PDA

View Full Version : Foreigners/naturalized immigrants/ performance in eurovision

Stuff
30th July 2012, 21:47
I was kinda new to the eurovision Mythos so please enlighten me. I heard that foreigners who are not a citizen of a certain country have won eurovision before. from what i heard, Celine Dion is the biggest example.

I also heard Luxembourg is usually represented by a French National rather than an actual local. Then we have immigrants representing their adoptive countries as well. I know some of them did well, some of them didnt.

I wanna know who are some notable immigrants who represented their adopted country and win?

I also wanna know if there are other "foreigners" like Celine Dion who represented a country that is not her country.

another one I wanna know, how many person of color had won Eurovision?

What ESC country where immigrant singers/ Guest foreign singer does well.....

lets say I have plans to immigrate in an ESC country....I know I am very ambitious and it sounds impossible but I can dream right? I heard there are countries taht get frowned by neighbors if someone who is not a native represents them while there are countries were the voting block neighbors dont mind who represents them.

AdelAdel
30th July 2012, 21:57
From recent Eurovision, Vanilla Ninja - an Estonian band represented Switzerland in 2005.

All entrants from Monaco were French.

80% entrants from Luxembourg were French.

The Herreys, who won for Sweden in 1984 are in fact Americans.

Stuff
30th July 2012, 22:12
so Americans had won Eurovision before....LOL,

How many naturalized singers/2nd generation immigrants had won Eurovision before?

If Monaco and Luxemberge got active again, Being a French citizen may be a good thing cos its 3 chances to be in eurovision.

Switzerland seemed to be foreign representer friendly, cos before the Estonian band you said there is Celine Dion. I guess to be an acceptable Representative of Switzerland I may have to learn German or French.

I heard a Half Indonesian Danish girl won for Denmark before, I am not sure though if she looks Asian or she passed as white. but if she looks Asian , It means an Asian immigrant may have a chance to win eurovision given the right song.

Archer
30th July 2012, 22:23
Don't forget Jon Lilygreen :p

Stuff
30th July 2012, 22:41
he didn't do well though but I did like his song and his chemistry with the Islanders. . Have a person of African descent won eurovision before?

Archer
30th July 2012, 22:43
he didn't do well though but I did like his song and his chemistry with the Islanders. I know "foreign" composers thrive in Eurovision. Have a person of African descent won eurovision before?

Loreen :lol:

Milos-BC
30th July 2012, 22:49
I am personally totally against having someone who has no connections with a certain country at all representing it. Having, for example Justin Timberlake representing Serbia.........or having Anabel Conde representing Norway is totally lame imo.

Yes, I know that this opinion of mine is maybe conservative for some, and I know that this is also some form of modernization that is present in other fields as well (in sport too, as national teams tend to be managed in the same way as clubs do), but it totally kills the spirit of the competition imo and it also kills the main idea behind the whole thing. It is a modern trend, but it doesn't automatically mean that everything that is modern is also good.

But to make some things clear - a representative of Serbia (for example) doesn't have to be Serbian by blood. Republic of Serbia isn't a country of Serbs, but citizens of Serbia. And under citizens I assume that it can be any other nation, but someone who has lived here for a certain number of time, who knows the language, etc.........who has some roots in the country he/she is representing. So, that is normal and that is the right way to go. Immigrants can also represent that country for me, as they are also citizens of the country, they live there, and in such circumstances they must be allowed to play by the same rules as anyone else. No misunderstanding there.

But having for example Vanilla Ninja representing Switzerland is one of the most ridiculous things I have seen. Or imagine if I was to compete in ESC and I go to represent Finland. My connections with Finland are the same like the connections of Felix The Cat with Hogwarts. If Carola sang for Serbia and won, I would feel absolutely nothing.

It happens in sports too, we can often see someone who has no connections with the country at all playing in the national team of that country. The association just gives him/her a passport and it is enough to buy him/her. And it doesn't matter that he/she doesn't even know to say "hello" in the language of the country he/she is representing.

If, for example, the Serbian national soccer team had Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Buffon etc........in our national team and if "we" won the World Cup that way, for me personally it could never be the success of ::rs. I like modern trends, but as I noted earlier, I also like to keep and look out for some traditional values too.

Stuff
30th July 2012, 23:00
so you dont mind Anggun representing France because she is naturalized and had been living there for years right? But you wont like the idea of Jennifer Lopez representing Belarus. How about an Italian American representing Italy?

Milos-BC
30th July 2012, 23:05
^^ Yes, absolutely correct. She has lived there for years and she is a citizen of France, so she has all rights of this world to represent ::fr in ESC. Jenifer Lopez doesn't have anything in common with Belarus, so that is what I really do not support at all. Such mixes are total nonsense for me.

Italian American is also totally ok to represent Italy imo.

Archer
30th July 2012, 23:13
I totally agree with Milos. In addition, It's also wrong that expatriates representing their home country, although they have no any connection (in terms of citizenship and residing) with there, and it's a big disrespect toward the country which contributes to their training and education the most.

AdelAdel
30th July 2012, 23:35
so you dont mind Anggun representing France because she is naturalized and had been living there for years right? But you wont like the idea of Jennifer Lopez representing Belarus. How about an Italian American representing Italy?

In my opinion, the artist should have some connection to the country they represent, most notably - having citizenship or at least living there.

nofuxCZ
2nd August 2012, 01:26
Karel Gott, a Czech singer, represented Austria in 1968 :mrgreen:

Stuff
2nd August 2012, 03:19
are they "naturalized"? or they were foreigners representing another country?

nofuxCZ
2nd August 2012, 14:11
Karel Gott was a foreigner representing another country.

LakZaNokte
2nd August 2012, 18:31

Tereza (represented Monaco in 1966) is Croatian singer :mrgreen:

Sabiondo
2nd August 2012, 18:49
Betty Missiego (2º place at Eurovision 1979) is from Peru, but she was live in Spain long time ago :). Also Eva Rivas (Armenia 2010) is a Russian Citizen.

Sim
2nd August 2012, 19:05
Non-belgians representing Belgium:

1977 : Dream Express (they are dutch but lived in Belgium for some time)
1982: Stella

Sabiondo
2nd August 2012, 19:20
Non-belgians representing Belgium:

1977 : Dream Express (they are dutch but lived in Belgium for some time)
1982: Stella

Also add Veronica Codesal, Part of Urban Trad (Belgium 2003) she is from Galicia, Spain.

Stuff
3rd August 2012, 02:32
I just found out that Anggun is not the first first Asian in Eurovision and not the first Indonesian neither.

LalehForWD
3rd August 2012, 11:23
From recent Eurovision, Vanilla Ninja - an Estonian band represented Switzerland in 2005.

80% entrants from Luxembourg were French.

The Herreys, who won for Sweden in 1984 are in fact Americans.

Not true at all. Herreys are all born, raised and lived most of their lives in Sweden. They attended a Hollywood school (paid by their father) and pretty much a product of Swedish producer Bert Karlsson.

AdelAdel
3rd August 2012, 20:07
Not true at all. Herreys are all born, raised and lived most of their lives in Sweden. They attended a Hollywood school (paid by their father) and pretty much a product of Swedish producer Bert Karlsson.

But aren't they ethnically American? This topic is about immigrants after all.

Sabiondo
3rd August 2012, 20:23
Tina Karol (Ukraine 2006) was born also in Russia, but from Ukrainians parents :)

bubblingtrue
24th March 2013, 22:54
I heard a Half Indonesian Danish girl won for Denmark before, I am not sure though if she looks Asian or she passed as white. but if she looks Asian , It means an Asian immigrant may have a chance to win eurovision given the right song.

ANYONE has a chance to win Eurovision with the right song. I don't really understand your statement!

Stuff
24th March 2013, 23:56
there are people who are assuming someone who is not fully white cant win Euro vision.

Verjamem
25th March 2013, 00:02
lets say I have plans to immigrate in an ESC country
I want to do the same in future. Poland will not come back on Eurovision for long years, Polish TV don't broadcast the show and Polish people are not liking contest. So why not ?
I think, EBU should establish the rules participating in Eurovision. Person who want to represent Belgium, should have: citizenship or confrimed origins (parents).

toinou03
25th March 2013, 01:39
The only black person to have won Eurovision is Dave Benton, and he was born in Aruba and moved to the USA, before moving to the Netherlands, there meeting an Estonian girl and moving again to Estonia ! :D

Joëlle Ursull was very close to be the first black woman to win Eurovision. But she's french as she was born in Pointe-à-Pitre in Guadeloupe. :)

French entrants of foreign origin or foreigner entrants...

1965 : Guy Mardel was born French Sefarade-Jewish in French Algeria
1969 : Frida Boccara was born French Jewish-Italian in French Morocco
1977 : Marie Myriam was born in Belgian Congo in a Portuguese family and became French
1989 : Nathalie Pâque is Belgian ::be
1991 : Amina is Tunisian ::tn
1992 : Patrick Fiori is born in an Armenian family in Marseille
1996 : Dan Ar Braz was accompanied by a Welsh and a Scottish singer
1997 : Fanny is from Italian and Spanish descent
2000 : Sofia Mestari is Morrocan ::ma
2001 : Natasha St-Pier is Canadian ::ca
2003 : Louisa Baïleche has Italian and Algerian descent
2004 : Jonatan Cerrada is Belgian and has Spanish descent ::be
2005 : Ortal was born in Israel and has Spanish and North-African descent but she's French
2010 : Jessy Matador was born in Democratic Republic of Congo and has been naturalized French
2012 : Anggun was born in Indonesia and has become French with marrying a French man

French oversees entrants :
1981 : Jean Gabilou from Tahiti
1990 : Joëlle Ursull from Guadeloupe
1992 : Kali from Martinique
1998 : Marie-Line was born in the Hexagone in a family from Martinique

bTW, This is France :) xheyaxclapxcheer

Nikkita
25th March 2013, 14:12
I think anyone has got the citizenship of the country can be Eurovision candidate of that country.There are a lot of immigrants from Bulgaria and Greece(but they are Turkish) in Turkey and they usually got the citizenship of these two countries.I would not find it wrong if Bulgaria is represented by a Turkish person.

BTW i don't remember so much foreigner singer represented Eurovision from Turkey.I only know Can Bonomo is Sefarade-Jewish and his family come from Spain long,long ago.Also i think Hadise has got Belgian citizenship.

Yamarus
25th March 2013, 23:46
BTW i don't remember so much foreigner singer represented Eurovision from Turkey.I only know Can Bonomo is Sefarade-Jewish and his family come from Spain long,long ago.Also i think Hadise has got Belgian citizenship.

Yes Hadise is still Belgian. I don't know when she moved back to Turkey, but it can't be before 2009. AFAIK her whole family still lives in Belgium.

doctormalisimo
26th March 2013, 03:03
Really....no one here has mentioned the Australian born Johnny Logan? :?

Sean
26th March 2013, 14:25
...or the American Katrina Leskanich?

Verjamem
26th March 2013, 18:59
Many of ESC artists was lived/borned/came from foreign countries. Making the full list, is some unnecessary :p But I can tell, the first person outside Europe which participated in Eurovision was Esther Ofarim (::ch 1963, 2nd place), she come from Armenia.

toinou03
26th March 2013, 21:19
Many of ESC artists was lived/borned/came from foreign countries. Making the full list, is some unnecessary :p But I can tell, the first person outside Europe which participated in Eurovision was Esther Ofarim (::ch 1963, 2nd place), she come from Armenia.

She's Israelian actually ! ;)

Verjamem
27th March 2013, 17:49
Oh sorry, my mistake ;)

Terence
6th April 2013, 10:04
How about the cocktail from ::ch 2006?

Now that's the worst case of foreigners representing one country. True, one of the girls was Swiss but the others have no connection with Switzerland as far as I know - Malta, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Portugal, Sweden, Israel... you can't really get more desperate than that, can you?

toinou03
6th April 2013, 11:12
you can't really get more desperate than that, can you?

The most desperate was to call Ralph Siegel... xrofl3

But, somehow, it's less curious than having hired Vanilla Ninjas which had only connection with Switzerland, having charted in Germany. The French-speaking never had heard of them... But behind that, there was money :lol: because it can't be hazard that Switzerland and Germany were represented by singers with the same management, the same authors, (same kind of great entries), and were implied in the scandal of David Brandes, which led Vanilla Ninjas to come back to Estonia and Gracia to the end of her carrier...

BTW, someone mentioned foreigner Turkish entrants, I remind also that Gülseren (2005) is naturalized French ! :)

SRBIJA
6th April 2013, 14:55
If im not mistaken, Anna Vissi is a Cypriot actually, as well as Nikki Ponte who was in final of Greek selection in 2011.

toinou03
6th April 2013, 15:21
If im not mistaken, Anna Vissi is a Cypriot actually, as well as Nikki Ponte who was in final of Greek selection in 2011.

Lukas Giorkas, Eleftheria Eleftheriou and many others also are cypriot but Greece and Cyprus are two of a kind ! :)

Terence
15th April 2013, 15:07
The most desperate was to call Ralph Siegel... xrofl3

But, somehow, it's less curious than having hired Vanilla Ninjas which had only connection with Switzerland, having charted in Germany. The French-speaking never had heard of them... But behind that, there was money :lol: because it can't be hazard that Switzerland and Germany were represented by singers with the same management, the same authors, (same kind of great entries), and were implied in the scandal of David Brandes, which led Vanilla Ninjas to come back to Estonia and Gracia to the end of her carrier...

I agree, internal selection, Siegel... all sounds fishy + there was the chart manipulation issue.

This always raises a question for me - do some countries REALLY have no one interested/talented* enough to take part and represent the country?

*(talent is not always necessary, ask Belarus)

SpZ
15th April 2013, 16:24
For Estonia the foreign artists have been the double swedish horror of Sahlene and Sandra Oxenryd + Dave Benton (who was living in Estonia at that time - so is quite ok)

Terence
22nd April 2013, 14:02
Sahlene was great xheart and Sandra wasn't bad either!

Scooby
22nd April 2013, 14:25

Cyprus and Greece are two body and one soul

LoveHate
13th May 2013, 12:51
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only foreign persons to represent Finland are Geir Rönning (2005) from Norway, and Viktor Klimenko (1965) born in the Sovjet Union close to the current border. Rönning had lived in and still lives in Finland. Klimenko has lived in Finland since a very young age.

Jari Sillanpää (2004) was born in Sweden, but I think he has always been a Finnish citizen.

12Points
12th August 2013, 19:06
so Americans had won Eurovision before....LOL,

How many naturalized singers/2nd generation immigrants had won Eurovision before?

If Monaco and Luxemberge got active again, Being a French citizen may be a good thing cos its 3 chances to be in eurovision.

Switzerland seemed to be foreign representer friendly, cos before the Estonian band you said there is Celine Dion. I guess to be an acceptable Representative of Switzerland I may have to learn German or French.

Oh did you mean Christina Chanée? she is half Thai-half Danish, not half Indonesian, if you still don't believe me just check at Wikipedia, Christina Chanée - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Chan%C3%A9e)

Guilep
12th August 2013, 22:35
Miriam (::mt 1996) is from Brazil
Rybak is from Belarus
Paparizou is from Sweden
Dave Benton (::ee 2001) is from Aruba
Some Mandinga members are from Cuba
Soluna is from Guatemala