PDA

View Full Version : Lena set to defend her crown in 2011! Good or bad idea?

charlesf
31st May 2010, 16:04
It's official and no joke. Lena wants to compete again next year! She obviously very much enjoyed the experience. Both she and her mentor Stefan Raab stated that they do not believe in "quitting while on the top". She's still hungry.

This gives rise to several questions:

1) IS IT FAIR?

I've seen the odd forumite objecting to Lena once again competing on the grounds that it'd not be fair. I personally find this objection quite absurd. She'll have to compete for Europe's votes much as everyone else. Sure, given her stardom and her winner entry she'll get far more exposure and I dare say also open the evening with her winning song. But hey, at sports tournaments the better teams and players also get seeded...

2) WHAT ABOUT OTHER GERMAN TALENT?

Well, sure, it'd mean no other German performer gets a go in 2011 (unless Lena joins forces with other lead performers on the stage). But on the other hand, Lena's a tough act to follow. Moreover, Lena's at this point still very much "new German talent" herself! There will be plenty of other years for new talent to compete.

3) WHAT ABOUT THE NATIONAL SELECTION SHOW "UNSER STAR FÜR ..."?

In 2011 it'll be bound to be different in that it'd be probably called "Unser Song für Berlin" or such. Still gives viewers plenty of choice. Why change a winning team?

In any case, the ARD/NDR and PROSIEBEN are more than happy to go down that route, as they've said at their press conference this afternoon.

4) IS IT GOOD FOR LENA'S CAREER?

Impossible to say at this juncture. Clearly Lena's not interested in "playing it safe" and is hungry for continuing her ESC adventure. Seems she's now been converted herself to being an ESC fan!

5) CAN LENA WIN AGAIN?

If her song and performance are equally as popular across Europe in 2011 as this year, I dare say she'll win again. If not, well, then she won't win. I don't see juries and normal voters uncharitably refusing to vote for last year's champion on the grounds of Lena and Germany already having had their turn. If they love it, they'll vote for it.

One thing is for sure, Germans will proubly support her. She's after all arguably the most popular person in the country for many years (I'd argue in my lifetime). Not only do people love her as a person, but her music suits the taste of a musically reasonably sophisticated public that bemoaned many past German entries (though not all) being trashy or schlager-esque.

As the New York Times wrote, Lena dragged the ESC into the 21st century and reconnected the event with the record-buying public. A real revolution. And why shouldn't the pioneering revolutionary continue her adventure?

I'm most curious in what direction she'll go in 2011. It's going to be most intriguing to track her "path to Berlin" (yes, I'm very confident it'll be Berlin!). Lets see how this Sommermärchen ("summer fairytale") shall continue, I say. :)

So, what do you think?

MyHeartIsYours
31st May 2010, 16:13
BAD!!!!!!

It would just be greedy - maybe come back the year after but not next year.

31st May 2010, 16:17
Well, maybe it's a good idea for Germany's own sake but it's definitely a bad idea for many people who love ESC and don't like her song&performance.

Personally, I don't want to see her in the ESC at least in the year right after her victory. Maybe 6-7 years later, when she is better.

Margerita86
31st May 2010, 16:23
Given how previous winners has done when they have returned to the contest I think this is a bad idea.
Besides I don't like her as a performer either so I was actually hoping for a german entry I could like next year. While Lena returning doesn't entirely kill the idea that I will like the entry, it sure doesn't look good.

alca
31st May 2010, 16:27
Well charlesf, obviously I wasn't the only one who thought it would be a bad idea.

Quote from the 2011 section:

No you got me wrong. I don't dislike her and I adore her song. The fact that she's so young may affect her judgement. If the people behind her make her believe she can win again (well in the future maybe but not right after her victory) and she doesn't, that would devastate her!

And of course if people like her, she'll win again. But honestly I've seen it so many times. People who got a great result (I'm talking mostly about the NFs) and return again, don't get many votes. If Lena wants to try again she'll need a song better than Satellite! And yes you can find a better one but the fact that Lena will be singing again might have a negative affect on people. Europe might think "OK she won last year, why is she back?". I'm sorry but the way I see it, Lena's comeback won't have the same success as this year... :roll:

Don't be ridiculous. A Wimbledon champion has every right and is indeed expected to defend his title.

There's no written or unwritten rule against an ESC winner defending his or her title. You can then decide whether you wish to vote for her or not. Entirely up to you.
But look all the "champions" that returned!

Carola - Sweden 2006 - 5th place
Charlotte Perrelli - Sweden - 2008 - 18th
Niamh Kavanagh - Ireland - 2010 - 23rd

Not to mention the ones back in the 50's but those were different times...

Sway
31st May 2010, 16:32
Why not? If she and Germany wants her to represent Germany again it's up to them! As long as her head won't grow, cause then her personality will be gone... I feel like that happened to last years winner and it's a sad story...

94ayd
31st May 2010, 16:34
A VERY bad one actually.

Margerita86
31st May 2010, 16:35
Why not? If she and Germany wants her to represent Germany again it's up to them! As long as her head won't grow, cause then her personality will be gone... I feel like that happened to last years winner and it's a sad story...
I feel like Alexander had issues with accepting too many thing, he should have taken more breaks.

EvNickGR
31st May 2010, 17:08
Very bad...she will (possibly) fail and will be sad....

charlesf
31st May 2010, 17:14

Alexander Rybak strikes me as just as likable a guy now than a year ago. Give us something tangible. What do you base this opinion of yours on?

Matt
31st May 2010, 17:15
I am really against this idea. Germany has a large and diverse music market, give others the opportunity to represent Germany.

panakos
31st May 2010, 17:16
what has happened to Alexander?

charlesf
31st May 2010, 17:16
Given how previous winners has done when they have returned to the contest I think this is a bad idea.

Johnny Logan won. Besides, I don't think Top5 would be a disappointment for Lena.

Margerita86
31st May 2010, 17:20
what has happened to Alexander?
Mostly too much work and too little rest. He wrote online that he was having a nervous breakdown about a month, month and a half ago. There was also an article in swedish media about him punshing a wall in frustration last week.

Margerita86
31st May 2010, 17:21

Johnny Logan won. Besides, I don't think Top5 would be a disappointment for Lena.
Yeah, but that was also another era. It also happened during the era when Ireland won many times. But both of his songs are damn good too.

Deltage
31st May 2010, 17:25
I'll just copy what I wrote in the Satellite thread.

It seems to me as Lena had as much hype surrounding her as Safura did, just not as much from advertising/PR work. Next year she won't have that anymore and she will basically be old news. So her only way to do well is to become a really successful artist by the next ESC which of course can happen, but I'm not really sure it will (at least outside of Germany).

charlesf
31st May 2010, 17:28
I am really against this idea. Germany has a large and diverse music market, give others the opportunity to represent Germany.

That's of course a legitimate opinion. Though I hope you'll be fair to her in judging her entry on the merits rather than on whether you think this a bad idea or not.

Of course, since you didn't like Lena's Satellite, it's only too understandable that you're not enamored by this decision.

I just recommend everyone to keep an open mind. Lena's obviously hit a nerve in Europe. Lets wait and see what her next entry will bring.

My hope is that she'll enter with something that's closer to her core musical identity, i.e. closer to the quirky-jazzy performances in the USFO show. I mean, her rendiction of "Red Shoes", "My Same", "Neapolitan Dreams" etc. were utterly spectacular. Satellite is quite different from the songs she chose to perform herself.

I mean, she was initially disappointed that the public chose Satellite as the one song she ought to sing in Oslo! Remember that! Though she gave it the Lena-treatment. The original version of Satellite was actually a ballad, check out Jennifer Braun's version of it!

Expect a very different Lena next year round. In Germany, her more unconventional song performances were a huge success. So expect something less mainstreamy than Satellite (a very good sort of mainstream).

My sense is that showing a new side of herself to a massive worldwide public will be more important to her than actually winning. Though of course, she wouldn't mind winning either. :)

Matt
31st May 2010, 17:34

That's of course a legitimate opinion. Though I hope you'll be fair to her in judging her entry on the merits rather than on whether you think this a bad idea or not.

Of course, since you didn't like Lena's Satellite, it's only too understandable that you're not enamored by this decision.

I just recommend everyone to keep an open mind. Lena's obviously hit a nerve in Europe. Lets wait and see what her next entry will bring.

My hope is that she'll enter with something that's closer to her core musical identity, i.e. closer to the quirky-jazzy performances in the USFO show. I mean, her rendiction of "Red Shoes", "My Same", "Neapolitan Dreams" etc. were utterly spectacular. Satellite is quite different from the songs she chose to perform herself.

I mean, she was initially disappointed that the public chose Satellite as the one song she ought to sing in Oslo! Remember that! Though she gave it the Lena-treatment. The original version of Satellite was actually a ballad, check out Jennifer Braun's version of it!

Expect a very different Lena next year round. In Germany, her more unconventional song performances were a huge success. So expect something less mainstreamy than Satellite (a very good sort of mainstream).

My sense is that showing a new side of herself to a massive worldwide public will be more important to her than actually winning. Though of course, she wouldn't mind winning either. :)

Aehm, I really liked Satellite and was in my Top 10 so that's not it.

To me sending back the same artist who won the previous almost seems desperate. Lena made history two days ago and by going again the only thing she can do is to damage that image. If she wants to go back, that's fine I would just not be happy with that.

Deltage
31st May 2010, 17:34
There definitely are people that might not exactly have anything against Germany winning, but don't like Satellite or Lena (there always are, I remember what happened when Dima Bilan won for example and I myself didn't get the idea why Fairytale won). So I guess in some way it would be more "neutral" not to have the show centered around her (other than the traditional opening). But anyway, I agree that there should be some other artist representing Germany next year, especially if it would attract musicians that wouldn't really think of competing in ESC.

Matt
31st May 2010, 17:38
I agree, use that momentum ESC has right now. I'm quite sure a lot of singers/bands will be interested to represent germany next year.

charlesf
31st May 2010, 17:41
It seems to me as Lena had as much hype surrounding her as Safura did, just not as much from advertising/PR work.

But the "hype" was based on something very real. Her music was massively popular from the very beginning. Already after the very first notes she sang in her very first televised performance, my roommate told me: She's gotta win. Everyone knew she was special. Just watch the video of "My Same" and see how the star-studded jury reacted.

Next year she won't have that anymore and she will basically be old news.

I guess you consider any highly successsful act after a whole old news? :p

So her only way to do well is to become a really successful artist by the next ESC which of course can happen, but I'm not really sure it will (at least outside of Germany).

We'll see. I for one don't think her album is that strong. But most songs on it were composed by Raab, which isn't quite the direction I'd have gone in. I prefer her more in the singer-songwriter mode.

My hope she gets the chance to do a carefully crafted album by next May. I'm pretty sure that's gonna happen, with lots of the songs on it being voted on in the "Unser Song für Berlin" show. :)

Sean
31st May 2010, 17:48
It's a bad idea but if she wants to do it then I guess we're just lowly ESC fans and we can't stop her, but she sould just take the next year as it comes and be safe in the knowledge she will always be a part of ESC history :P

Deltage
31st May 2010, 17:49
I guess you consider any highly successsful act after a whole old news? :p

Did I say anywhere that it was my personal opinion? I assure you my opinion usually doesn't match with the standard mainstream one, besides most music artists I listen to are from like 10 years ago. I was trying to anticipate the feeling what the general ESC audience might have when she performs again next year.

But the "hype" was based on something very real. Her music was massively popular from the very beginning. Already after the very first notes she sang in her very first televised performance, my roommate told me: She's gotta win. Everyone knew she was special. Just watch the video of "My Same" and see how the star-studded jury reacted.

That's basically what I meant by "old news", next year they will already know that (well, at least the people who react to her like that) and if she can convert it into a massive fanbase that votes for her again, great for her. I just don't think it will happen.

Anyway, it's for her own good I think to focus on her career, so she doesn't become a one-hit-wonder like most ESC winners.

Metaller
31st May 2010, 17:53
As much as I like Lena and Satellite, I think it might not be the very best of ideas for a lot of different reasons:

1. Lena already had her chance, used it excellent and now has quite a bit of fame across Europe. So, give the same chance to another artist. Lena will (hpefully) not need that additional popularity at that point.

2. Hosting an ESC costs a lot of money. I think, knowing our ARD, that this will at least cost somewhere around 40 millions and up. So I think another round of casting show will garner more monetary revenue than just a selection process for a song for Lena.

3. Lena will be very likely not be the same fresh face we have seen this year. And there is the possibility that she won't have the same charme on stage. And in general it is mighty unlikely that she will win again. There might even be the possibility of a serious dump in the postions below top 15. And I don't want that to happen.

4. I actually want to see a new edition of USF(B? H?), cause I thought that it was the first actually worthwhile casting show in Germany up to this point. And when the quality is just as good (with perhpas a better song selection process at the final) I just will be mighty happy! 8-)

I thought of some other reasons when I started this post. But of course, I forgot them by now. :?

charlesf
31st May 2010, 17:55
To me sending back the same artist who won the previous almost seems desperate.

Why? Does a tennis star appear desperate to you for wanting to defend his Wimbledon title?

Lena made history two days ago and by going again the only thing she can do is to damage that image.

Did Carola damage her image with her 5th place? Or Johnny Logan with his two wins?

Don't see the huge difference.

If she wants to go back, that's fine I would just not be happy with that.

Fair enough.

I just think nobody ought to:

a) think any less of her because she wants to continue her ESC adventure

b) factor one's opinion on the merits of this move into one's voting decsion in 2011

If you like the song and performance, vote for it. If you don't, don't. That's Eurovision's simple "democracy". :)

Matt
31st May 2010, 17:58
A back to back participation is something I'm against....in a few years, that's a different story. Johnny Logan waited 7 years....carola waited 8 years and then another 14 years......

As said, I would find it to be a desperate move and I'd be quite disappointed in my country if they would decide to send her again.

charlesf
31st May 2010, 18:05
Anyway, it's for her own good I think to focus on her career, so she doiesn't become a one-hit-wonder like most ESC winners.

To roughly quote Lena in responding to a question about what importance she accords Oslo in her life back in March:

"I see life as walking along a road studded by trees on both sides, important events being the trees. Oslo's just a big tree, albeit in hindsight it will always be the biggest."

Vintage Lena my recollection cannot possibly do justice to.

Berlin 2011 would be just another big tree along her way.

If she enjoys a challenge some here think impossible (well, at least winning), more power to her. It might not be the ride you or I would have chosen, but one thing is sure: It's gonna be a fun ride.

31st May 2010, 18:06
A back to back participation is something I'm against....in a few years, that's a different story. Johnny Logan waited 7 years....carola waited 8 years and then another 14 years......

As said, I would find it to be a desperate move and I'd be quite disappointed in my country if they would decide to send her again.

Agree. Maybe in few years but not right after her victory. It would be a desperate move like you said.

Matt
31st May 2010, 18:07
actually carola waited 15 years.....my math sucks.

charlesf
31st May 2010, 18:10

It's official. It's gonna happen.

Matt
31st May 2010, 18:15

What's your source? I haven't heard anything official yet.

charlesf
31st May 2010, 18:20
actually carola waited 15 years.....my math sucks.

For my part, I'm not interested in oldschool ESC winners. Niamh's a very likable person, but I'm just not into that sorta oldschool ESC music.

I want modern contemporary music. Lena's the "posterchild" for that at the ESC. So that musical taste of mine goes a long way towards explaining why I'm excited by this move.

Obviously all conventional wisdom's against a back-to-back performance, especially after winning.

But Lena's unconventional, so also in this matter she's charting an unconventional course. I mean, it's like her decision not to give the slightest insight to the media into her private life (a very wise decision, imo). It irritates plenty of people, but it's her own course.

Some oddly think she's arrogant for refusing to give the press even an answer on whether any in her family accompanied her to Oslo. Others think she's arrogant for going for Berlin 2011.

I think that's weird. Now, you might not like that a star doesn't give you any insight into her private life and might not like her going for the ESC again. That's understandable enough (albeit not at all my view). But to consider her arrogant on account of that is something I can't for the life of me fathom.

charlesf
31st May 2010, 18:23

What's your source? I haven't heard anything official yet.

Today's press conference. Lena and Raab announced she'll be going for it in 2011, discussed how the selection will be about the song and the ARD and PROSIEBEN representatives nodded in unison.

Now, of course, official plans can be changed. Not like that never happens. But it's the official plan. It's gonna happen.

Matt
31st May 2010, 18:27
Yeah, cause Stefan Raab hasn't really a say in who will represent Germany next year. He can plead his case, that's all.

If Germany decides to send Lena again though, they certainly will use a lot of supporters (myself included).

LadyKiller
31st May 2010, 18:32
I don't mind seeing Lena again....after 10 years at least.

Scooby
31st May 2010, 18:37
It would be a bad idea, because it's always harder to defend a title than to win!

charlesf
31st May 2010, 18:38
Yeah, cause Stefan Raab hasn't really a say in who will represent Germany next year. He can plead his case, that's all.

Of course Raab doesn't decide these matters. NDR decides on how the process is run. And NDR's boss sat at the press conference, fully giving Lena the go-ahead.

It's a done deal. Get used to it. :)

If Germany decides to send Lena again though, they certainly will use a lot of supporters (myself included).

I suppose you meant to write "lose" instead of "use".

Fair enough. You can't please everyone. I mean, how many were very much against Lena in the finals? How many said she'd totally bomb in Oslo? We're not hearing so much from those folks these days, are we? :)

My motto for the ESC selection: In Raab we trust! And I am confident I'll like Lena's song very much. She's simply unique and special. Why change a winning team? They're hungry for another go. It's gonna be fun.

alca
31st May 2010, 19:00
Lena made history two days ago and by going again the only thing she can do is to damage that image.

Did Carola damage her image with her 5th place? Or Johnny Logan with his two wins?

Don't see the huge difference.
But both Logan and Carola had made big careers before they enter the contest for second time. Lena is just 19 which means that she'll begin her career now! I think she should wait a few years before trying again...

Bojan
31st May 2010, 19:14
THIS!

or do the same selection format again and find your self a new Lena ... or Lenon... or whatever! :lol:

Matt
31st May 2010, 19:23
Actually Jan Feddersen who is the german ESC expert and has his own blog on eurovision.de is very much against that idea and doesn't really think Raab is really serious about it and just trying to distract people for now.....we shall see ;)

Margerita86
31st May 2010, 19:27
Actually Jan Feddersen who is the german ESC expert and has his own blog on eurovision.de is very much against that idea and doesn't really think Raab is really serious about it and just trying to distract people for now.....we shall see ;)
I really hope he is just using it cover his real plans, mostly for Lena's case, even I don't like her much she should focus now on getting a career going really well. If she does succed in it by all means return in a few years.

Raul_Spain
31st May 2010, 19:41
What happened to the Bundesvision Song Contest? I've watched it several times and I liked it. Now that NDR and ProSieben are in love, why not to send the winner to the ESC?

Sim
31st May 2010, 19:42
would be nice, but the people would expect huge things of her

charlesf
31st May 2010, 20:05

Expert... schmexpert... He's about as right about this as with his prediction that Lena will only garner a 9th place.

Besides, he posted that BEFORE the press conference. Doubt he'd write the same now...

He's good at getting stuff wrong. :)

charlesf
31st May 2010, 20:10
What happened to the Bundesvision Song Contest? I've watched it several times and I liked it. Now that NDR and ProSieben are in love, why not to send the winner to the ESC?

For starters, because some acts that compete for the Bundesvision have no interest in competing in the ESC.

The USFO-Casting was the best solution as long as Germany's biggest acts don't want to participate in the ESC. And hey, I don't blame them really. The ESC first has to become a more serious competion. It's on its way there, but you still get plenty of dubious acts - and em doing shockingly well.

Improve the image of the ESC by having good contemporary acts win and you'll get more big acts participating.

Interrail
31st May 2010, 21:20
I wouldn't mind Lena competing again for Germany or any other country...
But I think it's not a good idea, it's not likely she can win again 2 years in a row, ppl would probably just ignore the act, even if it would be good.
Also, I feel a bit uncomfortable and said when I see former participants (who did well in their time) coming back and flopping (Niamh for example..).

charlesf
31st May 2010, 21:54
But I think it's not a good idea, it's not likely she can win again 2 years in a row, ppl would probably just ignore the act, even if it would be good.

I doubt many think that way. Largely because I myself don't think that way. Acts I like can come back as often as they please. :)

FallenAngelII
31st May 2010, 22:18
How would it not be unfair for Lena to get to perform both as the opening act and to enter the contest as a guaranteed entrant in the final? And how is it comparable to seeding?!

Letting Lena choose which spot she wants to perform at in the final is comparable to seeding. Letting her perform "for free" as the opening number is the equivalent of giving her 5 free shots at scoring a goal before the game even begins.

charlesf
31st May 2010, 22:56
How would it not be unfair for Lena to get to perform both as the opening act and to enter the contest as a guaranteed entrant in the final? And how is it comparable to seeding?!

Consider it part of the prize of winning. It's like the host nation of the world cup being automatically qualified and seeded.

If Europe then says, well, we liked the first song she sang better than her 2011 entry, then that'll negatively impact on her votes. So it cuts both ways.

And, most people seem to think it'll rather hurt than help her chances in 2011 that she won previously. I doubt that is the case though.

dogmeat
1st June 2010, 12:33
Each year provides us with some interesting personalities. They all compose some unique image, a unique atmosphere of certain contest. I would see no point in watching ESC if the same atmosphere was repeated every year by the same people. From a show it would turn into simple contest which you watch only to support your country or favourite artist. And this is what distinguish Eurovision from Wimbledon: that it's not only about winning. So please, don't destroy Eurovision soul just because you want to win at low cost.

And keep in mind that Lena didn't win. It was her song. She neither showed any breathtaking vocal abilities, nor any other talent. All what she brought to german entry was her charming personality. And it shouldn't be difficult to find another charming girl on a casting, will it? ;]

No Name
1st June 2010, 12:49
That would be a very, very bad thing. Eurovision can't be compared to any kind of sport competition. Eurovision is much more about winning, it's also about showing some diverse and different acts each year. What would Eurovision be otherwise? A big and succesful country like Germany having plenty of great artists, should undoubtedly be able to send something appealing again without doing over-kill on Lena. Lena has had her time. For Eurovision's own good, please let a new German artist shine in Berlin next year.

KilledByShoes
1st June 2010, 12:50
I voted "Bad idea!" because I find it quite silly. Don't get me wrong, I liked her song a lot but I think she could use the attention she's getting in a much better way such as starting a career. Trying to win ESC again seems rather low in ambition, doesn't it? She's already won it, now move on, girl!
Also, I agree with dogmeat on unique atmosphere of each year. Now imagine every country kept sending the same acts over and over! It would be rather boring (and Slovenia would get stuck with the worst style ever :lol: ).

alca
1st June 2010, 13:04
(and Slovenia would get stuck with the worst style ever :lol: ).
:lol: :lol: So true! :lol: :lol:

Stella
1st June 2010, 13:05
oh God,no!
it was too much for me this year..But if she will get a place she deserves (not top 24) then I will watch. :)

Margerita86
1st June 2010, 15:20
I voted "Bad idea!" because I find it quite silly. Don't get me wrong, I liked her song a lot but I think she could use the attention she's getting in a much better way such as starting a career. Trying to win ESC again seems rather low in ambition, doesn't it? She's already won it, now move on, girl!
Also, I agree with dogmeat on unique atmosphere of each year. Now imagine every country kept sending the same acts over and over! It would be rather boring (and Slovenia would get stuck with the worst style ever :lol: ).
Yes, Eurovision is much different from sports. I feel eurovision would probably loose it's appeal if you knew when the competition started that the same performer would be there next year again. Fresh faces and songs keeps the attmosphere alive. And I mean fresh as in new to the audience, not necessarily young.

FallenAngelII
1st June 2010, 17:21

Consider it part of the prize of winning. It's like the host nation of the world cup being automatically qualified and seeded.

If Europe then says, well, we liked the first song she sang better than her 2011 entry, then that'll negatively impact on her votes. So it cuts both ways.

And, most people seem to think it'll rather hurt than help her chances in 2011 that she won previously. I doubt that is the case though.
Did you, you know, read my entry before replying to it? It would not be comparable to seeding at all! Seeing as how you clearly didn't or were unable to understand what you read, you leave me no choice but to elaborate eloquently as to leave no room for future misunderstandings on your part:

Seeding is when you give someone a favourable position because they performed well in the past, thus you pair them up with the lowest seeded ("worst") teams so that you don't have the really good teams knocking each other out in the early rounds, ending up with a final where one team creams the other.

The point of seeding isn't merely to give the previous winner an advantage but also to make the contest more fair. The 2nd best team should never have to lose to the best team in the first round due to catastrophic seeding because that would make for a really bad and boring tournament. The point of seeding isn't necessarily to give the previous winner an advantage (because you seed everyone, not just the winner) but to make tournaments fair and balanced.

If one were to do the equivalent to seeding in the Eurovision Song Contest, one would simply give the best placed entry(/-ies) from the previous year the option of picking which position they would like to perform at in the (semi-)final. As a previous winner, Lena would get first pick (she'd probably pick spot #25 (or #24 depending on whether or not Turkey gets automatic qualification to the final in Germany's place). That is comparable to seeding in sports.

But it's not entirely compatible with the Eurovision Song Contest. In Competitive sports, you generally keep the same players around if they won the last world cup since they were really, really good. You train them to keep them in shape and maybe even better shape than last year, thus, you will enter next year's tournament with a team just as good or better (generally speaking). In Eurovision, that can never be the case since you may keep the same artist but never the same song (unless you self-plagiarize, but I think that's against the rules). Lena would be competing with an entirely different song.

To allow Lena to open the final with a rendition of "Satellite" lets her perform twice on the Eurovision stage in the final. It gives her more exposure, more screen-time, more time to show Europe her talents as a performer.

A suitable analogy would be to allow last year's winning soccer team the chance of scoring 5 goals before each match. Before each match, the team gets 5 shots at the goal (with or without a goalie) simply because they won last time and thus we should give them a really, really unfair advantage.

So, no, letting her perform twice on final night is not the same thing as seeding at all!

(Your ridiculous point of "Well, if Europe like 'Satellite' more than her 2011 entry, it might be a disadvantage for her" is easily refuted by "Well, what if they like her 2011 entry more than her 2010 entry, yet they like 5 other entries more than her, but her unfair advantage make her stick in their minds more, thus they end up voting for her more than they would have had she only gotten to perform once")

charlesf
1st June 2010, 23:51
Seeding of course is not exactly analogous. If that's your issue, then consider South Africa autoqualifying as a host for the World Cup. They won the bid to host and autoqualification is one of the perks you won by doing so.

>>>> To allow Lena to open the final with a rendition of "Satellite" lets her perform twice on the Eurovision stage in the final. It gives her more exposure, more screen-time, more time to show Europe her talents as a performer.

Win the contest and then you deserve that extra exposure. There's nothing in the EBU rules against participating in the next year. Plenty of acts have already done just that (though they didn't win the first in their series). Just because nobody hasn't done it yet, doesn't mean that you can't do it. Or that you ought to lose the honour of opening the evening - that's part of the prize of winning!

FallenAngelII
2nd June 2010, 00:10
Seeding of course is not exactly analogous. If that's your issue, then consider South Africa autoqualifying as a host for the World Cup. They won the bid to host and autoqualification is one of the perks you won by doing so.
Yes? As the winner of the previous year's Eurovision, the host country is already automatically qualified for the final. There already exists such a "perk" for winning the ESC. Your own analogy beats your own (lack of) logic.

Win the contest and then you deserve that extra exposure.
No you don't.

There's nothing in the EBU rules against participating in the next year. Plenty of acts have already done just that (though they didn't win the first in their series).
How do you know? Have you read them all? And I'm pretty sure the EBU wouldn't appreciate an artist opening a contest and participating at the same time. There was rumbling about bias in Belgrade when Jocsimovic was both the author of Serbia's entry and one of the hosts. And if Lena decides to compete again, I'm sure the EBU will quickly pass some new rules that state that she cannot participate in the show other than performing her entry.

Just because nobody hasn't done it yet, doesn't mean that you can't do it.
Nobody said you can't. We said you shouldn't.

Or that you ought to lose the honour of opening the evening - that's part of the prize of winning!
The prize of winning is not to get a blatantly unfair advantage the following year! What's next, you can include your competing artist in the half-time shows for further exposure? After all, you won last year!

Or feature your representative as a host, thus giving them more exposure. I mean, you won last time, right? And winning gives you the honor of presenting a half-time show and selecting hosts!

Pietclock
2nd June 2010, 16:37
I think it is a very bad idea. Stefan Raab, who casted her obviously is getting a bit ahead of himself here. I think it is his strategy to control the public broadcaster NDR. He is not doing Lena a favor with that, and if you read between the lines, NDR is not too happy about that. I also think Lena is not that fond of it, she always said doing plans so far ahead is not her way of deciding things.
The last word has not been spoken I am sure, also because the reaction in Germany has been quite lukewarm about this...
Most famous Eurovision experts are not agreeing with it.

Raab simply is a smart strategist. He wants to earn a lot money with her... his big problem is however, that Eurovision is done by public TV while he is working for a commercial station. He likes to be in control however.

I hope NDR will slow him down a bit, which would also be good for Lena Meyer-Landrut.

Margerita86
2nd June 2010, 18:51
I really hope you are right Picklock, at least for Lena's sake.
Her returning could be done in a few years when she is more established in the industry. Like with our own Carola who tried to enter again in eurovision about 7 years later after her 3rd place.

Shalala
2nd June 2010, 22:50
I wouldn't take it all too seriously. I personally don't believe that she will be starting next year and i also think, it would be a bad idea.

It's pretty obvious that she's being pushed by Stefan Raab and that statement was 1 day after winning and nearly 360 days before the next ESC. There will be very much time to redecide and to start a new casting. And for Lena to realize that she cannot win a second time.

I am absolutely sure it's a big disadvantage. She would be better next year, the song could(!) be better, but i believe that juries and audience will vote a lot less likely for the same person again.

Its anyways very very hard for whoever will follow as german participant.

charlesf
3rd June 2010, 02:46
And for Lena to realize that she cannot win a second time.

You simply don't know that. There's no evidence to prove your assertion. This is just your own hunch.

An ESC entry has statistically a 2-3% chance of winning. Obviously Lena would have a better chance than that. She's famous and she's liked across the continent, both as a musician and person. And her style fits the times.

I think that counts for something. Say a 10-20% chance of winning. And when we know what she'll sing, we can handicap her chances a lot better.

Just because nobody has won twice in a row doesn't mean it's impossible. It's merely unlikely.

FallenAngelII
3rd June 2010, 03:14
An ESC entry has statistically a 2-3% chance of winning.
That's not how statistics work in the ESC because it is not random.

Just because nobody has won twice in a row doesn't mean it's impossible. It's merely unlikely.
Johnny Logan has won thrice... twice as a singer and once as merely a composer. It has happened. It's only happened once, though.

94ayd
3rd June 2010, 10:16
Johnny Logan has won thrice... twice as a singer and once as merely a composer. It has happened. It's only happened once, though.

IN A ROW, Hello! :lol: Do 1980, 1987 & 1992 follow each other...

Shalala
3rd June 2010, 11:05
IN A ROW, Hello! :lol: Do 1980, 1987 & 1992 follow each other...
Ha, they don't. :?

The only real reference is from 1958, when a winner tried it directly again and fell from the first palce on the last place.

And if Lena has a chance at all, it's not 2-3% or 10-20%. We don't know it because none of the songs/artists are already known. And then ESC always had the potential for big surprises.

I just think you shouldn't try to defend the title. Many won't vote a second time in a row the same artist for different reasons (many were mentionned already and i personnally wouldn't vote for the last years winner because i'd like to have a new winner).

samy2010
3rd June 2010, 12:30
Absolutely great idea!! 8-)

teroh
3rd June 2010, 15:27
All the experts and Eurovision guys in Germany say "NO" (and most of the Lena fans, too!), so I guess Raab will eventually have to back down.

With each day that passes, I'm getting more and more sure that Lena will not participate again. ;)

alca
3rd June 2010, 15:37
Good for her.

teroh
3rd June 2010, 15:52
Actually the idea was completely Raab's, Lena just said "yea why not" and that was basically in the middle of the celebrations of the victory!

Raab was getting a bit megalomaniac, thinking that only Lena was able to win for Germany (which is nonsense, obviously) and Raab wants to win with his own song in one of the next few years, that's very obvious.

He will not be able to let go of the Contest until he finally wins with his own song. He wants the trophy in his own cupboard, not in the one of an American who had never heard about ESC until 3 months ago, and I'm sure he will succeed eventually, but not with Lena.

Raab's songs have always been successful in the ESC (1998: #7, 2000: #5, 2004: #8) so he knows how to write songs that stand a chance in the contest.

wittgenstein
3rd June 2010, 16:49
worst idea.

Milos-BC
6th June 2010, 16:03
Yeah, I think that was just a rumor. But it is a bad idea, and a very bad one. She won, and she has a big potential to build her career on that victory, and by participating again she can only end up (much) worse than in Oslo.

teroh
6th June 2010, 19:38
But who knows, Raab is a professional who only plays to win. If he gets his own song into the competition next year with Lena, he will even make much more effort than this year, because then he wants to achieve something nobody has ever achieved in the ESC (winning twice in a row with the same artist). And he will not refrain from spending a lot of money and doing all the promotion he can to make sure for a very good result.

I'm pretty sure that if Lena competes again in 2011, she will be the runaway youtube winner once again. And youtube winners never fail dramatically.

So I guess if she participates next year again (with a Raab song probably) she will be Top 10 despite all the haters, because Raab does not fail and will not fail.

Plus, she would get her own show in which the audience chooses only the song. And then there will be more songs than only 3 to choose from, that's for sure. They will make sure that she has a song that's even better than Satellite (a tough challenge for Raab to compose a song better than Satellite, but he has about 10 months, so he may be able to do it ^^)

But, as stated previously, nothing is decided yet. I would say the chances of Lena competing again are around 50% at the moment.

charlesf
8th June 2010, 16:33
But, as stated previously, nothing is decided yet. I would say the chances of Lena competing again are around 50% at the moment.

Not decided yet?!?

Wanna take up a fifty-fifty bet? :)

JackBauer
9th June 2010, 07:50
I think singers & composers in general don't get what it takes to win eurovision.

It takes a song, sometimes a good one :cry: a great performances but also a great draw, a lot of luck, it depends on song before and after you etc.

A lot of amazing singers, with great songs have entered the contest only to achieve a decent top 10 and sometimes a very disapointed placing.

You can watch all eurovision again, how many times do you really thing the best song & performance did win? i would say no higher than 10 times. People votes for something they like after all, they don't vote for it because it was something greatly performed or a good song.

Should have Lena sing at number two, between let's say Romania, Iceland & France & Moldova after it i don't think she would have won and it's true for 99% of the previous winner in my opinion.

Lena was great and europe liked her and she should be happy with it.

Look at Charlotte in 08, Chiara in 09. Their song & performance weren't that bad and still they scored almost nothing from people who put them on top a few years ago.

If any winner thinks he won because he was simply the best vocally & had the best song and that with another good song he will win for sure then he is a perfect idiot.m

manialf
12th June 2010, 13:46
She will release a new single soon. Called touch a new day from her album

Listen to it: http://eurovisiontimes.wordpress.com/20 ... a-new-day/ (http://eurovisiontimes.wordpress.com/2010/06/12/lenas-new-single-touch-a-new-day/)

teroh
12th June 2010, 16:59
She will release a new single soon. Called touch a new day from her album

Listen to it: http://eurovisiontimes.wordpress.com/20 ... a-new-day/ (http://eurovisiontimes.wordpress.com/2010/06/12/lenas-new-single-touch-a-new-day/)

This is a PITCHED version (so that it's not detected by the Brainpool police) !! Not the original. The original version cannot be listened to on Youtube, which will unfortunately hold true for all Lena songs except Satellite.

Her record company does not like Youtube at all, it's just like that. Satellite, too, got deleted for a long time whenever it was uploaded, and it was only after huge protest from the fans that they finally seemed to understand that Youtube is important for an ESC entry.

But since her following singles won't be ESC entries, there's no chance for them to survive on Youtube.

Jukica
21st June 2010, 13:36
Bad idea because other singers deserve a chance too and she could flop with 2 years in row ... she could wait 1 or 2 years

Dervan
22nd June 2010, 21:59
I still don't know whether its a good or bad idea...

but funny to read that some other artist wont have the chance to participate by a second lena esc entry and she should start some years later... it doesnt make a difference if she starts 2011 or 2020... both possibilities mean other artists wont have a chance ^^

Lizo
26th June 2010, 02:03
well, raab is known for some "crazy" and risky ideas... the good or bad thing is, that they are almost always a success.... one argument for lena in esc2011 is, that they can start to prepare for it now. im sure lena wants to write an own song and show it to europe. and im pretty sure that she will surprise everyone. there are so many people wo say that she cant sing and dance. but she takes dance lessons since she was 5 and she could easily dance some michael jackson choreo when she wants itt xD. she even surprised everyone in the national final with this song

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd8qvs ... sity_music (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd8qvs_lena-mr-curiosity_music)

stefan raabs jurycomment to this performance: wow! i never thought that you can actually sing! xD

ParadiseES
30th June 2010, 21:45
It looks like it's official. Lena will represent Germany for the second year in a row.

Obviously, as a huge majority says, that's not a good idea. Actually, I don't know what they were thinking to take this decission, both Lena and NDR... :?

AlekS
30th June 2010, 23:32
Personally, I don't care. I didn't vote for her in 2010 and I won't vote for her in 2011 most def.
If Germany has no other performers, it's sad, imo. If she wants to turn on female Bilan and perform so often.... that's her right xshrug
But honestly, I expected something new from Germany, just like I expect something new from Russia :|

Also for the 1st time I agree with JackBauer :)

It's a roulette... someone can say that Bilan won after all but he was totally F-ed in the A by the media and people's opinion during his 3rd time that's why he refused. It was disgrace and HUGE negative reaction from the media and people, even from politicians, lol. Imo, he even hurt his career because of that cuz let's be honest, he has already had his peak. His producer even said that he will never participate as a solo act again (hallelujah!), because obviously it will kill him - becoming only ESC-oriented performer ... lol :lol: Right now he has already lost his previous enormous success (which lasted almost for a decade in ex-USSR), mainly because of his 2nd try. It was TOO much.

If she doesn't want to become a singer in the future, it won't hurt her. But I'd gave a chance for someone else.

jaws
3rd July 2010, 16:52
Well....It's the song that counts. Not the singer. If Lena has another popular song, she can win. If she presents germany for the third time on a row and her song is again from this age, she can win again...

Will someone finally beat Johny Logan this time :p

AlekS
3rd July 2010, 18:03
Performance counts. Performer AND the song cuz someone has to perform this song.
For the 3rd time? Will Germany totally run out of singers? :shock:
Anyway, it would be cool if she changes direction... if she sings a haunting ballad then she would surprise me =)

Matt
3rd July 2010, 20:10
if she thinks something similar like Mr. Curiosity then I may change my mind.

SKkbFYi8rQA

Lizo
3rd July 2010, 21:39
or something like this :D

Wpiqv6Jm3C8

paddyirl
10th July 2010, 18:41
I think there will be major backlash against this, if she wanted to go again she could have waited a few years but straight away doesn't look good.

Also if she goes for a similar syle song it definatly won't win. Her style was unique and hearing it a second time is like a joke, first time you hear a joke its hilarious and the second time its only mildly amusing.

teroh
10th July 2010, 21:28
Since Raab is gonna compose the song (99% sure), it certainly won't be anything like Satellite. Raab can't compose songs like Satellite, it's not his style.

Lidija
12th July 2010, 09:07
Since Raab is gonna compose the song (99% sure)

... source? I haven't read anything about it so far.

Milos-BC
12th July 2010, 09:28
There is no official source yet, but since it was his idea from the start, it's logical to think that way.

I also believe that Raab will write the 2011 entry

Lidija
12th July 2010, 11:56
I met him a couple of times, of course he is eager to write the song himself, but he can also accept if somebody else has a better song. Just like this year. He said already during the official USFO presentation in January that he is not necessarily the composer and I don't think that he changed his mind about it.

teroh
12th July 2010, 16:16
I really hope that he competes with other composers again and I also hope that they keep the composers secret just like this year.

In the USFO show, they kept saying that they only care about the song itself, not about who wrote it or where it comes from. And that's the right attitude. They have to stick with this concept next year too.

If Raab's song wins like that, it's a fair selection, but otherwise not really.

Cole
29th July 2010, 21:18
as she said, people in sport can defend their title, so why not eurovision.
I said this on another forum, but i really dont see her winning, and possibly not even top 5, but to be fair i didnt see her winning this year.. who knows

cecilla
6th August 2010, 20:06
It's quite a bad idea I think...
First, it's too bad that we miss the chance to find some talented voices...
:(
Second, people always like something new... I think Lena won't win again...
It's not good for her career. So, don't be greedy, Germany.
Just hold Lena on the top.

DominikS
6th August 2010, 20:40
I think if she returns for the second time, with a good song, and a good performance, she could definitely win again! It might be a bit harder, but she definitely still can do it.

bashers
9th August 2010, 15:11
Personally, I dont think it would be too fair. She would clearly be the favourite and because of the exposure will no doubt get good results if not win!

Maybe the year after next but give other German talent the opportunity to do just as well as Lena.

Muireanne
5th October 2010, 19:00
1) IS IT FAIR?

Why not? There have been artists before her who went to the ESC more than once. Johnny Logan, Dima Bilan, Helena Paparizou (excuse the wrong spelling perhaps), Niamh Kavanagh, ...

2) WHAT ABOUT OTHER GERMAN TALENT?

There's still 2012. I don't think she'll come back a 3th time.

3) WHAT ABOUT THE NATIONAL SELECTION SHOW "UNSER STAR FÜR ..."?

Costs too much... maybe next year again.

4) IS IT GOOD FOR LENA'S CAREER?

No idea. We'll have to wait and see for that. After all... it's just the ESC.

5) CAN LENA WIN AGAIN?

Who knows... but I doubt it.

A.B.
16th October 2010, 17:11
I like this idea because it's something new. Watching a ESC former winner defending her crown will make the Eurovision Song Contest more exciting for the viewers IMO :!:

Tribeca
22nd October 2010, 19:27
I'm pretty sure they're going to do something similar to Unser star für Oslo, but with a million songs instead of a million singers :p

Meaning: Raab can't possibly write all the songs. And I'm also sure Lena is going to write something too... we'll see, but I think Germany's going to do well next year too!

A-lister
9th December 2010, 16:02
I'm not too fond of comebacks in Eurovision generally, so obviously I'm opposed to the idea of a comeback the year after.

Since the contest is going to be held in Germany, I'd like for a bigger name and something more "German", I guess we won't get that now.

I really wanted Helene Fischer :oops:

Tribeca
10th December 2010, 23:52
I'm not too fond of comebacks in Eurovision generally, so obviously I'm opposed to the idea of a comeback the year after.

Since the contest is going to be held in Germany, I'd like for a bigger name and something more "German", I guess we won't get that now.

I really wanted Helene Fischer :oops:

What do you mean with "something more German"? :p

A-lister
11th December 2010, 00:02
What do you mean with "something more German"? :p

Well, to start with it could be in German language.

But with Lena somehow I don't see that happening.

94ayd
11th December 2010, 09:18
Well, if you had no idea who Lena was, I don't think your first association with her would be Germany... ;)

MyHeartIsYours
12th December 2010, 01:52
She does act German-like lol.

broomhelga
13th December 2010, 19:32
Well, to start with it could be in German language.

But with Lena somehow I don't see that happening.

Maybe she should try and sing in the English language this time :lol:

A-lister
13th December 2010, 21:42
Maybe she should try and sing in the English language this time :lol:

Why? She's representing Germany not UK, and IN Germany aswell.

As for her English; she tries too hard, but she's no worse than many others.

Matt
13th December 2010, 21:48
Her whole accent thing is done on purpose and was pushed by Raab and Lena herself when it became such a hot topic (meaning you either love it or hate it but you notice it). This has become part of her charm so I'm pretty certain her next song will be in english, too.

BallsOfSteel
30th January 2011, 17:44
Hey Folks,

I was talking to a friend of mine from Germany and he told me that not only Lena will represent Germany again - they didnt even had a contest with other young singers, it was decided in the same night she won in Oslo - but also that she is going to present her new CD songs (about 12) and Germany will have to pic one of them to be presented in Dusseldorf.

I voted for Lena last year and was really glad she won, but I also think that she had her chance already and should have given the chance to another young german singer to have a shot at it.

But my opinion is not so important, Id rather know what you guys think about that.

xcheers

Matt
30th January 2011, 17:47
I moved your question over here as we already have a thread for this. People were mostly against it but accepted it as a fact as it was pretty much decided on the day after the contest.

BallsOfSteel
30th January 2011, 17:59
If she and Germany wants her to represent Germany again it's up to them!

As far as I know Germany didn´t have the chance to choose that, they decided it at the moment she won the contest... if I was german I wouldnt be amused!

Matt
30th January 2011, 18:01
Well I am german myself and I am not the biggest fan of that idea but it appears the casual fans love the idea and it's set in stone. Tomorrow is the first semi where Lena is going to perform 6 songs and then the following another 6 songs.
It's a different approach, at least the public has a say in the song selection.

EvNickGR
1st February 2011, 18:38
It is a nice idea, but i wouldn't do it...we will see...

charlesf
8th February 2011, 03:46
Well, with "Push Forward", I consider it a seriously good idea! Luv the song.

adnar
9th February 2011, 18:09
After I heard all the songs I must say it's definately not a good idea.

All the songs on CD are good, but it's not an Eurovision material. I mean - Sattelite was just made for Eurovision and suited the contest perfectly. The song had a very easy to remember lyrics, good chorus, funny and easy going performance. The songs Lena sing now are as I said - good, but mostly a radio material. I remember that when a second single came to Poland ("Touch a new day") I read many comments from Polish listeners that this song is so weak and she had such a promising start with "Sattelite". I think making a preselection from a CD material is a bad idea in general (unless the performer sings some pop music that sticks in your mind easily). For example in 2008 Sirusho had 4 very good songs, all sounded like they were made for Eurovision. Anyway - I am sure that if there was an open selection and Lena was one of the performers, she would win with whatever she sings.

And is it fair? There is nothing unfair about it. German tv made a choice and it's not a first time when one performer represents his/her country two times in a row or many times within few years.

Sabiondo
10th February 2011, 05:19
Just i dunno who i can't say.. Only know that Stefan Raab knows who he do :D

EvNickGR
10th February 2011, 22:07
I heard the songs too, and i didn't like any of them...she is on risk...:S

Quent91
11th February 2011, 18:48
She'll win again, so it's a good idea.

Rusch
18th February 2011, 09:03
Just i dunno who i can't say.. Only know that Stefan Raab knows who he do :D

The point is, that Stefan Raab is a very clever guy with an incredible feeling for pushing songs and placing them. I say, that this "Lets defend the titel" thing is a bad idea, but I'm not sure, if Stefan had the right feeling once again. Let's see. I don't think, that Lena will win, but a good rating is possible.

Matt
18th February 2011, 13:43
There was in interesting article on escdaily

Stefan Raab has admitted for the first time that he is now doubting his Eurovision 2011 concept, whereby Lena will defend her title again. Speaking with weekly journal ’Der Spiegel’, he admitted that “it could be that sending Lena to defend her title was a crap idea (Scheißidee)“.

Raab and his team have faced criticism over the national final semifinals, the second of which saw on 1.82 million viewers tune in. One critic described it as ‘tedious’, whilst another compared it with the programming of the state broadcaster in North Korea.

He did, though, explain how he had to pick up the pieces of the entire Eurovision selection. “I had to build up this destroyed wasteland again”, he explained. Despite initial doubts in the public domain over Lena taking part again, Raab has stuck with the concept.

Charley
19th February 2011, 22:13
That article distorted Raab's statement considerably though. He did NOT suggest that sending her again was indead a bad idea, only that you can never be sure of anything really. All he said was "Maybe it was a crappy idea, but I don't think so"

cool_boy_93
24th February 2011, 20:09
Don't know.I sure only for one thing-no matter how good Lena's song is,Germany won't win again this year.

Mark-ESC14
24th February 2011, 20:12
Winning the Contest 2 times in a row is already minuscule, but with the same singer it's almost impossible. And the song of this year isn't as good as Satellite.