http://esceurovision.com/song/flag/Italy-flag.gif

http://xmages.net/storage/10/1/0/7/1/upload/3f9a0122.png

Performed by: Raphael Gualazzi
Lyrics by: Raphael Gualazzi
Composed by: Raphael Gualazzi
Language: Italian, English

Sim
2nd May 2010, 07:18
I think it would be great if Italia came back.
It would support countries like Andorra,Liechtenstein,Austria and San Marino to come back;)

wittgenstein
3rd May 2010, 18:58
alice could make her comeback!

Isabella
3rd May 2010, 19:19
So sad that Italy isn't participating on ESC. I would be so happy to see Italy again. Maybe Laura Pausini :D and the song should be in Italian, such a beautiful language.

AlekS
3rd May 2010, 20:53
EBU has already had negotiations with RAI last year so I dunno... There was ESC-themed show which lasted for a month or so, I don't remember, in 2008.
Who knows.

ParadiseES
6th May 2010, 12:48
EBU has already had negotiations with RAI last year so I dunno... There was ESC-themed show which lasted for a month or so, I don't remember, in 2008.
Who knows.

Not an ESC-themed show. Raffaela Carrá (singer and host of Spanish NF 2008) had a show on RAI (I don't know if it's still now) where she brought some ESC singers. I think they were Dima Bilan and Ani Lorak, but not sure.
It looked like a try to get the attention of the Italian audience, who thinks ESC finished when they left and show them it's a succesful contest now (unlike when they left)

Raul_Spain
6th May 2010, 16:25
I don't think they even know Italy were in it before. ESC was never popular there. We should blame RAI for that and their stupid aim (hopelessly) to promote San Remo outside Italy, the main reason imo for not taking part. :x

I've watched some San Remo finals and I've found it xpuke The songs are good but the rest is xrofl3
And when RAI plays the Te Deum before the show starts I think WTF :shock: LOL San Marino should be watching this too :lol:

AlekS
6th May 2010, 17:12
Not an ESC-themed show. Raffaela Carrá (singer and host of Spanish NF 2008) had a show on RAI (I don't know if it's still now) where she brought some ESC singers. I think they were Dima Bilan and Ani Lorak, but not sure.

which means ESC-themed show? :roll: :lol: Where exactly have you seen that I said that the whole show was ESC-themed?

from eurovision.tv: "According to various sources, participants from Latvia, Israel and Greece are, amongst others, on the nomination to be invited to Rome! "
There were near 15 performers, I remember I've been reading about that somewhere, back then.

When they left they've already won in 1990 and they finished in the top-5 in 1992, they came back in 1997 and finished in the top-5 again :lol: so I don't think that 3 top-5 positions (incl. 1 victory) within 5 editions can be considered unsuccessful ... or RAI has too high expectations, imo :lol:
RAI should stop flirting with EBU and ESC department, having negotiations in 2009 and 2010 and finally join ESC 2011, gawd dammed :lol: 8-)

btw, San Remo had the worst ratings of the decade last year so imo it's time for RAI to drag their ass and do something, it will be good for both contests.

94ayd
6th May 2010, 17:16
I know. What do they expect?! Winning every year?! :shock:

ParadiseES
7th May 2010, 00:01
^
I didn't mean Italy's success in ESC. I meant the contest itself. We can't deny the 90's were the worst time for ESC in terms of success and ratings. It was almost dead until Dana's arrival in 1998 (when Italy was already gone) ;)

94ayd
7th May 2010, 00:06
Well, I've no idea cause I was born in 1994. :lol: At least the 90s are my favourite decade until now (it's hard to decide but is seems as if this one is the most close to me, after all, as mentioned I was born in 1994).

AlekS
7th May 2010, 00:33
If I remember correctly ESC ratings in Italy were still high then.
Unofficial reason from officials (if that makes sense) - RAI wanted to promote San Remo.
It didn't help though as we can see now :lol:

iowacorn
17th May 2010, 11:33
PLEASE COME BACK!

JackBauer
18th May 2010, 00:02
Well, I've no idea cause I was born in 1994. :lol:

:shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm old :cry: :cry:

KilledByShoes
26th May 2010, 14:07
I don't think it's very likely that Italy will return (although I'd love to see them take part!) because as you've already said RAI is not bothered to join in again. I don't get it, though, why can't you have both San Remo and ESC? And even if they wouldn't win every year ( :lol: ) they would probably still get lots of viwers and make money with comercals etc.

94ayd
26th May 2010, 14:08
I believe they'd be way more popular than the other big 4 countries. ;)

ParadiseES
27th May 2010, 00:38
Stockselius said today at the press conference that he doesn't think RAI is willing to return, but they are closer every year.

Matt
27th May 2010, 00:40
Well, even if they get Italy to return next year or in the near future I believe they would withdraw shortly after again unless they win....I mean they ended up in 4th place in 1997 and still withdrew.

94ayd
27th May 2010, 00:40
That's a good thing. ;) We'll, hopefully, have them by 2015.

AlekS
27th May 2010, 01:02
Well, even if they get Italy to return next year or in the near future I believe they would withdraw shortly after again unless they win....I mean they ended up in 4th place in 1997 and still withdrew.

on the other hand there are new RAI officials since then :)

Matt
27th May 2010, 01:09
Well, we'll see how it goes. I'm just not very supportive of countries who are sore losers. (and i'm referring to the ones in charge, not the people of course).
I'd love for Italy to return but only if they reall want to be part of the contest.

ParadiseES
27th May 2010, 01:14
^

Well, they actually withdrew before (1992, 1993...?? not sure). 1997 was just a quick return, cause Jalisse really wanted to go to Eurovision.

94ayd
27th May 2010, 01:53
I guess they paid a large sum of money. :lol: The Italian broadcaster is total crap if they think they can win every year (I'm sure they totally feel like that :lol: ). When they get a new mentality, they'll be more than welcome.

ParadiseES
27th May 2010, 02:14
I don't think they want to win every year. They just put much effort on this + they have one of the best music scenes in Europe (if not the best) + they were usually so underrated.
And yeah, Italians are too proud of themselves and clearly are not the best losers...

Sabrewulf238
27th May 2010, 17:17
I think Italy just has a case of sour grapes...they're so proud of their entries that they should win just out of pride. :roll:

The thing about Italy is if they did come back all it would take is one DNQ and they'd be gone for another 10 years.....

94ayd
27th May 2010, 17:21
But I thought they'd become part of the big countries and make the number rise from 4 to 5.

Sabrewulf238
27th May 2010, 19:14
But I thought they'd become part of the big countries and make the number rise from 4 to 5.

Maybe they would, but my statement before still stands. It's something that I could see happening if they did have to qualify.

MyHeartIsYours
30th May 2010, 13:29
::it ::it ::it !!!PLEASE COME BACK!!! ::it ::it ::it

Nikoreindeer1973
30th May 2010, 13:45
The goold ESC days with Italy!

Please bring them back!

MyHeartIsYours
30th May 2010, 13:58
I have never known Italy take part :lol:

dizzydjc
31st May 2010, 19:24
please return!!! they would be so good, i'd love to see gabry ponte involved with their entry somehow aswell

Kristi
1st June 2010, 13:20
Im really sure Italy might be back in ESC in Germany,even Austria said to do so,maybe even the Czech Republic and Hungary :mrgreen:

Norrbotten
2nd June 2010, 20:09
Make sure to time the return of Morocco at the same time... otherwise Morocco won't get any points. :D

Gandan
6th September 2010, 20:31
Ciao! :)

News!

http://ilkar.blogspot.com/2010/09/italian-x-factor-in-germany-2011.html

omg

94ayd
6th September 2010, 20:35
Fingers crossed! I mean, it has to happen some day...

Sim
6th September 2010, 21:57
I hope they'll return:d

go italy!!

Jukica
6th September 2010, 22:05
xcheer ::it

panakos
6th September 2010, 22:19
any reliable source to prove that?

AlekS
6th September 2010, 23:03
too good to be true, imo. He could also mean Eurovoice, he could mean any European contest. Still, it's always like that... EBU negotiates with them until the deadline and in the end it's all same.
eh, still not gonna lose hope :p

Sim
6th September 2010, 23:05
well I've read an article on estoday.com who says it too:)

So let's hope:d

http://www.esctoday.com/news/read/16102

ParadiseES
7th September 2010, 02:24
OMG finally real chances.... Finger crossed and let's hope Italy finally returns! :D

Milos-BC
7th September 2010, 18:39
Indeed, it somehow sounds too good to be true :lol:

But I really hope they come back

Matt
7th September 2010, 21:14
I guess I am the only one who wouldn't be too excited about Italy's return. It's not that I don't want them to return but even if they decide to come back they may just do that for a year and leave just as quickly as they showed up. Italy hasn't shown real interest in the contest in a long time and I can't really get too excited about their participation if they don't really care about it too much.

pras
8th September 2010, 00:01
you're not alone, Matt.

StellaStai
8th September 2010, 12:45
You are right Matt but why not give them a chance if they want to partisipate ! :)

Milos-BC
8th September 2010, 16:21
I am personally excited because of a possibility for Italy's return, but indeed Matt is right on this one. Executives in RAI, who are responsible for ESC, are very arrogant and they think they caught God himself for.....you know........"pride", and we must urge them to come back. I am happy that we can get a country whose ESC entries I liked a lot, and who will bring some quality to the contest, but in case they do leave after a year or two....they are welcome.

They make their own destiny.

Matt
8th September 2010, 17:50
You are right Matt but why not give them a chance if they want to partisipate ! :)

They sure deserve as many chances as they like, it's just a contest afterall, just my actual level of excitment is average. I'd be more excited for countries who want to particpate but couldn't due to their finances.

Canuck
16th September 2010, 21:21
Have Benny Benassi produce a Eurovision song and see how quickly Italian Eurovision interests increases.

KilledByShoes
25th September 2010, 21:19
Well, I am a sucker for all things Italian so I'm excited about them (possibly) returning. I mighty even watch X Factor now and see who wins! I'm wondering who'd write the song, though.

AlekS
19th October 2010, 17:00
It seems that X-actor rumors were fake.

Acording to oikotimes Roberto Meloni was invited by RAI in order to discuss ESC participation.
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/81/l_cd8759de511246fb953796e47f60cbf4.jpg
You'd cringe and say that it's just "oikotimes" etc.

I have another news. Coming from a Russian source. RAI officials asked Maria Bruno (Italian-Russian singer) to participate in ESC.
http://www.fm-tv.com.ua/c/img/mari_bruno_1.jpg
Apparently, it seems that RAI is thinking about internal choice or a NF and they negotiate with different performers. I mean 2 news reports which point at this, within 1 day.

Karlicious
20th October 2010, 10:48
OMG this is too good to be true. Italy is back on ESC. :D :D

A-lister
20th October 2010, 16:07
It seems that X-actor rumors were fake.

Acording to oikotimes Roberto Meloni was invited by RAI in order to discuss ESC participation.
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/81/l_cd8759de511246fb953796e47f60cbf4.jpg
You'd cringe and say that it's just "oikotimes" etc.

Oh plz not this guy!

He stands for everything BAD & tasteless in ESC. Both times he was involved it was with freak/joke acts and he seems to be tasteless in general considering his "professional" judging on Swedish entries last year.

Making a comeback with this guy would be a major mistake.

Isabella
20th October 2010, 21:56
OMG this is too good to be true. Italy is back on ESC. :D :D

Agree! I really hope this is true :D
I want Laura Pausini for Italy, but I know that won't happen.

Milos-BC
21st October 2010, 11:27
If they would come back, it would be really awesome :)

Tribeca
22nd October 2010, 20:34
Well if Italy would come back next year and win, I'm sure they wouldn't quit in 2012... so let's make them win! Haha just kidding :p

AlekS
2nd December 2010, 21:11
http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=22443&_t=Italy+applied+for+2011+Eurovision+Song+Contest% 21
xwoo

Turkish97
2nd December 2010, 21:11
WELCOMEEE BACKKKK ITALYY !!!!!

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=22443&source=twitter&medium=social&campaign=Twitter&_t=Italy+applied+for+2011+Eurovision+Song+Contest!

xwave1
xwave1

Sean
2nd December 2010, 21:13
Awesome news, welcome back! :mrgreen: Unless you pull out which you can still do I guess -.-

A-lister
2nd December 2010, 21:13
Is this for real? No joke? :D

Schlagerman1
2nd December 2010, 21:15
Welcome Back Italy! :D Looking forward to the song, and even if it happens to be bad, it is still cool! :D

goktengri
2nd December 2010, 21:17
Welcome Back Italy :) I'm really so happy to hear that, after many years !

Lenalite
2nd December 2010, 21:21
I am really happy now!!
Welcome back Italy. <3
Nice to see withdrawing countries back! xkiss

PoppySnuggleGlass
2nd December 2010, 21:27
The Italian part of me (of which I usually show little affinity with), is pleased by this news. 8-)

I'm interested in what kind of entry they will produce. I bet it'll be an operatic ballad (stereotyping, I know).

Interrail
2nd December 2010, 21:29
Wow, fantastic news! WB Italy! (I still can't believe):lol::D xheart

A.B.
2nd December 2010, 21:32
Great news! I hope that Hungary and Liechtenstein will also join the list of participating countries.

Matt
2nd December 2010, 21:33
Italy has applied to compete at the 2011 Eurovision Song Contest, returning after a 14 year absence. Eurovision fans all over the world will be thrilled and excited to have Italy back on the Eurovision stage after such a long time. Italy has won and hosted the Eurovision Song Contest twice.
Italy will be back at the Eurovision Song Contest next year in Düsseldorf. Last time the Italians took the Eurovision Song Contest stage was back in 1997, with Jalisse and the song Fiumi di parole. The country has enjoyed 2 victories at the Eurovision Song in 1964 with Gigliola Cinquetti and in 1990 with Toto Cotugno.

esctoday.com

Matt
You know what that means?

BIG 5

Israeliboy
My second home country is COMING BACK TO ESC!!! YES :)

94ayd
2nd December 2010, 21:43
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! That's what we needed after Slovakia has now left us. :mrgreen: And I'm happy the final will still have 25 participants. :D

Matt
2nd December 2010, 21:44
I hope this will bring a lot of new Italian members to this forum.

Turkish97
2nd December 2010, 21:44
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! That's what we needed after Slovakia has now left us. :mrgreen: And I'm happy the final will still have 25 participants. :D

+1 :p

DoctorX
2nd December 2010, 21:46
So a BIG -high- 5 for Italy :) how great news they are. italian entries always meant 'quality' to me i bet their returning will be legendary as well. My italian friends at my age had no idea about esc but now the new italian generation is gonna meet with this great show. Hooraay!

A.B.
2nd December 2010, 21:55
What about Russia? It's going to be a BIG 6 after all?

Matt
2nd December 2010, 21:56
I thought the whole "russia" Big 5/6 thing was just a rumor and had not substance. Is there anything else you guys have heard?

Schlagerman1
2nd December 2010, 22:09
After the rumours that the winner of their X-factor winner would be the one to go to Eurovision, then I googled it up, and Natalie Giannitrapani who is the winner seems pretty cool! :o

Here are two performances that I could find! :)

http://www.vidoevo.com/yvideo.php?i=MkxsSTZmcWuRpNFdOcVU&x-factor-4-6a-puntata-natalie-canta-ray-of-light starts 1:15

http://www.vidoevo.com/yvideo.php?i=TjZjeVVKcWuRpZFFuRXc&x-factor-4-1-puntata-7-09-2010-4-32-nathalie-giannitrapani-esibizione-e-giudizio= starts at 2:40

A.B.
2nd December 2010, 22:30
I thought the whole "russia" Big 5/6 thing was just a rumor and had not substance. Is there anything else you guys have heard?

http://www.eurovisionlive.com/englisch/archiv/2010/russland.htm

<<As Russia does not belong to the “Big 4” countries so far, there is going to be a change in 2011, where Russia will belong to that exclusive circle of countries which do not have to qualify for the final. This is due to the fact that Russia is going to pay a higher fee to the EBU. From next year there will be the “Big 5” countries.>>

Matt
2nd December 2010, 22:33
That article is not really accurate because even Italy's status is not 100% certain until after the reference group is going to meet later this month. We'll have to wait until then.

Simon87
2nd December 2010, 22:41
xcheerxcheerxcheer

Turk
2nd December 2010, 22:53
Oh.... Italy disappointed me...You're back to this stupid contest?! I adored Italy because it withdrew.. Italy knew the true music taste was more serious and artful in my eyes but now it's all gone!! shame on you, italy

AlekS
2nd December 2010, 23:09
^ :lol: lol
ps. I hope RAI won't withdraw after ESC if they don't enter the top-5 :lol: :oops:

94ayd
2nd December 2010, 23:10
And you're doing what exactly in a EUROVISION-related forum...?

AlekS
2nd December 2010, 23:19
^ I think he (she?) was sarcastic )))

After all RAI definitely behaved snobby while/after they withdrew for the last time.
I hope this time they will stay for longer and pay attention to their ratings, rather their results.

A-lister
2nd December 2010, 23:25
Welcome back Italy, but on the other hand I can't be too excited though because of how ignorant they've behaved toward ESC (in favor of their own kitschy shows? :lol:).

I mean they dropped out in 1997 because they thought 4th place was too low :lol:

I hope we'll get an entry in Italian. Some real Italian Power Pop would be nice. I do think people overrate Italy a bit though. I think they were brilliant especially back in the 60's. During the 80's and early 90's; all we got were kitschy ballads from Italy.

Turk
2nd December 2010, 23:37
"HE" ... Aleks, and There is nothing that absurd in logging on to an ESC-related forum when you hate ESC.. I have friends here. And my fave artist is going to participate in that contest.. Need to support her... Shortly I only enjoy the forum not the contest itself. Anyways, Italy I wish they're rumours

alca
2nd December 2010, 23:38
I am happy because my first ESC was in 2002 so I never watched live Italy performing (of course I mean on TV). It is a historical day but I agree with the comments about being ignorant towards the contest... Strange feelings about this comeback...

MyHeartIsYours
3rd December 2010, 00:01
Welcome back Italy!! xcheer ::it xcheer

lucian-crusher
3rd December 2010, 00:04
Welcome back ::it! :D
Now send Laura Pausini or Lady Gaga! :D

Isabella
3rd December 2010, 02:07
Yaaaay! This is the best news today :D
I love Italian songs and especially the language, so I hope the song will be in Italian.
Maybe Marco Mengoni, the guy who won EMA. That's a chance to meet him better, cause I had no idea who is he before :lol:

Interrail
3rd December 2010, 02:20
Yaaaay! This is the best news today :D
I love Italian songs and especially the language, so I hope the song will be in Italian.
Maybe Marco Mengoni, the guy who won EMA. That's a chance to meet him better, cause I had no idea who is he before :lol:

xgood

Canuck
3rd December 2010, 06:01
yay!!!! Italy is back!!!!!!

aletem
3rd December 2010, 10:04
I don't know what to think. If Italy has a mediocre song, nobody will vote them (a likely thing that might happen) and end randomly 18th. Then Italy could withdraw again. Fans might be very excited, but I doubt they gonna vote for Italy just to keep them in the contest. Ok, not trying to be pessimistic, I will wait for this decision to be final and hope for a good song. San Marino had a bad song 2 years ago, so anything similar to that = No thank you! :p :lol:

Milos-BC
3rd December 2010, 10:57
I am happy to see Italy back, but I do agree, their ignorant behavior towards the contest is something that shouldn't be forgotten that easily.

I hope for a great song :)

Steffan
3rd December 2010, 11:24
For me more countries participating only means more great songs to listen to so... Welcome Back Italia :)

manialf
3rd December 2010, 13:21
From http://eurovisiontimes.wordpress.com :

Italy – Yesterday was a historic date for the Eurovision Song Contest. After 13 long years one of the biggest European countries announced it’s return to Europe’s most favourite TV-show: Italy. The return of the Mediterranean country came as a big surprise to me. After the final of X-Factor (whose winner was reported to go to Eurovision 3 months ago) passed without a single word being uttered about a possible Italian Eurovision return, I was 99% convinced that 2011, just as the other 13 years before, would not have an Italian entry. I would not have bet a single euro on their return. Yesterday eurovision.tv said they would disclose news that no Eurovision fan would forget in his lifetime and we won’t because Italy’s return signifies much more than just an additional song in the running:

Why did Italy return?

This is of course pure speculation, but the fact that Germany (A Big4-country) won this year is certainly one of the reasons for Italy’s return. The fact that a big, central European, traditional Eurovision country can win, even after all the changes the Eurovision Song Contest went through since Italy’s withdrawal 1997, might have been the trigger. However, Italy never withdrew due to political voting (as Austria did). Their argument back in 97 was that they wanted to concentrate on their popular San Remo-Festival rather than the Eurovision Song Contest. Hence, there must be other reasons as well.

If we are completely honest to ourselves, we have to admit, even tough we love the Eurovision Song Contest, that in the 90s and in the beginning of the 00s it was not a competition that produced hits all over the continent (as in the 70s). The last 2 years we had winning songs that actually reached the Top5 of a bunch of different countries. “Fairytale” by Alexander Rybak and “Satellite” by Lena (and most notably their success on the charts) have made the contest more interesting to labels and respected musicians. The fact that popular artists like Patricia Kaas or groups like MaNga participated is also an indication for the growing popularity of the contest. Italy might have understood that the contest has changed fundamentally. If this development continues our favourite contest might see a new peak of its popularity (remember the 70s?).

How will Italy return?

As I said earlier, the rumor is that the winner of the casting show X-Factor will represent Italy in Düsseldorf. The winner of latest season that just ended was Nathalie Giannitrapani. Her debut single is called “In punta di piedi” (On tiptoes). No information has been disclosed by RAI yet whether Nathalie will actually be their entrant. One thing is almost sure: Italy will sing in Italian. They always did and I don’t think they will change this tradition (and they shouldn’t)

Another important question is whether Italy will become part of the 4 countries that qualify for the final automatically as they’re the biggest financial contributors to the contest. The Big4 (Germany, France, UK, Spain) would thus turn into a Big5. According to oikotimes Italy has not yet applied for this special status, but further information about this issue is expected to be released shortly. In my opinion there is no reason why Italy shouldn’t be part of the Big5. With their 60 million inhabitants and good economic position they will surely pay a bigger participation fee than Spain does right now.

What impact does Italy’s return have?

First of all, Italy’s return is striking evidence that the popularity of our favourite contest has been and still is rising. This amazing return represents a gain in viewers for the contest of about 5-6 million (my prediction). It also means a growing fan base and 60 million more people who might buy the Eurovision winner after the contest.

Italy’s participation fee will also help smaller countries: The costs the produce the contest will not grow just because one more country is participating, but if that country is Italy it means a big increase in revenue from participation fees for the EBU. We can now hope (and expect) that the participation fees for the other countries might be lowered. That way countries like Andorra, Montenegro or Slovakia, which do not participate due to financial issues, may be able to return sooner than expected.

Furthermore, the fact that a big national broadcaster like the RAI takes the contest seriously again might change the attitude of other countries that do not seem to be very interested in the contest and particularly in their results anymore (You know who I mean).

All in all, Italy’s return could really turn out to be a historic change of the Eurovision Song Contest. Let’s hope they will stay even if their result is not perfect.

Italy week

Starting tomorrow, this blog will celebrate Italy’s return with a special “Italy Week” where we’ll look back at their history in the Eurovision Song Contest, their best entries and thus the reason why they were missed so thoroughly by Eurovision fans. Come back to celebrate with us. and stay tuned!

AlekS
3rd December 2010, 13:51
If we are completely honest to ourselves, we have to admit, even tough we love the Eurovision Song Contest, that in the 90s and in the beginning of the 00s it was not a competition that produced hits all over the continent (as in the 70s). The last 2 years we had winning songs that actually reached the Top5 of a bunch of different countries. “Fairytale” by Alexander Rybak and “Satellite” by Lena (and most notably their success on the charts) have made the contest more interesting to labels and respected musicians.
Let's be honest :p Labels and respected musicians in their majority never were interested in Eurovision. We have 1 big name per year. Times when songs could spend few months at the top (or even one year in the top-5) are gone. And the reason is not Eurovision, the reason is changes in the music market (in each country) -> competition, amount of performers, promotional tools, the sales fell in 10 times almost. Music industry in the 70's is waaay different from these days. ESC in the 70's is definitely not ESC in the 00's. For me there's nothing surprising that Big5 entries have more opportunities to become successful. But the song should be good, they shouldn't worry about promotion unlike the rest.

As for hits. I follow this contest since 1998. Ruslana and Paparizou were popular and also got into the top-10 of different countries and received certifications.
Considering the fact that Germany has its sub-markets like Austria, Switzerland and Czech Republic it doesn't surprise me.
The other factor is that Germany is the 2nd largest music market in Europe - you can imagine support of record labels and pr agencies, esp if serious people from music business are involved ;) it's much harder for people outside of W. and N. Europe to gain promotion and success on those territories.
Italian market isn't that big comparing to French, British or German so participating in ESC wouldn't beinternationally significant for their labels, imo. Rather for their local business.

AlekS
3rd December 2010, 14:44
Does anybody know if it's X-Factor winner or they will stick to internal selection? So far I have contraddictive info.

ps. Italy's come back is in all news here :D

A-lister
3rd December 2010, 14:55
Does anybody know if it's X-Factor winner or they will stick to internal selection? So far I have contraddictive info.

I honestly think that they haven't decided anything yet.

I just hope for a good entry in Italian and that it won't be that joke from the Pirates stuff. He is really good for nothing.

Simon87
3rd December 2010, 15:24
There is a rumor that Nathalie Giannitrapani will represente Italy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpHRceDPpLU

Muireanne
3rd December 2010, 17:35
Welcome back Italy! FINALLY :)

Schlagerman1
3rd December 2010, 20:18
There is a rumor that Nathalie Giannitrapani will represente Italy

Yep and the song might even be the song that she won X-factor with, "In punta di piedi", which I finally find a vid on! A really good song which need to be shortened and improved, but if it gets that, then watch out for Italy! :D (Song starts at 1:35)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SghIqqlC5TY

renzo
3rd December 2010, 20:46
nathalie was my favv from xfactorrr this year and i was soooo happy to see her win!!! she is amazing and her song is great :D im so happy to see italy back in the contest :)

MrJadeEwen
3rd December 2010, 22:21
This is massive news even the BBC have reported it :P go Italy finally, Now come on Luxembourg for a return =]

94ayd
4th December 2010, 11:23
I hope they become part of the BIG-5, so we can keep the number in the final 25. ;)

Charly
4th December 2010, 11:27
Ah welcome back Italy :) I'm sure they will produce great results :) and in 1980 they gave us 7 points :)

Jukica
5th December 2010, 17:48
Wb Italy xcheer I hope that Anna Tatangelo or Laura Pausini'll go to ESC :D

DoctorX
5th December 2010, 20:35
How come it's mentioned as they'll be a Big-5 country since they hadn't paid as much as Big 4 countries did for many years. Isn't it the only reason which makes them Big 4?

A-lister
5th December 2010, 22:16
^

I agree with this, it's just weird how Italy could just step right in after 10+ years of totally dissing the contest, and also during these years not contributing to it. It wouldn't feel right.

Schlagerman1
5th December 2010, 23:07
^
First of all, we have to remember that EBU is not only Eurovision, it is also for example all the sport streams that are held all around the world shown in Europe. I am sure of that Italy is paying loads of money to get that shown in their country too, and if they happen to pay more than enough for getting the Big-placement, then they should have it. :)
Then if the Big-countries pre-qualification is fair is an another question, but this is how the rules look like so we gotta live with it I guess! :(

Muireanne
5th December 2010, 23:39
Let me say only this - Italy could easely become one of the so-called Big-5... They are (were) in the contest longer than most of present day contestants... I have no doubt they'll pay for that advantage as well... so Italy (besides Germany, France, Spain and UK) as MAJOR country? Fine by me! Though I don't like it at all!!!!!
In my opinion all countries should be equal... but this would only be possible when a reasonable balance between East en West has been found in the voting.
And since I still consider Italy being more West than East (or South for that mather)... I'd say Italy certainly into the Big-5!

lucian-crusher
6th December 2010, 10:24
The BIG 5 don't want to get in the Final so they will get a good result. The problem is that if they wouldn't be in the Final the audience in the Big 5 will be lower and all they want is to recover the money spent....

A-lister
6th December 2010, 14:51
Let me say only this - Italy could easely become one of the so-called Big-5... They are (were) in the contest longer than most of present day contestants...

With this logic alot of countries should be in the "big" system.

Gandan
6th December 2010, 18:01
Hi boys and girls! Finally we're IN! xsing

I'm very happy, but i'm a fan only until 2008... there are many friends of mine that waited for this moment from 1998!

Big5... uhm... I don't know... according the rules Italy should be big5 (founder and one of the major investors in EBU, thought we haven't participated for many years). Sincerely... I'd prefer not. Many other countries should be in Big group, for example Sweden xcheer

Now, I don't know, but the most important thing is...

WE ARE CAME BACK! ::it xparty

Sorry for my obscene english :oops:

Greetings from Italy! :p

goktengri
6th December 2010, 18:11
Hi boys and girls! Finally we're IN! xsing

I'm very happy, but i'm a fan only until 2008... there are many friends of mine that waited for this moment from 1998!

Big5... uhm... I don't know... according the rules Italy should be big5 (founder and one of the major investors in EBU, thought we haven't participated for many years). Sincerely... I'd prefer not. Many other countries should be in Big group, for example Sweden xcheer

Now, I don't know, but the most important thing is...

WE ARE CAME BACK! ::it xparty

Sorry for my obscene english :oops:

Greetings from Italy! :p

And it's nice to see an Italian on the forum :)

Gandan
6th December 2010, 18:15
And it's nice to see an Italian on the forum :)

Thank you! I joined this forum some month ago, but because my low affinity with english... :mrgreen:

goktengri
6th December 2010, 19:38
Thank you! I joined this forum some month ago, but because my low affinity with english... :mrgreen:

Hey don't be sad, we are in the same boat, so you're not alone :lol: It's really no matter ;)

makkillottu
12th December 2010, 00:31
Hi all, Gandan and I we arranged a possible 3-minutes version of Nathalie's winning song "In punta di Piedi" at X Factor Italy. :idea:

We worked through some areas, but the result looks good. The song, for the European market, will be translated in English, while during ESC 2011 probably the song will have just the chorus in English. xsing

http://www.vimeo.com/17615557

Off you go, Nath! We're all proud of you!!! =)

makk,
genuine euro-fan since 2008! :D

Bojan
12th December 2010, 00:39
Hi all, Gandan and I we arranged a possible 3-minutes version of Nathalie's winning song "In punta di Piedi" at X Factor Italy. :idea:

We worked through some areas, but the result looks good. The song, for the European market, will be translated in English, while during ESC 2011 probably the song will have just the chorus in English. xsing

http://www.vimeo.com/17615557

wow beautiful song!

Margerita86
12th December 2010, 00:53
If this will be the entry please don't translate it into english!
If it, like I suspect it will, have a really bad english text.
At least if it is kept in italian most of us can imagine that it has a better text than it has :D

Either way I like it so I hope it will be your choice if the return is true :D

A-lister
12th December 2010, 01:39
At least if it is kept in italian most of us can imagine that it has a better text than it has :D

Agree!

English is generic and boring. This is Eurovision not Anglovision. Music is universal. Europe is diverse and not only English.

Sim
12th December 2010, 08:03

xgood

94ayd
12th December 2010, 10:59
This is very nice, I agree. :mrgreen:

hanz06
12th December 2010, 14:13
WELCOME BACK ITALY:p

Gandan
14th December 2010, 03:06
In the next days maybe RAI will announce our participation, according some rumours :)

Gandan
14th December 2010, 04:21

Ok, my english is really horrible, but i've tried to translate "In punta di piedi" lyrics XD

It were pieces of glass
scattered on our path,
our defenses
let suspended.

fluid water that's flowing,
my nodes melt already
like snow in the summer
but I look to you returning on beds of thorns
our words so far from heart
our unfounded fears, freezed

Love with you is like walking
on tiptoes without being able to stop me

But I feel your strong warmth
in dark corners of my cold rooms,
hanged by your breath I see myself falling
to return to feeling me happy

but the anxiety, that i feel about your breath
distracts me from thinking
about everything we have lost,
and i believe sometimes we can repair,
we can reconstruct,
everything new, a little bit different...

But I feel your strong warmth
in dark corners of my cold rooms,
hanged by your breath I see myself falling
to return to feeling me happy

I stop myself in front of your face,
you, that you're sleeping splay and you don't know
that you can entrust me,
that you can trust
me.

You can trust me

GRE
15th December 2010, 13:39
If Italy send to esc this song,i will get asleep.
So many years expecting them to come back,to hear this boring thing?

Gandan
15th December 2010, 15:11
If Italy send to esc this song,i will get asleep.
So many years expecting them to come back,to hear this boring thing?

you shouldn't expect something like dance or schlager from Italy, that is a dream :mrgreen:

GRE
15th December 2010, 15:29
you shouldn't expect something like dance or schlager from Italy, that is a dream :mrgreen:

I didnt say that i expect a dance song from Italy.
I like ballads but i find this one boring.
By the way,if Italy could send somethins like 90 or 97 entries,i would be very glad!!!
I also like this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orVIoKcJcvU

Gandan
16th December 2010, 01:27
I didnt say that i expect a dance song from Italy.
I like ballads but i find this one boring.
By the way,if Italy could send somethins like 90 or 97 entries,i would be very glad!!!
I also like this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orVIoKcJcvU

This video is blocked from youtube in my country -.-

GRE
16th December 2010, 01:51
its Novembre

Gandan
16th December 2010, 02:03
its Novembre

Oh, ok, I've heard that greek people love Giusy Ferreri! :)

GRE
16th December 2010, 02:04
this song was a huge hit in our country...!

Gandan
16th December 2010, 02:09
I knew that she wanna publish something in France and Greece in fact.

But now silence, there are nothing from Giusy Ferreri. Recently only this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdrP8f2Qzq0

alca
16th December 2010, 13:26
Send Ferreri! Maybe you'll get our 12 (if Cyprus doesn't make it to the final! :lol: :lol: ) :p

Schlagerman1
16th December 2010, 13:34
Giusy is an amazing singer! :D Would love to see her for Italy! :)

Gandan
16th December 2010, 15:12
Giusy Ferreri maybe will be in Sanremo festival. But, according my reliable sources, our singer will be xFactor winner Nathalie (99,9%). Now we are waiting for an official confirmation from RAI (Maybe next Saturday, Nathalie will be in a charity show)

Wait and see

However the last has been, probably, the last season of Xfactor Italy. So, many people think that from the next year we'll have a real NF for ESC. And... who knows... *_*

AlekS
16th December 2010, 16:08
Meanwhile Natalie topped the Italian singles chart 3 weeks ago and she will get a gold certification (15 000+ copies) for In punta di piedi in a week or 2.

makkillottu
18th December 2010, 23:05
Here's Nathalie singing her song during the Italian telethon

http://vimeo.com/17954179

Great, absolutely superb!

Matt
18th December 2010, 23:09
In punta di piedi may become the jury's favorite, not sure about the televoters if that song will be chosen to represent Italy

makkillottu
18th December 2010, 23:17
She was quite surprising. Until a moment before she unveiled his song, about 70% of the televoters were pushing for Davide (runner-up at the X Factor). But the song was so powerful that also Sony Music managers decided to use her song (totally self-written, for text and music) instead of the one written by a big Italian singer for her.

She was right, and in the first week has topped the F.I.M.I. (the italian music industry federation) Digital Downloads Charts!

Awesome!

I think will be an interesting surprise for Eurovision public...

Gandan
19th December 2010, 04:53
Here's Nathalie singing her song during the Italian telethon

http://vimeo.com/17954179

Great, absolutely superb!

However someone has told me that Nathalie and RAI are improving and cutting this song. Wait and see.... :-/

gabimen
20th December 2010, 02:25
However someone has told me that Nathalie and RAI are improving and cutting this song. Wait and see.... :-/

Interesting...who did tell you? What do you know?
I'm eager to know more about Italy, if they're leaving or definitely leaving..if "In punta di piedi" will be the Italian return song...
By the way this was my first forum post!

Gandan
20th December 2010, 02:31
Interesting...who did tell you? What do you know?
I'm eager to know more about Italy, if they're leaving or definitely leaving..if "In punta di piedi" will be the Italian return song...
By the way this was my first forum post!

A facebook friend that told me other things now revealed true... i hope...

Somebody knows when is the official deadline?

gabimen
20th December 2010, 03:05
This Monday, broadcasters can withdraw without any penalty until the 20th December, but the official participants list won't be revealed until January. That's what Eurovision.tv reported some weeks ago. Hope RAI confirms the new very VERY soon...

AlekS
20th December 2010, 11:54
The deadline for sending songs is March 14.

This Monday, broadcasters can withdraw without any penalty until the 20th December, but the official participants list won't be revealed until January. That's what Eurovision.tv reported some weeks ago.
December 25, according to esctoday.
+ eurovision.tv:
http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=22443&_t=Italy+applied+for+2011+Eurovision+Song+Contest% 21
Broadcasters that applied before friday's deadline can still withdraw without consequences until Christmas.

Imo, Italian participation is sure.

PeterLPZ
20th December 2010, 15:06
I also hope, that the participation of Italy is sure. I missed them so much during the last 14 years and I was really surprised about their comeback.
I read in another forum, that also San Marino will decide to come back allthough it should be too late for application. But this could also be a rumor.
I´m very exciting about the song of Italy.

dwig
23rd December 2010, 03:15
I don't think it's very likely that Italy will return (although I'd love to see them take part!) because as you've already said RAI is not bothered to join in again. I don't get it, though, why can't you have both San Remo and ESC? And even if they wouldn't win every year ( :lol: ) they would probably still get lots of viwers and make money with comercals etc.

ahem

Sim
23rd December 2010, 08:48
I really hope Italy will be in:D

I never saw Italy in ESC since I began to watch

gabimen
28th December 2010, 16:23
Some news about Italy, looks like Nathalie is not representing Italy.

http://news.eurofestival.ws/2010/12/28/chiusa-la-deadline-litalia-e-nel-lotto-dei-partecipanti-caccia-al-cantante-spunta-anche-mengoni/

A-lister
28th December 2010, 16:28
^
404 Page doesn't exist :lol:

I also read it somewhere though, I hope it's not true since I've got a feeling that if she doesn't wanna go, then they won't be able to find a good enough artist who wants to and we will be stuck with that awful guy who participated for Latvia twice (one time as part of that awful Pirates thing). That would be horror! I don't remember his name, but I remember a rumor that he might participate for Italy if they would comeback.

He seems generally interested in Eurovision, but the guy has not taste (I remember him judging the Swedish contestants) and the two times he entered was with awful and tasteless acts :lol:

gabimen
28th December 2010, 16:29
I'm sorry, the link works now correctly...

makkillottu
28th December 2010, 20:35
Shortly, Marco Mengoni (Best European Act @ MTV Europe Music Awards in Madrid, ahead of Enrique Iglesias too!) could be the singer selected for Eurovision instead of Nathalie, which will will sealing to Ariston' Sanremo festival.

gabimen
28th December 2010, 21:18
Shortly, Marco Mengoni (Best European Act @ MTV Europe Music Awards in Madrid, ahead of Enrique Iglesias too!) could be the singer selected for Eurovision instead of Nathalie, which will will sealing to Ariston' Sanremo festival.

NO! I already loved Nathalie...I'm depressed...

Schlagerman1
29th December 2010, 00:47
I have a feeling that if Natalie won't be going, it isn't RAI that has decided to send someone else..but that it is Natalie that doesn't want to go to ESC.
Maybe she is afraid that her carrier back home will go down if she fails and decides to stay home. I hope of course that all this is just some Italian crap-talk and that it will be Natalie anyway, but I am just telling my gut-feeling about this. :(

renzo
30th December 2010, 12:46
Marco Mengoni is one hell of a singer! he is awsum! He also won xfactor the year before nathalie, and with a great song he could easily win eurovision.
But i would love to see nathalie!!! she is such a great artist and "In punta di piedi" is just amazing!! :mrgreen:

AlekS
30th December 2010, 16:28
Nathalie will be on ESC.
With the English version of the song:
http://www.gaywave.it/articolo/nathalie-giannitrapani-un-2011-da-favola-sanremo-ed-eurofestival/26097/
Considering that they quoted RAI's director (about Nathalie's participation @ San Remo, with another song btw) before that assumption, I think it's safe to say that this is how it's going to happen.

Sim
30th December 2010, 16:33
Well she is definitely a good singer, don't know about the song yet.
I think we best wait until the english version has been released:)

makkillottu
30th December 2010, 18:25
SONY pushed RAI to come back to the Eurovision Song Contest next year. But Nathalie has been selected (invited) to Sanremo 2011, so they're thinking to launch Marco Mengoni in the European market, after his winning battle against Enrique Iglesias at MTV Europe Music Awards...

Like Kimi Raikkonen says: "Wait and see..." :D

makkillottu
30th December 2010, 18:26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5DmaphCM8k

BTW, here's the official videoclip from Nathalie's In Punta di Piedi! ;)

Schlagerman1
30th December 2010, 19:18
I hope that we get at least 50/50 Italian at least, cause it is awesome in Italian! Though, I think it might work in English too, so the mixture might be the right thing for Natalie and "In Punta Di Piedi"! :)

A-lister
30th December 2010, 20:24
I hope that we get at least 50/50 Italian at least, cause it is awesome in Italian! Though, I think it might work in English too, so the mixture might be the right thing for Natalie and "In Punta Di Piedi"! :)

I hope we will get 100% in ITALIAN!

Why English? Gosh have everyone gone nuts with this English-obsession? Like all we have in Europe is English?.. Italian is universally considered one of the most beautiful languages, even when Italy didn't participate we got entries in Italian.

People wait all these years for an Italian comeback and all we get is yet another song in English?

Schlagerman1
30th December 2010, 20:33

Why English? Gosh have everyone gone nuts with this English-obsession? Like all we have in Europe is English?.. Italian is universally considered one of the most beautiful languages, even when Italy didn't participate we got entries in Italian.

People wait all these years for an Italian comeback and all we get is yet another song in English?

Well in this case, I prefer an Italian version, cause it is as you say, one of the most popular languages in the world! :)
Though, I always say that the language should be decided in what kind of song it is.
Let's use Albania for example. In 2008, they had a beautiful ballad that really worked well in Albanian, cause it gave a mystical but still an honest feeling about it, and they did come to the final! Same in 2009 they qualified, but then with a disco-song, that for me didn't work at all in Albanian, but transformed to pretty good english lyrics and people could understand the meaning of the song.
But of course, everything doesn't work in English...let's take Albania 2007...that was horrific IMO. :(

As you see, my point is that it all depends on the song, and that is why I actually love the language rule, that gives everyone a chance to do what they want with their songs! :)
As for "In Punta Di Piedi" it is a song that could work on almost any language, but I think they would win more in singing (at least 50%) in Italian! :)

A-lister
30th December 2010, 20:40
^
I get your point.

Well I prefer in most cases the original language used. Also another language (no matter if it is generally considered beautiful or not) gives the entries character and dynamic, with all countries sending English entries Eurovision becomes very bland.

Also, our different languages is a unique aspect that we should be proud of and share, and well celebrate European diversity. It's called EUROvision not Anglovision.

I'm all for the choice of language, but I would like to see the jurors actually encourage use of native languages through their votes, so far they've acted the opposite though :(

Sean
31st December 2010, 15:51
Italy is officially in the final :)

94ayd
31st December 2010, 18:14
Yeah, I was hoping that'd happen cause I didn't want to go back to a final with only 24 countries. :) Maybe next year (in case of a non-BIG 5 win), we'll see a final with 26 countries competing. :D

paddyirl
3rd January 2011, 17:15
Hope they come last tbh. They are inactive for years and then just waltz back into the final. Wait till the throw a strop again and quit.

Well money talks.

I would have preferred a final wth 25 if Turkey got to qualify since they were 1st Runner Up last year. Also Turkey are guaranteed a final spot anyway it would have been better to give it them than Italy.

Sim
3rd January 2011, 17:18
Hope they come last tbh. They are inactive for years and then just waltz back into the final. Wait till the throw a strop again and quit.

Well money talks.

I would have preferred a final wth 25 if Turkey got to qualify since they were 1st Runner Up last year. Also Turkey are guaranteed a final spot anyway it would have been better to give it them than Italy.

Personally, I don't think Italy asked to be in the Big 5.
(well I'm not sure but I think so)

I think the EBU put Italy to the Big 5 because of (maybe a stupid) reason:
otherwhise we would have had a semi with 20 and one with 19 participants.
So than the people of the first semi have 10/20 chance and of the second 10/19
Don't know sure about that but it can be possible;

I just hope Italy won't stay for one year

AlekS
3rd January 2011, 17:49
RAI is the one of the most rich European broadcasters. It's not the BBC but it's bigger than French and Spanish broadcasters. Of course it's about money and I must say that I don't care about their attitude in the end. For me personally I think that the way they withdrew wasn't good (the same goes for Austria) but I'd rather consume their music :p and yes, their money would be a nice addition considering that ALL Europeran broadcasters had to cut their budgets during the previous 2 years. More participants = less payments for everyone.

+ I'm not gonna throw s--t at them until they actually withdraw. Until then...
hope that it will be Nathalie =)

paddyirl
3rd January 2011, 18:18
Personally, I don't think Italy asked to be in the Big 5.
(well I'm not sure but I think so)

I think the EBU put Italy to the Big 5 because of (maybe a stupid) reason:
otherwhise we would have had a semi with 20 and one with 19 participants.
So than the people of the first semi have 10/20 chance and of the second 10/19
Don't know sure about that but it can be possible;

I just hope Italy won't stay for one year

That is possibly true.

Although a fairer method would have been to put the previous years Runner Up automatically in the final. But like all international organisations except maybe the IOC fairness is irrelevant.

However next year when a non-big 5 country wins, which is the most likely outcome I reckon Italy will still automatically qualify. So then we have 6 automatic places and a final with 26 which I think is too much, I know it was done in 2003 but still the contest needs to be more viewer friendly and having long long contests wont attract casual fans.

Its like how beauty pageants in Latin America last up to 4 hours where they are extremely popular but in the United States rarely exceed 2 hours since they need to attract the casual viewer.

The contest can't keep getting longer and longer its not good in the long run.

Mickey
3rd January 2011, 22:11
However next year when a non-big 5 country wins, which is the most likely outcome I reckon Italy will still automatically qualify. So then we have 6 automatic places and a final with 26 which I think is too much, I know it was done in 2003 but still the contest needs to be more viewer friendly and having long long contests wont attract casual fans.

We had 26 performances in the final last year (Spain twice). Was that too long for you?

paddyirl
3rd January 2011, 22:40
Yes.
The contest's viewing figures dropped again last year. Gone are the days of half a billion viewers. There are a number of reasons for this but having such a long contest could be a contributing factor. UK viewing figures hit an all time low last year. Irish viewing figures were ok at 720,000 but still nothing to write home about when Irish beauty pageant the Rose of Tralee can rake in over a million viewers and is a lot cheaper for RTÉ.

The Netherlands, and Finland didn't even get 20% audience share and some like France and Poland just scraped 20%.

Now it can't all be attributed to the length of the contest but it needs some reform to get more viewers.

Also it mean Jemini will not be the only act to hold 26th Place, a honor I think they very much deserve. :) :)

Sim
4th January 2011, 00:04
Yes.
The contest's viewing figures dropped again last year. Gone are the days of half a billion viewers. There are a number of reasons for this but having such a long contest could be a contributing factor. UK viewing figures hit an all time low last year. Irish viewing figures were ok at 720,000 but still nothing to write home about when Irish beauty pageant the Rose of Tralee can rake in over a million viewers and is a lot cheaper for RTÉ.

The Netherlands, and Finland didn't even get 20% audience share and some like France and Poland just scraped 20%.

Now it can't all be attributed to the length of the contest but it needs some reform to get more viewers.

Also it mean Jemini will not be the only act to hold 26th Place, a honor I think they very much deserve. :) :)

I think Netherlands and Finland didn't make 20% because they didn't qualify for final:)
For instance here in Belgium, I think we had 45% for final or something like that.

But I think its best to stay a bit ontopic=)

Mickey
4th January 2011, 00:05
Yes.

I don't think an extra three minutes of music had any impact on viewing figures, especially when they were added midway through the show. No one would seriously sit watching the show and say "What? They're going to show Spain again? I haven't got time for that! This is an outrage! I'm turning over!"

Eurovision was barely publicised last year in UK. Our national final was tucked away on a Friday night and was a shambles. It paled in comparison to 2009 where there was an extended selection process and Jade/Lloyd Webber were on a bunch of talk shows. To make matters worse Simon Cowell's evil Britain's Got Talent empire scheduled a programme on the same night on ITV. Three of the other countries you mentioned didn't qualify for the final.

Matt
4th January 2011, 06:58
Just like Mickey said, countries who don't qualify tend to have low viewing figures, it's natural and understandable.

And the UK's song selection was a big hot mess and was literally done the last second with a terrible song and amateurish kinda singers. It was disliked by the majority of british people which explains the low viewing figures.

But to get back to the actual topic. I don't think it comes to a big surprise as the EBU has been trying to get Italy back for years and always had the intention to make them be part of the Big 4/5 group as money makes the world go round regardless of if we like it or not.

Matt
4th January 2011, 20:52
Not sure if that has been mentioned before but it appears that Roberto Meloni is trying to represent Italy this year in Duesseldorf. You may remember him as part of Bonaparti.lv (2007) and Pirates of the sea (2008) representing Latvia.

So beside of Roberto there are still two other names floating around (marco Mengoni and Nathalie Giannitrapani).

A-lister
4th January 2011, 23:32
Not sure if that has been mentioned before but it appears that Roberto Meloni is trying to represent Italy this year in Duesseldorf. You may remember him as part of Bonaparti.lv (2007) and Pirates of the sea (2008) representing Latvia.

So beside of Roberto there are still two other names floating around (marco Mengoni and Nathalie Giannitrapani).

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

He is everything bad in music!

Gandan
10th January 2011, 00:37

I totally agree ^^

Milos-BC
11th January 2011, 11:47
Me as well :)

I want to hear an entry in Italian. It is such a beautiful language, and I hope we are going to hear it in Dusseldorf.

AlekS
13th January 2011, 20:06
+ one more hint that it will be Marco: http://www.riviera24.it/articoli/2011/01/13/101288/sanremo-perde-un-altro-grande-evento-televisivo-la-notte-degli-oscar-tv-di-daniele-piombi (in Italian)

Between those 2 I'd rather support Nathalie. Also it was funny for me to read comments on Italian gay sites where all people obviously (duh!) support Mengoni. Heeej! And what about music? :lol:
I can't find any single Marco's song for my taste :oops: When Nathalie has already gave me 1. Not even gonna comment about his live vocals :?

Isabella
14th January 2011, 00:27
Well, I already said they should send Marco and I hope it happens :p
I heard some of his songs and I really like it :mrgreen:

A-lister
14th January 2011, 00:43
+ one more hint that it will be Marco: http://www.riviera24.it/articoli/2011/01/13/101288/sanremo-perde-un-altro-grande-evento-televisivo-la-notte-degli-oscar-tv-di-daniele-piombi (in Italian)

Between those 2 I'd rather support Nathalie. Also it was funny for me to read comments on Italian gay sites where all people obviously (duh!) support Mengoni. Heeej! And what about music? :lol:
I can't find any single Marco's song for my taste :oops: When Nathalie has already gave me 1. Not even gonna comment about his live vocals :?

Agree! I listened to some of his stuff and it left me with just one "meh", quite uninteresting artist really, couldn't care less about his sexuality, that's not why I vote for someone anyhow.

AlekS
14th January 2011, 01:28
http://www.sorrisi.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/marco-mengoni_big.jpg
"wut wut wut? mazafakaz dare to hate me here? ha?"
:lol:

weeeell, I think he's hot :oops: (if you forget about that haircut):
http://www.mondoreality.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Marco-Mengoni1.jpg
but I'm more into singers with good vocals or lyrics (maybe I didn't get him cuz I listened to Italian song from some concert, in poor quality).

oh, he has a nice English pronunciation.
Judging from this vid he has not so bad live vocals (except 2nd minute):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU7l3iIK-uA
It seems that I like his fast songs more than ballads. He becomes too emotional (which gives "screamy" vocals) when he performs ballads... so if you choose him, RAI, please choose a fast song :p

MyHeartIsYours
14th January 2011, 03:28
^ He's hot and his haircut is hot too! :mrgreen:

AlekS
14th January 2011, 03:58
^ yucky haircut (it's good in the video tho), hot guy :p
The vocal abilities depend of songs.

r3gg13
14th January 2011, 05:28
^great hair cut! the hair is a stand out :lol:

In general, I hope to hear a ballad because I typically associate Italy with good ballads and great vocals. I hope they don't send ANYTHING like the Pirates of The Sea.

A-lister
14th January 2011, 15:02
I hope to hear a good song! No good voice in the world can save a bad song. I'd rather have a so-so voice and a good song than a good voice and a bad song (in the last Eurovision we got alot of the latter).

AlekS
14th January 2011, 15:22
great hair cut...
... for a mental hospital :rolleyes:

I hope to hear a good song! No good voice in the world can save a bad song. I'd rather have a so-so voice and a good song than a good voice and a bad song (in the last Eurovision we got alot of the latter).
Totally disagree :p
The best performer can save a sh-tty song... sh-tty performer can ruin anything (even the best song in the world)... if you want to disagree then go and listen how my neighbour "does" (in a bad meaning) karaoke :?

Gandan
14th January 2011, 15:34
tadàààààà

surprise!

Liofredi's (rai2 chairman) interview on davidemaggio.it:

Chi rappresenterà l’Italia?

Se potessi scegliere personalmente manderei Marco Mengoni però ci sarà una commissione su Sanremo che sceglierà se mandare il vincitore del Festival o qualcun altro. E’ un bel ritorno di un grande evento internazionale che aveva una grande presa. Vorremmo riportare quel glamour.

translation:

Who will represent Italy?

If I could personally choose I'd like to send Marco Mengoni, however there will be a committee that will decides whether to send the San Remo Festival winner or someone else. It 's a nice return of a great international event that was "really interesting" . We would like to report that glamour!

Matt
14th January 2011, 15:37
... for a mental hospital :rolleyes:

Totally disagree :p
The best performer can save a sh-tty song... sh-tty performer can ruin anything (even the best song in the world)... if you want top disagree then go and listen how my neighbour "does" (in a bad meaning) karaoke :?

Agree with Aleks. Example to me is UK 2009...While the song itself was mediocre/good itself, Jade's vocals is what made this song stood out and different. Imagine Hadise singing that song......

And we have seen plenty of songs that sounded amazing...the studio version that is but totally fell apart on stage due to poor vocals.

A-lister
14th January 2011, 15:42
^
Well for your info I never said an AWFUL performer can do a good song favor, I just said I'd chose an so-so performer with a good song over the best voice with a bad song.

But I guess it all comes down to what one wants from Eurovision. I want good SONGS (aferall it's a SONG contest). I don't want Eurovision to turn into some sort of talent show a la Idol/X-factor with loads of CRAPPY songs but plenty of "big wailing voices". Also, a big voice doesn't necessarily mean a person is an artist. That's why I hate these talent shows because most are talented singers, but most of them have not a single bit "artist" in them, they are just uninteresting and all sound the same anyways.

Will I ever listen to crappy songs? Nope. The good songs will live on for me, even if performances weren't very good.

Last year we saw a bunch of real crappy songs being saved by juries thanks to good voices and we had probably one of the dullest ESC finals in the last 10 years or so.

AlekS
14th January 2011, 15:48
^ It comes down if you're able to change your opinion about songs at all.

Good performer (voice too) can change my opinion about sh-tty songs. Maybe he/she/they will be able to entertain me enough so sh-tty song appears not so bad actually xshrug

I think we had one of the best finals in the recent years, with gr8 performers AND voices, to each their own :p

A-lister
14th January 2011, 15:51
^
So after Eurovision you continue listen to songs you think are crap if the singer was good on a live show? I mean the songs will continue being crap if they are crap really. I guess a good performance can save songs one thought was so-so or just overlooked, but atleast I would never start liking things I truly thought was crap in the first place.

Anyways, this is the problem with Eurovision today and which is slowly killing it. It's turning into a talent show rather than search for the best song. Songs are getting worse and worse and countries now only care to send "voices".

AlekS
14th January 2011, 15:52
^ and why should I listen to songs!!!?
This is not Eurovision AUDIO song contest!

I watch their performances on YT :p

As for "problem" I don't see any problem xshrug
And I'd still rather choose Nathalie than Mengoni.

Matt
14th January 2011, 15:54
I think we're getting off track here, let's stick to discussing Italy in ESC.

If there is interest, feel free to open a thread in the proper forum to discuss this :)

A-lister
14th January 2011, 15:58
^
Ok Matt :)

Just one short answer to AlekS: no it's not Eurovision AUDIO contest, but it's not European Idol either. It IS Eurovision SONG Contest, and I guess songs are often listened to in audio so. Yes there were singers with good vocal abilities, but lots with crappy songs.

I just don't want Eurovision to go back to the dark age of the 80's (and to some extent the 90's) where there were plenty of dull stuff and juries getting all excited over the most oldfashiond, generic and crappy stuff leaving the more interesting stuff in the bottom.

AlekS
14th January 2011, 16:01
^ but you forgot that's it about EuroVISION (and vision comes first), you don't listen to just an audio when you watch it :p
Now, please respect an admin Matt and what he said.

A-lister
14th January 2011, 16:02
^ but you forgot that's it about EuroVISION (and vision comes first), you don't listen to just an audio when you watch it :p
Now, please respect an admin Matt and what he said.

Oh sure, but voice is def not vision just audio ;)

Yep back to topic! :)

AlekS
14th January 2011, 16:14
^ that's why there's no need for you to complain about crappy songs ;)
Now get back to the theme of this thread.

Matt
14th January 2011, 16:15
Okay, I'm done. Final warning. Anything unrelated to this topic will result in further actions. Thank you!

A-lister
14th January 2011, 16:16
So Nathalie is out of the picture then it seems? I wanted her actually :(

Matt
14th January 2011, 16:19
Which is good cause i didn't care for her vocals or her winning song at all!!!

AlekS
14th January 2011, 16:21
however there will be a committee that will decides whether to send the San Remo Festival winner or someone else.
Which means that we can have someone else if Nathalie fails @ San Remo and no Marco cuz he refused from participating again.

Gandan
14th January 2011, 16:23
So Nathalie is out of the picture then it seems? I wanted her actually :(

Nathalie will be in "Sanremofestivalen" ( :°D ) singing "Vivo sospesa" (I live suspended)

According to me, but this is only a personal opinion....

Anna Oxa, Giusy Ferreri, Nathalie, Tricarico or Emma Marrone feat. Modà (omg, no please, no ;_; )

Or, apart from Sanremo 2011.... Marco Mengoni...

Gandan
14th January 2011, 16:27
Which means that we can have someone else if Nathalie fails @ San Remo and no Marco cuz he refused from participating again.

Maybe Marco Mengoni if in RAI headquartes will listen Rai2 chairman....

However, according to me, they'll choose a singer indipendently if he will be the winner or not.

AlekS
14th January 2011, 16:32
RAI2 chairman or any other individual officials won't influence the whole headquarter. I know there were officials who asked RAI to bring Sana Marino back 1 year ago - they were screwed. I know RAI officials who tried to persuade RAI to come back, all these years - they were screwed.
That's why I also think that they will choose independently.
Send Mengoni next year :twisted:

Gandan
14th January 2011, 16:47
RAI2 chairman or any other individual officials won't influence the whole headquarter. I know there were officials who asked RAI to bring Sana Marino back 1 year ago - they were screwed. I know RAI officials who tried to persuade RAI to come back, all these years - they were screwed.
That's why I also think that they will choose independently.
Send Mengoni next year :twisted:

Rai wants a musical show to substitute xFactor. Probably they thought about Eurovision. Wait and see. Personally, I'm very happy about our comeback. Now it is real, it isn't a dream!

xcheer

AlekS
14th January 2011, 16:51
^ xkiss

Gandan
14th January 2011, 16:54
There is a TERRIBLE risk...

Al Bano!

xdoh

Matt
14th January 2011, 16:56
There is a TERRIBLE risk...

Al Bano!

xdoh

Is he really being considered or is it just a fear of yours?

Gandan
14th January 2011, 17:13
There isn't rumours about it, but if a committee will decide choosing a singer from Sanremo...

In this moment is a fear of mine... and I hope it will remain a fear :geek:

94ayd
14th January 2011, 19:47
ZERO ASSOLUTO, LUCA DIRISIO! :D There's hardly anything worse you could offer, compared to Al Bano... :lol:

Imlate
15th January 2011, 00:13
Hi everyone.
I think Sony Music Italy is promoting ESC with Rai, they are going to choose an arist of their label.
Giusy Ferreri is one of them and she will take part in Sanremo's competition. Otherwise, there is the outsider Marco Mengoni.

Kalina
15th January 2011, 21:12
I really think Giusy Ferreri might be chosen to represent Italy at the ESC. Beside the fact that she'll be a contestant in the Sanremo Music Festival, if what Imlate is saying about Sony and Rai is true they might try to send her because she got REALLY popular when she came out second in our first X Factor (she was the one who sold the most that year), but now she's sort of disappeared... ESC could be good for her.
That is, of course, if they won't choose Sanremo Festival's winner (99% Emma Marrone and Modà, IMHO).
Marco Mengoni said that he won't take part in Sanremo this year, he is now working on his next album and might be planning to come out with it in April/May. His label (Sony for him, too) might ask him to partecipate but rumors say that he wouldn't be too eager, he wants to take his time (he'd be forced to get his album out, because he has no new songs).
It is still possible that Nathalie will partecipate... :confused:

Imlate
16th January 2011, 11:30
I don't know. I guess they (Sony?Rai?A committee?) have already chosen a singer. That's why Nathalie's concert in Rome is planned for 14 May.
Anyway, I don't think Sony, Rai and even the commitee will support Emma and Modà. After Marco Carta,Valerio Scanu, Emma's win will cause a lot of polemics.

Simon87
16th January 2011, 15:40
Giusy Ferreri is great! :D

Sean
16th January 2011, 15:48
Offtopic but it's awesome to see a few new Italian members :mrgreen: xwelcome

ParadiseES
16th January 2011, 17:13
I love Giusy Ferreri too and it would be awesome to see her in ESC. But I have a feeling that I will like any Italian song, no matter what it is. I just love Italy and its music :D
And yeah, welcome to all the Italian members! xwelcome

Imlate
16th January 2011, 18:15
So, is Giusy Ferreri famous abroad?

Thanks ;)

AlekS
16th January 2011, 18:20
^ yep, she's famous in certain circles here as well.

CiprianZisu
16th January 2011, 18:25
that name is a little familiar to me too
its a good sign when singers have international fame of sorts
even if small

Imlate
16th January 2011, 18:50
She was the queen of the charts during 2008. Maybe she was the first popstar wannabe who turned out to be a really famous singer.
Then, we had Marco Carta, Noemi, Alessandra Amoroso, Valerio Scanu, Marco Mengoni, Emma Marrone and Nathalie. As you see there is a lot of competition right now.

CiprianZisu
16th January 2011, 19:16
thats why then haha

Kalina
16th January 2011, 21:42
Anyway, I don't think Sony, Rai and even the commitee will support Emma and Modà. After Marco Carta,Valerio Scanu, Emma's win will cause a lot of polemics.

Le vie di Maria sono infinite... :lol:

I don't know, I guess it depends if they win the festival or not. And if the song is big hit (not like Scanu's last year :shock:)

Thanks to everybody for your welcome :mrgreen: I'm really looking forward to the ESC. I have no idea what to expect... last time Italy attended I was 7 years old :lol: (and they aired it around 2 or 3 a.m. because nobody watched it).

ParadiseES
16th January 2011, 21:44

Thanks ;)

Yeah, she even sang her songs in Spanish too, as well as many other Italian singers :)

Darko
16th January 2011, 23:50
I would love to see Giusy Ferreri in ESC. I'm pretty sure she'd be the right choice : her vocals are excellent and she's already gained some popularity in Albania and Greece, right? Plus, she released her first album in Spain.

Anyway, i'm so glad to see Italy back ^^

MyHeartIsYours
16th January 2011, 23:57
Apparently Eiffel 65 are releasing a new single! ;) :D

Imlate
17th January 2011, 00:35
Le vie di Maria sono infinite... :lol:

I don't know, I guess it depends if they win the festival or not. And if the song is big hit (not like Scanu's last year :shock:)

LOL. I don't think their song will be a massive hit. All Modà's songs are similar, I guess their song will be like La notte or Son Già Solo

Giusy, I guess she will be the first choice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWwO3dXIN0U
...but Marco is gaining a lot of popularity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CngTI8qGwk
and he has got a great attitude on the stage (ok, he can't dance xrofl3 )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKuwbdnuro

annyskod
17th January 2011, 01:50
(ok, he can't dance xrofl3 )

it doesn't matter how good you can dance,it matters how good you are on reaching audience attention

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjWn2yKlM6A

xxmasxwelcomexcheerxcheer

Imlate
17th January 2011, 02:03
Welcome Anny,
do you like Mengoni?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRawzUHaAIE&feature=related
I do love the fact that he is extremely self-confidence on the stage.

kaiser
17th January 2011, 02:19
http://r24.imgfast.net/users/2413/11/74/92/smiles/250657.gif

OMG, Anny ! That was a terrific performance of his at X-factor 3! :shock:
:idea: Italy may want to send also those two fantastic dancers to the ESC ;)

Also this one was an extraordinary performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4B7rlzjfc0

:o

annyskod
17th January 2011, 02:19
Welcome Anny,
do you like Mengoni?

I do love the fact that he is extremely self-confidence on the stage.

absolutely.He's so young and talented,honestly I've never seen a singer so eclectic in Italy.He can sing what he wants and give always a personal version of the song,very creative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqi8ovx9S1Y

annyskod
17th January 2011, 02:27
http://r24.imgfast.net/users/2413/11/74/92/smiles/250657.gif

OMG, Anny ! That was a terrific performance of his at X-factor 3! :shock:
:idea: Italy may want to send also those two fantastic dancers to the ESC ;)

Also this one was an extraordinary performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4B7rlzjfc0

:o

OMG ! :o I've never seen this..is it always from the X Factor programme?Excellent!xcheersxcheerxcheerxcheer

Gandan
17th January 2011, 03:27

Thanks ;)

In Greece she's really famous!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3ePIjV4uGw

Benvenuto/a! (Welcome!)

and... Welcome Kalina!

Imlate
17th January 2011, 12:23
Thanks Gandan.
I think the ESC could be a great opportunity for her. Sony needs to relaunch her, at least here in Italy.

What about Emma?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39dm0gz7EkI

kaiser
17th January 2011, 12:29
@Kalina
ok, Giusy maybe a less risky choice being already known in some countries, but Marco Mengoni has an incredible power of capturing spectators attention with his scenic presence and a superb voice...;) :!:

GRE
17th January 2011, 12:34
Please Italy Giusy or Natalie!:)
NOT Marco! :?

kaiser
17th January 2011, 12:46
:confused: Why NOT ?

annyskod
17th January 2011, 12:47
Who is Emma?:?

alca
17th January 2011, 12:48
Giusy!! It would be a strong comeback for Italy! :)

GRE
17th January 2011, 12:53
:confused: Why NOT ?

Becouse i believe that the two girls are better choises!
Better voices!
Nothing special about the man.Take him a mirror to admire himself and have selfconfidence,dont send him to Duseeldorf!

Imlate
17th January 2011, 12:58
Anny, Emma won the last Amici di Maria ;)

annyskod
17th January 2011, 13:02

I don't know if she had success or not in your country because in Italy none heard her songs in the last years,after the great success she had when came out from X Factor she didn't do an excellent work with songs,and I know that lately she closed some dates for her concerts..no one came :o and her voice is nothing special,about being similar to amy winehouse xsing

Darko
17th January 2011, 13:05

I totally agree!

kaiser
17th January 2011, 13:05
Becouse i believe that the two girls are better choises!
Better voices!
Nothing special about the man.Take him a mirror to admire himself and have selfconfidence,dont send him to Duseeldorf!

maybe you prefer this look and song... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYQrmzctxRw

annyskod
17th January 2011, 13:10
come on spanish and greece,listen to this amazing guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RU_sooeGsU

-O-xromancexlisten2xlisten2

:D

Pancaspe
17th January 2011, 13:10
@Kaiser

In un giorno qualunque is my favourite song, ever. It's so sweet. *_*
And Marco is HOT in suit. ^///^

A-lister
17th January 2011, 13:12
Giusy, I guess she will be the first choice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWwO3dXIN0U

She'd be a good choice imo!

Also I'd like to see Paola & Chiara, but something tells me RAI wouldn't chose them, maybe for San Marino?

annyskod
17th January 2011, 13:15
She'd be a good choice imo!

Also I'd like to see Paola & Chiara, but something tells me RAI wouldn't chose them, maybe for San Marino?

maybe because they don't write songs since 1995

A-lister
17th January 2011, 13:23
maybe because they don't write songs since 1995

An act doesn't have to write their own songs to take part in Eurovision.

This song is from 2010, so they're pretty much still active:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClfcqXJf3Z8

Imlate
17th January 2011, 13:24
Strangely enough, It seems like a certain kind of Italian music is more appreciated abroad :lol:
The truth is there are a lot of great singers/musicians ( Subsonica, Afterhours, Caparezza ) and not only Nek,Laura Pausini or Eros Ramazzotti.

A-lister
17th January 2011, 13:26
^
It is probably due to the fact that most Italian acts are unknown abroad.