PDA

View Full Version : Sexuality and Eurovision

ukboy
3rd June 2012, 14:54
I have often wondered why such a large proportion of gay men enjoy eurovision so much. I would like to see what other people's sexual prefrences are to see some demographics. Does anyone have a theory between eurovision and sexuality?

MyHeartIsYours
3rd June 2012, 22:24
Homosexual :p I have no idea why it is (it does seem to be mainly in the Western countries though that it rather gay :D) - I started watching and was a fan way before I knew I was gay so I really cannot explain it!

QwaarJet
4th June 2012, 01:01
I put other as my best description is pansexual.

ukboy
4th June 2012, 01:12
Homosexual :p I have no idea why it is (it does seem to be mainly in the Western countries though that it rather gay :D) - I started watching and was a fan way before I knew I was gay so I really cannot explain it!

I was just a kid when I was rooting for Dana International to win (my first eurovision) and then I knew I was gay many years later. My boyfriend loves eurovision. Most of my gay friends love it. When you look in to the audiences at eurovision, its mostly all men...looking rather gay. Its from all countries I think you see many gay men at eurovision. In Azerbaijan they were very reluctant to show much of the audience this year I noticed. Dusseldorf on the other hand fully embraced the campness going on inside.

Eurovision is the world cup for gays

Mozz
4th June 2012, 01:16
I wonder how the few non-gay men on this forum feel about the fact that most male forum members are gay. How do they feel about it?

ukboy
4th June 2012, 01:42
I wonder how the few non-gay men on this forum feel about the fact that most male forum members are gay. How do they feel about it?

I would actually like to meet and shake the hand of a hardcore fan of eurovision who is straight and then make him take a gay test, to see if he is telling the truth :lol:

MyHeartIsYours
4th June 2012, 01:56
I was just a kid when I was rooting for Dana International to win (my first eurovision) and then I knew I was gay many years later. My boyfriend loves eurovision. Most of my gay friends love it. When you look in to the audiences at eurovision, its mostly all men...looking rather gay. Its from all countries I think you see many gay men at eurovision. In Azerbaijan they were very reluctant to show much of the audience this year I noticed. Dusseldorf on the other hand fully embraced the campness going on inside.

Im from the Jemini-era so I dont remember Dana International but when you're loving Scooch, Dima Bilan and Silvia Knight, I doubt it'd take a genius for anybody to work out my sexuality just from checking who I loved at ESC :lol:.

its mostly all men...looking rather gay.
Glad Im not the only one to have noticed! :mrgreen:

Hell yah! :D

GodSaveTheQueen
4th June 2012, 02:08
Generally hetrosexual men loves eurovisions in Turkey.

ukboy
4th June 2012, 02:11
Generally hetrosexual men loves eurovisions in Turkey.

Are you hetro? Do the women love it?

GodSaveTheQueen
4th June 2012, 02:12
Are you hetro? Do the women love it?

already i'm woman. and i love men =)

Mozz
4th June 2012, 02:21
Actually, the poll should be for male forum members only. I think it is being and will be 'polluted' by many straight female forum members :p, so that we won't/can't tell how many gay vs. straight male forum members we actually have.

ukboy
4th June 2012, 02:22
already i'm woman. and i love men =)

In the UK we percieve the contest to be the gayest thing on the planet, how do you and Turkey see it. Do many gay men like the contest in your country. I always see alot of enthusiastic gay men in the audiences.

MyHeartIsYours
4th June 2012, 02:25
Actually, the poll should be for male forum members only. I think it is being and will be 'polluted' by many straight female forum members :p, so that we won't/can't tell how many gay vs. straight male forum members we actually have.
There will be lesbian fans too I imagine to balance that out! ;)

ukboy
4th June 2012, 02:33

women ruin everything :lol: even statistics

Filip
4th June 2012, 02:57
I'm straight and I love ESC. :)

r3gg13
4th June 2012, 06:43

I'm straight and it doesn't really faze me that most of the male members gay. I have gay friends and they're as fun as people can get :D.

pablorabia
4th June 2012, 10:15
I am not gay. I am not straight either. I like women but I consider myself a lesbian trapped in a man's body :) (noone cares about us)

At times I find some gay or gaylike people kind of attractive but not in a sexual way.

I've been watching Eurovision since the age of eleven (2001). Then, I didn't knew that most Eurovision fans were gay. I realised it some years after and I didn't mind.

Eurovision became very popular in Greece the years after 2001. Market share of ESC in Greece was the following:

2001: 24,3%
2002: 50,0%
2003: 58,9%
2004: 75,5%
2005: 82,3%
2006: 82,6%
2007: 74,4%
2008: 78,8%
2009: 78,9%
2010: 72,5%
2011: 68,6%
2012: 59,8%

So, not only gay people were and are watching this contest. Even those who criticized it (many so called "intellectuals" par example) were watching it only to criticize it.

A friend of mine, heterosexual 100%, has a theory that all people are naturally born bisexual. :) Then comes family and religion and ideology and this sort of things and most of us lose our nature :p I tend to agree with this theory..

ParadiseES
4th June 2012, 10:20
Asexual ;)

OK I'm gay :lol:
Most Spanish fans are gay too, but I've known some straights or females too and lots of gays who dislike it. If we talk about who watch Eurovision on Saturday night, we'll find everything.

sannerz
4th June 2012, 10:54
SHould have made the poll with gender differences too. Straight and gay males and females.

Kicker
4th June 2012, 12:17

Hm. I already adjusted to it, so it isn't something special anymore... ^^

LMLandLoreenfan
4th June 2012, 12:53
Ok...I am a girl and I am lesbian.:p

CPV4931
4th June 2012, 13:19

I (one of the few hetro-sexual ESC-fans^^) also adjusted to it...
I mean, I´m very tolerant in this case so it doesn´t make such a great difference to me if I celebrate with gays or with hetro-sexuals.

Sean
4th June 2012, 14:16
Straight male. Eurovision is camp but people watch it from all walks of life here :lol:

MyHeartIsYours
4th June 2012, 14:19
Wow the straight's are winning! :lol:

doctormalisimo
4th June 2012, 14:21
Wow the straight's are winning! :lol:

of course. I dont think there is a gay majority on the forum, it's just appears that way because you guys are a lot more vocal about your sexuality.

MyHeartIsYours
4th June 2012, 14:33
I guess so! I just had always thought that the gays outnumbered the straights :lol: At least when you add the bi's on to us we're still winning :lol:

seb89
4th June 2012, 14:40
We're always in the minority :lol:

MyHeartIsYours
4th June 2012, 15:06
We're always in the minority :lol:
If we're not even in the majority on Escforums there's no hope! :lol:

Metafeller
4th June 2012, 19:11
In Turkey, I don't think mostly gays love this contest. Maybe gays like, too but I don't think more than straight people.
Hmm... Objective... Gays' and lesbians' loving this contest more than straights teory kinda bothers me I guess. Anyway, I have no prejudice. Doesn't matter who loves mostly. Eventually all of us humans :P

FilipFromSweden
4th June 2012, 19:33
Well everyone is actually bi, kind off. Not everyone gets attracted to the same gender. But loving someone just because they have a thing down there is inpossible ;)

Quent91
4th June 2012, 19:36
I'm straight and I love Eurovision :geek:

ukboy
5th June 2012, 17:36
If we were to look at how many gay men vs straight men there were in Europe, you would more likely find a percentage higer in majority of people who are fans (not an overall majority in numbers, obvoisly becaise there are more hetrosexuals in the world). But the age old question is what attracts gay men to eurovision like a 'moth to a flame'. There must be something so appealing to it that I cannot see. Im so baffled :?

FilipFromSweden
6th June 2012, 20:49
Eurovision is happy, gays are happy ;)
haha no, i voted bi :) but i like guys most so :S

FilipFromSweden
6th June 2012, 20:50
In Turkey, I don't think mostly gays love this contest. Maybe gays like, too but I don't think more than straight people.
Hmm... Objective... Gays' and lesbians' loving this contest more than straights teory kinda bothers me I guess. Anyway, I have no prejudice. Doesn't matter who loves mostly. Eventually all of us humans :P
In turkey gays get kicked out of the army

EscTurkey
8th June 2012, 23:30
In turkey gays get kicked out of the army

You are sooooo misinformed!
Get your facts straight! (Not implying anything :D)
Most gays don't want to join the army in Turkey and we give them the right not to do it.

EscTurkey
8th June 2012, 23:37
I think the case in Turkey is very similiar to that in Spain.
Yeah, most biiig fans are gay("most") but those who watch ESC on Saturday are young, old, male, female, shemale etc. :D
I got that most male fans are gay but I just can't get it how come even many female fans are lesbians. Is it a coincidence? Because I know many lesbian and bi women who are ESC fans.

rajo
10th June 2012, 01:48
First I was straight, then I thought I could be gay, but I don't have any desires at all anymore. And this makes my life much more happier.

I enjoy good looks of people, and - that's it. Nothing more to enjoy for me and I really know what I am talking about.

So much as I accept homosexuality as something very natural in a biological sense, so much I disapprove of sharply with gay culture. I don't find anything to share with my life.

MyHeartIsYours
10th June 2012, 01:59
Of course people should be free to act however they wish within reason, but I struggle to understand *some* gay men, who seem to be the ones who constantly go on about oh gay people are discriminated against, etc, then all they ever do is hang round the gay village, drink in gay bars, join GLBT groups and just stick with gay guys all the time. I find that a little contradictory, because they speak of equality, and yet choose to isolate themselves :?.
In addition *some* go on a lot about rights, and yet they will sleep with many people every night, use poppers, ecstasy, etc. They cause a bad name for the rest of us because straight people dont like it, understandably. And like it or not, it is straight people who will decide how many rights GLBT persons are to have.

rajo
10th June 2012, 02:09
Promiscuity is really a gay thing, and marrying doesn't help cure it. I used to know so many guys in relationships who were cheating on each other, in consent or not, and I find this disgusting.

And those gay parades and propaganda events are really a complete waste of effort. People may be entertained or even shocked by what they get to see there, but it won't make them wholeheartedly accept gays for what they are. That's a sexualised carneval, and you cannot claim legal changes and tolerance with that.

In Austria we have the huge Life Ball in Vienna, which attracts celebrities and gays, and they put a lot of effort in their costumes. Getting seen is everything. But it is a so-called charity event for AIDS foundations. So, this event emphasizes that AIDS is a particular gay disease, which is so unnecessary, because no gay guy is forced to have unsafe sex. And yet they do it unsafe, so we need AIDS foundations.

Would we have AIDS foundations and Life Balls, if it were only poor babies, who were already born sick?

MyHeartIsYours
10th June 2012, 02:24
I dont agree that promiscuity is a gay problem, just as many straight people are promiscuous as gay people, but it's the fact that a lot of gay people who are also are the ones who are the first to jump up at homophobia/discrimination - which of course there is never any excuse for - but without thinking how their actions may be feeding this. My problem is that their actions have an affect on the whole gay community.
People who are faithful, committed and not in relationships for sex, which I believe most gay and bisexual men are, should be able to get married. The wrong-doings and irresponsibility of some should not hamper everybody else.
Gay pride, I think is rather irrelevant in Western European countries now. It doesnt do any good and it doesnt do any harm either, I believe. I dont want to partake in such events, but if people want to, who am I to stop them?

As for AIDS, again that is also a problem amongst the straight community, but I had an argument with a gay person one day about it. The gay AIDS charity in Manchester closed down the other week because it didnt have enough money, so all the AIDS sufferers in Greater Manchester will no longer be able to have access to an exclusive gay AIDS support network. Of course feel sorry for those with the disease, but someone had the cheek to *as usual* blame it on the Government! Saying like "oh the Government should be doing more to educate people about safe-sex". I dont like comments like that, my argument is that 1) everyone knows that you can get STD's and HIV from unprotected sex, and 2) if you dont, you shouldnt be having sex at all! The one thing I cant stand is irresponsibility and people trying to lay their own blame at other people's door - it's absolutely nothing to do with the Government!

ukboy
11th June 2012, 23:00
Being gay in the UK is not really controversial and the majority of the country do not seem to have a problem with. Gay Pride originates from a march for equal rights but from the ones I saw in Manchester and Gran Canaria a few years ago, they are nothing but a stage to act as flamboyant as possible. All I saw were floats advertising companies with people with hot bodies with hardly any clothes on. Then (manchester only btw) having to pay to go in to the streets of the gay village and paying over the top prices for drinks. Found it all a big commercial event with nothing to do with gay rights. It was just full of, what I call, 'Gay Chavs'.

A-lister
12th June 2012, 03:11
If there's an east-west division when it comes to Eurovision, it's this thing. Eurovision is looked upon as a "gay thing" in Western, Northern and some parts of Central-Europe, where's in Eastern it's neither gay nor straight, simply just a song contest (which it actually IS).

I actually hope it would become the latter in Western Europeans minds aswell, maybe then some countries (like the UK for instance) would treat this with more respect and seriously.

Myself, I started watching this as a kid, long before I knew what "sexuality" was, so I'm a genuine fan and quite frankly it annoys me with these gay guys who jumps on the bandwagon when they "come out of the closet" because they want to fit in the "gay norm" and within the gay community in general...

...can't just people have their own interests and likes regardless of their sexual orientation? What happened to being your own person and having your own personality? But then again, I was never really a person who would fit myself into a group just for acceptance, I am who I am and I like what I like and have the opinions I have regardless of my sexuality... I will NEVER allow that to define me as a person. If people like me as I am, then I'm happy, if they don't... then eff them... and my interest for this is 100% pure and genuine and definitely NOT a gay thing, I'm here for the music and the concept, not judging shallow things such as clothing and stuff (even-though I can comment on that aswell of course) or cheering for the most campiest songs because that's supposedly the "right gay thing to do".

I honestly don't get how far people can go just to be accepted in a group, I dislike people acting like blind sheep in any occasions actually and make clichés out of themselves and feed into stereotypes because they think "it's the way it should be". I can get if some who is young and gay maybe turn to things considered "gay" because he/she may be alone or insecure, but when adults act like this is kind of tragic imo.

As a fan of this since I was a kid, I almost feel like the gay community sort of "robbed" this thing from me and try to make us genuine fans look like fools. Now, most people know I'm a fan of this, but in some situations you almost have to defend your fandom simply because of the "reputation" this has. However, in Sweden that's mostly trying explain to non-fans that this is NOT a contest purely for schlager music :lol:

A-lister
12th June 2012, 03:27
You are sooooo misinformed!
Get your facts straight! (Not implying anything :D)
Most gays don't want to join the army in Turkey and we give them the right not to do it.

If they degrade themselves and "prove" their sexuality that is. Apparently you have to take some footage of yourself "proving" you're gay... that's kind of disgusting if you ask me.

A-lister
12th June 2012, 03:28
Who voted "Asexual" in the poll? :lol:

MyHeartIsYours
12th June 2012, 04:01
I knew someone who was on this forum, though not here any more sadly, who was asexual! :)

MyHeartIsYours
12th June 2012, 04:08
...can't just people have their own interests and likes regardless of their sexual orientation? What happened to being your own person and having your own personality? But then again, I was never really a person who would fit myself into a group just for acceptance, I am who I am and I like what I like and have the opinions I have regardless of my sexuality... I will NEVER allow that to define me as a person. If people like me as I am, then I'm happy, if they don't... then eff them... and my interest for this is 100% pure and genuine and definitely NOT a gay thing, I'm here for the music and the concept, not judging shallow things such as clothing and stuff (even-though I can comment on that aswell of course) or cheering for the most campiest songs because that's supposedly the "right gay thing to do".
xyeah

Though I do cheer for the most campiest songs... SCOOCH... though I do that from my genuine love of anything cheesy :D!!

A-lister
12th June 2012, 14:31
xyeah

Though I do cheer for the most campiest songs... SCOOCH... though I do that from my genuine love of anything cheesy :D!!

Well, if someone genuinely likes it that's good for them, but I mean the people who just likes it because they think it's the "right thing to do".

Yamarus
12th June 2012, 15:45

And British.

EscTurkey
13th June 2012, 16:32
If they degrade themselves and "prove" their sexuality that is. Apparently you have to take some footage of yourself "proving" you're gay... that's kind of disgusting if you ask me.

True. I'm not saying that Turkey is great in gay rights. We have a looong way ahead of us. But what you said was untrue, I wanted to state that. Gays can join the army if they want to, they don't get kicked out.
And Turkey is the best country in gay rights in Mid-east.
In most Arabian countries they have death penalty for being gay. In Israel, there are still deputies who support mashing the testicles of gays(though Tel Aviv is the gay heaven).
In Turkey, the issue is ignored. They don't talk about it in our assembly, you can hardly see a TV show debating over it etc.

A-lister
13th June 2012, 17:38
True. I'm not saying that Turkey is great in gay rights. We have a looong way ahead of us. But what you said was untrue, I wanted to state that. Gays can join the army if they want to, they don't get kicked out.
And Turkey is the best country in gay rights in Mid-east.
In most Arabian countries they have death penalty for being gay. In Israel, there are still deputies who support mashing the testicles of gays(though Tel Aviv is the gay heaven).
In Turkey, the issue is ignored. They don't talk about it in our assembly, you can hardly see a TV show debating over it etc.

I didn't say that they couldn't join the army? That was someone else's comment. But the degrading ways they have to be put through is not something to be proud of.

Israel is by far the most LGBT-friendly country in the whole region, any other statement is pure false. What single deputies say it's not a reflection of full society or the actual laws, where Israel is the only progressed country in the whole region (or the most progressed atleast). You can find deputies like that in every single country, so it doesn't say anything really. Idiots can be found everywhere unfortunately.

I know that Turkey is better than the other countries though, but still long way to go. The very reason it's not talked about, it's actually one proof that it's a taboo subject.

rajo
13th June 2012, 17:45
And British.

So true :lol:

Cooler
13th June 2012, 18:24
I'm metrosexual. 8-)

MyHeartIsYours
14th June 2012, 00:49
And British.
It's always a bonus!

EscTurkey
14th June 2012, 01:07
I didn't say that they couldn't join the army? That was someone else's comment. But the degrading ways they have to be put through is not something to be proud of.

Israel is by far the most LGBT-friendly country in the whole region, any other statement is pure false. What single deputies say it's not a reflection of full society or the actual laws, where Israel is the only progressed country in the whole region (or the most progressed atleast). You can find deputies like that in every single country, so it doesn't say anything really. Idiots can be found everywhere unfortunately.

I know that Turkey is better than the other countries though, but still long way to go. The very reason it's not talked about, it's actually one proof that it's a taboo subject.

The deputies thing was just an example. In general, gays in Israel are oppressed.
And here's another example, just go watch some of Dana Int's interviews to know more about it from a witness.
Most Israelis hate her.
but in Turkey there are many LGBT celebrities.
Bülent Ersoy, she's called Diva(and no, this is not a copy of Dana Int. she is way older than her) and everybody!! respects her, she even has a duet with Tarkan.
Zeki Müren, gay singer, called the sun of art, and it's almost impossible to see someone hate him.
Sefa Doğanay, the winner of Turkey's Got Talent, also gay, and he has billions of straight fans.
The list can go much further.
but in Israel, mostly gay people hear gay artists.

rajo
14th June 2012, 01:10
I'm metrosexual. 8-)

Who do metrosexual people have sex with?

MyHeartIsYours
14th June 2012, 01:15
Themselves. Or at least they act like that :D!

Only joking Cooler ;)

seb89
14th June 2012, 01:16

Probably with themselves :p :lol:

MyHeartIsYours
14th June 2012, 01:17
Probably with themselves :p :lol:
GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE! :mrgreen:

seb89
14th June 2012, 01:17
GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE! :mrgreen:

:lol: Indeed!!! :lol:

rajo
14th June 2012, 01:21
Themselves. Or at least they act like that :D!

That would be called "monosexual". Masturbation is a monosexual act for example.

So, what's metrosexual? How to act metrosexually? Metro is the greek word for mother. Metropolis = mother town, main town.

OMG..... :?

MyHeartIsYours
14th June 2012, 01:27
Basically it's straight guys who would have been in the past be seen to be gay in that they care very much for their appearance and style, etc - waxed legs, perfect hair, tanned skin, whitened teeth, expensive and top-of-the-range clothes, etc. Those are typically meterosexual traits :D. But it's not actually a sexuality, as it's only heterosexual men that can be metrosexual really!

Dont worry, nothing to do with mothers! :lol: I guess it is because 'metro' in English speaking countries is like a city area, and meterosexual guys are typically city boys. In the UK in London, Manchester, Newcastle especially!

rajo
14th June 2012, 01:31
But this has nothing to do with sexuality. This is a lifestyle thing.

Btw. who says waxed legs, tanned skin, fancy clothes and whitened teeth is "gay"? That's pretty common in my perception.

MyHeartIsYours
14th June 2012, 01:37
But this has nothing to do with sexuality. This is a lifestyle thing.

Btw. who says waxed legs, tanned skin, fancy clothes and whitened teeth is "gay"? That's pretty common in my perception.
Then you know a lot of meterosexual guys ;). Nah the stereotypes is that gay guys like constantly fret about their appearance and that straight guys dont give a sh*t. Of course that isnt true, as meterosexual guys show, but that's the stereotype!

rajo
14th June 2012, 01:47
All the people I know look pretty decent and put a lot of effort in their appearances, and none of them is gay (as far as I know)

Cooler
14th June 2012, 02:36
:lol: lach
I could never realise, why is it called "metrosexual" and it's not actually a sexuality? Makes no sense, lol.

Anyway, I was kiddin'. ^_^

ukboy
14th June 2012, 21:17
Metrosexuals are straight who act like stereotypical gay men ie good fashion sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TvbIGjvR-8

CypriotGirl
17th June 2012, 17:03
I'm a str8 girl!

Btw, the word is heterosexual, not hetrosexual! :lol:

CypriotGirl
17th June 2012, 17:11
That would be called "monosexual". Masturbation is a monosexual act for example.

So, what's metrosexual? How to act metrosexually? Metro is the greek word for mother. Metropolis = mother town, main town.

OMG..... :?

No, metro doesn't mean mother, it means meter! :lol:

Mother is mitera (μητέρα) but the Greek H (η) is written as E in English, I still don't understand why, since it is pronounced as I!

RainyWoods
18th June 2012, 23:28
I think Eurovision is watched and enjoyed (for different reasons) by everyone. Gays however generally worship the contest.

I often feel embarrassed for being such an insane Eurovision fan but the gay inside of me craves it like a smoker craves a cigarette. I'm not good without it:lol:

AdelAdel
18th June 2012, 23:30
Could someone explain what does eurovision have to do with homosexuals anyway?

Matt
18th June 2012, 23:30
I think Eurovision is watched and enjoyed (for different reasons) by everyone. Gays however generally worship the contest.

I often feel embarrassed for being such an insane Eurovision fan but the gay inside of me craves it like a smoker craves a ***. I'm not good without it.

Haha, the F word has a different meaning in this context and should have not been censored, it looks funny though.

Matt
18th June 2012, 23:31

It just happens to have a big gay following, In particular the Western countries

RainyWoods
18th June 2012, 23:32

Women in glittery ball gowns singing schlagar.

RainyWoods
18th June 2012, 23:39
Haha, the F word has a different meaning in this context and should have not been censored, it looks funny though.

I was looking back at my message confused as to why it had been censored and then I was like... oh. I hate the negative usage of that word, it's ugly and hateful when you hear it come from someones mouth as an insult. I like it though instead of saying Cigarette. "Give us a *** darling" haha:lol:

AdelAdel
18th June 2012, 23:41
It just happens to have a big gay following, In particular the Western countries

So it's just random that homosexual people like it?
I thought it was a song contest, unless these days we classify "song contests" as gay :lol:

Matt
18th June 2012, 23:46
So it's just random that homosexual people like it?
I thought it was a song contest, unless these days we classify "song contests" as gay :lol:

Not random per sei. Crazy costumes & outfits, Dance & Schlager music. It's something that a lot of gay men enjoy so it's not surprising.

Stargazer
21st June 2012, 14:56
Yeah Eurovision/Schlager and homosexuality go pretty much hand in hand here. You can't really have one without the other. Every year during Pride Week in Stockholm, there is always a Schlager night where old and recent Melodifestivalen artists come and sing their MF hits and it's always the most popular event (apart from the parade). It's very popular with the drag crowd, because of its many campy and over-the-top costumes. Stockholm is awesome during Pride Week, by the way. You'll see Pride flags every where you turn on all official city flag poles, even every single city bus has Pride flags on top.
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/8438/bussmprideflagga.jpg
http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/9598/62253285.jpg (see the flag poles in the background)

alca
21st June 2012, 20:24
^ Best week of 2011 for me! :p

rogeriomachado
14th July 2012, 01:11
I think that being gay has nothing to do with liking Eurovision, I've a fan since 2003, and I only "discovered" my true sexual instincts when I was 16, and I'm now 20 turning 21 next month (exactly one month from now).
But I just love watching those big sparkly dresses and those HIGH-HIGH-HIGH heels they use in ESC.

I call ESC my yearly GAY-TIME :D :D :D :D

demonl
3rd October 2012, 18:55
I'm male
I like Euovision
I am sexually attracted only to women

Not a fan of how groups try to claim things. Glee for instance is ruined because of such obsessions.

Mainstream and enjoyable to all is what should happen.

Impressive
4th October 2012, 19:26
I am straight guy in Eurovision :geek:

Little
6th October 2012, 16:11
I didn't know that most of male esc followers are homosexual... :?
But I think it's only a case... personally, I have always seen it like a music contest allowing to a lot of european countries to meet together... and nothing else. XD
Anyway I'm happy that there are homosexual people that doesn't have any problems in admitting it and heterosexual people that doesn't have any problems with homosexual ones... :) Unfortunately, most of people I know are disgtusted by homosexual people... IOTAP

JackBauer
8th October 2012, 12:14
What i wanna know is who are the two liars who answered by asexual lol! Liars!!!

I hope they have the excuse of being 11 or 12

MyHeartIsYours
8th October 2012, 12:53
^ That's rather intolerant.

aletem
9th October 2012, 00:08
I am straight too!! :)

I don't think the contest is gay or gay-driven. Bear in mind that the Eurovision started in the 50's as a classic concert/contest between couple of countries (singers of-course representing these countries). It was just like any other festival at the time (San Remo, any metal festivals going on - like in Germany, etc). I believe that in the past 10 years or so, the contest has been given a different image. Some people (media as well) have perceived it as a gay thing and pushed it that way. Don't get me wrong here. It is like Matt stated before - That the contest enjoys much support/views/fan base from the gay community. It is also true that Eurovision also supports the gay community, which is a good thing (but I don't like the misinformation and misconception that is being sometimes placed in the west, especially here in N. America.. this contest is not designed for a certain sexuality and that should be acknowledged).
What I am trying to say is that Eurovision is not a gay thing as some people state it is. It just enjoys a lot of support from the gay community. ;) I know that in Eastern Europoan Balkan this is more of a family event. It used to be followed in the same manner, when Yugoslavia was participating in the 60's, 70's and 80's.
I too see it as a music contest, who also enjoys the voting part. :)

Milos-BC
9th October 2012, 20:51
^^ Completely agree.

ESC is not a gay event. I am ESC fan as well, but I am straight, not gay.

ESC is a contest for everyone. And I think it's good that it is oriented this way. Everybody can find the music genre they appreciate. If it stayed in the same format like some other (famous) festival like San Remo (don't get me wrong, I have high respect for San Remo) it wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is now. The basic concept and the idea of the contest has always been to break the borders between countries, to celebrate music and equality between people. That is why it gets false flaggings of being a gay festival, which is not the case at all. Also, all this began when Dana won the contest, and then her victory was taken as an "evidence" that ESC is a gay festival, because a drag queen won it.

I especially adore this universal appeal of the contest, and as for the haters......well, they will always have reasons to hate if they want to. I don't care.

Mimi
24th May 2013, 10:50
I am a straight too xhmmm

Magizian
24th May 2013, 11:09
I'm straight. This competition offers some of the best looking women, so it's no surprise that straight men do like Eurovision :lol:

Mimi
24th May 2013, 11:22
There are beautiful women everywhere! xlisten2

SRBIJA
24th May 2013, 14:16
I was also confused when I found out some people here mentioning how Eurovision is just a gay thing. I dont know, maybe its considered like thatin Western Europe, here on Balkan is more of a family show or just a fun music festival. xshrug Oh and to answer the question - Im straight too. ;)

Verjamem
24th May 2013, 15:01
It's true that many people from LGBT environments like Eurovision (I don't see anything bad in that), but contest can't be called the gay thing/parade/festival xshrug
BTW Ofc, I'm straight ;)

JackBauer
25th May 2013, 12:33
I think that for everyone besides the gay and the people who have nothing to do but be against them, Eurovision is a family show with a feel-good vibe.

Maybe outdated or Kistch but i don't besides the fan, the gays and theirs delicious enemies, anyone sees eurovision as Gay.

Anyway is gay was the first thing people were really thinking, i'm sure there would be a lot less countries in the competion

Kaja
25th May 2013, 13:27
well, i'm straight. but i have nothing against homosexual people. in fact, my cousin is gay and i love him very, very much (he's also my favourite family member). but i feel sorry for him, beacuse his parents are such a jerks! when he told them, that he's gay, they almost disowned him and if my dad wouldn't step in, the world war III would've start

r3gg13
25th May 2013, 14:30
I'm gay. I enjoy Eurovision, but it doesn't mean that ESC is a gay-centric contest. It just so happens that gay people like ESC too.

Gay people like eating and breathing too, should we call those gay-centric too just because it is liked by gay people? Of course not!

ESC is just an event that people of diverse background LOVE. If anything, I would call it an all-inclusive contest/show/event, where any gender is welcome and not frowned upon :)

Scooby
25th May 2013, 16:57
ESC is one big annual party and whole Europe love it, and someone's sexuality has nothing in commons with that. BTW in my city we had one great festival called EXIT FEST and there is much more gay ppl than in Eurovision, but nobody talk about that.

Impressive
26th May 2013, 01:00
I am straight guy in Eurovision :geek:

I feel like I need to fix this information. I am so gay fan who loves Eurovision. xqueenbitch

Quent91
26th May 2013, 01:19
I feel like I need to fix this information. I am so gay fan who loves Eurovision. xqueenbitch

you changed your mind since then ? :lol:

Impressive
26th May 2013, 13:08
you changed your mind since then ? :lol:

Yup yup yup I had a boyfriend since then :D

aletem
27th May 2013, 11:00
ESC is one big annual party and whole Europe love it, and someone's sexuality has nothing in commons with that. BTW in my city we had one great festival called EXIT FEST and there is much more gay ppl than in Eurovision, but nobody talk about that.
Really?? :shock: I know about EXIT and I know people sometimes camp in tents over there too. I also know people that go there and I heard they play good deal of underground music (or maybe I am wrong about that one), so that later part comes as a surprise.

Yup yup yup I had a boyfriend since then :D
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8lpjaLgBh1rc1o0wo1_500.gif
Wait, I thought you were straight? Or were you bi?

EscTurkey
27th May 2013, 14:51
OK, I will try to be as outspoken as I can in this post.
I don't think this forum has a straight majority. (WTH, in an esc forum the straight double gays! It was supposed to be vice versa. :D)
I do think Eurovision is quite a gay thing. However, I don't think all of the fans are gay. But I do believe that gays are a huje majority.
I simply can't imagine a random straight guy from my school ranking each ESC song from a scale of 1 to 12, making a TOP 39 video, signing up for an esc forum, discussing stuff about the stage, casting vote for Barbara Dex award etc etc.

What I wonder most is,
OK, gays like it cuz it's..... quite gay. :D
But I can't understand how come many female fans are also lesbians or bi. :?

I'd like to restate that I know there are also straight ESC fans, but I think they're a small minority among the other fans.

MyHeartIsYours
27th May 2013, 16:29
What I've found in the United Kingdom is that, with just the everyday people who love Eurovision when it's on, they come from all sexualities though 1) men prefer it to women and 2) most gay men are fans. When it comes to 'super fans', the majority tend to be gay men.

Impressive
31st May 2013, 20:39
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8lpjaLgBh1rc1o0wo1_500.gif
Wait, I thought you were straight? Or were you bi?

I though I was straight but you meet someone and changes the things you were even sure. I think I am acutally bisexual atm but just like that, I am not sure about anything at the moment. xshrug

Yamarus
31st May 2013, 21:46
Just take it easy and do what you feel is good for you. Labels are just that: labels.

aletem
1st June 2013, 01:40
I though I was straight but you meet someone and changes the things you were even sure. I think I am acutally bisexual atm but just like that, I am not sure about anything at the moment. xshrug
I just really wanted to use that gif! :lol: You do whatever you like and feel, nothing wrong with that. ;) I was just surprised, because i know you mentioned once that you were straight.

SRBIJA
6th March 2014, 12:23
Pressuming that someone is gay only because he likes Eurovision is as dumb as pressuming that someone is straight because he likes football. xheart

And voted for asexual. xdrool :p

Adrian
6th March 2014, 16:42
I feel as if that outside of Europe the majority of fans are gay males or females, in Australia particularly the fans of Eurovision that I know are gay and the songs are heard only in Gay clubs as I know for a fact "Euphoria" was a big club hit here. I know this is a generalisation but in Australia it is not massive and there are "Superfans" who are a little obsessed and 90% of these people are gay....(Myself)

MyHeartIsYours
6th March 2014, 16:53
Pressuming that someone is gay only because he likes Eurovision is as dumb as pressuming that someone is straight because he likes football. xheart
I dont think anyone presumes that a fan of Eurovision is gay, but certainly in Western European countries a lot of fans (and most of the biggest fans) are gay men.

vatroslav_cro
7th March 2014, 16:41
As for me.....I am a hetero and I like Eurovision song contest so I don't see (and don't have) any particular problem with that.......and no prejudices too.....

pinkchiffon
9th March 2014, 00:38
I feel as if that outside of Europe the majority of fans are gay males or females

Plot twist: I'm from outside of Europe, gay AND female!

Apparently it's not true here, but in some fan circles, you are the odd one out if you're not attracted to men, regardless of your own gender. :lol:

ErikSchroder
9th March 2014, 04:37
Heterosexual!