PDA

View Full Version : New/returning countries

TF100
8th December 2009, 22:32
Which countries, in your opinion, that are not participating/expected to participate in ESC 2010, would you most like to see debut/return in the near future?

MrJadeEwen
9th December 2009, 00:15
Luxembourg needs to come back :)

94ayd
9th December 2009, 13:03
One third of these need to return/debute. Why is there no Austria here? :o :shock: :?

Alexu
9th December 2009, 14:55
I wish for the European countries to return....sorry but I don't want countries like Lebanon, Algeria, Egypt, Tunisia, Qatar and the rest non-european, in the contest. Those countries should make a similar contest: Asiavision, Africavision :D , cuz Eurovision is strictly European (few exceptions, like Armenia, Azerbaijan, but are closer to Europe, they are in the European football too), and it should stay like that.

Stargazer
20th January 2010, 00:25
First and foremost:

Austria
Italy
Luxembourg
Monaco

It just doesn't feel like the ESC anymore. PLEASE come back!!!

I would also love for Liechtenstein to join. We need all the Western European countries we can get, hehe.

Montenegro and Hungary are more than welcome to come back. They always send great entries.

Andalublue
1st February 2010, 20:26
No mention of Andorra! I loved La Teva Decisió.

Also, to be controversial... I´d get rid of Israel. No definition of Europe can include them.

I also think Azerbaijan, Cyprus and Malta are pushing it a bit.

Matt
1st February 2010, 20:34
The poll was created before the withdrawal of Andorra (and several other countries)

And I said it before, even though (obviously) the majority of participating countries are in Europe it's not a european contest per sei, it's a contest of those countries that are part of the European Broadcasting Union. We all can argue about what's european enough to participate but that's not the point. If you fall within the European Broadcasting Area (and are a member of course) you are eligible to enter whether we like it or not.

Andalublue
1st February 2010, 20:38
The poll was created before the withdrawal of Andorra (and several other countries)

And I said it before, even though (obviously) the majority of participating countries are in Europe it's not a european contest per sei, it's a contest of those countries that are part of the European Broadcasting Union. We all can argue about what's european enough to participate but that's not the point. If you fall within the European Broadcasting Area (and are a member of course) you are eligible to enter whether we like it or not.

You asked our opinion. I gave you mine. I think it should be a European competition.

Matt
1st February 2010, 20:56
I know it's your opinion and it's a valid opinion to have I'm just stating the facts. Although I personally am in favor all countries to join the contest (that are eligible that is) I understand the desire of some people to have a "Europeans only" contest. We all know that this is not going to happen though, at least not with the Eurovision Song contest.

MrJadeEwen
2nd February 2010, 00:49
Also, to be controversial... I´d get rid of Israel. No definition of Europe can include them.
I also think Azerbaijan, Cyprus and Malta are pushing it a bit.

Malta are 100% European :|

Liam
3rd February 2010, 12:24
When I went to Tunisia there were signs of it slowly changing into a "Western" country... I don't think the fact that Israel is in the contest will put them off for much longer... and what other reasons are there for them NOT to enter?

Schlagerman1
3rd February 2010, 16:11
I think that if a country is competing in the Euro qualies in football, they should be able to compete in Eurovision. There we have countries like Israel, Armenia, Azerbaijan and even Kazakhstan (even if I am a bit against having Kazakhstan in ESC...it is a bit too far away for being in Europe IMO)

Therefore can't countries like Tunisia, Qatar and Lebanon, since they are competing in African and Asian qualifications.

TF100
3rd February 2010, 18:00
Kazakhstan (even if I am a bit against having Kazakhstan in ESC...it is a bit too far away for being in Europe IMO)

That's interesting considering 5% of their territory is in geographical Europe :lol:

AlekS
4th February 2010, 17:45
and Russian Magadan and Vladivostok are even too far from Kazakhstan :lol:

goktengri
17th July 2010, 19:37
I want to Czech Republic for coming back.They were sent an awesome song in 2008.I'm loved it !

For the rest,Italy needs to come back.But they're right about their protest...

And I want Austria,Montenegro,Egypt,Lebanon,Tunisia,Kazakhsta n.If Kazakhstan will join,It will be one more Turkish country after Azerbaijan. xbounce. So we can hear more Turkish melodies :) And there can be more cultures in Eurovision with Lebanon,Egypt,Tunisia etc. (Arabesque melodies)

I love all the cultures. :)

MyHeartIsYours
21st October 2010, 13:56
I only want European countries in Eurovision, definitely not Arab countries. They can have their own contest if they so wish...

Quent91
20th April 2011, 19:41
::lu Luxembourg

GRE
21st April 2011, 00:05
::ad::cz::li::lu::mc::me::ma + Tunisia

sannerz
21st April 2011, 03:13
I only want European countries in Eurovision, definitely not Arab countries. They can have their own contest if they so wish...

Wow... I myself would love to have Arab countries in our contest. Their ethnic music is so interesting and unique.
Turkey could be considered an Arab country. And Morocco participated in the past, with a VERY good song.

MyHeartIsYours
21st April 2011, 12:12
Wow... I myself would love to have Arab countries in our contest. Their ethnic music is so interesting and unique.
Turkey could be considered an Arab country. And Morocco participated in the past, with a VERY good song.

But they're not European :?. We can have Worldvision if we want all different cultures + styles of music.

sannerz
21st April 2011, 22:26
But they're not European :?. We can have Worldvision if we want all different cultures + styles of music.

Neither is Israel. Nor is Georgia, Armenia, or Azerbaijan. /:

lucian-crusher
21st April 2011, 22:42
How about Molvania? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkyM_nD_N6Y

MyHeartIsYours
22nd April 2011, 00:28
Neither is Israel. Nor is Georgia, Armenia, or Azerbaijan. /:

They are culturally European and are connected heavily with Europe. Arab countries arent.

nikolay_BG
22nd April 2011, 13:39
Kazakhstan? Maybe Lebanon, but I vote for Kazakhstan.

sannerz
22nd April 2011, 17:15
They are culturally European and are connected heavily with Europe. Arab countries arent.

That's a very subjective opinion. You could argue that Turkey has more Arab influences than European.

nikolay_BG
23rd April 2011, 01:55
That's a very subjective opinion. You could argue that Turkey has more Arab influences than European.

Is it a lie? They actually WON with a song in arabic style, clothes and dance.

MyHeartIsYours
23rd April 2011, 02:06

It is subjective but that's just my opinion :).

LokoFan444
24th April 2011, 14:31
I d like come back Liechtenstein!))

Scooby
24th April 2011, 21:08
I d like come back Liechtenstein!))

Actually it would be a debut for Liechtenstein :lol:

Quent91
24th April 2011, 21:29
in 1977, they tried to enter, I think.

Adeline
27th April 2011, 18:37
My predictions:

Montenegro will come back between now and a few years. I also think Monaco and Luxembourg will come back someday. And a North-African country will enter the contest in a few years.

Sabiondo
27th April 2011, 20:04
in 1977, they tried to enter, I think.

Also in 1969...

Sabiondo
27th April 2011, 20:05
My predictions:

Montenegro will come back between now and a few years. I also think Monaco and Luxembourg will come back someday. And a North-African country will enter the contest in a few years.

Must add that Kazasthan, Kosovo, South Osetia, Abjasia, etc... also will do in the future.

goktengri
27th April 2011, 20:34
You could argue that Turkey has more Arab influences than European.

Neither Arab, nor European, Turkish music is Central Asian. For the rest, it carries features from balkans, middle east and other regional musical elements, as well as more american or european influences. Yes we sent some songs in middle eastern style ( it is incorrectly called arab music, then Israeli music is fully arab as well ), but we sent other styles as well.

I'm not ashamed of middle eastern style, the people who should be ashamed is those who try to humiliate Turkish music with this style.

Scooby
28th April 2011, 00:03
Also in 1969...

They try but not participate, so we still wait on Liechtenstein ESC debut entry ;)

nikolay_BG
28th April 2011, 00:08
Must add that Kazasthan, Kosovo, South Osetia, Abjasia, etc... also will do in the future.

The bolded ones are NOT countries. Kazakhstan is. Eurovision isn`t about politics and your separatist ideas aren`t healthy for the contest TBH ;)

MyHeartIsYours
28th April 2011, 00:14
Actually Im not getting involved in this argument again :lol:. I'll just say that I believe they should join Eurovision.

Grinch
28th April 2011, 03:12
Turkey could be considered an Arab country.

What?! :lol:

AlekS
28th April 2011, 12:56
lulz. Arabian population is less than 1% there. Muslim? Yes. Arab - nope.

As for me ---> Kazakhstan, Lebanon, Czech Republic, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Montenegro, Luxembourg and Monaco.

doctormalisimo
28th April 2011, 15:25
I'd like to see the properly European countries to come back (Andorra, Czech Rep, Luxembourg, Monaco, Montenegro). Kazakhstan would be nice too. And it would be nice to see at least one Arab/Muslim country (like Lebanon or Morocco) in it, or even have all the Arab countries represented by a single entry...

Sabiondo
28th April 2011, 18:39
The bolded ones are NOT countries. Kazakhstan is. Eurovision isn`t about politics and your separatist ideas aren`t healthy for the contest TBH ;)

I know, but what is the problem with that..?? We disscusing about ESC future and threse De facto countries won't be ignored...ĦĦĦ

AlekS
28th April 2011, 23:40
^ Leave politics for another place ;)

Michelangelo
22nd May 2011, 18:59
Italy and Luxembourg are two countries I really want to come back to the contest. And with Italy's comeback this year, it's only the Luxembourg left, I miss them. It's 18 years ago they last participated!

Sabiondo
22nd May 2011, 19:21
^And Morroco tooo ;)

Michelangelo
22nd May 2011, 20:06
Yes, it would be interesting to see Morocco returning to the contest, but I doubt it. They have only participated once, 31 years ago and they came second last. Poor Samira, I thought it was a pretty good entry.

Quent91
22nd May 2011, 21:15
31 years ago and they came second last.

no, it was a last place with 7 points.

Sabiondo
22nd May 2011, 23:50
Yes, it would be interesting to see Morocco returning to the contest, but I doubt it. They have only participated once, 31 years ago and they came second last. Poor Samira, I thought it was a pretty good entry.

She was verry underrated by the jugdes that year.. mayber cause overrated a lot the Rich European countries entries ...ĦĦĦĦ

Sabiondo
22nd May 2011, 23:52
no, it was a last place with 7 points.

Was Finland with 6.

94ayd
23rd May 2011, 00:17
Morocco's probably my fave of 1980. ;)

Michelangelo
23rd May 2011, 00:55
She was verry underrated by the jugdes that year.. mayber cause overrated a lot the Rich European countries entries ...ĦĦĦĦ

Well, the national juries together with the televoting today never stop to amaze me. When they start to cast their votes, you realise that you know nothing about music! :lol:

But then again, it's also the beauty of the contest. It wouldn't be the same without them.

Sabiondo
23rd May 2011, 01:49
Well, the national juries together with the televoting today never stop to amaze me. When they start to cast their votes, you realise that you know nothing about music! :lol:

But then again, it's also the beauty of the contest. It wouldn't be the same without them.

:lol::lol: True..I can not imagine the taste of the beginings of the 80's, but speaking in serious since then, the times was changes a lot and an song like this is an truly gem it would be very well appreciated :)

lowyby
1st August 2011, 02:33
Andorra ; Montenegro ; Chezh Republic ; Liechtenstein ; Luxembourg ; Monaco & Kosovo. Europe would be complete then
Okay, okay not the Vatican but that's impossible ;p
And it'd be 50 candidates ; perfect number isn't it (:
22 per semi-final & 6 automatic qualifiers; perfect isn't it (:

CC92
1st August 2011, 02:55
I do love Arabic music hence why I voted substitutional for all of them for Tunisia here. Actually I want every EBU country to be in although I fear with certain countries the proportion of cheesy and dull stuff would heavily increase.

elvisontheisland
1st August 2011, 15:13
A simple question: Is Kosovo actually an independent state or republic now? I've heard that it won't be until Serbia recognizes it as such.

goktengri
1st August 2011, 15:40
A simple question: Is Kosovo actually an independent state or republic now? I've heard that it won't be until Serbia recognizes it as such.

It has a government, it has state agencies, legislative systems, elections etc. so it is independent even though some countries ignore it ! they can't change the fact.

Milos-BC
1st August 2011, 16:35

The answer is easy - Kosovo is a part of Serbia ;) When the majority of nations recognize it, when we recognize it, when it begins to participate in all international events, then we will all treat as a country. "till then, it is nothing from what you mentioned here.

it is independent even though some countries ignore it

It is not independent even though the countries who "recognized" it ignore it.

doctormalisimo
1st August 2011, 16:56
Kosovo in ESC would be good for Serbia....more guaranteed points :mrgreen:

Milos-BC
1st August 2011, 16:57
Actually, that day when and if Kosovo enters Serbia will withdraw. That is 99% guaranteed, and our broadcaster stated that as well.

goktengri
1st August 2011, 17:07
It is not independent even though the countries who "recognized" it ignore it.

It is. Unrecognized status of the country doesn't change this fact. You don't get what I mean.

doctormalisimo
1st August 2011, 17:08
Aw that's a shame :(
Eurovision is supposed to unite Europe and help build bridges. That would do the opposite :(

CC92
1st August 2011, 17:16
Probably one year Kosovo entering, the year after Serbia, and so on?

Milos-BC
1st August 2011, 17:32
It is. Unrecognized status of the country doesn't change this fact. You don't get what I mean.

The only fact is that we don't watch Kosovo in any international competitions (if we discount one participation of Miss Kosovo on the Miss Universe competition, but I better not say how it happened that Kosovo took part there.), we don't watch it on ESC, and that is the only fact. I can say tomorrow that Izmir is a country, and that we will only wait for it to get recognized as a country, the fact is that it is a country because I and my fellow school classmates said so :)

Only "Kosovo" or Serbia as a whole will participate in ESC, no other way. For me personally, second option is better, as Kosovo is already in ESC in that case.

elvisontheisland
1st August 2011, 17:56
The only fact is that we don't watch Kosovo in any international competitions (if we discount one participation of Miss Kosovo on the Miss Universe competition, but I better not say how it happened that Kosovo took part there.), we don't watch it on ESC, and that is the only fact. I can say tomorrow that Izmir is a country, and that we will only wait for it to get recognized as a country, the fact is that it is a country because I and my fellow school classmates said so :)

Only "Kosovo" or Serbia as a whole will participate in ESC, no other way. For me personally, second option is better, as Kosovo is already in ESC in that case.
You're right, sure, Kosovo hasn't participated in a lot of international competitions yet, but they don't have to just to be recognized as a sovereign state.

I don't think a Serb would ever say something like

Well, y'know, they take part in Eurovision by themselves, now we recognize them as independent.

The unfortunate thing is, that, at least from my minimal political knowledge about the Kosovan conflict, the people actually want independence of Serbia. It is the Serbian government that makes that undertaking so much more difficult, which actually surprises me, because of how many splits-off Serbia (or dare I say the remainders of Yugoslavia) have already had to experience over the past 15-20 years.

I don't want to offend Serbia or Serbs in any way, but what was once Yugoslavia is no more. State seperations happen anytime all over the world (South Sudan being a commendable instance), why not just let it be? Is it any resources? Strategically important borders? Or simply envy of land?

I didn't intend to make this into a political discussion, but since we've already started...

I wouldn't mind Kosovo taking part in the ESC, so long as it doesn't influence Serbia's participation and if so, both should be excluded, to be perfectly honest. Eurovision is not about political mini-dose aftershocks, it's about music. Period.

goktengri
1st August 2011, 18:06

Comparing it with a city ? Kosovo has a government which was chosen by elections, it has a parliament, it has a constitution, it has judiciary etc. they all are necessary for working functions of a state. Kosovo fullfils the requirements of being a state. Recognize it or not, it is a independent state at all. That's what you ignore.

Milos-BC
1st August 2011, 18:21
^^ You ignore the fact that it is not chosen by elections. Kosovo didn't become what is now because people wanted so, but because of a political interest of the world leaders. And even with that, a majority of countries still doesn't recognize them, and as such, we won't see them in ESC or in any other international competition under regular conditions.

escYOUnited
1st August 2011, 18:23
Please remember that this is not the place to discuss politics. Your opinion on the Kosovo vs Serbia conflict should be discussed HERE (http://www.esctodayforum.com/forumdisplay.php?175-Politics-Say-It-Out-Loud-Peace-Will-Come&order=desc)

eerik
1st August 2011, 18:47
I would not mind seeing European countries returning/debuting to the contest, but I do not want to see any African or Asian country returning/debuting. No offence, but we already have enough transcontinental/non-European countries. I also don't want to see any political issues, so no Kosovo.

MyHeartIsYours
1st August 2011, 19:34
Kosovo should join, whether or not they are recognised by other countries doesnt matter. Israel isnt recognised by many for example. And also, there are many countries with territorial disputes who manage to be part of Eurovision together (UK and Spain, Russia and Georgia, Azerbaijan and Armenia) so I dont see why Serbia and Kosovo should not be able to do the same.

goktengri
1st August 2011, 20:04
Kosovo should join, whether or not they are recognised by other countries doesnt matter. Israel isnt recognised by many for example. And also, there are many countries with territorial disputes who manage to be part of Eurovision together (UK and Spain, Russia and Georgia, Azerbaijan and Armenia) so I dont see why Serbia and Kosovo should not be able to do the same.

The best example is Turkey and Cyprus. We don't recognize them but I could be able to vote for Republic of Cyprus in 2010 :mrgreen: PM said '' There is no a state Republic of Cyprus, we don't recognize it '' but we can see the name and the flag in state's television :lol:

Well, when somebody sees eurovision as just fun and music, others like to pollute it with their political interests. Personally I don't accept Cyprus too but I have no problem with them in eurovision. But some people are not so grown...

Matt
1st August 2011, 20:39
RTK has shown interest into obtaining active EBU membership. However, they have yet to fulfil all the criteria set by the EBU for admission.

We shouldn't discussing if Kosovo should or should not join, that's not for us to decide or judge. Fact is that Kosovo cannot join EBU at this point so there is no need to argue about it. Once they will they are going to be able to join the contest. Until then I don't really see the purpose of discussing this.

Once membership has been approved Kosovo will be eligible to enter the contest. And again, it's not our place to decide if it's right or wrong.

Sabiondo
1st August 2011, 23:02
Ohh if Kosovo take part.. Why not South Ossetia, Abkhazia and Transnistria ..?? If Kosovo came to be accepted in the EBU, they would also automatically eligible to compete ... and you know that meant if that happen :twisted:

Interrail
2nd August 2011, 01:30
Oh, this was debated so many times here (Kosovo), I can't understand ppl think Kosovo can join ESC, in situation when RTK itself doesn't meet criteria for EBU. One thing is what u want, and another thing is what u can.
@GokTengri - many regions and cities (actually all that I know in Europe) have its government and parliament but it doesn't make them a state.
@elvisontheisland - Kosovo had always been part of Serbia, not a separate republic in Yugoslavia. That's a big difference that ppl like to ignore.
As for Kosovo - I try to be realist, I know Serbia isn't influential or anything, and EBU will not ask Serbia for opinion, but there r many other countries who don't recognize Kosovo either, and they take part in ESC...(Greece, Cyprus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Spain, Romania, Slovakia, Belarus, Ukraine, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Moldova, Armenia, Israel, Russia), why and how would they vote for a 'county' that they don't recognize?? That's crazy.
@Sabiondo - u right. If Kosovo can join ESC, than automatically other break away provinces should be able to (Transnistria, Abkhazia, South Ossetia), they also have governments and parliaments, limited recognition and don't meet EBU criteria.
I think Kosovo can join one day in future, but they should be fully recognized country, like others...part of UN, and every agreement is possible with Serbia as long it's a FAIR agreement (not what it is now). And in this Serbia is extremely flexible, but every agreement needs 2 sides.

And moreover, even if Kosovo is 100% fully totally independent and 100% recognized...I would prefer Albania+Kosovo to compete in ESC as 1 country. Because it is 1 Albanian nation, same language and everything.....and no need for 1 nation to participate twice. With this system...for example...Germany could participate 5 times and more if they count every federal state and Russia 10 times per year.
1 nation = 1 song.
1 nation shouldn't be represented by 2 songs in ESC.

MyHeartIsYours
2nd August 2011, 01:41
I agree with what Altug has written. He's said that his country participates with Cyprus, a country they do not recognise, so why cant some of the EBU members particpate with a member they dont recognise either? That's right. As I said before, there are many countries with territorial disputes which participate together in Eurovision but it shouldnt make a difference because Eurovision isnt a political event. And what about the countries that do recognise Kosovo, do their opinions not count as much as those that dont?
Im not mentioning my political view on Kosovo, I've already said it in the politics forum, but I cant say it's okay for a European country which is well within the boundaries of political, geographical and cultural Europe to be not allowed to join. As for the other countries/regions/etc, I think they should be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. You cant say that all the situations are the same.

Also, Kosovo is an observer member of the EBU and has participated fully in another Eurovision network competition, Eurovision Young Dancers, so how Eurovision Song Contest is any different I dont know.

goktengri
2nd August 2011, 01:46
Eurovision is just music and fun. I don't think states participate. It's for nations. Even autonomus nations should be able to join as well. Their political situations should not be cared.

MyHeartIsYours
2nd August 2011, 01:52
Well I dont think autonomous regions should be allowed to join, I think they should have to be fully independent. It's just with Kosovo that it very much depends on whether or not you recognise Kosovo as independent.
And I understand that it's very difficult for Serbian people because if I put myself in their shoes than I would most likely have the same opinion. That's why I think that Kosovo's participation should be at least acceptable to both sides; we shouldnt just say right they're joining in next year when some countries have reservations about that, and they shouldnt say either that Kosovo can never join, because other people have reservations about that.

MyHeartIsYours
23rd August 2011, 22:19
LIBYA! :D It can be their reward for bravery!

A-lister
25th August 2011, 03:18
LIBYA! :D It can be their reward for bravery!

Bravery for what exactly? Clans fighting a dictator with the intention of installing a new dictatorship? (Sharia-law is already written in the new provisional constitution).

Thank you but no thanks. I can't picture any of the North-African countries currently in Eurovision (with a slight exception for maybe Morocco or Tunisia).

Anyway I stick to my firm believe that Eurovision is already big as it is and all the geographical European countries (and the few extra we got) is just about enough before making it way too big for its own good.

I also stick to my opinion about it's being a European contest (hello the name speaks for itself!?) (meaning the countries and not necessarily nationalities of performers just to make things clear) and I don't think it should be used as some political tool (it's already too much of that already).

Nikoreindeer1973
25th August 2011, 09:43
Kazakhstan for ESC

A-lister
25th August 2011, 14:06
Kazakhstan for ESC

This I agree with. If Turkey can take part (which has a smaller geographical part in Europe) then obviously Kazakhstan should be able to take part aswell.

AlekS
25th August 2011, 14:11
^ xyeah

MyHeartIsYours
27th August 2011, 00:38
Bravery for what exactly? Clans fighting a dictator with the intention of installing a new dictatorship? (Sharia-law is already written in the new provisional constitution).

Thank you but no thanks. I can't picture any of the North-African countries currently in Eurovision (with a slight exception for maybe Morocco or Tunisia).

Anyway I stick to my firm believe that Eurovision is already big as it is and all the geographical European countries (and the few extra we got) is just about enough before making it way too big for its own good.

I also stick to my opinion about it's being a European contest (hello the name speaks for itself!?) (meaning the countries and not necessarily nationalities of performers just to make things clear) and I don't think it should be used as some political tool (it's already too much of that already).
I wasnt being totally serious :mrgreen:. As I've said before I agree with your view that Eurovision should be European :). I cant support Morocco re-joining ever again not because I have anything against them but because they are not geographically or culturally European. If they were allowed to join, then any other North African/Middle Eastern country would have to be allowed also, and in a way, the thought of the Pyramids and Petra in Eurovision sounds romantic, I think it would mean Eurovision would loose it's purpose and charm.
I'll throw another country into the hat though, they are quite far from Europe but culturally they are associated with Portugal and politically they are hoping to one day join the EU, moving closer to Europe all the time. Cape Verde :D.

Loukas
2nd September 2011, 13:18
I think Liechtenstein will debut in the near future.
Luxembourg? I'm not sure yet. Maybe they'll come back when the ESC will be held in the Netherlands or Belgium.

Nikoreindeer1973
3rd September 2011, 16:30
I hope for Vaduz or San Marino 2013. :mrgreen:

RomanFromRussia
4th September 2011, 06:06
I hope for Vaduz or San Marino 2013. :mrgreen:

I Hope for this too:lol:

CPV4931
4th September 2011, 15:22
Yes, Pro Vaduz 2013 :-)

I could travel by car ^^

A-lister
6th September 2011, 22:12
I wasnt being totally serious :mrgreen:. As I've said before I agree with your view that Eurovision should be European :). I cant support Morocco re-joining ever again not because I have anything against them but because they are not geographically or culturally European. If they were allowed to join, then any other North African/Middle Eastern country would have to be allowed also, and in a way, the thought of the Pyramids and Petra in Eurovision sounds romantic, I think it would mean Eurovision would loose it's purpose and charm.
I'll throw another country into the hat though, they are quite far from Europe but culturally they are associated with Portugal and politically they are hoping to one day join the EU, moving closer to Europe all the time. Cape Verde :D.

I see ;)

Well that's why I reacted because I remembered our previous discussions on the subject and that we have a similar opinion on this.

Cap Verde? lol.

Well, I think it should be kept as it is and I can only see the other geographical European countries that has yet to enter once debuting. It has to do with the whole concept of Eurovision, but also not to make it ridiculously too big for its own good.

CC92
8th October 2011, 19:08
^ I do not see the problem. Eurovision is defined and limited already. It is similar to but not identical to the geographical Europe and it never was. I mean, why not to have for example arabic countries in? They could contribute to more diversity and excitement. Probably bring fresh spirit and encouragement as the Easteners did in the 00's. I would not advise them to enter exactly now because of the current situation that would not do them a favour but that is a different story. In general I welcome every EBU member taking part.

A-lister
8th October 2011, 19:17
^ I do not see the problem. Eurovision is defined and limited already. It is similar to but not identical to the geographical Europe and it never was. I mean, why not to have for example arabic countries in? They could contribute to more diversity and excitement. Probably bring fresh spirit and encouragement as the Easteners did in the 00's. I would not advise them to enter exactly now because of the current situation that would not do them a favour but that is a different story. In general I welcome every EBU member taking part.

Because it's EUROvision and not EUROABIA/WORLDvision simply. Atleast that's my personal opinion.

Also, I think it would get too big for its own good.

Yamarus
8th October 2011, 19:40
Eurovision is the brand that the EBU uses. It's not related to geographical Europe but to the European Broadcasting Area. The Eurovision Song Contest is an EBU event and as such, any EBU member should be entitled to participate if it wishes so.

A-lister
8th October 2011, 20:06
Eurovision is the brand that the EBU uses. It's not related to geographical Europe but to the European Broadcasting Area. The Eurovision Song Contest is an EBU event and as such, any EBU member should be entitled to participate if it wishes so.

I know this very well, but it doesn't change my opinion though.

And Eurovision was created back in the day as an entertainment project of brining the European broadcasters together (with the help of EBU: one out of many projects created after WW2 to bring this continent together).

Although now EBU has grown, I still think there's a history to this concept not to be forgotten.

But it seems there will always be two sides on this issue: one believing there's no limit for the growth of Eurovision, and one that basically wants to keep it more close to its roots. I can't help but belonging to the second one.

PeterLPZ
21st October 2011, 13:45

I agree with you.

Sabiondo
22nd December 2011, 14:20
The rules at Eurovision Song contest had been changed. If a channel is in the process of becoming an EBU member, they can already apply for Eurovision even if they’re not a full member yet. The deadline to send in the needed application papers was the beginning of december. Due to this new rule, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Liechtenstein, Palestine, the Morroco 2TV, even Scottland may have apply for Eurovision and in case their application to become an EBU member is accepted already, could participate in the Eurovision Song Contest as well.

http://eurovisiontimes.wordpress.com/2011/12/21/morocco-return-to-eurovision-still-possible/

bubblingtrue
4th March 2012, 21:16
Would love to see Luxembourg back...

MyHeartIsYours
31st May 2012, 00:04
The United Kingdom and Scandinavian countries are demanding that all Eurovision participants must be democratic, and that no dictatorships must ever participate (that would rule out the participation of all Arabic and North African nations apart from Iraq and possibly Libya/Egypt, as well as current participants Azerbaijan and Belarus).
The details of the new rules have been presented at a meeting attended by representatives of the national broadcasters of Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland.
In addition, the United Kingdom and Austria are in favour of further tightening the rules with new ethical standards by giving the EBU the right to exclude existing members or prevent them from participating in the Eurovision Song Contest if they are in breach of human rights and democracy.

The proposals will be discussed and voted at the EBU conference in Strasbourg in late June.

Source - Belgovision

If this happens it will be brilliant! It's a way overdue addition to the rules imo!

Sean
31st May 2012, 09:54
^ But that goes against the EBU's ethos of Eurovision being apolitical :lol:

MyHeartIsYours
31st May 2012, 12:09
Human rights aren't political!

AlekS
31st May 2012, 13:47
In addition, the United Kingdom and Austria are in favour of further tightening the rules with new ethical standards by giving the EBU the right to exclude existing members or prevent them from participating in the Eurovision Song Contest if they are in breach of human rights and democracy.

Human rights aren't political!
Nope they are.
Please avoid posting discriminative political subjects in ESC sub-forums in the future.

^ But that goes against the EBU's ethos of Eurovision being apolitical :lol:
Exactly :lol:

rajo
31st May 2012, 18:23
Where did my post go about the ARD vs. EBU?