View Poll Results: How do you like the entry?

Voters
207. You may not vote on this poll

38 18.36%

21 10.14%

24 11.59%

26 12.56%

17 8.21%

26 12.56%

10 4.83%

13 6.28%

11 5.31%

3 1.45%

18 8.70%
Page 110 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110
Results 1,091 to 1,094 of 1094

Thread: ICELAND 2015 - Mara lafsdttir - Unbroken

ICELAND 2015 - Mara lafsdttir - Unbroken

Likes  sapsan liked this post

2. Expert
    France

Re: ICELAND 2015 - Mara lafsdttir - Unbroken

Time for me to review the Icelandic entry this year

Mara lafsdttir - Unbroken

Song: I listened to the song for the first time during the semi and to be frank, I remembered nothing but the underwhelming vocals... Had I been obliged to rank this song, it would have been near the bottom because I could not have hummed it to save my life, like seriously. Like Albania, this is one of the few songs I completely discovered when listening to the studio version afterwards, and I wouldn't say it's a bad song. It does lack character and originality - Icelandic would have been very welcome in this regard - but it's still not totally insignificant to my ears. I like the beat, the melody is cute. It gets repetitive after a while though, a bridge with a change of pace would have been great. It sounds like a song Emmelie de Forest would sing, which is not bad, but I guess it's still too soon for people to appreciate that kind of music again without thinking of the 2013 winner. Good effort Iceland, it's not a great song by any means to me, yet it's enjoyable and better than some recent Icelandic entries.

Voice: Gosh, Maria's vocals were the only thing that I remembered the first time. And I thought it was a disaster, I couldn't even concentrate on the song. Her voice is very childish, it's not what I prefer in terms of tone, but I guess it works with the song. However, the live performance was really bad, it seemed like she couldn't hit one single note right. Ok, she's Young. Ok, there's lots of pressure. But what can you do, I only judge what I hear. Sometimes, the performance is so-so but the song is so nice that it still works. Not here though.

Staging: Why? After Amber's been inspired by Conchita, why did they want to make Maria look like an Emmelie 2.0? This was the only thing to avoid, and they did it That's a shame, I'm convinced they could have presented it another way. Nothing wrong with what they came up with, it's just that it rings a bell. I've got the feeling the stage was quite empty, I don't know why.

Outcome: I thought she would have been a borderline qualifier despite her underwhelming performance. But non-qualification was deserved as far as the whole package is concerned. Based on the song only, it should have got through. In my personal ranking, Iceland is ranked between 18th-20th places, not a bad song but all the other aspects of the act were too disappointing to have a real chance of doing well unfortunately. See you next year Iceland, I hope for something stronger and with more character. What about bringing Icelandic back? Consider it please
    Likes  zoyuxi liked this post

3. Enthusiast
    United States

At first, I thought the song was boring, but the studio version of the song grew on me, and I now listen to it from time to time.

For the semi, I was disappointed that they opted for 5 backing vocalists instead of the 2 dancers. The dancers would have brought in some liveliness. Her live performance was bad, and it certainly did not deserve to go to the finals. Maria sounded like she was singing with a closed throat, like she was trying to force sound out while someone was throttling her. I hope she'll work with a vocal instructor who can help "free" her voice.
    Likes  tuorem liked this post

4. Amateur
    United States

To be honest, even if her vocals had been good at the semi I still think she would have been the Mei Finegold of 2015. I never thought this was as good as people painted it out to be because it's basically just the chorus over and over again. And really what else is there? Neither the music, message or vocals are outstanding. IMO, they should have made it bilingual. The change of language could make up for the lack of change of melody. :/

I'm not saying this is a bad song, but I do think it's grossly overrated. I guess most people think it has something special, but I'm not feeling it at all.

5. Junior Member
    Ireland
    I'll be in Lisbon this May, if that's what ya wanna know.

Maria is back, and wants to represent San Marino this year.

Edit: link fixed
    My Top 5 since 2009:
    1. Portugal 2017 - 2. Norway 2009 - 3. Italy 2013 - 4. Germany 2010 - 5. Norway 2014