PDA

View Full Version : Eurovision Withdrawals

MyHeartIsYours
6th December 2012, 19:24
BBC News have been reporting that Greece and Cyprus shall withdraw from the Eurovision Song Contest after next year's contest, joining Portugal, Poland and Slovakia who will be out of 2013.

The EBU say that they anticipate "the usual number" of countries when Sweden hosts the event in Malmo in May, but it is thought that the number of participants will fall to its lowest number for 7 years - 38. With the expected departure of Greece and Cyprus for 2014, it is a notable reduction in participants since the high of 43 countries in 2011.

One has to ask, is Eurovision past its best?

BBC News - Eurovision bosses call dropout reports 'premature' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20605959)

Matt
6th December 2012, 19:32
BBC News is speculating here, that's not really reliable news. There is no proof or even talk about Greece & Cyprus withdrawing the next year. And let's just assume it's going to be the case, Poland, Portugal and/or Slovakia could return that year evening it out.

IT is true that it is a come and go with countries so that's not my concern. My problem was the financial aspect of the withdrawals & not the popularity of the contest. Let's just wait for the deadline and final list of participants before running into conclusions. And even if we only have 38 countries. That's one less than in 2010 so not really a dramatic drop.

Trece
6th December 2012, 22:25
I can't imagine Eurovision without Greece and Cyprus (and Portugal of course)

MyHeartIsYours
15th December 2012, 01:50
Oh I think there is a problem, isnt there! ;)

Milos-BC
15th December 2012, 10:20
The reason for all these withdrawals is not money, I am pretty certain. I do not want to underestimate any country's economical status or to be taken badly, but if countries like Albania and Moldova have the money for participation than it is certain that these countries that withdrew have as well. The reason that TRT stated is ........is a bit of (tragic-)comedy , but it is also lubrication of one's eyes and it is certainly not the real reason.

Unfortunately, I predicted correctly about 1-2 months ago that we may see a number of countries withdrawing as a result of these horrible changes that are introduced to the contest by SVT. While they may not be a sole reason for the decision, I believe that they are a good inducement for it.

Nikkita
15th December 2012, 14:47
Unfortunately, I predicted correctly about 1-2 months ago that we may see a number of countries withdrawing as a result of these horrible changes that are introduced to the contest by SVT. While they may not be a sole reason for the decision, I believe that they are a good inducement for it.
Besides TRT(cause TRT doesn't even care about Eurovision now because it's not Arabvision),i agree with you.

MyHeartIsYours
15th December 2012, 21:13
What "horrible" changes would make a country withdraw?

I heard one Turk saying that they're paying as much as the Big 5 but are not allowed to join which is a bit of a LOL moment!

Milos-BC
16th December 2012, 10:06
^^ Well, all these that were implemented so far. A predetermined draw, for example.

DannyDS
16th December 2012, 18:08
This is EXACTLY what Björkman and SVT want.. To get rid of the Eastern European countries.

MyHeartIsYours
16th December 2012, 18:51
They didnt have to leave if they didnt want to. They've always told the UK and others to "shut up and put up" when things werent going our way, now it's not going their way they just storm out - very childish!

Milos-BC
17th December 2012, 10:28
^^ I think these 2 things can't be compared. BBC, for example, was creating conspiracy theories that everything is political and that the whole Europe together with the Pope and the aliens hate the UK and even the black people in 2008, so those were the sole reasons for their failures, not the entries they were sending. The non-satisfaction of the countries that withdrew has much a deeper background, not connected to the results in most cases. Do you think Bosnia and Herzegovina withdrew because of their bad results?