PDA

View Full Version : CZECH REPUBLIC 2013 - not taking part

escYOUnited
27th April 2012, 03:49
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/graphics/flags/large/ez-lgflag.gif

NikkiBoy
27th April 2012, 17:28
Come on ::cz make a return!

GRE
27th April 2012, 23:52
Dont think so..

Sean
28th April 2012, 11:48
Fingers crossed, weren't they considering it last year?

Jim
28th April 2012, 20:55
I think that Czech Republic will come back next year. I believe that they don't participate this year because last year Germany, a neighbor and strong country hosted the contest and they didn't participate. That's the reason I think.

GRE
28th April 2012, 21:09
I think that Czech Republic will come back next year. I believe that they don't participate this year because last year Germany, a neighbor and strong country hosted the contest and they didn't participate. That's the reason I think.
I didnt get it..Could you explain it plz?

Jim
28th April 2012, 21:21
What do you want to explain? They didn't participate last year in GERMANY that is one of the biggest and strongest countries in the world and also they are neighbors and will they participate in Azerbaijan? That's my belief of course!

NikkiBoy
28th April 2012, 22:17
Someting like in 2008 :D

nofuxCZ
28th April 2012, 23:44
I doubt that you will see us participating in 2013. It would be huge surprise.
The fact is that ESC is still ignored by the Czech broadcaster, public, media and artists as well.
I only found like 5 articles about this year's ESC. The first one was about Buranovskiye Babushki and the rest were either about Slovak participant or about reporting some controversies connected to Azerbaijan as a host country.

Sean
28th April 2012, 23:51
I doubt that you will see us participating in 2013. It would be huge surprise.
The fact is that ESC is still ignored by the Czech broadcaster, public, media and artists as well.
I only found like 5 articles about this year's ESC. The first one was about Buranovskiye Babushki and the rest were either about Slovak participant or about reporting some controversies connected to Azerbaijan as a host country.

That's more than there normally is in the UK :lol:

If there's even a little media interest in Eurovision then who knows? Until then I guess we basically have a Czechoslovakian entry in ESC :p

Sabiondo
2nd May 2012, 04:36
If the ::cz come back (Thing that i dobut) - im still hope that with Verona group :)

NikkiBoy
3rd May 2012, 16:44
::cz Czech Republic had bad songs if we look back, okay i like it in 2008, but now show us that ::cz CZECH REPUBLIC ARE BACK!

daniels1000
5th May 2012, 10:23
If ::cz come back think that they will have bad song again :(

nofuxCZ
6th May 2012, 00:02
If ::cz come back think that they will have bad song again :(

Yeah, because good bands/singers don't want to take part in this :) If we look at Czech national finals in 2007 and 2008, none of the participants were big names in our music (except for Kabát and Čechomor). Most of the singers are unsuccessful former Idol contestants. The more famous and respected names who were approached by our broadcaster refused this offer of taking part in our NF.

Besides, ::cz mainstream music really sucks, all Czechs are aware of this :D Czech radios and major record labels are the ones to blame - they don't support newcomers so it's mostly all the same crappy singers who sing for decades here, not many new faces. There are so many petitions and protest-songs by some artists against this "czech radio mafia".
That's why so many independent labels were founded in recent years and the situation gets better a little bit.

And some genres are almost extinct in CZ music. There were some attempts at doing czech rnb, it ended with failure. And you would have a hard time finding some "pure pop" music here, not even talking about pop ballads.
Rock/harder forms of rock music, rap/hip-hop and folk-rock singer-songwriters are the most popular here. E.g. latest album of Tomáš Klus, released last year, has been at #1 for 23 weeks (It's still number one this week)

Sad thing is that ESC is still ignored and image of Eurovision is really bad (And that's not only because of our bad placings. Some people in this forum called us 'sore losers'. I don't think we can be sore losers if most people don't really care. And those who cared were really embarrassed after our 2008 and 2009 participations and they even called for withdrawal, 'to stop this embarrassment in front of the whole world'). It seems like it will never change.

NikkiBoy
6th May 2012, 10:32
::cz is an Eurovision countries! :0 Come back!

nofuxCZ
28th May 2012, 14:59
I wrote an e-mail to ČT if they changed their view on ESC and if there is real possibility of our participation in 2013.
They replied very quickly:

"Dear Mr. XXX
thank you for your interest in Czech Television.
However, we are sorry to disappoint you, because we don't plan to return nor buy broadcasting rights to Eurovision Song Contest in the near future.
Best regards,

Alexander Macek
ČESKÁ TELEVIZE
Divácké centrum"

Sim
28th May 2012, 15:11
did the broadcaster broadcast esc 2012?

nofuxCZ
28th May 2012, 15:14
did the broadcaster broadcast esc 2012?

No. But they aren't required to broadcast it in order to participate next year.

Quent91
28th May 2012, 15:18
I don't think they'll come back. Maybe in 2020 when Slovakia will finally reach the final in 2019 ?

Sim
28th May 2012, 15:20
No. But they aren't required to broadcast it in order to participate next year.

ok but chances are very small you will return next year

LalehForWD
28th May 2012, 16:36
Yeah, because good bands/singers don't want to take part in this :) If we look at Czech national finals in 2007 and 2008, none of the participants were big names in our music (except for Kabát and Čechomor). Most of the singers are unsuccessful former Idol contestants. The more famous and respected names who were approached by our broadcaster refused this offer of taking part in our NF.

Besides, ::cz mainstream music really sucks, all Czechs are aware of this :D Czech radios and major record labels are the ones to blame - they don't support newcomers so it's mostly all the same crappy singers who sing for decades here, not many new faces. There are so many petitions and protest-songs by some artists against this "czech radio mafia".
That's why so many independent labels were founded in recent years and the situation gets better a little bit.

And some genres are almost extinct in CZ music. There were some attempts at doing czech rnb, it ended with failure. And you would have a hard time finding some "pure pop" music here, not even talking about pop ballads.
Rock/harder forms of rock music, rap/hip-hop and folk-rock singer-songwriters are the most popular here. E.g. latest album of Tomáš Klus, released last year, has been at #1 for 23 weeks (It's still number one this week)

Sad thing is that ESC is still ignored and image of Eurovision is really bad (And that's not only because of our bad placings. Some people in this forum called us 'sore losers'. I don't think we can be sore losers if most people don't really care. And those who cared were really embarrassed after our 2008 and 2009 participations and they even called for withdrawal, 'to stop this embarrassment in front of the whole world'). It seems like it will never change.

2007 Kabát - Malá dáma
2008 Tereza Kerndlova - Have Some Fun
2009 Gipsy.cz - Aven Romale

Of these, only Malá dáma is a serious attempt and the studio version is rather good. The actual live performance was terrible though, middle aged men trying to look like young rockers, fake digging to playback - ultraboring:(. To be frank, one could say you tried only once and it failed due to bad performance. What did the Czech people expect? Portugal has graced this competition for 50 years without winning. I usually like their songs and everybody in Europe knows what a Fado is. The most successful, Ireland has won 7 times in 50 years. Winning ESC isn't the main component, it's the chance to show your country's cultural excellence to 100 million Europeans. Showing crap or not take the chance at all is utterly stupid.

I suggest: Send a team playing traditional Czech folk-music every year. I think people will love it and the Czech Republic will participate with elegance and honour :).

nofuxCZ
28th May 2012, 16:56
2007 Kabát - Malá dáma
2008 Tereza Kerndlova - Have Some Fun
2009 Gipsy.cz - Aven Romale

Of these, only Malá dáma is a serious attempt and the studio version is rather good. The actual live performance was terrible though, middle aged men trying to look like young rockers, fake digging to playback - ultraboring:(. To be frank, one could say you tried only once and it failed due to bad performance. What did the Czech people expect? Portugal has graced this competition for 50 years without winning. I usually like their songs and everybody in Europe knows what a Fado is. The most successful, Ireland has won 7 times in 50 years. Winning ESC isn't the main component, it's the chance to show your country's cultural excellence to 100 million Europeans. Showing crap or not take the chance at all is utterly stupid.

I suggest: Send a team playing traditional Czech folk-music every year. I think people will love it and the Czech Republic will participate with elegance and honour :).

Well, write this to our national broadcaster ;) I know that winning it's not that important and if we want to success, we have to try every year, but when we have broadcaster like this. And Czech musicians refuse to take part in ESC, which I don't get either. They could show their music to over 100 million people...
Is there any possibility that commercial TV stations could apply instead of our national broadcaster?

And as I've said before, Czech people expected failure with our entries. We hated our 2008 and 2009 performances. 2007 is a different story, Kabát is the most successful czech band ever, it was a no-brainer they would win our national final. Most of the people had no idea that Lordi won previous year (but I'm not saying that Kabát's performance was flawless).

Yeah, czech folk music would be nice... I voted for Čechomor in our 2008 NF ;)

LalehForWD
28th May 2012, 17:28
Well, write this to our national broadcaster ;) I know that winning it's not that important and if we want to success, we have to try every year, but when we have broadcaster like this. And Czech musicians refuse to take part in ESC, which I don't get either. They could show their music to over 100 million people...
Is there any possibility that commercial TV stations could apply instead of our national broadcaster?

And as I've said before, Czech people expected failure with our entries. We hated our 2008 and 2009 performances. 2007 is a different story, Kabát is the most successful czech band ever, it was a no-brainer they would win our national final. Most of the people had no idea that Lordi won previous year (but I'm not saying that Kabát's performance was flawless).

Yeah, czech folk music would be nice... I voted for Čechomor in our 2008 NF ;)

Yes, I read the thread and it seems there are some unsuitable people in charge. But this situation can change very quickly, so a Czech lobby group can perhaps do wonders, who knows ;).

BGN
28th May 2012, 17:48
In Bulgaria Eurovision also has contradictory image (mainly due to our 5 consecutive failures and only 1 final in 8 participations). But despite that our broadcaster refuse to accept the defeat and to give up. IMO, Czech has to do the same. They tried only 3 times, so it's was early to cross out the contest for long time, as they did.
If they try to build strategy, maybe will be totally different.

Sean
28th May 2012, 17:50
The Czech should come back with a vengeance next year and bring Poland with them ;D

Jim
28th May 2012, 21:36
I strongly believe that the Czech Republic will return next year!

nofuxCZ
29th May 2012, 02:10
In Bulgaria Eurovision also has contradictory image (mainly due to our 5 consecutive failures and only 1 final in 8 participations). But despite that our broadcaster refuse to accept the defeat and to give up. IMO, Czech has to do the same. They tried only 3 times, so it's was early to cross out the contest for long time, as they did.
If they try to build strategy, maybe will be totally different.

Yeah, that's a great attitude that your broadcaster has. Unfortunately, our broadcaster is not that motivated. I don't know how to change their mind and convince them. We (czech ESC fans) have tried to email them and write them all the reasons why we should join ESC again, but they don't seem to really care.

Some positive things - Czech websites and TVs informed about this year's ESC very often - it was really surprising to me. Although most of the articles / TV reports focused on Azerbaijan and their issue of human rights, it was still better than nothing. And the #1 commercial czech TV aired this report about ESC in their main news programme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frYymqYhJys And they didn't say anything bad about ESC! That was really shocking. That's why I asked if there is any possibility that commercial TVs could apply for ESC.

If we returned, I honestly have no idea which artist we could send... I think they would all fail again (not because bloc voting / underrating our entries), I just think that our music isn't that appealing to most of ESC viewers.

sokyratis555
29th May 2012, 05:26
chech rep. would do so well with a half decent song, 2008 was a nice song but the worst performance of that year without a doubt, and 2009 was the equivalent of estonia in 2008 (leto svet) and montenegro of 2012, entries that are there for a laugh.

i hope they try again.

BGN
29th May 2012, 10:38
Yeah, that's a great attitude that your broadcaster has. Unfortunately, our broadcaster is not that motivated. I don't know how to change their mind and convince them. We (czech ESC fans) have tried to email them and write them all the reasons why we should join ESC again, but they don't seem to really care.

Maybe you can try to find someone, who supports ESC in CT, no matter of his/her position. Then you have to be more active and to refresh the interest in ESC in the whole society. In Bulgaria we do it by writing many articles about different aspects of ESC, which we send to all media and they post them.
Our fan society is not bigger than your's but it's very, very active and our broadcaster appreciate it very much. Maybe you have to offer CT some ideas, strategy for their participartion, but firstly the public interest have to be increased and I'm sure that you can do much for this. ;)

Good luck Czech republic, hope to you see you again in ESC in the forseeable future :)

CPV4931
29th May 2012, 13:57
I hope, Czech rebpublic will enter Eurovision again, even if their entries in 2007-2009 were crap.

AdelAdel
29th May 2012, 21:16
The Czech Republic had a certain attitude towards the contest since the 90s, that means something, I bet TV station bosses changed a lot and the country still didn't want to participate. When they did, they sent crappy songs. CR is one country they will never consider ESC a serious competition.

TinaS
30th May 2012, 21:30
according to 99 % people in Slovakia all Eurovision songs are crappy songs. Therefore nobody watch this competition.
According to me, some songs are really good.
The same will be in Czech republic.

But it is true that crappy songs from different countries are perceived differently.

The Czech Republic had a certain attitude towards the contest since the 90s, that means something, I bet TV station bosses changed a lot and the country still didn't want to participate. When they did, they sent crappy songs. CR is one country they will never consider ESC a serious competition.

AdelAdel
30th May 2012, 22:28
according to 99 % people in Slovakia all Eurovision songs are crappy songs. Therefore nobody watch this competition.

But it is true that crappy songs from different countries are perceived differently.

And the only reason is that any of the 2 countries didn't receive a high position any year? In my opinion you should try, but you must treat ESC more seriously.

No Name
30th May 2012, 23:15
As much as I'd love to see Czech Republic back I don't really find it realistic. And honestly, I don't blame the broadcasters (Czech as well as Polish) for showing lack of interest in this contest. It all starts in public, the broadcaster can show as much commitment as possible, but if the viewers aren't there...then it's not much worth of a try for them, I guess.

It kinda sounds like the image and overall view of ESC is pretty similar to our situation in Denmark, yet we manage to scrape through the final every year for some oddly reason. I'm hopeful we might see a return of Czech Republic if Slovakia starts getting the credit they deserve and always have deserved. Till then, Czech Republic will remain a forgotten piece of ESC-history who never really lived up their full potential (I liked both 2007 and 2009 though).

Countries like Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, and to some extend Hungary, are all quite alone in the sense that neither of them belong to any block. Culturally, politically, mentally etc. they seem to be too Western to be Eastern, and too Eastern to be Western. They're neither one thing nor the other and as politically incorrect it may sound, belonging to a block can in fact be quite vital. As long as the Czech broadcaster sees no improvement result-wise in ESC for the countries surrounding them (especially Slovakia), then the future doesn't look too bright for the Czech ESC-fans.

Sadly, 'cause I'd love to have them back. :(

A-lister
30th May 2012, 23:21

Usually sore-losers use that "Eurovision is generally crappy" as defense-mechanism. As for Slovakia, I can get why they're sore, because they REALLY had great entries and were overlooked. Czech though, have no reason to be bitter.

nofuxCZ
31st May 2012, 00:53
Usually sore-losers use that "Eurovision is generally crappy" as defense-mechanism. As for Slovakia, I can get why they're sore, because they REALLY had great entries and were overlooked. Czech though, have no reason to be bitter.

Here we go again. I don't think we are "bitter". I've written about this in my previous posts ;) Czechs haven't liked it from the very beginning. Don't know why. Maybe because music genres that are most common and most popular in the ESC are not so popular here? And I agree with AdelAdel, ESC will never be taken seriously here. Even if we won, ESC would be treated just as some TV show á la The X Factor etc. I've seen many Czechs on the internet wondering why ESC is so important for some eastern european/balkan countries, why even politicians discuss it in the parliament etc.
I just think that Czechs are not that much into all those ballads and pop/dance songs and they'd rather go to a Kabát concert or to pub.
I posted a status update on my Facebook about Loreen winning ESC last week. Some of my friends asked me what is ESC. Something is wrong.

TinaS
31st May 2012, 20:52
yes, you´re right, something is wrong also in Slovakia. If you will ask here on 1 Eurovision winner, maybe you get the answer ABBA, but only maybe :mrgreen:

nofuxCZ
31st May 2012, 22:11
yes, you´re right, something is wrong also in Slovakia. If you will ask here on 1 Eurovision winner, maybe you get the answer ABBA, but only maybe :mrgreen:
Same here + maybe Lordi and Ruslana.

A-lister
31st May 2012, 22:28
Here we go again. I don't think we are "bitter". I've written about this in my previous posts ;) Czechs haven't liked it from the very beginning. Don't know why. Maybe because music genres that are most common and most popular in the ESC are not so popular here? And I agree with AdelAdel, ESC will never be taken seriously here. Even if we won, ESC would be treated just as some TV show á la The X Factor etc. I've seen many Czechs on the internet wondering why ESC is so important for some eastern european/balkan countries, why even politicians discuss it in the parliament etc.
I just think that Czechs are not that much into all those ballads and pop/dance songs and they'd rather go to a Kabát concert or to pub.
I posted a status update on my Facebook about Loreen winning ESC last week. Some of my friends asked me what is ESC. Something is wrong.

Still don't understand what makes Czech such an exception in whole Europe, doesn't make sense. I still believe that out of 10 million people, there's always some demand for something like this.

BGN
1st June 2012, 14:27
Czech republic participated in Eurovision Young musicians 2012, so maybe ČT is not totally away from the idea to give the ESC another chance in the near future.

nofuxCZ
1st June 2012, 15:18
Czech republic participated in Eurovision Young musicians 2012, so maybe ČT is not totally away from the idea to give the ESC another chance in the near future.

We participated in previous years as well ;)

CPV4931
18th July 2012, 22:02
Accoring to Escportal.cz/Eurofire.blog.de (where I read it), Czech Republic won´t participate in Malmö 2013 (ÄŚeská televize o zapojenĂ* v roce 2013 neuvaĹľuje (http://escportal.cz/ceska-televize-o-zapojeni-v-roce-2013-neuvazuje/))

Quent91
18th July 2012, 22:27
Not surprising.

nofuxCZ
19th July 2012, 16:04
What a shock! :shock:xcry1:rolleyes:

AdelAdel
19th July 2012, 16:06
The question is - will Czech Republic participate ever again? :lol:

nofuxCZ
19th July 2012, 16:21
The question is - will Czech Republic participate ever again? :lol:

If Slovakia wins, then maybe :lol:

tuorem
19th July 2012, 16:52
If Slovakia wins, then maybe :lol:

Why Slovakia? Your country didn't even bother participating when Germany hosted.
I guess it's not a matter of host country, it's the broadcaster's will.

Archer
19th July 2012, 16:57
Why are they doing all the time :( I want Czechs back...

nofuxCZ
19th July 2012, 18:15
Why Slovakia? Your country didn't even bother participating when Germany hosted.
I guess it's not a matter of host country, it's the broadcaster's will.

Because Slovakia is the only country that we really care about. Only they can convince our broadcaster to change their mind and try again. I guess they don't need to win but at least qualify and finish high in the final. Germany/Austria/Poland winning or finishing high would not convince our broadcaster, that's true.

tuorem
19th July 2012, 18:23
Ok, and do you know why do you only care about Slovakia?
Let's say, Slovakia wins, you return to the contest, and then? Would you withdraw again afterwards? :o

AdelAdel
19th July 2012, 18:33
Because Slovakia is the only country that we really care about. Only they can convince our broadcaster to change their mind and try again. I guess they don't need to win but at least qualify and finish high in the final. Germany/Austria/Poland winning or finishing high would not convince our broadcaster, that's true.

Is there an official explanation why your broadcaster does not want to participate? I mean, your country didn't want to participate for such a long time after they joined EBU, and when they decided, they sent entries that have no way of even qualifying from the semi.

nofuxCZ
19th July 2012, 18:48
Ok, and do you know why do you only care about Slovakia?
Let's say, Slovakia wins, you return to the contest, and then? Would you withdraw again afterwards? :o

Well, it's not so long ago that we used to be one country and even though we are not anymore, we still have a special place in our hearts for each other. Czech and Slovak national broadcasters do some projects and shows together, so I can't imagine ESC in Bratislava without us. I think their broadcaster would put some effort to bring us back as well. I don't know what would happen afterwards.

Our broadcaster always states that there is a lack of interest for Eurovision here. I don't understand how is that going to change if we refuse to participate and ESC is not even aired on TV.

nofuxCZ
19th July 2012, 18:49
Is there an official explanation why your broadcaster does not want to participate? I mean, your country didn't want to participate for such a long time after they joined EBU, and when they decided, they sent entries that have no way of even qualifying from the semi.

Lack of interest from public and negative response from medias and music critics, that's what they always say.

Matt
19th July 2012, 19:22
It's unfortunate but not a shocker in the slightest. It's going to be difficult to bring the Czech Republic to the contest. And even if they decide to give it another shot, the odds of them withdrawing if they fail to qualify are high so unless the broadcaster and the fans genuinly want to take part, I don't see the purpose of convincing them to come back until they're ready.

tuorem
19th July 2012, 21:33
Well, it's not so long ago that we used to be one country and even though we are not anymore, we still have a special place in our hearts for each other. Czech and Slovak national broadcasters do some projects and shows together, so I can't imagine ESC in Bratislava without us. I think their broadcaster would put some effort to bring us back as well. I don't know what would happen afterwards.

Our broadcaster always states that there is a lack of interest for Eurovision here. I don't understand how is that going to change if we refuse to participate and ESC is not even aired on TV.

Ok, historic links, I understand.

I agree with what you say. The situation isn't likely to change, people will not wake up and suddenly watch Eurovision like in Sweden, how could it improve if you don't take part in it? It's a vicious circle.

Archer
19th July 2012, 21:45
Our broadcaster always states that there is a lack of interest for Eurovision here.

What's your opinion about that ? how many people are there like you ?

nofuxCZ
21st July 2012, 02:14
What's your opinion about that ? how many people are there like you ?

Well, It's true that there aren't as many fans as in some other countries. There are several hundreds or maybe thousands of (hard)core fans (judging by how many people are in our facebook fanpages and how many visitors czech ESC websites have daily). I think the situation here is not that much different from Slovakia, for example. Eurovision has no tradition here like in some western european countries that take part in this for many decades and also we don't have the patriotic need to promote our country as some balkan/eastern european coutries.

NikkiBoy
21st July 2012, 10:52
Nothing has been said or made by Czech Republic-TV. But i don't think there is big chances, but let's hope we see them return.
Maybe it will be like this: (My opinion)
Armenia (Returning)
Poland (Returning)
Czech Republic (Returning)
Liechtenstein (Debuting)
MAYBE Slovakia withdraw.
So 45 countries! :-D

NikkiBoy
23rd July 2012, 20:08
Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ::cz Czech Republic didn't return.. I had wished for it..

TinaS
24th July 2012, 00:04
I really hope that Czech republic will participated after some pause in ESC 2013. Unfortunately CZ-SK duet is not allowed :(
F.e. like this :p We will always love you ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pTvtApmnL0&feature=related

A-lister
24th July 2012, 14:38
^
No offense but I hope we will never see that emo kid ever again on an ESC stage :lol:

A-lister
24th July 2012, 14:44
Maybe a non- return is not set in stone afterall? Chances are narrow, but maybe we shouldn't have the title "not taking part" until it is 100% sure?

Czech Republic: No decision about Eurovision 2013 made! | ESCDaily.com || The latest Eurovision 2012 news from across Europe (http://www.escdaily.com/czech-republic-no-decision-about-eurovision-2013-made/)

NikkiBoy
26th July 2012, 16:46
Maybe ::cz Czech Republic will show Europe after all says "They will not be back" and "They are not interested" that CZ-TV will be back to show Europe they still think about ESC?

nofuxCZ
26th July 2012, 18:52
Maybe a non- return is not set in stone afterall? Chances are narrow, but maybe we shouldn't have the title "not taking part" until it is 100% sure?

Czech Republic: No decision about Eurovision 2013 made! | ESCDaily.com || The latest Eurovision 2012 news from across Europe (http://www.escdaily.com/czech-republic-no-decision-about-eurovision-2013-made/)

I think this is just giving people a false hope. Especially after spokesperson of ČT said several times that they really are not considering return in 2013. But hey, there is still plenty of time to turn that 'no' into a 'yes', so we'll have to wait and see :mrgreen:

I really hope that Czech republic will participated after some pause in ESC 2013. Unfortunately CZ-SK duet is not allowed :(
F.e. like this :p We will always love you ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pTvtApmnL0&feature=related
Oh God :lol: Although I liked Martin in Czecho-Slovak Idol, I really don't like his post-Idol music. It's so oldfashioned.

I'd love to see something more folk-ish or more traditional. Maybe something like this? I'm not so sure if Europe would like this, but I really do! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1iDFFHO93w

NikkiBoy
27th July 2012, 11:07
Let's see! :-)

A-lister
18th September 2012, 20:10
Well, it's fully confirmed now (no surprise) that they will NOT take part:

esctoday.com » Blog Archive » Czech Republic won’t be in Malmo! (http://www.esctoday.com/?p=37548)

I will still don't get Czech constant opposition to this contest... oh well... no surprises, although I was hoping for a return.

Matt
18th September 2012, 20:22
For some reason I was unexpectedly hopeful and optimistic about their 2013 participation so I'm very disappointed and suprised about it cause it shouldn't come as a shock to me.

A-lister
18th September 2012, 20:25
For some reason I was unexpectedly hopeful and optimistic about their 2013 participation so I'm very disappointed and suprised about it cause it shouldn't come as a shock to me.

I actually felt the same way tbh, so while I'm not surprised, I still feel let-down because they indicated some hope.

Czech will go down in history as the biggest ESC haters of them all :lol:

I STILL have a hard time understand what even took them so long to enter in the first place. There are some theories presented in here, but I honestly don't find any logic in any of them, to me it will always remain a mystery.

evija87
18th September 2012, 21:40
They have to get back, so we would get back and we will create our small voting block with Slovakia to make it 3 ;P

VikingTiger
18th September 2012, 22:13
Really not a big surprise that Czhec Republic wont be going to Malmř. Obviously the interest is very low in the country. And the extremely poor results havent helped. It's a shame that the broadcaster hasnt managed to rise the publics interest, though.

nofuxCZ
18th September 2012, 22:50
Yeah, no surprises there, although I was also secretly hoping that we would come back. Hopefully we will make that "great" return in 2014. I've also noticed there is some increased interest in the contest (among public and the media as well - even though it might be because this year the contest took place in Azerbaijan). Nevertheless, I see more and more people defending the show (but still - most people hate it, but at least there is some hope that the image of ESC can get better).
I still can't see any of our artists doing good at Eurovision though :lol: Our mainstream music is not really good and the very few good acts just don't have the appeal to non-Czech/Slovak audience imho (that's my impression I get from people on the internet and from the various online song contests that I take part in).

I just hope Poland comes back next year and Slovakia stays and both send killer entries to prove that central European countries can be successful as well ;)

AdelAdel
18th September 2012, 22:59
I STILL have a hard time understand what even took them so long to enter in the first place. There are some theories presented in here, but I honestly don't find any logic in any of them, to me it will always remain a mystery.

What were those theories?

A-lister
18th September 2012, 23:19
What were those theories?

Just some excuses that 'Czechs are more interested in sports and therefor focused to take part in sport shows instead'... as if no Czechs are interested in music and other countries doesn't take part in sport shows? I mean just because you enter one field, doesn't mean you can't take part in more at the same time.

There is actual no logical explanations to why Czech Republic did such a late debut.

nofuxCZ
19th September 2012, 00:06
Just some excuses that 'Czechs are more interested in sports and therefor focused to take part in sport shows instead'... as if no Czechs are interested in music and other countries doesn't take part in sport shows? I mean just because you enter one field, doesn't mean you can't take part in more at the same time.

There is actual no logical explanations to why Czech Republic did such a late debut.

Czech TV focused more on other EBU projects - especially on Jeux sans frontičres. This show was extremly popular here and it still carries the cult status.
Czechs in general don't have the nationalistic need and pride to present themselves and promote our country to the whole world - that's a difference to Slovakia for example - their nation always struggled (under the Hungarians and then under the Czechs - at least that's what some Slovaks say), after the split of Czechoslovakia they had the perfect opportunity to finally present themselves as the independent Slovakia for the first time ever in the history.
We've always been more oriented on rock and folk. You don't see many rock entries in the Eurovision. In last 10 years, the hip hop music has experienced a huge boom and I'm not afraid to call it as #1 genre here at the moment (apparently I am not the only one who sees that rap is big here -folks at Europopped have noticed this too (http://europopped.com/czech-mate-majk-spirit-djwich-light-up-facebo) ). Again, how many rap songs take part in ESC every year? Imho that's also one of the reasons Eurovision is not popular among our audience - I guess it's hard for some people to sit through an 2 hour show full of music they don't enjoy...
Bad approach of Czechs to music in general, and to Czech music especially. If you ask any people here, they will tell you that our music sucks and they barely listen to any Czech singers.
Ewa Farna in interview for one Czech mag:
Q: What's the difference in approach to culture between us and Poland?
A: From my own experience I know that they take everything more seriously there. For example, the preparations for big awards mean that every performer has its own stylist and team of people who take care of their looks and stage presence. Everybody looks perfect on the stage. Polish culture and music especially is more western-oriented, they look up more to the world. It's also important that there are much higher budgets for music and culture than here in the CR.

(I'm not sure if Poland is a good example though)

These are some of the reasons that might have affected our late debut in Eurovision. I think I'm repeating myself because I've already written something very similar on the previous pages. Of course that's just my opinion, this question should be directed to Czech TV because only they know why we didn't join earlier.

A-lister
19th September 2012, 00:22
Czech TV focused more on other EBU projects - especially on Jeux sans frontičres. This show was extremly popular here and it still carries the cult status.

Most countries/broadcasters take part in different EBU projects at the same time, that doesn't hinder them to take part in ESC aswell. Also, I don't see how Czech differs here? There will always be some public for different events, because not all people share the same interests.

Czechs in general don't have the nationalistic need and pride to present themselves and promote our country to the whole world - that's a difference to Slovakia for example - their nation always struggled (under the Hungarians and then under the Czechs - at least that's what some Slovaks say), after the split of Czechoslovakia they had the perfect opportunity to finally present themselves as the independent Slovakia for the first time ever in the history.

Sweden is probably the least nationalist country in Europe and struggled even less than Czech Republic, yet ESC has been huge here for ages.

We've always been more oriented on rock and folk. You don't see many rock entries in the Eurovision. In last 10 years, the hip hop music has experienced a huge boom and I'm not afraid to call it as #1 genre here at the moment (apparently I am not the only one who sees that rap is big here -folks at Europopped have noticed this too (http://europopped.com/czech-mate-majk-spirit-djwich-light-up-facebo) ). Again, how many rap songs take part in ESC every year? Imho that's also one of the reasons Eurovision is not popular among our audience - I guess it's hard for some people to sit through an 2 hour show full of music they don't enjoy...

Rock is the most popular genre in many markets, I mean hello Finland for instance! In Armenia HipHop is a big deal, and? Loreen's winning song was a hit in Czech Republic, so to say people can't enjoy the music in Eurovision is probably based on prejudices about Eurovision as a contest, and the exact same mindset about ESC can be found in various ESC countries aswell. And again, Czech Republic is not a homogeneous country, there's a potential public for everything.

Bad approach of Czechs to music in general, and to Czech music especially. If you ask any people here, they will tell you that our music sucks and they barely listen to any Czech singers.

I bet this is not only an issue in Czech Republic, and the international (mostly US-driven) music scene is the most common in most European countries.

Ewa Farna in interview for one Czech mag:
Q: What's the difference in approach to culture between us and Poland?
A: From my own experience I know that they take everything more seriously there. For example, the preparations for big awards mean that every performer has its own stylist and team of people who take care of their looks and stage presence. Everybody looks perfect on the stage. Polish culture and music especially is more western-oriented, they look up more to the world. It's also important that there are much higher budgets for music and culture than here in the CR.

The approach to the culture/music industry differs from country to country, but I doubt poor small countries such as Moldova, Montenegro or Slovenia (to name some) could differ that much.

(I'm not sure if Poland is a good example though)

These are some of the reasons that might have affected our late debut in Eurovision. I think I'm repeating myself because I've already written something very similar on the previous pages. Of course that's just my opinion, this question should be directed to Czech TV because only they know why we didn't join earlier.

Well, of course this is a question that should be answered by Czech TV, and I think no one is really expecting you to have any answers on this since you're obviously not responsible for this, still interesting to see your point of view.

Thing is though, I don't really see any logical explanations in any of those things you mentioned, because the same can be said about other countries. There will always be some public interest for something like ESC, I don't think Czech differs here because you're not some alien sort of country with a whole different culture than the rest. Even tiny countries with less potential public take part in this or countries which have very little public support (Poland is one of those).

AdelAdel
19th September 2012, 00:28
Thing is though, I don't really see any logical explanations in any of those things you mentioned, because the same can be said about other countries. There will always be some public interest for something like ESC, I don't think Czech differs here because you're not some alien sort of country with a whole different culture than the rest. Even tiny countries with less potential public take part in this or countries which have very little public support (Poland is one of those).

From what I heard, Czech Republic is pretty different than the rest of ex-communist European states. When it comes to mentality, it is no different than most western countries, including the +80% non-religious people. No other eastern country is like that.

PS. A-lister, since when Poland is a "tiny" country? xrofl3

A-lister
19th September 2012, 00:34
From what I heard, Czech Republic is pretty different than the rest of ex-communist European states. When it comes to mentality, it is no different than most western countries, including the +80% non-religious people. No other eastern country is like that.

PS. A-lister, since when Poland is a "tiny" country? xrofl3

Well, Sweden is very similar to Czech Republic in regards to nationalism and religion, but we still take part? And with this logic, very few western countries should take part in this? I don't really see how this somehow could explain Czech's apathy towards ESC? It's like saying only conservative religious countries would want to take part in ESC? :lol:

If you read the sentence again I wrote: Even tiny countries with less potential public take part in this or countries which have very little public support (Poland is one of those) <- not the "or", and with "little public support" I refer to the lack of public interest for ESC, not the amount of general public.

AdelAdel
19th September 2012, 00:36
Well, Sweden is very similar to Czech Republic in regards to nationalism and religion, but we still take part? And with this logic, very few western countries should take part in this? I don't really see how this somehow could explain Czech's apathy towards ESC? It's like saying only conservative religious countries would want to take part in ESC? :lol:

I wasn't referring to ESC in my post, but to the fact that CR is different from other eastern countries - you wrote that you can't see any differences.

A-lister
19th September 2012, 00:50
I wasn't referring to ESC in my post, but to the fact that CR is different from other eastern countries - you wrote that you can't see any differences.

I meant generally from rest of Europe, of course there's differences between all countries, but I can't see such REVOLVING differences between Czech Republic from the rest explaining the apathy towards ESC. I know Czech differs from most of the other ex- communist countries though, but in this very context (ESC) I can't see how that really would matter that much.

nofuxCZ
19th September 2012, 00:59
Sweden is probably the least nationalist country in Europe and struggled even less than Czech Republic, yet ESC has been huge here for ages.
It's true our countries are very similar regarding nationalism and religion. The difference is that Sweden has a long and very successful Eurovision history. It's a tradition. The whole family watches Eurovision, small kids watch it because their parents like it and have watched it for many years. Or am I wrong? This "tradition" is missing here. ESC fan bases in Sweden and other western European countries have been built for decades. I think Eurovision would not be as huge if you joined in late 00's. Other countries which joined later (mostly eastern/south-eastern) also don't have this tradition, but they are pushed and motivated by their national pride.

We need to start this "tradition" here first and build the fanbase. But it's impossible because our broadcaster doesn't want to take part in this and the few hundreds or thousands of ESC fans here are not able to change public opinion, without the help of medias.

Loreen's winning song was a hit in Czech Republic, so to say people can't enjoy the music in Eurovision is probably based on prejudices about Eurovision as a contest, and the exact same mindset about ESC can be found in various ESC countries aswell. And again, Czech Republic is not a homogeneous country, there's a potential public for everything.
Euphoria is the most successful Eurovision song here ever. I wasn't trying to say that people can't enjoy any Eurovision song, but I think they don't enjoy most of the songs. Loreen's song has given me a hope for our return.

A-lister
19th September 2012, 01:10
It's true our countries are very similar regarding nationalism and religion. The difference is that Sweden has a long and very successful Eurovision history. It's a tradition. The whole family watches Eurovision, small kids watch it because their parents like it and have watched it for many years. Or am I wrong? This "tradition" is missing here. ESC fan bases in Sweden and other western European countries have been built for decades. I think Eurovision would not be as huge if you joined in late 00's. Other countries which joined later (mostly eastern/south-eastern) also don't have this tradition, but they are pushed and motivated by their national pride.

We need to start this "tradition" here first and build the fanbase. But it's impossible because our broadcaster doesn't want to take part in this and the few hundreds or thousands of ESC fans here are not able to change public opinion, without the help of medias.

It's true that building up a tradition helps, but you still find 'newer' countries that didn't build up that tradition still taking part (Poland and Hungary for instance). I mean everyone starts at one point, even Sweden wasn't one of the absolute first ones (yet ESC is more popular here than in the very initial countries).

But lack of tradition and attachment to the contest didn't stop countries entering in the mid 90's? I might be wrong, but Estonia is also a country that is often referred to "not very nationalist or religious", but they also entered quite freshly after the Soviet breakdown.

I mean a journey starts at some point, and I would find it more logical if Czech Republic would have withdrawn after many failed attemps (as Slovakia and Hungary did), but I'm still clueless to why Czech Republic never entered in the 90's together with those other Central and Eastern ex- communist countries. I don't find the Czech situation back then that much different than Hungary's or Poland's for instance, also Czech Republic was always very ambitious to be a part of the Western/European family again after the communist breakdown, so I don't see why there would have been political lack of incitements for entering either?

BGN
19th September 2012, 21:07
I think that the problem with Czech Republic is not with the mentality of the people, but with the internal situation in their broadcaster which is responsible for the ESC participation.
Bulgaria and Czech rep. have many in common when we talk about Eurovision. We were one of the last Eastern countries which debuted in the contest (2005) and the first participations were total disaster with the results and the public opinion. But our broadcaster continued participation even with extremely bad results since our debut (except 2007). Something more - they put a lot of effort to change the public opinion and the results of these efforts are visible now - completely improved rating figures even without traditions and success in the contest.
So it's all about the broadcaster's attitude. Czech television has different opinion about Eurovision and the place of the contest in their programme.
But this could change in the future.

nofuxCZ
10th November 2012, 16:40
Jaký je mezi českými interprety zájem o Eurovizi? (http://escportal.cz/jaky-je-mezi-ceskymi-interprety-zajem-o-eurovizi/)
Same as Eurovision Club Slovakia, guys at escportal.cz approached many Czech artists and asked them:
"If you had the chance, would you represent Czech Republic at ESC?"

Alžeběta Kolečkářová: "I'm definitely interested in representing CR at ESC" Alžběta Kolečkářová - Sotva dýchám (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6SoRv65xTg)
Anna K: "I'm very sorry, but I'm not interested. I try to avoid shows like this all my life. I don't mean it in a derogatory way, it's just my taste is completely different"
David Deyl: "David Deyl is interested in representing CR at ESC" (answer via his manager)
David Deyl - Lež a nech si lhát (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuxw3AMcwEU), David Deyl - Akorát (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2s8c6PnJiE)
Koblížc!: "I think we would be interested. So Koblížc! agrees!"
Koblížc! - Ty a já (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1XQqmxHI0w), Koblížc! - Už mě nenajdou (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqTm9HrVltQ) :lol:
Kryštof: "Our band has 7 members and we play only live. Therefore we can't take part" :( :(
Leona Šenková: "Leona was already interested this year" (answer via her manager) Leona Šenková - Věřím Andělům (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKTcQRHmMJw)
Markéta Poulíčková: "I'd like to take part even though I've already tried it in the NF few years ago when I finished on 2nd place behind Kabát. (...)" Markéta Poulíčková - Jen Jednou (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIcA_IRPsXs) (is this song a cover? I'm not sure), LBP - Story of Life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGK6kArYgq0) (her 2007 NF song)
Martin Chodúr: "Invitation to the NF or to represent CR at ESC would be much welcomed by Martin. (...)" (asnwer via his manager) Martin Chodúr - Let's Celebrate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzHwnuCKhLA)
Memphis: "For all the members of our band I can confirm that we would gladly perform at ESC. Our relationship to the contest is positive." Memphis - Sunshine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVu0Im-vIwY)
Václav Noid Bárta: "The answer is YES!" (answer via his manager) :o Václav Noid Bárta - V horečkách (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiIbJPBL7HU), Václav Noid Bárta - Když to nečekáš (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6BPdIoR9uM), Noid - Smrt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxpzS8mdC9k) (his band)
Verona: "For our group I can say that we would definitely go for ESC!" :o Verona - Hey Boy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q52aey56tHI), Verona - Ztracená Bloudím (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdObE-XmqDE)
Xindl X: "We are not interested"

From this list I would choose Václav Noid Bárta, Verona or David Deyl. I'm actually quite shocked that Noid and Verona are interested.
Verona seem to be very popular among ESC fans (People from abroad suggested them very often for ESC).
Václav Noid Bárta is a great live singer, although he is mostly rocker, he can sing everything.

Some artists might answer later, I will post their reaction then.
Czech TV has one less excuse - they really can't say there is no interest among artists.

PS: There are rumors that there might be a joint Czech-Slovak national final in the future (of course, if CR joins). I think that would be awesome and more attractive for viewers!

A-lister
11th November 2012, 11:00
^
And are these names popular names or what? Verona is known abroad because they had some minor hits in some markets (I even think Verona entered the Swedish MF once :lol:), however they're probably picked by ESC fans because they are somewhat known, not because they're the most popular. Most Czech acts are totally unknown so xshrug

A joint Czech-Slovak national final? How would that work even? Will they have two winners?

A-lister
11th November 2012, 11:00
*double post*

nofuxCZ
11th November 2012, 12:42
^
And are these names popular names or what? Verona is known abroad because they had some minor hits in some markets (I even think Verona entered the Swedish MF once :lol:), however they're probably picked by ESC fans because they are somewhat known, not because they're the most popular. Most Czech acts are totally unknown so xshrug

All these names are known here, but from the ones that would be interested in ESC, only Verona and David Deyl are really big here.

A joint Czech-Slovak national final? How would that work even? Will they have two winners?
Yeah, there would be 2 winners. Czech song with the most votes would represent CR, Slovak song with the most votes would represent Slovakia. It was mentioned in one interview with the head of Slovak RTVS. I think it's a good idea :)

A-lister
11th November 2012, 14:27
Yeah, there would be 2 winners. Czech song with the most votes would represent CR, Slovak song with the most votes would represent Slovakia. It was mentioned in one interview with the head of Slovak RTVS. I think it's a good idea :)

I see, that could be interesting perhaps. As long as it wouldn't turn into a Evropesma situation with just one winner and a bitter battle between the two countries :lol:

Sabiondo
16th November 2012, 18:44
Jaký je mezi českými interprety zájem o Eurovizi? (http://escportal.cz/jaky-je-mezi-ceskymi-interprety-zajem-o-eurovizi/)
Same as Eurovision Club Slovakia, guys at escportal.cz approached many Czech artists and asked them:
"If you had the chance, would you represent Czech Republic at ESC?"

Alžeběta Kolečkářová: "I'm definitely interested in representing CR at ESC" Alžběta Kolečkářová - Sotva dýchám (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6SoRv65xTg)
Anna K: "I'm very sorry, but I'm not interested. I try to avoid shows like this all my life. I don't mean it in a derogatory way, it's just my taste is completely different"
David Deyl: "David Deyl is interested in representing CR at ESC" (answer via his manager)
David Deyl - Lež a nech si lhát (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuxw3AMcwEU), David Deyl - Akorát (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2s8c6PnJiE)
Koblížc!: "I think we would be interested. So Koblížc! agrees!"
Koblížc! - Ty a já (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1XQqmxHI0w), Koblížc! - Už mě nenajdou (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqTm9HrVltQ) :lol:
Kryštof: "Our band has 7 members and we play only live. Therefore we can't take part" :( :(
Leona Šenková: "Leona was already interested this year" (answer via her manager) Leona Šenková - Věřím Andělům (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKTcQRHmMJw)
Markéta Poulíčková: "I'd like to take part even though I've already tried it in the NF few years ago when I finished on 2nd place behind Kabát. (...)" Markéta Poulíčková - Jen Jednou (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIcA_IRPsXs) (is this song a cover? I'm not sure), LBP - Story of Life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGK6kArYgq0) (her 2007 NF song)
Martin Chodúr: "Invitation to the NF or to represent CR at ESC would be much welcomed by Martin. (...)" (asnwer via his manager) Martin Chodúr - Let's Celebrate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzHwnuCKhLA)
Memphis: "For all the members of our band I can confirm that we would gladly perform at ESC. Our relationship to the contest is positive." Memphis - Sunshine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVu0Im-vIwY)
Václav Noid Bárta: "The answer is YES!" (answer via his manager) :o Václav Noid Bárta - V horečkách (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiIbJPBL7HU), Václav Noid Bárta - Když to nečekáš (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6BPdIoR9uM), Noid - Smrt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxpzS8mdC9k) (his band)
Verona: "For our group I can say that we would definitely go for ESC!" :o Verona - Hey Boy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q52aey56tHI), Verona - Ztracená Bloudím (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdObE-XmqDE)
Xindl X: "We are not interested"

From this list I would choose Václav Noid Bárta, Verona or David Deyl. I'm actually quite shocked that Noid and Verona are interested.
Verona seem to be very popular among ESC fans (People from abroad suggested them very often for ESC).
Václav Noid Bárta is a great live singer, although he is mostly rocker, he can sing everything.

Some artists might answer later, I will post their reaction then.
Czech TV has one less excuse - they really can't say there is no interest among artists.

PS: There are rumors that there might be a joint Czech-Slovak national final in the future (of course, if CR joins). I think that would be awesome and more attractive for viewers!

Im all to see Verona in the future at ESC :)

CC92
16th November 2012, 23:49
A song by Verona, Hey boy, is taking part in the current edition of an online contest (not on this forum) I participate in and I must say it is dreadful in all respects.

nofuxCZ
17th November 2012, 00:02
A song by Verona, Hey boy, is taking part in the current edition of an online contest (not on this forum) I participate in and I must say it is dreadful in all respects.
:lol: I'm not surprised you don't like it. That song was a huge hit here last year. Btw. it samples this old song "Yes, Sir! That's My Baby!" (Lee Morse, 1925) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh1eGgFTLx4)

CC92
17th November 2012, 00:10
^ The original is much nicer though. Partly due to the lack of embarrassing lyrics I think. :D