PDA

View Full Version : Best ballad of Eurovision 2012?

A-lister
5th May 2012, 00:15
There's plenty of ballads in this year's ESC (may be a result of a ballad winning last year), but which one is your favorite?

Vote and discuss! (Some would include Denmark as a ballad in the poll above, but I think it's more of a mid-tempo singer-songwriter Pop type of song rather than a ballad).

Franco
5th May 2012, 00:19
There's plenty of ballads in this year's ESC (may be a result of a ballad winning last year), but which one is your favorite?

The one that Nina Zilli won't bring to Baku. :(
Second best "Love will set you free", then "Quedate conmigo".

LakZaNokte
5th May 2012, 00:31
I'm between Estonia and Spain. not sure which 1 to pick xhmm

Matt
5th May 2012, 00:42
To me, 2012 is the year of the ballads. Yes, there are a good chunk of ballads but at the same time most of them are awesome. I sure hope they won't cancel each other out but a good song is a good song so I am optimistic

I Love ::ee ::rs ::es ::sl ::de ::is

I like ::pt ::al ::uk

EurovisionSmile
5th May 2012, 00:46
SERBIA is the best one :p

A-lister
5th May 2012, 00:47
To me, 2012 is the year of the ballads. Yes, there are a good chunk of ballads but at the same time most of them are awesome. I sure hope they won't cancel each other out but a good song is a good song so I am optimistic

I have to agree with you, ballads in ESC have always been a hit-or-miss, I personally at most occasions only liked the ethno-inspired ballads in the past decade or so (since the more Pop-ish once always tended to be cheesy Disney-ish/ American Idol-ish type of ballads).

At first I thought I would find this year crappy, but as you say, most ballads are actually pretty good and NOT cheesy for a change.

I Love ::ee ::rs ::es ::sl ::de ::is

I like ::pt ::al ::uk

Iceland a ballad? I first thought of putting it up there, but then again it's not really "ballad-ish" imo.

Trece
5th May 2012, 00:51
Slovenia! #2 after Molitva imo

EurovisionSmile
5th May 2012, 01:02
I love: 1.SERBIA
2.SLOVENIA
3.ICELAND
4.FINLAND
5.ESTONIA

I like: 6.GERMANY
7.AZERBAIJAN
8.BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA
9.SPAIN

I don't care: All the others, really

I excluded my own country, I wouldn't be objective :mrgreen:

Grinch
5th May 2012, 01:22
::rs ::de

Others xhand

daniels1000
5th May 2012, 01:28
woow , this is hard to choose but for me it is ::sl SLOVENIA

1. ::sl
2. ::de
3. ::hr
4. ::es
5. ::rs
6. ::ee
7. ::az
8. ::ba
9. ::pt
10 ::be
11. ::fi
12. ::uk
13. ::al

r3gg13
5th May 2012, 05:02
::az, ::hr, ::sl, ::fi, ::ee, ::ba are the best IMO from the list

Arv
5th May 2012, 09:26
1. Estonia
2. Serbia
3. Finland

RainyWoods
5th May 2012, 09:41
Well seeing as it's there I shall vote for Albania but I would never call "Suus" a ballad.

Excluding "Suus", I would find it very hard to pick a favourite. I like the songs of Bosnia Herzegovina, Estonia, Slovenia, United Kingdom and Azerbaijan all quite equally. At a push I would give it to Slovenia although my love of that song was quite instant and the others are growing on me each day. Oh and I think Macedonia should be there. It's very much a power ballad.

alca
5th May 2012, 10:24
Guess what I voted for! :lol: 8-)

94ayd
5th May 2012, 10:26
I have none of these in my top 10 (probably out of my top 15, too :lol:) but it came down to ::al & ::pt for me and in the end, I chose "VIIIIIIIIDA MINHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"! :mrgreen:

Tinchey
5th May 2012, 10:39
::al ::fi ::uk ::es ::rs ::ba ::pt xheart

as78
5th May 2012, 10:51
Voted for Serbia in the poll but there are others from my top-1
as well: Portugal, Estonia, United Kingdom, Finland. There are really strong ballads this year. And I hope they will stand high.

GodSaveTheQueen
5th May 2012, 12:49
Turkey's song is also ballad. Anyway. UK is the best !!!

A-lister
5th May 2012, 14:18
Turkey's song is also ballad.

In what universe or you just want to vote for it in polls? xrofl3

A-lister
5th May 2012, 14:20
Well seeing as it's there I shall vote for Albania but I would never call "Suus" a ballad.

...Oh and I think Macedonia should be there. It's very much a power ballad.

Interesting, you wouldn't call "Suus" a ballad (which it obviously is I'd say), but an entry that is almost uptempo 2/3 of the time you consider a ballad?

Hmm, I guess this is the problem with defining genres, because we all hear different things.

RainyWoods
5th May 2012, 14:35
Interesting, you wouldn't call "Suus" a ballad (which it obviously is I'd say), but an entry that is almost uptempo 2/3 of the time you consider a ballad?

Hmm, I guess this is the problem with defining genres, because we all hear different things.

Well Kaliopi's song is a typical power ballad I think which was quite a popular style in the 80's. The soft beginning followed by the powerful, often "rockish" but still melodic chorus. Very Bonnie Tyler-ish.

You are right, we do all hear different things:lol: I just don't think "Suus" could be classed as a ballad, at least not a typical one anyway. It's throws the things everyone would expect from a ballad right out of the window. If every song that was slower in tempo and with orchestration was called a ballad we'd certainly have alot of them in this world.. Although "ballad" isnt a genre, it's a song type so im probably being overly picky with regards to people classing "Suus" as a ballad. It really doesnt matter. It's a very loose term anyway.

Mozz
5th May 2012, 15:57
How would you classify 'Suus', Rainywoods? I'm curious. Is there is a term that's more suitable to this particular song?

GRE
5th May 2012, 16:29
Where are Latvia,Denmark,Hungary,Fyrom,Lithuania?

A-lister
5th May 2012, 17:02
Where are Latvia,Denmark,Hungary,Fyrom,Lithuania?

Well, Latvia is not a ballad, Lithuania just starts out as one, and although I get RainyWoods comment on FYROM, I still think it's a little too uptempo to be regard as a ballad.

Denmark is a twillight-zone.

MyHeartIsYours
5th May 2012, 17:05
UNITED KINGDOM xheart

RainyWoods
5th May 2012, 17:22
How would you classify 'Suus', Rainywoods? I'm curious. Is there is a term that's more suitable to this particular song?

It's something incredibly difficult to put a name to. Rona has said herself in interviews that she doesnt like labels on music. She considers herself an experimental jazz singer however and does normally sing jazz. There are certainly vocal elements of jazz within the song although musically it isnt jazz. You could say maybe that Suus is a Chamber Pop song due to it's classical orchestral arrangement teamed with Rona's unconventional way of singing the song. "Suus" could have elements of a classic torch song lyrically as well as musically. The easiest and safest label for "Suus" however would just be "Alternative" I suppose although that would just be the easy option. It shows how unique a song "Suus" is when it's hard to even say just what it is.

QwaarJet
6th May 2012, 02:46
Serbia is the best, but Spain and Albania are also superb. And no way is Germany a ballad.

Lenny
6th May 2012, 02:54
::az is the best hands down!!!

Matt
6th May 2012, 04:15
And no way is Germany a ballad.

Then what is it?

DanielLuis
6th May 2012, 04:15
This is definetely hard...there's like a quadrillion great ballads this year...hard to vote on one! I cant decide between Azerbaijan, Estonia, Albania, Finland, Germany, Portugal, Spain and Slovenia!

QwaarJet
6th May 2012, 05:15
Then what is it?

Piano Pop.

Matterhorn
6th May 2012, 05:16
My favorite ballads this year are definitely ::fi, ::az and ::ba. :D

busybee
6th May 2012, 09:25
Estonia hands down for me. Amazing music, lyrics, vocals.

KaptenFisk
6th May 2012, 10:32
Finland for me. Croatia runner-up.

Mozz
6th May 2012, 14:49
For me:
::ba ::fi and ::al

All three terribly underrated (or misunderstood) imo.

Marie Jane
6th May 2012, 15:43
::rs, ::de, ::ee, ::es and ::sl

We have great ballads this year. :)

Simon87
6th May 2012, 17:11
Serbia

Narmina
6th May 2012, 17:12
Serbia

xyeah NO DOUBT!

Mozz
6th May 2012, 21:21
I forgot to say thank you, Rainywoods, for your (thoughtful) explanation of what you think how Suus could be categorized :)

bashers
6th May 2012, 21:56
I love Belgium, UK (Being objective too!), Slovenia and Germany!

watersoup
6th May 2012, 23:21
Like: Spain, Estonia, Portugal, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Slovenia
Don't like: Albania, Croatia, Serbia
Not a ballad: Germany (it is midtempo)

Vague
7th May 2012, 13:41
1. uk
2.estonia
3.azerbaidjan

katapult
7th May 2012, 14:01
My personal favourites are Estonia, Finland and UK.

Apart from that I think, Azerbaijani one is a strong one in it's genre.

Germany is not a real ballad, imo, and Albania is - something special.

:)

A-lister
17th May 2012, 01:59
For me:
::ba ::fi and ::al

All three terribly underrated (or misunderstood) imo.

Same here! Agree with every word! These are the best ballads this year imo, also Croatia should be added to the list of good but underrated.

EurovisionSmile
17th May 2012, 03:02
Albania is not underrated. For me it's just noisy and weird. For you it's a masterpiece. I have to respect that and not assume that my taste is better than yours. It's just different. And besides it's not because we don't like songs that makes them misunderstood. What is misunderstood are probably our own feelings and sensitivity, not the songs.Taste can't be measured or compared. It's personal. And if a quality's song was objective and universal, all juries would vote the same way. They don't, do they? That's because it's all about taste and personal and cultural approach to whatever we call masterpiece or trash.

EurovisionSmile
17th May 2012, 03:13
My previous comment was a personal opinion, not about attacking anyone :mrgreen:

MyHeartIsYours
17th May 2012, 04:24
I agree with you EurovisionSmile! :D

Jetro
17th May 2012, 07:57
Kuula is the best ballad.

UK and Germany are better, but they are not ballads. UK is a ditty, and Germany is a pop-rock-"ballad" (only slightly so). I'd argue that Finland is not a ballad, either, but I don't mind.

Stella
17th May 2012, 10:12
I simply can't vote!
From start Azerbaijan and Spain grew fast on me...after yesterday's rehearsal I was amazed by Slovenia,everything looked magical!
And I liked from start also Germany and UK.
I'm more into uptempo songs but we have some great ballads this year! So many good songs!

deese
17th May 2012, 12:01
Estonia is the best for me.

CypriotGirl
17th May 2012, 13:06
::sl and ::es - I voted for ::sl in the poll

Jopi
17th May 2012, 14:15
Albania: I hate it.
Azerbaijan: I like.
Belgium: I loveee.
Bosnia & Herzegovina: I don't like much.
Croatia: I loveeee.
Estonia: I loveeeeee!
Finland: I don't like.
Germany: I loveeeee.
Portugal: It is OK for me.
Serbia: Noo,I don't like much.
Slovenia: I don't like soo much.
Spain: I loveee.
United Kingdom: I like.

I voted for Estonia.:)

EvNickGR
17th May 2012, 15:43
Spain, Serbia

Mannone
17th May 2012, 17:08
Spain got my vote. I have to mention Slovenia too though. I really don't like any of the others. The serbian singer is simply too much.

Joyride
18th May 2012, 15:17
Eva Boto - Verjamem

MrNae89
19th May 2012, 09:38
estonia has the best