PDA

View Full Version : KAZAKHSTAN 2013 - not taking part

escYOUnited
2nd May 2012, 04:59
http://www.thearchnemesis.com/images/Kazakhstan%20Flag.gif

A-lister
2nd May 2012, 22:57
Combine this singer with the band under and we have an amazing Kazakh debut! :)

Dinara Sultan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um9h1GklAIg

Ulytau

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B6ISJwIsos

A-lister
2nd May 2012, 23:03
Indigo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--BUGT97M7k

FM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw6GanzlVlY

NikkiBoy
3rd May 2012, 17:36
I don't think they debut, sorry. But cut be cool 8D

A-lister
3rd May 2012, 17:55
I don't think they debut, sorry. But cut be cool 8D

I don't think either, EBU is more busy of bringing this contest OUTSIDE of the European continental borders aswell lobbying for non-sovereign and disputed regions to take part (this is part of the current political expansion agenda of EU, which EBU seem tightly connected to), rather than allowing a country which have a larger European geographical than Turkey, Armenia & Israel combined (countries which barely or not at all lies within the European continent).

NikkiBoy
4th May 2012, 12:07
Agree! ^^'

rajo
4th May 2012, 13:04
I'm not keen on Kazakhstan!

Raul_Spain
11th May 2012, 20:49
Their best band A-Studio.

NikkiBoy
11th May 2012, 21:31
I don't think they participate.

dizzydjc
21st May 2012, 12:10
It could happen - they show a big interest in ESC and are broadcasting it again this year and sending commentators to Baku. They also should technically be able to participate as some territory is in Europe.

I say bring it on!

Sean
21st May 2012, 20:21
The fact that they've actually got commentators this year suggests they're making a real push to enter. Bring it on, I'd say!

The only problem is it may be a country too far for the ignorant Brits who don't even know that Azerbaijan exists :lol:

bubblingtrue
27th May 2012, 15:57
I really hope not. More points for the ex-USSR nations! And plus isn't there like a 6 hours time difference??? That would mean the contest starting at 2am in Kazakhstan!

DanielLuis
27th May 2012, 18:44
I really hope not. More points for the ex-USSR nations! And plus isn't there like a 6 hours time difference??? That would mean the contest starting at 2am in Kazakhstan!
lol i know right? nobody would watch it there!

Yamarus
28th May 2012, 00:13
No to Kazakhstan. I've realised how little sense it makes to organise a Contest in Baku, at 3am. It would be even more ridiculous if the whole of Europe were to meet in bloody Astana in 2014!

eerik
28th May 2012, 00:36
No to Kazakhstan.
+1. We already have enough Asian countries.

Andrzej1987
28th May 2012, 01:01
The thing is if they are accepted by the EBU there's nothing that could stop them and we would end up with 12 - Russia 10 - Turkey 8 - Azerbaijan

A-lister
28th May 2012, 01:05
Big fat YES to Kazakhstan!

The country has a bigger geographical European part than Turkey and the Caucasian countries combined!

If people hate the idea of them joining, but are ok with Turkey, then they are hypocrites.

rajo
28th May 2012, 01:28
NO!

No to Eurovision in Astana! And that part of Kazakhstan that is allegedly European has no population! Turkey brings at least Istanbul to Europe and Israel is the cradle of our civilization.

So if Eurovision should ever come to Kazakhstan, it got to be in the North Western section, since Astana is almost Far East. And Uralsk won't have a venue, I guess.

A-lister
28th May 2012, 01:32
NO!

No to Eurovision in Astana! And that part of Kazakhstan that is allegedly European has no population! Turkey brings at least Istanbul to Europe and Israel is the cradle of our civilization.

So if Eurovision should ever come to Kazakhstan, it got to be in the North Western section, since Astana is almost Far East. And Uralsk won't have a venue, I guess.

I wouldn't say it has "no people", although it's true the larger part of the population are centered in other parts. Still though it doesn't change the fact that it has a larger European part than some countries already taking part.

For your info only half of Istanbul is on the European side, and talking about culture, I would argue Kazakhstan is closer to Europe aswell (compared to Turkey for instance) (well atleast closer to Russia and Russian nationality and culture is European).

People are just angry that another ex-USSR country would take part, but I guess you're ok with Lebanon? Not geographically Europe and frankly these days almost no cultural connection either.

rajo
28th May 2012, 01:41
I have been to Istanbul already, and the major and historically relevant parts of this city, as well as the Old Town are all entirely in Europe. Also, the Turkish people don't consider themselves as Asians, maybe because the ark of countries around the Black Sea from West to East, as well as Cyprus in the South, are all European... So Turkey would be kind of a geographical wedge into Europe.

But since Azerbaijan is not European at all, I am more comfortable with dismissing them than letting Kazakhstan in. And next we have Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyztan, Tadjikistan and all Ex-SSR are finally in. And the Eurovision spirit leaves forever on in the former USSR, and brings us year by year another overstated 100 million venue and bloated shows. I am really not keen on that.

A-lister
28th May 2012, 01:52
I have been to Istanbul already, and the major and historically relevant parts of this city, as well as the Old Town are all entirely in Europe. Also, the Turkish people don't consider themselves as Asians, maybe because the ark of countries around the Black Sea from West to East, as well as Cyprus in the South, are all European... So Turkey would be kind of a geographical wedge into Europe.

But since Azerbaijan is not European at all, I am more comfortable with dismissing them than letting Kazakhstan in. And next we have Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyztan, Tadjikistan and all Ex-SSR are finally in. And the Eurovision spirit leaves forever on in the former USSR, and brings us year by year another overstated 100 million venue and bloated shows. I am really not keen on that.

Walk the streets in Almaty compared to Istanbul and Kazakhstan looks way more Russian/European than Turkey does, as far as visible cultural signs goes. But that's not important.

I don't want any of those you mentioned to join, I want Kazakhstan simply to join in because I believe in the idea that all independent countries located somehow geographically within Europe should be allowed to enter, but I guess I'm alone picturing Eurovision this way then? I don't make a difference between a country being a former USSR one or not. I don't base allowing a country in or not based on neighbor/diaspora voting.

You didn't answer my question, which I guess you're ok with Lebanon entering? A country that is not geographically nor culturally a part of Europe and if you're scared about voting in ESC, they would be the "new Turkey" in terms of winning the diaspora votes.

rajo
28th May 2012, 01:58
Sorry, I forgot about Lebanon, but the answer is no. I am not interested in Lebanon, not only because it is so not European but also it is a threat to the participation of Israel, like Azerbaijan is to Armenia.

I also know a place which looks pretty European, New England and Québec for example. Should we invite them too?

Sorry, Eurovision works because we are a family in a certain region. We may have relatives elsewhere, but they are too far away. So, no to Kazakhstan. Almaty is Central Asia and not Europe.... those European portions of Kazakhstan are mostly rural and only designed to make an imaginery line from the Ural to the Caspian Sea. I wouldn't take that into account. There is no designated border of Europe but it is reasonable that Europe ends where there is no or only scarce population when we move into the Eurasian continent.

A-lister
28th May 2012, 02:03
Sorry, I forgot about Lebanon, but the answer is no. I am not interested in Lebanon, not only because it is so not European but also it is a threat to the participation of Israel, like Azerbaijan is to Armenia.

I also know a place which looks pretty European, New England and Québec for example. Should we invite them too?

Sorry, Eurovision works because we are a family in a certain region. We may have relatives elsewhere, but they are too far away. So, no to Kazakhstan. Almaty is Central Asia and not Europe.... those European portions of Kazakhstan are mostly rural and only to designed to make an imaginery line from the Ural to the Caspian Sea. I wouldn't take that into account.

Australia is also kinda European, but obviously NO to them aswell. I was talking strictly geographical.

Yes, Almaty is in the Asian part of the country, but it doesn't change facts. I mean would you decline the idea of Eurovision being held in Ankara if Turkey were about to win again? Because that's a possibility. It's true it's closer to Europe, but just like Almaty or Astana it's not actually Europe.

Geographical Europe is what it is, so it has nothing to do with subjective taste here, those parts are de facto part of the European continent.

rajo
28th May 2012, 02:10
We could have a debate on principles about Turkey, and you would learn that my wrench would be kept within a limit. But I got used to Turkey and we have countries in which are equally or far more Eastern than Turkey like the Caucasus countries (+3 hours to CET!), or Israel and even Cyprus.

So, the idea of an Ankara Song Contest doesn't bother me at all. But that won't ever happen, since Istanbul is far more tourist-friendly.

Let's be reasonable - where in Kazakhstan would you like to host the Contest? Not really in the allegedly European parts. You have to go into the deepest Central Asia to Almaty or Astana.

Ask the few Kazakhs living there if they have any affiliation with Europe. I guess they don't have..... Just because of a couple of people in the nomansland between Europe and Asia I wouldn't invite a Central Asian country to join Eurovision.

A-lister
28th May 2012, 02:14
We could have a debate on principles about Turkey, and you would learn that my wrench would be kept within a limit. But I got used to Turkey and we have countries in which are equally or far more Eastern than Turkey like the Caucasus countries (+3 hours to CET!), or Israel and even Cyprus.

So, the idea of an Ankara Song Contest doesn't bother me at all. But that won't ever happen, since Istanbul is far more tourist-friendly.

Let's be reasonable - where in Kazakhstan would you like to host the Contest? Not really in the allegedly European parts. You have to go in to the deepest Central Asia.

Ask the few Kazakhs living there if they have any affiliation with Europe. I guess they don't have..... Just because of a couple of people in the nomansland between Europe and Asia I wouldn't invite a Central Asian country to join Eurovision.

Obviously it would be held in Almaty or Astana (but probably Almaty). A city that looks very much like a larger Russian city (but richer on the surface).

I dunno, I still believe that all geographical Europe should be allowed to take part, regardless of the amount of people living there or the actual geographical amount of the country's total area.

We just have to agree to disagree :)

rajo
28th May 2012, 02:18
So just because a depopulated portion of Kazakhstan sneaked in into the nomansland of Europe and Asia, you want to bring definite Central Asian host cities to Eurovision? Seriously? :D

DISAGREE :)

A-lister
28th May 2012, 02:22
So just because a depopulated portion of Kazakhstan sneaked in into the nomansland of Europe and Asia, you want to bring definite Central Asian host cities to Eurovision? Seriously? :D

DISAGREE :)

Seriously yes! And it didn't "sneak in", the continent is what it is.

Anyways, this comes from someone who would rather add Angola in the contest :lol:

Yes let's do that ;) I doubt they'll enter though.

rajo
28th May 2012, 02:26
Our continent is undefined when it comes to borders with Asia. There are many theories where Europe ends and Asia begins, but none of them includes relevant portions of the Kazakhi population. I'm so sorry!

A-lister
28th May 2012, 02:30
Our continent is undefined when it comes to borders with Asia. There are many theories where Europe ends and Asia begins, but none of them includes relevant portions of the Kazakhi population. I'm so sorry!

Don't be sorry ;) According to most current definition of the continent, Kazakhstan indeed has a European part (just like Turkey has and the Caucasian countries). I already said I couldn't care less about the population, I mean that could be said about the Caucasian countries and Turkey aswell then.

rajo
28th May 2012, 02:31
Welcome to the geography class: :)

there are three overland boundaries subject to definition:
between Asia and Africa (dividing Afro-Eurasia into Africa and Eurasia): at the Isthmus of Suez
between Asia and Europe (dividing Eurasia): along the Bosporus, the Caucasus and the Urals (historically also north of the Caucasus, along the Kuma–Manych Depression or along the Don River)
between North America and South America (dividing the Americas): the Isthmus of Panama

The United Nations Statistics Division lists transcontinental countries under the continent in which they have the majority of their population:[17]
listed as part of Eastern Europe: Russian Federation
listed as part of Central Asia: Kazakhstan
listed as part of Western Asia: Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey and Cyprus

rajo
28th May 2012, 02:34
Don't be sorry ;) According to most current definition of the continent, Kazakhstan indeed has a European part (just like Turkey has and the Caucasian countries). I already said I couldn't care less about the population, I mean that could be said about the Caucasian countries and Turkey aswell then.

I think the Turkish population in Europe is not irrelevant. Istanbul has more people than Austria and Switzerland combined.

And for the caucasian countries, they are just lucky EBU let them in and they are still close enough to Europe.

A-lister
28th May 2012, 02:35
^
Really, I don't want to argue over this. No need, we just have a different opinion that's all.

I mean we can both pick and choose the definition that fits our own opinion here, there's no right or wrong.

rajo
28th May 2012, 02:43
So you think we can handle Eurovision at 2 AM local time in Astana? Is that reasonable?

And since Russia extends to the farest east until Alaska, should Russia be granted a host city like Vladivostok?? xshock

A-lister
28th May 2012, 03:00
So you think we can handle Eurovision at 2 AM local time in Astana? Is that reasonable?

And since Russia extends to the farest east until Alaska, should Russia be granted a host city like Vladivostok?? xshock

Just as with ESC in Baku, they put it in a time where the viewer concentration is (CET), so I wouldn't worry about that.. it'll most probably would start at 21:00 CET still.

The problem is more the Kazakh viewers and maybe the delegations, but not for the overall ESC viewer.

Yamarus
28th May 2012, 09:09
The problem is more the Kazakh viewers and maybe the delegations, but not for the overall ESC viewer.

To me that's a huge problem already.

NikkiBoy
28th May 2012, 10:39
::kz broadcated this years ESC, so maybe they debut in the future :o?

CPV4931
28th May 2012, 13:05
I hope for a debut of Kazakhstan... it would be interesting to see some music from Kazakhstan.
But on the other hand, as someone above said, it won´t make much sense to host Eurovision in Astana at 2 am.

Quent91
28th May 2012, 14:29
::kz broadcated this years ESC, so maybe they debut in the future :o?

::au also broadcast it. It doens't mean they'll ever enter it ;)

Sean
28th May 2012, 18:41
I'm pretty sure that if it was such a problem for Kazakhstan to host that far East they would bring the contest forward an hour, it's not like it'd create any problems starting at 7pm over here instead of 8 :lol:

I genuinely think that Kazakhstan will join this year (alongside Liechtenstein)

Rusch
28th May 2012, 18:43

I think the Australians would enter if they are allowed to do so. Kazakhstan is also not Europe, but far more near than Australia. ;)

A-lister
28th May 2012, 21:46
I think the Australians would enter if they are allowed to do so. Kazakhstan is also not Europe, but far more near than Australia. ;)

We already had that discussion, part of Kazakhstan (bigger than European Turkey or the European part of Caucasian countries) is in fact within the European continent, so it would just make sense if they were allowed.

bubblingtrue
28th May 2012, 21:50
We already had that discussion, part of Kazakhstan (bigger than European Turkey or the European part of Caucasian countries) is in fact within the European continent, so it would just make sense if they were allowed.

Only 5% of Kazakhstan is supposedly 'geographically' in Europe, however it is far removed from the continent, and that 5% is highly unpopulated, so to me it makes no sense for Kazakhstan to ever enter, plus with the massive time difference, makes the case against them even stronger. To expect singers to have to perform live vocals at 2 or 3 in the morning is highly unfair and impractical.

sokyratis555
29th May 2012, 06:30

there was actual a little talk about australia entering eurovision this year in the local media. eurovision is garnering massive massive interest in australia, and had constant updates from the event.

honestly, the possibility of australia entering is slightly there, aside from the 5am start time here and showing delayed coverage there is a chance. my suggestion to beat the time difference in countries that are far out would be 100% jury voting, and i think and pray it could happen

Quent91
29th May 2012, 15:29
there was actual a little talk about australia entering eurovision this year in the local media.

Oh My God, that would be wonderful.

But don't start to make a bloc with New-Zealand for the votes :evil:

A-lister
29th May 2012, 15:58
Only 5% of Kazakhstan is supposedly 'geographically' in Europe, however it is far removed from the continent, and that 5% is highly unpopulated, so to me it makes no sense for Kazakhstan to ever enter, plus with the massive time difference, makes the case against them even stronger. To expect singers to have to perform live vocals at 2 or 3 in the morning is highly unfair and impractical.

The same goes for the Turkish part of Europe, and even less of the Caucasian parts (I mean the % of land areal).

EdvinasLTU
22nd November 2012, 19:24
lach, all hopes are on kazakhstan. if they and portugal join ESC'13, Sweden will beat ESC-with-most-countries record! sooo?
And for those, who are saying, no for countries not from Europe, then...
bye bye Turkey, Cyprus, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Armenia and Russia. We don't care you have some land in Europe, but you are from Asia, bye.
Eurovision is contest, where countries share music, which they create and like. More countries means more unique music. Worldvision would be even more fun, BUT NOOO. WE WANT TO STAY HERE AND LISTEN TO STEREOTYPICAL-SWEDEN MUSIC WHICH GETS TO TOP 10 EVERY YEAR.

A-lister
22nd November 2012, 19:33
lach, all hopes are on kazakhstan. if they and portugal join ESC'13, Sweden will beat ESC-with-most-countries record! sooo?
And for those, who are saying, no for countries not from Europe, then...
bye bye Turkey, Cyprus, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Armenia and Russia. We don't care you have some land in Europe, but you are from Asia, bye.
Eurovision is contest, where countries share music, which they create and like. More countries means more unique music. Worldvision would be even more fun, BUT NOOO. WE WANT TO STAY HERE AND LISTEN TO STEREOTYPICAL-SWEDEN MUSIC WHICH GETS TO TOP 10 EVERY YEAR.

Kazakhstan aren't in EBU though?

I don't have any issues with Kazakhstan entering, as they are partly in Europe so it would be hypocritical not accepting them and accepting those you mentioned.

However, I don't agree that 'music is just music', since the concept is pretty clear EUROvision ... also I think there's a limit when the contest would become too big for its own good.

But would be great if ::kz would enter, and if ::pt confirms and none of the others withdraws it would indeed mean a record year, but they have to be accepted into EBU firstly.

EdvinasLTU
22nd November 2012, 19:37
State Television Company awaits of satisfaction of request for Pending or Approved EBU membership since 2008.
sigh, EBU just need to say YES to them..

A-lister
22nd November 2012, 19:39
sigh, EBU just need to say YES to them..

Yep, and haven't done so since 2008 so won't happen now, and if they would I think it would be on a meeting next year? and that would be too late anyways for them to prepare an entry for 2013 :(

EdvinasLTU
22nd November 2012, 19:42
Yep, and haven't done so since 2008 so won't happen now, and if they would I think it would be on a meeting next year? and that would be too late anyways for them to prepare an entry for 2013
well.. it wouldn't be too late, it's still a lot of time left. Actually EBU member should be in EBA, but more than half of EBU members are not in EBA.. EBU are such a rule-breakers.. :lol:

DannyDS
22nd November 2012, 19:43
I'd love to see Kazakhstan in the ESC xheart

A-lister
22nd November 2012, 19:55
So if SVT and EBU want a record year, they better accept ::kz like NOW! xcheer

And then Kazakhstan chooses a dream- team duo made up by singer Dinara Sultan and instrumental group Ulytau, and combine the style of the two songs below and they'll win in their debut year and we'll be going to Astana or Almaty in 2014 already :mrgreen: xcheer

Dinara Sultan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um9h1GklAIg

Ulytau

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B6ISJwIsos

Andrzej1987
22nd November 2012, 21:26
well.. it wouldn't be too late, it's still a lot of time left. Actually EBU member should be in EBA, but more than half of EBU members are not in EBA.. EBU are such a rule-breakers.. :lol:

To be a member of EBU a country has to be within the EBA or be a member of the Council of Europe, Kazakhstan is neither, that's why EBU cannot accept them.

LalehForWD
23rd November 2012, 15:35
To be a member of EBU a country has to be within the EBA or be a member of the Council of Europe, Kazakhstan is neither, that's why EBU cannot accept them.

You're right, as I understand the only country that fails both is Kazakhstan.
Council of Europe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Europe)
European Broadcasting Area (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Broadcasting_Area)

Question is: Do they have rights to apply membership in Council of Europe?

Andrzej1987
23rd November 2012, 15:50
You're right, as I understand the only country that fails both is Kazakhstan.
Council of Europe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Europe)
European Broadcasting Area (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Broadcasting_Area)

Question is: Do they have rights to apply membership in Council of Europe?.

They have when it comes to geography, but they are not democratic enough and there are human right concers - hmmm sounds exactly like some coutries within the Council, so double standards?

LalehForWD
23rd November 2012, 16:03

They have when it comes to geography, but they are not democratic enough and there are human right concers - hmmm sounds exactly like some coutries within the Council, so double standards?

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_Council_of_Europe)
"Kazakhstan applied for the Special Guest status with the Parliamentary Assembly in 1999. The Assembly found that Kazakhstan could apply for full membership, because 4% of its territory, west of the Ural river, is located in Europe,[6] but granting Special Guest status would require improvements in the fields of democracy and human rights. Kazakhstan signed a co-operation agreement with the Assembly in April 2004. In November 2006, the Kazakhstan Parliament officially asked to be granted observer status with the Assembly. On 15 to 16 March 2010, the President of the Council of Europe's Parliamentary Assembly (PACE) made an official visit to Kazakhstan,[7] resulting in the conclusion that the Council of Europe and Kazakhstan strengthen their relations. This milestone emboldens Kazakhstan's "Path to Europe" programme, as outlined by Kazakh president Nursultan Nazarbayev in Astana in 2008."

So would it be right to assume Kazakhstan is waiting for hers Council of Europe-membership to be able to participate in ESC?

Andrzej1987
23rd November 2012, 16:13
It means they are waiting for "observer" status to be granted to them, that is not full membership.

toinou03
23rd November 2012, 16:17
Neither Belarus nor Israel are members of the Council of Europe, because one don't have to be member of the Council of Europe to be part of EBU. In EBU there is also Morrocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Jordan and Lebanon, and all of these countries could plan to enter ESC, like Morrocco in 1980 or Lebanon in 2005.
Plus, Kazakhstan is a member of UEFA, like Israel. So, it would'nt be stupid to see Kazakhstan in ESC !

Archer
23rd November 2012, 16:21
Ulytau would be great for sure.

A-lister
23rd November 2012, 16:40

There are PLENTY of undemocratic countries with lack of human rights in EBU, even in ESC there are some. Kazakhstan is no worse than Belarus or Azerbaijan in regards to democracy, and FAR better than the Middle-Eastern/North-African EBU members when it comes to Human Rights.

LalehForWD
23rd November 2012, 16:48
There are PLENTY of undemocratic countries with lack of human rights in EBU, even in ESC there are some. Kazakhstan is no worse than Belarus or Azerbaijan in regards to democracy, and FAR better than the Middle-Eastern/North-African EBU members when it comes to Human Rights.

Perhaps there are, but they are in the European Broadcasting Area. Kazakhstan fails both criteria.

A-lister
23rd November 2012, 17:13
Perhaps there are, but they are in the European Broadcasting Area. Kazakhstan fails both criteria.

You must have missed the discussion, there was this assumption that Kazakhstan couldn't even be a member of the EBU because of the lack of democracy, and I just pointed out that EBU doesn't give a s* about democracy or human rights and Kazakhstan is far from being the worst example compared to some EBU members and it's not even worse than some countries already competing in ESC, so it would be hypocritical to say no to them based on such argumentations.

DanielLuis
23rd November 2012, 18:00
You must have missed the discussion, there was this assumption that Kazakhstan couldn't even be a member of the EBU because of the lack of democracy, and I just pointed out that EBU doesn't give a s* about democracy or human rights and Kazakhstan is far from being the worst example compared to some EBU members and it's not even worse than some countries already competing in ESC, so it would be hypocritical to say no to them based on such argumentations.

Well thats true. What LalehforWD is saying is that they wouldnt still be allowed to enter because of EBU's rules. She's not starting an argument.

A-lister
23rd November 2012, 18:09
Well thats true. What LalehforWD is saying is that they wouldnt still be allowed to enter because of EBU's rules. She's not starting an argument.

I didn't really question the truth in that statement, because she's right about that, but still though the comment of mine she responded to was a response to another comment claiming that Kazakhstan couldn't be a member of EBU because of lack of democracy, so that's what I meant that she missed the original discussion.

But of course it's true, we won't be seeing Kazakhstan in ESC as long as they're not members of EBU, but it would be hypocritical of EBU to exclude them based on their democracy and human rights level when current EBU members are even worse there.

dizzydjc
20th December 2012, 04:05
I have no idea if this has been posted anywhere, but is there any truth to this?

Kazakhstan to become a member of the European Broadcasting Union (http://www.bnews.kz/en/news/post/104040)

I would assume that they would only get approved in January when the EBU can accept submissions, so probably won't be until 2014 at earliest before we see them at ESC?

Sean
20th December 2012, 10:24
Great news :mrgreen:

A-lister
20th December 2012, 10:43
I have no idea if this has been posted anywhere, but is there any truth to this?

Kazakhstan to become a member of the European Broadcasting Union (http://www.bnews.kz/en/news/post/104040)

I would assume that they would only get approved in January when the EBU can accept submissions, so probably won't be until 2014 at earliest before we see them at ESC?

Really? Odd source though...

I think that's great :) Welcome to ESC ::kz xcheer

Especially in these days when countries drop out because of lack of money and interest, I'm pretty sure ::kz won't lack any of those!

Andrzej1987
20th December 2012, 12:54
So did the EBU membership rules changed?

A-lister
20th December 2012, 12:57
So did the EBU membership rules changed?

What rules?

LalehForWD
20th December 2012, 13:03
Sorry to say, but what Andrzej1987 (http://www.escforums.com/t7607-6/#post881314) commented still apply. As I understand Kazakhstan must first be a member of Council of Europe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Europe). Kazakhstan will apparently get "observer status" now. Searching and reading at the Council of Europe site is confusing though. I can't find any resolultion about Kazakhstan newer than 2006.

Belarus, Holy See (observer status) and Israel (observer status) are not members of Council of Europe.

A-lister
20th December 2012, 13:05
Sorry to say, but what Andrzej1987 (http://www.escforums.com/t7607-6/#post881314) commented still apply. As I understand Kazakhstan must first be a member of Council of Europe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Europe). Kazakhstan will apparently get "observer status" now. Searching and reading at the Council of Europe site is confusing though. I can't find any resolultion about Kazakhstan newer than 2006.

Belarus, Holy See (observer status) and Israel (observer status) are not members of Council of Europe.

So Belarus doesn't even have observer status? Well they're in the EBU, so obviously that rule doesn't apply then.

LalehForWD
20th December 2012, 13:44
Read post (http://www.escforums.com/t7607-6/#post881668) and Andrzej1987 ditto again. :)

LalehForWD
20th December 2012, 13:47
I'm guessing there's an issue that blocks any smooth progress for Kazakhstan, the issue has a name and the name is Putin. :(

Scooby
20th December 2012, 14:15
I'm guessing there's an issue that blocks any smooth progress for Kazakhstan, the issue has a name and the name is Putin. :(

xrofl3

GRE
20th December 2012, 14:42
Oh no these are not good news.
The European countries are leaving,and the ussr countries will become more !

CypriotGirl
20th December 2012, 14:44
Kazakhstan has timezone in some parts UTC+5 & and in other parts UTC+6. ESC show for them will start at 1:00 or 2:00 a.m. I don't think they are zombies to stay awake and watch it, so why to participate? :?

dizzydjc
20th December 2012, 15:26
Kazakhstan has timezone in some parts UTC+5 & and in other parts UTC+6. ESC show for them will start at 1:00 or 2:00 a.m. I don't think they are zombies to stay awake and watch it, so why to participate? :?

That's not any worse than Azerbaijan getting the show starting at 00:00.

I imagine they might change to 20:00 CET start time in that case, I don't see why not.

DanielLuis
20th December 2012, 22:26
That's not any worse than Azerbaijan getting the show starting at 00:00.

I imagine they might change to 20:00 CET start time in that case, I don't see why not.

I agree. I wouldnt mind it starting at 19 here in Portugal, and I guess CET countries wouldnt mind it at 20.

A-lister
20th December 2012, 22:30

And? Azerbaijan takes part, and what about the central and eastern parts of Russia (even further away than Kazakhstan). ::kz is part of the European continent, if they want to sit up and watch in the middle of the night then that's their prerogative right? It's not as if they force us rest to do the same.

Jim
20th December 2012, 22:56
And? Azerbaijan takes part, and what about the central and eastern parts of Russia (even further away than Kazakhstan). ::kz is part of the European continent, if they want to sit up and watch in the middle of the night then that's their prerogative right? It's not as if they force us rest to do the same.

You're right! I agree! :mrgreen:

Mickey
21st December 2012, 01:22
So Belarus doesn't even have observer status? Well they're in the EBU, so obviously that rule doesn't apply then.

There are two ways in. Either have territory within the European Broadcasting Area or be a member of the Council of Europe. Unlike Belarus, Kazakhstan isn't in the European Broadcasting Area, so the Council of Europe is their only option.

dragvision
21st December 2012, 01:34
now oiko confirmed kazak is near to ebu to esc
KAZAKHSTAN JOINS EBU (http://oikotimesofficial.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/kazakhstan-enters-the-ebu/)

SimoneMLK
21st December 2012, 01:34
Which countries can take part? | Eurovision Song Contest - Malmö 2013 (http://www.eurovision.tv/page/about/which-countries-can-take-part)

A-lister
21st December 2012, 01:44
There are two ways in. Either have territory within the European Broadcasting Area or be a member of the Council of Europe. Unlike Belarus, Kazakhstan isn't in the European Broadcasting Area, so the Council of Europe is their only option.

I see. It's a bit odd though, since EBU membership is a must to enter ESC, so being in the Council of Europe wouldn't help much there if they can't be EBU members?

A-lister
21st December 2012, 01:46
now oiko confirmed kazak is near to ebu to esc
KAZAKHSTAN JOINS EBU (http://oikotimesofficial.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/kazakhstan-enters-the-ebu/)

Wow, what a nasty article: "Our worst nightmare coming closer and closer". Talk about a totally non-objective country-hostile article.

DanielLuis
21st December 2012, 02:03
Wow, what a nasty article: "Our worst nightmare coming closer and closer". Talk about a totally non-objective country-hostile article.

Thats Oikotimes for you.

A-lister
21st December 2012, 02:09
Thats Oikotimes for you.

Well, I think they've been good at times but that comment was just nasty, and the fact that one of their editors are making it sound like it's totally ok.

I mean I don't like political correctness and since they're a private source they should be allowed to express their opinions on things, but such a comment seems totally uncalled for. Very disappointing Oiko.

Anyways, we'll have to wait and see whether these news are actually true or just rumors.

DanielLuis
21st December 2012, 03:55
Well, I think they've been good at times but that comment was just nasty, and the fact that one of their editors are making it sound like it's totally ok.

I mean I don't like political correctness and since they're a private source they should be allowed to express their opinions on things, but such a comment seems totally uncalled for. Very disappointing Oiko.

Anyways, we'll have to wait and see whether these news are actually true or just rumors.
They were very good but now they have decreased in level so much, specially because they keep on doing offensive comments like that.
Anyway, even if Kazakhstan enter EBU, they'll only be able to enter in 2014. And I bet if they really became a member, they'll debut in 2014.

Sean
21st December 2012, 10:40
Oikotimes have terrible journalistic quality. I read an article on there the other day that said San Marino sends crap entries. Whether it's your opinion or not if you want to be respected as a journalist then at least try to hide your prejudices. They used to be okay but they're appalling now.

Sim
21st December 2012, 13:25
Oikotimes have terrible journalistic quality. I read an article on there the other day that said San Marino sends crap entries. Whether it's your opinion or not if you want to be respected as a journalist then at least try to hide your prejudices. They used to be okay but they're appalling now.

altough they liked all 3 songs in Belgian NF, I agree on you.
Oikotimes really sucks (sorry for that) and I just read it to laugh

Mickey
22nd December 2012, 02:07
I see. It's a bit odd though, since EBU membership is a must to enter ESC, so being in the Council of Europe wouldn't help much there if they can't be EBU members?

A country can be eligible to join the EBU through being part of the Council of Europe (like Azerbaijan, who aren't in the broadcasting area).

A country can also be eligible to join the EBU through being in the broadcasting area (like Belarus, who aren't in the Council of Europe).

Kazakhstan currently satisfy neither condition. Unless they invade Russia and move their border further west, the only one of the two options they can satisfy in the future is the Council of Europe.

Jim
22nd December 2012, 02:46
Why behind "Kazakhstan 2013" it is not written "not taking part"? Maybe will we have a surprise and get a 40th country for Malmo? :confused:

A-lister
22nd December 2012, 18:32
A country can be eligible to join the EBU through being part of the Council of Europe (like Azerbaijan, who aren't in the broadcasting area).

A country can also be eligible to join the EBU through being in the broadcasting area (like Belarus, who aren't in the Council of Europe).

Kazakhstan currently satisfy neither condition. Unless they invade Russia and move their border further west, the only one of the two options they can satisfy in the future is the Council of Europe.

Yeah I get it know :) I read the list on Eurovision's page a bit closely.

But apparently, if rumors are to be trusted, they will be accepted into EBU pretty soon. But I doubt they could manage this year however, prob in 2014.

daniels1000
22nd December 2012, 19:20
Why behind "Kazakhstan 2013" it is not written "not taking part"? Maybe will we have a surprise and get a 40th country for Malmo? :confused:

No, it won't take part. EBU has already announced the participants' list xshrug

And that's added to the thread name now. :D

dragvision
13th May 2013, 09:02
what tell this adver? Kazak brodcast all the three show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JihhjPpee0

Farahim
13th May 2013, 10:04
^^ Yes but it says 40 countries. hmm