PDA

View Full Version : ESC 2005 - Kiev, Ukraine

Mannone
27th March 2013, 22:18
Pryvit!

Now you are wondering, maybe even muttering: why is he wasting time on those early millennium years? Believe me, I'm really starting to call that in question myself. I guess I have a couple of incentives for starting these threads:

1. I think every year deserve, if not their own sub-forum, so at least one dedicated thread where you can comment on anything.

2. I haven't actually listened at those songs since back then, and so it's like I haven't heard many of them before. Not much to discover, obviously, but that's what I'm doing - re-discovering. In other words, I'm trying to find (CD-versions only) something at least decent that my nowadays settled taste in music may approve of, as it has changed very much since I was a teenager.

3. Many of us also want personal rankings from every year. Why not start with the early 2000's.

Whatever your incentives to contribute to this thread - just do it! Post Your top 10 or simply vent your spite upon your unbearables.

--------------------------------------------------

My view then.

The only thing I remember from this year was the swedish debacle accomplished by Martin Stenmarck and his ho'chestra. Las Vegas was so thoroughly ridiculous.

Anyway, I've now listened at the songs twice (many pauses today = bad sign). Yeah, surprise surprise, but I can't find anything above decent. This simply was not a good year. The almost interesting entries though:

1. ::tr - Gülseren - Rimi Rimi Ley

The only one that has something structurally addictive. Refrain is rather weak, but the verses is beautiful. They have something of that feeling which is always so difficult to explain. Maybe you hear memories of times long past or choose to call it soothing. Up to you, but it's there.

2. ::il - Shiri Maymon - Hasheket Shenish'ar

Rather decent, but in fact nothing but a replica of something recognizable.

3. ::by - Angelica Agurbash - Love Me Tonight

Rather weak, but her voice is quite unusual in a positive way.

4. ::gr - Helena Paparizou - My Number One

Another of the winning templets, but it's listenable. Twice.

I also thought ::rs and ::de had potential, but I changed my mind the other time around. Sh!t happens. Like this year.

Mannone
27th March 2013, 22:29
And my gutter squad:

39. ::al - Nerve-racking.

And an awful year for those big 2 (+ 1) too:

38. ::es - A horribly nagging latina. And they know how to cackle...
37. ::uk - Unimaginative and trashy...
36. ::ru - ...times two.

A-lister
28th March 2013, 01:18
It's Pryvit in Ukrainian not Privet ;)

Mannone
28th March 2013, 03:01
It's Pryvit in Ukrainian not Privet ;)

A cyrillic-to-latin trouble? How delicate. This is actually pretty hard to confirm with google. You could get both Privet and Pryvit, and at least one answer in favour of your spelling, clearly saying that Privet is russian and Pryvit is ukrainian. But not a very convincing source, and I don't trust your swe-krainian know-how all the way. Hehe. Let's see if it actually matters. I asked in the ukrainian language thread.

Edit: The wikibooks say "Pryvit", and that seems like a quite more reliable source! Interesting enough though, mylanguages.org says "Prīvіt". I guess the only definitely correct form is a proper solution. Cyrillic it is!

A-lister
28th March 2013, 03:21
A cyrillic-to-latin trouble? How delicate. This is actually pretty hard to confirm with google. You could get both Privet and Pryvit, and at least one answer in favour of your spelling, clearly saying that Privet is russian and Pryvit is ukrainian. But not a very convincing source, and I don't trust your swe-krainian know-how all the way. Hehe. Let's see if it actually matters. I asked in the ukrainian language thread.

Edit: The wikibooks say "Pryvit", and that seems like a quite more reliable source! Interesting enough though, mylanguages.org says "Prīvіt". I guess the only definitely correct form is a proper solution. Cyrillic it is!

So practically I was right then? ;)

But you did not trust me! xacademic

Ukrainian Cyrillic differs a bit from the Russian version of it...

::ua и = y
::ru и = i ---- ::ua і = i

;)

Mannone
28th March 2013, 03:35
But you did not trust me! xacademic

I always want to trust you. :)

Right or right... Well, you definitely impress me with this knowledge, but I've become too critical of sources. I mean, Wikibooks truly aint no standardizing organ. It's still a weak source, imo. However, considering that I don't know anything about transferring cyrillics to latin, it's overwhelmingly likely that you are more correct than I am.

A-lister
28th March 2013, 03:38
I always want to trust you. :)

Right or right... Well, you definitely impress me with this knowledge, but I've become too critical of sources. I mean, Wikibooks truly aint no standardizing organ. It's still a weak source, imo. However, considering that I don't know anything about transferring cyrillics to latin, it's overwhelmingly likely that you are more correct than I am.

You just have to trust me on it :)

I can read both the Russian and Ukrainian versions of the Cyrillic alphabet (well practically I can read more or less all European versions of the Cyrillic alphabet... I don't get all letters and sounds in the Central-Asian and Mongolian versions though) ;)

Mannone
28th March 2013, 03:59
You just have to trust me on it :)

I can read both the Russian and Ukrainian versions of the Cyrillic alphabet (well practically I can read more or less all European versions of the Cyrillic alphabet... I don't get all letters and sounds in the Central-Asian and Mongolian versions though) ;)

Actually, I just read your introduction and got to know about your ex-communist background (hehe!). I guess this matter is decided then! xsalute

Sleep tight. ;)

Matt
28th March 2013, 20:44
Hmm, I thought this was a really good year with plenty of good songs. Some great entries didn't even make it to the Final stage. ::nl ::is ::mc & ::at all had songs I enjoyed while some other crapfest such as the horrible song from ::mk made it through.

Here is my Top 10

::12 ::mt (There is something about her voice that turn an average song into something amazing)
::10 ::gr (Great winner, Helena's song was Greek, catchy, modern and memorable, the perfect recipe to victory)
::8 ::ro (The bad lyrics drive me crazy but it was incredibly catchy)
::7 ::il (Israel at its best, what a great performance)
::6 ::lv (not the best live singers but a cute song & performance)
::5 ::rs (a bit repetitive but what a beautiful melody)
::4 ::dk (just a chill song which is fun to sing along to)
::3 ::tr (This song was hated by the fans, I always thought it was one of the better Turkish entries)
::2 ::no (another "studio version is so much better" kinda song)
::1 ::al Albania (not bad, not amazing)

So as you can see, my personal Top 3 is almost identical which came as a big surprise to me cause that never happened before (and haven't ever since). This may explain why I have fond memories of the 2005 contest.

My hate entries that year were ::se & ::mk

Impressive
28th March 2013, 22:16
For final entries;

::hu had weird entry to be honest. Folk and cool stage performance for sure. Chrous part is so attractive but starting and some other parts are just kick you in the mood of that "Let's see, what is coming". But I like the song. If I would rate for the song I could give 7/10 I guess.

::uk sounds like ::ua 2012, American pop festival :lol: I don't think the song is bad but not a suprise for the result to be honest. It takes attention maximum 1:30, after is just background sound to me. My rate would be 4/10 at best.

::mt There are songs exist give me feelings and deeply thinking. Malta is close to this point on me but not enough to be honest. Yes, the singer Chiara is someone to respect her talent to sing but song is not to my taste. I loved ::hu 2011 for example, Kati Wolf with the song also with the lyrics give me lots of feelings. Chiara similiar to Adele, not same but very, very much close. Anyway, I would rate 8/10.

::ro xheart I love Let Me Try. One of my fav entry from Eurovision so far. First time I listened that song in the last summer and I remember for a couple of weeks it was like a drug taste to me. I would rate 10/10 for this entry.

::no Just another version of Hard Rock Hallelujah. This is different than usual Eurovision entries for sure. 9th place is not bad for that entry but I would wish for better. 9/10 for sure. Nothing is boring with that song.

::tr I don't know what to think about this song to be honest :D Something funny, something weird, something repulsive. I just can say that nice try from Turkey. :lol:

::md I hated Zdop şi Zdup in 2011, with that non-attractive entry. This one is quite much much and much better than "So Lucky". But not a fav. of course. I would vote 4/10 at best.

::al Albania must be my one of favourite country in Eurovision. 2004, 2009, 2010, 2012... All of them were amazing (2004 is a little weak though). This one is not bad at all, as good as 2009 entry. Result is obviously underrated for such an entry.

::cy is so dynamic :D I love it! Result is very underrated! Deserved Top 10 in my opinion. 9/10!

::es is the best so far! It doesn't make any sense, such a fun song how could take bottom 5! The most underrated so far! 10/10 xheart xheart

::il Chrous is nice to hear. She is able to sing for sure. But whole song bores me. Let's say 5/10.

::cs I usually hate Serbian and Montenegrian entries (Željko Joksimović makes me sick!!!) but this one is the one I liked very well. For now nothing sounds perfect but in time I am sure it grows up. 6/10 for now.

::dk Denmark entries are always very similiar :D 2008, 2009, 2011... and now I see that this one is not that different either. Attractive and funny. But 9th place is overrated for that in my tastes. I say 6/10.

::se I am simply impressed :o I didn't expect such an entry. Live performance sort of sucks but song is cool. Underrated! I would put it into my Top 10! 10/10!

::mk One more sounds folk entry here :) I don't think this is that bad but could be better xhmm 5/10 I say.

::ua The stage performance level is the best!!! But his voice is not appropriate for that song in my opinion, or just his strong point is not singing. Whole rap parts could be something better. Except of those details, the best after Spain so far. Rap parts and his voice killed everything, the stage performance saved to make it a good entry. I would rate for 7/10.

::de Well, song is not that bad but she destroies every every every soul and anything else. The karaoke version is very cool. What is that? Omg I'm confused so deeply :?

::hr Delete every part of the song, just save the chrous and listen in the summertime when you are in the car in a road xlisten2 3/10

::gr Just nice :D Helena sings very nice, the stage performance is cool, the violin part is just awesome. Deserved to win by herself, but I believe there were some entries better than Greece.

::ru Nice rock entry. The beggining has planned so smartly to take attentions for the song. Her voice is very correctly to the song. My decision is 7/10.

::ba Another three-bombs-attack! :D Song is attractive and dynamic but let's see Spain. Spain had better stage performance than Bosnia. But those girls are not bad at all. 14th place might be a little underrated but I like it. The wrong part has cut in the recap video. 8/10 is nice.

::ch I like Swiss entries in last years. Anna Rossinelli and Sinplus are very impressive. This rock entry is not as good as Sinplus because Sinplus made a song not that much hard. But I don't see any reason to put it in bottoms. 8th place is very very nice results for them. I say 9/10.

::lv OMG, Latvia is in final! :D Let's see.. 10th in semi final. Suprise? Not at all but should be. Because this time they did their best as it seems. I like the song. A tune to listen in the beach at sunset. 8/10.

::fr She has very cute voice. One of underrated entry here again! I will check all 24 songs again but France seems like to take my top 3 right now. 10/10 from my heart! xheart

So, here is my ranking of final:

::12 ::fr
::10 ::es
::8 ::ro
::7 ::no
::6 ::se
::5 ::mt
::4 ::ch
::3 ::gr
::2 ::lv
::1 ::ba

Just missed the Top 10 from my favourites;

11. ::cy
12. ::tr
13. ::ru
14. ::cs
15. ::al

and the worst top 3 of the 2005 from my tastes;
1. ::de
2. ::uk
3. ::md

Nicholas123
28th March 2013, 22:33
Overall, it was a stong year.

1. Greece was a deserving winner. Not my top 1 favorite, but the overall package made "my no1" the ultimate contender for victory.
2. Malta is an average song in my books, but Chiara's voice gave it the extra "oopmh" it needed to place second.
3. Romania was a decent pop song with a very dynamic stage presence.
4. Israel stole my heart from the very beginning. (But why this multilingual singing?).
5. Latvia-Not my cup of tea, just nice.
6. Moldova-it remains my favorite moldavian entry till now.
7. Serbia had an "epic" vibe, could have made a movie soundrack.
8. Switzelrand-catchy, good performance.
9. Norway, the same as Switzerland.
10. Denmark-i do not really remember.
11. Croatia-very good singer, that's all i remember.
12. Hungary. Ok here i am! My personal favorite ended up in a dissapointing 12th place! Why? Maybe the bad draw, maybe the main singer's weak voice. But from the semifinalbecame pretty obvious to me. Victory was simply not meant to be 4 Hungary.

Another sad moment was Iceland's shocking exclusion. The song was nice, but watching it live on stage was not that much impressive.

A-lister
29th March 2013, 03:46
One of my fav years!

My top. 10 - 2005:

::12::hu
::10::il
::8::gr
::7::hr
::6::al
::5::fr
::4::sl
::3::tr (Actually one of my favorite Turkish entries, never got the hate!)
::2::by (ok I know the live version sucked, but I'm ranking studio versions here ;))
::1::de (I actually never got the hate for this one?)

Smudy
30th March 2013, 00:52
Hungary was my winner back then. Absolutely brilliant, one of my all time faves in all Eurovision years, i watched. (2003-2012)

All in all, this Eurovision was really, really good, it had so many styles of music, great to watch.

aletem
7th April 2013, 08:50
An interesting year, without many ethnic ballads. Still a good year! I liked the stage and the graphics were amazing. I disliked the hosts, well the girl mostly!!
Songs that I enjoyed the most: Romania, Greece, Israel, Albania, Croatia, Norway and UK. I was fond of Poland (is one of my fave Polish entries.. I liked the gypsy-vibe there much more than in the Hungarian song, which was decent). Belarus was good and I also liked Spain a lot! :lol: Also Cyprus was pretty good too!! I also liked the Swedish song! Denmark and Finland were decent!

Entries I disliked: Switzerland, Latvia, Bosnia, Moldova, Portugal and Andorra. :oops: Also never got the love for the Slovenian and the Serbia & Montenegro entry.

anto475
2nd March 2014, 02:25
I am in absolute and utter love with ::ro from this year. I got an urge to listen to it a few days ago and I've been listening to it and watching the live performance non stop since. I mean it's just raw energy, the staging is industrial and extreme chaos, sparks, smoke, lights, those moving things, the fast-moving lights, it's all so excellent. And the drums match up with the visual cacophony absolutely. But the best thing about all this explosion of energy and ferocity is that it's like Luminita is drowning in it all, screaming out to her former lover, trying to get another chance, yet everything is suffocating her message. And it's done visually with the drummers coming in around her towards the end as well as audially. I can see how My Number One won, but this is the absolute best thing ever on a Eurovision stage. As a song alone, it's a bit weak, but the performance is exquisite. It fills the arena just enough, not overly excessive but it definitely doesn't underwhelm. Incredible.

Mlyn
19th April 2014, 17:51
12 Hungary
10 Israel
08 Latvia
07 Slovenia
06 Norway
05 Croatia
04 Serbia and Montenegro
03 Greece
02 Monaco
01 Switzerland