PDA

View Full Version : قطر - Qatar

TF100
8th December 2009, 22:34
http://flagspot.net/images/q/qa.gif

TF100
8th December 2009, 22:40
Qatari radio station Qatar Radio sent a delegation to Eurovision 2009 in order to gauge public interest in a Qatari entry to the contest. Results seemed positive, and QR stated that they would apply for EBU membership in the next few years (http://esctoday.com/news/read/14007). However, Qatar lies outside the EBU's broadcasting range, and QR is, as the name suggests, only a radio station and not a television one, thus making an ESC entry impossible.

Liam
3rd February 2010, 12:19
Didn't Qatar get EBU membership earlier than expected and are interested in joining ESC in 2011? But they will possibly debut in 2010 with no problems towards airing the Israeli entry.

94ayd
3rd February 2010, 22:08
How come?! As mentioned by TF100 Qatar lies outside the EBU's broadcasting range, and QR is, as the name suggests, only a radio station and not a television one, thus making an ESC entry impossible.

nini
12th April 2010, 17:05
Qatar would be nice in 2011.

94ayd
3rd June 2010, 10:09
It really will if it's possible. :mrgreen:

Scooby
10th June 2010, 15:26
NO PLEASE!!!!!

A-lister
14th June 2010, 02:51
big fat... NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

AlekS
14th June 2010, 15:42
big fat ... YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS! ;)

Scooby
5th July 2010, 22:19
Qatar would be nice in 2011.

Would be nice, but 2111!!! :twisted:

DominikS
5th August 2010, 19:04
I seriously doubt they will ever be accepted into eurovision... maybe if eurovision becomes worldvision or Qatar becomes a part of another European country or something. :lol:

American Andy
17th August 2010, 08:51
I hope that the EBU lets Qatar in, as it could open the doors to helping the Middle East become slightly more accepting of the West, and vice versa. However, given that Kazakhstan, which does have portions that lie within the EBU zone, has been denied membership more than once, it is likely that the EBU will not accept Qatar as a full member. Now, if QR wanted to work with a Qatari television station to broadcast the Contest, in full (i.e., with the Israeli entry) then that would be a victory in itself.

Though, if I remember correctly, Putin bought the rights to create a EurasianVision which will probably have a lot of Middle East countries (plus Russia) competing, so the ESC will probably start losing whatever popularity it has in the region whenever that gets off the ground (if it ever does).

A-lister
20th October 2010, 23:16
I hope that the EBU lets Qatar in, as it could open the doors to helping the Middle East become slightly more accepting of the West, and vice versa.

You believe this yourself? And white doves and flowers and rainbows...

Anyhow... I don't want ESC to turn into some sort of UN "peace making" farce song contest...

Please just let it stay EUROvision Song Contest.

Scooby
21st October 2010, 21:12
You believe this yourself? And white doves and flowers and rainbows...

Anyhow... I don't want ESC to turn into some sort of UN "peace making" farce song contest...

Please just let it stay EUROvision Song Contest.

xgood

goktengri
16th November 2010, 01:47
I welcome the Qatar if they'll accept all the Eurovision countries.

AlekS
4th December 2010, 00:24
Rumors. And decision as for Qatar will be taken by the EBU very soon.
But then again, even if it will be positive they won't participate in 2011 because it will be too late, imo.

A-lister
4th December 2010, 00:27
If Qatar enters I will officially stop watching this show. Then it's just a political/economical farse to me and nothing else.

MyHeartIsYours
4th December 2010, 01:37
Same, many people in Western Europe already think the expansion is ridiculous and to include a backward Arab state in the contest would be absolutely disgraceful. Hopefully United Kingdom would withdraw and then we can leave everyone else to get on and play with their Arab neighbours whilst we have a Europeonlyvision Song Contest or Commonwealthvision Song Contest :D.

A-lister
4th December 2010, 01:44
^

I hope more than the UK would withdraw in protest, I know that my weak political correct Sweden would never though (they would welcome even Iran :lol:), but hopefully a significant number would withdraw.

MyHeartIsYours
4th December 2010, 01:51
:lol: :lol:
People in this country dont even know what Georgia, Azerbaijan and Bosnia and Herzegovina are, and they always question why they should be participating. What will they be like if Qatar suddenly joins?!! :lol:
I dunno but I guess it's the same in other Western participants but as we have been participating since the contest begun in the 1950's, there is the sort of sense that it is 'our' contest and we want to keep it special. There is already a feeling that it is touching ridiculous atm (not my opinion though ;)) and if an Arab state joined, it would tip that feeling over the edge and Eurovision would just be finished, in this country at least.

A-lister
4th December 2010, 01:54
:lol: :lol:
People in this country dont even know what Georgia, Azerbaijan and Bosnia and Herzegovina are, and they always question why they should be participating. What will they be like if Qatar suddenly joins?!! :lol:
I dunno but I guess it's the same in other Western participants but as we have been participating since the contest begun in the 1950's, there is the sort of sense that it is 'our' contest and we want to keep it special. There is already a feeling that it is touching ridiculous atm (not my opinion though ;)) and if an Arab state joined, it would tip that feeling over the edge and Eurovision would just be finished, in this country at least.

:lol:

Well for me EUROvision should be what it should be about basically; bringing EUROpe together.

So i'm open to all countries geographically Europe taking part + Israel (I find them a special case since they've participated since the 70's more or less non-stop, they are members of UEFA aswell for instance and they are having a special cultural, political, demographic and historical connection).

MyHeartIsYours
4th December 2010, 01:59
Same for me!! Israel is an amazing country and is totally European in culture, has very little in common with the Arab culture.
If Greenland ever got independence, Id also accept them ;).

I dunno why some people wanna ruin Eurovision, it's fun and good enough as it is, with the current participants!! Expansion and getting bigger doesnt necessarily mean that it's getting better!!

A-lister
4th December 2010, 02:01
Same for me!! Israel is an amazing country and is totally European in culture, has very little in common with the Arab culture.
If Greenland ever got independence, Id also accept them ;).

I dunno why some people wanna ruin Eurovision, it's fun and good enough as it is, with the current participants!! Expansion and getting bigger doesnt necessarily mean that it's getting better!!

Agree!

I like a big Eurovision, but I also like it to just stay, well, Eurovision.

And I don't like it to become a farse (like it would become with nonEuropean expansion).

MyHeartIsYours
4th December 2010, 02:08
Definitely!!
Eurovision is probably at its peak now, lets not let it decline!!

lucian-crusher
6th December 2010, 10:31
I hope they allow Qatar! With the money they have they can pay a billion dollars to Lady Gaga to represent them! :D

Schlagerman1
6th December 2010, 12:48
I hope that Qatar can together with United Arab Emirates or some other rich arab-states make a Arabic Song Contest! :) That would be much more cool and I think that it would be higher chance for them to go through than if they go to Eurovision. I mean look at the two countries, they have loads of money, why can't they organize an amazing contest? :)

A-lister
6th December 2010, 14:22
I hope that Qatar can together with United Arab Emirates or some other rich arab-states make a Arabic Song Contest! :) That would be much more cool and I think that it would be higher chance for them to go through than if they go to Eurovision. I mean look at the two countries, they have loads of money, why can't they organize an amazing contest? :)

Because these are the type of authoritarian countries with alot of cash who just want to show off and market themselves. That's why Qatar bought the football world-cup, I really hope their dirty oil cash won't buy them a place in Eurovision though, because let's be real here; the only way they would enter is for them to bribe EBU!

I agree, they could have their own contest, let EUROvision alone though!

A-lister
6th December 2010, 14:24
I hope they allow Qatar! With the money they have they can pay a billion dollars to Lady Gaga to represent them! :D

I don't think Gaga, that is currently out talking about gay rights in the USA, would want to represent countries where homosexuality is illegal and in the same time set her career on risk.

AlekS
6th December 2010, 15:06
That bribing accusation is low, unoriginal stinky piece of shizzle :p
it's getting old *yawn*

(and btw, they could bribe EBU long time ago, why now? :rolleyes: )
It would be funny to see them broadcasting such "gay contest" :lol:

A-lister
6th December 2010, 16:47
^

It may be low, but still soooo true and you know it!

lucian-crusher
6th December 2010, 17:16
I don't think Gaga, that is currently out talking about gay rights in the USA, would want to represent countries where homosexuality is illegal and in the same time set her career on risk.

Not even for a billion dollars? :D

A-lister
6th December 2010, 17:17
Not even for a billion dollars? :D

Qatar may be desperate for attention at the moment, but I doubt they're THAT desperate!

MyHeartIsYours
6th December 2010, 17:48
Eurovision's purpose was to unite post-war Europe and still has that function today. It is a celebration of European culture and music and I will explain now clearly to everybody who may have poor geography (:p), the furthest Europe reaches is Russia, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey, Greece, Italy, Malta, Spain, Portugal, Ireland, Iceland and Norway. Greenland, Cyprus, Israel and Armenia are also included in Europe due to their cultural connections.

lucian-crusher
6th December 2010, 18:08
Qatar may be desperate for attention at the moment, but I doubt they're THAT desperate!

They are not desperate! They jus want to show how much money they have! A prince from Qatar came last week to a club in Romania an spent 25000 Euros on Shampain just to show that he has money. He didn't even open all the bottles :lol:

The arabs want to show they have money. Look what they did to Manchester City! :D

A-lister
6th December 2010, 18:25
They are not desperate! They jus want to show how much money they have! A prince from Qatar came last week to a club in Romania an spent 25000 Euros on Shampain just to show that he has money. He didn't even open all the bottles :lol:

The arabs want to show they have money. Look what they did to Manchester City! :D

= desperation!

...plus they want to buy the whole world for other reasons (not to be discussed here).

Anyways they can create their own little contest, let EUROvision alone!

goktengri
6th December 2010, 18:27
Money talks :mrgreen:

I don't think that ESC authorities could refuse a big bribe from Qatar if they would offer :D

MyHeartIsYours
6th December 2010, 18:37
And at the same time the 'big' countries would withdraw and Eurovision would collapse ;).

goktengri
6th December 2010, 18:46
And at the same time the 'big' countries would withdraw and Eurovision would collapse ;).

It wasn't happened so, when Morocco was participated. No need to fear so much from a country :/

A-lister
6th December 2010, 18:55
It wasn't happened so, when Morocco was participated. No need to fear so much from a country :/

Morocco is not half as bad as Qatar though.

And yes, I think some countries would drop out.

This is why the western world needs to get independent from foreign oil! Without our cash, Qatar would be nothing in the first place, just some sand more or less :lol:

goktengri
6th December 2010, 19:07
Morocco is not half as bad as Qatar though.

And yes, I think some countries would drop out.

This is why the western world needs to get independent from foreign oil! Without our cash, Qatar would be nothing in the first place, just some sand more or less :lol:

Yes, Morocco is not like Qatar, There are 3 years penalty for homosexuals there when it's 5 years in Qatar :lol:

And yep, No doubt that Arab oil countries would fall down if they lost their oil :mrgreen:

MyHeartIsYours
6th December 2010, 19:42
I don't want Morocco back either and when they did participate it was a very different world, we were in the middle of the Cold War.
I don't fear Qatar at all, just I won't accept a backward country in my European contest. Let them have Arabvision, I'm sure it'd be great.

I notice how none of the pro-Arab people have failed to answer my question so I will state it again - how is Qatar remotely European?

AlekS
6th December 2010, 19:44
^

It may be low, but still soooo true and you know it!
If it's soooo true - prove it! :p
Without badmouthing. Real numbers, real video proofs.

AlekS
6th December 2010, 19:46
I notice how none of the pro-Arab people ...
One more remark about nationality and you'll fail in general ;)

There are EBU rules. If you disagree - don't play the game and don't complain.
It's not nationalistic song contest. And it's not about who's more European or less.

A-lister
6th December 2010, 19:51
If it's soooo true - prove it! :p
Without talking bs and badmouthing. Real numbers, real video proofs.

You prove the opposite thanx ;)

I can see what my friends at Wikileaks can find out :lol:

AlekS
6th December 2010, 20:02
You prove the opposite thanx ;)

I can see what my friends at Wikileaks can find out :lol:
Wikileaks is not a trustable source.
I'm not interested in politicians' letters and their thoughts. I have my own, thanx ;)

No no no, you started this you should prove it. You made a serious statement. Show us the video where they bribed someone, please ;)

A-lister
6th December 2010, 20:19
^

I don't have to prove anything. Let's just say I have my thoughts and opinions, you got yours and let's that be it.

As for us who want EUROvision to include well, EUROpean countries, I think it's a legitimate thought. Obviously people are entitled to their opinion if they want it to become Worldvision or Eurabiavision.

AlekS
6th December 2010, 20:29
No, you said that as a fact. So prove that or add "imo" ;)

It's not up to people to decide.
You can have any opinion you want but offending whole countries and accusing someone in crime without proofs is not legitimate by all means.

MyHeartIsYours
6th December 2010, 20:34
There are EBU rules. If you disagree - don't play the game and don't complain.
It's not nationalistic song contest. And it's not about who's more European or less.

No, the EBU is under our control as shareholders.

And then what is it about?

A-lister
6th December 2010, 20:35
Anyways, I already said; I have my opinions and thoughts and I stick to them, don't feel the need to develop on it much further here.

Like i've written million times, my primary opinion against Qatar taking part is that I just don't see it as part of EUROvision for different reasons, and if people really want them in so badly it's up to them.

AlekS
6th December 2010, 20:38
No, the EBU is under our control as shareholders.

And then what is it about?
So basically you bought EBU like whores?
No.

The song? performance?
If you think it's about politics then don't blame others in political and neighbour voting ;)

MyHeartIsYours
6th December 2010, 20:43
It works the same in PLC's. The shareholders make the decisions, not the management. And by 'our' I include Ukraine ;).
As my family's TV license will be used towards the EBU, I expect value for money and a contest we want. United Kingdom takes part in EUROvision for the same reason we did back in the 1950's, we want to to take part in a European music competition. Not one with Arab, African and Asian countries in it.
And still nobody has answered my question... what claim does Qatar have to take part in a European music contest??

AlekS
6th December 2010, 20:49
It works the same in PLC's. The shareholders make the decisions, not the management. And by 'our' I include Ukraine ;).
As my family's TV license will be used towards the EBU, I expect value for money and a contest we want. United Kingdom takes part in EUROvision for the same reason we did back in the 1950's, we want to to take part in a European music competition. Not one with Arab, African and Asian countries in it.
And still nobody has answered my question... what claim does Qatar have to take part in a European music contest??
Then stop paying them if you disagree with the service ;)

As for your question. Ask their broadcaster, they know it better than anyone on this forum.

MyHeartIsYours
6th December 2010, 20:52
Then stop paying them if you disagree with the service ;)
As I said, we would stop paying and Eurovision would die :|.

And then maybe countries that want a proper European contest can make a new contest =)).

AlekS
6th December 2010, 22:36
^ I don't think that Eurovision would died. The BBC is mainly sponsored by the country. They would found another source of money.
+ having Qatar would be a nice reason to have controversial talks and high ratings so I doubt that people would stopped paying.
Eurovision is not EU. It has no serious influence. Lebanon fussed with Israel, and? Morocco had a similar attitude.

Also I doubt that someone would care about the new contest. We have already had Eurovoice which flopped royally.

MyHeartIsYours
6th December 2010, 23:24
I dont want to argue any more, Im going to stick to my belief that Eurovision is for European countries. I have absolutely no problem if the Middle Eastern countries want Arabvision and I will be more than happy to participate with them in Worldvision!! My problem with them joining Eurovision is that they are not geographically or culturally in Europe so I really have absolutely no idea why they have any case to join...

goktengri
6th December 2010, 23:29
Adam is right, I think. But my point is that i don't wanna to be against any country which wants to participate :/

And seeing new countries, new cultures :D But I think I want a worldvision :lol:

A-lister
6th December 2010, 23:31
Adam is right, I think. But my point is that i don't wanna to be against any country which wants to participate :/

And seeing new countries, new cultures :D But I think I want a worldvision :lol:

So then let's Papau Guinea enter Eurovision aswell! :lol:

Seriously it's named EUROvision for a reason and there's a history behind it. If someone wants to create Worldvision, fine, would maybe be a cool idea (although countries would have to qualify like in the world cups otherwise it would be too many), but let Eurovision be Eurovision for what it is really.

goktengri
6th December 2010, 23:45
(although countries would have to qualify like in the world cups otherwise it would be too many),.

yes ! I thought so, too :)

but nevertheless, i still think that we should let some countries that is closer to Europe at least as much as Israel, ( like Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and even Palestine, also some Northern African countries ) cause it would be unfair if we refused them, although I don't want many of them..

A-lister
6th December 2010, 23:54
yes ! I thought so, too :)

but nevertheless, i still think that we should let some countries that is closer to Europe at least as much as Israel, ( like Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and even Palestine, also some Northern African countries ) cause it would be unfair if we refused them, although I don't want many of them..

Why is it unfair? And there's no comparison with Israel really. Israel has entered since the 70's and has a whole other connection, also Israel compete with Europe when it comes to world cups etc, these other countries doesn't.

Those countries could start Arabvision or be included in some Worldvision, now it's about EUROvision though and none of them is European.

Wouldn't it be easier if you started a Worldvision thread here to discuss this? Just a suggestion..

AlekS
7th December 2010, 00:05
If Papua New Guinea enters European Broadcasting Area - I don't mind :lol:

@Adam, according to such logic if Switzerland sends an entry heavily influenced by Arabian culture then it should be treated differently.
Their political situation and their laws is their own business. I'm interested in their music. Nothing will change because of 1 country. And nobody's going to turn Eurovision on Worldvision because it's technically impossible. If their government will agree to integrate themselves into Europe, become more European culturally, I'd gave them a chance.

goktengri
7th December 2010, 00:08
Why is it unfair? And there's no comparison with Israel really. Israel has entered since the 70's and has a whole other connection, also Israel compete with Europe when it comes to world cups etc, these other countries doesn't.

Those countries could start Arabvision or be included in some Worldvision, now it's about EUROvision though and none of them is European.

Wouldn't it be easier if you started a Worldvision thread here to discuss this? Just a suggestion..

Israel has strong relations with Europe, that's the main reason that they are accepted in many European competitions. I don't think that there are other reasons.

But why shouldn't we give them a chance too, if they want to contact with us..

A-lister
7th December 2010, 00:15
Israel has strong relations with Europe, that's the main reason that they are accepted in many European competitions. I don't think that there are other reasons.

But why shouldn't we give them a chance too, if they want to contact with us..

It's not only that, Israel can't compete regionally because they are not accepted in their region. This is the main reason why Israel is included as part of Europe when it comes to UEFA events etc.

Israel has competed since 1970's in Eurovision, there's not much to discuss really.. would be quite unlogical to through out a country from the contest that competed for like 30 years?

And again, Eurovision should stay Eurovision and those countries you're mentioning are not in Europe. Pretty logical to me atleast. It would just a be a joke calling it "EUROvision" when it's actually Eurabiavision or Worldvision. It's just not the same. Also there are historical reasons behind Eurovsion, other than just being a musical show.

MyHeartIsYours
7th December 2010, 01:53
@Adam, according to such logic if Switzerland sends an entry heavily influenced by Arabian culture then it should be treated differently.
Their political situation and their laws is their own business. I'm interested in their music. Nothing will change because of 1 country. And nobody's going to turn Eurovision on Worldvision because it's technically impossible. If their government will agree to integrate themselves into Europe, become more European culturally, I'd gave them a chance.

I dont care about what culture the act/song is from. It's about the country.

United Kingdom - geographically Europe, culturally Europe - should be allowed.
Israel - not geographically Europe, culturally Europe - should be allowed.
Kazakhstan - geographically Europe, not culturally Europe - should also be allowed.
Qatar - not geographically Europe, not culturally Europe - shouldnt be allowed.

A-lister
7th December 2010, 01:57
^
Actually Kazakhstan is quite heavily influenced by Russian culture, so I would say that they're partly culturally European aswell as partly geographically European.

I agree with you though. It has nothing to do with singer or song, it has to do with Eurovision not turning into some sort of Worldvision or Eurabiavision. If the UK want to send an Arabic artist with arabic song then go ahead. So I think we think the same here, but people just don't get it.

AlekS
7th December 2010, 02:07
It's about the country.
You rate the best performance, not the best country :shock:

MyHeartIsYours
7th December 2010, 02:08
You rate the best perforamnce, not the best country :shock: :o

Countries are admitted at first based on the country, not performance as they wont have had one before they join...

MyHeartIsYours
7th December 2010, 02:12
^
Actually Kazakhstan is quite heavily influenced by Russian culture, so I would say that they're partly culturally European aswell as partly geographically European.

I agree with you though. It has nothing to do with singer or song, it has to do with Eurovision not turning into some sort of Worldvision or Eurabiavision. If the UK want to send an Arabic artist with arabic song then go ahead. So I think we think the same here, but people just don't get it.

Shhh about Kazakhstan!! It was the best example I could think of :p.

And yupp to your second point!!
We sent Javine in 2005, it doesnt mean we are Turkish!! :lol:

AlekS
7th December 2010, 02:12
Countries are admitted at first based on the country, not performance as they wont have had one before they join...
Based on technical, financial features and accordance with rules.
Not on cultural or nationalistic features... thankfully :shock:

A-lister
7th December 2010, 02:15
Have people even forgot the name of this contest? :lol:

EUROvision?

MyHeartIsYours
7th December 2010, 02:17
Based on technical, financial features and accordance with rules.
Not on cultural or nationalistic features... thankfully :shock:

Well I really dont see sense in a country joining a gay competition where 50%+ of the fans would be locked up for 5 years if it was hosted there. Also I dont see the sense in an Arabic country joining a European contest, unless the sense is the same as Fifa's...

AlekS
7th December 2010, 02:22
And I see no sense in being negative and laying crap at countries and whole nations if they don't fit your sense-borders.
As for Qatar. They should be developed, if this helps them to improve I'd gave them such chance.

A-lister
7th December 2010, 02:23
I see this discussion going round and round. Some people obviously don't understand what Europe is. My suggestion is that the ones that wants to turn Eurovision into Worldvision or Eurabiavision starts a new thread lobbying for that. Until Qatar is officially European, which it will never be, then I see it quite weird to force it into a contest named EUROvision just for the sake of "the more the merrier", sometimes "the more the merrier" could just be ridiculous as it would be in this case.

And it has nothing to do with "hate" toward certain countries or whatever, if one are not willing to understand the point others making then I mean c'mon? Some want Eurovision to continue being a European contest, what's wrong with that?

MyHeartIsYours
7th December 2010, 02:28
I see this discussion going round and round. Some people obviously don't understand what Europe is. My suggestion is that the ones that wants to turn Eurovision into Worldvision or Eurabiavision starts a new thread lobbying for that. Until Qatar is officially European, which it will never be, then I see it quite weird to force it into a contest named EUROvision just for the sake of "the more the merrier", sometimes "the more the merrier" could just be ridiculous as it would be int this case.

xyeah

Eurovision has expanded to the whole of Europe now, that is quite enough. It works well as it does now, why try and change it? EBU needs to focus on improving and developing the competition without the distraction of adding non-European countries.

AlekS
7th December 2010, 02:30
My suggerstion is that some should chill down and stop jumping at me for having my opinon ;)

Eurovision can accept Qatar and it has all rights to do so. Like or not but Qatar belongs to Eurovision xshrug

A-lister
7th December 2010, 02:34
How a country that has nothing to do with Europe, not even geographically, "belongs" to EUROvision (like it's some sort of God given right) is beyond my understanding.

No one jumps at you, but obviously if one is not politically correct and want all the world to take part in Eurovision then that's not allowed to think so? Then we are all automatically xenophobic etc.? :?

Well let's have a Worldvision then, 10 semifinals, voting results being presented the next day... now that would be awesome! *irony*

If Qatar won, then the Swedish delegate wouldn't even be able to travel there since head of it is openly gay :lol:

But I guess Qatar is more "in" Europe than Sweden :?

MyHeartIsYours
7th December 2010, 02:34
Perhaps once the Big 3 withdraw, Qatar's oil money can float the contest ;).

AlekS
7th December 2010, 02:53
How a country that has nothing to do with Europe, not even geographically, "belongs" to EUROvision (like it's some sort of God given right) is beyond my understanding.
Read the EBU rules then.

No one jumps at you, but obviously if one is not politically correct and want all the world to take part in Eurovision then that's not allowed to think so? Then we are all automatically xenophobic etc.?
And why do you ask me? ;)

Well let's have a Worldvision then, 10 semifinals, voting results being presented the next day... now that would be awesome! *irony*
Actually the only one who talks about Worlvision all the time is you :)
I don't get what it has to do with allowing just 1 country.

If Qatar won, then the Swedish delegate wouldn't even be able to travel there since head of it is openly gay :lol:

But I guess Qatar is more "in" Europe than Sweden :?
I guess that by the time they join they will be more integrated in Europe but of course some don't even give them a chance. I don't think that Qatar should be left where they are, they will never become integrated if there will be such attitude.

AlekS
7th December 2010, 02:56
Perhaps once the Big 3 withdraw, Qatar's oil money can float the contest ;).
Qatar's oil money could float the contest long time ago. Why did they start negotiating only last year?

A-lister
7th December 2010, 02:59
Read the EBU rules then.

And why do you ask me? ;)

Because you made up such assumptions. Actually I know the EBU rules, does that mean I have to agree with every aspect of them? Nope!

Actually the only one who talks about Worlvision all the time is you :)
I don't get what it has to do with allowing just 1 country.

It always starts with "just 1"...

I guess that by the time they join they will be more integrated in Europe but of course some don't even give them a chance. I don't think that Qatar should be left where they are, they will never become integrated if there will be such attitude.

And pigs can fly aswell...

People who lived in more than one generation in some Western countries haven't integrated in those societies, yet somehow a whole country would integrate into Europe just because it takes part in a contest? :?

Anyways, Australia could be considered "integrated European", still I don't want them in Eurovision cause they are not European.

MyHeartIsYours
7th December 2010, 03:01

Aleks, you must understand that they dont want to accept the rights of women and gay people. What's stopping them giving equal rights now? Nothing.
Eurovision is a gay contest and it is morally wrong for a country to join where homosexuality is illegal. If we are so desperate to change their complete disregard for human rights then you refuse to allow their entry into the contest until they change. Even then I would not accept their membership however because they are no European.

MyHeartIsYours
7th December 2010, 03:01
Qatar's oil money could float the contest long time ago. Why did they start negotiating only last year?

Shame they didnt come sooner then, if you'd rather my country leave...

MyHeartIsYours
7th December 2010, 03:03
If Qatar joins then I hope everybody has fun playing with them but dont come running back crying to United Kingdom, Sweden and the rest of us when it ends up like Intervision mark 2...

AlekS
7th December 2010, 03:19
Because you made up such assumptions.
And I'm gonna make such assumptions as I judge your words, not you xshrug

Actually I know the EBU rules, does that mean I have to agree with every aspect of them? Nope!

Just like I'm not gonna agree with you. And I don't force to agree with every aspect.

It always starts with "just 1"...
Nonsense. It's impossible technically for EBU to cover the whole world and you know that. Just 1 and who else?

yet somehow a whole country would integrate into Europe just because it takes part in a contest? :?
And where did I say that it will be integrated just because of 1 contest? :?

A-lister
7th December 2010, 12:14
And I'm gonna make such assumptions as I judge your words, not you xshrug

Good thing would to not make too fast conclusions about what one means and say, never said any of those "words". In the end of the day I know myself and what I mean more than anyone else.

Just like I'm not gonna agree with you. And I don't force to agree with every aspect.

No one said you had to.

Nonsense. It's impossible technically for EBU to cover the whole world and you know that. Just 1 and who else?

Now 1, tomorrow 3. This is how it works. Partly because it's technically difficult is one reason I'm opposed, but I think I don't need to explain for the 1000 time that I believe Eurovision should stay European?

And where did I say that it will be integrated just because of 1 contest? :?

Just the idea that this country would somehow integrate in European ways because of a music contest in the first place...
Like I said if people from this region can't integrate living in European societies for generations, then how would it be possible for a whole country to do so? It's not like we take whole Qatar to Europe anyways.

Anyways, I don't see Eurovision as some sort of UN peace conference anyhow (those are a joke anyhow :lol:), I see it as a European contest where European countries compete in music, it's all pretty simple actually. It has nothing to do with religion or origin of singers, I couldn't care less. For me it's simply about keeping the tradition of a European music contest, and again Qatar is and never will be a part of Europe and the idea that some rather see Qatar in Eurovision than the potential actual EUROpean countries dropping out is kind of weird, then I guess what one wants is not Eurovision in the first place but some other type of contest between countries.

AlekS
7th December 2010, 12:48
Good thing would to not make too fast conclusions about what one means and say, never said any of those "words". In the end of the day I know myself and what I mean more than anyone else.
I would like to say exactly the same thing to you.

No one said you had to.
No one said you had to, as well ;)

Now 1, tomorrow 3. This is how it works. Partly because it's technically difficult is one reason I'm opposed, but I think I don't need to explain for the 1000 time that I believe Eurovision should stay European?
If you don't want to explain then don't explain instead of talking for 1000th time.

Just the idea that this country would somehow integrate in European ways because of a music contest in the first place...
No, you quoted my words. Show me where I said that it will integrate because of a music contest in the first place...

Like I said if people from this region can't integrate living in European societies for generations, then how would it be possible for a whole country to do so? It's not like we take whole Qatar to Europe anyways.
If Arabian immigrants could then Qatar can as well. And why should we take the WHOLE Qatar to Europe? Not all European countries are fully European.

For me it's simply about keeping the tradition of a European music contest, and again Qatar is and never will be a part of
Not giving a chance to become a part of European music culture speaks for itself. Like it or not but Qatar has chances to become a part of the contest xshrug

Europe and the idea that some rather see Qatar in Eurovision than the potential actual EUROpean countries dropping out is kind of weird, then I guess what one wants is not Eurovision in the first place but some other type of contest between countries.
If these "EURO" countries have such attitude and they blackmail EBU (against Eastern EURO countries too, I can imagine their reaction against Qatar then) then no need in blaming "one" in wanting other contest ;) I support the current system, it's you actually who wants other contest.
I'm not of those people who say that Eurovision rules have nothing to do with Eurovision. If some broadcasters do not support these rules nobody holds them by force.
If Qatar becomes more European I'd LOVE them to join Eurovision. I think it is possible.

94ayd
7th December 2010, 15:28
I'd like to give them a chance, in order for us to see something fresh and different, though they might go very American/Western, so they show how developped they are... :lol: I doubt they'll last long, plus who'll vote for a small, Arab country, located very far away from any of the other participants... xrofl3

MyHeartIsYours
7th December 2010, 16:09
A-lister, Aleks and myself - let's stop squabbling cuz we should be bigger and better people than arguing over bloody Qatar!! A-lister and myself are always going to be against their participation and Aleks I presume you're always going to be for it. Let's agree to disagree and forget about any things that were said last night :)

@ 94ayd
You're saying there is political voting... :o
Perhaps some people on political/diaspora lines but I for one never do and I hope you don't either ;).

Israeliboy
7th December 2010, 16:32
If Qatar joins then I hope everybody has fun playing with them but dont come running back crying to United Kingdom, Sweden and the rest of us when it ends up like Intervision mark 2...

Agree! Who will vote for them? It has totally nothing to do with Europe...

AlekS
7th December 2010, 16:43
@Adam. Actually I'm not 100% totally for it o_0 I support just possible opportunity - when they become more European culturally, I'm not rooting for 2011 :?
Yeah, I'm not gonna treat A-Lister differently because of yesterday + I hurt him too in response so we both understood how it feels :)

Hey, you won't vote for them even if they turn on a gay hunky heaven and send Scissor Sisters? :shock: xrofl3 :twisted:

MyHeartIsYours
7th December 2010, 16:48
Hey, you won't vote for them even if they turn on a gay hunky heaven and send Scissor Sisters? :shock: xrofl3 :twisted:

I said I dont vote politically!! :twisted: Of course Id vote if they sent a gay hunk :mrgreen: :lol:
I admit I support or dont support new members based party on political lines, but once a country is a member I will vote totally based on the song and artist - eg I've voted for Russia in 2008 even though I didnt like them politically at the time and Iceland and Norway even though I dont like their whaling ;).

Israeliboy
7th December 2010, 16:49
^^^lol, I don't think it will EVER happen...they won't send such a song :)

AlekS
7th December 2010, 16:59
@Adam. That's very similar to my point of view :oops: xkiss
I mean, in the near future I'm totally against it but I don't exclude miracles :lol: :D

AlekS
7th December 2010, 17:00
^^^lol, I don't think it will EVER happen...they won't send such a song :)
I wasn't asking if this can happen or not someday - ever or not ever :)
I asked what if.
And we don't know the future so saying that they will never send such song won't be correct.
You know, 25 years ago I would never thought that homosexuality can become legal here (and we were the 1st country in ex-USSR to do so) and that it will be possible to join EU one day. Never say never :lol:
Though it requires a lot of time without a doubt.

Israeliboy
7th December 2010, 17:10
^^You a bit right.But it won't happen in the next years for sure ;)

AlekS
7th December 2010, 17:11
^ totally :lol: :)

evilperson
7th December 2010, 18:00
Um, Qatar don't even have an interested television station that wants to join the EBU so I don't see them participating in the near future anyways. :?

Israeliboy
7th December 2010, 18:05
^^^lol, so it's much complicated than I thought lol...

AlekS
7th December 2010, 18:31
Um, Qatar don't even have an interested television station that wants to join the EBU so I don't see them participating in the near future anyways. :?
true that :lol:
they didn't even apply.

94ayd
7th December 2010, 19:36
I said I dont vote politically!! :twisted: Of course Id vote if they sent a gay hunk :mrgreen: :lol:
I admit I support or dont support new members based party on political lines, but once a country is a member I will vote totally based on the song and artist - eg I've voted for Russia in 2008 even though I didnt like them politically at the time and Iceland and Norway even though I dont like their whaling ;).

As if voting based on looks is any better than political voting... :lol:

MyHeartIsYours
7th December 2010, 20:30
As if voting based on looks is any better than political voting... :lol:

It is ;).

94ayd
7th December 2010, 20:34
It's still not judging the songs, so no difference for me. :lol:

MyHeartIsYours
7th December 2010, 20:44
It's still not judging the songs, so no difference for me. :lol:

I vote on the whole package; song, singing, singer, effects etc and that includes the looks of the singers ;). Obviously if there is a great song sung by an ugly person I will still vote for them regardless but to be a totally perfect entry for me they have to be good-lookers eg Norway 2010 :mrgreen:.

Voting for countries isnt good...

94ayd
7th December 2010, 21:30
Too bad he didn't have the rest of the package, besides looks... :lol:

MyHeartIsYours
7th December 2010, 22:16
Too bad he didn't have the rest of the package, besides looks... :lol:

He did :evil: But ehh, politics, what can ya do? :twisted: :lol:

94ayd
7th December 2010, 22:21
:lol: We'd better stop here. We've turned this poor thread in I-don't-even-know-what-anymore really... xrofl3

MyHeartIsYours
7th December 2010, 22:35
:lol: We'd better stop here. We've turned this poor thread in I-don't-even-know-what-anymore really... xrofl3

Ahh, this thread has always been abused anyway!! :lol: :lol:

A-lister
7th December 2010, 22:59
... plus who'll vote for a small, Arab country, located very far away from any of the other participants... xrofl3

Arab diaspora, so basically they will be atleast top.3 :lol:

Israeliboy
8th December 2010, 08:35
^^^Well, that's true :(

94ayd
8th December 2010, 14:17
Even Turkey doesn't end up in top 3 too often and there are more Turks, I'm pretty sure. ;)

A-lister
8th December 2010, 14:55
^

Well Turkey more or less always ends up in top.10 atleast anyways, and I wouldn't be too sure about there being more Turks than Arabs, atleast not here.

Well point still being; expect massive diaspora voting and a contender to Turkey in that aspect :lol:

... and I'm not sure if that is what Eurovision needs more of so add that to just another reason why I'm opposed to Qatar entering :lol:

MyHeartIsYours
8th December 2010, 15:20
Turkey often does better than it would have done without the diaspora, like in 2009.

Israeliboy
8th December 2010, 15:46
^^^Agree!

evilperson
8th December 2010, 16:12
Honestly these are just your opinions in regards to Turkey. I might not be a die hard fan of their recent entries, but I can definitely see how they have appealed to voters much more over other songs. Of course there is no denying that they have the extra boost from their diaspora, but I don't see the juries voting them out of the top 10 the last two years either.

Canuck
12th December 2010, 20:53
Honestly these are just your opinions in regards to Turkey. I might not be a die hard fan of their recent entries, but I can definitely see how they have appealed to voters much more over other songs. Of course there is no denying that they have the extra boost from their diaspora, but I don't see the juries voting them out of the top 10 the last two years either.

xgood

Turkey has a way of being able to send really well known domestic artists, much like Sweden (moreso than most other countries in ESC)... their star power really helps them on stage.

goktengri
12th December 2010, 21:42
xgood

Turkey has a way of being able to send really well known domestic artists, much like Sweden (moreso than most other countries in ESC)... their star power really helps them on stage.

That's the thing I hate most about choosing system, I would like to see young or new singers/bands to represent us :/ Eurovision is not only winning, but introducing artists in your country, not sending best.

Canuck
14th December 2010, 07:31
That's the thing I hate most about choosing system, I would like to see young or new singers/bands to represent us :/ Eurovision is not only winning, but introducing artists in your country, not sending best.

Disagree. I find Eurovision as a contest to showcase your talent. You're showing the entire continent "Hey, this is who we've got right now, are you impressed?"

nikolay_BG
27th December 2010, 13:17
Talking about diasporas, I think most of the arabs vote for Turkey now. Bringing an arab country to the contest will brake the so big diaspora voting for Turkey. At least that`s what I think.

goktengri
27th December 2010, 17:49
Talking about diasporas, I think most of the arabs vote for Turkey now. Bringing an arab country to the contest will brake the so big diaspora voting for Turkey. At least that`s what I think.

I don't think most of them WATCH this contest. You can't tell me we have a big arab diaspora ! Also we are not the ONLY COUNTRY which damages the contest with political votes.

You can bring many arab countries, It is not enough to break diaspora, Cause we don't get anything except maybe some trashy little votes from THEM !

MyHeartIsYours
27th December 2010, 18:07
Arab people don't just live in Arab countries - anyone from a Western European country can tell you that!! :lol:

Turkey does have one of the biggest diasporas yes, but I don't think that should be dealt with by adding another diaspora country - that'd just make the political/diaspora voting problem worse.

goktengri
27th December 2010, 18:16
Arabs don't influence this contest as much as Greek Cypriots. I can accept that we have a big Turkish diaspora, but you MUST prove me that we have a big ARAB diaspora !

MyHeartIsYours
27th December 2010, 18:22
Greek Cypriots is a political voting problem I think whilst Arab/Turkish is more diaspora.

goktengri
27th December 2010, 18:25
Greek Cypriots is a political voting problem I think whilst Arab/Turkish is more diaspora.

Count how many Arabs vote for Turkey. What's their influence to this contest ?

It's just nonsense, ok ?

MyHeartIsYours
27th December 2010, 18:32
Well I dunno, how come United Kingdom, France, Germany and Belgium always give high points to Turkey??
Please don't think I'm attacking Turkey cuz I'm not, loads of countries have political or diaspora influence in their voting; Balkans, ex-USSR, Scandinavian, United Kingdom + Ireland + Malta, Iberia etc. It's not just a Turkish problem :).

Sim
27th December 2010, 18:34
Guys stay on topic=)
It's about Qatar here:P

Not the voting of particular countries:P

goktengri
27th December 2010, 18:39
Well I dunno, how come United Kingdom, France, Germany and Belgium always give high points to Turkey??

Can't you think that there are many TURKS in the countries you mentioned ?

There are Turkish diaspora, There are not an Arab diaspora. If you say that, you must prove me it.

MyHeartIsYours
27th December 2010, 19:47
Can't you think that there are many TURKS in the countries you mentioned ?

That is what diaspora is which is what I've been talking about ;).

But anyway we shouldnt talk about this anymore cuz it's off-topic like Sim said :).

goktengri
27th December 2010, 20:11
That is what diaspora is which is what I've been talking about ;).

But anyway we shouldnt talk about this anymore cuz it's off-topic like Sim said :).

OK I accept that there is a diaspora but it is not arab ;)

nikolay_BG
27th December 2010, 21:10
My thesis is that arabs vote for Turkey, since they like that kind of music (as we both know, 90% of the turkish "folk music" is actually arabic). I can name minimum 5 turkish entries that have arabic sounds in them.
Even Sertap Erener`s song and performance was arabic. :lol:
My thesis is if arabs have an arabic country to vote for, the votes for Turkey wont be so big and Turkey will stop damaging the contest.

And don`t start the Greece-Cyprus thing, because I`ll start the Turkey-Azerbaijan thing :)

94ayd
27th December 2010, 21:12
Good thesis, IMO. :)

nikolay_BG
27th December 2010, 21:14
Good thesis, IMO. :)

IMO?

94ayd
27th December 2010, 21:17
*in my opinion :lol:

goktengri
27th December 2010, 21:21
My thesis is that arabs vote for Turkey

Without any proof

since they like that kind of music (as we both know, 90% of the turkish "folk music" is actually arabic). I can name minimum 5 turkish entries that have arabic sounds in them.
Even Sertap Erener`s song and performance was arabic.

What about Balkan countries ? They have similar music, Then they must for each other !

Btw, If there is a country which has fully Arabian influences in its music and culture in Eurovision, It is not Turkey, but another country ;)

Turkey will stop damaging the contest.

Try to be more objective, you turcophobic !

And don`t start the Greece-Cyprus thing, because I`ll start the Turkey-Azerbaijan thing

I'm against that, too. Cause I can count you more, But did u get my point ? YOU CAN'T BLAME ONLY TURKEY !

It seems you're a typic Turkish hater and I don't wanna to keep up this discussion with a biased person.

nikolay_BG
27th December 2010, 21:35
It seems you're a typic Turkish hater and I don't wanna to keep up this discussion with a biased person.

But I don`t blame Turkey. I blame the turkish diaspora that is voting blindly for Turkey no matter the song. Hadise (for example) didn`t deserve her place in 2009. Her voice was bad and her show was rubbish. That is really damaging the contest.

France always giving 12 points to Turkey is a little suspicious to me.

goktengri
27th December 2010, 21:40
But I don`t blame Turkey. I blame the turkish diaspora that is voting blindly for Turkey no matter the song. Hadise (for example) didn`t deserve her place in 2009. Her voice was bad and her show was rubbish. That is really damaging the contest.

Well, you were saying '' Arab diaspora '' before...

I said I accept that there is a Turkish diaspora, no arab, if you say it, you must prove it, but also we are not only country which damages the CONTEST.

MyHeartIsYours
27th December 2010, 21:47
Excuse me but Sim said earlier to stop it...

Matt
27th December 2010, 21:51
We're off topic here, please stick to discussing Qatar @ ESC.

nikolay_BG
28th December 2010, 01:29
We're off topic here, please stick to discussing Qatar @ ESC.

OK. For me Qatar will do really good things to ESC. That`s why I support it for the contest.

Why do I support it? I said in my preview posts :)

Quent91
18th January 2011, 18:48
I don't want them in the contest. The ESC must stay european first... If they come, why don't we ask Iran or Irak to join it ? It's the same location...

A-lister
18th January 2011, 18:53
I don't want them in the contest. The ESC must stay european first... If they come, why don't we ask Iran or Irak to join it ? It's the same location...

Agree 100%

MyHeartIsYours
18th January 2011, 19:09
Sameeeeeeeeeee! :D

Israeliboy
18th January 2011, 19:21
Same!!!

Darko
18th January 2011, 19:42
I think it'd be nice to see them but it doesn't really make sense 'cause it's "EUROvision" but I wouldn't say no to them!

A-lister
18th January 2011, 20:02
I think it'd be nice to see them but it doesn't really make sense 'cause it's "EUROvision" but I wouldn't say no to them!

For sure it makes absolutely no sense and I don't think they should be in for obvious reasons.

bubblingtrue
4th March 2012, 21:21
Weren't they interested in joining a few years ago?

mono
4th March 2012, 22:15
yes they were but EBU refused since they're not part of the EBU region.

sonami
20th May 2012, 16:27
hmmmm..... why not? russia enter eurovision and russia is a hundred miles from japan..... yes its a large country lol...... i see no reason why qatar cant enter..... would add some spice to the eurovision :)

AdelAdel
24th May 2012, 15:17
I bet that many Arab countries would take part in ESC if only Israel wouldn't be in it.

Andrzej1987
30th May 2012, 23:23
Aren't there enough countries in EBU's broadcasting area? Why do some people look outside of the area when we have some 10 countries that could participate if they wanted to.

Yoni
31st May 2012, 17:12
I bet that many Arab countries would take part in ESC if only Israel wouldn't be in it.

Or, if they could grow up and show our song, sheesh.

Yamarus
31st May 2012, 20:31

Agreed, 100%.

AdelAdel
1st June 2012, 19:41

I believe in 1979 there was a country (Jordan or Syria) which transmitted the contest, when it was clear that Israel would win, they stopped the broadcast and said to the public, that Belgium won (it came 2nd in fact).

Quent91
1st June 2012, 19:59
that Belgium won (it came 2nd in fact).

And we should have won with that magnificent song performed by Jean Vallée...

AdelAdel
1st June 2012, 20:53
And we should have won with that magnificent song performed by Jean Vallée...

My mistake, it was 1978, as I remembered that Belgium had most success in the even (french) years.