View Full Version : UNITED KINGDOM 2013 - Bonnie Tyler - Believe In Me

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

escYOUnited
27th April 2012, 05:17
http://www.escunited.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Reino-Unido.png

http://youtu.be/HALTU11QE6g

bashers
27th April 2012, 09:43
Yay, I'm the first poster! What can I say until we find out the result of Englebert! I have a feeling he will get mid table. Maybe someone like Mel C would be good as she's a decent singer. We don't need past time or famous people, just decent singers with a decent song. Hard to find?

Sahistul
27th April 2012, 09:52
Leona Lewis or Duffy......

Charly
27th April 2012, 09:58
Leona Lewis or Duffy......

Totally YES!

Sean
27th April 2012, 10:17
Adele will have revenge on her failed attempt to represent us this year. Mark my words...:mrgreen:

Haustor
27th April 2012, 10:35
Adele FTW.

RomanFromRussia
27th April 2012, 11:05
Spice Girls!

Metafeller
27th April 2012, 11:09
Did not Adele break her music career for a few years? Is there a possibility to see her in Eurovision? Also her music genre is so much different than Eurovision.

Cooler
27th April 2012, 12:56
Please not Adele, I've recently realised how depressive her songs had been. :lol:
Leona's ok, but rather boring.

I'm cheerin' for The Saturdays, although I know they do not have any chances, or whatever, I mean, the UK has got so many great singers and BBC always decides on something... bad. :lol:

doctormalisimo
27th April 2012, 16:26
Dear Matt, could you please ban/censor the following words from this thread?

Adele
Katie Melua
HURTS
Steps
Spice Girls

Thank you :)

Yoni
27th April 2012, 16:29
Hopefully Pixie Lott.

But seriously, the market in the UK is so big and important that BBC can only disappoint (which is something they quite excel at unfortunately)

dizzydjc
27th April 2012, 17:23
I think it's likely that next year it will be a "The Voice" reject, not that that will be a bad thing in any way.

Failing that, I would love Lucie Jones to do it. She's done West End Eurovision for last 3 years so she kind of knows a bit about it and she has a good voice and would be able to sing a ballad with some gusto.

Sean
27th April 2012, 18:12
As I previously posted in the 2012 thread, Pete Doherty is interested...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a375328/pete-doherty-i-want-to-do-eurovision-for-uk-or-france.html

GodSaveTheQueen
27th April 2012, 21:31
Florence + The Machine or The Kooks.

LeBomb
28th April 2012, 13:19
It will be Adele obviously.

:D

Sim
28th April 2012, 13:24
Adele FTW!

Sean
29th April 2012, 10:57
Hope to god it won't be Jason Donovan. I'd be even more dissapointed than I initially was when The Hump was announced :/

Jukica
29th April 2012, 17:11
Pixie Lott or Cheryl Cole or Adele :D

GRE
29th April 2012, 17:29
Madonna!

Sean
29th April 2012, 18:17
Madonna!

She's American :L

MrJadeEwen
29th April 2012, 19:15
For those saying Pixie Lott, have you heard her live?! Just no :P

Also no to Jason Donovan, seriously he can't sing -.-

I Wanna see who they replace Alesha with on Strictly before I make my mind up, she used to be the BBC's version of Cheryl, now she's gone xD And I highly doubt any of The Voice coaches would be mildly interested, all awesome but all sane enough to say no xD

bashers
30th April 2012, 00:08
God...can't believe you lot would suggest 95% of the people you have already. Let's be completely realistic here. It's more than likely to be some reject from The Voice. It'd never be Adele, Leona, Pixie etc

MrJadeEwen
30th April 2012, 00:42
God...can't believe you lot would suggest 95% of the people you have already. Let's be completely realistic here. It's more than likely to be some reject from The Voice. It'd never be Adele, Leona, Pixie etc

Good, the Voice rejects can all sing better than Pixie Lott -.-

QwaarJet
30th April 2012, 06:21
OK, so we know It's going to be Adele, but what kind of song will she sing?

GodSaveTheQueen
30th April 2012, 18:24
She's American :L

:D :D

MrJadeEwen
30th April 2012, 23:21
OK, so we know It's going to be Adele, but what kind of song will she sing?

Screamo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TlgGsYvbI8

WhoKnows
1st May 2012, 05:40
Adele sounds like someone cool enough to go to ESC and not be scared about 'failing'.

Sean
6th May 2012, 22:36
Another cheesy misguided reality show contestant who thinks they'd be 'perfect for Eurovision'.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s107/britains-got-talent/news/a380141/britains-got-talent-showbears-want-eurovision-if-jedward-can-do-it.html

NikkiBoy
10th May 2012, 21:42
OMG ADELE! UK WILL WIN!

CPV4931
11th May 2012, 16:36
As I say every year: Status Quo :-)

sonami
14th May 2012, 15:11
I agree, mel c would be excellent.... very emotive voice :)

Sean
17th May 2012, 18:47
Posting this here as it's relevant to 2013 too;

http://www.escforums.com/showthread.php/5684-UNITED-KINGDOM-2012-Engelbert-Humperdinck-Love-Will-Set-You-Free?p=748170&viewfull=1#post748170

NikkiBoy
22nd May 2012, 21:08
Jade Ewan again or ONE DIRECTION :D

Matt
24th May 2012, 19:56
According to reports in Irish media today, the record industry and TV mogul Simon Cowell has been commenting about the Eurovision Song Contest. “I think the BBC should have asked me to sort it out, Let’s just say, I wouldn’t have picked Engelbert Humperdinck”, he is alleged to have said

FULL ESCTODAY ARTICLE (http://www.esctoday.com/?p=36174)

Sean
24th May 2012, 20:19
Funny that, Simon Cowell despised Eurovision a few years ago. I think he's beginning to see the UK is caring a lot more about it now than in the mid-00s and is trying to cash in on that. No thanks, Mr Cowell..

Sean
27th May 2012, 12:10
Yup, I only see one logical choice next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TB1x67Do5U&ob=av2e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nP3XB7hrFo&ob=av2n

The BBC are so thick for not having even tried them as an experiment yet - this year's experiment really didn't pay off :(

bubblingtrue
27th May 2012, 15:44
Yup, I only see one logical choice next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TB1x67Do5U&ob=av2e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nP3XB7hrFo&ob=av2n

The BBC are so thick for not having even tried them as an experiment yet - this year's experiment really didn't pay off :(

I don't get the hole hype on here about Hurts representing the UK every year? Do most people in the UK know who they are, let alone Europe?

danuk
27th May 2012, 23:02
Gotta be honest, I've not heard much of them before. What are they like live?

Sean
27th May 2012, 23:11
I don't get the hole hype on here about Hurts representing the UK every year? Do most people in the UK know who they are, let alone Europe?

Because they are
- Popular in Eastern Europe (look at the viewcounts on YouTube)
- Modern and contemporary
- Competent songwriters
- Good relations with fanbase (Jedward style calls for voting?)
- INTERESTED.

They're just the thing we need, unfortunately the BBC seems oblivious to their hints...

Quent91
27th May 2012, 23:27
What about the Pet Shop Boys ?

Yamarus
27th May 2012, 23:32
What about the Pet Shop Boys ?

Far too gay and not that popular outside of the UK's usual fan countries. I'm also not quite sure they're interested.

I'm 100% behind Hurts if they're interested.

Otherwise, no to any kind of has-(never)-beens, and especially not Mel C.

BRITAIN please stop sending us zombies from your pop-past! Blue and Engelbert... that's enough

Grinch
28th May 2012, 00:48
Just send One Direction. Top 5 is quaranteed.

Matt
28th May 2012, 05:13
While I am a big fan of NF's I don't know if it's the right thing for the UK. They have a bad record of choosing songs e.g. Scooch over Cyndi so I'll say three times the charm and go with an internal choice and I'm confident that in 2013 they'll make the right decision.

NikkiBoy
28th May 2012, 10:43
If Adele or 1D was in ESC, there will win :D

Andalublue
28th May 2012, 11:01
I just heard on Radio 5Live The Scissor Sisters say they'd love to represent the UK next year. Woo-hoo!

Yamarus
28th May 2012, 11:02
I just heard on Radio 5Live The Scissor Sisters say they'd love to represent the UK next year. Woo-hoo!

That would be FANTABULOUS. But I won't hold my breath, the BBC will prefer sending Bewitched or Ann Lee.

Andalublue
28th May 2012, 11:07

Never heard of them, but I like the two songs posted. They're hardly a big international name though, now are they?

GRE
28th May 2012, 11:08
Adele for UK.

Andalublue
28th May 2012, 11:11
As I say every year: Status Quo :-)

I think they are older than Engelbert and 5 of the six Buranovskiye Babushki.

My number one choice for the UK next year would be Jessie J. She's an awesome live performer.

Yamarus
28th May 2012, 11:12
My number one choice for the UK next year would be Jessie J. She's an awesome live performer.

I think seeing Jessie J at the ESC is about as likely as Cher competing for Armenia.

CPV4931
28th May 2012, 13:19

first rumor of 2013 :-)
Yes, Scissor Sisters would be a good idea. Something like "I don´t feel like dancing" or "Fire with Fire" would also be honored with lots of points and a good place I think.

MrJadeEwen
28th May 2012, 13:46
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4341362/Engelbert-Humperdincks-Eurovision-flop-sparks-fears-UK-wont-be-able-to-get-top-singers-for-the-contest.html

The Sun doing it's usual =.=

kotten
28th May 2012, 14:34
Even though I'm no fan of Hurts it seems like the most realistic choice, it's not going to be any bigger acts I reckon.

bubblingtrue
28th May 2012, 15:14
I think it would be great to send Jade back again, with a Sugababes v4.0-esque song like 'About A Girl' or 'Wear My Kiss'

CypriotGirl
28th May 2012, 16:33

They are very famous here. Their songs "Wonderful Life" and "Stay" were very big hits in Greece & Cyprus...

+1 to Scissor Sisters too!

Sean
28th May 2012, 17:45
Yes please to the Scissor Sisters if they're interested. Quite surprising actually as their latest single is doing quite well at the minute.

Something like Only The Horses or Fire With Fire and I will be incredible happy with them (yeah yeah they're American but still)

QwaarJet
28th May 2012, 18:18
Scissor Sisters are one of my favourite bands, and Eurovision is the kind of thing I'd imagine them doing. Of course they are American, so would pose a few problems.

Andalublue
28th May 2012, 18:25
Yes please to the Scissor Sisters if they're interested. Quite surprising actually as their latest single is doing quite well at the minute.

Something like Only The Horses or Fire With Fire and I will be incredible happy with them (yeah yeah they're American but still)

So was Katrina, and I'm pretty sure Céline Dion isn't Swiss. In fact, about ten Eurovision winners were not nationals of the country they represented. So what?

Sean
28th May 2012, 18:37
So was Katrina, and I'm pretty sure Céline Dion isn't Swiss. In fact, about ten Eurovision winners were not nationals of the country they represented. So what?

Nothing at all, I'm supporting them being chosen (or Hurts). I think they feel more loyal to Britain than America somehow anyway so it'd be great to see them.

No doubt the BBC has other ideas though...seriously, if we send another sub-par act next year I completely give up on the UK in Eurovision :(

Andalublue
28th May 2012, 19:51
Nothing at all, I'm supporting them being chosen (or Hurts). I think they feel more loyal to Britain than America somehow anyway so it'd be great to see them.

No doubt the BBC has other ideas though...seriously, if we send another sub-par act next year I completely give up on the UK in Eurovision :(

I'd suggest that what the BBC should concentrate on is the writer/composer. A well-known artist with a poor song is less likely to win than an unknown performer with a strong song. It's a song contest, after all.

danuk
28th May 2012, 22:04
Would r'n'b flop at Eurovision?

sokyratis555
29th May 2012, 06:46
i feel that patience is needed for the uk. nobody hates them, they dont recieve points because of good reasons

2012 - great song, but a shaky performance, an old fashioned song and being the first to perform hindered it
2011 - 11th is a terrific result for a 90s boy band song
2010 - was the worst song. simple as that. atrocious performance, the worst possibly singer, and a song decades out of place
2009 - 5th place for a terrific performance, jade ewen classed it up, and andrew llyod webber stepped it up too
2008 - the same as 2010, a song so out of place, and with an awful performance
2007 - scooch was a great lot of fun, and was a hillarious song, one of my favourites ever, but it wasnt a song to vote for really, it was a fun thing to enjoy. grannies this year were just as fun, but was a lot more unexpected fun then forced sexualized lyrics
2006 - an awful song.
2005 - a good pop performance, shouldve done better, but was a little cliche

overall, a diverse look back there, but i dont think any of those songs was neglected due to voting patterns. realistic bands to perform for the uk next year: the reason 4, gina g (shes desperate for more attention lol) olly murs (i could easily see a great performance from him) mel b even (please just get her out of australia please!) . a spice girl could really spice it up!

Charly
29th May 2012, 11:13
Reality Show Pop Stars, One Direction, have been lined up to represent the UK in the 2013 Eurovision Song Contest.

"We had to act fast," said Sebastian Coe, who has been appointed to make sure that Britain win in 2013 after several years of abject failure. "Many people are asking why we are funding and entering the contest if we aren't taking it seriously."

According to Coe, the UK have been treating the contest seriously, but the selection criteria for songs has been poor.

"Lets face it," said Seb, "this year there was a choice of five songs and five acts, and the public voted. There was only seven votes between Engelbert Humpadinck and second place, and Engelbert got nine votes. In total. This shows that the British people don't care about Eurovision."

Coe was appointed as soon as the voting finished leaving the UK in penultimate bottom place. A position he was only too happy to accept now that his job with the Olympic committee is finished.

"I told the Eurovision committee that we had two options," said Sebastian. "We could either stop funding the competition, or we could actually try and win it."

According to Coe, the first option is not an option, as the Eurovision committee have a cushy number, one that they have held for forty years.

"Unfortunately," Coe admitted, "they are a little out of touch."

This has left Coe with the option of trying to win the next competition. To this end, he has asked One Direction to win it for England; something the X-Factor contestants are only too happy to do.

"Our next step," said Coe, "is to get a top song writer to write us a song. We're not talking some Gilbert and Sullivan era song here. I'm not approaching Tim Rice. I've so far asked Gary Barlow, Rhianna and Jesse Jay to write a song. They are all going to think about it."

This means that Coe will be abandoning the public selection of the song.

"To be fair to the British Public," Coe said, "they're bloody hopeless at picking winners. They vote for the underdog, when they can be arse to vote. It's not the way to pick a winning tune."

Coe even has a contingency plan in place in case 1Direction don't win Eurovision in 2013.

"If we don't win it next year," he said, "We'll be doing an X-Factor like show, with the winner going on to do the Eurovision in 2014. Even if we don't win, we should make back our funding of the contest in telephone votes, so at least it won't have cost us anything."

Looka like Coe Confirmed UK Participation

Yamarus
29th May 2012, 11:18
this year there was a choice of five songs and five acts, and the public voted. There was only seven votes between Engelbert Humpadinck and second place, and Engelbert got nine votes. In total. This shows that the British people don't care about Eurovision.

9 votes TOTAL? Out of 60 million Brits?

That's HILARIOUS!

And I like this guy. Is there actual hope that someone at the BBC has FINALLY realised the pile of crap the UK has sent over the last decade, and is willing to do something about it?

If the UK wakes up, it is so winning ESC 2013.

MrJadeEwen
29th May 2012, 14:27
Charlyje what's your source? That's awesome

Edit: Hang on there was no public vote in 2012, the BBC picked him internally, Someone making a joke :( booo

Andalublue
29th May 2012, 15:23
Would r'n'b flop at Eurovision?

It flops everywhere except UK and USA. It's certainly not popular anywhere I've been in Europe. Who do you have in mind?

Quent91
29th May 2012, 15:26
http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s4i107134

Andalublue
29th May 2012, 15:32
overall, a diverse look back there, but i dont think any of those songs was neglected due to voting patterns. realistic bands to perform for the uk next year: the reason 4, gina g (shes desperate for more attention lol) olly murs (i could easily see a great performance from him) mel b even (please just get her out of australia please!) . a spice girl could really spice it up!

I agree with your analysis, although I disagree that political voting plays no part in how badly the UK (and all the Big 5, really) have done since the expansion of the contest. Generally, I think the western countries votes according to music, the Scandiwegians, Balkans and ex-Soviets vote for their friends. That's how it has always been; I'm not sure there's anything you can do about it.

I hate your suggestions though. Gina G??? She hasn't had a single hit since Ooh Ahh... Olly Murs isn't a terrible idea, but he's popular because of his personality as much as his voice and that might not come across to the ESC audience. Mel B is another pop has-been. She should stay in Australia.

There are two people I'd like to see being given a go: Kate Rusby - possibly the most beautiful voice currently recording and performing in the UK. She also writes wonderful songs, especially ballads. And Alexandra Burke. She has a great, great voice and can do ballad, dance or belter equally well. Single female artists are the most popular line-up for ESC success, and the UK has a lot of very talented female vocalists.

Andalublue
29th May 2012, 15:50
Reality Show Pop Stars, One Direction, have been lined up to represent the UK in the 2013 Eurovision Song Contest.

"We had to act fast," said Sebastian Coe, who has been appointed to make sure that Britain win in 2013 after several years of abject failure. "Many people are asking why we are funding and entering the contest if we aren't taking it seriously."

According to Coe, the UK have been treating the contest seriously, but the selection criteria for songs has been poor.

"Lets face it," said Seb, "this year there was a choice of five songs and five acts, and the public voted. There was only seven votes between Engelbert Humpadinck and second place, and Engelbert got nine votes. In total. This shows that the British people don't care about Eurovision."

Coe was appointed as soon as the voting finished leaving the UK in penultimate bottom place. A position he was only too happy to accept now that his job with the Olympic committee is finished.

"I told the Eurovision committee that we had two options," said Sebastian. "We could either stop funding the competition, or we could actually try and win it."

According to Coe, the first option is not an option, as the Eurovision committee have a cushy number, one that they have held for forty years.

"Unfortunately," Coe admitted, "they are a little out of touch."

This has left Coe with the option of trying to win the next competition. To this end, he has asked One Direction to win it for England; something the X-Factor contestants are only too happy to do.

"Our next step," said Coe, "is to get a top song writer to write us a song. We're not talking some Gilbert and Sullivan era song here. I'm not approaching Tim Rice. I've so far asked Gary Barlow, Rhianna and Jesse Jay to write a song. They are all going to think about it."

This means that Coe will be abandoning the public selection of the song.

"To be fair to the British Public," Coe said, "they're bloody hopeless at picking winners. They vote for the underdog, when they can be arse to vote. It's not the way to pick a winning tune."

Coe even has a contingency plan in place in case 1Direction don't win Eurovision in 2013.

"If we don't win it next year," he said, "We'll be doing an X-Factor like show, with the winner going on to do the Eurovision in 2014. Even if we don't win, we should make back our funding of the contest in telephone votes, so at least it won't have cost us anything."

Looka like Coe Confirmed UK Participation

One Direction is a terrible choice. Eurovision audiences don't like boy bands. The last and only boy band to win were Herreys in 1984. Why go for a tried and failed strategy? It's clear Coe hasn't the foggiest idea about how to succeed in Eurovision. Weird!

If the UK wants to win they'd be advised to go for a female soloist; 32 out of 57 ESCs have been won by female soloists. Makes sense.

MrJadeEwen
29th May 2012, 17:43
http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s4i107134

If you look at the picture it's of 4 girls, clearly taking the mickey xD

Sean
29th May 2012, 18:03

I would've thought the name of the website would've been more of a giveaway

Andalublue
29th May 2012, 18:18

Ha, ha, ha!!!!!!

Great! I totally believed the post, then read the link. Very funny. I should have twigged when it talked about the Eurovision committee. It doesn't exist. We were truly had!

danuk
29th May 2012, 19:35
It flops everywhere except UK and USA. It's certainly not popular anywhere I've been in Europe. Who do you have in mind?

Was just generally wondering. Heard some songs on the radio and just thought 'how would this do at ESC?' :)

AdelAdel
29th May 2012, 22:13
Come on guys, it is the "whatever language" rule that made you hinder. When countries were supposed to sing in their native language, UK was almost always in the top-10, because people/juries could understand what is the singer singing about. Now that everyone can sing in English, UK got all confused and didn't know what to do. English language is not helping UK anymore, you need to be more creative. Come on, send someone like Jade with a powerful ballad and we'll be all happy.

bubblingtrue
30th May 2012, 14:40
Come on guys, it is the "whatever language" rule that made you hinder. When countries were supposed to sing in their native language, UK was almost always in the top-10, because people/juries could understand what is the singer singing about. Now that everyone can sing in English, UK got all confused and didn't know what to do. English language is not helping UK anymore, you need to be more creative. Come on, send someone like Jade with a powerful ballad and we'll be all happy.

We need to start a campaign to bring Jade back to Eurovision!!!

DanielLuis
30th May 2012, 15:53
ADELE! :lol: Could you imagine? It would make ESC pretty popular! And she definetely would pull a great performance! But its obviously impossible! :cry:

MrJadeEwen
30th May 2012, 21:28
http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/tv/eurovision/united-kingdom

Some random odds from William Hill:

Spice Girls 10/1
Susan Boyle 12/1
James Blunt 25/1
Will Young 25/1
Take That 33/1
Adele 50/1
Cliff Richard 50/1
Elton John 50/1

Others:
Not to win up to and including 2020 2/5
To win up to and including 2020 7/2
Simon Cowell to Take over selection 16/1
Withdraw 25/1

Quent91
30th May 2012, 21:45
What does it mean being at 20/1 or 50/1 ? What's the difference ? :oops:

MrJadeEwen
30th May 2012, 21:54
What does it mean being at 20/1 or 50/1 ? What's the difference ? :oops:

If you put a €1 bet on at 20/1 you get 20x your bet (€20) plus what you put on so €21
If you put a €1 bet on at 50/1 you get 50x your bet (€50) plus what you put on so €51
If you put a €1 bet on at 7/2 you get 7/2x your bet (€3.5) plus what you put on so €4.5
hope that helps :)

So a bet of 20/1 is more likely to happen than a bet of 50/1

Quent91
30th May 2012, 22:25
thanks ;)

Andalublue
31st May 2012, 01:55

UK ought to enter a song in Welsh or Scots Gallic. It's about time.

QwaarJet
31st May 2012, 09:48

There are only a few thousand people in Scotland that can speak Gaelic. It's pretty much a dead language, and sounds terrible anyway.

Andalublue
31st May 2012, 10:47
There are only a few thousand people in Scotland that can speak Gaelic. It's pretty much a dead language, and sounds terrible anyway.

It's beautiful and poetic and perfect for ballads.

LalehForWD
31st May 2012, 19:49
If you want to win with grace
Sade - Soldier Of Love xheartxheart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR5_rTCi-Bo&ob=av2e

bubblingtrue
31st May 2012, 22:16
If you want to win with garce
Sade - Soldier Of Love xheartxheart

I think this one would do better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8QJmI_V3j4&ob=av2e

MrJadeEwen
1st June 2012, 02:53
After this year's Fiasco we need to prove we can win and do well. So we need to pull out all the stops with the big artists

Adele
Ed Sheeran
Emeli Sandé
Jessie J
Olly Murs
One Direction
I.E. those currently charting, as proved by Loreen's result at ESC, 12 from the UK and performance on the UK iTunes people clearly want current and the UK need to prove that's what we can do. No more hasbeens or watermans :)

Yamarus
1st June 2012, 10:50
I don't think any of the artists you cited would risk going to Eurovision.

I think the UK should use it to showcase more young talents. The way I see it, their mindset should be: "we should stop worrying about results, and send something we feel is really fresh and daring. If it finishes last again, at least we will be able to say that it was a ambitious bet."

QwaarJet
1st June 2012, 10:55
Every year I'm going to keep saying Ladytron, until it actually happens.

LalehForWD
1st June 2012, 20:08
I think this one would do better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8QJmI_V3j4&ob=av2e

Haha perhaps, I just took a recent one. :) The Soldier of Love album is so beautiful but if I had to choose, I would pick Skin. There is no video for Skin though. Sade are huge in Sweden with Soldier of Love going gold in 2010.

My point is even if Engelbert Humperdinck didn't do well, there is no need to pick a name from the contemporary pop-list. The thought behind giving Engelbert Humperdinck a shot is absolutely right, BMO. Too bad he didn't do better.

FrachellyJelly
1st June 2012, 22:03

Welsh language would be the most realistic one as 1million or about that speak it, nobody really speaks scottish. Welsh would be cool though

CPV4931
2nd June 2012, 00:46
What about Amy Macdonald? :-)
I like almonst all her songs and she´s quite famous all over Europe.

une
2nd June 2012, 23:31
Congratulations to Leanne Mitchell for winning The Voice, she was my absolute favourite from a few series back. I was hoping she could be a good candidate te represent UK in Eurovision 2013, but now that she has won, it's a bit less possible(I think). With the right song - some strong ballad- she could win over Europe, I wish she can do that....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqcVjFSL6sk&feature=player_embedded

theCONWEL
3rd June 2012, 00:14
I think Tulisa would do quite well, I mean, she can actually sing really well.. give her an Ani Lorak style song maybe? :p

CypriotGirl
3rd June 2012, 00:31
I think Tulisa would do quite well, I mean, she can actually sing really well.. give her an Ani Lorak style song maybe? :p

Yes please! ;)

QwaarJet
3rd June 2012, 11:29

Every time I've heard her sing, It's been awful and her music isn't much better. UK can do a LOT better than Tulisa. She wouldn't do it anyway, so It's a moot point.

Venage
3rd June 2012, 11:42
Please send Alex Clare. He is so popular over here and his music is just awesome :)

DanielLuis
3rd June 2012, 17:17
So theres rumours Scissor Sisters are happy to represent the UK next year!

Mickey
3rd June 2012, 19:50
Congratulations to Leanne Mitchell for winning The Voice, she was my absolute favourite from a few series back. I was hoping she could be a good candidate te represent UK in Eurovision 2013, but now that she has won, it's a bit less possible(I think). With the right song - some strong ballad- she could win over Europe, I wish she can do that....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqcVjFSL6sk&feature=player_embedded
Before last night, I thought she was the most likely candidate from The Voice, but I agree, there's no chance now she's won. I'm quite glad, actually. I wasn't a fan.

I think we're more likely to get someone who lost in the semis.

Sean
3rd June 2012, 19:51
So theres rumours Scissor Sisters are happy to represent the UK next year!

Jake Shears said so himself so its not really a rumour :P

The BBC won't choose them though - they've had offers from Radiohead, Morrissey, The Darkness, HURTS, Katie Melua and Scissor Sisters but they still choose acts like Josh Dubovie...

sonami
4th June 2012, 00:19
BONSOIR EUROPE, uk will be back in 2013.... and lilly allen is talkng with sir cliff richard for a duet..... someone shoot me now.... please.... begging, lol

EscTurkey
4th June 2012, 00:27
Of course Hurts!!
ESC is right up their alley.

bubblingtrue
5th June 2012, 00:56
would love to see Molotov Jukebox representing the UK... I'm afraid the video quality is rubbish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwLb2_poYCQ

EscTurkey
5th June 2012, 19:52
For HURTS fans:
https://twitter.com/theohurts/status/203107295410917377/photo/1/large

Source: The official twitter page of Theo Hutchcraft
BBC already asked them in 2012. :(

Sean
5th June 2012, 19:55
Yeah it was discussed. Personally I think the supposed letter/e-mail is a fake, created by Theo to try and trick the BBC into asking them for 2013

bashers
7th June 2012, 12:22
WHY WHY WHY do you always talk about someone famous representing us? Have you not learnt ANYTHING from the past few years? If someone does...we'll be moaning straight afterwards (like now) that 'it doesn't matter how famous you are, no-one will like us..blah blah'. It's frustrating. It's not reality. Lets actually get someone unknown with talent and a bloody fantastic song for a change!

If I hear 'The Hurts' being mentioned one more time...! They will not participate next year. Mark. My. Words.

Mickey
7th June 2012, 21:49
WHY WHY WHY do you always talk about someone famous representing us? Have you not learnt ANYTHING from the past few years?

I've learnt that if you send someone who still has an international fanbase (Lloyd Webber, Blue) you can do well. If you send someone whose fanbase has either moved on or have died (Waterman, Humperdinck), you end up near the bottom.

LalehForWD
7th June 2012, 22:53
Sorry to interfer. You're not getting anywhere I think.

Just ask yourself:
What do you want to achieve with your selection? A win? Why do you want to win? Is the British music scene gaining anything from this? What do the British people getting from the UK participate in Eurovision?

In Sweden (:mrgreen:) we have this great festival in the middle of the winter going for 6 weeks. It is light, glitter, glamour and as crazy as we can get in everyday life. Participation is mandatory. The people get their glamour, the newspapers get their drama and the music/entertainment industry get their hits and acts. And yes, in May when we almost have forgotten all about it, it pops up again at Eurovision. At this stage, winning suddenly doesn't seem that important any longer for most people. This year was special though, when our very own and lovely Loreen participated and won.

Sweden is a small country and this model is probably completely wrong for the UK. Ultimately it's a British people's festivity. They should have the power to vote and select their participant. The more wrong they vote, the more fun it gets. And most important, the more attention and devotion is generated.

I think a workable way would be to identify the parties that would have something to win with a changed British ESC selection. British fashion industry, the entertainment and musical business, the artists, the music industry, TV- sound- and light-technique business etc. And start lobbying.

If I was British, I must admit I would not give the ESC a slightest thought as it is now.

MyHeartIsYours
8th June 2012, 02:04
This is what IconBar - a gay bar in Manchester that loves Eurovision :mrgreen: - has posted on their Facebook. Who knows if it's true but we can hope, cant we! :D

"In a report regard the failings of BBC show The Voice, insiders mention that Auntie is after keeping Gary Barlow and possibly Annie Lennox in mind for helping to find the UKs 2013 entrant in Eurovision after the huge success of the Jubilee Concert. Talks have also been rumoured that the UK public will once again choose the artist to go to Sweden by public vote. The fear at the moment is how they will do this considering the been has spent £25m on The Voice. But Eurovision is a big ratings hit for the network, one they are determined to get right again!"

bashers
8th June 2012, 13:25
Rumours started already? LOL Gary Barlow...really? As if he'd be interested in ESC!

Sean
8th June 2012, 13:26
Yeuch, Gary Barlow...

penguinperson
8th June 2012, 13:49
Gary Barlow said he will never do it as it's beneath him. More like he came last in a NF under a pseudonym song writer has put him off.

John Barrowman says he gets asked every year he's on a BBC 10 to get. God forbid what the others must be like.

Pixie can't sing, One Direction can't sing, Leanne jury fodda the televotes dislike Bo, Tyler, Max or Vince would make for better options.

If Scissors or Hurts want it give it to them and let them have a year to write a song. That's to forward thinking for the BBC.

Daily Mail today suggests it will be a NF so the BBC can blame the public as being useless at picking an act. Yet the BBC would be asking the acts along anyway duh.

I'd probably ask Clare Maguire, Wolfgang, Scissor Sisiters, Patrick Wolf, Hurts, Aiden Grimshaw, and Rebecca Ferguson type acts who have a certain style that would make a song gel better.

I would avoid Steps, Attomic Kitten, Leanne Mitchell, Michael Ball, Cliff Richard, Novelty, John Barrowman, and One Direction acts like the plague.

I mean they need to come up with a chart hit ask the likes of Scott and Sara Radio 1 DJs no less.

Sean
8th June 2012, 13:53
I'd probably ask Clare Maguire, Wolfgang, Scissor Sisters, Patrick Wolf, Hurts, Aiden Grimshaw, and Rebecca Ferguson type acts who have a certain style that would make a song gel better.

That'd be such an incredible NF for both BBC and Eurovision standards :mrgreen:

penguinperson
8th June 2012, 14:10
That'd be such an incredible NF for both BBC and Eurovision standards :mrgreen:

I think a Song for Europe is the only way to go. The acts are more likely to do it if they aren't competing against each other.

Mickey
8th June 2012, 20:02
I think a Song for Europe is the only way to go. The acts are more likely to do it if they aren't competing against each other.

This.

PoppySnuggleGlass
9th June 2012, 18:30
Whilst I agree that the public vote is the only way to go, it was through the public vote that we wound up with acts like Jemini, Daz Sampson and Scooch. Albeit, the standard of the candidates wasn’t brilliant to begin with (and thank God we didn’t wind up with blummin’ Katie Price in 2005).

LmxiPg6Xwwo
WHY ARE THEY CHEERING!?

We should just throw freedom of expression out the window and ban novelty/talentless acts from entering, considering the British public are hell bent on voting for the campest, most ridiculous acts available to them. Although, I guess they HAD some standards in 2005.

The stages/semi (not sure how to describe it) worked better in 2009, and saw Jade win the NF. Unfortunately, the song was as bland as British food, but she had a beltin’ voice!

Mickey
9th June 2012, 18:42
That's why Song for Europe is a better idea. One artist; the public picks the song. No worries about the public voting for a novelty act. No worries for the artist suffering an embarrassing NF defeat.

It also ensures the song we pick has some sort of vote-winning potential. I bet if Enge had picked his song this way, he wouldn't have sung Love Will Set You Free in Baku.

PoppySnuggleGlass
9th June 2012, 18:51
That's why Song for Europe is a better idea. One artist; the public picks the song. No worries about the public voting for a novelty act. No worries for the artist suffering an embarrassing NF defeat.

It also ensures the song we pick has some sort of vote-winning potential. I bet if Enge had picked his song this way, he wouldn't have sung Love Will Set You Free in Baku.

Ah, I can agree to that! (I wasn't sure what everybody had meant by 'Song for Europe' before, I had just assumed that it meant a generic televote NF system with multiple artists).

It would be super-special-awesome to have a Melodifestivalen type contest in the UK. Artists in Sweden are certainly able to get over their own ego and face defeat, but I guess it wouldn't work here. Whilst the members of this board are serious about Eurovision, it usually gets a bad rep with the general British public (irrespective of viewing figures).

GRE
10th June 2012, 10:21
According to this article,UK will be in eurovision 2013.
http://www.escflashmalta.com/index.php/music-news/international-music-news/item/2032-united-kingdom-bbc-going-back-to-national-final

penguinperson
10th June 2012, 19:50
According to this article,UK will be in eurovision 2013.
http://www.escflashmalta.com/index.php/music-news/international-music-news/item/2032-united-kingdom-bbc-going-back-to-national-final

Graham confirmed it on the night. This is from a Daily Mail opinion column which is a paper full of BS.

MyHeartIsYours
10th June 2012, 19:53
Whilst I agree that the public vote is the only way to go, it was through the public vote that we wound up with acts like Jemini, Daz Sampson and Scooch. Albeit, the standard of the candidates wasn’t brilliant to begin with (and thank God we didn’t wind up with blummin’ Katie Price in 2005).

LmxiPg6Xwwo
WHY ARE THEY CHEERING!?
I voted for Katie many times! :D

MyHeartIsYours
10th June 2012, 19:56
I want Scissor Sisters or Hurts anyway!

penguinperson
10th June 2012, 21:54
I voted for Katie many times! :D

And you freely admit it :o :lol:

penguinperson
11th June 2012, 23:28
http://www.escnation.com/mbnews/viewmsg.php?id=2982652

Confirmation pretty much the BBC will field an entry.

Somebody
20th June 2012, 09:52
Sophie Ellis Bextor rejects Eurovision offer? :D
Sophie Ellis Bextor is concerned she might be "humiliated" if she were to represent the UK at the 'Eurovision Song Contest'.

All I can say - Jade Ewen wasn't humiliated! Becase she had great song and great voice. ;)

Sean
20th June 2012, 12:40
Sophie Ellis Bextor rejects Eurovision offer? :D
Sophie Ellis Bextor is concerned she might be "humiliated" if she were to represent the UK at the 'Eurovision Song Contest'.

All I can say - Jade Ewen wasn't humiliated! Becase she had great song and great voice. ;)

Where are you getting that from?

dizzydjc
20th June 2012, 19:09
UK needs to go more alternative next year, stop with the safe entries! It worked for Albania, right?

A-lister
20th June 2012, 19:26
st'. All I can say - Jade Ewen wasn't humiliated! Becase she had great song and great voice. ;)

Jade had a conventional Disney ballad voice and a cheesy song : so of course the juries loved it! :lol:

PoppySnuggleGlass
20th June 2012, 22:14
Jade had a conventional Disney ballad voice and a cheesy song : so of course the juries loved it! :lol:

Exactly!

I wouldn't put it past the BBC to send John Barrowman singing the theme tune to Beauty and the Beast. I'd bet he'd do it too...

As I say every year, rock music plz!

Matt
20th June 2012, 22:15
British Rock would be awesome...

Sean
20th June 2012, 23:01
Indeed. In that respect its a shame the BBC didn't go withThe Darkness in 2012

A-lister
20th June 2012, 23:05
Exactly!

I wouldn't put it past the BBC to send John Barrowman singing the theme tune to Beauty and the Beast. I'd bet he'd do it too...

Wow, a Briton being honest about the cheesy Jade entry! There is hope for mankind even in the UK :lol:

A-lister
20th June 2012, 23:06
Indeed. In that respect its a shame the BBC didn't go withThe Darkness in 2012

Or maybe some GOOD indie rock? The Darkness are a novelty act, you can do SOOOO much better.

Sean
20th June 2012, 23:10
Trust me, there are far superior acts. Foals, Bombay Bicycle Club, Friendly Fires...

Come to think of it, most Two Door Cinema Club songs are around 3 minutesand their new album will be out September 3rd. The plot thickens...

A-lister
20th June 2012, 23:46
Trust me, there are far superior acts. Foals, Bombay Bicycle Club, Friendly Fires...

Come to think of it, most Two Door Cinema Club songs are around 3 minutesand their new album will be out September 3rd. The plot thickens...

Well, Florence+The Machine would be heaven, but will never happen.

Dry the River's album is SOOO good... won't happen either.

Or some cool dubstep? (not the mainstream light versions)... Example? Nero? ... oh won't happen either.

Meh :(

theCONWEL
21st June 2012, 02:11
I think NF-wise, we should go for an Unser Star fur ... style show to select the artist, then a song for Europe :)
Talking about big artists though, my dreams are Amy MacDonald and Paloma Faith, how one can dream... I'm not sure if rock is the way to go for the UK, but I do like Keane, and they're releasing new stuff at the moment.

Sean
21st June 2012, 13:46
Well, Florence+The Machine would be heaven, but will never happen.

Dry the River's album is SOOO good... won't happen either.

Or some cool dubstep? (not the mainstream light versions)... Example? Nero? ... oh won't happen either.

Meh :(

Dry The River would also be good, with a song like Weights & Measures. Have been listening to Guillemots - Walk The River lately, something like that could be decent enough but it'd have to be an emotive song.

If we could get the British equivalent of Foster The People, we'd probably also have a really good chance. The BBC just needs to put in the effort to find a great song.

Sean
21st June 2012, 13:54
Bombay Bicycle Club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDuif301F-8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgvBmEmtF-I

Foals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARu_XbUg8bo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ90LRaEIt0

Friendly Fires

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyA8zfouG4Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofRCldHb7X0

Two Door Cinema Club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXwYJyrKK5A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxu02vp_Vm0

Dry The River

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5g-DeG0MJc

Guillemots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yef2PF2AteU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJNe0AjNXrs

Frankmusik/Vincent Did It

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=769atcL8rpc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVy137BxlGc

Or maybe something really experimental?

Teeth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bb_DEFOhzE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoX1p0Kafo8

Sorry, I got carried away.... :mrgreen:

Sean
21st June 2012, 13:59
And how could I forget Bloc Party?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziDdEAmsNBE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyjV9hDNRvQ

Of course, none of these would ever dream of doing Eurovision, but with a song in the style of any of these artists, and modern, we may be able to stand out for once :mrgreen:

tuorem
21st June 2012, 14:01
I'm not sure if rock is the way to go for the UK, but I do like Keane, and they're releasing new stuff at the moment.

Oh, Keane rocks! They're my favourite band, their current album "Strangeland" is really good! An entry in their style would get my vote but I don't think they would be willing to take part.

Sim
21st June 2012, 14:39
^^ Bloc Party is awesome Sean/D

A-lister
21st June 2012, 16:40
My favorite Dry the River song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qd7WYJEa3o

bashers
22nd June 2012, 10:47
Hmmm some how I don't think these bands would go for ESC!

RainyWoods
22nd June 2012, 17:38
I'd love to see someone like Polly Scattergood..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh0wgws9kTI

Im just tired of us sending cheesy has-beens or complete unknowns, fresh from stage school chosen by some stupid X Factor style selection and then forced to sing some gawd awful tosh. It actually really annoys me how the BBC does Eurovision.

MrJadeEwen
1st July 2012, 05:04

LmxiPg6Xwwo
WHY ARE THEY CHEERING!?

We should just throw freedom of expression out the window and ban novelty/talentless acts from entering, considering the British public are hell bent on voting for the campest, most ridiculous acts available to them. Although, I guess they HAD some standards in 2005.

The stages/semi (not sure how to describe it) worked better in 2009, and saw Jade win the NF. Unfortunately, the song was as bland as British food, but she had a beltin’ voice!

This came 2nd with the Juries and public...... I don't think either know better useless the both of em -.- . Perhaps we should let a different country actually pick our entry xD

Don't worry guys the BBC will come up with a modern talented act that can hold a performance and be note perfect all in one
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110901040350/bakugan/images/b/b0/20110128203738!Trollface.png
X-factor/The Voice rejects anyone?

Fluke
2nd July 2012, 02:10
I think the UK should try sending a modern dance-pop entry, just because it's something they've never tried before....

MrJadeEwen
2nd July 2012, 15:06
UK should try sending a modern

Fail :P BBC dunno the meaning of the word

penguinperson
3rd July 2012, 18:19
This came 2nd with the Juries and public...... I don't think either know better useless the both of em -.- . Perhaps we should let a different country actually pick our entry xD

Don't worry guys the BBC will come up with a modern talented act that can hold a performance and be note perfect all in one
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110901040350/bakugan/images/b/b0/20110128203738!Trollface.png
X-factor/The Voice rejects anyone?

Only these would be acceptable imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMKhjRFBL-s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Y8rYDv1jU&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2BK81YPV9U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wm57rqkHmU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViqCO35OfNU

LalehForWD
3rd July 2012, 18:36
^^ Only the 3 first is judgeable since it's live BMO. ;)

Of these 3 Vince Kidd really stands out (I love Amy Winehouse though)!! xlove
He's a male artist that can sing with passion without being pretentious. :!:

penguinperson
3rd July 2012, 18:53
^^ Only the 3 first is judgeable since it's live BMO. ;)

Of these 3 Vince Kidd really stands out (I love Amy Winehouse though)!! xlove
He's a male artist that can sing with passion without being pretentious. :!:

The other two live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwfNexdaIdU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zap7wRn07U

Also Max the first won is the son of Sally Ann Triplett lead vocalist of Prima Donna UK 1980 and the female of Bardo UK 1982.

Vince is very instant the other two from the Voice would be an equally a safe pair of hands for a good result (with a good song of course) as they won't **** up like Blue, Eng or Josh

I'd fear the BBC actually picks the winner, she has a Voice but is boring imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gClh69oPmUE&feature=relmfu

or the one the BBC pushed but didn't get to the final

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axvCQt4PetU

Divas just don't seem popular with televoters at the moment and can't see that changing.

LalehForWD
3rd July 2012, 19:35
Aiden Grimshaw - feels unsecure and untrained (very young, 17-18 here?), uneasy with keys.
Rebecca Ferguson - weak voice, Ok but I don't get what's special.
Leanne Mitchell - I like her, :) great voice as you said, but somewhat uneasy with keys OR somewhat inexperienced in blues/soul singing which is more or less mandatory - i.e. improvise when singing live isn't a sure thing. Needs a gig season as singer in a rock band! :D

[IMG_ * insert facepalm *_/IMG]
Ruth Brown

No, Vince Kidd FTW!!! xcheerxcheer

BTW strange that public service (BBC) is running this show. :?:

Mickey
3rd July 2012, 21:20
Only really watched The Voice as an exercise in scouting Eurovision talent. I found Vince Kidd far too strange and tricksy for my taste. Max was my favourite, mainly for his blind audition mash up of The Beatles and Eminem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzYE6P5NxSw

MyHeartIsYours
4th July 2012, 02:01
Aiden Grimshaw would be awesome but he wouldnt do Eurovision, I dont think it's 'his style' and I think he'd reckon that it'd scupper his career which is looking more promising that just the general X Factor contestant.
Tyler James would be beyond awesome for me!

LalehForWD
4th July 2012, 17:42
Only really watched The Voice as an exercise in scouting Eurovision talent. I found Vince Kidd far too strange and tricksy for my taste. Max was my favourite, mainly for his blind audition mash up of The Beatles and Eminem.

[video_snip

Haha, what is so strange and tricksy about him? The attitude? :lol::mrgreen:

Anyway, it's hard to say anything useful unless you watched the programs. I guess it's like watching Eurovision on YouTube. Just moments taken out of context. If you disregard the look as an unwashed James Dean/Billy Idol copy and forget about those silly singing-trix and manners (I hate it), Vince Kidd is THE artist among these. The strong voice and his use of falsetto intermingling is interesting and most important, he is hitting the tones clean without hesitation.

Worth noting is also that he joined this BBC show and the step to join the Eurovision isn't that big. Just bring him a stylist first! :D I mean, bad manners is only OK after you became famous, not before. :? :mrgreen::lol:

I like him! Checked some more. He has a Soundcloud account with some tunes, for example:
Vince Kidd - Taboo (http://soundcloud.com/vince-kidd/taboo)

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/voice-vince-kidd-590x350.jpg

LalehForWD
4th July 2012, 18:01
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/579062_300009326749074_1627637200_n.jpg
War Of Words - 2 synthpop girls, lookup their facebook (https://www.facebook.com/wearewarofwords) and interview (http://i-donline.com/2012/03/i-n-conversation-war-of-words/).

Soundcloud: War Of Words - Battleground (http://soundcloud.com/wearewarofwords/battleground)

penguinperson
4th July 2012, 18:41
I think Vince damaged his chances with this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcoaUq6gCg It just didn't work.

The Voice is half BBC half private production. I suppose if the other acts are possibilities so is the 4th finalist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KojCsIS3m9I

He was good but Will.I.Am gave him some very strange things to sing at times.

As I said if it's a Voice act and I think it's a possibility if the public get a say again, as long as it's not the Divas or Jaz I'd be OK with it if the song was good.

LalehForWD
4th July 2012, 18:57
I think Vince damaged his chances with this [video_snip It just didn't work.

The Voice is half BBC half private production. I suppose if the other acts are possibilities so is the 4th finalist

[video_snip

He was good but Will.I.Am gave him some very strange things to sing at times.

As I said if it's a Voice act and I think it's a possibility if the public get a say again, as long as it's not the Divas or Jaz I'd be OK with it if the song was good.

It worked!!! I like him even more! xbouncexbouncexupxup:D

penguinperson
4th July 2012, 19:05

Looking back at it it's not that bad. On the night it felt very weird. I can see him doing ESC as well seeing as he's tried XFactor and The Voice.

LalehForWD
4th July 2012, 19:29
Looking back at it it's not that bad. On the night it felt very weird. I can see him doing ESC as well seeing as he's tried XFactor and The Voice.

Tell him to contact Christer Björkman for participation in Melodifestivalen 2013 ASAP. Vince Kidd with a Taboo-song and a little Skrillex touch will win super-easy! :mrgreen:

edit:
Reading about him in tabloids gives he got support from Amy Winehouse. He tried X Factor 2007 as Matthew Protheroe (real name) in the band Futureproof.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00383/SNN0523D_682_383740a.jpg

penguinperson
10th July 2012, 10:57
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Y8rYDv1jU&feature=relmfu

Well she's ft on a song already
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTDfM0Eqhgg and all 4 finalists have signed to labels now. Most will have new material coming out in the september-march window.

penguinperson
10th July 2012, 11:00

He says he will release two singles this year and an album in January :)

NikkiBoy
10th July 2012, 16:26
Jade Ewan again - Hear "My man" with her.. <3

Archer
15th July 2012, 21:01
What about Ellie Goulding ?

penguinperson
16th July 2012, 09:47
She wouldn't do it, her voice is too weak as well imo. Just like Pixie Lott who they nearly signed this year. I'd hope they get an act that can easily sing the song unlike the last three years of Engelbert, dire backing vocalists and Lee going off the boil.

penguinperson
19th July 2012, 20:45
I'd love a song like this from any country to be honest :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFrf_0VRObc

A-lister
22nd July 2012, 04:26
She wouldn't do it, her voice is too weak as well imo. Just like Pixie Lott who they nearly signed this year. I'd hope they get an act that can easily sing the song unlike the last three years of Engelbert, dire backing vocalists and Lee going off the boil.

Don't compare the fab Ellie with the useless Pixie. Ellie released one of the best albums of the past years, Pixie is a nonsense artist which will be long gone... well she sort of is already.

Stargazer
22nd July 2012, 05:02
My artist of choice to represent the UK, would definitely be Blackmore's Night, with the awesome Ritchie Blackmore and the lovely Candice Night!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvJwEu9ghvM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFiYTeLxVHo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArOS_WsT1tw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeNLBPUrzGQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeNLBPUrzGQ

CPV4931
23rd July 2012, 00:54
Blackmore´s Night would indeed be a good choice.
My favorite song of them is "Loreley"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWhlbZ9gfCc

Stargazer
23rd July 2012, 01:20
Yeah, I LOVE Loreley! I love all their songs actually. :D

penguinperson
23rd July 2012, 17:20
Can the BBC just enter a good song to shut Philip Schofield up. One of the most pathetic excuses of a human being.

BBC bosses spent £310,000 of licence payers¿ money entering Eurovision this year ¿ only to see the British entry flop again | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2177553/BBC-bosses-spent-310-000-licence-payers-money-entering-Eurovision-year--British-entry-flop-again.html)

Stargazer
23rd July 2012, 18:21
Exactly, a fantastic song is all it takes. I definitely believe the UK can take it home again, or at least reach the top 5, but you can't do it without a spectacular entry. Engelbert's song was sweet, but that's all it was. It didn't matter that he was a big name, his song was forgettable and that was his downfall.

penguinperson
23rd July 2012, 18:41
I still think they should look at the Sound of 20** competition and enter one of those acts for the exposure. So it's possible to end up with something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnexkG4RrtA&feature=relmfu opposed to what the BBC usually send (even if I don't like it, I'd prefer something like this). As Sophie Ellis Bextor said the other day she hasn't got any problem with eurovision but Wogan has tainted it for any artist these days. The BBC are reaping what they've been sowing for years. As I've said before nothing short of a win will change perceptions, and then a lot of repair will still be needed.

A-lister
23rd July 2012, 19:13
^
Niki & The Dove is a Swedish act, I'd love them to take part in MF though :)

LalehForWD
23rd July 2012, 19:18
Exactly what I was going to post as well. :D
The Drummer is a better choice though.

penguinperson
23rd July 2012, 19:19
You know what I mean though :lol: So lets use this act who was born in Bristol as a better example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcXpUP-IxCo

LalehForWD
23rd July 2012, 19:22
Can the BBC just enter a good song to shut Philip Schofield up. One of the most pathetic excuses of a human being.

BBC bosses spent £310,000 of licence payers¿ money entering Eurovision this year ¿ only to see the British entry flop again | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2177553/BBC-bosses-spent-310-000-licence-payers-money-entering-Eurovision-year--British-entry-flop-again.html)

Using Loreen to rub it in once again. xrofl
xhug:mrgreen:

LalehForWD
23rd July 2012, 19:23
You know what I mean though :lol: So lets use this act who was born in Bristol as a better example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcXpUP-IxCo

You have a name like you want to see?

edit:
OK, I get it. You would like to see participants from BBC Sound of 2*** in the ESC selection.
Good idea! :)

penguinperson
23rd July 2012, 19:52
You have a name like you want to see?

)

I prefer non chart acts so the likelihood of them are non-existent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbiVnhqQJcY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZLv36LvRo8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpDjO3NQxdY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gh7a-SgPHQ

I suppose Katie Melua and Hurts are the closest to what I like with the endless rumor mills.

That's why I think a Voice Act would be better and give them several songs from writers.

Sean
23rd July 2012, 19:59
I prefer non chart acts so the likelihood of them are non-existent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbiVnhqQJcY&feature=related

This is good. Realistically if we're ever going to be noticed or do well in this contest I think we need to be more daring and less 'safe' with our choices - this'd be perfect for that :)

LalehForWD
23rd July 2012, 20:24
Agree, The Ghosts was the best of these. :)

A-lister
23rd July 2012, 21:04
That's why I think a Voice Act would be better and give them several songs from writers.

If you like the stuff you posted in here, I think a "The Voice" act would be the last thing to ask for, because it would most probably end up with a cheesy Disney ballad like in 2009.

penguinperson
23rd July 2012, 21:36
If you like the stuff you posted in here, I think a "The Voice" act would be the last thing to ask for, because it would most probably end up with a cheesy Disney ballad like in 2009.

It depends which ones they asked in all fairness. Some would flat out refuse to sing anything Disney like or simple. It's just you can't trust the BBC to ask a broader spectrum of writers that won't pander to making a song the lowest common denominator. What ever happens and broadcaster really needs to find the song then the matching artist.

LalehForWD
23rd July 2012, 22:28
Just an idea I got. Now, before you scream and run away, listen and imagine Oliver Jones (aka Skream) writing a "Eurovision song" and adapt this genre for the Eurovision scene. He needs a vocalist singing live for one thing. Here true magic can happen. :)

Will he find it exciting? Yes, certainly so.
Does he have the guts to do it, despite all commotion he will stir up?

Skream ft Sam Frank - Where You Should Be (http://open.spotify.com/track/1bSOYANy2Ic4zGjJtzwVQK)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVNpsg7rYS0

A-lister
24th July 2012, 00:31
It depends which ones they asked in all fairness. Some would flat out refuse to sing anything Disney like or simple. It's just you can't trust the BBC to ask a broader spectrum of writers that won't pander to making a song the lowest common denominator. What ever happens and broadcaster really needs to find the song then the matching artist.

Doubt it, the ones entering The Voice are mostly "attention hungry non-artistic just dying to get some material" type of people, it's not like they would turn down this if it would be their only chance to a career. We don't talk about established acts with artistic integrity here who are in the position to pick and choose.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, The Voice is very focused on those wailers so therefor I'm afraid it would be some tacky ballad.

penguinperson
24th July 2012, 09:50
Doubt it, the ones entering The Voice are mostly "attention hungry non-artistic just dying to get some material" type of people, it's not like they would turn down this if it would be their only chance to a career. We don't talk about established acts with artistic integrity here who are in the position to pick and choose.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, The Voice is very focused on those wailers so therefor I'm afraid it would be some tacky ballad.

The three that would be appropriate were all ready signed to Universal who gave the winner a record. For those three it was about gaining exposure. Two had self made albums that went to top of Itunes for appearing. The three that I linked first are not ballad wailers ( the winner was and I couldn't stand it as she was boring). I know a ballad wailer would be totally wrong but it would be the one BBC picked as they would be easier to get a song for than the others.

A-lister
24th July 2012, 15:37
The three that would be appropriate were all ready signed to Universal who gave the winner a record. For those three it was about gaining exposure. Two had self made albums that went to top of Itunes for appearing. The three that I linked first are not ballad wailers ( the winner was and I couldn't stand it as she was boring). I know a ballad wailer would be totally wrong but it would be the one BBC picked as they would be easier to get a song for than the others.

Wait, those you posted were The Voice participants???

But that's the problem, it would end up with a Disney ballad so therefor that idea would probably not been used in a satisfactory way by BBC.

Mickey
24th July 2012, 20:10
Wait, those you posted were The Voice participants???

But that's the problem, it would end up with a Disney ballad so therefor that idea would probably not been used in a satisfactory way by BBC.

I'm guessing you're thinking of the more recent videos posted. Penguinperson posted some The Voice clips a couple of pages back.

If they give Tyler James, Max, Bo, or maybe Vince Kidd Disney ballads it would be a disaster. They're just not that type of singer. The girl who won, the one who was so dull I can't remember her name, she could do it.

A-lister
24th July 2012, 20:46
I'm guessing you're thinking of the more recent videos posted. Penguinperson posted some The Voice clips a couple of pages back.

I see, yeah I figured those recently posted just couldn't be The Voice participants.

penguinperson
25th July 2012, 10:49
I see, yeah I figured those recently posted just couldn't be The Voice participants.

Yeah the lot I posted before. The 4 that Mickey mentions have not got Disney Ballad voices or even sung a typical ballad in the entire show. They could make most songs distinct enough for them, but the issue would be the BBC sourcing the correct songwriters if they didn't want them to pen their own stuff which those 4 have done.

If it's the likes of the winner (Leanne) Ruth, Jaz or the bald woman it would be huge **** up and I can assure something no UK fans would want.

ItalianEurofan
26th July 2012, 00:20
And what about Rachel Stevens and Michelle McManus?
Eurovision should be a good place for re-launching their careers (even the first one can't sing live).

Parade, Sunday Girl or Natalia Kills might be good acts too. :)

CC92
26th July 2012, 13:12
I've heard Adele is pregnant. :/
As for the rest, I am not keen on has-beens and idol-wannabes. BBC also could send someone professional/established without a huge name. Also it is big time for a non-English entry from the UK.

penguinperson
26th July 2012, 14:30
Eurovision should be a good place for re-launching their careers (even the first one can't sing live).

Michelle is a presenter it Scotland so won't have the time. Rachel seems to be focused on a shoe line she's created for kids.

MrJadeEwen
14th August 2012, 10:13

Parade cannot sing live, they were a support act when I went to a concert and trashed all their songs with screechy vocals xD

After the closing ceremony, one british artist appears to have more class than the rest and is able to stay in tune the whole way...

Emeli Sandé

Sim
14th August 2012, 11:30
Emeli Sandé, her songs are beautiful <3

Charly
15th August 2012, 12:41
Emelie Sande sucks -_-

penguinperson
15th August 2012, 21:31
She's in fear of becoming overexposed.

Kryptonite
17th August 2012, 20:59
I love Emeli Sandé, but it's just unrealistic to expect that she would like to participate (as a singer) in ESC 2013. She's currently one of the most popular UK singers (her album and her singles are doing great) and ESC could ruin it if she failed..

However, I think that she would be prepared to write a song for someone else. If I'm not mistaken, she's currently writing new songs for the original Sugababes. Well, honestly, I'm not too thrilled about them, so I would rather see her writing a song for someone else. If it comes to that - it would be great if she wrote a song for some young, talented singer. :D

DannyDS
17th August 2012, 21:03
Send Katie Price :lol:

Kryptonite
17th August 2012, 21:09

Oh, God... xsos

But it's BBC, so everything's possible. :lol:

A-lister
17th August 2012, 22:18
Emelie Sande sucks -_-

NONO

Either you haven't heard her album or you just... I dunno

DannyDS
17th August 2012, 22:21
Emelie Sande sucks -_-

And Nicki Minaj is the best singer ever right? xsos

MrJadeEwen
19th August 2012, 05:21

She already tried entering in 2005, Javine beat her in the NF though xD so she won't try again

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj86hf_katie-price-not-just-anybody_music?search_algo=1

Mickey
19th August 2012, 13:26
She already tried entering in 2005, Javine beat her in the NF though xD so she won't try again

I love Javine.

FrachellyJelly
29th August 2012, 22:53
Maybe Rita Ora is finally ready?????

MrJadeEwen
30th August 2012, 02:41
Well she left YCNY in 2009 and that was before she was even known. I don't see her doing it now especially on the back of 3 #1 singles and a #1 Album come Saturday. Love to see it especially with a song like R.I.P. but I think the chances of her doing it are long gone now. :\

Sean
30th August 2012, 16:36
Wow, I didn't realise she was in the 2009 NF :lol: You learn something new everyday...

Narmina
2nd September 2012, 21:54
My dream is to see Hurts from UK....

Mickey
2nd September 2012, 22:50

Theo tweeted the other day that they are starting work on their second album, so they should at least have a song ready if they're asked again.

Milos-BC
5th September 2012, 20:03

I agree :D I also want Hurts....

It would also be awesome to see someone like Lily Allen too, but I guess the chances are microscopic sadly....

FrachellyJelly
5th September 2012, 23:10
Well she left YCNY in 2009 and that was before she was even known. I don't see her doing it now especially on the back of 3 #1 singles and a #1 Album come Saturday. Love to see it especially with a song like R.I.P. but I think the chances of her doing it are long gone now. :\

it's a shame really!

I think Dappy would be hilarious though, just sayin'

Impressive
6th September 2012, 00:18
Does The Pierces live in United Kingdom or United States? Wiki did not help me.

LakZaNokte
6th September 2012, 13:05
I agree :D I also want Hurts....

+1 xbow

but actually, i'm not that worried. one day, when uk decides it's time to have a great esc result (or maybe win), they will send some1 good :mrgreen:

Milos-BC
6th September 2012, 15:46
^^ Exactly :D

My dream is to see Hurts, Lily Allen, Coldplay........but all of them are quite unrealistic at this point I guess. However, one must hope, and who knows, maybe it comes true in the nearest future :D

penguinperson
6th September 2012, 23:08
^^ Exactly :D

My dream is to see Hurts, Lily Allen, Coldplay........but all of them are quite unrealistic at this point I guess. However, one must hope, and who knows, maybe it comes true in the nearest future :D

At least they've asked Hurts but in a dreadful manner

Hurts say they were asked to write UK's Eurovision song contest entry | News | NME.COM (http://www.nme.com/news/hurts/63850)

Now they'll never get them :(

FrachellyJelly
7th September 2012, 16:49
what's with all this Hurts thing? They're awful, they have like one song that I can actually name of theirs off the top of my head... and that's insanely boring. Is it just because apparently they said they would do it?

My dream as a 90's kid is Take That. In theory that have so much credibility in Britain which would be impossible to lose, I mean Mark Owen having an affair didn't even touch his position as a heart throb in the band... just have to offer Gary a LOT of money I would guess and lure him away from ITV. And they are current, regularly top the charts and sell out stadiums... none of this Blue rubbish - a CREDIBLE boyband (well, man band now).

Milos-BC
7th September 2012, 17:55

Hurts say they were asked to write UK's Eurovision song contest entry | News | NME.COM (http://www.nme.com/news/hurts/63850)

Too bad that this is already a second time they are missing on ESC. Have they declined to do it, or the BBC just decided to take Humperdinck instead? It is not stated in this article....

If Hurts are interested to do it, and if the BBC wants a good result, things will easily collide, but yeah........sometimes it is easier said than done.

what's with all this Hurts thing? They're awful, they have like one song that I can actually name of theirs off the top of my head... and that's insanely boring. Is it just because apparently they said they would do it?

My dream as a 90's kid is Take That. In theory that have so much credibility in Britain which would be impossible to lose, I mean Mark Owen having an affair didn't even touch his position as a heart throb in the band... just have to offer Gary a LOT of money I would guess and lure him away from ITV. And they are current, regularly top the charts and sell out stadiums... none of this Blue rubbish - a CREDIBLE boyband (well, man band now).

I totally disagree. Also it is not fair to judge someone who is relatively new on the music scene and compare them with someone who has an established career behind him.

Yeah "Wonderful Life" is so insanely boring that it became a worldwide hit....."Stay" too....

With Take That, you are almost guaranteed to have another failure.

Blue were also a credible boy band, no matter what you think....

Sean
7th September 2012, 21:16

As I said when this story first came out, that e-mail seems too unprofessional to have come from someone working at the BBC, especially an executive producer. It looks faked, and I'm still of the opinion it was made up by Theo or HURTS to try and get the attention of the BBC for this year. We'll see...

Mickey
7th September 2012, 21:51
What convinces me Hurts might do it is their comparative low profile in their home country. They have something to gain from Eurovision. Their popularity abroad could get them a very good result in ESC which would make them better known at home. Other British artists either are popular everywhere and have nothing to gain, or don't have a European fanbase, making a good result less likely and so have a lot to lose.

I'm not worried about them turning down the BBC last year. They didn't have a song.

Mickey
7th September 2012, 21:53
As I said when this story first came out, that e-mail seems too unprofessional to have come from someone working at the BBC, especially an executive producer. It looks faked, and I'm still of the opinion it was made up by Theo or HURTS to try and get the attention of the BBC for this year. We'll see...

What exactly is it about the BBC Eurovision team that screams professionalism to you?

penguinperson
7th September 2012, 22:39
What exactly is it about the BBC Eurovision team that screams professionalism to you?

This, they even asked Engelbert's old manager opposed to his current manager originally.

And @ Milos-BC they said they'd do it if approached seriously, they said if not they may well try to write instead for Germany.

Milos-BC
9th September 2012, 23:14
^^ I see.

Well, everything depends on the BBC. If they want to moan about Europe being racist for not voting for black people in 2008 (instead of just admitting that Andy had a very bad song, and that it was no surprise that he ended last) or hating the UK in 2010 (again the ultimately bad combination imo: bad singer + extremely weak song) and 2012, they can send a parrot singing in a cage claiming that this is exactly what Europe wants to hear, and then, after a failure, come out with saying that Europe shows disrespect towards British animals..........

or they can just pick one of the current top artists who are popular over the globe and who are ready for ESC and win the whole thing. BBC has the capacity, as well as the whole music industry of the United Kingdom to end in top 3 each and every year. But they don't use 30% of that capacity. Not to speak of some bigger number........

Instead of doing the right thing, they always tend to make some excuses and blame everyone else for their own failures. It is always "nasty Europe", alliens, the Pope, etc..........instead of themselves.

BBC is strictly responsible for all your failures in the ESC. Nobody else. Just like they are responsible for the 2009 success with Jade Ewen, and that year has actually shown how everything can be different when things are taken seriously. But when prejudices are made, and when "nasty Europe" is responsible in advance, then.....it is no wonder the outcome is totally different.

Stuff
10th September 2012, 17:30
Susan Boyle......

Jim
10th September 2012, 21:25
Yes, maybe Susan Boyle will be the new Chiara... it's a good choice!

Mickey
10th September 2012, 21:39
I'd rather have Scooch back than select SuBo. The thought makes me shudder.

FrachellyJelly
10th September 2012, 23:42
I totally disagree. Also it is not fair to judge someone who is relatively new on the music scene and compare them with someone who has an established career behind him.

Yeah "Wonderful Life" is so insanely boring that it became a worldwide hit....."Stay" too....

With Take That, you are almost guaranteed to have another failure.

Blue were also a credible boy band, no matter what you think....

I didn't compare Hurts with Take That, I just said I wasn't a fan of hurts. And I haven't heard of either of them songs... only song I have ever heard of Hurts on the radio is illumination and I mean, I like Enya and I found it boring....
Take That are huge, you can't even try and compare them with Blue, when did Blue ever sell out a stadium tour in the UK? How is a band that sells out a stadium tour in about an hour going to be a guaranteed failure?

Could never compare a song like The Flood to "one love" or whatever. Or maybe Take That are just a little too mature and actually decent for Europe these days...

Mickey
11th September 2012, 00:43
I didn't compare Hurts with Take That, I just said I wasn't a fan of hurts. And I haven't heard of either of them songs... only song I have ever heard of Hurts on the radio is illumination and I mean, I like Enya and I found it boring....

Yeah, that song is boring. Surprised you've heard that on the radio and not their other much bigger hits.

Milos-BC
11th September 2012, 15:58
Take That are huge, you can't even try and compare them with Blue, when did Blue ever sell out a stadium tour in the UK? How is a band that sells out a stadium tour in about an hour going to be a guaranteed failure?

Could never compare a song like The Flood to "one love" or whatever. Or maybe Take That are just a little too mature and actually decent for Europe these days...

As Mickey said above, you heard a song that didn't become a worldwide hit, and one of their, imo, weaker songs. "Wonderful Life" and "Stay" are for example top-class songs and anything similar would have a winning potential, I am quite certain.

Take That aren't that known outside of the UK, actually, not in the same way as Blue. I know that they are a huge name in the UK, but outside......they don't stand up to Blue. Blue had a very good song, but they ruined it with both the stage presentation and the vocal performance. If at least one of these two were better, not to say both - you would've had another top 10 result in your pocket, but being 11th is also not a bad result at all. And this is only when things are taken just a bit more seriously. This is the potential I am talking about. Whenever it is used in a bigger proportion you are doing well, but when excuses are made in advance to cover the bad selection, then obviously, it can't be any good.

It is possible that Take That would do good if they would have a really good song, but to me it screams "failure" all over them. It is my personal intuition.

MrJadeEwen
12th September 2012, 10:31
^^ I see.

Well, everything depends on the BBC. If they want to moan about Europe being racist for not voting for black people in 2008 (instead of just admitting that Andy had a very bad song, and that it was no surprise that he ended last) or hating the UK in 2010 (again the ultimately bad combination imo: bad singer + extremely weak song) and 2012, they can send a parrot singing in a cage claiming that this is exactly what Europe wants to hear, and then, after a failure, come out with saying that Europe shows disrespect towards British animals..........

in 2008 it was terry wogan not the BBC talking about the racism :P just to clear that up
in 2010 even the BBC knew we were destined for last, they knew full well our song was shocking and hence didn't bother to promote or even form a documentary like we've had for the last few years.
in 2012 the difference was the BBC were quite sure that europe wanted to hear him, I understand why they did it, they took a risk. Especially when the band they had originally hired (The Wanted) had dumped them and then they dumped Pixie Lott. They just needed some singer, and went with someone to drag in a lot of viewers with a potential to win.

Sean
12th September 2012, 12:30
They managed to get The Wanted? :lol: Guess it could've been worse then...

Milos-BC
14th September 2012, 23:30
in 2008 it was terry wogan not the BBC talking about the racism :P just to clear that up
in 2010 even the BBC knew we were destined for last, they knew full well our song was shocking and hence didn't bother to promote or even form a documentary like we've had for the last few years.
in 2012 the difference was the BBC were quite sure that europe wanted to hear him, I understand why they did it, they took a risk. Especially when the band they had originally hired (The Wanted) had dumped them and then they dumped Pixie Lott. They just needed some singer, and went with someone to drag in a lot of viewers with a potential to win.

I didn't know that The Wanted were also in the game. However, that would've been a worse choice than Engelbert actually.

Also, did they dump Pixie Lott or did she dumped them?

She would've been the best choice in all these combinations mentioned here (not our proposals, but people that were actually in negotiations).

penguinperson
15th September 2012, 10:15
I didn't know that The Wanted were also in the game. However, that would've been a worse choice than Engelbert actually.

Also, did they dump Pixie Lott or did she dumped them?

She would've been the best choice in all these combinations mentioned here (not our proposals, but people that were actually in negotiations).

Katie Taylor Head of Entertainment refused her apparently, just before she signed. To be honest she'd be a dreadful choice as her singing is incredibly weak at times, especially if she had to move.

Yoni
15th September 2012, 10:38
Boo for Katie, I love Pixie, plus I'm sure she would've brought a much better position for the UK :lol:

penguinperson
15th September 2012, 10:41
Boo for Katie, I love Pixie, plus I'm sure she would've brought a much better position for the UK :lol:

The televote may have been more forgiven, the jury less likely.

Milos-BC
15th September 2012, 17:12
Katie Taylor Head of Entertainment refused her apparently, just before she signed. To be honest she'd be a dreadful choice as her singing is incredibly weak at times, especially if she had to move.

OK, thanks for the info.

Tbh, I never heard her singing live, but something like "Mama Do" would be excellent for ESC.

Mickey
15th September 2012, 19:30
Where have these rumours come from?

penguinperson
16th September 2012, 11:36
Where have these rumours come from?

I believe from ESCkaz, AKOE and another one. They pretty much all got the same story from their source at auntie. All say the team have the correct approach but Katie Taylor wants more sensationalism like X Factor to get ratings.

MrJadeEwen
16th September 2012, 15:49
On the Rita Ora note in case anyone forgot or hasn't seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgQ8HPD4L9Q&feature=relmfu

penguinperson
19th September 2012, 14:52
:( The Hump has been taken down from facebook, gone back to generic or 2013

dragvision
19th September 2012, 18:38
why the english dont have chose her in the 2009?

CC92
19th September 2012, 18:46

The song would of stayed the same (My time) so choosing Jade was not a big loss IMHO.

MrJadeEwen
19th September 2012, 19:21
:( The Hump has been taken down from facebook, gone back to generic or 2013

Only because the same IT person does Eurovision & Strictly :P we won't be hearing anything for a long while yet

penguinperson
19th September 2012, 20:03
Only because the same IT person does Eurovision & Strictly :P we won't be hearing anything for a long while yet

Yup, Helen is far better at Strictly as well.

Mickey
19th September 2012, 20:20

As shown in the video, she was invited to the next stage of the process, but said "no".

Also, it's "British" not "English".

penguinperson
20th September 2012, 18:04
Oh god the new Director of the BBC wants Cowell to come over to the BBC. This is on the back of Cowell saying in May he expects the BBC to ask him take over Eurovision for the UK :oops:

Mickey
20th September 2012, 20:47
Oh god the new Director of the BBC wants Cowell to come over to the BBC. This is on the back of Cowell saying in May he expects the BBC to ask him take over Eurovision for the UK :oops:

BBC boss (http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/bbc-boss-open-to-working-with-cowell-567640.html)

This is the only source I can find for that. It's hardly a commitment to a Cowell takeover. The only commitment is to not ruling anything in particular out. He's "completely open-minded" to everything. I suspect if you asked him whether he was thinking of hiring Kerry Katona to read the news you'd have got the same answer.

penguinperson
20th September 2012, 21:07
BBC boss (http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/bbc-boss-open-to-working-with-cowell-567640.html)

This is the only source I can find for that. It's hardly a commitment to a Cowell takeover. The only commitment is to not ruling anything in particular out. He's "completely open-minded" to everything. I suspect if you asked him whether he was thinking of hiring Kerry Katona to read the news you'd have got the same answer.

The full context comes from the statement he made last week. They want a new shiny floor entertainment show to take over from Strictly. The BBC would never have entertained Cowell under Mark Thompson hence why they pursued getting the Voice as he was on the way out. So the new open minded comments are attracted from this. The thing is if they did get Cowell and he was paired with the Strictly team that is the very same team that is also the Eurovision team. Though X Factor isn't dead nor is BGT both are down in the ratings considerably. Red and Black was a flop. Advertisers won't be willing to spend money on a man whose midas touch is fading. With the BBC there are no advertisers to please and offering a chance for Cowell to try something new perhaps. From a broadcasting viewpoint the development is interesting. The interest comes in with ESC fans with Cowell saying he is fully expecting the BBC to ask him to take over ESC in the next few years. All we can do is speculate and the possibility of a Cowell UK entry has increased.

MrJadeEwen
21st September 2012, 06:27
I don't know whether going down the idol/x-factor route would lead to much. I mean we've tried it with YCNY, it all depends of the song tbh. Then again if Cowell was signing his name up, the song would be heavily promoted on both radio and TV otherwise he wouldn't bother doing it. He would be good for the contest and give it a good turn around. I know some people don't like him, but he can change peoples attitudes very well, X-Factor wouldn't have done nearly as well without him.

Charly
21st September 2012, 19:35
Oooooh Yess! I want Simon Cowell to take rains xD

Mickey
21st September 2012, 20:47
If Cowell's Midas touch is failing why would BBC want him now? Can't see it myself. Someone with such a downmarket, publicity-seeking, rampantly commercialist approach to television-making seems a really bad fit for the BBC.

penguinperson
21st September 2012, 21:18
If Cowell's Midas touch is failing why would BBC want him now? Can't see it myself. Someone with such a downmarket, publicity-seeking, rampantly commercialist approach to television-making seems a really bad fit for the BBC.

As one of the BBC mission statements is to entertain it does fit :) BBC entertainment have not come up with a successful new format since SCD launched. So even if Cowell is not as a guaranteed hit maker anymore, his misses are still often stronger than original BBC entertainment shows.

Mickey
21st September 2012, 22:37
As one of the BBC mission statements is to entertain it does fit :) BBC entertainment have not come up with a successful new format since SCD launched. So even if Cowell is not as a guaranteed hit maker anymore, his misses are still often stronger than original BBC entertainment shows.

You could show anything on the BBC under that argument. Porn is entertaining. I'm not sure how keen they would be to create a ten-week advert for Cowell's latest act, whilst stirring up fake tabloid controversy in as cynical a way as possible. He doesn't seem to be the BBC's style.

Getting back to ESC, it would sadden me to see Cowell turn our selection into a tacky manipulative reality show.