PDA

View Full Version : USA in Eurovision

FilipFromSweden
5th June 2012, 23:56
Do you think USA (United States of America) should join Eurovision? I have heard they want to but they can't. They are not in the EBU area.
Just think if they won: they would be the most awesome hosts ever. Just look at their stages at MTV awards.
I have also heard people say: If USA was in the Eurovision, they would win all the time. I don't think that is correct. Many countrys have big superstars that can send their best song ever and win. But they wan't the money. What do you think?

CPV4931
6th June 2012, 00:00
I think before USA, Australia would join Eurovision ^^
In my opinion this should be only possible with the often discussed "Worldvison".

Filip
6th June 2012, 00:08
I think before USA, Australia would join Eurovision ^^
In my opinion this should be only possible with the often discussed "Worldvison".

"Worldvision"... I like that. xyaay

Jim
6th June 2012, 00:15
Yes, I like the idea of "Worldvision" too!

Cooler
6th June 2012, 00:31
I'd like to see that too, but I really doubt it'll ever happen.

FilipFromSweden
6th June 2012, 00:46
with all political problems and all that war issues it will never happen -_-

r3gg13
6th June 2012, 00:50
I don't think we should join, sending a commentator should be the most USA should do :)

AdelAdel
6th June 2012, 00:52
USA should have their own "Americavision" with 50 states participating.

LakZaNokte
6th June 2012, 01:15
I would watch that :D

daniels1000
6th June 2012, 01:16

Wow,great idea :D

daniels1000
6th June 2012, 01:18
That will not happen I think.Australia faster,imo.I think that in future, EBU will allow Australia to compete one year,just because they follow Eurovision next year and they promote it there.

doctormalisimo
6th June 2012, 02:17
I'm not sure if this thread is serious.

Canada is quite a successful ESC nation though. Theyve won more times (once in 1988) than most countries :lol:

sannerz
6th June 2012, 03:03
I think Eurovision belongs in Europe.

No one else should be able to participate.

No Name
6th June 2012, 03:06
Wtf, no. Wouldn't like them in ESC at all, same goes for Australia.

I like Eurovision the way it is and expanding ESC to include more members outside the eurozone would kill the contest. We're already close to what I consider full capacity, and to be honest, I quite like ESC to be a closed contest bringing together the European continent, not the entire world.

Plus, who the hell would like to see USA win five times in a row?

FilipFromSweden
6th June 2012, 11:40
Wtf, no. Wouldn't like them in ESC at all, same goes for Australia.

I like Eurovision the way it is and expanding ESC to include more members outside the eurozone would kill the contest. We're already close to what I consider full capacity, and to be honest, I quite like ESC to be a closed contest bringing together the European continent, not the entire world.

Plus, who the hell would like to see USA win five times in a row?
I agree a bit ;) it is our party. Only we, the cool cultural countries who can compete.
USA would not win all the time. Just think of all the great artists in the UK. Do they participate? No..

alca
6th June 2012, 13:26
Stick to the european countries please!

MyHeartIsYours
6th June 2012, 13:29
Id rather have the United States in than Middle Eastern or North African countries!

Sean
6th June 2012, 13:41
US and Australia in Eurovision? Really?! -__-

LalehForWD
6th June 2012, 14:10
Stick to the european countries please!

Totally agree. There are a lot of Americans who have interest in Eurovision mainly due to it is just Eurovision. The fact that no American broadcasting company is covering the contest is a problem though.

MyHeartIsYours
6th June 2012, 14:15
Funny how when it's in reference to Westernised countries, it's cool to say it should only be EUROvision, when I say it regarding Syria, Jordan, Morocco, it's terribly evil!

Yamarus
6th June 2012, 14:32
Funny how when it's in reference to Westernised countries, it's cool to say it should only be EUROvision, when I say it regarding Syria, Jordan, Morocco, it's terribly evil!

Poor, victimised MHIY.

Sean
6th June 2012, 14:36

Because Morocco and the US are exactly the same distance away from Europe

MyHeartIsYours
6th June 2012, 14:51
Im used to the anti-Western campaigns by now anyway!

MrJadeEwen
6th June 2012, 15:34

Morocco, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Lebanon are all within the EBU Satellite border, that's why they are allowed to enter. USA is not in the EBU Satellite border, plus if they were to ever enter I don't actually see them taking it seriously.

Sean
6th June 2012, 15:52
Im used to the anti-Western campaigns by now anyway!

You're hilarious :lol: So you'd rather let in the United States, a country far away from Europe, outside of the EBU region and culturally very dis-similar to Europe over countries within the EBU range, bordering Europe but sharing similar cultures and willingness to take part? Right...

DanielLuis
6th June 2012, 16:05
You're hilarious :lol: So you'd rather let in the United States, a country far away from Europe, outside of the EBU region and culturally very dis-similar to Europe over countries within the EBU range, bordering Europe but sharing similar cultures and willingness to take part? Right...
Well to be honest USA's culture is much closer to Europe than some of the North African countries, but yeah they should be able to enter because they're in EBU's broadcasting area while USA clearly isnt :D

MyHeartIsYours
6th June 2012, 16:07
I dont want any to enter, given the choice between the US/Canada/Australia entering, or the Arab states, believe me Id choose the former any day! I was just merely pointing out the hypocrisy of some people here =)).

Israeliboy
6th June 2012, 17:11

Agree :)

Yoni
6th June 2012, 17:19
Agree :)

Um.. you do remember on which continent we are right now, right? :lol:

Israeliboy
6th June 2012, 18:39
Um.. you do remember on which continent we are right now, right? :lol:

We are mixed, Europe,Asia and Africa :)

doctormalisimo
6th June 2012, 20:13
Because Morocco and the US are exactly the same distance away from Europe

actually some of the islands of Alaska are just a few miles away from Russia, so yes, they are about the same distance away :geek:

PoppySnuggleGlass
6th June 2012, 23:09
Bleh, I'd rather see separate contests for each continent. Admittedly, an Antarctica contest wouldn't be particularly riveting!

It's a shame the Our Sound, The Asia-Pacific contest didn't go ahead as planned (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Sound). That would have been truly awesome. Imagine J-Pop and Bhangra on the same stage! *sigh*

EscGeek
6th June 2012, 23:13

and finally...12 points from North Dakota goes to... South Dakota :lol:

CypriotGirl
6th June 2012, 23:15
I'd love to have World Vision too. Each continent to have its own "vision" like Eurovision, Americavision, Asia/Pacific-vision, Africavision, and then the top 10 of each one to compete in World Vision! Would be awesome!

AdelAdel
6th June 2012, 23:31
I'd love to have World Vision too. Each continent to have its own "vision" like Eurovision, Americavision, Asia/Pacific-vision, Africavision, and then the top 10 of each one to compete in World Vision! Would be awesome!

As much as I would love for that to happen, it's not going to be possible. And even if it happened, it would never a complete ???vision, because unlike Europe, all other continents have a lot of underdeveloped countries, which wouldn't take part.

EscGeek
6th June 2012, 23:34
As much as I would love for that to happen, it's not going to be possible. And even if it happened, it would never a complete ???vision, because unlike Europe, all other continents have a lot of underdeveloped countries, which wouldn't take part.
well...in eurovision 1956 only 7 countries participated....:p

Cooler
7th June 2012, 00:12
1) You can't really compare the participation of Morocco and USA
2) It wouldn't be fair to the rest of the world if the USA could enter the ESC
3) If everyone joined, it'd be too much
4) After all, I don't think Americans are that interested in the ESC, if they were, they'd, at least, broadcast it, but they don't

alca
7th June 2012, 12:01
and finally...12 points from North Dakota goes to... South Dakota :lol:
xrofl3xrofl3xrofl3xrofl3 So true!! :lol:

But to get serious, I don't want to see any more countries in the contest that are out of the european borders (even if they're in the EBU borders). And I don't want Israel to leave either!

busybee
7th June 2012, 12:16
I would never want to see USA in eurovision. Even Israel seems like a stretch to me but, since it's been there for ages, I'm used to it.

A-lister
7th June 2012, 15:10
NO!

I don't want Worldvision! It's called Eurovision for a reason.

It would get too big and technically messy if it becomes Worldvision, and the original concept would be dead forever.

If people want Worldvision that's fine, as long as Eurovision stays EUROvision!

And quite seriously, this thread should be moved to the future topics because it has nothing to do with the 2013 one.

duff
12th June 2012, 07:29
As an American I would never want to see the US in Eurovision. They wouldn't get it, and to my knowledge there is no interest or intention on broadcasting it. Also, Worldvision probably wouldn't work either...does anyone remember the bore that was World Idol? Speaking as one of the few Eurovision fans in the US, I'm perfectly content with Eurovision with the way it is and watching it from the online stream!:)

demonl
27th January 2013, 06:04
Wait a little and westernism will become big to fight economic depression and cultural oppression from those who only wish to trash western civilization, then there can be a western vision :)

Liam
16th March 2013, 14:46
Don't know about the US, but I think Australia will be in the Eurovision Song Contest within 5-10 years. Geographically we are so far from Europe - the show would be on at like 5am local time on the East Coast (3am in Perth lolol), but as long as they show it and allow people to vote, the EBU can say nothing. Then repeat it in the evening at 8pm as it is usually shown on the Sunday would get the viewers SBS hope for. Culturally, most Australians are European. My best friends are Turkish, Finnish and Maltese/Italian by descent, and they support their own countries in ESC, and I support the UK. I'd say if Australia were to enter though, I, and they, would support them first and foremost. I can't trust the UK to send a good entry after all! SBS is an Associate EBU member, and I think Eurovision has a big enough fan base here to take off. Euphoria and Satellite were top 40 hits in Australia, and Euphoria was on the playlist of my local radio station for a while!

Verjamem
16th March 2013, 20:03
I think Australia should participate. They are more involved in contest than e.g. shitty broadcaster in Poland.

bubblingtrue
24th March 2013, 23:28
One of the most obvious reasons for these countries not entering (apart from the fact they are not in Europe or the EBU broadcasting area) is the time difference....the show would need to broadcast live, and it would be like first thing in the morning for them, or in the middle of the night!

Nikkita
25th March 2013, 15:15
That is very ridiculous to me.That's EUROvision lol.
OK Armenia,Israel,Turkey and Azerbaijan are in but they have similarities and connections with Europe.USA would be too.too much.But they can send a commentator.

r3gg13
25th March 2013, 15:34
I would prefer a commentator + live broadcast on EBU associate station (ABC) rather than actually sending an entry. I would rather watch ESC than golf or whatever is on noon time block in ABC :lol:

Hell, I would love even to just have BBC America to broadcast Eurovision.

SRBIJA
28th March 2013, 19:53
There is a rule that ESC Show starts at 9pm CET. If USA won, European would have to wake up at 3am in order to watch Eurovision. xthink So no.

Would be fun having them in some similar competitions ( like WorldVision ;) ) but I will like to see Eurovision kept inside European continent. ( With exception of Kazakhstan since part of them is actually European and they are in UEFA as well :lol: )

LalehForWD
29th March 2013, 02:47
It is rather surprising no broadcaster in the US is sending ESC BMO. There must be a lot of Europeans in diaspora who probably would be fanatic ESC viewers. The show in itself is better than much American crap broadcasted in Sweden. The uberboring Oscars Academy Awards for example. I can't believe there are very expensive fees, but it could be one problem.

Or it's just the infamous odd factor.

A-lister
29th March 2013, 03:03
It is rather surprising no broadcaster in the US is sending ESC BMO. There must be a lot of Europeans in diaspora who probably would be fanatic ESC viewers. The show in itself is better than much American crap broadcasted in Sweden. The uberboring Oscars Academy Awards for example. I can't believe there are very expensive fees, but it could be one problem.

Must be one of your better comments actually! Agree almost 100% 8-)

Matt
29th March 2013, 05:09

Since the US isn't represented, they don't give a flying fart unfortunately. Yes, there are quite a few European fans out here watching the show online but it's not even remotely enough to justify a live broadcast :(

A-lister
29th March 2013, 05:11
Since the US isn't represented, they don't give a flying fart unfortunately. Yes, there are quite a few European fans out here watching the show online but it's not even remotely enough to justify a live broadcast :(

Really? There's alot of crap shows being broadcasted, I can totally see this attracting atleast enough viewers...

LalehForWD
29th March 2013, 20:47
Obviously analysis must have been done, perhaps several times by different parties about the possibilities to broadcast. They all seem to have come to the same conclusion that it wouldn't be profitable. Too bad because it would perhaps mean at least some little steps for the participating artists into the US.

As time goes by, TV will mean less and less though - in favour for online events. Eurovision is already very much an online event worldwide, so it may not really matter much any longer. Perhaps.

Quent91
24th May 2013, 19:58
I wonder why BBC America doesn't broadcast the show xhmm

It would be a great opportunity to make the contest known in North America :)

esc87fan
24th May 2013, 22:12
USA, like Canada, is an associate member of the EBU (aka we can't broadcast Eurovision programming). On top of that, the USA has a ton of networks at their disposal while we have one national public broadcaster - the CBC. The very least that can happen is that either BBC America (BBC Canada here) could air the contest with the British commentary (I would LOVE to hear Graham Norton's snark!) or send a commentator to the contest - they would have to be educated in the ways of the contest, of course

lucian-crusher
25th May 2013, 00:48
::us can't handle Eurovision. They would be capable of sending Rambo Amadeus and be conviced that he is the best artist in Eurovision :lol:

Quent91
25th May 2013, 00:54
::us would mainly be jealous of not being able to participate and to send their big stars like Beyoncé, Rihanna, Timberlake, Madonna, Spears and all that stuff hoping they would easily win :D

But we all know that confirmed stars flop every year at Eurovision.

Adrian
25th May 2013, 07:10
USA, like Canada, is an associate member of the EBU (aka we can't broadcast Eurovision programming). On top of that, the USA has a ton of networks at their disposal while we have one national public broadcaster - the CBC. The very least that can happen is that either BBC America (BBC Canada here) could air the contest with the British commentary (I would LOVE to hear Graham Norton's snark!) or send a commentator to the contest - they would have to be educated in the ways of the contest, of course

Australia is also an Associate member of the EBU and we broadcast Eurovision, we even send our own commentators.

esc87fan
25th May 2013, 23:15
I would love to see more countries outside of Europe show an interest in the contest like Australia does. If Canada were to send a commentator, we'd have to send two - one English and one French

Eurovisionified
26th May 2013, 00:03
The US can have a huge contest of their own. All 52 states competite in 8 finals and meets in a grand finale of 26 numbers. Just the cheer numbers and diversity of american music is mind blowing. Over 279 million people, many huge arenas and a television-friendly concept. It would of been huge.

Just imagine:

"Song Nr. 3! Texas! "With love I found you." "

DanielLuis
26th May 2013, 00:49
The US can have a huge contest of their own. All 52 states competite in 8 finals and meets in a grand finale of 26 numbers. Just the cheer numbers and diversity of american music is mind blowing. Over 279 million people, many huge arenas and a television-friendly concept. It would of been huge.

Just imagine:

"Song Nr. 3! Texas! "With love I found you." "

Gosh no. That would make eurovision be overlooked and I just cant have that :lol:
Plus, they would probably do something like American Idol out of it and would miss the whole points. Besides, if the entries would be something like USA's mainstream songs I'd give it a pass.

Quent91
26th May 2013, 00:54
yeah, and there would be ads every 10 minutes xpuke

cassio
26th May 2013, 03:41
yeah, and there would be ads every 10 minutes xpuke

Well it will properly be broadcasted after midnight anyway so who cares

cassio
26th May 2013, 03:44
I think they should have their own show...... If US win they will have to transmit the shows from US in the mornings local time and who many US people is going to watch that?

No let US broadcast ESC If they want to just like Australia........ Or let them do their own

Nikoreindeer1973
4th June 2013, 12:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u-qxNQ-HK4&noredirect=1

r3gg13
4th June 2013, 17:30
I personally wouldn't watch an American version of ESC, it doesn't fit and the context is really different.

What I would love is for BBC America or ABC (the American broadcaster associated with EBU) to show ESC either live or delayed until the evening. I don't care, I just want to watch it on TV instead of the internet :lol:

Yamarus
4th June 2013, 18:10
Yeah BBC America should broadcast it like a day after, and just the Grand Final for starters. If properly advertised it might gather a decent audience and promote BBC America further!

r3gg13
5th June 2013, 00:50
Yeah BBC America should broadcast it like a day after, and just the Grand Final for starters. If properly advertised it might gather a decent audience and promote BBC America further!

If anything ABC should advertise it. Watching ESC is better than watching noon-time golf matches :lol:

Surprisingly, more and more of my friends are becoming aware of ESC. I have 5 American friends who watched it this year! :D

Terry
5th June 2013, 21:16
Does the American broadcast use American commentary? If not, what commentary do you use?

r3gg13
5th June 2013, 23:19
Does the American broadcast use American commentary? If not, what commentary do you use?

We don't get our own broadcast. If people subscribed to European TV stations, then they get whatever commentaries those stations offer.

EscTurkey
8th June 2013, 03:10
A big NO from me!
I like Eurovision because it is a great alternative to mainstream American music.
If they want to be involved, they can broadcast it or even be able to vote in the final (I think they will vote neutrally).
But I don't really want them to have a song in the contest.
But if they won't make some kind of American Idol out of it, and take it seriously sending sth like Rihanna, I take back all I have said. :D

Verjamem
9th June 2013, 18:31
(I think they will vote neutrally).

They are melting pot. I don't think so.

pinkchiffon
10th June 2013, 08:47
Never, not participation, not voting - it's not for us, we can only be spectators. I do wish there were as much enthusiasm for it here as Australia seems to have, though. The only people I've met who follow it either have close family in Europe (many of us don't, even if we do have distant European ancestry), or study/have an independent interest in something Europe-related. I would be in favor of a broadcast here, maybe on BBC America as suggested, but I can't imagine it achieving a large viewership from the set who watch American talent shows, for instance.

Eurovision comes on at noon-3pm depending on time zone in the US, btw. Not a horrific time of morning like in Australia, but still early enough that it's not appropriate to start drinking. :lol:

AshleyWright
9th August 2013, 20:44
(I think they will vote neutrally).

Well i doubt Russia will expect any points from... And i'm sure they will flip out if countries like the UK, France and Germany given Russia points. USA would be the biggest politicizer in the contest.

cassidian
13th August 2013, 01:13
Worldvision... AKA- Muricavision.

DanielLuis
13th August 2013, 03:28
Never, not participation, not voting - it's not for us, we can only be spectators. I do wish there were as much enthusiasm for it here as Australia seems to have, though. The only people I've met who follow it either have close family in Europe (many of us don't, even if we do have distant European ancestry), or study/have an independent interest in something Europe-related. I would be in favor of a broadcast here, maybe on BBC America as suggested, but I can't imagine it achieving a large viewership from the set who watch American talent shows, for instance.

Eurovision comes on at noon-3pm depending on time zone in the US, btw. Not a horrific time of morning like in Australia, but still early enough that it's not appropriate to start drinking. :lol:

It could be broadcasted in a deferred hour. Australia broadcasts it at night I think.

tuorem
13th August 2013, 04:03
Oh my! Isn't the USA already in the contest? :o
I mean every year we get Disney ballads and standard pop-rock songs, I guess it's enough :D

justjazzy
13th August 2013, 05:24
They are melting pot. I don't think so.

The US would be totally biased. Hell, I'M biased when it comes to what countries I like for ESC too. I don't mean to be, but I can't help it. ;)

justjazzy
13th August 2013, 05:41
My short answer for the US joining is no. One of the reasons why I like Eurovision is that it's not US produced, and I can learn about great musicians from around the world. BBC America should show Eurovision with BBC commentators, because I bet they could find a target market for it if more people know what the show was. If you love our sets though, hire a US designer!

As for 50 Statesvision or whatever, we kind of already have that. It's America's Got Talent. I think due to cultural differences, the show is very different from Eurovision. For one, in stead of music acts people can perform whatever they want. Though most of the acts are musical. Additionally, there is not much of an age cut off. 10 year olds can compete against granny.

But what really makes AGT different from ESC is the attitude of the participants and the fans. Participators are trying to 'make it', therefore by taking themselves too seriously the show loses that funny and campy feel that ESC has, and makes ESC so wonderful. Also, I know people argue that ESC is not political, but it totally is. That is another reason why I love it, politics are fascinating! AGT is not political. And finally, the fans are such a huge part of what makes any show/ music act great. ESC fans are so passionate about the show, which is wonderful to see. AGT fans are no so die hard about it.

I can't see a ESC version of the show happening in the US. Then again, everyone in Hollywood also said 'The Voice' was the dumbest idea ever. So who knows.

Sabiondo
8th October 2015, 04:13
Well I think that ::au stay in Eurovision, will encourage to ::us to join Eurovision as well because in the USA lastly the contest is gain recognition as well.

If many thought Australia in Eurovision would be a great thing, await when the Americans and other Americans will invade Eurovision too to assume our world renowned singers 8-) then the EBU will be regreting in having manipulated and changed their own rules at their will.:twisted:

LesterMalvo
8th October 2015, 12:51
Instead, I'd like to see USA having a song contest of their states. At least they wouldn't have neighboor voting.

niko
8th October 2015, 14:44
I don't want the USA to take part of Eurovision. We can hear their Niki Minaj crappy bullshit on the radio the whole day. No thanks.

Sabiondo
8th October 2015, 21:55
We can hear their Niki Minaj crappy bullshit on the radio the whole day. No thanks.

She is from Trinidad & Tobago! :p

Carrie
9th October 2015, 02:19
USA, USA xcheer

lavieenrose
9th October 2015, 18:13
I say this as an American who loves his country (hard as some may make that) as well as as a devoted Eurovision fan who embraces this contest and takes it as his life:
Please god no. We would ruin it.

A U.S. version of Bundesvision would be fun in theory, but if you think Eurovision bloc voting is bad...

Sabiondo
26th April 2016, 23:40
Eurovision arrives on Withe House with Barack Obama on his Discus about the biggest invents of European Union!! :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTvcMb0iD5E