PDA

View Full Version : English Thread :)

15th April 2010, 00:16
I think most of the people in this forum aren't native English speakers. I'm not as well :) Sometimes i can be confused about English grammer, the words. I thought there could be people like me and decided to open this thread :mrgreen:

We can help each other regarding English here. Especially if native speakers help us, it would be very nice.

By the way, did i use "regarding" in a correct way? :? :D

Etl
16th April 2010, 09:42
You spelled "grammar" in a wrong way for sure.

16th April 2010, 09:54
Oh yes :oops: but of course i didn't mean correcting little spelling mistakes when i said we could help each other :)

16th April 2010, 09:58
By the way can anyone tell me what is the difference between "i am used to" and "i used to"?

When i want to tell an old habit of mine, which one should i use?

94ayd
16th April 2010, 10:16
I used to do something... is what you need. I'm used to means you've adapted to something and now it's no problem for you. Example: I'm used to sleeping less than 5 hours a night.

Alexu
16th April 2010, 12:17
"I am used to" : describes an action that was, difficult and is now easy.
Example: I'm finally used to using this new software.

"I used to" : describes an action that did happen, but doesn't happen now.
Example: I used to drink a lot of coffee. Means that, in the past I drank a lot of coffee, but now I don't.

16th April 2010, 18:58
I got it :D Thanks a lot, Andrea and Alex :)

merve1886
15th May 2010, 20:45
Asiye, your English is really good, what's your level and how did you learn it?

American accent or British accent? Which one do you think sounds better? I prefer American accent is sounds warmer to me:)

BulleDeChagrin
15th May 2010, 22:40
American accent sounds warmer, indeed, as long as it's not too nasal, then it gets atrocious, I think...
In terms of beauty, I think the British accent sounds a lot more beautiful.
I speak with a British accent, but that's because my old school firmly insisted on using it instead of the American.

94ayd
15th May 2010, 22:49
I started off speaking more American but I seem too like British a lot more and am in process of transitioning. I can speak both ways but the American sounds too simple and bland to me, compared to the way Brits speak. ;)

merve1886
15th May 2010, 22:51
American accent sounds warmer, indeed, as long as it's not too nasal, then it gets atrocious, I think...
In terms of beauty, I think the British accent sounds a lot more beautiful.
I speak with a British accent, but that's because my old school firmly insisted on using it instead of the American.

I don't agree with the "atrocious" part. Maybe it's true for some American people's accent but not all of them. I don't know British accent just sounds so formal. I try to speak with an American accent and this is all my decision because I love American accent.

BulleDeChagrin
15th May 2010, 22:55
Well, that's why I added 'I think'. :mrgreen:
I know a lot of people prefer the American accent, but maybe it's because of the influence of school.
And you're certainly right about the British accent sounding formal, but I think it's beautiful :)

merve1886
15th May 2010, 23:04
Besides American accent is more international. For example the eurovision songs in English are generally in American accent, like fairytale. I think it has something to do with your English teachers, too.Mine is British,though :) . He really gets upsets when I talk to him about American accent sounding better(in my opinion of course ;) ).

15th May 2010, 23:04
Asiye, your English is really good, what's your level and how did you learn it?

American accent or British accent? Which one do you think sounds better? I prefer American accent is sounds warmer to me:)

Oh thanks :D Actually i don't know my level :roll: I learned English in highschool but haven't been having any English class for last 2 years so i can be confused sometimes(yes i opened this thread for myself :lol:)

I think American accent is more simple than the British one so it sounds warmer to me as well :) We hear American accent more often from TV maybe this is the another reason why it sounds warmer to us.

merve1886
15th May 2010, 23:10
It must be a very good high school, I don't think they teach English well in a normal high school in Turkey.

American accent is warmer to us that's a fact but there are a lot of reasons for it for example it's simple and you're right the movies and TV shows we watch are generally American originated so we hear American accent much more than British accent

15th May 2010, 23:23
It must be a very good high school, I don't think they teach English well in a normal high school in Turkey.

American accent is warmer to us that's a fact but there are a lot of reasons for it for example it's simple and you're right the movies and TV shows we watch are generally American originated so we hear American accent much more than British accent

Anadolu lisesi bitirdim. Haz?rl?k okudum. ?ansl?yd?m, çünkü ben girdikten hemen sonra haz?rl?k kalkt?. Kalkmamas? gerekiyodu bence çünkü di?er derslerle birlikte zor olur dil ö?renmek, herkes üniversite s?nav? derdinde do?al olarak. Bi de merakl?yd?m ?ngilizce'ye :)

Sorry, i had to write in Turkish because my English isn't enough to talk about Turkish education system :roll: It is completely mess.

merve1886
15th May 2010, 23:29

Anadolu lisesi bitirdim. Haz?rl?k okudum. ?ansl?yd?m, çünkü ben girdikten hemen sonra haz?rl?k kalkt?. Kalkmamas? gerekiyodu bence çünkü di?er derslerle birlikte zor olur dil ö?renmek, herkes üniversite s?nav? derdinde do?al olarak. Bi de merakl?yd?m ?ngilizce'ye :)

Sorry, i had to write in Turkish because Turkish education system is too complex to talk in English for me :roll:

Well, there are still prep classes in high schools but not in any high school. And you're right it's hard to learn English with other lessons so a year for english is a good system but a little interest in English is a must. I'm sure there are some people who took English classes for a year and still can't speak properly.

I answered you in English so that other people can get the main idea of what we're talking about. I hope it's OK.

BulleDeChagrin
15th May 2010, 23:33
In Flanders, the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium, every high school teaches 2 to 4 hours English a week from 2nd 'till 6th grade.

15th May 2010, 23:36
Sure :)

Yes, interest is the biggest must when you learn anything.

merve1886
15th May 2010, 23:39
In Flanders, the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium, every high school teaches 2 to 4 hours English a week from 2nd 'till 6th grade.
That sounds like a good system but I think a crammed system for Turkish people is better. I don't know about Belgians but it's easier for us if we learn it all in a short time like a year. That's just my opinion of course some other Turk can think it's wrong.

BulleDeChagrin
15th May 2010, 23:43
Well, both systems obviously have their pros and contras. :)
But here in Belgium, we're used to learning languages on a long-term basis: French is taught obligatory from age 10 'till the end of high school; German is taught in most schools too, and Spanish is starting to show up in a lot of schools too, though only in later years.

merve1886
15th May 2010, 23:47
Well, both systems obviously have their pros and contras. :)
But here in Belgium, we're used to learning languages on a long-term basis: French is taught obligatory from age 10 'till the end of high school; German is taught in most schools too, and Spanish is starting to show up in a lot of schools too, though only in later years.

Yes, it depends on who you're teaching I guess. There are some schools that teach French, German and Spanish but generally it's just English and German in Turkey.

Scooby
17th May 2010, 20:51
In Serbia and Bosnia english, german and french, in some schools russian and italian

PoppySnuggleGlass
2nd June 2010, 09:02
I really wish the British education system was more adept at teaching foreign languages. Most high schools force students to choose between French, German and Spanish around the age of 13/14, and even then, in some schools it isn’t obligatory. Plus, British schools don’t provide enough contact hours for the student to really develop their chosen language to an adequate standard.

It’s a shame really. I hope they reform the system soon and start teaching foreign languages from an earlier age. :(

MyHeartIsYours
2nd June 2010, 11:33
Yeh I can't speak any language other than English. :oops: :(

Milos-BC
2nd June 2010, 16:58
I speak & understand all ex-yu languages (except Slovenian :oops: I only understand some words there), Bulgarian, "Latin" ( :lol: ), Russian and English.

Isabella
2nd June 2010, 19:42
@Miloš you speak Russian :o cooool :mrgreen:

In my high school we had Japanese language, but I never chose it, and I regreted it. I also understand and speak all ex-Yu languages except Slovenian :lol:
In school I studied English, French, German and Latin, now in a foreign language school I'm learning Spanish and I love it. I also want to learn Italian, but I think I won't be able to :lol:

alca
2nd June 2010, 20:20
Yeah I always felt that people who don't have english as their mother tongue have an advantage. Coz you people from England, USA, Australia, Ireland and all the countries that the native language is english, speak only english. Because (almost) everyone speaks english makes you think like this: "OK they speak english why should I learn their language?".
I don't know but I think (and I don't think I'm the only one) that the more languages you speak the better.

And because I saw that you say what languages you are able to speak guys, here are mine. Greek (mother tongue), english, swedish and german. Well I should stop saying I speak german coz for the last 5 years I haven't practiced them at all. Plus, since I began learning swedish, every time I try to speak german, swedish comes to mind and I can't! :?

Anyway, now I want to learn spanish (oh I love this language), finnish and icelandic! :D
And then I will be mixing all the lagnuages together!! :lol: :lol:

Anjeza
2nd June 2010, 20:30
And then I will be mixing all the lagnuages together!! :lol: :lol:

That's what I'm already doing with my four languages :lol: I speak German, English, French and Spanish (poorly), I started learning Polish (but had to stop due to university stuff :| ) and I want to learn Swedish

94ayd
2nd June 2010, 20:40
You speak the four languages of the Big 4. :lol:

Anjeza
2nd June 2010, 20:49
You speak the four languages of the Big 4. :lol:

Yeah, because those were the only languages my high school offered to learn :lol:

94ayd
2nd June 2010, 20:56
Yay, another person that wants to know as many as possible. You've no idea how many I want to study. :lol: German is on that long list, too. :mrgreen:

ParadiseES
2nd June 2010, 21:02
In Spain we're taught in (bad) English from the age of 3. My generation started at the age of 8, though.
The second foreign language is in 80 % of cases French (started with 11 years old), but it can be German is some schools or areas like the islands where they have to learn German, cause most of tourists come from Germany.

So I can speak Spanish, English (not perfect, but oh well), French (average level) and I also learnt some Italian (I travelled there many times) and Portuguese (Brazilian ex-bf :P ), but I'm forgetting them. It sucks our system, a lot of years studying languages and we're not able to speak fluently none of them! :evil:

And I'm working hard on Greek by just myself and Greek music. At least I know the alphabet now, how to pronounce and I'm getting some meanings little by little :lol:

MyHeartIsYours
2nd June 2010, 21:06
Pablo your English is very good!! :D

ParadiseES
2nd June 2010, 21:10

I think this forum actually saved my (few) English, cause I'm not studying it anymore since I left the high school 3 years ago :lol:

alca
2nd June 2010, 21:40
And I'm working hard on Greek by just myself and Greek music. At least I know the alphabet now, how to pronounce and I'm getting some meanings little by little :lol:
I think it's easy for someone from Spain to learn greek. At least the accent won't be a problem. ;) And we have many words that are the same! I know a few words in spanish and I know how to read spanish! (Thank you Azucar Moreno! haha)

PoppySnuggleGlass
3rd June 2010, 01:20
Yeah I always felt that people who don't have english as their mother tongue have an advantage. Coz you people from England, USA, Australia, Ireland and all the countries that the native language is english, speak only english. Because (almost) everyone speaks english makes you think like this: "OK they speak english why should I learn their language?".
I don't know but I think (and I don't think I'm the only one) that the more languages you speak the better.

Ah, it’s not like we don’t want to learn, it’s just that we aren’t encouraged from an earlier age to do so, because in terms of the teaching foreign languages, the primary and secondary education systems are rubbish, and always assume that it isn’t important. :(

Those Brits who move to Spain with no intention of learning Spanish beforehand do annoy me though!

I did German as an A-level, but I wasn't particularly good at it. At the moment I've been trying to learn basic Mandarin, as it's always been my dream to travel around China. I can just about master simple commands and sentences and recognise certain characters. Maybe I'll go to Chinatown to try and brush up on it, whilst making a fool of myself. :lol:

MyHeartIsYours
3rd June 2010, 01:27
I did 2 hours of French a week for 3 years from 11 - 14yo and an hour of Spanish a week for 2 years from 12 -14yo.

I only been to Chinatown once :lol: I tend to stay near Market Street and Exchange Square. Might see you around! :D :lol:

PoppySnuggleGlass
3rd June 2010, 01:31
Haha, if you do, I’ll have to remember to high-five or ‘bro fist’ you. Just look out for the girl being chased by an angry Chinese mob because she accidentally said something offensive. :D

MyHeartIsYours
3rd June 2010, 01:33
Ok :lol: :lol:

I will help you if they are not too scary!! :lol:

alca
3rd June 2010, 09:50
Haha guys you are so funny! :D (in a good way of course! ;) )

MyHeartIsYours
3rd June 2010, 11:29
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Milos-BC
3rd June 2010, 17:04

In my high school we had Japanese language, but I never chose it, and I regreted it. I also understand and speak all ex-Yu languages except Slovenian :lol:
In school I studied English, French, German and Latin, now in a foreign language school I'm learning Spanish and I love it. I also want to learn Italian, but I think I won't be able to :lol:

Yeah, I had Russian in my high school so I was studying it for 4 years straight :lol: I am not fluent, I even forgot most things, but I know the basics :D

I would like to learn some Italian too, and even German :D

Isabella
3rd June 2010, 22:26

Yeah, I had Russian in my high school so I was studying it for 4 years straight :lol: I am not fluent, I even forgot most things, but I know the basics :D

I would like to learn some Italian too, and even German :D

I never had Russian in my high school :( it's a shame, because I would have chosen it.
Italian is such a beautiful language. My German is not very good :lol: I regretted choosing it. It is so difficult language, at least to me :lol:
In four years I learned the basics, and I don't use it anymore.
I prefer to focus on English, Spanish and French, because in these languages, I'm good.
I hope so :lol:

Milos-BC
5th June 2010, 10:08
And I would've chosen German if I could :lol: I never studied French either :(

I am planning to take some sort of a language course later maybe :lol:

Yeah, my focus is mostly on English as well :D

MyHeartIsYours
10th June 2010, 12:30
The worst British accents are Birmingham imo lol.

lavieenrose
30th August 2017, 04:11
Bump

I agree, let's learn English with Rooney Mara https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osqvtseFaZw&t=1m52s

Nicholas123
30th August 2017, 18:42
I agree, let's learn English with Rooney Mara https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osqvtseFaZw&t=1m52s

http://replygif.net/i/567.gif