PDA

View Full Version : Would like to learn a new language...

Kicker
30th December 2011, 23:02
Hello Guys :D
I'd like to learn a 5th language... but I just don't know which language I'd like to learn. At the moment, I speak German (Surprise!), Englisch (Surprise too!), French and Spanish. But these languages are all very easy to learn... so I would be also ready for learning something more difficult... But it also don't have to be that complicated like german :lol:

Okay, what do you say?

seb89
30th December 2011, 23:09
Hebrew, Hindi, Arabic or a slavic one, but they are all more complicated than German :s.

Go for Dutch lol :p!

vatroslav_cro
30th December 2011, 23:11
I think this is a double post, since we had a thread for it already ...."Foreign languages" was the title...;)

Grinch
30th December 2011, 23:20
^^ It's Kicker's personal thread :D

MyHeartIsYours
30th December 2011, 23:29
Welsh :mrgreen:

Yamarus
30th December 2011, 23:31
Russian.

r3gg13
31st December 2011, 02:16
Try a non-Indo European language!

Finnish? Hungarian? Turkish?

Kicker
31st December 2011, 13:28
Dutch... I guess that would be very easy to learn for me because it's very similar to German... but I don't really know if I really would like to speak dutch :lol:
Welsh... No :lol:
I guess Russian should be very, very difficult... and I don't like how the language sounds... it sounds as they would shout the whole time :lol:

I already thought about learning Turkish or Hungarian... But especially hungarian is very, very, very, very difficult to learn for german native speakers because its very different... But I'm not sure whats the "difficult thing" about it is. Is it just the grammar rules or is it just very irregular? Does anybody know this?
Turkish... I thought about this too (that would be funny if I could understand the turks here in germany :D), but then I saw that they got 6 (Okay, I don't really know the englisch word for it and I don't find it in the internet, so I'll call it how it could be:) falls (?). (I mean something like Akkusativ, Dativ, Genitiv...). And that's a bit... hard. We also learned the german Dativ, Genitiv, Akkusativ and Nominativ - but it was very difficult for us too and I'm not sure if I would get that...

seb89
31st December 2011, 14:33
Dutch will be easy and difficult at the same time. The similarities will make easier to learn it, but at the same time will make it difficult, because of "false friends", different genera, etc. The problem I had with German wasn't really the akkusativ, dativ, genetiv; tenses, etc. I had more difficulties with vocabulary, preposition,...

Nominative, ablative, ... are called cases (grammatical cases). Those cases are really different than the German ones, in German you only change the article and you put sometimes a -s or -n behind a word. In most other languages with cases, the whole semantic structure of the word changes. And Hungarian has about 16? Like Finnish or even more.

The difficult thing about Hungarian, Turkish & all non-Indo European languages is that there are no semantic similarities and grammar structure is totally different (a lot more cases, different moods, time aspects are different, etc.).
Example: we say: my book, mein buch, mon livre, mijn boek,... [possesive adjectif+noun] if you want to express this with the meaning in Hebrew, you say: the book of me.

I don't think 'cases' should influence your choice. At first, they can be hard to learn, but at the end, it easier to analyse/translate a text with cases than without (that's my opinion). You should go for a language AND culture, you really like. If you don't like the sound of it, don't choose it. Every language is difficult to learn, and it's different to each one of us.

I'm gonna study a new language too next year. I'm probably going for Hebrew (or maybe Hindi :p)! Anyways good luck!

Mackan
31st December 2011, 15:38
Greenlandic. It's extremely hard though.

Why not learn spanish, arabic or chinese? It would benefit you when applying for job.

Quent91
31st December 2011, 16:36
::ru

Yamarus
31st December 2011, 17:12
Turkish... I thought about this too (that would be funny if I could understand the turks here in germany :D), but then I saw that they got 6 (Okay, I don't really know the englisch word for it and I don't find it in the internet, so I'll call it how it could be:) falls (?). (I mean something like Akkusativ, Dativ, Genitiv...). And that's a bit... hard. We also learned the german Dativ, Genitiv, Akkusativ and Nominativ - but it was very difficult for us too and I'm not sure if I would get that...

I've started Turkish classes in September, and honestly I can tell you it's a very logical language and the main difficulty resides in the fact that it's very different from Indo-European tongues (it is agglutinative). The main difficulty, for me, is vocabulary because it's completely different except for the numerous French loanwords. The cases (the word you were looking for ;)) are not that hard to understand, because, again, they're used in a very logical manner. I *love* Turkish, it's a great language because it's at the same time very different and still relatively easy to learn (because of the Latin Alphabet). I may be wrong, but I think you can learn Turkish much faster than Arabic, Japanese or even Russian.

vatroslav_cro
31st December 2011, 17:35
I can recommend you Croatian (ok, or any other south-slavic language), they are pretty tough to learn:) hihihihihiihihi;) No, I am serious!

Stella
2nd January 2012, 11:45
I want to learn Japanese one day :) it's interesting :)

VasilijeM
2nd January 2012, 11:53
::dk xheart

SpZ
2nd January 2012, 15:54
I'd suggest something East Asian (Japanese, Korean or Chinese) or 1 of Indian languages or Arabic. Because they are cool. And East Asian languages are not as hard as they are thought to be. I am myself studying Japanese and it is not too bad (slightly difficult grammatically). Chinese should be easier grammatially, but has harder pronounciation while Korean should be easiest of them. As they pretty much dropped using hanja/kanji/hanzi (the Chinese signs).

doctormalisimo
2nd January 2012, 15:56
If you dont mind living your whole life alone and dying alone, you could learn Klingon.

Grinch
2nd January 2012, 16:26
Kicker and Klingon?

http://en.memgenerator.pl/mem-image/yeah-sure-en-ffffff/d

Kicker
2nd January 2012, 18:43
Okay, I've started learning turkish now... It's... interessting but it starts a bit hard (e-i-- -> use e and something like that :lol:) But I guess it will work :)
Thank you all!

Mackan
2nd January 2012, 19:23
Mashallah :)

Grinch
2nd January 2012, 19:49
Nice :D

Lille
3rd January 2012, 18:01
I think Hungarian is difficult (but I guess not for me :D ). I can recommend you Russian or Swedish, I love both of them :)

roadrunner1190
6th January 2012, 20:24
I'm learning Hebrew right now, and afterwards I wanna learn Japanese (which I actually started already)

stevan989
6th January 2012, 21:07
I'm not so good in languages... First, my English is not so good and I want to be better in that. Also, I like Italian and Spanish and I'm interesting to learn these languages once :D

handeyener
7th January 2012, 01:27
Currently im studying russian at university, im learning romanian by myself and i would like to learn bulgarian, portuguese and turkish...

sannerz
7th January 2012, 02:46
Yeah, I'd love to learn Swedish.

vatroslav_cro
7th January 2012, 12:09
Swedish would be good yes .... or Norwegian maybe....well there is no so big difference between them....;)

sannerz
7th January 2012, 16:56
Swedish would be good yes .... or Norwegian maybe....well there is no so big difference between them....;)

Yeah, I'd love to learn any of the Scandinavian languages. :p

vatroslav_cro
7th January 2012, 18:32
Me too... maybe Finnish would be the most interesting one....well ok it is not really a Scandinavian language....it's the Ugro-finn group...Icelandic would be good for learning also;)

sannerz
7th January 2012, 18:49
Yep, Finnish is closer to Hungarian than anything else, right?

Icelandic is still more different than the three other Scandi languages. I'd like to learn Swedish the most, since I want to move to Stockholm. :)

vatroslav_cro
7th January 2012, 21:06
Yes I learned Hungarian during elementary school, as a non-obligation subject, but hahaha...it was a long time ago and I don't really know to speak, understand some phrases (grasps) but nothing else than that....very hard language indeed;)... Finnish looks easier but I am not sure....

Lille
8th January 2012, 18:18

Right, but Finnish is difficult for us too, there are not so much similarity. :)

Asiye
9th January 2012, 16:38
I heard that Hungarian was close to Turkish, something like both of them came from the same origin :) I wonder if it's true.

By the way @Kicker, good luck on Turkish :)

I want to learn Spanish, French, Arabic, Russian and maybe Persian but i like Spanish most :) Spanish sounds very nice. I don't know why but everything about Spain attracts me :D Also I like Scandinavian languages too.

Kicker
9th January 2012, 18:22
I heard that Hungarian was close to Turkish, something like both of them came from the same origin :) I wonder if it's true.

Both Languages use Suffixes for building their sentences, so there is something close :)

SpZ
9th January 2012, 21:08

Icelandic is still more different than the three other Scandi languages. I'd like to learn Swedish the most, since I want to move to Stockholm. :)

Umm no. Finnish is far closer to the other Finno-Permic languages than to Hungarian. Eg notably Estonian, Sami languages and languages spoken in the western part of Russia.

amateur
9th January 2012, 21:53

By the way @Kicker, good luck on Turkish :)

I want to learn Spanish, French, Arabic, Russian and maybe Persian but i like Spanish most :) Spanish sounds very nice. I don't know why but everything about Spain attracts me :D Also I like Scandinavian languages too.

It is taught that both languages are in the Ural-Altaic language family in Turkish schools (Hungarian in the Uralic, Turkish in the Altaic branch), but this bull****, as there is nothing called Ural-Altaic language family and even the existence of Altaic language family itself is controversial.

But the two languages are both agglutinative as mentioned, so yes, they are similar.

Canuck
9th January 2012, 21:54
Umm no. Finnish is far closer to the other Finno-Permic languages than to Hungarian. Eg notably Estonian, Sami languages and languages spoken in the western part of Russia.

Sannerz:

The Finnic languages, Sami, and Hungarian languages are all part of the Uralic language group. Hungarian is the most spoken language of the Uralic -> Ugric subdivision by millions (the other two Ugric languages are spoken by less than 20,000 people. Therefore, rather than Finnish being closer to Hungarian, Hungarian is closer to Finnish. This doesn't go the other way around, because Estonian is more closely related to Finnish as they are both part of the Uralic --> Finnic subdivision

HOWEVER: due to the geographical distance between Hungary and Finland, I would highly doubt that there's really any mutual intelligibility between the two languages, as they've been allowed to evolve separately for thousands of years; rather, sentence structure and such is where you would find common-ground.

SpZ
9th January 2012, 23:27
Sannerz:
HOWEVER: due to the geographical distance between Hungary and Finland, I would highly doubt that there's really any mutual intelligibility between the two languages, as they've been allowed to evolve separately for thousands of years; rather, sentence structure and such is where you would find common-ground.

Indeed there isn't any

Kate77
15th March 2012, 09:32
Yeah,I would like to learn Italian :)

Nikoreindeer1973
16th March 2012, 12:03
I understand German but it's harder to write.

dezbee2008
18th March 2012, 03:26
I took Spanish class last semester (and not only because my mom's family is from Puerto Rico). I can read and understand it pretty well, but speaking and writing it weren't my strongest points. I also understand a bit of French, some German, some Dutch, and to an extent, Italian, Portuguese, and only "good evening" in Russian.

Nexos
20th March 2012, 16:07
I speak spanish, catalan, french and english. I understand a bit of German and japanese.

amateur
20th March 2012, 16:12
This thread is becoming a new version of this one (http://www.escforums.com/showthread.php/4784-Foreign-languages), so I think these two should be merged.

EvNickGR
20th March 2012, 20:09
Spanish, Italian!

ayzelto
22nd March 2012, 22:31
I can speak Spanish, Catalan and English fluently.
I've been doing French for some years too.
I'd like to learn German, Italian and Russian.