PDA

View Full Version : Host city! - DUESSELDORF

manialf
20th June 2010, 02:23
I found out that 7 cities want to host Eurovision next year.
NDR says in August we will have the name.

Here is a poll: http://bit.ly/a5vRsz

Turkish97
20th June 2010, 13:03
Hamburg!

Nikoreindeer1973
21st June 2010, 13:33
Westerland for the win!

manialf
23rd June 2010, 08:11
Ok. so some media grid (whatever that is) has strongly suggested Hanover as a host city...

I'm not really fond of this idea ;( http://bit.ly/aojavZ

Pietclock
24th June 2010, 18:48
It won't be in Hanover, I am quite sure of that, it is not a TV centre in Germany.

It will be a decision between Cologne, Hamburg and Berlin.
If it goes Raab's way, it will be in Cologne. He has his TV studios there, and Cologne is a big TV centre with lots of TV production companies having their headquarters there.

Hamburg and Cologne have equally good chances, followed by Berlin.

Berlin's public broadcaster, RBB, is notoriously out of money, and Germany's national football cup is played there at the same time.

Milos-BC
25th June 2010, 20:08
I somehow still think it's going to be Berlin, but Hamburg wouldn't be a bad option either. Though Berlin would be a bit cheaper for my pocket, so I also hope it'll be Berlin all the way :oops: :P

chipz
28th June 2010, 17:57
It will be Hamburg.

teroh
28th June 2010, 21:24
Hamburg will be pissed if they don't get it, considering they have been supporting Eurovision over all these years.

Anjeza
28th June 2010, 23:14
Yeah, but I guess EBU and NDR are not only looking for the support the contest has had the past years, but mainly for things like size of the hall and (maybe the most important) the infrastructure. And maybe (I repeat: MAYBE!) this is the point were Hamburg may will loose the contest, it simply takes you ages to go from the city center to the O2 World Hamburg.

scami
13th July 2010, 17:15
Here is the availability situation of the posible locations for ESC 2011:

Berlin: O2 World (17.000) – free from 16th of April
Hamburgo: O2 World Hamburg (16.000) – booked for May 12, 14 & 22
Cologne: Lanxess Arena (20.000) – free from April 29 (Lena's tour) to May 22 (not enough time)
Hannover: TUI Arena (14.000) – free from April 14 (Lena's tour) to May 18
Düsseldorf: - Esprit Arena (51.500) – booked until May 14 (Football, 2nd division)
- ISS Dome (11.500) - free until May 21
Gelsenkirchen: Veltins Arena (54.000) – booked until May 14 (Bundesliga)
Mannheim: SAP Arena (15.000) – free in April and May
Munich: Olympiahalle (14.000) – free in April and May

Source: eurosongcontest forum (thanks to "siren")
http://eurosongcontest.phpbb3.es/viewto ... &start=105 (http://eurosongcontest.phpbb3.es/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=21240&start=105)

goktengri
13th July 2010, 18:48
Berlin.

So we will not feel ourselves as alone...There are so many Turks :shock:

Lidija
13th July 2010, 20:04
Did they change the name of Color Line Arena Hamburg into O2 as well? Oh, how I hate calling arenas after those companies giving money for it. :x
"Lanxess Arena" for me will always stay KölnArena. Always and forever.

But Berlin actually has other locations, such as the former airport of Tempelhof. It's a huge place and some award show was already organised there. I'm just not sure if this is amicable for the Israeli delegation, as the area "rose to fame" due to the Nazis. :?

In Cologne or Gelsenkirchen the Turkish people will also feel at home, just like almost everywhere in Germany. :lol:

Milos-BC
13th July 2010, 21:13
Berlin.

So we will not feel ourselves as alone...There are so many Turks :shock:

There are many Serbs too there :lol: :P And then, if I come, I will have where to be, as one of my friends is living is Berlin :P

MyHeartIsYours
16th July 2010, 00:10
Berlin it has to be! Berlin is so awesome!! :mrgreen:

DominikS
17th July 2010, 16:26
Hamburg!!! Because I love the city ;)

teroh
20th July 2010, 23:11
Hannover's biggest radio station is boycotting Lena and her music for the next 3 weeks because Lena said she would prefer Berlin over her home city Hannover :roll:

This is getting so ridiculous. :lol:

Jukica
23rd July 2010, 22:13
I'm for Berlin :D

PoppySnuggleGlass
24th July 2010, 21:31
I wouldn’t mind Cologne, it’s one of the few German cities I haven’t visited yet. :D
I wouldn’t mind if Berlin got it either... For the simple fact that Berlin is made of win, and I don’t say that often (thank God!)

Just not Munich... I've been 3 times already. :P

paddyirl
25th July 2010, 19:33
I want Leipzig :lol: :lol:

PeterLPZ
26th July 2010, 15:44
I want Leipzig :lol: :lol:

Hey that would be great. I live there...... :D

ronny1988
28th July 2010, 00:43
i hope the esc2011 will be in Berlin.

djSharkeY
29th July 2010, 20:06
I agree. Berlin would be a perfect place since there's has never been an ESC there yet..

Matt
15th August 2010, 06:37
According to oikotimes's article Dusseldorf (how random) is one of the frontrunner to host the ESC in 2011 but that is according to Bild and they're not really the most reliable source. The final decision will be made mid-late September.

American Andy
17th August 2010, 08:59
Since Germany (and subsequently ADR and NDR) has so many options, I think it would be cool if each broadcaster took control for one semi-final and hosted them in different cities, then came together for the Final in a third city. That way, three cities have a chance at getting international attention and increasing tourist dollars while not having to foot the bill for the entire ESC Week.

Obviously, this is just a pipe dream, but it would be cool.

ParadiseES
17th August 2010, 11:38
^
But that would be a mess and would cost a lot to German TV...

American Andy
18th August 2010, 03:54
Yeah, but Germany has the largest economy in Europe! They can afford it. Or, they can save the money and use it to help sponsor countries that can't afford it for themselves (like Andorra or San Marino). But as I said, it is just a pipe dream, I have no expectations of it coming to fruition.

94ayd
18th August 2010, 11:53
Yeah, I wonder, is there no broadcaster that could help the ones that don't have the money or they just don't want to... Wouldn't it be also very inconvenient for the fans who are gonna be part of the audience in all 3 nights?!

ParadiseES
18th August 2010, 13:12
Maybe they have the money, but everyone prefers to spend 10.000 instead of 30.000 for instance ;)

Milos-BC
18th August 2010, 19:07
^^ Nicely said.

Plus, Norway had a huge budget as well, and they weren't so "in the mood" to spend a whole lot of money on the show, so we got quite a simple stage and a simple background (but effective that is).

MyHeartIsYours
18th August 2010, 23:02
Yes... Oslo didnt spend as much as Moscow and although the stage wasnt as spectacular, the show was much better and that is what matters. ;)

AlekS
19th August 2010, 00:17
^ it's all subjective.
I didn't like 2010 stage at all. It was the biggest turn off. As for songs, imo it was quite equal.
I don't watch Eurovision just because of songs - it's not radio vision (it's vision after all) ;)
Simple stage is simple stage - someone likes it, someone dislikes it. I value creativity a lot - big money will always be a useful thing as well as smart brains.

American Andy
19th August 2010, 01:45
I think Channel 1 (Moscow) put on the most magnificent show staged in the history of the Contest, but NRK (Oslo) put on one of the most innovative ones. Channel 1's production was big, exuberant, and dazzling. I loved what NRK was able to do with their limited budget; I thought it was innovative, entertaining, and just great!

Pretty much, since 2000 and the movement towards more elaborate stagings (Stockholm's moving LED columns, Copenhagen's massive! stadium, Athens' all LED stage, etc...), the ante has been raised in terms of what is expected by the audience from the host broadcasters. The last two Contests have quadrupled that ante, as they have both been magnificent. Regardless of where the Contest is held, ADR and NDR have quite big shoes to fill if they hope to continue the trend of awesomeness seen in these recent years.

ParadiseES
19th August 2010, 02:00
I think both shows, Moscow and Oslo, weren't as good as the previous ones: Kyiv, Athens, Helsinki and Belgrade. In general, they were perfect. Moscow and Oslo had fashion designs, but the most important things failed (hosts, camera work, sound,...etc) :)

MyHeartIsYours
19th August 2010, 09:41
It's funny coz I thought Athens and Helsinki were terrible :lol:.

Schlagerman1
20th August 2010, 07:48
I agree with what most has written! :)
Moscow brought out the Russian power and showed us a stage like never before and had very good lightning and it was cool with all the LEDs (even if it was a little too much for some songs that couldn't use it in the right way..), on the bad note, I thought the hosts were pretty terrible (if the ones in the final were bad...then the ones in the semis shouldn't be commented :lol:)
Oslo however, had maybe not a great stage a little small one, still here the lightning and especially the background very different and fitted the new age of the Eurovision (Isn't 2010 a little "go back in time"- era in some cases?) Here the hosts were maybe the best ones in the 2000s and were real professionals and didn't do many wrong things.

I liked the shows in Athens and in Helsinki (despite that horrible stage that looked like the singers were oversized) and Belgrade was pretty cool too! :)

DominikS
20th August 2010, 22:38
The stage in 2009 was spectacular, it reflected how big eurovision has become. 2010 was ok to me, I can understand why people like it or don't like it, but I preferred most other stages in the decade. My all-time favourite graphics were in Helsinki, whilst my favourite stage is the 2006 stage (closely followed by 2010)

I'm sure Germany will organise a fantastic show though, maybe even grander than the one in Moscow!

MyHeartIsYours
20th August 2010, 22:59
Germany wont spend as much as Moscow, they will be watching the pennies. I think they will aim to follow Oslo, spend less but still have a great show.

American Andy
21st August 2010, 01:43
I think Belgrade was an underrated year. Good hosts, a beautiful stage that provided a visual interpretation of that year's theme.

I think we all can agree that Germany has a lot to live up to after this past decade. Let's hope ADR/NDR is up to the challenge!

evilperson
21st August 2010, 10:49
4 cities in the running:

Hamburg (Fair grounds)
Hannover (Fair grounds/TUI Arena)
Düsseldorf (Esprit Arena)
Berlin (O2 World/Tempelhof airport)

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=19833&_t=Four+cities+in+the+running+to+host+Eurovision+2 011

Karlicious
21st August 2010, 11:56
I would like Munich.

Karlicious
21st August 2010, 11:58
4 cities in the running:

Hamburg (Fair grounds)
Hannover (Fair grounds/TUI Arena)
Düsseldorf (Esprit Arena)
Berlin (O2 World/Tempelhof airport)

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=19833&_t=Four+cities+in+the+running+to+host+Eurovision+2 011
No Cologne nor Munich :O

Schlagerman1
21st August 2010, 15:15
Hmm I hope Berlin gets, even if it doesn't matter now, since I won't problably going (it was either a move or ESC...and now I'm moved so ESC is as got as impossible for me this year..:()
Actually it is Berlins time now after Frankfurt and Münich...still Hamburg is sorta the "ESC-city" of Germany and might in that case get it...
Glad I am not in the jury choosing the host city though, it must be though! :P

panakos
21st August 2010, 17:04
I would pick Düsseldorf because I'm very familiar with it. :) The city has a great infrastructure - modern and traditional, Oberkassel, Ratinger in the old town is the place for the typical tourists who want to sit and have a pint. :)
Also it's perfect for shopping - go to Königsallee and Schadowstrasse but you'll need loads of money. :P

Oh, I',m glad that Köln is out. :twisted:

Hannover has Oktoberfest, Hamburg is boring (although my mates seem to love it), never been to Berlin so I can't comment on it.

Anjeza
21st August 2010, 17:09
Hannover has Oktoberfest

Don't say this to somebody in Hanover :lol: Munich is the city with the Oktoberfest, Hanover is more known for the world largest Schützenfest.

panakos
21st August 2010, 17:21
Don't say this to somebody in Hanover :lol:.
Why??

Munich is the city with the Oktoberfest, Hanover is more known for the world largest Schützenfest.

Yes, of course, München has the best Oktoberfest.
I don't like Schützenfests!

Anjeza
21st August 2010, 17:31
Why??

Because most of them don't like to be associated with Bavaria.

Oh common, Schützenfeste are great :D Well, at least in the rural area where I used to live.

MyHeartIsYours
21st August 2010, 18:41
---------

Milos-BC
21st August 2010, 23:49
Hmm I hope Berlin gets, even if it doesn't matter now, since I won't problably going (it was either a move or ESC...and now I'm moved so ESC is as got as impossible for me this year..:()
Actually it is Berlins time now after Frankfurt and Münich...still Hamburg is sorta the "ESC-city" of Germany and might in that case get it...
Glad I am not in the jury choosing the host city though, it must be though! :P

Indeed, there are small chances for me to go as well :( I won't give up just yet, but the chances are lower than when I originally planned to go to Germany. My OGAE mates aren't going either, so that is a reason as well.

But still hope Berlin will get it.

MyHeartIsYours
22nd August 2010, 01:04
For me, the only host can be Berlin. It is such an amazing city and has more things to visit and do as a visitor than the other cities. Also I think Berlin would be nice because historically it was the focus of divided Europe but now it represents united Europe just as Eurovision does :).
Out of the other candidate cities, I would choose Hamburg, Dussledorf then Hannover, in that order.

Israeliboy
22nd August 2010, 14:53
I wish for Berlin or Hamburg :)...Why not Frankfurt? :(

94ayd
22nd August 2010, 19:16
I wanted it to be Frankfurt, too, as there could just be some chance of me going as we have friends who live in Ofenbach (am Main). In 1957 the contest was held there, so maybe that's it...

panakos
22nd August 2010, 20:29
Because most of them don't like to be associated with Bavaria.

Oh common, Schützenfeste are great :D Well, at least in the rural area where I used to live.

LOL Poor Bayern no-one likes them xD

Are you from Niedersachsen?

Anjeza
22nd August 2010, 20:45
LOL Poor Bayern no-one likes them xD

Are you from Niedersachsen?

Yeah, I'm from the district Celle (I don't know if you know the town, but we are the northern neighbours of Hanover).

panakos
23rd August 2010, 02:35
Yeah, I'm from the district Celle (I don't know if you know the town, but we are the northern neighbours of Hanover).
Right :)
when you wrote that you like Schützenfeste I was sure that you cannot be Berlinerin. :P

Matt
23rd August 2010, 15:18
i'm very satisfied with the four options. Either Berlin, Hamburg or Hannover would be freakin' awesome.
duesseldorf...not so much but I give them only small chances of actually hosting the contest....can't wait for september.

No Name
23rd August 2010, 15:58
Hamburg all the way!

Really close to the Danish border so it would be easy for me to go there. Should be a great city so Hamburg I'm rooting for 8-)

Anjeza
24th August 2010, 10:23
Right :)
when you wrote that you like Schützenfeste I was sure that you cannot be Berlinerin. :P

Yeah, Schützenfeste are not that well-known outside of Lower Saxony :D Maybe in some parts of Schleswig-Holstein and North Rhine-Westphalia, but that's it :)

But back to topic^^
I think that in the end it will be a duel between Hamburg and Berlin so I still hope that it will be Berlin (well, for obvious reasons :lol:).

Lotus2003
24th August 2010, 15:07

There is just ONE Oktoberfest and it's in Munich. The others are called Schützenfest, Volksfest, Dom or Kirchweih, etc.

@ Anjeza:

Schützenfeste (omg, is there no translation?? ^^) are also known in Bavaria, it's not a lower-saxonian product. ;)

Matt
24th August 2010, 16:03
I'm from Lower Saxony (originally) and I didn't know that Schuetzenfest was only a local thing......good times.

To me it almost doesn't matter between Hannover, Hamburg and Berlin as I am going regardless.

ParadiseES
24th August 2010, 20:17
I kinda changed my opinion :P

This year I have one of my best friend studying in Denmark, so I'll have to visit her. But probably I won't have enough money for both trips and Eurovision tickets (which I imagine will be freaking expensive :evil:). But maybe if I turn both trips into one.... I mean... going to Denmark just before ESC and then going to ESC in Germany....that would be easier!!!
Then Hamburg is near, so Hamburg all the way!!!!

panakos
24th August 2010, 21:23
There is just ONE Oktoberfest and it's in Munich. The others are called Schützenfest, Volksfest, Dom or Kirchweih, etc.

Hmm, there is one in Hannover too. I'm sure... or not really xD
I see that no-one here likes Dusseldorf. Pretty disappointing. It's my favourite German city.

I kinda changed my opinion :P

This year I have one of my best friend studying in Denmark, so I'll have to visit her. But probably I won't have enough money for both trips and Eurovision tickets (which I imagine will be freaking expensive :evil:). But maybe if I turn both trips into one.... I mean... going to Denmark just before ESC and then going to ESC in Germany....that would be easier!!!
Then Hamburg is near, so Hamburg all the way!!!!

Oh, yes you have to fork out. I've been to Denmark this summer and it costed me about 8000 kroner but it included tickets for roskilde, travelling costs to helsingor copenhagen, food etc
it's a valuable experience :)

ParadiseES
25th August 2010, 01:29
Well I just have to pay the flight, cause I'll stay at my friend's place and I think there's some Ryanair or Easyjet from Madrid to Copenhaguen :D

No Name
25th August 2010, 16:14
Hmm, there is one in Hannover too. I'm sure... or not really xD
I see that no-one here likes Dusseldorf. Pretty disappointing. It's my favourite German city.

Oh, yes you have to fork out. I've been to Denmark this summer and it costed me about 8000 kroner but it included tickets for roskilde, travelling costs to helsingor copenhagen, food etc
it's a valuable experience :)

Oh damn, you've been at Roskilde Festivalen? Unfortunately I had to miss out this year but I'm definitely going again next year. I was invited for two camps but my wallet couldn't afford it this time...:oops:

MrJadeEwen
3rd September 2010, 14:19
May we also see the scoreboard in German instead of English?

ESC89
6th September 2010, 14:13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcEbHGl8ZLc

:)

rufotron
10th September 2010, 09:41
when in september will it be announced? ill be going but want to get booked up

Silverhelsinki
22nd September 2010, 20:05
Has the host city been confirmed to be Berlin now? I've seen a lot of sites saying 'ESC 2011 - Berlin' and such.

ParadiseES
22nd September 2010, 20:26
It was also said they chose Dusseldorf, but they are only rumours ;)

Matt
23rd September 2010, 16:40
No official announcement has been made about where to contest is to be held. We should expect an official annoouncement early October.

Hamburg, Hanover, Berlin & Duesseldorf are all still in the running it is just rumored that berlin will win the bid but we dont' know for sure yet.

AlekS
26th September 2010, 00:52
Eurovision 2011 in Düsseldorf?

Say it ain’t so. German tabloid ‘Bild’ is reporting that it’s “99% sure” that Düsseldorf will host Eurovision 2011.

Officials plan to host the world’s largest song contest in the Esprit Arena, which can seat 60,000 people, the article says.

Berling, Düsseldorf, Hamburg and Hannover made official bids to host the contest this spring. Wiwi’s readers have overwhelmingly expressed a preference for Berlin.

The European Broadcasting Union plans to formally announce the winner within two weeks.

source: http://wiwibloggs.com/2010/09/25/eurovision-2011-in-dusseldorf/

Turkish97
26th September 2010, 09:57
Eurovision 2011 in Düsseldorf?

Say it ain’t so. German tabloid ‘Bild’ is reporting that it’s “99% sure” that Düsseldorf will host Eurovision 2011.

Officials plan to host the world’s largest song contest in the Esprit Arena, which can seat 60,000 people, the article says.

Berling, Düsseldorf, Hamburg and Hannover made official bids to host the contest this spring. Wiwi’s readers have overwhelmingly expressed a preference for Berlin.

The European Broadcasting Union plans to formally announce the winner within two weeks.

source: http://wiwibloggs.com/2010/09/25/eurovision-2011-in-dusseldorf/
Oh,no :( i want hamburg! but 60,000 people amazing! :lol:

Anjeza
26th September 2010, 16:47
I don't trust this BILD news at all - they write so much cra* about ESC (well, if they write about it at all - there were years when our local newspaper wrote more about ESC in one week than BILD in the whole year:lol:) that I simply can't believe them anymore. The only thing we know about the Düsseldorf topic is, that the club that is normally playing at the Esprit-Arena asked the German football league to move their home games to a smaller stadium if Düsseldorf gets the ESC.

But imo it's about time to announce the venue - at first it was said the decission will be made in August, then it was said beginning of September and now we almost have October! :mad:

Milos-BC
27th September 2010, 16:52
I really hope it will be Berlin in the end. :(

And it's about time for them to reveal the hosting city.

MyHeartIsYours
27th September 2010, 18:44
But imo it's about time to announce the venue - at first it was said the decission will be made in August, then it was said beginning of September and now we almost have October! :mad:

I am 99% sure they already know where it will be ;)

Interrail
27th September 2010, 22:58
I still hope it will be Berlin. I won't go to the ESC, so it doesn't really matter for me, quality of show and production matter and I'm sure Germany will do fantastic job whatever city hosts it, but for the ESC fans I think Berlin would be best, not Düsseldorf, Hamburg or Hanover. GO BERLIN:D

ParadiseES
29th September 2010, 01:06
Hamburg also deserves after organizing such Eurovision parties year after year!

tassie
5th October 2010, 11:51
Hi!

I am planning to attend my first Eurovision, and I'd really like to know the host city. Is there an "official" site I can access from Australia to find some info? I need to book flights etc soon, to make use of the specials, but I can't until I know where it will be!

Hello to everyone, anyway.

Cheers

C.

MyHeartIsYours
5th October 2010, 11:55
The EBU still havent told us about the host city yet but they will be soon =)).

shar77
5th October 2010, 13:44
Hi!

I am planning to attend my first Eurovision, and I'd really like to know the host city. Is there an "official" site I can access from Australia to find some info? I need to book flights etc soon, to make use of the specials, but I can't until I know where it will be!

Hello to everyone, anyway.

Cheers

C.

As an Aussie that is heading to her 3rd Eurovision next year, I say that you should start with eurovision.tv as your reference, and then esctoday.com
The info about tickets (when they go on sale) will be there, and the host city details.

And as a travel agent, I do say jump on those earlybird airfares. The best ones you will find will be to Frankfurt. Most airlines that cover the other cities in Germany don't fly direct but via somewhere else in Europe, adding to your taxes. The only airlines that buck this trend are Etihad and Emirates. Emirates are offering Dusseldorf return for around $1879 now for next May.

I'm expecting an announcement about Dusseldorf as host city in the next 48 hours.
You should try to find a hotel to book as soon as its announced. Most have been booked out in Dusseldorf already. There is still some availability in the hostels however if you are after cheap accommodation.

I'm personally flying Cathay Pacific (best price on offer) to Frankfurt, and then catching a train to the city. Dusseldorf is only 2 hours train ride away.

Muireanne
5th October 2010, 18:32
Should be Berlin... the only capital that hasn't organized yet (of the winning nations)... 1983 was München if I'm not mistaking.

ronny1988
5th October 2010, 18:50
Have anyone of you watched the German 'Bundesvision Song Contest 2010' ?? They have very good Bands and Artists in Germany. Don't know why they want to send Lena again to ESC. This was a good Song but i don't think she can come again to top10 at 2nd ESC!

Muireanne
5th October 2010, 18:55
Have anyone of you watched the German 'Bundesvision Song Contest 2010' ?? They have very good Bands and Artists in Germany. Don't know why they want to send Lena again to ESC. This was a good Song but i don't think she can come again to top10 at 2nd ESC!

Think it has more to do with economization to be honest. They had the festivities of 20 years "United Germany" this year + the organisation of the ESC in 2011, so organising a search for a candidate could be considered an extra cost not worth the efford. I don't think Germany is aiming a top-10 position next year anyway.

Anjeza
5th October 2010, 20:48
Think it has more to do with economization to be honest. They had the festivities of 20 years "United Germany" this year + the organisation of the ESC in 2011, so organising a search for a candidate could be considered an extra cost not worth the efford. I don't think Germany is aiming a top-10 position next year anyway.

I don't think, that it has to do with economy (or at least not that much), as the costs for the festivities you mentionned were mostly taken by the gouvernment whilst the costs of the ESC are beard by the ARD and the host city (which decreases the chances for Berlin - as the major says, we are poor - but still sexy :D).
I guess that the NDR is (for reasons I can't imagine) afraid to take back this decision. It's a pity, because from a show like the Bundesvision Song Contest you could easily develop a National Final, but only if every federal state takes this contest serious too... I felt so ashamed for the entry from Lower Saxony :oops:

But back to topic :lol:
@tassie: Like shar77 wrote, try to get a cheap flight to Frankfurt. From there you have direct connections to all 4 cities. I would also advice you to visit the offical homepage of the German railways (http://www.bahn.de) to book tickets there and try to get one of the offers they have from time to time.
For hotels you should either visit the homepages of the cities or homepages like http://www.hrs.com

AlekS
6th October 2010, 15:28
Germany – German tabloid BILD reports today, that Düsseldorf has been chosen as the host of the Eurovision Song Contest 2011. This afternoon a secret meeting of the DFL (German Soccer League) will approve the moving of Düsseldorf’s soccer team Fortuna Düsseldorf to another stadium (Paul-Janes-Stadion) during the Eurovision period in May. The Esprit-Arena in Düsseldorf would thus be free for the preparations, rehearsals and shows of the Eurovision Song Contest 2011. The project manager of Fortuna, Sven Mühlenbeck, was in Frankfurt yesterday, to talk about the final plans with the DFL: The Paul-Janes Stadion will be enhanced for the games of the soccer team, from 71500 to 180000 places, which will cost 2,5 million euros. Furthermore, 800 square meters will be freed for mobile broadcast units.

According to the mayor of Düsseldorf Dirk Elbers, they are expecting 140 million euros of revenue due to the Eurovision Song Contest, which will cost about 25 million.

According to Bild, the presentation of the host city was delayed by the NDR, as they had to wait for the meeting of the DFL. Nothing has been confirmed officially, but all the signs point to Düsseldorf 2011.

http://eurovisiontimes.wordpress.com/2010/10/06/dusseldorf-will-host-the-eurovision-song-contest-2011/

imo, Build and especially eurovisiontimes can't be considered reliable sources.

on a side note: According to Derwesten.de, NDR plans to choose the host tomorrow

Matt
6th October 2010, 16:19
Yeah, no official word yet so until they tell us it is Duesseldorf I am not going to believe it...

I mean c'mon it's BILD

tassie
7th October 2010, 13:13
Thank you to Shar77 and Anjeza for the info and advice, and AlekS for the heads up about Deusseldorf. I was looking at the Emirates flight into Deusseldorf anyway, but I hadn't thought about accommodation yet. Don't know why it hadn't occurred to me that other people would want to go, too!

Cheers

C.

Isabella
7th October 2010, 16:41

I haven't watched it, but I heard some songs. I really love the songs, especially "Schwarz zu blau" from Peter Fox and "Yasmine" from Ich&Ich. They really have great artists and it's indeed weird, they're sending Lena again.

AlekS
7th October 2010, 19:11
Düsseldorf will host ESC 2011.
http://eurovisiontimes.wordpress.com/2010/10/07/confirmed-eurovision-2011-in-dusseldorf/
http://www.satundkabel.de/index.php/nachrichtenueberblick/buntes/75232-zeitung-qeurovision-song-contest-2011q-wird-in-duesseldorf-ausgetragen
WAZ refers to their sources in ARD.
So on Tuesday they will decide which broadcaster's manager will announce this decision and when... gah! Just post it on both sites, gawd dammed! :lol:

Kristi
7th October 2010, 22:04
Düsseldorf? :shock:

94ayd
7th October 2010, 22:14
How booooring...

MyHeartIsYours
7th October 2010, 23:24
eurovision.tv doesnt say anything yet but it has changed from the branding of Olso 2010 to Germany 2011 so I expect they will say something soon 8-)
Of course we all know it will be Dussledorf but I still would like it to be Berlin!

Isabella
7th October 2010, 23:57
I want Berlin too, but I'm sure Germans can organize great ESC, no matter is it Berlin, Dusseldorf or some other town ;)

MyHeartIsYours
8th October 2010, 00:24
There is always a much better atmosphere though imo in the capital city. Like in UK if Manchester hosted it, it would be amazing but it wouldnt have that special thing like London would!

Interrail
8th October 2010, 00:30
I don't want Düsseldorf either:/ Not that I think Düsseldorf would be bad host (it would be great I know), but I understand it like a message that ESC isn't important for Germany, so they can organize it in any smaller town, who cares, whatever).
Especially since Germany didn't win for such a long period and Berlin never hosted ESC, Eastern Germany didn't even compete, it would be perfect if they chosen Berlin (and I believe from visitors point of view cultural scene and night life is much better in Berlin then Düsseldorf).
Well at least from Belgrade there's direct flight to Düsseldorf, so some of my friends will go straight and easily, but I still hope Düsseldorf isn't official information.

AlekS
8th October 2010, 02:41
I understand it like a message that Germany chose the best option out of all available. Infrastructure + available venues + money.

As for cost. Nobody cares about that because it's way too miserable comparing to the German budget or even cities budget and sponsors.

I want Berlin too, but I'm sure Germans can organize great ESC, no matter is it Berlin, Dusseldorf or some other town ;)
word.

goktengri
8th October 2010, 11:01
I want Berlin but Düsseldorf is good too :)

So i think we'll see so many Turkish, Greek flags in the show night :lol:

Turkish97
8th October 2010, 12:27
So i think we'll see so many Turkish, Greek flags in the show night :lol:
Agree.. :lol:

AlekS
8th October 2010, 13:13
Total mess with the announcement date.
Deutsche Welle says that NDR will announce it today.
They also hinted that Düsseldorf will host ESC as Berlin suggested former Tempelhof Airport tent and it's been denied because of sucky acoustics and capacity.

ps. It's in all media here :D

Anjeza
8th October 2010, 16:24
:lol: You are understating with "Total mess"... Every newspaper I read today wrote the ESC will be in Düsseldorf (and all were refering to this one article by the WAZ) and only one (out of 5) wrote in the next sentence that this is not official yet as the NDR haven't said anything for the record yet. :rolleyes:

And eventhough we don't even know the venue yet some people already try to sell tickets for the ESC :shock:; I just found this article on the German eurovision site: http://eurovision.ndr.de/news/meldungen/tickets147.html I'm sorry that the article is in German, but it only says, that those who are offering tickets for ESC now are imposters as they are no authorized sellers with over-priced tickets although (attention!) no final decision about the venue hasn't been made yet

Matt
8th October 2010, 21:26
Ugh, I know it's not official yet but Duesseldorf would suck!!! It sounds to me though that it is most likely going to be the case.

Worst option IMO out of those 4 cities that have applied. Who the heck knows Duesseldorf???

"Good evening Duesseldorf, this is Belgrade calling"....how stupid does that sound?

AlekS
9th October 2010, 01:29
^ I can't believe in what I hear from you o_0 :lol:

Now seriously. It would be a nice opportunity for me to know that city. Everyone knows Berlin or Hamburg :|
It sounds normal, imo.

94ayd
9th October 2010, 02:05
Yeah, Berlin's just so much different and yeah, I agree with Matt, it'd sound a bit funny... :lol:

AlekS
9th October 2010, 19:02
Then according to such "logic" the same things with "Berlin" sound like ridiculous crap :)

Other cities also deserve to get something big, Berlin should wait. If they value someone's money more than ESC & they offer a sucky venue instead then such city doesn't deserve to host ESC xshrug

AlekS
12th October 2010, 02:56
Our broadcaster has May 10-14 on its site so I assume that the dates are official still they have "Germany" as the host :lol:
maybe tomorrow (though I doubt because they can "punish" WAZ and make it the other day :) )

teroh
12th October 2010, 16:12
DÜSSELDORF IS NOW OFFICIAL !

http://eurovision.ndr.de/news/austragungsort101.html

Matt
12th October 2010, 16:27
Ahhh, it was expected but still very unhappy about this. So far germany is not delivering but I'm still looking forward to the event.

The good news is that it is quite a big arena so the odds to get tickets for the event have increased so that's good. Now I have to replan my trip across europe next year.....

Matt
12th October 2010, 16:31
The eurovision.tv article

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=20453&_t=And+the+winner+is...+D%C3%BCsseldorf%21

After a long bid- and selection process, Düsseldorf has been chosen as Host City of the 2011 Eurovision Song Contest! The final decision was taken only moments ago, and approved by the song contest's governing body, the Reference Group. While media believed the choice was made already last week, the selection was exciting until the very last moment..!

The upcoming running of the Eurovision Song Contest will take place at Fortuna Düsseldorf's arena, which has a maximum seating capacity of 54,400 people. Due to the required space for the stage and technical facilities, the capacity for the Eurovision Song Contest will be lower - approximately 24,000 spectators can attend each of the three live shows and some of the Dress Rehearals. The arena is located within five kilometers from both Düsseldorf's international airport as well as the city centre.

The bid process
Four cities were in the running to host the 2011 Eurovision Song Contest; Berlin, Düsseldorf, Hamburg and Hannover. Over the past months, each city has made an extraordinary effort to offer host broadcaster NDR and the European Broadcasting Union the best possible conditions to organise an unforgettable event in May 2011. Just as in the contest itself, only one can win. After detailed analysis and evaluation visits to all four cities, a series of practical challenges had to be overcome. Once all challenges were solved, the official announcement could be made immediately.

"Berlin, Hamburg and Hannover had very imaginative and elaborate applications. All cities were working hard and dedicatedly to host the Eurovision Song Contest. For this commitment, sincere thanks are given to Berlin, Hamburg and Hannover by the NDR team," Schreiber concluded.

NDR's Director General Lutz Marmor said: "Düsseldorf twelve points - North Rhine-Westphalia's capital city provides the best conditions for the Eurovision Song Contest. I congratulate Düsseldorf cordially - and just as cordially I thank the other three cities for going into the race enthusiastically with attractive concepts".

ARD Head of Entertainment Thomas Schreiber: "Düsseldorf scored mainly with the arena and its surroundings. More than 24,000 viewers can attend each of the two Semi-Finals, the Grand Final, and also the Dress Rehearsals. It was important to us that the most populous EU member state offers as many fans from Germany, but also from the neighboring countries, the opportunitiy to experience this event live. As part of the metropolitan area Rhein/Ruhr, Düsseldorf has a vast urban catchment reaching even into the Netherlands and Belgium."

According to the production team, the conditions for a television production with more than 40 participating countries are "excellent". The arena has perfect acoustics and provides enough height and space behind the scenes for the short alteration breaks between the songs. Journalists will have optimal working conditions in the neighboring athletic sports arena.

About Düsseldorf

While the City of Düsseldorf only has some 600,000 inhabitants, it is located close to the Dutch and Belgian borders and finds itself near the Ruhr area, the home of more than 10 million people. Within a 100-kilometer radius you will find cities such as Bonn, Aachen, Colone and Dortmund. Apart from Düsseldorf Airport, which connects to nearly every major airport in Europe, there are various other ways to get to the Eurovision Song Contest capital of 2011. You can fly to Colone, the largest low-cost airport of Germany, and Weeze, which is just 40 minutes from Düsseldorf by train.

Why so long?"
Many Eurovision.tv readers asked us: "Why does it take so long to pick a Host City this year?"

"For the first time in many years, we find ourselves in the luxurious position of having a choice. In most countries, only the capital city has the venue, hotel capacity and technical infrastructure to host an event as large as the Eurovision Song Contest. In Germany, there are many cities who meet the requirements. By organising a fair bid process, Host Broadcaster NDR managed to find the most ideal circumstances to host the contest in Germany, which is in everyone's best interest," said Sietse Bakker, Manager Communications & PR of the Eurovision Song Contest.

Looking for tickets, press/fan accreditation, hotels?
Tickets for the 2011 Eurovision Song Contest are likely to go on sale late fall. The precise date will be communicated well in advance through www.eurovision.tv. To receive an email alert as soon as more information about ticket sales becomes available, signup to MyEurovision right away!

Later this year a selection of pre-booked hotels will be made available for accredited press and fans. The accreditation window for press and fans is expected to open on 25 January. Accreditation will take place online.

Apart from Düsseldorf, affordable hotels can also be found in the nearby cities of Ratingen, Neuss, Mettmann, Duisburg and Oberhausen. All cities are easily connected to Düsseldorf through public transport.

Matt
12th October 2010, 16:45
A picture of the arena

http://www.eurovision.tv/img/upload/news/2011/arena.jpg

http://eurovision.ndr.de/esctag101_v-gallery.jpg

goktengri
12th October 2010, 17:15
Düsseldrof ! I would like to Berlin but it's a good choice too.

Anjeza
12th October 2010, 17:44
Düsseldorf... :|:|Why not the beautiful tent in Berlin... :lol: Anyway, now I have to wait again a lifetime until I can watch a ESC live and not in front of a TV screen...:cry:xcry

alca
12th October 2010, 17:55
But you live in Germany!! I'm sure it's a lot easier for you to go to Düsseldorf than it is for the rest of us...

Anjeza
12th October 2010, 18:03
I wish it would be :( But it's simply too expensive. I calculate with about 250 euros only for a bed and to go to D'dorf by train...That's too much for a poor student

Matt
12th October 2010, 18:04
esctoday.com article

http://esctoday.com/news/read/16169

Milos-BC
12th October 2010, 18:42
Too bad. I was really hoping for Berlin 'till last second :(

But anyway, I am very optimistic about the show still.

MyHeartIsYours
12th October 2010, 18:53
It's a shame it's not Berlin but I am sure Dusseldorf will be a good host and the arena looks great :D.

Interrail
12th October 2010, 20:06
Germany will do amazing job, even though Berlin would be better, I'm sure Düsseldorf will give fantastic show. So, congrats Düsseldorf for winning the ESC bid8-)

Sim
12th October 2010, 20:22
The closest one for me/D

I really hope I can get their:D

DominikS
12th October 2010, 22:51
xcheer

Any of the last four candidates would've given a fantastic show, I'm sure! I'm looking forward to seeing eurovision hosted in Dusseldorf! ;)

Isabella
13th October 2010, 01:28
I'm happy for Düsseldorf and glad it's finally official. I'm sure Düsseldorf will be excellent host and can't wait for ESC 2011. :)

No Name
15th October 2010, 19:56
Boooooh, I wanted Hamburg. :(

Muireanne
17th October 2010, 01:44
Do not agree... should have been Berlin (in ESC tradition... Berlin is the only capital never to host an ESC... how do you explain that! Oh yeah... the currency-flow...:mrgreen:)

Anyway... I do believe also Düsseldorf will make this ESC a feast... "Deutsche Gründlichkeit"... with Andorra gone, but Liechtenstein perhaps on the menu... great!

94ayd
17th October 2010, 11:04
Well, there's never been a ESC in, either Bern, or Ankara. Also it was Zagreb and not Belgrade in 1990 but that's cause the winners came for Croatia.

AlekS
2nd November 2010, 21:21
It's already known that the show won't be so "global" like in Moscow. The budget will be lower, approx. like in Oslo.

manialf
6th November 2010, 14:33
Düsseldorf will spent 9,3 million euro for Eurovision!
They want to organize parties, public.viewing e.t.c

Matt
6th December 2010, 19:47
eurovision.de videoblog (german)

http://eurovision.ndr.de/videoblog/videoblog163.html

Matt
14th January 2011, 14:11
If you want to join ESC as a volunteer you can do that here:

http://eurovision.ndr.de/hintergruende/volunteers101.html

PeterLPZ
14th January 2011, 21:41
Düsseldorf is a great town. I often was there and I like it very much. You will like it there.

Matt
27th February 2011, 16:47
From the 4th to the 14th May, the 6,300sqm facade of the Thyssen Hochhaus will be used to create the world’s largest television screen for the Eurovision Song Contest 2011.

The city-facing facade, which can be seen from as far as the Oberkassel and the Rhine bridges as well as the Downtown area, will bear the brunt of approximately 30 giant projectors for a number of live broadcasts, which may include the contest itself.

SOURCE (http://escdaily.com/articles/14726)

bella
28th February 2011, 13:44
wow, love the idea! Hope they´ll realise it.

Quent91
1st March 2011, 17:34
I think they chose a western city in Germany to offer more possibilities for the western people to go to the contest, after several years in the eastern part of Europe.

IMO...

SierraSprings
10th March 2011, 20:08
The only reason they chose Düsseldorf was that they had the biggest stadion (which is also owned by the city)! Biggest stadion = high ticket sales...
It definitely should have been Berlin, this city has Eurovision written all over it. Believe me, Düsseldorf is not the most popular place in Germany! :P
But nevertheless Im sure NDR will offer Europe a great show and if Lena is really able to win that damn thing again, I hope they will finally honor Berlin with hosting the ESC 2012! :D

katapult
11th March 2011, 15:57
:mrgreen: Helau Europe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WeA5yivrQk

Michelangelo
14th March 2011, 02:33
The only reason they chose Düsseldorf was that they had the biggest stadion (which is also owned by the city)! Biggest stadion = high ticket sales...
It definitely should have been Berlin, this city has Eurovision written all over it. Believe me, Düsseldorf is not the most popular place in Germany! :P
But nevertheless Im sure NDR will offer Europe a great show and if Lena is really able to win that damn thing again, I hope they will finally honor Berlin with hosting the ESC 2012! :D

Yeah, I know what you mean. When Germany won last year it never crossed my mind that another city than Berlin would host it. But I'm sure Düsseldorf will do a wonderful job as well. The city isn't that important afterall. It's all about the music. Let's hope for Berlin the next time, whenever it will be.