PDA

View Full Version : Which "favorites" will fail?

Earthland
12th May 2011, 13:41
So... every year there are a couple of songs that are predicted to reach a high place, even win, but will eventually not even qualify or will be amongst the last ones in the final.

I predict that France will fail. Impressive voice and different song are not what bring the success if the song is actually not liked by the masses. Oh, I'm sure that most people think it is a good song and so, but not many people come to mind who would actually put it on their ipods. Ipodishness (yes, I invented that word just now) is what defines success at eurovision.

So I think France will be somewhere between 10th and 20th place, which is a failure compared to the predictions.

I also think UK will not do as good as people think it will. I predict it will be around 7th place.

And Sweden will be somewhere near France.

HeadsWillRoll
12th May 2011, 13:43
I think Estonia will fail. Regardless of its ipodfulness, it's still terrible live.

Earthland
12th May 2011, 13:49
Rehearsal videos are not good predictors :P .

eerik
12th May 2011, 13:51
Any place in the final between 2nd and 25th would be great for Estonia.

EvNickGR
12th May 2011, 13:52
I think Estonia (if pass) and Hungary.

FallenAngelII
12th May 2011, 15:26
Sweden is the "favourite" I predict will fail the worst. Because I predict the juries will completely snub it, which means it has to get the people's, like, 5th place in the semi-final to even make the final.

babadabada
12th May 2011, 16:05
So... every year there are a couple of songs that are predicted to reach a high place, even win, but will eventually not even qualify or will be amongst the last ones in the final.

I predict that France will fail. Impressive voice and different song are not what bring the success if the song is actually not liked by the masses. Oh, I'm sure that most people think it is a good song and so, but not many people come to mind who would actually put it on their ipods. Ipodishness (yes, I invented that word just now) is what defines success at eurovision.

So I think France will be somewhere between 10th and 20th place, which is a failure compared to the predictions.

I also think UK will not do as good as people think it will. I predict it will be around 7th place.

And Sweden will be somewhere near France.

Because you think Molitva was ipodishness? Don't think so, France is a sure Top 5 finisher!!

I think sweden will fall, as ireland will!!

dogmeat
12th May 2011, 16:21
It's kind of copy of "Kate Ryan" thread. Anyway...

I don't think "ipodishness" matters. The goal is to impress people in these 3 minutes, what happens after that makes no difference.
I also wouldn't say France is not liked by the masses. Sognu is actually a perfect example how you can successfully "mainstreamize" classical music and make it appealing to wide audience. Both juries' and televoters' 1st favorite, is my prediction.

Earthland
12th May 2011, 16:30
I don't think "ipodishness" matters. The goal is to impress people in these 3 minutes, what happens after that makes no difference.

Yes, exactly. And I can't imagine that someone would listen France first time and would immediately want this song to his/hers ipod. I've heard it many times and I still have no plans of that kind. I know noone who has, actually.

Strangely enough Rockefeller street is the only song on my mp3 and I think that this is also the most ipodish song in general. Sweden got close to my mp3, but that song actully works only with the video.

asia
12th May 2011, 16:35
france is a pretty good song and will do well with the juries, there is no way it will finish lower than tenth. estonia is second favourite in the contest and its the worst of the three baltic songs, if she gets past tonight its going to be a miracle. Other than that i see no other flounderers.......azerbaijan to win!!!!

doctormalisimo
12th May 2011, 20:09
The goal is to impress people in these 3 minutes, what happens after that makes no difference.

yeah, that^^
Most viewers aren't ESC fanatics, so they will only hear the songs for the first time tonight. So the winning songs are the ones that make the greatest impact in those 3 minutes.

Quent91
12th May 2011, 20:23
Belgium will fail

JackBauer
12th May 2011, 23:27
I loosing more and more confidence in France every day, right now i'd happy with a top ten lol

alefein
13th May 2011, 10:15
I think the Swedish and Estonia songs will not be doing that good because they both sucked live. Or well, they were decent when it came to stage performance and all that, but they are not good singers at all. Eric Saade was obviously having trouble breathing because he was dancing pretty powerfully, and the Estonian one just doesn't have a strong voice live.

I don't know if Lena is a favorite or not, but I won't be expecting her to do good things..

MyHeartIsYours
13th May 2011, 22:34
France and Hungary imo :). When I say France, I think it'll be 5th which of course is far from failure but it is when they're expecting to win.

Synergise
13th May 2011, 22:35
UK. After THAT jury performance, I can't imagine they'll even get a top 10 finish :(

Quent91
13th May 2011, 22:36
UK will flop because of bad vocals

VenOM__
13th May 2011, 22:47
UK will flop because of bad vocals

Agree with you Quent! UK vocals are very weak.

Charley
13th May 2011, 23:51
United Kingdom. It will flop, but not only because of bad vocals, but the fact that their 'fame' is not (or at least no longer) as big as their supporter have convinced themselves of. Neutral indicators like Google's prediction tool or YT view counts simply don't support the notion that Blue is still particularly popular in Europe.

QwaarJet
14th May 2011, 00:28
Hungary will sink without a trace. So will Ireland now that I think about it. And if the jury have crapped on Blue, then they will fail as well. There is always a possibility that France will fail, but I think It's 70-30 in it's favour.

Sabiondo
14th May 2011, 00:45
UK-Sweden and France.. pluss Germany and Italy also can fail...

Grinch
14th May 2011, 00:56
^ So who do you think is gonna win? :D

Hegepege
14th May 2011, 01:01
Sweden, Estonia and Hungary! :D

Sabiondo
14th May 2011, 01:10
^ So who do you think is gonna win? :D

http://www.webdibujos.com/images/dibujos-ninos-musica-tambor-p.gif

Joyride
14th May 2011, 01:10
Not sure, I gotta feeling *sing* ... that tonight's gonna be :D ... Ireland & UK who'll fail. Jedward may be too crazy for the people watching them for the first time and Blue isn't that strong in their live performance.

Synergise
14th May 2011, 01:14
Not sure, I gotta feeling *sing* ... that tonight's gonna be :D ... Ireland & UK who'll fail. Jedward may be too crazy for the people watching them for the first time and Blue isn't that strong in their live performance.

I really don't know about the UK. I think they could still do well, or quite possibly, fail hard. As for Jedward, I can't see them winning, but I think they'll break into the top 10. For them, I don't think they'll see that as 'failing'. Even Blue probably wouldn't, given the UK's reputation over the past 10 years :p

94ayd
14th May 2011, 15:36
From the finalists - ::uk, ::se and ::hu. ;)

EvNickGR
14th May 2011, 16:43
maybe Ireland...

Hegepege
15th May 2011, 01:50
Sweden, Estonia and Hungary! :D

2/3, not bad! Just happy Sweden didn't win :D

Synergise
15th May 2011, 02:03
So apparently, all of them except Azerbaijan :p

doctormalisimo
15th May 2011, 02:07
::ee were the most epic of the failures
::fr and ::hu did badly too.

asia
15th May 2011, 09:51
well azerbaijan finally got what they deserved, but ukraine,moldova and georgia doing so well..... All i can say is europeans have a good sense of humour lol. Reports from the french tv spokesman already crying france will withdraw :s if france do, take the uk and spain with you :p cant believe poland finished last in the first semi final.....

kotten
15th May 2011, 11:40
well azerbaijan finally got what they deserved, but ukraine,moldova and georgia doing so well..... All i can say is europeans have a good sense of humour lol. Reports from the french tv spokesman already crying france will withdraw :s if france do, take the uk and spain with you :p cant believe poland finished last in the first semi final.....

Give them a couple of days/weeks to recover from this...I don't see France withdrawing, if so they are sour losers. They didn't exactly end at 25th either. Germany has had a bad track record from years and you didn't see them withdrawing.

Joyride
15th May 2011, 13:30
Ireland & UK

Just as I predicted! ;)

Earthland
15th May 2011, 14:14
Well, actually all the favorites failed... a strange year.

Asiye
15th May 2011, 14:48
Really strange year. I think UK, France and Estonia's results were the most shocking in the final. I knew Estonia wouldn't win but i never thought that it would get such a result :/

asia
15th May 2011, 15:33
but the uk and estonian entries sounded awful live, and were slightly out of tune, the french song was wobbly at the start.....hungry and azerbaijan too were not so great on the night....... I think in general this year it was a bit of a mess for everyone, and thats why we saw the smallest difference between first and last place since 1965, and there was a lot less countries in then. Aww well baku 2012..... :)

Nike
16th May 2011, 01:45
Loool at anyone who said Sweden will fail... Eric know how to shut up people!:lol::mrgreen:

Isabella
16th May 2011, 02:30
French result is not shocking for me :p I was more shocked that so many people thought France can win with that song :lol:
Estonian result is the most shocking.