PDA

View Full Version : The Bravest Entries

Miguel
5th April 2012, 00:38
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/2606/1331142570antiarmeniya.jpg

OK, so we have a thread for the underrated entries, we have another thread for the overrated entries. What about the bravest ones? Those entries who don't follow standards, those which are not very common, those which are far from being mainstream, those which can be considered kinda 'alternative', those who don't 'care' about points!

Two entries come immediately to my mind.

Slovakia ::sk | Max Jason Mai - Don't Close Your Eyes: it's a rock song, with a very heavy sound considering the strong guitars.

http://4lyrics.eu/wp-content/uploads//2012/04/max-jason-mai_lead.jpg

Portugal ::pt | Filipa Sousa - Vida Minha: it's a traditional folk song with fado (portuguese music genre) influences. It has a unique sound.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-K0gXSZHwxbI/T1v0CvOKl-I/AAAAAAAAAPY/07HQEo6G8nw/s1600/filipa-sousa_lead.png

Personally, I don't consider any joke entry as "brave" (a good thing), so I did not mention any. It's just my position.

Express your opinions. :)

lowyby
5th April 2012, 00:43
The Netherlands definately belongs here ! (:

Franco
5th April 2012, 00:48
Rambo Amadeus with "Euro Neuro" definitely doesn't care about points and I don't think it's a joke (as opposed to Georgia's entry).

Miguel
5th April 2012, 00:50
OK, right. But I am asking about serious entries here. :lol:

Anthony Tesla
5th April 2012, 01:11
Montenegro and Slovakia: They could be taken more seriously if this were some more indie or rock kind of festival. I can actually see them work if they were along with, let's say, Beck or Artic Monkeys. But then again, I'm sick of hearing "it's good but not for Eurovision", and if that attitude it's gonna change, having music and songs of all kinds is necesary: in the end, it makes more good than harm having artists like them here.

I'm gonna say also as some kind of "honorific mention" to the UK: it's a beautiful AND CLASSY ballad in an event that isn't exactly known for having class.

Venage
5th April 2012, 01:38
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4877/valentinabravefll.jpg

JustinCase
5th April 2012, 02:35
I really think ::nl is showing that at least it is thinking creatively this year. The past decade the Dutch were thinking "safe", with the exception of Sieneke, and now at least they're sending something original.

r3gg13
5th April 2012, 03:13
I do agree with Anthony Tesla, I think the UK is pretty brave for sending such a song, and I'm quite happy that composers and lyricists that have made songs for famous artists agreed to make the UK's entry. That in and of itself is pretty brave if you ask me.

I also want to mention France, Anggun's song is pretty out of the box (even though it is a pop song). It really sounds nothing like other ESC songs this year. Well, for me France always sends something brave.

EurovisionSmile
5th April 2012, 03:26
Nice thread Miguel. You're very inspired, lately 8-)

EurovisionSmile
5th April 2012, 03:28
The Netherlands definately belongs here ! (:

It surely does, lowby. 8-)

GRE
5th April 2012, 08:13
Montenegro,Israel,Slovakia AND Russia.

LadyKiller
5th April 2012, 08:16
Montenegro is the bravest and it's definitely not a joke entry.

Jukica
5th April 2012, 12:17
Definitely Slovakia :D

doctormalisimo
5th April 2012, 13:26
::nl ::fr ::ru ::il and ::md (as always)

Mozz
5th April 2012, 13:27
For me definitely Albania. It could prove to be too much pure human emotion for the average Eurovision watcher. Very risky!

Albania
Montenegro (political satire about the Euro & Eurozone)
UK & Russia (no need to explain)

::al::me::uk::ru

Miguel
5th April 2012, 14:46
Nice thread Miguel. You're very inspired, lately 8-)

Eh eh. Thank you. :)

Some people already mentioned it. I agree on UK ::uk (to send a 75 year old man is very risky) and also Albania ::al (it's not conventional, with all those screams).

94ayd
5th April 2012, 15:58
It seems there are a lot of very unique to ESC entries music-wise this year: ::me, ::al, ::il, ::sk, ::uk, ::fr & ::it are some that come to mind. :)

Jopi
5th April 2012, 16:11
Haha:)
Montenegro,Russia

EurovisionSmile
5th April 2012, 19:53
Bravest entries this year are: (Not at all related to what I like or not)
01.::smSan Marino
02.::ruRussia (but Russians know they will rank high, whatever they choose)
03.::meMontenegro
04.::atAustria
05.::ukUK
06.::nlNetherlands
07.::ilIsrael
08.::geGeorgia
09.::trTurkey
10.::alAlbania

GRE
5th April 2012, 23:16
Why Netherlands have a brave entry?

Sean
5th April 2012, 23:29
::at - Unprecedented in ESC so who knows how it'll do.
::ie - Sending the same artist twice in a row, regardless of who it is, is risky.
::sm - Could bomb massively or pick up a strong televote. Either way, very risky..
::me - Can he pull it off live? Also, first song of the first show is a nervous time for the host and it could have teething problems.
::sk - Can't see this not doing well, to be honest :P

Plus ::uk and ::ru but only for the choice of artist. Both are pretty standard musically.

::nl and ::pt are only brave in being the two underdogs year after year..

GRE
6th April 2012, 00:24
Malta has a brave entry?:o

Miguel
6th April 2012, 01:04
Netherlands' and France's entries are not brave. They are pop, catchy and safe. UK's entry is not brave itself, but that singer makes it brave. Russia's entry is not brave since is not serious. Ireland is half brave (sending Jedward again is risky indeed).

To me, a brave entry is unique and it doesn't give a damn about what people think. :lol:

Matt
6th April 2012, 04:31
::at & ::sk to me have the "bravest" entries. Good luck to both of them.

EurovisionSmile
6th April 2012, 06:58
::at - Unprecedented in ESC so who knows how it'll do.
::ie - Sending the same artist twice in a row, regardless of who it is, is risky.
::sm - Could bomb massively or pick up a strong televote. Either way, very risky..
::mt - Can he pull it off live? Also, first song of the first show is a nervous time for the host and it could have teething problems.
::sk - Can't see this not doing well, to be honest :P

Plus ::uk and ::ru but only for the choice of artist. Both are pretty standard musically.

::nl and ::pt are only brave in being the two underdogs year after year..

UK has been one of the underdogs of these last years you forgot to mention. With poorer songs than either Netherlands and Portugal. And what a flop in 2011!! If it wasn't for being one of the BIG 5 (as if), UK wouldn't be in most of the finals since 2004! Probably even less than both Netherlands and Portugal.

EurovisionSmile
6th April 2012, 07:04
Why Netherlands have a brave entry?

Because they really dare having an unusual and fresh song, not stereotyped and safe like Greece for example.

GRE
6th April 2012, 07:33
Because they really dare having an unusual and fresh song, not stereotyped and safe like Greece for example.
Last year Greece was brave,but almost everyone eurofan before Eurovision (except some friends from Azerbaijan & Turkey) said the worst things about the entry.

EurovisionSmile
6th April 2012, 07:42
Last year Greece was brave,but almost everyone eurofan before Eurovision (except some friends from Azerbaijan & Turkey) said the worst things about the entry.

Yes, I agree with you on that point. Greece was a brave entry last year and it was very refreshing :mrgreen: 8-)

EurovisionSmile
6th April 2012, 07:50
And Miguel, I really love the Portuguese song this year, but in my point of view it's not brave at all :?

Sean
6th April 2012, 14:25
Malta has a brave entry?:o

Sorry, was meant to put Montenegro

GRE
6th April 2012, 14:47
Sorry, was meant to put Montenegro

Ok then..!;)

Miguel
6th April 2012, 18:07
And Miguel, I really love the Portuguese song this year, but in my point of view it's not brave at all :?

Yes, it is. "Vida Minha" ain't catchy like "Senhora do Mar". You need some time to get use to it. Even Matt said Portugal was brave to send a song like that. Think about it, it has absolutely nothing to do with Eurovision's atmosphere. To me it's very clear and I don't understand how people (like you :lol:) can't see that. It's like fado vs Europe. In Slovakia's case, it's rock vs Europe. xrofl3

EurovisionSmile
6th April 2012, 19:26
Yes, it is. "Vida Minha" ain't catchy like "Senhora do Mar". You need some time to get use to it. Even Matt said Portugal was brave to send a song like that. Think about it, it has absolutely nothing to do with Eurovision's atmosphere. To me it's very clear and I don't understand how people (like you :lol:) can't see that. It's like fado vs Europe. In Slovakia's case, it's rock vs Europe. xrofl3

Actually I loved the song from the first listening... I like it more than I ever did with "Senhora do mar". But I see your point. Anyway there are braver songs.

QwaarJet
6th April 2012, 22:00
Surely Albania has to be the bravest. Slovakia is up there too.

Jim
6th April 2012, 22:33
Latvia, Montenegro & San Marino

Yamarus
7th April 2012, 01:46
Albania.

DanielLuis
7th April 2012, 03:33
Netherlands' and France's entries are not brave. They are pop, catchy and safe. UK's entry is not brave itself, but that singer makes it brave. Russia's entry is not brave since is not serious. Ireland is half brave (sending Jedward again is risky indeed).

To me, a brave entry is unique and it doesn't give a damn about what people think. :lol:
Thats exactly the definition of "joke entry"!

DanielLuis
7th April 2012, 03:37
Bravest entries this year are: (Not at all related to what I like or not)
01.::smSan Marino
02.::ruRussia (but Russians know they will rank high, whatever they choose)
03.::meMontenegro
04.::atAustria
05.::ukUK
06.::nlNetherlands
07.::ilIsrael
08.::geGeorgia
09.::trTurkey
10.::alAlbania

Last year Russia was 9th in the semi-final and 17th in the final...dont be so sure...

Miguel
7th April 2012, 03:39
Thats exactly the definition of "joke entry"!

Not necessarily. So, Max Jason Mai is going to bring down the house with his rock sound, because it's what he likes and he doesn't care if it doesn't fit this contest. That makes his song a joke? Please. Read my statement again. Not caring about other people's opinions doesn't make you a joke. :roll:

aletem
7th April 2012, 05:44
Montenegro is the bravest and it's definitely not a joke entry.
Yes! :) Good call, angel! :mrgreen: :lol:

LadyKiller
7th April 2012, 10:04
Yes! :) Good call, angel! :mrgreen: :lol:

Why, thank you Charlie! xkiss

EurovisionSmile
7th April 2012, 20:14
Last year Russia was 9th in the semi-final and 17th in the final...dont be so sure...

I hope you're right, but they always manage somehow, that was all I was saying ;)

DanielLuis
7th April 2012, 23:50
Not necessarily. So, Max Jason Mai is going to bring down the house with his rock sound, because it's what he likes and he doesn't care if it doesn't fit this contest. That makes his song a joke? Please. Read my statement again. Not caring about other people's opinions doesn't make you a joke. :roll:

Thats not waht I was saying! Joke entries are brave because they are different and dont care about the result!But not all brave entries are joke entries...Slovakia is not a joke entry, I never said that!
Geez you're a joke! I never said I didnt care about your opinion. You just like arguments I suppose....goodness.

Mozz
8th April 2012, 00:05
Maybe it's useful to say/add here that 'brave' is not equal to 'careless' (= not caring about the end result).

But it's tough to judge if an (unusual) entry is really brave, or just careless.

DanielLuis
8th April 2012, 05:43
Maybe it's useful to say/add here that 'brave' is not equal to 'careless' (= not caring about the end result).

But it's tough to judge if an (unusual) entry is really brave, or just careless.

Exactly.

Ashattack
8th April 2012, 17:33
http://www.escforums.com/images/smilies/Slovakia.png for me as mentioned its rock!!! its heavy!!! however i think it will do well as there is a lack of rock songs this year!! and i believe there is a rock vote to be won....

setnop
10th April 2012, 22:47
I'd choose Albania for sure. The performance can either save the song or doom it. I've heard both, the studio version and the live version, and the live version is pure torture, if she screams like that live you will see some lights going off and glass shattering. The studio versio is amazing though.

alca
12th April 2012, 12:58
Israel!

Asiye
12th April 2012, 17:35
::ge (bravery is a good thing but this is too brave, like committig suicide)
::me (i like the videoclip :))
::al (don't like it actually)
::sk (like 80s stuff, nice)
::il (i like this one)
::at (not keen on rap)

And our entry can be called brave imo when i consider this year is full of ballads and dance stuff but it's not as brave as the songs above.

watersoup
14th April 2012, 01:04
I actually don't think Slovakia is that brave. Rock has been done many times in recent years and it has been done much in a much less mainstream way before (Teräsbetoni). The only difference is that it is a country other than Finland, Turkey or Belarus doing it this time. Also, Montenegro's song is careless, not brave. The guy has said that he doesn't care about Eurovision or his result so he is not risking anything.

I would say that Albania's and Portugal's are the bravest.

Anthony Tesla
16th April 2012, 15:17
I don't know; the think about joke entries is that by this point of the contest, a joke entry is always expected, so I don't think it is as brave as many people seems to believe, if anything, to me it's a little safe: "wohoo! We don't care about the contest! If we end up in a bad rank we can say that we don't take seriously the contest anyway!", c'mon, that's nothing new or brave, that's the opinion a lot of people have about Eurovision.