PDA

View Full Version : You know you're an ESC fan when...

r3gg13
1st September 2011, 19:49
I saw this on another forum that I stumbled upon last night. It sounds like a fun thing to have here as well.

Complete the phrase, "You know you're an ESC fan when..."

Here are mine:

You know you're an ESC fan when you know how to say thank you and good evening in at least 5 languages

You know you're an ESC fan when you you know what Super Saturday is.

You know you're an ESC fan when you've called someone by saying "good evening Europe *insert name here calling"

doctormalisimo
1st September 2011, 20:19
You know you're an ESC fan when the word Belarus is mentioned on tv, you think everyone loves that country.
You know you're an ESC fan when you consider countries that have never won as 'failed states'.
You know you're an ESC fan when people who aren't European don't matter.
You know you're an ESC fan when you know all the numbers 1-8, 10 and 12 in French.
You know you're an ESC fan when Terry Wogan's commentary isnt the highlight of the night.
You know you're an ESC fan when you clear your social calendar for the entire week of the contest.
You know you're an ESC fan when you know what the capital of Estonia is.
You know you're an ESC fan when you've actually heard of Azerbaijan while everyone else thinks 'the prison from Harry Potter?!?'
You know you're an ESC fan when you know all the words of a song in language you dont speak.
You know you're an ESC fan when May is the best month of the year.
You know you're an ESC fan when you complete the sentence 'I Love _______' with 'Belarus'.
You know you're an ESC fan when you list your address as '1273 Rockefeller Street'
You know you're an ESC fan when you genuinely think that Celine Dion is Swiss.
You know you're an ESC fan when you dont put the word 'the' in front of Eurovision.
You know you're an ESC fan when you can predict where Belgium's 12 points will go to.
You know you're an ESC fan when 'Dima Bilan' doesn't sound like some sort of skin disorder.
You know you're an ESC fan when you don't hate Jedward.
You know you're an ESC fan when you get anxious if the hosts don't repeat themselves in French.

Nikoreindeer1973
2nd September 2011, 00:15
You travel around Europe just to buy NF albums
You know which season it is when a crowd waves with balloons and flags
You know the vanishing guitar trick

94ayd
3rd September 2011, 01:36
...you start singing "AY, ┐QUIEN MANEJA MI BARCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?" in your sleep... xrofl3

escandesc
3rd September 2011, 01:43
you know the performances of all countries before Eurovision night

You know you're an ESC fan when you clear your social calendar for the entire week of the contest.

:lol: that's me. :D

r3gg13
3rd September 2011, 03:16
You know you're an ESC fan when you know all the numbers 1-8, 10 and 12 in French.

But you don't know how to say 9 or 11 en franšais :lol:

You know you're an ESC fan when you host a an ESC party during the final!
You know you're an ESC fan when (during the final party) you shush everyone when a song starts, but you keep on talking anyway.

doctormalisimo
3rd September 2011, 04:20
You know you're an ESC fan when you know what 94ayd's NSC country name means! :D

MyHeartIsYours
3rd September 2011, 04:27
LOL some of these are really funny! :lol: :lol:

Anjeza
4th September 2011, 11:08
... when your next holiday destination depends on the location of the next ESC
... when you can pronounce city names like ReykjavÝk or Tbilisi correctly
... when you are a member of this forum :D

Charly
4th September 2011, 21:32
... When you Annoy Your Sister xrofl3

r3gg13
4th September 2011, 21:37
... when you name your things after ESC stars

Sabiondo
4th September 2011, 22:39
you're ESC fan when you blame Russia every year when get 12's from almost all his ex-Soviet countries

you're ESC fan when you booed that Greece geting the 12 points of Cyprus every year.

you're ESC fan when when you lay blindness your nation :)

r3gg13
6th September 2011, 17:27
... when you think that songs over 3 minutes long are forbidden under all circumstances.

Yamarus
6th September 2011, 21:33
You know you're an ESC fan when your iPod playing on random means you get an ESC song half of the time.

Mickey
11th September 2011, 00:55
... when you unwittingly become an expert on Eastern European diaspora.
... when during the music round at your local pub quiz you wrack your brain for the name of a tune, only to realise you're thinking of a Eurovision song it couldn't possibly be.
... when asked to name a song by Lulu, you don't say "Shout".
... when you know the year of the Portuguese revolution.
... when you understand why Israel are in the contest.

Mickey
11th September 2011, 01:00
You know you're an ESC fan when the word Belarus is mentioned on tv, you think everyone loves that country.

This is my favourite.

aja675
11th September 2011, 14:48
This is my favourite.

My fave too. :lol:

Yamarus
16th September 2011, 17:51
You know you're an ESC fan when you're not surprised the top comment on 90% of ESC Youtube videos is "This should have won!!".

Stella
17th September 2011, 18:46
you're an esc fan when you give every detail to someone who mentioned eurovision
you're an esc fan when you know how everything will look on stage before seeing it on tv :lol:

Anjeza
17th September 2011, 19:34
... when you know the name of every European country in French

Mickey
14th December 2011, 21:10
... you're revising for an exam in pensions and end up learning government legislation by associating it with Eurovision songs from that year.

r3gg13
14th December 2011, 21:15
... when you try to fit your friends' names in ESC song lyrics.

Milos-BC
17th December 2011, 16:04
...you sometimes count years by ESC standard (so the next year begins when ESC from the current year ends :lol:) :D

dezbee2008
18th March 2012, 04:35
... You watch the news and everytime you see one of the countries on TV, the entry plays in your head. (this happens to me a lot)
... You though Euro Neuro was about the euro
... You watch the Olympics and immediately you play the entry associated with each country (only European ones)
... You watch an international event and you internally give out 12, 10, 8, etc to you top 10 favorites for anything

That's all I have.

ParadiseES
21st March 2012, 12:03
... You watch an international event and you internally give out 12, 10, 8, etc to you top 10 favorites for anything

hahaha I do this a lot!

ParadiseES
21st March 2012, 12:04
You know you're an ESC fan when you don't hate Jedward.

Then I'm not an ESC fan....

alca
21st March 2012, 13:41
Then I'm not an ESC fan....

Second that! :lol:

Jukica
21st March 2012, 13:56
... You watch the Olympics and immediately you play the entry associated with each country (only European ones)

Lol I agree for these :D

LakZaNokte
21st March 2012, 15:17
...in a year like this one (european football championship + olimpics), esc is still the biggest event for you

vatroslav_cro
21st March 2012, 21:28
....you defend your song from the other negative comments and "trashing" LOOOOOOOOOOL;)

Stargazer
22nd March 2012, 18:30
...you can sing along (and know the lyrics by heart) to songs in Turkish, Greek, Hebrew, French, Finnish, Italian, Portuguese, Estonian, Croatian, Serbian (etc) despite not speaking any of these languages or knowing what the heck you're singing about.

Anjeza
22nd March 2012, 20:28
...you can sing along (and know the lyrics by heart) to songs in Turkish, Greek, Hebrew, French, Finnish, Italian, Portuguese, Estonian, Croatian, Serbian (etc) despite not speaking any of these languages or knowing what the heck you're singing about.

xyeah

...when you start telephone calls with "Good evening X, this is Y calling."

Stargazer
22nd March 2012, 22:42
^ Hehe

...somebody says a European country in English and you feel the urge to repeat it in French and award it points.

r3gg13
30th March 2012, 07:38
...when you start rating everything a 12 point scale

Jukica
30th March 2012, 07:57

I definitely agree with this one :lol:

Salmon
30th March 2012, 12:34
You're a real ESC fan when you realize that there is actually something called 'reallife' somewhen between the 31st of May and the 1st of September.

daniels1000
6th June 2012, 12:25

Agree! :D

Completely agree :)

and when I start to make my Top 42 and when I can't do anything at the day of Eurovision because I'm too excited :mrgreen:

alca
6th June 2012, 13:31
...when you get PESD/PEB this time every year! (Post Eurovision Stress Disorder/Post Eurovision Blues)

Mickey
6th June 2012, 21:06
... you refer to all Great Britain sports teams as the United Kingdom.

doctormalisimo
6th June 2012, 21:51
When #followmeTommotwins is trending on twitter and you immediately think of the Tomalchevy twins...

Filip
6th June 2012, 23:14
...when you've watched all the songs before the contest.

Terence
7th June 2012, 00:49
...when you purchase 2/3 sets of bunting flags of all participating countries!

...when all the members of your family learn the songs due to serious overplay

...when you think of the French Eurovision song whenever you meet a French person; the German song when you meet a German person etc.

(guilty of all 3)

Milos-BC
7th June 2012, 10:27
^^ I totally agree with this :D

Or also - when the French entry is played, you think of a French person you met, when the Swedish entry is played, you think of the Swedish person you met, etc etc, etc........:D

Terence
7th June 2012, 15:16
exactly.... I'm recalling the 2012 Serbian entry as I'm typing this!

Yamarus
8th June 2012, 23:43
When you casually play a reasonably obscure ESC song at a party, just to check if people notice.

EscTurkey
8th June 2012, 23:52
...when the winning song becomes a hit in your country and you just can't shout I KNEW IT BEFORE Y'ALL !!

CPV4931
9th June 2012, 00:04
...when the winning song becomes a hit in your country and you just can't shout I KNEW IT BEFORE Y'ALL !!

Indeed ^^

Grinch
9th June 2012, 00:12
... you see the letters MF somewhere and immediately think of Melodifestivalen.

"I was listening to this song before it was cool" :D

MyHeartIsYours
11th June 2012, 04:27
When you casually play a reasonably obscure ESC song at a party, just to check if people notice.
xyeah

alca
12th June 2012, 00:11

Happens ALL THE TIME and I'm like --> -.- because I heard the song MONTHS ago and I hate it when people suddenly LOVE it! I'm like "COME ON!". For example I was with my two best friends in March 2010 and I played Moldova's entry. I said hey listen to this and they didn't pay attention to me. After the ESC they both came to me saying "oh I love Moldova's entry!" me: "I played this song to you guys" "Really? When?" gggggggggrrrrrrrr -.-

Rose82
12th June 2012, 00:45
When you are watching matches from euro 2012, and during the match you can only think about the songs of the countries you're watching...

A-lister
12th June 2012, 03:30
I love this thread! Some comments are hilarious :lol:

Why haven't I seen it before??

A-lister
12th June 2012, 03:32
You know you're an ESC fan when (during the final party) you shush everyone when a song starts, but you keep on talking anyway.

Haha, that is SOOO me!! I hate people talking and destroying my ONCE a year experience, but then I just have to comment things anyways :lol:

A-lister
12th June 2012, 03:36
...in a year like this one (european football championship + olimpics), esc is still the biggest event for you

WORD!

A-lister
12th June 2012, 03:39
Happens ALL THE TIME and I'm like --> -.- because I heard the song MONTHS ago and I hate it when people suddenly LOVE it! I'm like "COME ON!". For example I was with my two best friends in March 2010 and I played Moldova's entry. I said hey listen to this and they didn't pay attention to me. After the ESC they both came to me saying "oh I love Moldova's entry!" me: "I played this song to you guys" "Really? When?" gggggggggrrrrrrrr -.-

Haha this happens to me with music in general. I tend to look up new music quite fast, and when some songs actually becomes hits or known to the public, I'm like... meh... already heard this some month ago :lol:

A-lister
12th June 2012, 03:46
All these fits into me :lol: :

... You know you're an ESC fan when you want to travel to countries based on how much you liked their ESC entries
... You know you're an ESC fan when you listened through all ESC entries from 1956- and rank the songs in lists
... You know you're an ESC fan when you say to your friend that country "x" or "y" chose the wrong entry from their national selection and your friend look at you like "hmm... but this is their entry right?"
... You know you're an ESC fan when you listened to all songs from national selections
... You know you're an ESC fan when you have a yearly procedure regarding WHEN you allow yourself to listen to the songs and what to do during ESC week
... You know you're an ESC fan when the new year starts after the ESC finale and you're already concerned with what countries will enter next year, who will participate etc.
... You know you're an ESC fan when you explain to outsiders that this is not a schlager contest

alca
12th June 2012, 12:51
When you are watching matches from euro 2012, and during the match you can only think about the songs of the countries you're watching...

Indeed! Last night I was like ok Loreen is muuuuch better than Gaitana! :lol:

alca
12th June 2012, 12:51

... You know you're an ESC fan when you want to travel to countries based on how much you liked their ESC entries

That's me! :lol:

EscGeek
12th June 2012, 15:48

this is so true it's scary!:lol:

AdelAdel
12th June 2012, 22:14
... You know you're an ESC fan when you listened through all ESC entries from 1956- and rank the songs in lists

I did that some time ago :D

dezbee2008
13th June 2012, 03:19

Yep, that's exactly what's been happening with me.

Terence
13th June 2012, 15:35
I used the same ESC bunting flags for the Euro 2012...!!! I didn't want to store them all for next May, so any excuse for the flags to come out is perfect for me :lol:

Anjeza
13th June 2012, 19:16

... You know you're an ESC fan when you say to your friend that country "x" or "y" chose the wrong entry from their national selection and your friend look at you like "hmm... but this is their entry right?"
... You know you're an ESC fan when the new year starts after the ESC finale and you're already concerned with what countries will enter next year, who will participate etc.
... You know you're an ESC fan when you explain to outsiders that this is not a schlager contest

THIS! :lol:

CaraMia
17th June 2012, 23:24
When you have a college test where you have to make an essay about multiculturalism and globalization and you mention the cases of Tooji (an Iranian) and Loreen (a person of Moroccan origin) representing Norway and Sweden in Eurovision, respectively.

RainyWoods
18th June 2012, 23:15
When your friends tell you to stop talking about Rona Nishliu 3 weeks after the competition has ended.

alca
19th June 2012, 00:50
...when you keep coming back here daily 365 days a year! :D

alca
31st October 2012, 20:20
...when you're at biochemistry class, reading a sequence of amino acids on the whiteboard, one of them is Lysine which is abbreviated as Lys and all you can think of is that Lys Assia competes in the Swiss NF and you keep repeating "hello, how is the flow?"!!

DimitrisLoveIvi
31st October 2012, 21:37
when you take the whole living room to watch the contest yourself :mrgreen:

CypriotGirl
10th November 2012, 17:40
...when you meet with your cousin who is also a big ESC fan and try to say each year's top 10! And sometimes the whole final from 1-26! :lol:

...when your cousin sends you a message around February/March and tells you "pote tha erthis na Eurovizionistoume?" (when will you come to get ourselves Eurovisionized?) xrofl2

randajad
11th November 2012, 20:50
...when you talk about Estonian music, although your question was about the North-European culture.

Matt
11th November 2012, 20:53
Voted. It's getting harder and harder. :D
Top 5:
::hr ::fr ::it ::de ::se
1998 1977 1958 1982 1974

;) I think I know where this post was supposed to go

randajad
11th November 2012, 21:07
;) I think I know where this post was supposed to go
Yup, I was viewing both pages at the same time. I've edited my post, and posted that one on the proper place. :D

Terence
14th November 2012, 15:08
A latest one for me...

You know you're an ESC fan when - in between Eurovision seasons - you pick up a random year and create your own personal Eurovision, including your own running order, points and crown your personal winner

That's what I've been doing lately - 1996 next in line

r3gg13
18th November 2012, 18:44
When you sing everything that rhymes with the word "celebrate" to the tune of Celebrate by Daria Kinzer

r3gg13
21st February 2013, 22:42
When you're crying over the fact that Adelen didn't win the Norwegian NF xcry

EscGeek
22nd June 2013, 18:01
when you hear an euovision name in the background and totally ignore the video (happened to me) :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVD6LYWzavQ

esc87fan
22nd June 2013, 20:03
You know you're an ESC fan...

...when you watch "The Price Is Right" the Friday before the final and you score the game results with Eurovision points (12 points for a win, 0 for a loss, a certain number of points for a partial win) True story, my British friend and I started doing that last year via Skype

...when you follow a country after it wins its national final all the way to the contest and you get so excited and invested in said country/song...only to get disappointed that it didn't qualify for the final or came close to qualifying

wyq614
22nd June 2013, 21:51
In China you know you are a Eurovision fan when:

- You can tell all the European flags while none of your friends are able to.
- You know how to break censorship and download youtube videos
- You rate things (projects, beauties) not with 1-10 points, but with 1-8,10,12.
- You are unable to sleep until 3 am on the Saturdays of May.