PDA

View Full Version : UNITED KINGDOM 2011 - Blue - I Can

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

escYOUnited
1st May 2010, 19:33
http://goodlett.proteomics.washington.edu/group_members/images/uk-flag.png

http://xmages.net/storage/10/1/0/3/1/upload/4d2d650d.png

Performed by: Blue
Lyrics by: Duncan James, Lee Ryan, Ciaron Bell, Ben Collier, Ian Hope, Liam Keenan, StarSign
Composed by: Duncan James, Lee Ryan, Ciaron Bell, Ben Collier, Ian Hope, Liam Keenan, StarSign
Language: English

lucian-crusher
2nd May 2010, 00:34
Natasha Bedingfield, Cheryl Cole, Lily Allen, Alesha Dixon etc.
I think I am goig to far! :lol: :lol:

Alexu
2nd May 2010, 00:40
Unfortunately big artists, don't want to participate in this kind of competition. :( Some british people said somewhere that ESC is a "gay contest" in UK so a lot of artists avoid their association with it. In eastern countries the contest is more popular I think, artists wish to participate....and we don't have this wrong mentality, all people like ESC not only gay people.

94ayd
2nd May 2010, 00:49
I doubt it's only gay people there, either. Why did Andrew Lloyd Webber participate, then?

Alexu
2nd May 2010, 01:02
No, I didn't say the artists are considered gay....just that British people tend to name ESC a gay related contest...at least this is what I rode in some places...so maybe some artists don't want to participate not to be misunderstood. I was shocked when a friend told me that "ESC news" appear on the Gay category of magazines/newspaper in UK...which is quite absurd, because after all is just a music contest. Anyway, is all about mentality, and the subject is too complicated to discuss about. :D

Blush
2nd May 2010, 01:54
Cheryl cole!!!! she is awesome :D

94ayd
2nd May 2010, 11:07
Yup. :D But it'd better be something like "Parachute".

Sim
2nd May 2010, 11:08
Leona Lewis? :D

Alexu
2nd May 2010, 11:13
Cheeky girls? :lol: :lol: :lol:

lucian-crusher
2nd May 2010, 11:14
I think big names don't participate because they are afraid to fail in Eurovision. For Cheryl Cole a 2nd place in Eurovision would be a disaster....

Mickey
2nd May 2010, 14:07
I doubt it's only gay people there, either. Why did Andrew Lloyd Webber participate, then?
Ha! While Lloyd Webber isn't gay himself, his musical theatre talent contests are some of the campest shows on television. He's the only straight man on this year's programme.

I saw an advert for a comedy show about the upcoming election this week, which said "The election is basically eurovision for straight people". Obviously, not everyone who likes eurovision over here is gay - I'm not - but the fact I have to specifically state that speaks volumes.

I don't think the gay thing really stops people from entering, though. No one thinks Eurovision's gay following reflects in any way on the artists involved.

I thin big names don't participate because they are afraid to fail in Eurovision. Fo Cheryl Cole a 2nd place in Eurovision would be a disaster....
2nd place would be fine. We can always blame Eastern European bloc voting for that. If we come outside the top 20, that's a disaster.

Isabella
2nd May 2010, 14:11
Leona Lewis? :D

I would also love to see her on ECS :D

Luke
2nd May 2010, 22:22
2nd place would be fine.

That's a disaster in the eyes of british media.

imno12u
3rd May 2010, 18:34
Why are people suggesting major artists? This is pie-in-the-sky thinking! Established artists in Britain won't even touch Eurovision.

wittgenstein
3rd May 2010, 19:01
m.i.a

haha that would be something.

Alexu
4th May 2010, 02:00
Why are people suggesting major artists? This is pie-in-the-sky thinking! Established artists in Britain won't even touch Eurovision.

Can u tell us why? :D u are British and u know better than we do!

Schlagerman1
4th May 2010, 14:15
UK..no famous singers or band or songwriter please...

Pick a girl/guy on the street, record a proper song and guess what, you may have a shot in 2011! ;)

alca
4th May 2010, 14:18
^ Tell that to Andy Abraham :lol:

dizzydjc
5th May 2010, 00:58
They need to start allowing foreign songwriters for one thing, they need to ditch the hideous "camp appeal" as it's seriously dated and not everything in ESC is gay orientated nowadays and they need to get A GOOD SONG!!!!!!!!

That is it, that's all we need to do and we're in with a shot.

I say we should follow Germanys example for next year.

iowacorn
5th May 2010, 03:53
Kate Nash if Lena doesn't win

paddyirl
6th May 2010, 17:58
An X-Factor reject perhaps, an established artist would NEVER enter due to the stigma attached to the ESC.

Milos-BC
6th May 2010, 23:12
Sugababes :P

Yeah, in my dreams :lol:

94ayd
6th May 2010, 23:23
They could do it because of Jade? ;)

Milos-BC
6th May 2010, 23:23
I don't think so. But who knows

Joabi
8th May 2010, 14:16
Duffy!

MrJadeEwen
8th May 2010, 19:54
I think big names don't participate because they are afraid to fail in Eurovision. For Cheryl Cole a 2nd place in Eurovision would be a disaster....

hit the nail on the head there :P no famous artists would enter in case they came 2nd. Then they would be deemed a loser by the media and they would lose all their sales. It's a horrid vicious cycle.

94ayd
9th May 2010, 14:28
Why should it be the singer's fault? It's not them that vote. ;)

paddyirl
11th May 2010, 18:49
The tabloid media would have a field day if an established artists entered and failed.

DoctorX
13th May 2010, 16:25
My only suggestion is: try to send famous singers instead of famous composers. I don't think all of them will reject an offer from BBC. They don't need any more fame to gain by appearing on 'that' stage but also any of them can accept as Sir Webber did last year. Was he blamed after coming 5th place? I don't think so..
Cheryl Cole would be freaking amazing BTW :twisted:

MrJadeEwen
16th May 2010, 04:43
if someone like Cheryl Cole entered and came second all the newspapers will call her a failure and many other things, she'd lose her record deal and be unpopular. The risk is too big for artists like her to enter, upcoming artists who aren't famous in europe need to get the stage time eurovision offers without the risks attached. Any British artists currently charting would not enter, you need someone that is sorta going off the boil or is unknown.. it's a shame :/ so the composer idea was a nice one from the BBC 8-)

If we have a continuous string of good results then maybe we can see someone entering, but that's a long shot :P the best hope of an artist would be Alesha Dixon purely as the BBC can encourage her to do it to promote the contest. They promote her on Strictly and other shows so it may be some mutual thing, but then again there's not really a chance of that either :|

The other thing, X-factor, the people who entered this being more likely to do eurovision aren't allowed as simon cowell sees it as a waste of money and a waste of time. Eurovision is an uphill struggle for the UK :(

MrJadeEwen
16th May 2010, 04:49
They could do it because of Jade? ;)

she wouldn't lol, first the record label would refuse and Jade already said herself it gave her the boost she needed for her career nothing more, it has nothing to offer her now.

wittgenstein
22nd May 2010, 16:45
i would personally love -
marina and the diamonds

evilperson
23rd May 2010, 23:46
if someone like Cheryl Cole entered and came second all the newspapers will call her a failure

I really doubt she would win if she went, her live performances consist of her being drowned out by the backing track. The problem with popular singers entering Eurovision is they don't really pay attention to entering with a good song, they think their popularity will be enough to get them the win and instead they end up nowhere on the scoreboard.

A popular singer is not necessary for the UK, many unknown names can sing much better than big names. The focus should be on the song as it is now but perhaps they should allow more than one songwriter to submit songs to the BBC and then they should pick the best one in order to avoid the "That Sounds Good To Me' debacle.

Raul_Spain
24th May 2010, 01:03
The BBC wanted a cheap solution to this year ESC issue and end up with Josh/Waterman. Now they've realized their error and are investing money in the act to make it look at least OK. Next year I think we will see something 1000 times better.

MyHeartIsYours
28th May 2010, 04:30
I want Dima for the UK! :D :D or if it has to be a British artist I think Jo O'Meara would be amazing. She is a superb singer and I think with a good old ballad she would get top 5 for sure!

Margerita86
28th May 2010, 13:27
Unless it is like this year and we get another load of massive ballad use. You would need a masterpiece to get out of the bottom 5 again since you competition has fans since the semi's.

MyHeartIsYours
28th May 2010, 15:30
Juries love ballads and juries love the United Kingdom :D
Even if there was loads of ballads we would still do better than most.

Deltage
28th May 2010, 18:01
There have actually been lots of songwriters/producers in Eurovision who have been successful or written totally different/less known songs before, especially from Scandinavia. So I guess this could work for UK. Although the problem is that most of them haven't really won or finished that high.

Samb
30th May 2010, 01:57
A lot of problems here.

First off, I wouldn't want an established artist to participate for the UK - I really don't think its in the spirit of the thing. This has to be a gradual process: it looked like we could head in the right direction after a ery respectable 2009 but this year we sucked and rightly so. The main blame has to lie with the selection process in the UK which is a shambles and only serves to keep Eurovision in an under-radar 'cult' status rather than a genuine competition where there could be a source of pride.

We need to stop choosing singers around songs as it doesn't work. An open contest could.

MyHeartIsYours
30th May 2010, 04:25
Let's win 2011 and host when we have the Olympics too! :mrgreen:

Sim
30th May 2010, 07:48
hopefully better song!!!!!!!!

Raul_Spain
30th May 2010, 12:37
You have to copy the Eesti Laul formula.

Deltage
30th May 2010, 12:52
If they have to copy anything Estonian, it should be the old system, Eurolaul. The new NF is just basically a specific clique from one radio station choosing their favorite song, eliminating any songs with ESC/hit potential and offering the ESC ticket as a bonus. And we ended up like the UK did, only in the semi-finals.

uk....winner
30th May 2010, 15:10
an Indie song for '11 maybe?

WelshEurovisionFan
30th May 2010, 16:13
I have heard rumblings from the Shadow Culture Minister Ben Bradshaw MP (Lab, Exeter) that the United Kingdom should withdraw from Eurovision (and the European Broadcasting Union as a whole) due to the contributions that the UK makes. If those rumblings are confirmed, I am wondering whether he had those feelings when he was Culture Minister prior to the general election?

A-lister
30th May 2010, 23:14
If they have to copy anything Estonian, it should be the old system, Eurolaul. The new NF is just basically a specific clique from one radio station choosing their favorite song, eliminating any songs with ESC/hit potential and offering the ESC ticket as a bonus. And we ended up like the UK did, only in the semi-finals.

Eesti Laul gave you your best song and position in YEARS (Urban Symphony)... It's much better and interesting than Eurolaul for sure.

They just need to chose the right one that's all... but then again it's just been for two years and in the first Eesti Laul they did the right choice and got a good position.

As for the UK; I honestly think they should stay home for a year to think things over if they really can't start treating this contest with somewhat respect. Maybe with the German win there might be some new hope in the Big4 countries that you CAN achieve a good result and even a win if you really pay attention to the contest.

MrJadeEwen
31st May 2010, 02:12

The BBC would actually cry if they had to host during Olympic year :lol:

Deltage
31st May 2010, 02:36
Eesti Laul gave you your best song and position in YEARS (Urban Symphony)... It's much better and interesting than Eurolaul for sure.

It's just a coincidence as the new format hadn't fully taken off yet and artists and producers were basically the same who had been taking part in Eurolaul. Besides if I remember correctly that particular song was at first eliminated and then got to the final only because some other song got disqualified or something. And I really doubt that Sven Lõhmus just happened to produce some good songs because of the new format as he's been taking part almost every year.

Anyway, you saw the result we got this year. That's what I'm talking about and I'm sure it will happen next year too.

A-lister
31st May 2010, 02:40

Anyway, you saw the result we got this year. That's what I'm talking about and I'm sure it will happen next year too.

Because your song was just too indie for this...

but you HAD better options in your selection that would probably make it to the final; Rolf Junior and Lenna ... so don't blame Esti Laul... blame whoever judge/votes in that.

Deltage
31st May 2010, 02:54
Well, that's the point, as far as I know the jury system isn't really open and has ties with the people who run the NF. They don't really take the contest seriously and have other interests than actual success in ESC, I'm not even sure why those people were put in charge then in the first place. Even the name change (Estonian Song as opposed to Eurosong) is basically to make it seem like it's only a local song competition for artists that don't care about ESC. I just think that they should have this local "alternative" thing and the ESC national final separate, the concepts are too different.

hawadharma
31st May 2010, 05:28
I love the song 'UP' from THE SATURDAYS.

Would make a great Eurovision song.. :D

A-lister
31st May 2010, 11:36

Totally agree!

But the UK think they're too good for this so they want to send some crap instead :lol:

Anyways... Sugababes are soon C-listed so they might give it a go :D

hawadharma
1st June 2010, 00:50

Totally agree!

But the UK think they're too good for this so they want to send some crap instead :lol:

Anyways... Sugababes are soon C-listed so they might give it a go :D

I think The Saturdays is a good candidate, because they are not that famous anyway.
I only know who's singing this song and the title of the song 1 month after I listen to it.

Dalia
1st June 2010, 14:02
UK want to win? Then you should take Robert Pattinson ... :lol: ?

MrJadeEwen
1st June 2010, 23:13
I'd Like to see:

- Alexandra Burke
- Katherine Jenkins
- JLS
- Lady GaGa (ok she's american, but she'd do well ;) )
- Cheryl Cole
- Sugababes
- Amy McDonald

The top 3 are very good live singers, GaGa & Cheryl Cole has amazing songs all the time :mrgreen:, The sugababes will probably need some promotion soon although they are amazing. Amy McDonald is very unique and be a chance to send something different :)

However i'm always up for another ALW Ballad

And who am i kidding, we'll have another nobody who can just about sing with a song that died in the 80s.... :(

Raul_Spain
1st June 2010, 23:27
Lady Gaga is very well produced but most of her songs are very weak imho

MyHeartIsYours
2nd June 2010, 02:12
!!!DIDRIK AND JOSH!!!

http://bloggfiler.no/alexbz.blogg.no/images/722426-8-1269087962748.jpg http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/content/newsimages09/MD-JOSH_DUBOVIE003.jpg

::uk ::uk ::uk ::uk ::uk ::uk ::uk ::uk ::uk ::uk

AlekS
2nd June 2010, 16:50
I highly doubt that someone famous agrees to represent the UK during next 2 years (+ what "MrJadeEwen" said about Olympics).

I would like some beginner, maybe unknown and talented professional singer. Like Jade for instance. Or Alyosha, or Lena...

MrJadeEwen
3rd June 2010, 01:23
I highly doubt that someone famous agrees to represent the UK during next 2 years

but someone famous was offered this year, according to the sun Katie Melua offered her services which were refused

stupid BBC :evil:

Olli
3rd June 2010, 03:20

The BBC would actually cry if they had to host during Olympic year :lol:

are you sure?

do not forget that the BBC and EBU are responsible for the broadcast of the olympic games worldwide.....
and a eurovision song contest just before the games 2012 would be a perfect "rehearsal" for the games....

but what should the BBC do in 2011?
start there where you stopped after the ESC in 2009..... and take the whole thing more seriously again

the UK do not need a famous superstar to win the whole thing. just a good song and a great talent. your country is full of talents :-)

paddyirl
3rd June 2010, 03:42
I highly doubt that someone famous agrees to represent the UK during next 2 years

but someone famous was offered this year, according to the sun Katie Melua offered her services which were refused

For some reason the BBC insist on a national final to pick the act.

Gary Barlow wanted to write the song and choose the performer, he wasn't allowed apparently.
Katie Melua wouldn't have wanted to compete in a NF with a bunch of nobodies.

Why does the BBC insist on a NF?

hawadharma
3rd June 2010, 03:44
Let this year's Britain's Got Talent winner go Eurovision. :D

paddyirl
3rd June 2010, 03:46
And if it is a dog what happens then, NO animals in ESC, its a rule. :lol: :lol:

hawadharma
3rd June 2010, 03:53
And if it is a dog what happens then, NO animals in ESC, its a rule. :lol: :lol:

Ask the owner to sing then. :lol:

Olli
3rd June 2010, 04:01

and the BBC said no??? oh my god :cry:

AlekS
3rd June 2010, 12:56

oh, "The Sun" ... :lol:

anyway, let me rephrase, BBC won't allow someone famous to sing. At least someone who definitely has chances to win the contest. For the 2nd consecutive year BBC confessed that they aren't interested in the victory.

hmmm, imo, if they took it seriously with ALW they came back to previous attitude this year.
If they think it's for entertaining, poking fun at ESC and controversial discussions about other countries/performers.... okay. But serious performers who can bring success do not fit this formula, imo.

Margerita86
3rd June 2010, 15:17
While you never know, but I think the UK has just subscribed to a spot in the bottom 5 every year if that is the attitude BBC has...

uncommon
3rd June 2010, 15:29
Send Sophie Ellis Bextor, please!!! It will be simple a bomb!!!! Then I will vote for Great Britain.
[youtube:1v8hq99x]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1sKhvcABH8[/youtube:1v8hq99x]

Bonnie
7th June 2010, 19:39
I want to see Tom Felton for UK! :) How cool, I'm a great fan of him. Great guy, voice, songs, guitar. ;) I know it's like impossible but It'd be great with Tom Felton! =] This year Tom Dice reminds me to him!

Schlagerman1
8th June 2010, 12:21
anyway, let me rephrase, BBC won't allow someone famous to sing. At least someone who definitely has chances to win the contest. For the 2nd consecutive year BBC confessed that they aren't interested in the victory.

Well I came to my mind now that I guess that UK doesn't want to win..since the Olympics in London is not that far away, so they won't send a winner, thats for sure.

but please UK, would just be fun if you sent a song that was modern at least...as I said multiple times on the forum, it doesn't have to be someone famous, just send something fresh and at least compete about 10th place, that would at least make me a bit happy! :)

lucian-crusher
8th June 2010, 12:33
I think diferently! I think that -uk would want to win because of the Olympics and host them both in 2012! 8-) 8-)

MyHeartIsYours
8th June 2010, 13:18
^ Wooooooooooo! That is what I am desperate for!!! :D :D :D

FallenAngelII
8th June 2010, 22:00
I want to see Tom Felton for UK! :) How cool, I'm a great fan of him. Great guy, voice, songs, guitar. ;) I know it's like impossible but It'd be great with Tom Felton! =] This year Tom Dice reminds me to him!
What the, Draco Malfoy in my Eurovision?! Well, if he shows up with bleached hair, wizards robes riding on a broomstick, the UK's got a Top 5 spot in the bag.

AlekS
8th June 2010, 22:04
^ lol :lol:
I wouldn't mind him too :oops:

MrJadeEwen
8th June 2010, 22:34
I think diferently! I think that -uk would want to win because of the Olympics and host them both in 2012! 8-) 8-)

Olympics already makes the BBC spend way more than usual, Eurovision as well would make the show completely crap... If you want a good BBC hosting 2013 would be better

imno12u
13th June 2010, 03:11
UK want to win? Then you should take Robert Pattinson ... :lol: ?

Actually, that's a really good idea! "Let Me Sign" is a great song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H47oQH1TW4

MyHeartIsYours
13th June 2010, 03:20
Ewwww no thanks!!! Not him!!! :lol: :lol:

Matt
10th July 2010, 17:03
This obviously doesn't come as a surprise but BBC has confirmed their participation (not that we were really worried about them)

paddyirl
10th July 2010, 19:48
Same Difference :lol:

Luke
11th July 2010, 17:15
The songwriter that will write our 2011 entry will depend on the amount of money the BBC's entertainment department decide to allocate to our Eurovision participation. If (and only IF) they can offer enough money, Gary Barlow will be the songwriter.

goktengri
14th July 2010, 05:07
Ellie Goulding !

Stella
14th July 2010, 23:32
I would like to see Leona Lewis.She has an amazing voice and will get my vote :)

MyHeartIsYours
15th July 2010, 00:09
Scissor Sisters for the UK!!!
::uk ::us ::uk ::us ::uk

They have had most of their success in the UK, have regular tours here and are a gay band so I dont think they would mind doing Eurovision! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Also it would mean UK would have a famous representative and they have some goood music - top 5 guaranteed! :D :D :D

Isabella
15th July 2010, 00:25
^ I like Scissor Sisters :mrgreen: They would be a great choice for UK, but unfortunately I don't think this is possible :(

AlekS
15th July 2010, 00:35
same here.
maybe I'd voted for the UK (after Jade) once again =)

MyHeartIsYours
15th July 2010, 01:22
If the BBC asked them to do then I am fairly confident they would do it. They dont exactly have a 'cool' reputation to uphold! :lol: :lol:
The BBC have to do something different as the present selection is quite clearly not working and is a disaster! 2 successful entries in over a decade!!

manialf
15th July 2010, 14:39
MIKA has been approached by the BBC to write a song for Eurovision: http://bit.ly/8ZGwUq

Milos-BC
15th July 2010, 15:28
^^ It would be awesome to have either Mika's song or Scissor Sisters on ESC. But doubt that will happen :(

MyHeartIsYours
15th July 2010, 15:37
I love 'We Are Golden' of MIKA's but thats about it. :|

xpray xpray xpray Scissor Sisters xpray xpray xpray

DoctorX
15th July 2010, 16:24
It would be INSANE! Old professional composers are OK but they can do nothing with ESC nowadays even though Sir Webber managed to bring UK to top 5 the song was so old-fashioned. If it comes true it's gonna be huge.. I love Mika and most of his songs and i want to support UK for the first time :D
Fingers crossed xpray

Sean
15th July 2010, 18:52
I believe both Mika and Scissor Sisters have expressed interest in ESC in the past (or well I read that somewhere :? I think :lol: ) If Mika's song was anything like Rain then that'd be cool :mrgreen:

Mickey
15th July 2010, 22:19
If Mika's song was anything like Rain then that'd be cool :mrgreen:
When I saw him perform that at The Royal Variety Performance, I thought it was a perfect Eurovision song. Given free reign to pick whichever artist I wanted to perform for the UK, Mika would be right at the top of my list.

Milos-BC
15th July 2010, 23:26
Yeah, "Rain" is quite a good song. And I love most of his songs too, so he would be a great choice. I am glad BBC decided to go in that direction, but now let's just hope he accepts :D

UK then may really have chances for a top 5 again if he writes a good entry.

Matt
16th July 2010, 15:17
Here is the esctoday.com article about BBC approaching Mike to write the ESC 11 entry

http://esctoday.com/news/read/16008

Coloursunday
16th July 2010, 17:36
Hey guys and girls,

Anyone have any suggestions how best me and my band can go about trying to get our song involved as the British representative at next years competition?

We are 'Colour Sunday' and you can find us on facebook and myspace.

We've written a peach that think would go down a storm at Eurovision!

Any help / advise would be appreciated!

Please contact us on coloursunday@gmail.com

Cheers nice people!

Benny
CS
X :lol:

MyHeartIsYours
17th July 2010, 00:25
Wooooo you guys are really awesome!!! Please do Eurovision!!! xpray xpray xpray You are soooo much better than Mika!!

I have listened to your songs on myspace and my fave is Goodnight Sunlight :mrgreen: It is a really beautiful song. :D
I guess you should just email the BBC and see what they say. They will not have made any preparations yet (although they said they have but we know this is lies :lol: ). They will be open to all suggestions and I reckon they would love you. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Coloursunday
17th July 2010, 01:24
Thanks for the kind words!! THe song we have lined up for Euro is MUCH better than any one myspace!! :)

Any idea who at the BBC we need to contact? Sorry if I'm being stupid!!

:)

Wooooo you guys are really awesome!!! Please do Eurovision!!! xpray xpray xpray You are soooo much better than Mika!!

I have listened to your songs on myspace and my fave is Goodnight Sunlight :mrgreen: It is a really beautiful song. :D
I guess you should just email the BBC and see what they say. They will not have made any preparations yet (although they said they have but we know this is lies :lol: ). They will be open to all suggestions and I reckon they would love you. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MyHeartIsYours
17th July 2010, 01:54
You are not being stupid coz I dont know properly either!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As there is no BBC Eurovision email yet I would presume you should email the general email: info@bbc.co.uk
I would just write that you want to represent UK and give link to your myspace site and see what they say. Maybe give them the song you want to send although you might want to wait to give it to them when they actually seem interested. :D

I hope they reply to you as I think the UK would do really well and also Im sure to love the song!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sean
17th July 2010, 13:31
You seem quite good :mrgreen: Yeah, the best way that I would know of is to e-mail the BBC but I'm sure there are some more knowledgeable people here about these matters and they might be able to help you further 8-)

Luke
23rd July 2010, 17:54
Please dont take this comment offensively, but the BBC likely not choose a band that's not known to the public. We most likely will be going down the songwriter route again, so they won't take your song and/or band into consideration..

MyHeartIsYours
23rd July 2010, 17:58
Well the BBC need to do something different otherwise we will end in failure again. I think Colour Sunday are really good and for once the UK would send a modern song to Eurovision!

Coloursunday
23rd July 2010, 18:08
Once again- thanks for the vote of confidence. I've e-mailed the BBC but as yet have recieved no reply? But nothing ventured / nothing gained!

Perhaps a bit of 'shake-up' is what is required for the UK to stand out from the crowd a bit!

x

Well the BBC need to do something different otherwise we will end in failure again. I think Colour Sunday are really good and for once the UK would send a modern song to Eurovision!

MyHeartIsYours
23rd July 2010, 18:12
I hope they reply to you :(

Luke
23rd July 2010, 21:32

They just need a decent supply of cash, and a reputable songwriter who knows what he's doing..

Once again- thanks for the vote of confidence. I've e-mailed the BBC but as yet have recieved no reply? But nothing ventured / nothing gained!

Perhaps a bit of 'shake-up' is what is required for the UK to stand out from the crowd a bit!

x

e-mail pamela.anderson@bbc.co.uk

MyHeartIsYours
23rd July 2010, 22:22
They write their own songs :roll:

Luke
23rd July 2010, 23:06
They write their own songs :roll:

Yeah and as if the BBC would catch on to that..

And your joke is sh*t :|

Excuse me.. I'm not joking. :roll: That's the e-mail address to the UK press manager for Eurovision 2010..

MyHeartIsYours
23rd July 2010, 23:30
Well Im sorry I thought you were taking the piss :oops: :oops: :oops:

Coloursunday
24th July 2010, 12:08
Thanks for the e-mail address- I'll drop them a line and see what happens!!

Will let you know if we hear anything back!

Benny
CS

eurofan1997
27th July 2010, 20:21
i find it better with a new singer but all the other contries with famous singers do better

Sway
30th July 2010, 01:20
THE SATURDAYS :D :D :D or maybe Pixie Lott :)

MyHeartIsYours
30th July 2010, 02:43
For me it's either Colour Sunday or the Scissor Sisters :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AlekS
30th July 2010, 12:19
Mika denied rumours about his participation

In the interview to one Estonian newspaper "Postimees" (he will give a concert there next Tuesday) he said: "This rumour is not true! It (Eurovision) is just not for me!"

Cole
30th July 2010, 17:16
I would love to see someone like the saturdays, girls aloud, JLS
someone professional with decent songwriters

PoppySnuggleGlass
1st August 2010, 21:20
Anyone except Nadia Almada... :|

I'll be happy with the BBC, providing they don't pick the song before they've chosen the artist again. Which will be unlikely.

Maybe something a bit more 'rocky' for ESC2011!

MyHeartIsYours
1st August 2010, 23:35
As much as I love Big Brother, I dont want Nadia at all. I think the same will become of this as did of Angel last year. :)

Matt
2nd August 2010, 16:23
escdaily.com

Nadia Almada, the winner of Big Brother 2004 has announced her intention of participating on behalf of the UK at the Eurovision Song Contest 2011. Nadia hopes to follow in the steps of fellow transsexual Dana International who represented Israel and won back in 1998.

Channel 4, the broadcaster of Big Brother announced Nadia’s plans on their official website by uploading a video of Nadia asking for your support.

AlekS
2nd August 2010, 16:53
Anyone except Nadia Almada... :|

I'll be happy with the BBC, providing they don't pick the song before they've chosen the artist again. Which will be unlikely.

Maybe something a bit more 'rocky' from ESC2011!
xyeah :)

PoppySnuggleGlass
2nd August 2010, 21:29
Maybe we can get the Australian comedian Santo Cilauro or 'Zlad' to represent us. :lol:

lp_PIjc2ga4

Jukica
2nd August 2010, 22:09
Maybe William Orbit could be good choice for composing if UK'll have the same system as last 1 years :D

Milos-BC
3rd August 2010, 10:36
Maybe we can get the Australian comedian Santo Cilauro or 'Zlad' to represent us. :lol:

lp_PIjc2ga4

:lol: :lol: :lol: I know this one :lol:

But it would get a similar result like "Leto Svet"

AlekS
5th August 2010, 22:54
Mika again denied these rumours, this time to Lithuanian press.
Basically he said the same thing that Eurovision is not for him + this time he added: "British ESC songs in recent years have been so terrible, that we really do not deserve any points".
Well, I don't think that he would be a great choice so I'd rather listen to something different :)

MyHeartIsYours
6th August 2010, 00:28
I agree with you Aleks... Mika is a tw*t, I dont want him in Eurovision. xnaughty

94ayd
6th August 2010, 11:26
Me, neither! So happy he declined. :P

Schlagerman1
7th August 2010, 19:23
I am happy he declined cause he is too big to participate in ESC. :P

I am getting tired of BBC basically destroys the contest for the people in Britain. Let an another channel that is more interested in doing good take over instead and send something radically different and good!! :(

DominikS
7th August 2010, 22:02
I am happy he declined cause he is too big to participate in ESC. :P

I am getting tired of BBC basically destroys the contest for the people in Britain. Let an another channel that is more interested in doing good take over instead and send something radically different and good!! :(

I think the BBC is best suited for the job... they have by far the most money and most viewers. On other channels eurovision would fail.

Entries would be worse too. ITV would organise some cheap x-factor type of show. Channel 4 would make it very analytical or documentary-like and would probably send in one of it's 'stars' - someone like Justin Lee Collins. Five would just fail completely.

The BBC simply needs to be more serious about it. Pour in a lot of money into the national-final and invite lots of stars to it. Something like Melodifestivalen. There is no festival or show in the UK where you can see more than one star performing at once. I'm sure something like Melodifestivalen could actually do well in Britain.

MyHeartIsYours
8th August 2010, 02:04
I want X Factor style so badly... but on BBC not ITV :D

DominikS
8th August 2010, 19:04
I want X Factor style so badly... but on BBC not ITV :D

Yeah I think BBC would do it well... ITV would make it all too commercial :mrgreen:

MyHeartIsYours
8th August 2010, 19:07
itv make everything sh*tty!! :lol:
Channel 4 is the best channel but they're sure to turn it pervy or somethin!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

DominikS
8th August 2010, 22:53
itv make everything sh*tty!! :lol:
Channel 4 is the best channel but they're sure to turn it pervy or somethin!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah... eurovision isn't right for them!!

bashers
9th August 2010, 16:04
What they need is real singers who want to participate with their own songs. THEN let the public decide. We dont need high profiled artists or songwriters because it makes it too cheap and tacky (Like this year). We have SO many talented people in this country..just look at singers on YOUTUBE. They should perform their own songs and then at least it wont be as shameful as pouring lots of money into a crappy programme like 'your country needs you' which this year was just terrible!

Come on BBC pull your fingers out, take it seriously, advertise it properly and lets put the UK back on the map!!!

jaws
25th August 2010, 00:17
i found the perfect group for uk <D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkeqYV_0VGQ&feature=player_embedded
They fit with josh's backing vocals this year :p

I want Susan Boyle :D or sugababes :)

Schlagerman1
25th August 2010, 08:47
i found the perfect group for uk <D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkeqYV_0VGQ&feature=player_embedded
They fit with josh's backing vocals this year :p

The thing is that UK has sounded like that every year now since 2003 :lol: (of course not..but especially 03, 05, 07, 08 and 10!)

MyHeartIsYours
25th August 2010, 14:34
I'd love if they represented UK! :mrgreen:
They were soooo funny!!! :lol:

MrJadeEwen
30th August 2010, 03:20
Hmmm there are a few paths the UK could take:

1. Reality TV - Good ratings, Good Song (if the right composer) , Popular but not necessarily Excellent Singer. "Fame Academy Does Eurovision" sounds good :)
2. Internal - Potentially Excellent Singer & Song combo, no show so neutral ratings as they can put on something else
3. MYMU - 6 acts.. well you all know this but there was never any choice like this.
4 Song NF - Picking someone famous then getting them to sing 3/4 songs on a single night. Nice Ratings due to their name, Good Song (don't want to risk reputation), only thing is you need someone good to actually bother taking part

Some notes for 2011:
- BBC want to get some more credit back after coming last
- They will not want to win due to costs of Olympics and moving their Department to Manchester in 2012
- if there is another last place the BBC may start to grow tired after a low ratings number this year
- Germany winning means the BBC need to up their game as the "they don't vote for us as we are western" has been proven wrong

Hopefully the BBC can shock us with a song like "Bad Boys", "It's My Time" or "Fight For this Love" rather than "That Sounds Good To Me"

MyHeartIsYours
30th August 2010, 03:52
Well personally I favour an X Factor style show. I understand there is the possibility of a copyright problem with ITV/Syco but I dont think there would really be a problem... I mean several channels have very similar shows - Big Brother and Im A Celebrity on C4 and ITV, Fame Acadamy and Pop Idol/ITV on BBC and ITV, Weakest Link and Who Wants To Be A Millionaire on BBC and ITV.
I believe the show should still remain as You Country Needs You, but in a completely different format from 2009 and 2010. Firstly the judging panel should be made up of ex-Eurovision artists from various countries. Maybe a few ones that are glamourous/hot would be Dima, Didrik, Jade, Yohanna, Paula Seling etc. Auditions should take place across the UK in Summer with the TV show starting in the Autumn showing the auditions etc. Then after New Year the live shows should start with the best contestants and continue until March when it will be down to the final 3 who will have written their own songs with a songwriter (not a famous one - just a good one) and then they will sing it for the country. Then the best will win and go to Eurovision. I believe this format would do wonders for UK interest in Eurovision as everyone loves a bit of talent show ;) :D.
Obviously this cant be done this year however coz it would already have to have started and the BBC is always late in getting organised for Eurovision :(.

So for 2011, a good idea would just perhaps be an internal selection with just a good singer - I dont care how famous - they can even be an Z lister, just somebody who can sing and will have a good song. As much as I love ballads, I dont think we should go for this safe option - we should send a modern pop song. Just please not cheesy or 80's style! Artists perhaps who would consider it are Dido, Jo O'Meara, Olly Murs etc. Or perhaps perhaps an ex-Eurovision artist from another country who has been successful - Dima, Paula Seling, Yohanna etc. Or finally a big artist from the US who perhaps doesnt know about the cheesiness factor of Eurovision and would do it, or that they just dont care. SCISSOR SISTERS PLEASE!!! Maybe perhaps Beyonce, Britney Spears... ahh I have gone in dreamworld again :lol::lol::lol:.

So my answer for 2011 is SCISSOR SISTERS!!!

MrJadeEwen
30th August 2010, 04:03
Olly Murs new song would be a good one :D Still i think Alexandra Burke, Jade Ewen (AGAIN!), Cheryl Cole, Leona Lewis would be good. JLS would be awesome think a song like Everybody in Love or One Shot would do well :D

MyHeartIsYours
30th August 2010, 04:05
NOOOOOOOOOOO PLEASEEEEEEEEEE NOT JLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

MrJadeEwen
30th August 2010, 04:07
Everybody In Love is an amazing song anyway, performed by Sugababes instead?

MyHeartIsYours
30th August 2010, 04:15
Nooo I hate all their songs! :lol:

For me, Scissor Sisters 'Fire With Fire' is the perfect Eurovision song. Obviously it couldnt be entered but Im sure they could make a similar sounding song ;).

MrJadeEwen
30th August 2010, 21:11
on that kinda thing i would LOVE "The Silence" By Alexandra Burke :) Goosebumps everytime and is better than It's My Time ballad wise ;) and an awesome key change. Hope for a similar song to that :P

Schlagerman1
31st August 2010, 00:05
Nooo I hate all their songs! :lol:

For me, Scissor Sisters 'Fire With Fire' is the perfect Eurovision song. Obviously it couldnt be entered but Im sure they could make a similar sounding song ;).

If Scissor Sisters would get crazy and compete in ESC for the UK, they need better be quick and find the happy songs again, cause IMO is "Fire With Fire" one of the most dull songs of the year! :P

Luke
31st August 2010, 12:04
This thread is hilarious to read

panakos
31st August 2010, 20:09
Adam Rickitt maybe? :lol:

AlekS
31st August 2010, 20:10
^ :lol:

MrJadeEwen
4th September 2010, 17:54
Adam should go (Forum adam i mean ;) )

Schlagerman1
4th September 2010, 19:27
What Adam? Me? :o

MyHeartIsYours
4th September 2010, 21:10
Martin means moi! :twisted:

Martin you know what a terrible singer I am so you're obviously fancying nil points for UK next year!!! :lol: :lol:
I still think you should go for it coz you have a lovely voice! :D

Israeliboy
4th September 2010, 22:09
I wanna Shayne Ward PLEASE!!!

MrJadeEwen
11th September 2010, 01:36
I still think you should go for it coz you have a lovely voice! :D

LOL bad idea, hows about a duet??

MyHeartIsYours
11th September 2010, 01:52
Yesssssssssss!!! Id love us to duet!!! :D An ESCToday duet! :lol:

MrJadeEwen
11th September 2010, 03:34
YCNY ADAM & MARTIN :) we'd so win (jedward style)

MyHeartIsYours
11th September 2010, 03:54
Defo!!! Cheesy pop please!!!!!!! :D :D :D

MrJadeEwen
11th September 2010, 14:47
yeah!!!

but on a more serious note didn't Simon Cowell mention last year he wanted a shot at producing a song, and considering he knows what works well i think he'd be a good decision (but perhaps too costly for BBC?)

MyHeartIsYours
11th September 2010, 14:56
Don't know... I always thought he hated Eurovision! :lol:

Karlicious
19th September 2010, 13:23
Pixie Lott!!!

kopachka
19th September 2010, 18:26
Leona Lewis!!!!!

MyHeartIsYours
19th September 2010, 18:31
I'll say it again... SCISSOR SISTERS!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

MrJadeEwen
20th September 2010, 03:46
BBC Criteria :

- X-Factor/Britain's Got Talent reject
- Not famous
- Never had a number one
- Not likely to win
- Charismatic & charming personality to get Brits watching
- Preferably starts their name with a J

:D

Karlicious
20th September 2010, 13:40
BBC Criteria :

- Not famous
- Never had a number one
- Not likely to win

Lol :D :D

MyHeartIsYours
20th September 2010, 18:16
BBC Criteria :

- Not famous
- Never had a number one
- Not likely to win

I bet that is the actual criteria! :lol:

PoppySnuggleGlass
27th September 2010, 03:23
BBC Criteria :

- Not famous
- Never had a number one
- Not likely to win

Charismatic & charming!? Oh no no no. The BBC's style is 'bland & forgettable.'

I loved Josh really... In a 'I want to mother him and take him home and make him tea' sort of way. Not for his singing though.

Everything else is pretty much spot on! ;)

MyHeartIsYours
27th September 2010, 13:23
Josh was charismatic and charming though ;).

PoppySnuggleGlass
27th September 2010, 18:53
Josh was charismatic and charming though ;).

I'll let you have charming... I guess he was, in his own Josh-like way... :p

The Chuckle Brothers for ESC 2011!

Nah, they're way too 'famous.'

MyHeartIsYours
27th September 2010, 19:46
Josh is soooo cute... defo one of my fave ESC participants ever! :mrgreen:

Hasnt one of them been arrested or something? :lol:

PoppySnuggleGlass
27th September 2010, 20:23
Josh is soooo cute... defo one of my fave ESC participants ever! :mrgreen:

Hasnt one of them been arrested or something? :lol:

I admit, Josh had a certain puppy-dog quality about him... I wouldn’t say no. Christ I feel like a dirty old woman, despite the fact that I’m not that much older than he is! :?

Nah, I don’t think one of them has been arrested, I do know that there was a death hoax surrounding Barry or something... I did find this curious piece of info on wiki though (yeah I'm sad):

In April 2007, while on holiday on the Greek island of Kefalonia, Paul broke his nose and received cuts and bruises when he lost control of his motorbike after suddenly braking to avoid a shepherd and his flock of goats. British tourists who stopped at the accident, instead of helping him out, shouted out the Chuckle Brothers' catchphrase: "To me, to you."

Oh dear oh dear....

MyHeartIsYours
27th September 2010, 21:36
Someone said at college that one of em was a pedophile but they must have been bullsh*tting as usual :lol:.

jimthewonderkid
30th September 2010, 00:30
I think Eliza Doolittle would be perfect for the UK Eurovision in 2011 because she is quirky & current. Also she the daughter of former 1994 UK Eurovision entry Frances Ruffelle, who apearred in Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals Les Miserables & Starlight Express. Can you see the connection !! ;)

The only problem is she said in a interview that she maybe not do the eurovision because it a bit cheesy but at least she didn't say definitely not !!

Anyway here is a article about why she should do the eurovision.

http://melodimen.blogspot.com/2010/08/wanted-for-eurovision-2011-eliza.html

So what are your thoughts ? Do you think she should be our UK entry next year ?

PoppySnuggleGlass
30th September 2010, 15:50
She’s not bad! Her style is not really my kind of thing, and the song posted on that site isn’t remarkably memorable or catchy, but I can see her potential for popularity among other people! (Yes, I like sitting on the fence).

She’s a bit similar to Lena, so if she is entered, people might start accusing the UK of getting on the Lena-success bandwagon. She’s a better dancer though. :twisted:

If she were entered, I can see her achieving a mid-table result.

Personally, I would like to see the UK enter a rockier song (something only Scandinavian countries and Turkey seem to be doing these days), as the UK has produced some of the world's leading rock and Indie bands, but, unfortunately, I can’t see this happening anytime soon. Plus, I think I’m pretty much alone on this one. :lol:

Sean
30th September 2010, 16:10
Eliza already said she wouldn't do Eurovision. I thought she was quirky at first with her song Skinny Genes but she kinda got too repetetive with Pack Up always being played :/

jimthewonderkid
1st October 2010, 01:17
How about somebody like McFly or James Bourne & Matt Willis from Busted because they are back working together on song for Busted.

Also it seems like Tom & Dougie from Mcfly & James from Busted are intrested when it came down to last year UK eurovision entry

Here is a article about what they said on Twitter about are UK Eurovision last year.

http://www.fleckingrecords.co.uk/2010/05/mcflys-tom-fletcher-doesnt-think-much-of-eurovisions-josh-dubovie.html

What do you think ? Would you be happy to see them be the UK eurovision entry & do you you think they would do it ?

MyHeartIsYours
1st October 2010, 01:24
I would absolutely love McFly to represent us! I really love some of their songs and I think they would do well at Eurovision. Also, as they are current and modern, I think they would raise the profile of Eurovision in the United Kingdom :mrgreen:.
Not sure about a reformed Busted though... they are a bit out-dated now lol.

Israeliboy
2nd October 2010, 15:45
SHAYNE WARD!!!

jimthewonderkid
2nd October 2010, 16:30
SHAYNE WARD!!!

Hey Israeliboy

You never know, you wish might come true because I found this article about Shayne Ward working with Gary Barlow for Eurovision 2008 !!

http://eurovisionexpress.blogspot.com/2007/12/shayne-ward-for-uk-in-2008.html

I tell what if it ever come true, then I have a feeling we would do very well & maybe even win it !!

So what your thoughts ? Do you think it would happen & if it did where would we finish ?

Israeliboy
2nd October 2010, 16:56
I think Shayne Ward will do very well as Jade did in 2009. I think it can happen, cause Shayne Ward has somewhere "Eurovision formula". I have his 2 cd's (my friend from UK sent it to me by mail ), He is very good singer and I would really like to see him in ESC. He is great live performer with amazing voice. No doubt, SHAYBE WARD FOR EUROVISION!!!

MrJadeEwen
3rd October 2010, 15:35
Well there is almost no chance for a month selection like Jade had as the BBC have "So You Think You Can Dance?" on again even though it flopped last year :/

A-lister
3rd October 2010, 15:51
Yay! Shayne Ward with a song written by Barlow, that could be a winning formula.

No use for some Idol-ish selection crap...

Bring on a good song and a good singer finally!

jimthewonderkid
3rd October 2010, 18:09
Yay! Shayne Ward with a song written by Barlow, that could be a winning formula.

No use for some Idol-ish selection crap...

Bring on a good song and a good singer finally!

Lets hope the BBC make it happen because if they use the same system as last year to find are UK entry, then I think we should protest outside the BBC studio !!

We could always have this band represt the UK because it camp & very cheesy. Plus the lead singer said he want to do the Eurovision !! The band is called Starman & the lead singer is Andrew Stone from Pineapple dance studio.

Here the band on a UK TV Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIHgSF6uId8

Also here is a music video from them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih8B5-1l_tY&feature=related

What do you think ? Would you like them to have them as your UK eurovision entry or would you be embarrassed ? Also where do you think we would finish in the eurovision with them ?

A-lister
4th October 2010, 16:19
^

Thank you but no thanks haha.

The song was ok-ish, but campy acts ain't doin it for me and usually doesn't work in ESC either.

What's so hard with just having a serious act with a current-sounding song?

Everyone is praising Jade, but that song was sooo old-fashion and Disney-ish. I liked the singer though. But it would be good with both a good singer AND a good contemporary song for the UK finally.

I mean we all know you CAN do it if you really would want to.

jimthewonderkid
9th October 2010, 17:33
I do agree we do have good acts & good songwriters in the UK but I think it might be down to the BBC on forgetting what the general public want & I think we need it to be less cheesy like you said.

If I had my way I would have The Tings Tings as are UK Eurovision act because if you watch this video, they are everyting Eurovision should have, which is catchy songs, camp but not cheesy camp (i.e Scooch was cheesy camp ), represent the UK music scene very well & is cutting edge which the UK NEEDS !!

Anyway here is the video !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVbtBLZxL6w

So what does everybody think of the band ?? Do you think they are right for the eurovision ?

MyHeartIsYours
10th October 2010, 02:27
The Ting Tings are brilliant imo but I dont really want anybody famous the do Eurovision for us... I want X Factor style so badly :cry:.

A-lister
12th October 2010, 14:05
The Ting Tings are brilliant imo but I dont really want anybody famous the do Eurovision for us... I want X Factor style so badly :cry:.

The Ting Tings would be AMAZING !! Luv em

Why you'd choose some lame X-factor stuff over that!? :?

MyHeartIsYours
12th October 2010, 19:56
Cuz we would have a huge, exciting National Final and it would increase popularity in the UK for Eurovision ;).

A-lister
13th October 2010, 00:23
Cuz we would have a huge, exciting National Final and it would increase popularity in the UK for Eurovision ;).

I see where you're going, but wouldn't a good entry for a change be of first priority for the UK?

Also, even the "Jade" selection wasn't that popular or was it? And that time around you got a good singer, that's true... but although you had a big songwriting name onboard, the song itself sounded like a Disney movie reject.

The most important thing for the UK now is to come up with a cool and current song, that's where the focus should be. A good singer is fair enough, but this is a song contest afterall.

MyHeartIsYours
13th October 2010, 01:24
The YCNY selection for 2009 was a very cheap, watered down version of The X Factor. Im on about the full monty ;). Sexy Eurovision judges, auditions around the country, boot camp all taking place over 20 weeks rather than 5 :). Imo it is more important to raise the profile of Eurovision in the United Kingdom and get people taking it more seriously, then the great entries will come in the process ;).
Aaaaand who's to say that we cant send a great song from an X Factor style National Final ;) ;).

A-lister
13th October 2010, 14:37
The YCNY selection for 2009 was a very cheap, watered down version of The X Factor. Im on about the full monty ;). Sexy Eurovision judges, auditions around the country, boot camp all taking place over 20 weeks rather than 5 :). Imo it is more important to raise the profile of Eurovision in the United Kingdom and get people taking it more seriously, then the great entries will come in the process ;).
Aaaaand who's to say that we cant send a great song from an X Factor style National Final ;) ;).

Well so far that kind of system didn't bring you any good entry.

I get your point, but to make that really work in the UK you'd really need to make the actual winner from X-factor (or one of the top competitors) the entry for the UK, if not I doubt there would be any major difference from the YCNY selection.

MyHeartIsYours
17th October 2010, 19:09
Joe McElderry - Ambitions!!!!!!!!

MrJadeEwen
17th October 2010, 23:16
No No & No.. that song must be ridiculous live as it sounds like he is struggling with the studio vocals

MyHeartIsYours
17th October 2010, 23:54
You not listened to him as special guest on The X Factor last week then I guess Mr Smith ;).

Tribeca
19th October 2010, 18:07
THE SATURDAYS!!! Seriously, I'd vote like crazy if you sent them, that would be so awesome! :D

I've heard Mika might do something for UK in Eurovision next year though, that would be cool... but I still want The Saturdays to represent UK or Ireland!!!

Otherwise they should send something that sounds very typically British... don't have any examples, but I'm sure you know what I mean... and NO super songwriter!!! It just sounds bad when they try to do Eurovision!

But yeah... The Saturdays should represent UK :geek:

MyHeartIsYours
19th October 2010, 19:32
How about Diana Vickers - My Wicked Heart? I reckon it'd win ;) :mrgreen:.

Sean
19th October 2010, 20:54
How about Diana Vickers - My Wicked Heart? I reckon it'd win ;) :mrgreen:.

This? :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnOsAI_XuLs

MrJadeEwen
19th October 2010, 21:54
lol she is terrible. why not pick someone who HASN'T gone through X-factor, but would be willing to do it.. Alesha Dixon for example =]

MyHeartIsYours
19th October 2010, 22:25
This? :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnOsAI_XuLs

Yea... so long as she sings it as she sounds recorded! :lol:

Luke
19th October 2010, 22:42
Jesus christ your ideas are waay out of reach :P

MrJadeEwen
20th October 2010, 01:34
Let's be rational now guys, the BBC have to cut money and bosses due to Money Problems... this means the Eurovision fund will be LOWER than usual :/ we may not get an NF or if we do it could be on radio 1/radio 2 or perhaps a one off on Graham's New Chat Show :/ The selection will be same old i reckon, YCNY (well after David Cameron they may not be using this phrase). The Songwriter will be someone who will not get much money i.e. someone awful.. unless the BBC act fast for money (they are buying out S4C for some advert cash but need more). The selection will be around the same standard as 2008..... i.e. rubbish

MyHeartIsYours
20th October 2010, 02:43
Id rather the BBC just have an internal selection if they are stuck for money, so long as they choose a good singer and good song!

Karlicious
20th October 2010, 10:34
You have such potential. Brit pop is the best music in the world.
I'd like to see Pixie Lott, Little Boots, The Saturdays. Cheryl, Alexandra Burke...

MyHeartIsYours
20th October 2010, 15:10
We have less potential than ever though now with the BBC cuts...

A-lister
20th October 2010, 16:41
So who would actually consider taking part? Realistically?

I think Alesha Dixon might consider?

I mean we all want Amy, Lily Allen, Cheryl Cole etc. etc. but it just won't happen.

So who? Sugababes maybe? Their career is far from what it has been, on the other hand taking part in Eurovision for many acts in the UK is considered the absolute last resort to save whatever career you've got and then it's officially over lol.

Tribeca
21st October 2010, 00:14
You have such potential. Brit pop is the best music in the world.
I'd like to see Pixie Lott, Little Boots, The Saturdays. Cheryl, Alexandra Burke...

Ohh any of those would be really cool! Haven't heard Little Boots, though :p

A-lister
21st October 2010, 00:18
Ohh any of those would be really cool! Haven't heard Little Boots, though :p

Yeah Little Boots is really good!

And La Roux..

but how big would the chances be? Like ZERO

MrJadeEwen
23rd October 2010, 02:58
uhm of those mentioned, Alesha would probably consider if the BBC gave her a good enough song, everyone else i highly doubt would even give it a look in

MyHeartIsYours
24th October 2010, 03:20
I have a feeling we will go for a joke entry... it will be nice to have a bit of fun though :mrgreen: :lol:.

jimthewonderkid
24th October 2010, 04:39
I would love someone famous like Ting Tings, Little boots, La Roux ( Even though I don't like her ) or Alesha but honestly the cost to hire them would be too much on the BBC tight budget !!

So are only hope is to find a unknown talented singer/band to get europe voting for us !! Trust me there are groups or singers out there but I think the BBC are still stuck in the past & haven't seen what the UK have right now in present for the eurovision !!

Anyway I have found a band who are unknown, talented, quirky & represent modern day music. There band is called Billy No Fear. There kind of like The Ting Tings & they want to represent the UK for the Eurovision !! Also they can speak & sing french ( Hello points from France !! ).

Anyway here is one of there YouTube Video's with them singing in french !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr869gU4r3Q&feature=related

So what do you think of this group ? Do you think the way forward for are country is to go with a talented unknown band/singer for the Eurovision or to go with a well known singer or band ?

MrJadeEwen
29th October 2010, 00:32
We need a modern power ballad such as this song:
(not sure but this may be UK & Ireland only)
p6A-DEBfwDk&ob=av2n

MyHeartIsYours
29th October 2010, 20:04
I think we may as well give up on having a famous artist this year. Out of the cheap options I would like Making Your Mind Up in 2007 style as I think that it had the highest quality of songs we have had in a National Final for a long time but as we know 2007 was the most corrupt voting ever at Eurovision =/.
Also the voting system for MYMU that year was great + exciting! :mrgreen:

evilperson
29th October 2010, 21:37
Yup I liked a few of the songs in the 2007 NF but somehow the UK managed to pick the most dreadful one. It actually deserved to end up last in ESC rather than Ireland.

MyHeartIsYours
29th October 2010, 22:15
Yup I liked a few of the songs in the 2007 NF but somehow the UK managed to pick the most dreadful one. It actually deserved to end up last in ESC rather than Ireland.

I dont get how people can hate Scooch... it was very fun and a great song!!

evilperson
29th October 2010, 22:20
It was fun...I'll give it that, but a great song.....no way! It's like someone barfed up the last shreds of 90s bubblegum eurotrash. Not to mention that it also has zero appeal to a wider audience outside of its own country. In a way it was like the Dustin the Turkey of the UK.

MyHeartIsYours
29th October 2010, 22:36
I dont think it's fair that in a contest that is supposed to share cultures, the UK has to send something to appeal to Europe (especially when they send songs such as Laka and Verka which are even more gimmicky...).

evilperson
29th October 2010, 22:50
Sometimes gimmicks work though and sometimes they fall flat on their faces.

MyHeartIsYours
29th October 2010, 22:57
Agree... there is a sort of a coincidence about which countries they originate from though on determining whether they fail or succeed however ;).

Successes:
Bosnia and Herzegovina 2008, Ukraine 2007, Bulgaria 2007, Russia 2010, Greece 2010.
Failures:
United Kingdom 2007, France 2007, Ireland 2008, Germany 2009, Spain 2008.

evilperson
29th October 2010, 23:33
I guess Western countries should take the hint then! :lol:

MrJadeEwen
30th October 2010, 00:01
On the subject of 2007, Cyndi would've been AWESOME :/ shame she never got the chance to represent

Tribeca
30th October 2010, 00:45
I don't get that... in Sweden, our biggest singers always want to be in Eurovision, it's the biggest music event here, why isn't it like that in the UK and the other countries? Why do you always have to find a new singer? I mean over 120 million people is watching every year, it's not like a bad thing to be in it :P

And... about all these joke entries... HATE THEM! Cause I take the contest seriously... yeah... haha :)

AlekS
30th October 2010, 00:56
In marketing language, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries.

I can't call Russia 2010 success o___0 :lol: it's a mediocre result, the song which appealed to ex-USSR older generation.
BiH 2008 - same story with Russia 2010 - can't call it success. For me the top 5 is success, maybe 6th - 7th places... but not 10th or 11th.
Western gimmick songs looked poor... I couldn't understand Dustin because of his horrible accent and diction, the show on stage was as far from harmony & taste as possible, it hurt my eyes; Germany 2009 - I can't call it gimmick, rather typical ESC disaster, something which started as a decent dance tune and ended as a nightmare. Spain 2008 ... it was creepy and his charisma rather disgusted than attracted people + maybe he would had more chances in a different year, not after Verka ;) Verka was popular all over the Europe and it charted on the West, South, North and East :lol: in 2008 NFs people wanted to repeat that success ... lol, wrong thing because everyone compared all 2008 gimmick entries to Verka, I remember that time very well :lol:
Greece 2010 - not gimmick. More ordinary than outstanding, imo.
Bulgaria 2007 - gimmick mainly because of vocals. I had a really lite association with Ruslana. But this trend stayed in the past and it totally differed from all Western entries you mentioned above, Adam ;)

Send not something that looks like an excerpt from a bad comedy show but something good, really unusual, something which doesn't appeal to 1 or 2 geographical areas - Verka would be a perfect example (yes, we benefited from sending THE most popular performer which sold 15 mil. copies of 2 albums in Ukraine and Russia :lol: but United Kingdom gave us 8... the country with one of the lowest Ukrainian diasporas in Europe, btw). Conquer our markets with your ESC entries, please. Be more open to us :) We voted for Jade, we voted for Patricia, we voted for Lena... I talk about televoters.

I'll draw an analogy with our fave show :D X-Factor... you've been sending something like Wagner and you received what you deserved. Send something like Cher and you'll approach Ani Lorak's result. Send something unique and you'll approach Verka's result. Send something which can influence people and make a revolution in the world. Australia chose Ani Lorak in 2008, Verka influenced French fashion designers and Jean Paul Gaultier, the song charted in the Britrish chart ... I mean Ukrainian song in the British chart, it's like music from Vietnam charting in Japanese charts :lol: Do something impossible, prepare for the main ESC performance.
Comapring good and bad Western entries for me is like comapring X-Factor stage and concert place in Zimbabwe. Jade, Patricia Kaas, Tom Dice... Dustin, Rodolfo )))
As I've said not all "our" gimmick entries worked... look at Loboda, for instance. We do the same mistakes too.
So ... like Victor said, Western countries should take the hint. The BBC too. I hope their 2010 approach won't come back in 2011.

MyHeartIsYours
30th October 2010, 01:14
I don't get that... in Sweden, our biggest singers always want to be in Eurovision, it's the biggest music event here, why isn't it like that in the UK and the other countries? Why do you always have to find a new singer? I mean over 120 million people is watching every year, it's not like a bad thing to be in it :P

And... about all these joke entries... HATE THEM! Cause I take the contest seriously... yeah... haha :)

Eurovision in the United Kingdom is classed as a bit of cheese and fun really and any already known artists would loose a lot of credibility if they took part. It is such a shame really because during the 2009 season, Eurovision gained masses of popularity here and people took it quite seriously but unfortunately with the dated song we sent this year thanks to Pete Waterman, everybody knew we were going to fail and Eurovision reputation dropped back again to a cheese-fest of sh*t :(.

MrJadeEwen
30th October 2010, 01:14
the reason major artists won't do eurovision, is they can chart in countries without it, Cheryl Cole for example, fight for this love didn't need eurovision, it would waste 4 months of money and time on one 3 minute performance if she got beaten then she wouldn't get the number 1 and people here would hate her :s it's harsh but true, we need less famous celebs i.e. alesha or talent shows, or unknown talent

MyHeartIsYours
30th October 2010, 01:15
2007 and 2009 I think were the most popular years in the United Kingdom - with Scooch, I think a lot of people genuinely thought we were going to win (incl. me ;)) and they also achieved the best charting Eurovision song in the UK for many, many years (#5 and then #1 in the CD only charts). There was a lot of anger among the media when we failed as everybody who cares about ESC was genuinely disappointed (I was gutted :p) and political voting was blamed which I think was more prominent than ever that year. Added to this the winner wasnt very popular at all here.
With Jade, people got interested as soon as ALW was announced as composer and YCNY was quite popular with it being a multi-week show. People also believed we were going to win and we were one of the bookies favourites. Moscow's hosting was also brilliant and the song quality was the best in years so then once again when the results came in, although 5th is good, it wasnt what we were looking for ;).

These 2 disappointments have made people here believe that it is impossible for us to win it and coupled with a dated song written by a dated songwriter this year mean that Eurovision reputation is lower than ever really.

MyHeartIsYours
30th October 2010, 01:34
So ... like Victor said, Western countries should take the hint. The BBC too. I hope their 2010 approach won't come back in 2011.

I still dont see why the UK should be sending songs to suit other people. It is supposed to be a contest of sharing cultures - we have to listen to Balkan music which is hard on our ears so I expect others to listen to our bubble-gum pop.
It is my view that we should send a song that we like even if it fails at Eurovision as I think being proud of your entry is more important than winning the contest.
I find it sad and confusing that some people class mental-institute escapees who run around the stage randomly screaming with a washing line as good and fun and then yet airline stewards who actually sing properly and act like normal people as crap and not funny =/.

AlekS
30th October 2010, 01:47
^ nobody forces you to send something else so relax =/
I find it sad that you want to send crap, lay crap at others and blame them in all deadly sins except blaming your own broadcaster and your own performers.
If you don't care about other people (including me then) then no need in expecting something and no need in discussing people's taste in such tone.

What I meant is that there are numerous incredible British entries and the BBC can change their approach.

MyHeartIsYours
30th October 2010, 01:49
^ nobody forces you to sing something else so relax =/
I find it sad that you want to send crap, lay crap at others and blame them in all deadly sins except blaming your own broadcaster and your own performers.
If you don't care about other people (including me then) then no need in expecting something.

I dont say that... I say that people need to learn our style of music rather than us send a style which isnt ours ;).

AlekS
30th October 2010, 01:52
^ no prob, send the same cheesy stuff every damn year.

British music is incredibly diverse, much more diverse than what you send recently (you have much better performers of that genre). And by the way. I didn't demand you to send something which isn't yours ;)

MrJadeEwen
30th October 2010, 01:54
uhm adam i hope you aren't suggesting scooch should've been top 5? you just said yourself that we can send our own bubble-gum pop even if we are proud of it and don't get top 10. Laka is popular and got top 10 because of that, the countries who relate to bubblegum pop gave us high marks too (as there are only two of them) so you can't be confused as you just answered your own point :P

but bubblegum pop was the UK music of the late 80s early 90s.. the BBC said themselves that this year eurovision has got more modern, and they need to modernise their entry.

AlekS
30th October 2010, 01:54
^ exactly.

MyHeartIsYours
30th October 2010, 01:55
^ no prob, send the same cheesy crap every damn year.

British music is incredibly diverse, much more diverse than what you send recently. And by the way. I didn't demand you to send something which isn't yours ;)

Aleks I didnt say you did. I was just stating what I believe ;).

AlekS
30th October 2010, 01:58
^ then why did you quote my post ;) Please, state it somewhere else, not in a quote addressed to me because I didn't say that. Thanks :|

MyHeartIsYours
uhm adam i hope you aren't suggesting scooch should've been top 5? you just said yourself that we can send our own bubble-gum pop even if we are proud of it and don't get top 10. Laka is popular and got top 10 because of that, the countries who relate to bubblegum pop gave us high marks too (as there are only two of them) so you can't be confused as you just answered your own point :P

but bubblegum pop was the UK music of the late 80s early 90s.. the BBC said themselves that this year eurovision has got more modern, and they need to modernise their entry.

If Verka could come 2nd and Laka could come 10th then I dont see why they shouldnt?
Anyway Im not discussing this anyway coz Im clearly not allowed to have my own opinion... :|

MrJadeEwen
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10192518 here was the article about the need to modernise their entry as germany had done, there was a clearer one but i cannot find that one

AlekS
30th October 2010, 02:00
Anyway Im not discussing this anyway coz Im clearly not allowed to have my own opinion... :|
and this is based on... :confused:

MrJadeEwen
30th October 2010, 02:00
it's nothing about slating your opinion it's just the difference on how they were portrayed

Laka appealed to almost all of the eastern countries
Verka appealed to every country
Scooch appealed to british humour (UK, Ireland & Malta)

and the votes reflected so :/ it's not that your opinions wrong at all, just the facts speak for themselves

MyHeartIsYours
30th October 2010, 02:02

Exactly my point...

MyHeartIsYours
30th October 2010, 02:03
and this is based on... :confused:

Based on the fact that everyone is saying that Im wrong...

MrJadeEwen
then why did you say you don't understand how they got the places they did?

AlekS
it's nothing about slating your opinion it's just the difference on how they were portrayed

and the votes reflected so :/ it's not that your opinions wrong at all, just the facts speak for themselves
Once again .... exactly! :)

MyHeartIsYours
30th October 2010, 02:05
then why did you say you don't understand how they got the places they did?

I understand why! I said that I dont think changing our style is acceptable because other people dont like it.

MrJadeEwen
30th October 2010, 02:08
then we will lose more interest and withdraw :/ we need to modernise, the BBC said it themselves and after seeing that they could've had Katie Melua last year there is obviously a few artists willing to take part so it's not all doom and gloom :P and to be fair to scooch they weren't bottom and drawn after verka any slight chance of points were taken away but we need to move on from it :P

MyHeartIsYours
8th November 2010, 02:59
Shayne Ward!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

sstolp
14th November 2010, 15:03
The thing I wish with the BBC is that they stop focussing on finding a singer on their shows. ESC started out as a songwriters contest. How about announcing which singer/group is going to represent the UK and then call for song writers to write the song. A panel of music execs can narrow the entries to maybe 6, then hand the songs to professional producers to make the most of them, THEN have the public choose the song.

Also...it would be nice if the BBC could start planning early on (or at the very least give us some details of what they are doing). Seeing the advert for So You Think You Can Dance last night brings back memories of last year when nothing happened until that show finished as it had the same producers as Your Country Needs You.

A-lister
14th November 2010, 16:50
First and foremost UK needs a good entry finally, and a good enough act to perform the entry. The act though doesn't necessarily have to be famous though, although it could help a bit.

The UK needs to get down from their high horses and stop blaming Europe (especially Eastern) for their losses in ESC. Sending some C-act with some C-act song is only BBC's fault and no one elses.

Someone wrote that the UK send what represents UK and that it's Europe's fault not getting it? Well I have to disagree; UK music scene is defenetly not just has-been generic camp disco or ballads.

UK think they are too good for ESC and therefor doesn't feel the need to send something good, but then expect the results.

It's pretty simple; countries viewing ESC as crap sends crap aswell.

Mickey
14th November 2010, 18:38
The thing I wish with the BBC is that they stop focussing on finding a singer on their shows. ESC started out as a songwriters contest. How about announcing which singer/group is going to represent the UK and then call for song writers to write the song. A panel of music execs can narrow the entries to maybe 6, then hand the songs to professional producers to make the most of them, THEN have the public choose the song.

Also...it would be nice if the BBC could start planning early on (or at the very least give us some details of what they are doing). Seeing the advert for So You Think You Can Dance last night brings back memories of last year when nothing happened until that show finished as it had the same producers as Your Country Needs You.

That's exactly the sort of system I'd advocate. Getting someone decent to be the act could be the hard bit, though.

It's all academic, as it's probably too late to organise something like that now.

sstolp
16th November 2010, 01:37
That's exactly the sort of system I'd advocate. Getting someone decent to be the act could be the hard bit, though.

It's all academic, as it's probably too late to organise something like that now.

I know...there are so many fantastic singers in the UK who would jump at the chance if the BBC asked them (not necessarily recording artists, but also backing singers, west end actors, etc....just anyone with a bit of stage presence who has a proven track record singing live)

The BBC could then do a series of shows hunting for a songwriter and the subsequent production of the written songs. If the youth of Britain saw what goes into writing a great song perhaps they would learn it's not all about finding instant fame by singing.

PoppySnuggleGlass
16th November 2010, 23:55
Someone wrote that the UK send what represents UK and that it's Europe's fault not getting it? Well I have to disagree; UK music scene is defenetly not just has-been generic camp disco or ballads.

UK think they are too good for ESC and therefor doesn't feel the need to send something good, but then expect the results.

It's pretty simple; countries viewing ESC as crap sends crap aswell.

This sums it up well.

In previous years, when entries were decided via public vote, rubbish usually prevailed. It’s important to remember that many of those who vote aren’t necessarily ESC fans, that is to say, (much akin to those on the forum), those who take an active interest in the contest itself as opposed to those who just tune in on the night ‘for the lols.’ Changing British perception of the ESC is going to be an arduous task, as I get the impression that a large proportion (and to some degree, myself) view the contest as a bit of kitsch drabble.

In my household, I was brought up to consider ESC as a comedy event. Indeed, a part of what makes ESC entertaining for me, are the ‘bad’ and OTT entries. It appeals to my immature and somewhat ‘self deprecating’ side. I watch badly dubbed kung fu movies for the same reason; it’s escapism from the polished maturity of high brow cinema. I have to admit, when I watch ESC I don’t want to see a contest full of flawless, ‘chart topping’ hits. I at least want to witness something that appeals to my childish and moronic side (be it Alf Poier, Elnur & Samir, Ich Troje...)

Irrespective of my ‘amusement’ towards the train wreck entries of the past, I would for once, like the UK to enter something that has a fighting chance of winning for a change (although we all secretly hope the ueber manure ones might get lucky). I hated our song in 2009, but I felt that in terms of attitude towards the ESC, it was a positive step forward by both the BBC and the British public. Unfortunately the momentum generated from 2009 was not continued into 2010, but this was mainly due to a dire choice of song writer and execution (poor Josh simply had to ‘make do,’ which is why I never blamed him personally for the UK’s poor placement).

The BBC must receive a few tapes from prospective entries (i.e. independent artists who would kill to be on ESC). I think it’s about time the BBC spent more time planning for future ESC entries, sourcing good entries from an extensive pool of UK talent before the Christmas period. In my opinion its often left too late, resulting in rushed, botched entries (2010).

The public will always get to make the final decision, be it choosing artist, song or both. The only thing is, given a choice between 1) a grown man dressed in a nappie singing baa baa black sheep backwards like a mongoose on helium and 2) Celine Dion (okay, maybe not the best example) the British public could vote for either... :?

A-lister
17th November 2010, 17:16
^

You're right. A big problem is the UK's audience perception of what they think Eurovision is (or should be). But BBC is a part of the problem since they buy into that view.

We partly have the same problem here in Sweden, but MF still has status though, but the perception the public has of ESC is a problem. I think this goes for many of the "old" Eurovision countries actually.

The newer ones have a whole different view on the contest and therefor they take it more serious. To some extent you can blame diaspora and bloc voting for unfair results, but doesn't change the fact that western countries in general send worse entries because they have a worse view on Eurovision.

Matt
17th November 2010, 18:03
I remember 2007 when it came down to Scooch and cyndi (who had a really good power ballad) and the viewers chose Scooch over her. That just pretty much summed up the attitude of the british viewers which is a shame. I know that was in 2007 but I don't think the overall attitude has changed a whole lot.
The U.K. definately has the funds to come up with a nice NF which is what they need.
If the U.K. can score well again with a more 'sophisticated' song I believe the public will respond to that and a positive way and could improve the contest's reputation. But after 2010's disaster my expectations are really low for next year.

MyHeartIsYours
18th November 2010, 10:02
The British people see acts like Austria 2003, Ukraine 2007, Bosnia and Herzegovina 2008, Russia 2010 and Im sorry but Serbia 2007 and think that we may as well send similar low class songs. Apart from the week following Eurovision, nobody really cares if we come last or do badly as it is seen as the contest of cheese and camp.
And there arent any funds this year, the BBC have their budget frozen for several years and there is just no money spare. Apart from not being able to afford a big National Final, the BBC could in no way pay to host the contest if we won, nor could they justify using taxpayers money when half a million people are loosing their jobs.

A-lister
18th November 2010, 14:19
The British people see acts like Austria 2003, Ukraine 2007, Bosnia and Herzegovina 2008, Russia 2010 and Im sorry but Serbia 2007 and think that we may as well send similar low class songs. Apart from the week following Eurovision, nobody really cares if we come last or do badly as it is seen as the contest of cheese and camp.
And there arent any funds this year, the BBC have their budget frozen for several years and there is just no money spare. Apart from not being able to afford a big National Final, the BBC could in no way pay to host the contest if we won, nor could they justify using taxpayers money when half a million people are loosing their jobs.

If BBC and the UK public only sees ESC as one big joke and to add it has a small following, then why even taking part then?

MyHeartIsYours
18th November 2010, 14:42
To have a bit of fun??

A-lister
18th November 2010, 15:04
To have a bit of fun??

It's different to have fun and just laugh at something. I think most broadcasters in one way or another is in this to have "fun", in the end of the day it's an entertainment show.

Matt
18th November 2010, 15:09

That pretty much says it all. I hope that we'll be able to convince the british public one day that ESC is more than a joke contest. Until then I have low to 0 expectations.