PDA

View Full Version : No internal selections allowed starting from ESC 2013

Sim
6th May 2011, 05:43
Starting next year each national broadcaster needs to involve the audience in the choice of an entry for the Eurovision Song Contest, Thomas Schreiber of German broadcaster NDR announced. The EBU confirmed. A pure internal selection of artist and song is no longer allowed from the Eurovision Song Contest 2012 on.
"One person at BBC can no longer decide on his own which band and which song will represent the United Kingdom in the Eurovision Song Contest," Thomas Schreiber of German broadcasters NDR refers to this year's internal selections of Blue for the Eurovision Song Contest 2011 with the song I Can.

Starting next year all broadcasters will have to involve the audience in one or the other way in the choice of an entry for the Eurovision Song Contest. Each broadcaster will have to offer the audience the choice between a minimum of two artists, or if the broadcaster prefers to select one artist internally, offer them the choice between a minimum of two songs.

source: belgovision.com

Sean
6th May 2011, 08:52
So because we went internal for the first time in over 50 years suddenly there's a huge rule change?

Ok....:?

Milos-BC
6th May 2011, 10:13
WTF :? This is quite a bad rule I must say. I totally disagree with it. Everyone should have right to choose the way of selecting the entry for the country, no matter if it is internal or not.

broomhelga
6th May 2011, 12:20
Most of the better songs this year have been internal selections. I think the broadcasters should be able to choose their songs however they want (although no voterigging... i'm looking at you Ukraine).

94ayd
6th May 2011, 12:24
Well, having more NFs to watch is a good thing, I just hope they'll be well-prepared since some might boycott this rule and make a laughable NF or something in protest...

dogmeat
6th May 2011, 13:34
Coutries planning to go internally should just give audience a choice between the selected song and a cow mooing on stage.

Sim
6th May 2011, 14:40
I also find this a stupid rule (if this would really happen)

Let the broadcasters decides themselves,

nikolay_BG
6th May 2011, 14:59
I agree with this rule. The public should have a saying which song to represent the country. I think the turkish fans will like that rule ;)

lucian-crusher
6th May 2011, 16:00
Coutries planning to go internally should just give audience a choice between the selected song and a cow mooing on stage.

+1, but what if the people realise that and vote for the mooing cow just to make despite to the broadcaster? :lol:

Sim
6th May 2011, 16:03
+1, but what if the people realise that and vote for the mooing cow just to make despite to the broadcaster? :lol:
then we will have a cow on ESC:D

mooh mooh moooh 12 points:D

r3gg13
6th May 2011, 17:30
That's interesting as a rule, but I think this would discourage some countries who don't want to spend money on an NF.

I wanna say that this rule isn't really needed. We're doing fine as it is. Sometimes internal selection gives good songs, sometimes it doesn't- same goes to NF (I'm looking at you Portugal :mrgreen:)

Quent91
6th May 2011, 17:49
Internal selections give the ESC more quality songs (Kaas, Blue, Vassili, Wolf, Vinnikova (lol)).

Sim
6th May 2011, 18:26
Internal selections give the ESC more quality songs (Kaas, Blue, Vassili, Wolf, Vinnikova (lol)).

and let's not forget tom dice:D

Sabiondo
6th May 2011, 18:28
and let's not forget tom dice:D

And Serebro, Dima Bilan, Ruslana, Tina Karol , Ani Lorak and goes on...¡¡ i thing that is an ridicoulus rugle...¡¡¡

Mickey
6th May 2011, 18:42
That's interesting as a rule, but I think this would discourage some countries who don't want to spend money on an NF.

Good point. I don't think Slovakia or Hungary would be participating if the rule was in place this year.

It may also discourage big name acts from entering for UK, France etc, which in turn affects ESC's public profile. Eurovision is risky business for an established act and I can fully understand the likes of Blue wanting to make sure nothing's left to chance.

lucian-crusher
6th May 2011, 19:33
And Serebro, Dima Bilan, Ruslana, Tina Karol , Ani Lorak and goes on...¡¡ i thing that is an ridicoulus rugle...¡¡¡

What do you mean? Ani Lorak was intyernal but the song was chosen in a NF, so it can still be done. They can chose the artist internally, but they must have a NF for the song.

Lenalite
6th May 2011, 21:48
What a great idea! Happy to hear that. I think this way will be better. So, people can choose their favourite to represent their country. =)

Jukica
6th May 2011, 22:15
Bad rule :( I think

MyHeartIsYours
7th May 2011, 00:16
This is an incredibly silly rule and I believe it's being introduced for very selfish reasons!

doctormalisimo
7th May 2011, 01:10
Hmm.....mixed feelings about this. It's good that the public has a say in how they want to be represented, but I think every broadcaster should have the right to do whatever they damn well want to.

Narmina
7th May 2011, 19:10
I'm against the ban of internal selections. I prefer when the song and the singer is selected by professional jury. This year we had a public selection process and lost some amazing singers during it. Happy that Eldar & Nigar went to the final. So I hope it won't be truth

Grinch
8th May 2011, 02:01
I agree with this rule. The public should have a saying which song to represent the country. I think the turkish fans will like that rule ;)

Yes yes and yes! I'm sick of that dictatorship of TRT (our broadcaster). We want national final. But this is only us. Every country has right to choose the best way for themselves. Internal selections work better for some countries such as UK, France.

AlekS
8th May 2011, 02:27
I saw that interview in its original source.
It was taken out of context and this is just a (stupid, I must say) wishful thinking of certain officials.

EBU didn't confirm anything.

Cooler
10th May 2011, 15:15
This is stupid, how will Bosnia choose? xD

I remember there was some NF few years ago when, in the one moment, all lines have been dead! :lol:

Quent91
11th May 2011, 22:39
Apparently, they discuss on escforum.net that there is a video showing Svante nr2 comfirming that... that's the end of several countries (::sk, ::hu, ::sm, ::ad, ::by,...)

DoctorX
12th May 2011, 19:39
YES! That all i wanted for years... I guess its a rumor, but is worth to believe on my side :D Wish it turns out to be true....

Quent91
12th May 2011, 19:50
I'm against this rule :( Many countries won't be able to hold a national final :( and thus will withdraw and we'll have an ESC with 30 or less countries :(

DoctorX
12th May 2011, 20:02
Actually almost all the small countries like Albania, Macedonia, Moldova, Baltic countries hold NFs. It'll probably make a difference only for San Marino and will encourage Turkey France and some other internaloholics to give public a chance on their own representatives.. It's wrong if it started to be discussed because of the only internal selection of UK in years, when France, Turkey and some others keep doing it for years. But it seems all positive for my country for me :)

AlekS
13th May 2011, 22:03
Imo, certain countries like the UK, France and Belgium make their best choices when they select internally.

xwoo Our scandals will never end :D :D :D

ps. Turkey will be the next Ukraine in terms of fuss around the NFs. I think like Jamala - few days ago she said if Turkey has a NF it will cause neverending scandals every year ))) (also it's nice to see that she follows different NFs).

DoctorX
13th May 2011, 22:14
I'd consent all possible fuss just for having a more democratic way of choosing :D

^Why did she state something like that suddenly BTW? :lol

AlekS
14th May 2011, 00:30
^ Not suddenly, she was on a talk show dedicated to ESC and she's been asked if Turkey asked her to represent them... she said no but even if she's been asked by TRT she wouldn't said yes ... then she said that TRT decides everything without asking people, if they asked people they would received even bigger scandals than here )))
Then she said that she wants to represent Ukraine only and other stuff...

ps. Believe me, even if it's democratic way you'll still see people who are going to scream that it's bought, it's all set up etc., other performer should have been chosen instead of that wh-re/*************** then you'll get a different attitude of European fans saying that we should boycott Turkey because of such selection (like ordinary bs is not enough) etc etc etc...

Misterbio
14th May 2011, 07:56
It would be a bad rule

CPV4931
16th May 2011, 18:53
I like to watch NFs, but it wouldn´t be good, when it will be a compulsory.
Many small countries - f.e. San Marino - won´t be able to hold a NF, i think.

Quent91
16th May 2011, 19:55
Some countries will presure EBU to avoid this rule

DoctorX
16th May 2011, 20:56
Dont give up EBU. im with you with all my heart :D

Sahistul
16th May 2011, 22:02
I think a more democratic way in order to choose the ESC singers it's a solutiion.

dizzydjc
19th May 2011, 19:06
Has this actually been confirmed then? I sincerely hope not, stupid decision (with the exception of Turkey who should at least have a NF at some point!)

No Name
19th May 2011, 19:43
How can forcing each country to hold an NF be a democratic solution? Using democracy as an argument is imo very contradicting. I'm against it (if you haven't figured that out already).

Every broadcaster should have their freedom to choose their entry the way they want to, whether it be from dozens and dozens of semi- and quarterfinals or just doing it internally. Anything else is just stupid...EBU can't dictate which way is the right one and definitely shouldn't.

I know this will sound almost blasphemic to most of you, but National Festivals are quite overrated. Very often the best songs are found internally, so I'd actually encourage more countries to do it internally, even my own country.

Avitas
21st May 2011, 16:24
I think it´s a good rule considering how broadcasters order songs - like Azerbaijan every year turn to Sweden to have a tailormade winning candidate. Let´s face it - all of Azerbaijan´s Swedish songs wouldn´t even have made it past Melodifestivalen semi finals. In this respect, allowing audiences a say in who´s representing them will maybe counter this somehow and hopefully result in more "national" songs...?

Milos-BC
22nd May 2011, 09:47
How can forcing each country to hold an NF be a democratic solution? Using democracy as an argument is imo very contradicting. I'm against it (if you haven't figured that out already).

Every broadcaster should have their freedom to choose their entry the way they want to, whether it be from dozens and dozens of semi- and quarterfinals or just doing it internally. Anything else is just stupid...EBU can't dictate which way is the right one and definitely shouldn't.

I know this will sound almost blasphemic to most of you, but National Festivals are quite overrated. Very often the best songs are found internally, so I'd actually encourage more countries to do it internally, even my own country.

Totally agree. xcheers

Yamarus
30th May 2011, 00:10
I think the idea is ridiculous. I mean, each broadcaster should be free to select their entry in the way they see fit.

lucian-crusher
30th May 2011, 17:18
The broadcasters can ask TVR how to do it their own way! Make a NF but arrange the winner to be whoever you want! :lol:

I like NFs and I wouldn't imagine a year without one for ::ro. All the drama and scandals, love them! :lol:

Grinch
4th June 2011, 16:01
^ Not suddenly, she was on a talk show dedicated to ESC and she's been asked if Turkey asked her to represent them... she said no but even if she's been asked by TRT she wouldn't said yes ... then she said that TRT decides everything without asking people, if they asked people they would received even bigger scandals than here )))

She's right and it's a plus for me. Scandals will take Turks' attention for ESC much more :twisted: And why Turkey would ask her, was she born here or what?

sophielou
15th June 2011, 22:41
It seems all the more unfair that this rule seems to be targetting the UK specifically. Prior to 2011 we have ALWAYS held NFs. It's not fair to make all the other countries suffer just because we decided to have an internal selection this year.

“The ESC only has a real future, if you ask me, if it is taken seriously on a musical level. It can become the biggest show in the world. But only if the respective countries, and also those, which are important for pop music, take the competition seriously. Included in that is, that it is not a single BBC editor who choses a band and a song.”

The best way for it to be taken seriously on a music level is if countries can choose their best artists as opposed to whoever the public take a fancy on the NF selection night. I don't see how it is the EBU's business how the individual broadcasters select their country's entrants, especially since they are the ones who have to pay for the privilage. There are some countries in the ESC who can't afford to host NFs and entrants chosen by the public are usually not as good as the internally selected because they are often less established artists with songs not fully backed by the music industry. Therefore I think this could damage the quality of music in ESC rather than improve it.

I doubt this rule will stick very long as I foresee too many countries complaining about it.

Quent91
16th June 2011, 17:02
:twisted: :evil: THIS RULE IS A JOKE :evil: :twisted:

Mickey
17th June 2011, 19:02
Has anyone seen this news posted anywhere other than that one site?

This time last year, Russia were entering the big 4. Until I see this new rule confirmed by eurovision.tv or ESCtoday, I won't believe it.

sophielou
17th June 2011, 22:11
I think the BBC have already slammed this rule and said it isn't happening. I hope they're right because us Brits might actually start sending in some decent entries like Jade Ewan and Blue, as long as we keep the British public out of the selection process. :D

Liam
19th June 2011, 16:13
I think the BBC have already slammed this rule and said it isn't happening. I hope they're right because us Brits might actually start sending in some decent entries like Jade Ewan and Blue, as long as we keep the British public out of the selection process. :D

Or maybe the UK can just make better NFs? :lol: Without Scooch in the NF - why were they even there btw? - Cyndi would've been sent. If the public had no crap to choose from, they couldn't and wouldn't choose crap :D

doctormalisimo
19th June 2011, 21:02
If the public had no crap to choose from, they couldn't and wouldn't choose crap :D

That is a fantastic sentence. NFs aren't crap. The singers/songs in NFs are crap. If certain broadcasters (the Beeb and RTÉ come to mind) put more effort into their NFs and try to find actual talent, then those countries wouldn't be sending crap every year :)

sophielou
19th June 2011, 21:40
Or maybe the UK can just make better NFs? :lol: Without Scooch in the NF - why were they even there btw? - Cyndi would've been sent. If the public had no crap to choose from, they couldn't and wouldn't choose crap :D

A very apt point! :D

I do wonder why it is that the BBC allowed clearly bad entries into the NFs, not least because the British people tend to vote for them just for a laugh. I think it's the same for Ireland, or at least it was the case when they had Dustin the Chicken. The UK is a musical enough country to round up some proper talent and we can make the NFs run longer than one or two nights like we did when we selected Jade Ewan -- ALW made sure all the crap went before it even got to the NFs. Something which Pete Waterman failed to do. Result = Joe Whatshisname.

Yes, I think the BBC must take some blame for putting in some genuine junk into the past NFs that the British people can vote for in a fit of madness. However I think Internal Selection might be interesting to try for a couple of years - as long as ESC isn't stamping them out - to see whether the BBC do at least pick decent entries rather than leaving it to the mercy of the public. It's easier for us though 'cause the UK can afford long drawn out NFs.

MyHeartIsYours
20th June 2011, 01:28
I dont think it's fair to talk about Scooch like that. A lot of people just genuinely liked Scooch, as I did - I was like soooo happy when I realised it wasnt Cyndi but was Scooch - and really they deserved to do much better at Eurovision. Just because they finished 23rd doesnt mean that there is a problem with us :).

With the future, I find MYMU style NF's to be a pretty boring format tbh, and as I've said loads it should be X Factor style starting in Autumn with Auditions, then Bootcamp, then Judge's Houses, etc. And then after New Year, the live shows start and last until March when we have our winner. It'd get uber amounts of viewers for the BBC and would increase Eurovision popularity here.
And then if this ridiculous rule about no internal selections comes true but we want a Celebrity entry, we could either keep the X Factor style every year but every other year have a special celebrity entrant in the final or we could have a NF with just the Celebrity act every two years and let them sing a few songs and see the most popular.

sophielou
20th June 2011, 03:17
A lot of people just genuinely liked Scooch.

Yeah, but a lot of people genuinely felt embarassed by them too - like me. It felt like they belonged on a Cheese Album rather than a true representation of what we listen to in the UK. The lyrics of their song haunt me to this day. :o

I've said loads it should be X Factor style starting in Autumn with Auditions, then Bootcamp, then Judge's Houses, etc. And then after New Year, the live shows start and last until March when we have our winner. It'd get uber amounts of viewers for the BBC and would increase Eurovision popularity here.

The only problem with that is that this is the BBC, not ITV. I don't think they'll want the X Factor on their backs for "stealing" their format. I suppose they could so something like Fame Academy. Another problem is that the BBC Autumn is filled up enough so it wouldn't get primetime slot on BBC One. Plus Autumn is the same time the Live shows start for the X Factor and if the BBC did do something like this, it would be to hammer the last nail into ITV's coffin as it were. By which I mean the BBC would want to have already started their live shows.

I definately see the appeal of your idea. I do think that the Beeb would want use it to try and steal ITV viewers, though. The X Factor is slowly going stale as the winners get the Christmas number one before disappearing into the wilderness. If 'Your Country Needs You' went this way then it should try to find its entry just before Christmas because a gap between then and March is a bit too big. So choose the entrant before New Years. Then it could kick off in March again with the winner's journey touring Europe and promotiong the song right up until the ESC.

It should be marketed as a great way to get an internation career launched. That might coax more proper record producers back into the mix.

We need to get our artists out there and known in Europe before the contest. The sooner we select our entry and get them ready, the sooner we can get them round to as many countries as possible performing our song.

But I do still thing it's quicker to just do an IS. xrollinglol

Nonetheless we should be grateful the UK has the resources to pull the rather elaborate idea I brought up. I can't see it being a yearly thing, but they might give something like it a go once. They'd have to get in early, though. The UK still haven't officially confirmed we are taking part yet.

Liam
20th June 2011, 13:59
I dont think it's fair to talk about Scooch like that. A lot of people just genuinely liked Scooch, as I did - I was like soooo happy when I realised it wasnt Cyndi but was Scooch - and really they deserved to do much better at Eurovision. Just because they finished 23rd doesnt mean that there is a problem with us :).

With the future, I find MYMU style NF's to be a pretty boring format tbh, and as I've said loads it should be X Factor style starting in Autumn with Auditions, then Bootcamp, then Judge's Houses, etc. And then after New Year, the live shows start and last until March when we have our winner. It'd get uber amounts of viewers for the BBC and would increase Eurovision popularity here.
And then if this ridiculous rule about no internal selections comes true but we want a Celebrity entry, we could either keep the X Factor style every year but every other year have a special celebrity entrant in the final or we could have a NF with just the Celebrity act every two years and let them sing a few songs and see the most popular.

Or maybe even like BRIT School for TV. Like, grouping aspiring songwriters, composers and singers work as a team to create the next entry. Each week the worst singer/songwriter/composer is eliminated. Like... for example:

Week 1-3 - Auditions
Week 4-10 - Live shows
Week 11 - Final

On each live week, the songwriters must write a song 3 minutes long, completely original, fitting to ESC rule conditions and fitting to a theme.

Week 1 - Party Songs
Week 2 - Ballads
Week 3 - Love songs
Week 4 - Fitting to a particular event
FINAL - Choosing the Eurovision entry (3 contestants perform 2 songs each)

You get the idea, and each week the contestants with the least votes is eliminated and it continues till the last one (best one) is standing, going to Eurovision with the song with the most votes. Maybe sounds complicated but the UK has huuuge undiscovered talent that'd do anything for their big break. Genuine talent :D

sophielou
21st June 2011, 14:34
Maybe sounds complicated but the UK has huuuge undiscovered talent that'd do anything for their big break. Genuine talent :D

You can say that again. We're a very musical country and ESC need to be sold again as a 'Big Break' to new artists as opposed to a fast tract to the end of a career. However I think it will take a few established artists more to get the proper music industry to do business with the BBC to write ESC songs again. However if there is a rule scrapping internal selection either we try and find at least two established artists willing to go in, or we do what we've been discussing and make it like a Fame Academy Meets X Factor thing. Even though its clear the person who spoke about this rule was targetting us - which isn't fair on other countries who have always selected internally - we are one of those countries who could not only pull off one of the biggest NFs in Europe but could actually get our population to actively vote in it. That'll make the BBC tones of money and could go towards promo for our entry in Europe.

Still, it is an unfair rule and I do hope it is true that it was just an idea and not actually being implemented.

Liam
21st June 2011, 17:54
I think it is a fair rule - the public should have a say, and as great as Jade did I never agreed it was right what the BBC did. We just need to encourage countries like the UK, Turkey etc. to have better NFs.

sophielou
21st June 2011, 20:57
I think it is a fair rule - the public should have a say, and as great as Jade did I never agreed it was right what the BBC did. We just need to encourage countries like the UK, Turkey etc. to have better NFs.

How do you mean? Jade Ewan was selected through a NF and that was by far the BEST NF the UK has ever thrown. So I don't understand what you mean by "I never agreed it was right what the BBC did."

Countries like the UK can afford to really fuel a lot of money and time into a NF, some other countries don't. Therefore it could limit participation in the contest. But I think the most important point is that it shouldn't be the EBU's business how each country picks their entry.

AlekS
22nd June 2011, 16:06
I'll repeat this again. As heard from the man who was responsible for production in Dusseldorf... certain broadcasters just planned to ask about this the EBU. And they hoped for their idea to be accepted by others.
Unprofessional ESC "tabloids" aka "certain" sites ;) announced about it as something which has already happened.

@Grinch. Jamala's sister married a Turk, her niece lives there, her songs are played there (not so much of course) + as Crimean tatar she's a regular guest of Crimean tatars gatherings in Istanbul (those who immigrated to Turkey). Hmmm, still I doubt that Turkey lacks really gr8 native performers to the point where TRT is going to ask someone else... blah blah blah.

Liam
22nd June 2011, 16:52
How do you mean? Jade Ewan was selected through a NF and that was by far the BEST NF the UK has ever thrown. So I don't understand what you mean by "I never agreed it was right what the BBC did."

Countries like the UK can afford to really fuel a lot of money and time into a NF, some other countries don't. Therefore it could limit participation in the contest. But I think the most important point is that it shouldn't be the EBU's business how each country picks their entry.

I mean, the public chose the singer but not the song :D A nice voice is a nice voice, but the song could be ********************. In 2009, it wasn't luckily, but 2010...

sophielou
23rd June 2011, 18:11
I mean, the public chose the singer but not the song :D A nice voice is a nice voice, but the song could be ********************. In 2009, it wasn't luckily, but 2010...

That's because in 2009 Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote the song. In 2010 we had that idiot Pete Waterman, who frankly thinks far too much of himself. I agree that the song should be chosen as well along with the singer. Frankly I don't mind as long as entries like Scooch are stopped from going in again. NFs really need to up the standard if they become compulsory.

Liam
24th June 2011, 16:05
I wouldn't mind what Germany did. They chose the singer and the song in 2010 :D

Matt
4th December 2011, 21:19
European Broadcasting Union will ban internal selections for Eurovision Song Contest 2013. Artist can be still selected by the broadcaster but at least the song should be decided by audience.

Source: http://eurovision-info.net/

Quent91
5th December 2011, 00:53
Grrrr T()T()(O)(O)oOXoOX

sannerz
5th December 2011, 05:04
Horrible idea. Hoooooooorrible. This pisses me off.

RomanFromRussia
5th December 2011, 13:28
Hoooray!
Russian selections is back!
It will be funny))

CPV4931
5th December 2011, 18:04
I don´t like this idea, mainly because of the smaller countries.
The only positive side is, that we can watch more NFs

Kicker
5th December 2011, 18:40
I find that good. It's just crap when nobody in the country can do anything for selecting their entry...

Mickey
5th December 2011, 19:09
Has anyone seen this news posted anywhere other than that one site?

This time last year, Russia were entering the big 4. Until I see this new rule confirmed by eurovision.tv or ESCtoday, I won't believe it.

I see no reason to alter my position on this.

Sean
5th December 2011, 20:01
Wasn't this reported last year, starting from ESC 2012? I call bullsh*t on this one

No Name
5th December 2011, 20:48
Taking bullcrap to new levels.
Way to go EBU aka. (insert random dictator country).

doctormalisimo
6th December 2011, 01:27
TRT's gonna be screwed :lol:
This is a good rule, but in principle it seems wrong to tell broadcasters what to do.

94ayd
6th December 2011, 01:49
People wouldn't be moaning now if internal decisions had never been taken but why does something always have to become "less free" just cause they've taken away this right when it, IMO, shouldn't have never been given to any broadcaster.

MyHeartIsYours
6th December 2011, 01:59
It shouldnt be the job of the EBU to interfere in each nations selection procedure. Personally I am happy with the BBC making internal selections, why do we have to have a NF just because the EBU thinks so?!
I dont believe this was intended, but also I think this is going to affect some countries ie United Kingdom and France, more than others.

AlekS
6th December 2011, 16:31
The reason is obvious - money.
Broadcasters won't be able to choose but they will have a 50% say still and... yep, televoters' money.

Nikoreindeer1973
7th December 2011, 12:58
Then San Marino might end up with a bigger NF show than Melodifestivalen.

evilperson
7th December 2011, 17:03
Does this mean Albania will have to actually hold a televote in their NF? That might not be so bad.

Matt
7th December 2011, 20:57
Another article about the change

LINK (http://escdaily.com/articles/27758)

It sounds to me at this point that this rumor is actually true. I personally agree with it so I'm happy

A-lister
14th December 2011, 16:06
European Broadcasting Union will ban internal selections for Eurovision Song Contest 2013. Artist can be still selected by the broadcaster but at least the song should be decided by audience.

Source: http://eurovision-info.net/

I'm not sure about what this would mean in practice.

So can we have internal selection (artist) entering just 2 songs for the public to chose from? Or what does EBU want?

My initial fear is that the quality will be lowered and we will see a decline in big names entering and more amateurs and kareoke-Idol type of selections... but then again if the public is to chose the song, while the act can still be internally chosen, then maybe it's not so bad afterall.

I'm not sure what result this might end up with. For some countries, internal selections have worked better as a method with a better result.

Matt
14th December 2011, 17:23
You are correct. The broadcaster can still select the artist internally but has to put up a minimum of two song for a vote.

Sim
14th December 2011, 18:16
Don't know if this is such a good idea.

What if a broadcaster only likes one song of the artist and thinks all the other are rubbish?
What can they do? Show the people the one they like and then I really bad song so that they are 99.99% sure the best song will be picked and not the bad one

They are saying they want to make the people warm for eurovision, but i don't know why an internal selection with a show around the artist and song is not possible
(eg Belgium 2010)

r3gg13
14th December 2011, 20:19
You are correct. The broadcaster can still select the artist internally but has to put up a minimum of two song for a vote.

Oh, then that isn't too bad. I was afraid internal selection of artists was to be prohibited which would then lessen the chances of having big(-ish) stars in ESC.

Milos-BC
17th December 2011, 14:46
I am not fond of this idea. Like i stated earlier, I see the point in trying to make everything more democratic, but I think the current system, where the broadcaster can choose the way of selecting the entry (and the entrant) is better. I see nothing bad in choosing both the artist and the entry. But, anyway.....

aletem
19th December 2011, 09:17
I am not fond of this idea. Like i stated earlier, I see the point in trying to make everything more democratic, but I think the current system, where the broadcaster can choose the way of selecting the entry (and the entrant) is better. I see nothing bad in choosing both the artist and the entry. But, anyway.....
+1
Some countries need this! And this works good for ::mk! :lol: I hope they will continue with the trend of choosing an artist, and then let the people choose what song they want.

Milos-BC
20th December 2011, 20:08
Exactly :D

CC92
20th December 2011, 20:56
Well, obviously that is a (cheap) promo trick. Will it work? I am not sure. Broadcasters simply need to introduce 50/50 voting based on percentages, give all jury votes to the pre-selected song and it ends up with an internal choice in disguise. Which means the second song does not even need to be awful.

Matt
17th March 2012, 05:42
A decision in regards to this proposal will be made this weekend although at this point it seems rather unlikely to pass. Too many broadcasters complained so one suggestion was to push it further out to 2014 to give everyone sufficient time to adjust. But we should know more early next week.

Jukica
18th March 2012, 02:34
A decision in regards to this proposal will be made this weekend although at this point it seems rather unlikely to pass. Too many broadcasters complained so one suggestion was to push it further out to 2014 to give everyone sufficient time to adjust. But we should know more early next week.

Hmmm I think that they shouldn't take away freedom from the countries :/

Matt
18th March 2012, 02:48
Well, it's not that they're taking away the freedom per sei. The broadcasters can still choose the act internally but they would have to have at least 2 songs for the public to choose from. I find it a fair compromise but at this point I doubt it's going to happen.

A-lister
19th March 2012, 13:46
Well, it's not that they're taking away the freedom per sei. The broadcasters can still choose the act internally but they would have to have at least 2 songs for the public to choose from. I find it a fair compromise but at this point I doubt it's going to happen.

I agree with you Matt. It's a good compromise.

As long as countries still can choose one act internally and aren't forced to have a national selection with multiple of songs, it's alright to me.

ESCjunkie
21st March 2012, 21:33
Well, I think this is a good idea: why let just one person or a small group decide? The ESC should be about what the people like! If people have a say in who will represent their country it will probably help them to support their own country's entry more :)

And now that we are on the subject of changing rules I would like to suggest another change: once the people have voted on their country's entry the song should remain as it is! After all: people voted for that song, not for the "improvements" or even worse: the translation!

DoctorX
28th May 2012, 14:50
Is there any news about this?

Sim
28th May 2012, 14:51
^^

still think it starts in 2013;)

Quent91
28th May 2012, 15:03
It was rejected : http://www.eurovision-quotidien.com/article-dans-360-jours-l-eurovision-2013-105669949.html

"L'obligation de passer par une sélection nationale dès 2013 a été rejetée. On pourra donc continuer à sélectionner candidat et chanson en interne si on le désire."

Sim
28th May 2012, 15:12
aah didn't know that:D