PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite debut entries since 1956?

A-lister
17th October 2012, 23:01
Plenty of countries have entered Eurovision, some are still active participants and some haven't entered for years (and some states doesn't even exist any longer), but there will always be just one first time for every country. So what are your favorite debut entries in ESC? (You can make a top list or just mention your favorites).

If you don't know the debut entries, here's a list of the debut entries by country since ESC 1956 (in 1956 the debut countries entered two entries each, also in case of Serbia and Montenegro I will count their debut entries as part of ::cs as their debut entries but you are free to define it as you please):

1956:
::be Fud Leclerc - "Messieurs les noyés de la Seine" & Mony Marc - "Le plus beau jour de ma vie"
::fr Mathé Altéry - "Le temps perdu" & Dany Dauberson - "Il est lŕ"
::de Walter Andreas Schwarz - "Im Wartesaal zum großen Glück" & Freddy Quinn - "So geht das jede Nacht"
::it Franca Raimondi - "Aprite le finestre" & Tonina Torrielli - "Amami se vuoi"
::lu Michčle Arnaud - "Ne crois pas" & "Les amants de minuit"
::nl Jetty Paerl - "De vogels van Holland" & Corry Brokken - "Voorgoed voorbij"
::ch Lys Assia - "Das alte Karussell" & "Refrain"

::at Bob Martin - "Wohin, kleines Pony?"
::dk Birthe Wilke & Gustav Winckler - "Skibet skal sejle i nat"
::uk Patricia Bredin - "All"

::se Alice Babs - "Lilla stjärna"

::mc Jacques Pills - "Mon ami Pierrot"

::no Nora Brockstedt - "Voi Voi"

::fi Laila Kinnunen - "Valoa ikkunassa"
::es Conchita Bautista - "Estando contigo"
::yu Ljiljana Petrović - "Neke davne zvezde"

1962-1963
No debuts

::pt António Calvário - "Oraçăo"

::ie Butch Moore - "Walking the Streets in the Rain"

1966-1970
No debuts

::mt Joe Grech - "Marija l-Maltija"

No debuts

::il Ilanit - "Ey Sham"

::gr Marinella - "Krasi, Thalassa Kai T' Agori Mou"

::tr Semiha Yankı - "Seninle Bir Dakika"

1976-1979
No debuts

::ma Samira Bensaďd - "Bitaqat Hob"

::cy Island - "Monika"

1982-1985
No debuts

::is ICY - "Gleđibankinn"

1987-1992
No debuts

::ba Fazla - "Sva bol svijeta"
::hr Put - "Don't Ever Cry"
::sl 1X Band - "Tih deževen dan"

::ee Silvi Vrait - "Nagu merelaine"
::hu Friderika Bayer - "Kinek mondjam el vétkeimet?"
::lt Ovidijus Vyšniauskas - "Lopšinė mylimai"
::pl Edyta Górniak - "To nie ja!"
::ro Dan Bittman - "Dincolo de nori"
::ru Youddiph - "Vyechniy stranik"
::sk Tublatanka - "Nekonečná pieseň"

1995-1997
No debuts

::mk Vlado Janevski - "Ne zori, zoro"

No debuts

::lv Brainstorm - "My Star"

2001-2002
No debuts

::ua Oleksandr Ponomaryov - "Hasta la Vista"

::al Anjeza Shahini - "The Image of You"
::ad Marta Roure - "Jugarem a estimar-nos"
::by Aleksandra & Konstantin - "My Galileo"
::rs Željko Joksimović - "Lane moje" (as part of ::cs)

::bg Kaffe - "Lorraine"
::md Zdob şi Zdub - "Bunika Bate Toba"
::me No Name - "Zauvijek moja" (as part of ::cs)

::am André - "Without Your Love"

::cz Kabát - Malá dáma
::ge Sopho Khalvashi - "Visionary Dream"

and in case you consider these as single debuts and ::cs as another debut on its own:
::me Stevan Faddy - "'Ajde, kroči"
::rs Marija Šerifović - "Molitva"

::az Elnur & Samir - "Day After Day"
::sm Miodio - "Complice"

2009-2013
No debuts

AdelAdel
17th October 2012, 23:12
The ones I like are: ::de::es::ie::mt::il::cy::is::hr::hu::pl::lv::ua:: al::ad::cs::md::am

CPV4931
17th October 2012, 23:15
I really like Fazla´s entry for ::ba in 1993 - my favorite of the list above.

A-lister
17th October 2012, 23:20
So here's my top. 10 debut entries:

1. ::pl 1994
2. ::ru 1994
3. ::rs 2004
4. ::ge 2007
5. ::il 1973
6. ::fi 1961
7. ::se 1958
8. ::hu 1994
9. ::lv 2000
10. ::ch 1956

NemesisNick
18th October 2012, 15:59
re: opening note

1956: Whilst it's true that each country entered two songs that year (the only time that's happened in ESC history), if I'd started this thread, I'd have called it favourite debut songs, in which case each country's first entry in 1956 would appear here. Switzerland won with their second song of the night "Refrain", thus their first ever song "Das alte Karussell" did not win.

2004: the fourth new country on the list should be Serbia & Montenegro, not Serbia. Serbia didn't exist as an independent country then. Željko Joksimović - "Lane moje" represented Serbia & Montenegro, not just Serbia. So this cannot be classed as Serbia's debut entry.

2005: there were only 2 new countries Bulgaria and Moldova. Although No Name - "Zauvijek moja" came from the part of Serbia & Montenegro that's now Montenegro, it's Serbia & Montenegro's 2nd entry, and cannot be classed as Montenegro's debut entry; Montenegro still didn't exist as a standalone country then.

2007: this is the year Montenegro and Serbia first entered as completely separate countries (i.e. not part of Serbia & Montenegro), therefore there are officially four debuants that year: Czech Republic, Georgia, Montenegro, Serbia.

AdelAdel
18th October 2012, 16:24
That's right, and if we follow this logic further, then Serbia made their debut in 1961, Croatia in 1963, Bosnia & Herzegovina in 1964, and Slovenia in 1966 (all part of Yugoslavia, ofc).

A-lister
18th October 2012, 16:26
re: opening note

1956: Whilst it's true that each country entered two songs that year (the only time that's happened in ESC history), if I'd started this thread, I'd have called it favourite debut songs, in which case each country's first entry in 1956 would appear here. Switzerland won with their second song of the night "Refrain", thus their first ever song "Das alte Karussell" did not win.

2004: the fourth new country on the list should be Serbia & Montenegro, not Serbia. Serbia didn't exist as an independent country then. Željko Joksimović - "Lane moje" represented Serbia & Montenegro, not just Serbia. So this cannot be classed as Serbia's debut entry.

2005: there were only 2 new countries Bulgaria and Moldova. Although No Name - "Zauvijek moja" came from the part of Serbia & Montenegro that's now Montenegro, it's Serbia & Montenegro's 2nd entry, and cannot be classed as Montenegro's debut entry; Montenegro still didn't exist as a standalone country then.

2007: this is the year Montenegro and Serbia first entered as completely separate countries (i.e. not part of Serbia & Montenegro), therefore there are officially four debuants that year: Czech Republic, Georgia, Montenegro, Serbia.

Someone is being stiff :lol:

Firstly, I think it's a bit far-stretched to take into consideration exactly on what minute of the 1956 show an entry got presented. Both entries were sent to compete and the starting order doesn't really make the other the "debut" song and the latter not imo, since that's probably an order made-up after the entries have been chosen, so it's more a coincidence, therefor I consider them equal in terms of debut songs (entries), but you are free to disagree of course.

As for Serbia & Montenegro I already explained my definition, but I did add their "debuts" as independent countries aswell to the list. I think it all depends on how one defines a country and a debut basically. I was even thinking of splitting up the different Yugoslav entries aswell, but I just settled for doing that with Serbia & Montenegro. I mean if one remembers how Evropezma (the Serbia & Montenegro selection method) worked, then half of the entries were from Montevizija (representing Montenegro) and the other half from Beovizija (representing Serbia). So it all depends on how one look at it. Just like with Yugoslavia's selection method Jugovizija, it was a federational pre- contest for ESC. I mean for example a Swedish entry in ESC doesn't become an entry for the European Union does it?

Also, if we are to be really accurate, the 1992 Yugoslav entry would have to be considered the 'actual' Serbia & Montegro debut (or atleast a debut on its own terms) then because this was the first (and last) entry by the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia (which practically was the same country as Serbia & Montenegro only that it changed name after a while when it officially recognized itself as a union rather than federation between the two states).

Bottom-line is instead of being picky on someone else's 'work', why don't you share your favorites instead? :D You are free to define debuts as you please.

A-lister
18th October 2012, 16:32
That's right, and if we follow this logic further, then Serbia made their debut in 1961, Croatia in 1963, Bosnia & Herzegovina in 1964, and Slovenia in 1966 (all part of Yugoslavia, ofc).

Actually it was Slovenia 1961 and Serbia 1974. Montenegro got their first entry as part of ::yu in 1983.

I was first thinking of doing like this, but since the borders were more unclear back then in terms of entries in Yugovizija (the same acts would enter for different states at times), I thought it was easier to make the distinction regarding Serbia & Montenegro. But, if you want to add your opinions and want to count the single Yugoslav entries as debuts instead then you can do that of course.

CypriotGirl
19th October 2012, 16:30
Not fan of many debuts... The only ones I like:

::gr Marinella - "Krasi, Thalassa Kai T' Agori Mou"

::cy Island - "Monika"

::ad Marta Roure - "Jugarem a estimar-nos"

::md Zdob şi Zdub - "Bunika Bate Toba"
::me No Name - "Zauvijek moja" (as part of ::cs)

A-lister
20th October 2012, 02:04
^
Wow those are the ONLY debuts you like? :?

I must agree though that most of the debuts weren't the countries best moments in this contest, but I think there are more good debuts than just so few then.

CypriotGirl
20th October 2012, 19:18
^
Wow those are the ONLY debuts you like? :?

I must agree though that most of the debuts weren't the countries best moments in this contest, but I think there are more good debuts than just so few then.

Of course, If I search I'll find more that I like, but I don't remember most of the titles of the debut songs before 21st century, and this means that they didn't make any impression in me while I came across them in BT, so I don't think I like them... xhmm

And most debuts of 21st century were either horrible or mediocre, except the ones I mentioned!

r3gg13
20th October 2012, 20:18
Based on the songs that I know, I could only say that I like ::lv and ::al's debut entries

Nikkita
21st October 2012, 17:45
::am,::by,::cz,::md,::cs,::rs and ::tr's

greece
2nd June 2014, 11:59
Basically I have only 5
::cs,::pl,::sm,::rs and ::ge

Realest
7th November 2017, 23:40
I have only 3:

1) ::ge 2007
2) ::rs 2007
3) ::cs 2004

LastDreamer
8th November 2017, 15:16
My top 5 :
1. Netherlands (De Vogels Van Holland)
2. United Kingdom
3. Denmark
4. Switzerland (Das Alte Karussell)
5. Luxembourg (Ne Crois Pas)

scratchthat2009
17th November 2017, 18:05
::lu 1956 (Michele Arnaud - Ne Crois Pas)
::es 1961 (Conchita Bautista - Estando Contigo)
::il 1973 (Ilanit - Ey Sham)
::gr 1974 (Marinella - Krasi, Thalassa Ke T' Agori Mou)
::tr 1975 (Semiha Yanky - Seninle Bir Dakika)
::ma 1980 (Samira Said - Bitaqat Hub)
::ba 1993 (Fazla - Sva Bol Svijeta)
::hu 1994 (Friderika Bayer - Kinek Mondjam El Vetkeimet?)
::lv 2000 (Brainstorm - My Star)
::md 2005 (Zdob si Zdub - Boonika Bate Doba)
::ge 2007 (Sopho - Visionary Dream)
::rs 2007 (Marija Serifovic - Molitva)
::sm 2008 (Miodio - Complice)

Neo
25th November 2017, 13:57
Easy. This one: