Thread: Christmas Number One Contenders in your Country

1. Mentor
    UK

Christmas Number One Contenders in your Country

In the United Kingdom and Ireland, there is a tradition that the song that reaches number one in the chart the week before Christmas (or on Christmas Day itself if Christmas falls on the day in which the chart is published) is that years Christmas number one. Traditionally, this was the strongest chart week, where several big artists would release songs, but in recent years both UK and Ireland have had the most recent X Factor winner as the Christmas Number One.

In the UK it is most likely that the winner of this years X factor will once again take Christmas Number One, the 2014 version of Band Aid's "Do they know it's Christmas?" was considered a contender after gaining Christmas Number One with all three previous versions, but it has already fallen to number two this week. This will be the first time streaming has been including in the UK chart for a Christmas number one, so that could have an impact as well.

I know this not a tradition in any other Eurovision Countries, and that many countries do not even celebrate Christmas, but I thought it would be fascinating to see what gets to Christmas Number One around the world!

2. Mentor
    UK

Re: Christmas Number One Contenders in your Country

These are the equivalent dates for the Christmas Number One, since different countries publish their charts on different days of the week. United Kingdom publish their charts on a Sunday, so the UK Christmas Number One will be announced on the 21st of December.

Chart Published on Friday - 19th December
    Chart Published on Saturday - 20th December
    Chart Published on Sunday - 21st December
    Chart Published on Monday - 22nd December
    Chart Published on Tuesday - 23rd December
    Chart Published on Wednesday - 24th December (Christmas Eve)
    Chart Published on Thursday - 25th December (Christmas Day)

3. Legend
    UK

Hope its not X Factor winner, not keen on any of the remaining acts and sick of that programme now it's had its time.

If I could choose who would get it I'd pick Union J, but not gunna happen So I hope for Band Aid 30, at least its a charity

4. Mentor
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by MyHeartIsYours View Post
    Hope its not X Factor winner, not keen on any of the remaining acts and sick of that programme now it's had its time.

If I could choose who would get it I'd pick Union J, but not gunna happen So I hope for Band Aid 30, at least its a charity
    I've not been keen on X Factor this year either, the song choices have largely been dull, and the manipulation has now reached the point that everything seems pre-arranged, even if it isn't.
    Likes  MyHeartIsYours liked this post

5. WorldVision Mod
    Canada

We don't have anything like this here in Canada, but I do like to speculate on the UK race alongside one of my Skype contacts who lives in Manchester. I'm guessing it's going to be the X-Factor winner again, though I do believe Sam Bailey deserved it last year because she's phenomenal

If it's love, don't hate it

6. Legend
    UK

I guess if Fleur or Ben win X Factor the single will stand a better chance of No 1.

I do like the honour to go to a Christmasy song though really. 20 years ago it was East 17

7. Mentor
    UK

Bookies have slashed the odds for Mark Ronson's Uptown Funk becoming the UK Christmas Number One, after it was released in the UK early following a performance on X Factor. The song is currently number 1 on UK ITunes, with Fleur's X Factor Performance (which is ineligible to chart) at number 7.
    BBC News - Mark Ronson single rush-released after Fleur East's X Factor performance

It would be hilarious if X Factor was beaten to Christmas number 1 by a song that they caused to be released early! Probably won't happen though!