PDA

View Full Version : Should 3 Minutes Limit Rule Be Changed?

Impressive
12th January 2013, 14:02
This is crap rule.

I know, if show takes very long time, viewers reduction. But 3 minutes rule is not enought to introduce any song. Postcards take one minute and each song takes three minutes.

If we take postcards down to 30 seconds and let songs to be 3:30 minutes, it would be very impressive. In three minutes situation, every song has same period. 40 seconds opening part, a chorus, something same melody with different lyric, one more chorus and ending.

This is not appropriate for a musical, consort event.

CPV4931
12th January 2013, 14:57
I donīt think, that 30 seconds of postcards would be enough to prepare the next entry on stage.
But after all - if all songs would be 30 seconds longer the show would be about 15 minutes longer. I think, that would be acceptable.

CC92
12th January 2013, 23:44
I donīt think, that 30 seconds of postcards would be enough to prepare the next entry on stage.
But after all - if all songs would be 30 seconds longer the show would be about 15 minutes longer. I think, that would be acceptable.

Yes, but the length of the entries has actually never been a big issue for me. xshrug

Impressive
13th January 2013, 10:22
Yes, but the length of the entries has actually never been a big issue for me. xshrug

My favourite part of Taken by a stranger has taken by that rule at final performance.

GRE
13th January 2013, 17:30
This is one of the most old rules of ebu (3 min) and i don't think it will change.

AdelAdel
13th January 2013, 20:26
I agree that it should be changed to 3:30 or even 4 minutes. 3 minutes is way too short, many songs would sound way better if they could be longer. One of my personal prime examples would be Estonian entry of 2011. The second part of the song was TOO SHORT to be enjoyable, I felt like the chorus came twice in a row (with a barely noticeable 2nd part).

Every song for ESC is written specially to be exactly 3 minutes, if the rule was 4 minutes, I bet that many songs would still have around 3 minutes.

dizzydjc
13th January 2013, 20:28
Nah, I think it's OK. At a push I think limit could be extended by 30 seconds but that's it, it is a TV show after all.

I will always say though that they should (and need to) change the max 6 persons on stage rule. I honestly think more dancers or band members (as part of a "live" band) would give more dynamic on stage.

Mozz
13th January 2013, 20:33
For me, there should be a minimal length for entries, say 2 minutes and 50 seconds.

But I don't know. Some songs already start bore me at 1:50, due the seemingly endless repeats etc. I'm thinking of Friend in London's New Tomorrow. You know, the song that barely had any lyrics and in which the chorus was just repeated eternally.

And a maximum of 3 minutes of 20 seconds or so . Countries should be free to send entries between 2:50 and 3:20, that's my proposal.

Impressive
13th January 2013, 20:43
Nah, I think it's OK. At a push I think limit could be extended by 30 seconds but that's it, it is a TV show after all.

I will always say though that they should (and need to) change the max 6 persons on stage rule. I honestly think more dancers or band members (as part of a "live" band) would give more dynamic on stage.

At second part, about 6 people rule one, I completely agree with you. But this is not true place to discuss about.

And about that rule... So what, if it is a TV show? Limit should be keep that way only because of this is just a TV show? This is art, the music. Music is the way connect to soul, to feelings. Such a three minutes rule just restricts the way freedom. How can you call anything art without freedom, with restict? Like Mozz said, entries should be free to send between 2:50 and 3:20 is nice method, too. But this is very wrong way to keep show's time limit to me.

Jim
13th January 2013, 20:44
I think the limit will be better 3:30 minutes.

Mickey
14th January 2013, 19:21
How can you call anything art without freedom, with restict?

Art has to cope with all sorts of restrictions. Playwrights are limited to what they can physically do in terms of staging. Film directors have to cut down their films for commercial release and limit swearing, sex and violence to get the right certification. Comedians may be limited to a ten-minute set. A good artist needs to be creative within the boundaries they are given.

alca
15th January 2013, 14:25
No. I think 3 minutes are enough. On the other hand my favourites songs "end too fast". xD \
3:30 would be ok I guess but imagine having songs like San Marino 2012, Montenegro 2012 and Georgia 2012 playing for that long! :o :lol:

But two examples come to my head right now. I'd definitely want the full version Romania 2012! And Hungary 2011 coz there was no second verse. They went straight to the bridge after the first chorus...

Impressive
15th January 2013, 17:20
I'd definitely want the full version Romania 2012! And Hungary 2011 coz there was no second verse.
Doesn't Hungary 2011?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seip-u4KScU

alca
15th January 2013, 18:02
Doesn't Hungary 2011?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seip-u4KScU

I mean the ESC version.

Yamarus
16th January 2013, 09:30
I actually believe one of the reasons ESC songs tend to be so bad and forgetable is the 3 minute rule. Look at the vast majority of popular pop songs, almost none of them are so short. Of course I'm not saying length is the only reason for a song's success, but I think it influences quality more than one would think.

In the Sixties, pop songs were much shorter (2:30-3min) but not anymore.

MyHeartIsYours
16th January 2013, 20:48
I think the rule should be increased to 4 minutes.

Matt
17th January 2013, 01:33
Art has to cope with all sorts of restrictions. Playwrights are limited to what they can physically do in terms of staging. Film directors have to cut down their films for commercial release and limit swearing, sex and violence to get the right certification. Comedians may be limited to a ten-minute set. A good artist needs to be creative within the boundaries they are given.

I agree.

We need to look at this from the perspective of the casual viewer and the broadcaster.

Listening to 25 songs a night is already pushing the attention span for most viewers, adding 30 seconds to each song would be a significant increase and making a show that is already over 3 hours long even longer just seems unreasonable. Yes, ESC fans like us would LOVE this change but we are in the minority. And they have to work within thoseparameters, as Mickey said it's common procedure in the entertainment industry. Making the show even longer may also rub broadcasters the wrong way as they already are allocating a big chunk of time to this event.

Terence
19th January 2013, 17:47
4 minutes may be too long... 3.30 is reasonable enough though some songs are already repetitive themselves in just 3 minutes, so an extra half a minute would make them sound even more boring!

I remember France 2002 was well over the 3 minutes limit and so the final version sounded so weird back then!

I don't know, but all in all I'd say it should stay as it is, so that crap lasts shorter!!

Impressive
19th January 2013, 18:38

But this is about being succesful artist, not making art, isn't it?
If 200 min longer movie could cut into 120 mins, this is director's success. But this is not "making art".

Quent91
23rd January 2013, 11:39
they should allow songs to last between 2:45 and 3:30

;)

A-lister
24th January 2013, 01:40
I think 3.00 limit is a bit too low, I think they atleast should stretch it to 3.30. I mean some argue that making the songs longer would make people bored, but then why even watch ESC if you don't like it enough in the first place that you'd get bored with some potentially extra 15 minutes of music?

Also notice that the show didn't really get much shorter, but they cut the exciting voting bit which was one of the most crucial points of the whole concept... in favor of more middle-act and opening act cr*p ... so atleast allow the songs to be able to be a bit longer. For some entries it's not needed. It's not as if the show would really be that much longer, and imo they could cut down of some of the useless mid stuff then instead.

anto475
24th January 2013, 08:35
I think 3.00 limit is a bit too low, I think they atleast should stretch it to 3.30. I mean some argue that making the songs longer would make people bored, but then why even watch ESC if you don't like it enough in the first place that you'd get bored with some potentially extra 15 minutes of music?

Also notice that the show didn't really get much shorter, but they cut the exciting voting bit which was one of the most crucial points of the whole concept... in favor of more middle-act and opening act cr*p ... so atleast allow the songs to be able to be a bit longer. For some entries it's not needed. It's not as if the show would really be that much longer, and imo they could cut down of some of the useless mid stuff then instead.

I don't agree with changing the limit, I think it's perfect. Yes some of the song might be lost in editing down to the limit, but it's good to give some parameters to the artists/songwriters, I mean a picture can only be as big as the canvas you paint it on. Just as there are physical parameters (i.e. 6 people on stage, the size of the stage, etc.), so too must there be non-physical parameters. It brings fairness.

However I do agree with cutting down on some of the non-essential nonsense that does be going on. Cutting down on the voting and pressuring votes announcers to hurry up is terribly annoying and if they just cut even 5 minutes from the start and interval, it would be great!

escYOUnited
27th January 2013, 21:31
ESCUNITED article with your comments. Three minute Eurovision songs? Too short or just right? | escunited.com (http://www.escunited.com/home/three-minute-eurovision-songs-too-short-or-just-right/)

bubblingtrue
24th March 2013, 22:32

does anyone know why the 6 persons rule exists? I understand there needs to be some sort of limit...but why 6?

Impressive
24th March 2013, 22:38
does anyone know why the 6 persons rule exists? I understand there needs to be some sort of limit...but why 6?

When I asked the same before time someone said me that lots of people might break the concentrated on the song. It doesn't look enough to be an excuse to me though.

whiteshoes
24th March 2013, 22:45
Although the duration of a song hasn't necessarily something to do with its quality, I think a perfect song should take 3:30 or 4 minutes... I noticed that most of the songs in playlist are about 4 minutes... I think it's annoying that many songs can't take part in ESC because they are too long and they have to shorten it.
But through shorting it, lot of quality is getting lost (for example parts without singing)
The chance to fall in love with the song is not that big

Verjamem
26th March 2013, 19:02
I think, 3 minutes is too short. EBU should increase the limit of song duration to 3,5 or 4 minutes.

NemesisNick
26th March 2013, 21:33
The trouble is, lengthening the song time limit to 4 or 5 minutes would drastically increase the duration of the ESC final. Do we really want it to go on for 4 or 5 hours?

Impressive
26th March 2013, 22:05
The trouble is, lengthening the song time limit to 4 or 5 minutes would drastically increase the duration of the ESC final. Do we really want it to go on for 4 or 5 hours?

No one offers to take 4 or 5 minutes for each song already. Give a length between 2:40 - 3:30 or 3:40 for each song makes so much difference for duration of ESC final really?

SRBIJA
27th March 2013, 00:06
3,30 would be just fine IMO. :)

EscTurkey
1st April 2013, 19:41
What about this?
Every country has the right to go with a song with 3:30 duration but they have to pay 5.000 euros extra for every second after 3:00 xD
If they REALLY need that time, they can pay and do it.
Likewise for more than 6 people on stage.
Does that sound too stupid? :D:D

Verjamem
23rd May 2013, 16:39
Not many, but a bit :p
Every country should have right to send a song, which maximal duration 3 minutes and 40 or 50 seconds. That's all I want to say, about this.