PDA

View Full Version : Associations for Slovenia ...

mojca
21st July 2010, 22:12
As I'm Slovenian I would like to know, which are the first 5 things that cross your mind, when you hear 'SLOVENIA' ;) ... And of course, be honest! 8-) -sl

94ayd
21st July 2010, 23:06
Ljubljana - gorgeous city & capital, Slovenian - gorgeous language, the flag - beautiful, the map - intrersting form & the people - very firendly and warm. Also, great music (love almost every single entry at the ESC). :mrgreen: :lol: I may visit Ljubljana in September for a day or at least a couple of hours, not sure. ;)

goktengri
21st July 2010, 23:19
Slovenia supports to Turkey for joining the EU.And another thing,Alenka Gotar. :D

AlekS
21st July 2010, 23:28
the 1st five:

- mountains
- winter sports
- Ljubljana
- Alenka Gotar
- EMA

Interrail
22nd July 2010, 00:23
I have much more than 5 associations for Slovenia... ;)

lucian-crusher
22nd July 2010, 09:57
1. Green - I tend to associate -sl with the color green
2. The country that left us home for the 2002 World Cup
3. Rebeka Dremelj
4. A must visit country (It's number 5 on my list after Venezuela, Croatia, Azerbaijan and Montenegro)
5. Ljubljana

vatroslav_cro
22nd July 2010, 13:29
(Very interesting thread, Mojca, you gave me idea) :D

5 things about Slovenia? Hm....honestly, you say...let's see......: :P

- our neighbouring country,
- many tourists visiting us come from there (thank you, :mrgreen: do it more :lol: ),
- Triglav mountain (Alps),
- skiing,
- a lot of nice places (villages, castles etc) I saw when I travelled through :P

Milos-BC
22nd July 2010, 20:28
Well, I have many associations :lol: Here's some:

1. ex-yu country

2. Mountains

3. Nusa Derenda

4. Many great people who come here 8-)

5. EMA :lol:

Isabella
22nd July 2010, 23:08
1. Neighbours :mrgreen:
2. jokes :lol: (I hear it all the time so what can I do)
3. beautiful country :D
4. Tina Maze
5. Triglav

SpZ
23rd July 2010, 14:52
Hmm 1st 5 things in the rough order they come into my mind:

1. Ex-Yugo
2. Never been there
3. Bad esc songs (although when i started to think about it, they are not really bad)
4. EU
5. Mediterranean

Kristi
23rd July 2010, 15:37
-Tanya Fayon
-Chicken :lol:
-Green
-Ljubljana
-Trieste

DominikS
23rd July 2010, 15:52
Me:

-Mountains/hills
-Richest slavic as well as ex communist country?
-Nice warm climate
-Greenery
-Ljubljana

ParadiseES
23rd July 2010, 17:29
Ljubljana
Gay (because I remember the eurovision trans :lol: )
Alenka Gotar
Beautiful
Beaches

DominikS
24th July 2010, 13:15
-Richest slavic as well as ex communist country?

What about Russia? :lol:

Per capita, obviously!! That was Slovenia would be quite low ;)

Mickey
24th July 2010, 19:30
1) The mountains on the flag/football shirts.
2) The football team, especially Zahovic.
3) Cocktails. There was a Slovenian guy at this house party I went to once. He was impressed that I knew the capital of his country was Ljubljana and that I didn't think he was Slovakian. So he rewarded me by making me a special drink. It tasted nice. I can't remember what was in it or, for that matter, how I got home that night, but I know Slovenians make good alcohol.
4) Everything I learnt about Slovenia that night I have mysteriously forgotten.

mojca
24th July 2010, 23:54
Interesting associations ;) Isabella, which are the jokes about Slovenians? I haven't heard any yet, can you mention some :)?

aletem
25th July 2010, 07:35
1) stalagmites/stalactites
2) the olm or "covecka riba" :mrgreen: :lol:
3) Triglav
4) Janez - the name :mrgreen:
5) Najsibkejsi clen :mrgreen: :lol:
6) Natalija Derepasko, Tanja Oder, Katja Kurent Tatarovac, Deja Doler... I've always been a fan of the blue girls :mrgreen:
7) Merlene Ottey :mrgreen:

Interrail
25th July 2010, 18:50
So, here r my associations:) :
- Kremshnite from Bled :oops: Mmm
- Frutek, Fructal, Cockta, ELAN, Lisca, Gorenje :D (ko razume, shvatice)
- Merkator, Merkur, Tus hypermarkets :D
- Very tidy and ecologically aware country:)
- Beautiful nature, Alps, national parks
- Small capital. Too small. No night life, no party, quiet - boring (sorry for saying this, but...association):/
- Wise, smart, calculated, pragmatic ppl. Extremely polite, friendly but reserved.
- Own interest before everything, before friendship
- Very professional
- Greedy with Croatian sea side (but no jokes with Slovenia, they will take care of its own interest no matter what and will get what they want) They 'know how'.
- Small and successful nation in sports (I appreciate this very much)
- Edvard Kardelj, Milka Planinc, Jernej Kopitar
- Great alcohol - Lasko beer and I don't remember this alcoholic drink...made of herbs. Mmm. Was good.
- Zlatarna Celje... ;)
- Covecja ribica...
- Perutnina Ptuj...lol
- Pohorje vinogradi...
etc....

Isabella
26th July 2010, 00:16
Interesting associations ;) Isabella, which are the jokes about Slovenians? I haven't heard any yet, can you mention some :)?

Here are some :mrgreen:

1. What do Slovenians do to control their air space and transport?
They put a soldier on top of the Triglav Mountain :lol:

2. Why is it forbidden to jump into swimming pools in Slovenia?
Because Italians would complain about water splashing. :lol: :lol:

3. How do Slovenes change gears in car?
First, second, BORDER with Austria.

As you see all these jokes are about Slovenia being a small country. Don't get mad it's just a joke and I haven't invented them ;)
I'm sure you have some jokes about Croatia, so if you know any please post it :mrgreen:

And yes I forgot about Cockta and Mercator. I love Cockta and shopping in Mercator is great :D

Kristi
26th July 2010, 23:37
Mercator rocks 8-)

mojca
27th July 2010, 11:28
Isabella, the jokes you posted are actually funny :) But our cars have more that 3 gears, believe me :lol:
We don't have many jokes about the Croats, but we often joke about the people from all ex-Yugoslavia in genearal.
I do remember one joke: What would change, if Mujo & Haso moved from Slovenia to Croatia? In bother countries there would be heigher average IQ :D But it's just a joke so don't take it personal ;)
And there are also jokes, connected to Chuck Norris and Croatia:
Who is even worse than Chuck Norris? - Toni Cetinski. Because he dies 100 times every day :D
For all, who don't know his song; Umirem sto puna dnevno (I die 100 times every day). I find it very funny actually :mrgreen:

DominikS
27th July 2010, 14:03
Hahahah great jokes!! :lol:

Milos-BC
27th July 2010, 14:28
Isabella, the jokes you posted are actually funny :) But our cars have more that 3 gears, believe me :lol:
We don't have many jokes about the Croats, but we often joke about the people from all ex-Yugoslavia in genearal.
I do remember one joke: What would change, if Mujo & Haso moved from Slovenia to Croatia? In bother countries there would be heigher average IQ :D But it's just a joke so don't take it personal ;)
And there are also jokes, connected to Chuck Norris and Croatia:
Who is even worse than Chuck Norris? - Toni Cetinski. Because he dies 100 times every day :D
For all, who don't know his song; Umirem sto puna dnevno (I die 100 times every day). I find it very funny actually :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like this one about Chuck Norris especially :lol:

Isabella
27th July 2010, 23:43
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, the one with Chuck Norris is great :lol:

SRBIJA
11th August 2013, 17:03
Sooo many things. Wonderful flag first, I've been looking for it for years but couldnt find one. :( Wonderful langauge. Slovenian seaside and Portoroz especially. Cool people from there on this forum. Tina Maze, Polona Hercog, Aljaz Bedene and so on. Mountains. High Standard. Yugoslavia. Kingdom of Slovenians, Croats and Serbs. Maribor and Ljubljana. Funny spokeperson in Eurovision. :lol: Nusa Lajh. Martina Sraj. Ski Jumping. Planica. Robert Kranjec. And list goes on. What can I say, one of my favourite countries ever. xlove

EscGeek
11th August 2013, 17:44
the richest slavic country (per capita) (for now... ) 8-)
greedy politicians xdown
lots of close minded people xdown
sometimes i wish we would have more land :oops:
hot girls are literally everywhere 8-)
food is so good i need to watch my weight (i could easaly eat the whole potica in one day) :lol:
and we're good in sports i guess...:D

LalehForWD
11th August 2013, 17:48
1) My most loved slalom skis ELAN (same as Stenmark :D)
2) I travelled through (sadly ignorant :(), so I've been there but yet not.
3) Said to be one of the most beautiful countries in Europe with a great diversities of climate: Alpine <=> Mediterranean.
4) One of the countries I would consider moving to, if I ever leave Sweden.
5) History, part of the heartlands of Habsburg power.

Tinchey
11th August 2013, 18:21
Hmm Slovenia to me was the country I've been in so many times but never actually seen anything (Croatian people would get it. :) ), for the same reason I call Slovenia Gates of EU, well not anymore. :D Now random stuff: Pohorje, Bled, Koper, Peter Poles, weird Farm show, Urška Hrovat, Robert Kristan, Borut Pahor, Janez Janša, Atomik Harmonik, Laibach, Dežela (term I use to call Slovenia :'D ), Maribor, Mercator, country shape that looks like a hen laying eggs :'D, Croatian jokes about Slovenia, ZERP, protests in 2012/13, Ljubljanska banka :'D, Tina Maze, Katarina Srebotnik, Jakov Fak :twisted:, snow, Alps, Slovenian riviera :'D. That's pretty much it. :D

Verjamem
11th August 2013, 18:33
- Balkans/former Yugoslavia etc.
- One of my favourite countries (mainly on ESC)
- Alright flag
- Underrated nation (also on Eurovision)
- European Union

SRBIJA
11th August 2013, 20:29
the richest slavic country (per capita) (for now... ) 8-)
greedy politicians xdown
lots of close minded people xdown
sometimes i wish we would have more land :oops:
hot girls are literally everywhere 8-)
food is so good i need to watch my weight (i could easaly eat the whole potica in one day) :lol:
and we're good in sports i guess...:D

so true!!!