-has to have roots in another country
-has to be loved by me in his first year

Based on that, I DEMAND a Jessy Matador return. xbounce

tuorem
11th May 2019, 15:12
Based on that, I DEMAND a Jessy Matador return. xbounce

https://hostpic.xyz/files/15575755672801488424.png

:lol:

Honestly, even with Destination Eurovision next year, I highly doubt we'll see past representatives or candidates. It seems like we don't have that "tradition" in France.

And even if Matador happened to return, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that he'd win our NF because 1) he isn't known, which is a hindrance compared to more famous acts, and 2) it seems upbeat, lighthearted and modern songs (sadly) have been the perfect recipe for failure in DE so far.

Personally, regardless of the singer, I hope we'll send something that people abroad don't expect us to pick, something daring. But given how viewers and juries voted in the last two editions, we will once again send something lukewarm with a pseudo-message. :?

DaFlo
12th May 2019, 16:09
Go back to internals and pick one of them:

Gesaffelstein
Kavinsky
Hyphen Hyphen
Soprano
Ridsa
Shy'm

Stargazer
15th May 2019, 21:48
Would love to see some ::brit representation in Eurovision again! France's 1996 entry is my all-time favorite. xheart

So either a return of Dan Ar Braz or a debut of Nolwenn Leroy or Cécile Corbel would be fantastic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nFs1WJoCcc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRrZFL3z0aY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60HkSUVxHX0

Eulaliya
16th May 2019, 18:53
Yara Lapidus for DE pls xpray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW7KN9DKvLg

Edweis
20th May 2019, 17:39
Go back to internals and pick one of them:

Gesaffelstein
Kavinsky
Hyphen Hyphen
Soprano
Ridsa
Shy'm

As much as I would like to see Hyphen Hyphen, there're two problems : 1) they have no reason to participate, they're quite well known outside France and 2) the language.
You see, there's one condition the artist, whoever they may be, should respect if they want a shot at being loved by the French public : sing in French or a regional language.
Sing the entire song in English and beware of the scandal :mrgreen:

FRFanESC
22nd May 2019, 00:23
Omg, "Entendez-vous" from Cécile Corbel, I love this song so much. I'd love to hear something like this.

About the processus of the selection, I really would like us to come back to an internal selection. Even if it lasts just a year but I'd like to see what Steven could give us. Edoardo gave a 6th place to France. I'm sure that Steven could bring us at least the same result (he brought us a 2nd place at the JESC).

So that we can bring Destination Eurovision in 2021 and the public will feel more invested after the possible top 10 from the internal selection.

A pop uptempo song would be good, a song that everyone will like at the first listen, this is what we need, a bop. Because, as Tuorem said it, Destination Eurovision viewers will never vote for a bop, excepted if it is sung by Kendji, lol.

r3gg13
23rd May 2019, 08:12
To quote one of Bilal's song, "don't be basic." France has been pushing the envelope the past 2 years with fairly edgy songs (far from basic). I hope that continues this year.

Alaska49
31st May 2019, 04:34
To quote one of Bilal's song, "don't be basic." France has been pushing the envelope the past 2 years with fairly edgy songs (far from basic). I hope that continues this year.
oooooh, don't dare to say roi wasn't basic, you will get murdered by the seemone police for telling the truth!!!

i have little problems with DE so far but i do think france should reward something not midtempo next time. either go all out ballad (NOT A BAD ONE THOUGH thank you) or give us a banger. either way, DE is good, y'all just need to ditch international juries (as does everyone forever - am i a-listing too much about them? lmao).

Antho
1st June 2019, 21:06
I don't know if I can trust DE anymore. There's always a lot of good songs, but the way they were all eliminated this year kinda scares me for next year's selection. As Alaska49 said, I think we should get rid of the juries. Steven (HOD) knows what he's doing, I know he's not going to let us down, I can't wait to see what he'll be doing next year.

We could just send Florina tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT3Jcx1-FCw

tuorem
1st June 2019, 21:38
Without the juries, Battista Acquaviva, Florina and Gabriella would have qualified over Sylvàn Areg, Aysat and Doutson. But ultimately we would have had Hassani anyway.

If they want to keep juries and not have 100% televoting semis, at least they could bring back the French ones, and have the international ones for the final only so that they cannot sabotage the selection.

Whatever France 2 will do (should they continue DE), I won't hold my breath because I feel like neither juries nor viewers supported the right acts these first two editions. :lol: Now that we have a HoD who can concoct us good stagings, we have to think out-of-the-box musically, not eternally rely on humanist messages or typical French ballads.

Right now, I'm just hoping for a decent selection with maybe a few promising efforts.

I want us to send a refreshing sound next year, something that stands out and that people don't expect from France.

Alaska49
1st June 2019, 23:49
more than any other country, france needs to draw a page from italy's book. the industry there is too big and too proud for them to not be able to set up something that can attract more interesting names and more visionary compositions. obviously it would never be at the level of sanremo because that one has decades of tradition and eurovision is an afterthought, but still, the potential is there.

also sanremo DOESN'T HAVE INTERNATIONAL JURIES SQUASH THEMMMM

harey
3rd June 2019, 15:10
Haha, Jessy Matador is my favorite recent French entry but as said before I'm pretty sure that no party song will win DE. (Comme une grande was my favourite this year but we all know how it ended for her).

I really like DE because it puts more attention to Eurovision here in France and it makes me happy but I think that it will be difficult to get daring songs winning.

I come from Brittany and of course it would make me happy to have something from here in DE. But maybe something more modern and sung in breton or something with a good atmosphere because I don't think that purely traditionnal music could work. (I don't like Nolwenn Leroy at all, haha)

My favourite french band (and wish they could represent us even if I know they wont because they even don't think in french and I don't think they are interested) is the dø. I wish we could have something of the same style than la vague by Izia because it's full of energy

BorisBubbles
3rd June 2019, 21:11
Comme une grande was also not very good live. A party song could definitely win if it survives the transition (which isn't self-explanatory, since most of them don't).

Personally I have no real wishlist for France but I do hope they can do better than last year. D:E 2019 wasn't bad, but there was so much amateur shit clogging up the heats.

Loindici
5th June 2019, 16:48
France... actualy picks quite intersting big names this year (Chimene Badi, Bilal Hassani, Emmanuel Moire) but they didn't bring more competitive songs. Next time they do DE it's better to make the songs on a same level altogether. I trust Steven Clerima, but there's a need to take a break from a star like Bilal for a season.

Sean
9th June 2019, 21:21
Bleu Toucan

https://youtu.be/ILP3KAVfKLs

Polo & Pan

https://youtu.be/gB98kRDUTM4

Therapie Taxi

https://youtu.be/NThOdQNXt1c

Loindici
12th June 2019, 09:56
By the way, any chances of someone like Indila to be shortlisted?

Citelis
12th June 2019, 14:16
By the way, any chances of someone like Indila to be shortlisted?

Speaking of Indila is she still alive ?

tuorem
12th June 2019, 15:30
Indila got lost in the wilderness years ago. No one really knows if she will ever come back.

We tried to copy her style with Alma in 2017, but it wasn't on the same level musically and vocally.

In 2014 when she promoted her album, an interviewer told her we could have a serious chance to win if she represented us, and she replied something along those lines: "That's flattering, thank you! I have been asked about Eurovision a lot recently. I was very surprised because it is like an exclusivity to me. I didn't think I had what it takes as an artist to represent France, so I was very pleased. However I think I would decline such a nice offer because it means lots of pressure and responsibilities: I would not like to disappoint the country. Also, more publicity than I already have in the media would not help!"

Would she change her mind now? Who knows? It would already be a miracle if she released new music to begin with.

While we're at it, Najoua Belyzel, the artist Indila was compared to when she debuted, was offered to go to Eurovision with her song "Luna" (presumably in 2015). But she rejected the proposal because she never was drawn to the contest and couldn't imagine undergoing the preparation required to get there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAM7fj1ARvg

Zonne147
12th June 2019, 15:43
::fr is one of the few countries I agree with EVERY single result in the last 5 years (maybe I would put Mercy a bit lower and J'ai Cherché a bit higher - one of my absolute favourites of 2016).

I can't say anything bad about France, but I know they can do better.

Ezio
15th June 2019, 12:07
It just struck me that France started off as favourite for the win four times in this decade (2011, 2016, 2018, 2019), but ended up in the Top 10 only once.

Could not have been more underrated?

Hola España, que tal? Te sientes infravalorada también? Qué pena!

Loindici
16th June 2019, 05:07
It just struck me that France started off as favourite for the win four times in this decade (2011, 2016, 2018, 2019), but ended up in the Top 10 only once.

Could not have been more underrated?

Hola España, que tal? Te sientes infravalorada también? Qué pena!

Doesn't that mean ::fr is actually overrated?

John1
16th June 2019, 12:58
Please revert back to an internal selection ASAP. They could have internally selected Gabriella or Florina... xshrug what a waste

Edweis
16th June 2019, 20:22
Please revert back to an internal selection ASAP. They could have internally selected Gabriella or Florina... xshrug what a waste

When you see the 2012-2015 disaster, internal selection didn't do us much good...
However I'll admit that there's still a better chance of getting a Top 5 with an internal selection, implied they use the 'right' criteria. Nowadays with the public vote there's too much bias, as we saw this year with Bilal's fanbase.

I would like for 2020 something out of the box, something we couldn't have expected from France. I didn't like Portugal's song this year but at least it was inovative. I'm afraid however these potential artists aren't interested in participating in ESC, so no matter if it's DE or an IS.

John1
16th June 2019, 20:50
Nowadays with the public vote there's too much bias, as we saw this year with Bilal's fanbase.

Oh God, do not even remind me of painful memories, which occurred a while ago. I was so upset with this incredible yet ridiculously huge amount of points awarded to Bilal by the televote. That's how you ruin a whole national final by selecting someone, who wasn't even able to hit a single note correctly. xcookie

Antho
18th June 2019, 15:12
As crazy as it may sound, France Télévision wants to win Eurovision, more than ever. The man responsible of the program and the editorial strategy of the group promised to the president they would win the contest. Let's hope we won't be disappointed. Honestly, I hope we come back to an internal selection, I'm afraid a national selection would f**k everything up.

Alaska49
18th June 2019, 18:31
unless something like a duncan laurence with an arcade knocks on your door, something that will clearly do incredibly well and is leaps better than anything else you received, you do a NF. it's just a better choice if you can afford it. DE should stay and is on the right traxk anyway.

John1
18th June 2019, 18:45
DE is on the right traxk anyway.

http://www.lovethisgif.com/uploaded_images/141451-Birthing-The-Famous-no-Baby-No-Gif-Of-Nicole-Scherzinger-The-Moment-....gif

As crazy as it may sound, France Télévision wants to win Eurovision, more than ever. The man responsible of the program and the editorial strategy of the group promised to the president they would win the contest. Let's hope we won't be disappointed. Honestly, I hope we come back to an internal selection, I'm afraid a national selection would f**k everything up.

source?

Antho
18th June 2019, 19:01
source?
https://twitter.com/anaelgr/status/1140946859294429184

John1
18th June 2019, 20:33
https://twitter.com/anaelgr/status/1140946859294429184

There's one way to do so, scrap the main part of DE's format and try to make something new out of it. :)

harey
19th June 2019, 18:02
I don't agree with you on this : an internal selection doesn't mean that we would get a better song than with a national final. And I think that having a NF is really important here because it puts more interest into the context amongst french people and thats something we need if we want france television to keep promote esc every year.

Sean
19th June 2019, 22:01
SACRE

https://youtu.be/KPWa7NrI_p0

harey
2nd July 2019, 21:51
Yseult maybe? I really like her music! She was on the French jury back in 2015 a d worked on Là-Haut by Chimène Badi. She isn't really famous in France but she works with a lot of musicians and is connected to esc.

https://youtu.be/SiuYqn3SiJY

John1
2nd July 2019, 21:55
Yseult maybe? I really like her music! She was on the French jury back in 2015 a d worked on Là-Haut by Chimène Badi. She isn't really famous in France but she works with a lot of musicians and is connected to esc.

https://youtu.be/SiuYqn3SiJY

This entry is hands down miles ahead of all DE songs up until now.

tuorem
2nd July 2019, 22:12

Personally, I find "Rien A Prouver" fantastic: an atmospheric entry like that would be great for us. The lyrics are meaningful as well, it's the story of her life as an artist in four minutes.

Yseult has always been talented (and she's a beauty xheart). The question is: would she be interested in taking part in the contest herself? We don't even know what she thinks of the contest, do we? xthink

From what I've seen on social media, she seems to be a rather assertive and eccentric character. I think we need more artists like her, rather than interchangeable singers with no clear artistic vision.

harey
2nd July 2019, 22:28
tuorem I have no idea. I just randomly thought about her!

Mainshow
3rd July 2019, 01:01
If France wants to make a difference and end up being Top 3 in the televoting, they need to send Luc Arbogast.

randajad
3rd July 2019, 09:20
Is Kendji Girac still doing well or he can enter Eurovision finally?

Edweis
3rd July 2019, 11:02
Is Kendji Girac still doing well or he can enter Eurovision finally?

Nope, still doing okay :lol:
Or rather I think so, I'm not a fan so I don't follow his every move but he has no reason to participate in ESC.

Yseult has always been talented (and she's a beauty xheart). The question is: would she be interested in taking part in the contest herself? We don't even know what she thinks of the contest, do we? xthink

From what I've seen on social media, she seems to be a rather assertive and eccentric character. I think we need more artists like her, rather than interchangeable singers with no clear artistic vision.

This is our main problem. We have great artists with their own universe but they show no interest in participating in ESC, which leaves us with all the talent show rejects.
As for Yseult, she's okay without being a fav (Rien à Prouver is the song I like the least btw) but I would rather see someone like her than what we had in DE.

If France wants to make a difference and end up being Top 3 in the televoting, they need to send Luc Arbogast.

Ahaha why not, it would be interesting for sure :lol:

Antho
3rd July 2019, 20:31
I love Yseult and "Rien à prouver" but her behavior is really random and I don't know how it would go with the delegation.

On the other hand, this song from Prequell would have been an amazing entry with a magnificent staging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtvuWAbB6_E

Edweis
8th July 2019, 23:59
Antho Absolutely. But we both know that a song with 100% English lyrics won't be picked.

Personally, I'm sure this girl has potential :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfYY2KWS8U0

Antho
9th July 2019, 20:29
Antho Absolutely. But we both know that a song with 100% English lyrics won't be picked.

Personally, I'm sure this girl has potential :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfYY2KWS8U0
I love Eugénie too but I'm not sure she's really into Eurovision.. sadly.

Loindici
10th July 2019, 10:25
Doesn't mean Yseult should be the main artist, perhaps she's more comfortable being a composer? I'd like her to return composing.

Mrm
11th July 2019, 00:04
Aya Nakamura?

tuorem
11th July 2019, 14:38
Aya Nakamura?

She's too famous and successful to even consider applying for Eurovision imo. Not sure she'd be interested anyway.

I guess it would be more likely to have her as a songwriter (like Maitre Gims for Louka in Destination Eurovision 2018) than as a singer.

Mrm
11th July 2019, 16:57
She's too famous and successful to even consider applying for Eurovision imo. Not sure she'd be interested anyway.

I guess it would be more likely to have her as a songwriter (like Maitre Gims for Louka in Destination Eurovision 2018) than as a singer.

I know! :(

But who knows!!

I watched French movie "Yao" few days ago! What a wonderful movie! xheart

Antho
24th July 2019, 18:15
Still no news about DE. Either they're scheduling it later (that would be great tbh), either it's cancelled (that would be fine too)

John1
24th July 2019, 19:27
^

Oh please, have it cancelled. xpray

Loindici
25th July 2019, 01:36
Why cancel it? :confused:

FRFanESC
25th July 2019, 02:48
In 2017 and 2018, they officially opened submissions on june 21th. But this year, nothing has been announced yet. In the end of may 2019, I asked to our head of delegation on twitter if Destination Eurovision would come back or they would go back with an internal selection, he told me they were still reflecting for several options. They probably decided to go with an internal selection and honestly, I'm so happy with it. Anyway, I really don't think DE is planned for february because even if it was the case, it would not have prevented them to opened the submissions for next year, all the more that they are going to be very busy during the next weeks with the junior contest. For the moment, our head of delegation is on holidays so I don't think we will get some news for the next days.

John1
27th July 2019, 22:01

Why? Having any fan favorites winning it solely on the base of a huge fanbase would be a huge and heavy burden to carry over the years to follow. To be honest, I'm glad that Lisandro lost it to MM back in 2018, but hey, if it were truly up to songs and stuff, Bilal wouldn't even have stood a chance to make it through to the final of DE.

I say, get rid of this awful selection process and revert back to an internal selection ASAP. Amir and Alma did way better than those, who were picked out thanks to DE, even though MM did quite great, despite being predicted to end up much higher.

FRFanESC
28th July 2019, 15:27
Absolutely, with Steven Clerima (our new head of delegation), if we can get both the song + the staging at the same time, we'll definitely be back in the top 10, and even more, next year (I really hope so).

John1
28th July 2019, 17:28
Absolutely, with Steven Clerima (our new head of delegation), if we can get both the song + the staging at the same time, we'll definitely be back in the top 10, and even more, next year (I really hope so).

I assume that the staging is much better with Steven than Edoardo Grassi. The latter didn't even try to learn from his mistakes: his ideas regarding staging were always the best according to him. :lol:

Loindici
28th July 2019, 17:58
I have to agree, DE's system has numerous incoherence. Considering this was a show to select the national entry, it has several crucial problems: no power to the French jury, 20 international juries, different sets of juries in semifinal and final, no televote capping, and so on.

I'm okay if they would go internal, but I don't want DE to go so soon :( probably 1-2 years of internal selection would be good to provide re-evaluation of DE before they could possibly launch it back.

John1
28th July 2019, 19:09
I have to agree, DE's system has numerous incoherence. Considering this was a show to select the national entry, it has several crucial problems: no power to the French jury, 20 international juries, different sets of juries in semifinal and final, no televote capping, and so on.

I'm okay if they would go internal, but I don't want DE to go so soon :( probably 1-2 years of internal selection would be good to provide re-evaluation of DE before they could possibly launch it back.

The main issue of this selection process is the fact that they show the whole results (televoting + jury voting) for every semi-final instead of just announcing those who made it through and those who didn't. To be honest, it comes out that people are influenced and incitated to vote for the ones, who didn't gather that many points.

How on the Earth, when you decide to hold a NF, do you choose to show split results right from the beginning rather than just maintaining some tension and suspense??? It doesn't make any sense.

FRFanESC
29th July 2019, 22:13

Yes, this is exactly what I want : go with an internal selection one year or two (and getting good results) and then come back with DE but with some changes : a show with 10 songs for a single evening, a big show in a big Arena and amazing stagings like Australia Decides, weight the televote results and make the whole thing around the 10th/20th of february.

Start a national final after Alma's disappointing 12th place (which actually is not that bad but for french, it was a bit "meh" after Amir's 6th place).

randajad
30th July 2019, 00:14
I actually liked quite a bit both editons of DE songwise, but that voting system and all was very romanian. And these changes a la Australia Decides with arena concert and all would really benefit the overall look and auality of the show, and in some years in the future why not a regular festival. The thing is that I think that would not be interesting for French broadcaster in the terms of money, financing and such stuff. Also I always tought good results are 1-15, mediocre 16-20, and bad 21-27 (never forget 2015 :mrgreen:).

tuorem
30th July 2019, 00:51
Also I always tought good results are 1-15, mediocre 16-20, and bad 21-27 (never forget 2015 :mrgreen:).

So far though, I'm under the impression only Amir didn't disappear after Eurovision. Was it because of his top ten placing? I don't know. But Alma - whose result was more than decent - stopped getting media coverage, her song wasn't played on the radios and her album wasn't promoted iirc.

I'm not sure if I could include Madame Monsieur in that category as I didn't follow their journey, but I don't feel like I've seen or heard about them a lot since "Mercy".

Our problem is that the media (along with a part of the French eurofans) always shout from the rooftops we have a realistic chance of winning every single year, even when it's obvious the competition is much tougher than what they want us to believe, and this attitude can only lead to disappointment. However, I wonder if the final outcome of our acts does have an influence on whether or not record companies, radios, the press and whatnot keep investing in our past representatives afterwards.

I fear we don't have enough distance to analyse what's going, but since 2016, it's like not reaching the top ten is considered a failure. People have a short memory, not so long ago we were bottom 5 champions.

randajad
30th July 2019, 10:20
So far though, I'm under the impression only Amir didn't disappear after Eurovision. Was it because of his top ten placing? I don't know. But Alma - whose result was more than decent - stopped getting media coverage, her song wasn't played on the radios and her album wasn't promoted iirc.

I'm not sure if I could include Madame Monsieur in that category as I didn't follow their journey, but I don't feel like I've seen or heard about them a lot since "Mercy".

Our problem is that the media (along with a part of the French eurofans) always shout from the rooftops we have a realistic chance of winning every single year, even when it's obvious the competition is much tougher than what they want us to believe, and this attitude can only lead to disappointment. However, I wonder if the final outcome of our acts does have an influence on whether or not record companies, radios, the press and whatnot keep investing in our past representatives afterwards.

I fear we don't have enough distance to analyse what's going, but since 2016, it's like not reaching the top ten is considered a failure. People have a short memory, not so long ago we were bottom 5 champions.

Same story here. Despite being imo quite succesful in the contest, Bosnians and Serbians will always say they failed unless pur entries are in the first three places, not even top 10. Also, there’s that croatian ESC portal where they every say they say their entry is the best, that they will win and how their representative isnthe best human alive ever, but after the results they either say Europe failed them on purpouse or the singer was shite. I guess you can never win with the home audience, unless you win the whole thing. I am fine with high expectations, but after you know the entry, you gotta be realistic unless you want to be disappointed. :lol:

Alma had that album, it was fine, but nothing special. To me it seems she does not try too much. Amir seemed to be quite popular after the contest, but lately I see his momentum slowing a bit. As for MM didn’t follow them much as well. :lol:

harey
30th July 2019, 13:12
tuorem funny, I have the opposite feeling : every year I read and listen to French people complaining that our entry is so bad so we could never win (no matter what the entry is)

Sammy
30th July 2019, 14:07
I honestly think Lisandro and Seemone both would have achieved a top 5 result, if not the win (especially Lisandro). Hopefully this time France will make the best decision (not saying that Madame Monsieur or Bilal were bad ones, though). It‘s about time to bring the ESC back to France. But I admit that it was a difficult choice both times. For me the Destination Eurovision was by far the best NF in both years of its existence.

tuorem
30th July 2019, 14:16
tuorem funny, I have the opposite feeling : every year I read and listen to French people complaining that our entry is so bad so we could never win (no matter what the entry is)

You're right, hence why I talked about the media and a part of the eurofans who actually shares that way of thinking. :) As you said, on the other end of the spectrum the general public (mainly) tends to be way more critical and categorical about our entries. Thankfully, we ESC United members here sit in the middle, which I think is healthier when discussing and - ultimately - reacting to our final result.

The concern I expressed is that the people who have the power to launch the career of our representative might consider that a mid-table placing is not a good enough result for them to invest more in whoever flew our flag. I hope I'm wrong, but given how our last representative haven't really capitalised on Eurovision, that's the impression I have.

BorisBubbles
30th July 2019, 14:39
I agree with the idea that France isn't going to win in the upcoming decade. If you cannot believe in your own entries, how can you possibly convince the rest of Europe to vote for you?

Besides, strong streaks come and go.Greece, Armenia, Turkey and Latvia were powerplayers during the 2000s look how well they did in the 2010s. The glory days of Ireland are in the distant past, the glory days of Azerbaijan a vague memory. The upcoming decade will probably see the end of the Russian-Swedish hegemony in favour of a different power player. France could take on that role, but it really feels like Australia and Italy will be filling up the power vacuum once Sweden inevitably NQs again.

Alaska49
30th July 2019, 16:51
i think france wins in the next decade probably lol. they have improvements to make in their selection and production, but most other countries have bigger issues. italy is really the only country doing everything right as of this moment, so unless juries decide to reward that now, the next winners will all be netta/duncan-esque one-year strokes of genius, anyway.

BorisBubbles
30th July 2019, 17:12
The only thing jurors consistently seem to reward (besides sanitised radio-friendly pop) is confident performances. ie: performances that look professional. I far from condone this twisted jury logic, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

Preuss
30th July 2019, 21:58
I agree with the idea that France isn't going to win in the upcoming decade. If you cannot believe in your own entries, how can you possibly convince the rest of Europe to vote for you?

Besides, strong streaks come and go.Greece, Armenia, Turkey and Latvia were powerplayers during the 2000s look how well they did in the 2010s. The glory days of Ireland are in the distant past, the glory days of Azerbaijan a vague memory. The upcoming decade will probably see the end of the Russian-Swedish hegemony in favour of a different power player. France could take on that role, but it really feels like Australia and Italy will be filling up the power vacuum once Sweden inevitably NQs again.

Well is it just me or has Eurovision become way more serious the latest years? I think it's hard to know really who'll be the big players the next decade but I struggle to not see Sweden and Russia to be honest whereas I feel Italy will need better jury scores and Australia better televote scores to compete with Russia and Sweden. I think I read that if you count the averages this decade, Sweden tops the list with Italy coming 2nd, Australia 3rd and Russia 4th!

Now it will change - Bulgaria had some strong years and I don't doubt they would've tried hard this year despite EQUINOX's disappointing result. Germany had some strong years. Norway, Netherlands, Austria etc

Maybe something will happen once Björkman's not in charge of Sweden anymore in 2021, but I believe he's grooming his perfect successor :lol:

FRFanESC
31st July 2019, 02:05
Alma had that album, it was fine, but nothing special. To me it seems she does not try too much. Amir seemed to be quite popular after the contest, but lately I see his momentum slowing a bit. As for MM didn’t follow them much as well. :lol:
You're wrong concerning Amir, he is still very popular in France. Lately he got one of his biggest hit "Longtemps", you know the copycat of "Perfect" from Ed Sheeran.:lol: He won "La chanson de l'année" ("the song of the year" last month, it was broadcasted on TF1 and people had to vote for their "song of the year" (it's obvious)).

Concerning France at the contest, I really think we can win. If I had to guess the winners of the next decade, I'd say : Sweden (x2), Russia (x2), France, Italy, Norway, Greece/Cyprus and two surprises countries. I want Eurovision to come back in France, I want to see this before Marie Myriam passes away (and me too, lol :lol: ).

Loindici
31st July 2019, 04:29
I have a thought that for 2020s,
• France would become a new powerhouse and win once or twice if conditions permit
• for just a year UK becomes the fan favorite and gets good placement if not winning.
• germany rethinking again and finally sends great stuff for half of the decade
• Sweden and Ukraine would qualify mostly but gets less desirable results or to the extent of unqualifying once (or again for sweden)
• Russia would somehow won once.
• To an extent, Czech Republic and Denmark start being power players
• Most of the Balkans will revenge and get good placements, also with Malta and Greece
• Norway gains their momentum again and won once
• one of the caucasus winning, as example Georgia
• Kazakhtan joining most probably when Russia or Belarus is hosting
• Italy struggling to participate because of Silvio Berlusconi
• San Marino and North Macedonia will still unqualify much although with better numbers of qualification
• A glimpse of hope on Czech Republic and Poland winning and hosting the event

randajad
31st July 2019, 11:05
You're wrong concerning Amir, he is still very popular in France. Lately he got one of his biggest hit "Longtemps", you know the copycat of "Perfect" from Ed Sheeran.:lol: He won "La chanson de l'année" (the song of the year" last month, it was broadcasted on TF1 and people had to vote for their "song of the year" (it's obvious).

Concerning France at the contest, I really think we can win. If I had to guess the winners of the next decade, I'd say : Sweden (x2), Russia (x2), France, Italy, Norway, Greece/Cyprus and two surprises countries. I want Eurovision to come back in France, I want to see this before Marie Myriam passes away (and me too, lol :lol: ).

I guess I did not pay attention enough. Love to hear he is still doing great. :D I can see France winning soon, French delegation is very close to finding the winning formula. It is sad that country with such good and big music scene, and so much musical tradition did not win at least once since 1977. Same goes for UK and Italy.

FRFanESC
31st July 2019, 16:26
• France would become a new powerhouse and win once or twice if conditions permit
• for just a year UK becomes the fan favorite and gets good placement if not winning.
• Sweden and Ukraine would qualify mostly but gets less desirable results or to the extent of unqualifying once (or again for sweden)
• Most of the Balkans will revenge and get good placements, also with Malta and Greece
• San Marino and North Macedonia will still unqualify much although with better numbers of qualification
*As a french, I think it would be so cool, we miss almost nothing to be a powerhouse of the contest, I think.
*UK doing well ? It's possible and I really hope for next year ! They could do really better.
*Same, It was so cool to see Germany on top of the board last year.
*Maybe It could happen with Ukraine but for Sweden, I really doubt, they're in the top 5 of the juries almost every year.
*Very likely.
*Denmark isn't already one ? They get good results quite often. As for Czech Republic, I could see them winning in the next decade. They've done well lately (6th in 2018, 11th in 2019, It's very impressive). Anyway, if not Czech Republic, I could see a central Europe country winning (Switzerland / Czech Republic / Austria / Poland but I want to include Germany too on the list).
*I want to see Malta and Greece on top of the board too, same for Cyprus, I want to see Cyrpus winning in the next years !
*Norway winning again, I want to see this too.
*Georgia hosting, I'd like to see this, lol.
*Kazakhstan absolutely has to take part to the contest in the next years.
*No, please #LeaveItalyAlone.
*I hope so, especially for North Macedonia, hoping that San Marino won't do well only with jokes entries and start to take the contest seriously with quality songs.
*Yes.

FRFanESC
5th August 2019, 23:12
Sadly, it seems like DE might be back next year :
https://twitter.com/BilalHassaniTV/status/1158382582628831232?s=19

The person also said below in the next tweets that he doesn't hold his information from the last rumour since yesterday night. It'll be announced soon by France TV according to him.

0scar
11th August 2019, 23:26
I'd love to see ::fr sending something like 'Requiem' next year. It was my favourite in 2017, the only thing they need to focus on more is staging. Amir's, Alma's staging were alright, but not great. Bilal's staging was way over the top.

John1
12th August 2019, 00:50
Sadly, it seems like DE might be back next year :
https://twitter.com/BilalHassaniTV/status/1158382582628831232?s=19

The person also said below in the next tweets that he doesn't hold his information from the last rumour since yesterday night. It'll be announced soon by France TV according to him.

For Godsake, please...

Loindici
12th August 2019, 02:02
I'm hoping there's a change in the new DE system.

SwedishFailurez
16th August 2019, 05:13

1. If France will redo the voting system in DE to lessen the upper hand of the televotes, France can potentially win.

2. No... BBC has really lost it long ago and they will never come back. Only a complete overhaul by another broadcaster and the Eurovision itself getting a better reputation by the British media/people can fix it. It's however not very likely, unfortunately.

3. Indeed. Kind of the same as France above, but has Germany to up their game with a better selection of songs in upcoming NFs.

4. It will be very interesting to see what will happen to Sweden when Björkman leaves. There is a risk that the 2020s may be an era of terrible results like the late 2000s if SVT relies too much on its current formula. Even the juries can't rate Sweden on top forever, if not we could send something genuine, out of the box and GREAT again. For Ukraine... I think the decent results will still be consistent if further corruption within the selection process doesn't happen again.

5. Yes, the same as Sweden above actually. If Russia will send something amazing that will convince everyone to love the song no matter what, expect Sobral/Ryback-results.

6. It's not certain, not until we know if they can play their cards right or not. Denmark has always being a mixed bag for sending overly safe songs, Czech Republic is still new in the game. Let's see what happens then.

7. For what the Balkans have been sending recently, I would bet on North Macedonia and Slovenia. Macedonia was lucky this year with disaster NF-results, the same can happen with Slovenia. Both Balkans are trying new waters and they doing really well with the fans here. All they can do is keeping trying and hope for dumb luck. The rest of the ex-Yugos relies way too much on the same thing every year. Malta will still be a jury-pleaser, they know their trump card. Greece's downward spiral can be even worse in the next decade if they don't find a way to be relevant again.

8. Yepp, Melodi Grand Prix is very reliable for a potentially good selection of songs and they have the budget to make the staging work well. Unlike Denmark and even Sweden, Norway will take chances.

9. Azerbaijan may still flop if they keep messing up with the staging (this year they did it right, however). Georgia is the Kinder Eggs of Eurovision without what we actually want, the chocolate. I would bet on Armenia right now. Their success-ratio is the same as Estonia and 2010s Belgium, a victory with the right song and staging is very possible. Only time will tell.

10. It's possible, EBU will indeed expand the Eurovision brand further.

11. The only way to fell the mighty is to force RAI to not use Sanremo as a national selection. If Silvio Berlusconi is pro-Italexit, I hope this will not result in another 14-year wait for Italy returning again.

12. It depends on the songs they will send.

13. It's very hard to tell right now. If Poland winning, they will do it the same way Finland and Portugal did it. The novelty of a record-smashing win will be temporary, Poland will probably struggle as usual in the coming years after that. Poland does have diaspora unlike Finland though. Czech Republic would probably have the same answer as "6.".

Alaska49
16th August 2019, 17:38
YES for DE returning. keep the basics pressed, france, *I* trust you and that matters the most. <3

FRFanESC
20th August 2019, 17:26
Indila is finally back after 4 years, she'll probably represent us next year.:lol:

MalagaToledo
22nd August 2019, 16:25
Bilal's staging was way over the top.

Well, it was one of the most epic staging in the history, lighting gold and purple, messages of empowerment esp for minorities. The staging was finally on point. I would say that over the top would staging would be like entries of belarus, Russia, Australia.. This was classy..

0scar
22nd August 2019, 17:04
Well, it was one of the most epic staging in the history, lighting gold and purple, messages of empowerment esp for minorities. The staging was finally on point. I would say that over the top would staging would be like entries of belarus, Russia, Australia.. This was classy..

Lol I honestly thought this was one of the most trashy stagings I've ever seen, but everyone's taste is different

MalagaToledo
22nd August 2019, 17:22
Lol I honestly thought this was one of the most trashy stagings I've ever seen, but everyone's taste is different

You are talking about belarus 2019 or what, because I'm confused. :)

0scar
22nd August 2019, 19:09
You are talking about belarus 2019 or what, because I'm confused. :)

That one was trashy as well but that doesn't mean something like France 2019 isn't. The message they wanted to come across was fine, the way they portrayed that was too much, too heavy, too much in your face.. nope not my style and definitely not my definition of 'classy'.

Antho
22nd August 2019, 22:48
That one was trashy as well but that doesn't mean something like France 2019 isn't. The message they wanted to come across was fine, the way they portrayed that was too much, too heavy, too much in your face.. nope not my style and definitely not my definition of 'classy'.
You can say whatever you want about the staging but you can't deny it was - visually - one of the best this year, and a great improvement coming from the French delegation. That's really encouraging for the years incoming.

anaraqueen
23rd August 2019, 03:12
the only thing i disliked about bilal's staging was the color palette

other than that, i love it. and i actually love the fact that it is too much in your face. we need it.

Loindici
23rd August 2019, 03:33
The graphics of Bilal's staging were stunning. The thing that really bothers me, though, is the inclusion of the dancers.

Antho
23rd August 2019, 13:57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6ak-GJcxX8
This is so weird she would have done very well at Eurovision :lol:

tuorem
23rd August 2019, 14:14
Freakydila needs to calm down a bit. :lol:

I doubt she can sing this live properly though: it's fast-paced as heck and it sounds like there are four different voices singing to begin with xthink

With that being said, it's definitely out there and over-the-top: it wouldn't have gone unnoticed in Eurovision, that's for sure.

Edweis
23rd August 2019, 20:28
I liked Bilal's staging's color palette. The words were indeed too much but I think we're on the right path. Maybe we'll finally nail it in 2020.

I was never a fan of Indila to begin with so her return does nothing to me. As for her new song, it's indeed over the top, it's scattered everywhere. However Antho is right in saying she could have done well in Eurovision.

hawadharma
1st September 2019, 14:57
This is so weird she would have done very well at Eurovision :lol:

I mean, girl, why'd you release this song just a month before the Eurovision season starts
This would've been France's ticket to win 2020 !!

So quirky yet so fresh

esc87fan
2nd September 2019, 05:17
I liked Bilal's staging's color palette. The words were indeed too much but I think we're on the right path. Maybe we'll finally nail it in 2020.

I was never a fan of Indila to begin with so her return does nothing to me. As for her new song, it's indeed over the top, it's scattered everywhere. However Antho is right in saying she could have done well in Eurovision.

Except for one problem, Indila has said many times that she doesn't want to do Eurovision

Citelis
2nd September 2019, 14:04
There are so many good singers in France.

HayashiM
2nd September 2019, 14:55
I know it is not very probable, but I would absolutely love to see Zaz competing one day. She might get a good amount of hate in France, but she is very popular abroad and I can see her attracting some new audience to the contest. I also think the Eurovision spirit could be quite close to her own style, even if she might not have much to gain from the participation itself.

shameless
8th September 2019, 12:12
I know it is not very probable, but I would absolutely love to see Zaz competing one day. She might get a good amount of hate in France, but she is very popular abroad and I can see her attracting some new audience to the contest. I also think the Eurovision spirit could be quite close to her own style, even if she might not have much to gain from the participation itself.
I think that sounds like a typical story of a "once established artist destroying their momentum with a bad placement at ESC" of which we don't have that many but still dozens of even in recent decades. Even la reine Patricia Kaas was just prevented from a disaster by the jury vote.

ESC94
8th September 2019, 12:15
I think France is on the right way after lots of years in the ESC wilderness, I really liked their entries from 2016-2018, I´m very excited about what they´ll send to Rotterdam next year.

Sean
21st September 2019, 01:21
Have your say on France's last decade here;

https://escunited.com/eurovision-this-decade-france/

FRFanESC
27th September 2019, 18:10
Sandy Héribert unofficially confirmed that Destination Eurovision will be back next year. For those wondering, she was the co-host of DE2019 with Garou (main host), she was in th green-room but was also an "inside reporter" (do you understand ? :lol: ) for videos from the eurovisionFrance accounts on social networks. She said :
"With France 2, we are talking about the continuation obviously, of my presence in the next season of Destination Eurovision but also during the Eurovision 2020 which will take place on May 12 and 14 (semifinals) and May 16 (the grand finale)", she explained before adding:" The direction of France 2 wants me to become the face of Eurovision in France"

If she could host the next season of DE instead of Garou, it'd be perfect for me.

esc87fan
28th September 2019, 06:18
If DE comes back, it will likely air here again on TV5 on a time delay as it has been the last 2 contests

John1
29th September 2019, 02:01
Utterly upset that FTV didn't decide to revert back to an internal selection process.

FRFanESC
29th September 2019, 02:22
Utterly upset that FTV didn't decide to revert back to an internal selection process.

A bit disappointed too. The silence since the final more than four months ago made me hope for a return of the internal selection but sadly no. But I want to keep the faith ( :lol: ), there are a lot of issues that can be resolved to lead us to a new top 5/10 :
- a single evening show with only 10 contestants.
- revise the voting system and give indirectly less power to the televote. For example, they could keep international juries the same but change televoting by just giving 120pts to the first, then 100pts to the second. So that, the 5th artist with international juries is very unlikely to win the whole thing.

Our head of delegation said two weeks ago that they are happy to receive songs from people that wanted to participate a year ago or two, but they didn't officially launch the submissions process, so it means that they are selecting songs internally for Destination Eurovision, which is a very good point to me. So if they don't open submissions to everyone for the next season of the show, it means that there'll be only artists already signed with records compagnies (=no beginners artists = experienced artists) or beginners artists releasing their first song, which is probably a Eurovision compatible song.

Anyway, I want to be confident but I'll wait for more details about how the show will work this time (if there are any changes, at least).

ory26
6th October 2019, 11:15
We have some news about Destination Eurovison (in french)

https://www.ozap.com/actu/alexandra-redde-amiel-ftv-avec-nos-nouveaux-divertissements-nous-allons-surprendre/584159

Interview with Alexandra Redde-Amiel, the new director of entertainment of France TV.
In short, DE will comeback next year, but with a new presentator, a new format and maybe a new name.

I can not wait for more news. No more Garou is already a big improvement for me, he was so bad.

FRFanESC
7th October 2019, 00:58
We have some news about Destination Eurovison (in french)

https://www.ozap.com/actu/alexandra-redde-amiel-ftv-avec-nos-nouveaux-divertissements-nous-allons-surprendre/584159

Interview with Alexandra Redde-Amiel, the new director of entertainment of France TV.
In short, DE will comeback next year, but with a new presentator, a new format and maybe a new name.

I can not wait for more news. No more Garou is already a big improvement for me, he was so bad.

I read the interview two days ago. It sounds good for me. Moreover, they still didn't open submissions for the artists, so we are likely having a national selection with artists chosen with an internal selection, I'm curious to see the result. She said they're aiming at a top 3. Btw the JESC song will be released "in a few days", likely on next friday.

John1
7th October 2019, 01:24
I read the interview two days ago. It sounds good for me. Moreover, they still didn't open submissions for the artists, so we are likely having a national selection with artists chosen with an internal selection, I'm curious to see the result. She said they're aiming at a top 3. Btw the JESC song will be released "in a few days", likely on next friday.

A national final with internally selected artists? Sounds great! If they manage to pick the right entries according to FTV's criteria... then we're back in the game. :D

lilka
11th October 2019, 21:58
Hey guys, what's going on with Indila? She released a FANTASTIC new song on 23rd August and then vanished again. Just this one song, with no video, no whole album...What? Why?

tuorem
11th October 2019, 22:29
Hey guys, what's going on with Indila? She released a FANTASTIC new song on 23rd August and then vanished again. Just this one song, with no video, no whole album...What? Why?

She's beyond understanding :lol: Apparently, a MV for "Parle à ta tête" is supposed to be released in a "near" future (is it a matter of days? weeks? no info on that).

During a concert, she said a few weeks ago her second album wasn't finished yet, but it's getting there.

The way she and her team manage her comeback is strange though, I thought once the track was released they would promote the hell out of it, but apparently they didn't bother preparing everything beforehand. Maybe they thought fans would make the song a success from day one, which didn't happen. They'll have to work harder to let people know she's back.

John1
11th October 2019, 22:34
She's beyond understanding :lol: Apparently, a MV for "Parle à ta tête" is supposed to be released in a "near" future (is it a matter of days? weeks? no info on that).

During a concert, she said a few weeks ago her second album wasn't finished yet, but it's getting there.

The way she and her team manage her comeback is strange though, I thought once the track was released they would promote the hell out of it, but apparently they didn't bother preparing everything beforehand. Maybe they thought fans would make the song a success from day one, which didn't happen. They'll have to work harder to let people know she's back.

anyway, i'd totally buy Raiven taking part for ::fr this year since ::sl seemingly isn't interested in her any longer. :mrgreen:

lilka
11th October 2019, 22:45

This is really strange! Living here in Poland, where Indila was loved by millions of fans in 2014, I just learned about the song like... two days ago.
And "Parle à ta tête" is simply mind-blowing, good "old" Indila!

lilka
12th October 2019, 13:13
I have to post the song here so that people can listen to. This is sooooo suitable for Eurovision! This is exactly what France needs, but unfortunately it was released before 1st Sept.

Loindici
12th October 2019, 18:25
Speaking about the national selection, I feel a bigger probability of France2 doing some internal selections for artists and songs, then put it in a one-night national final. It would somehow hybridize the internal selections that brought us Amir and Alma, and the 'beloved' Destination Eurovision that brought us two songs by Madame Monsieur. And also Bilal.

FRFanESC
12th October 2019, 19:27
Speaking about the national selection, I feel a bigger probability of France2 doing some internal selections for artists and songs, then put it in a one-night national final. It would somehow hybridize the internal selections that brought us Amir and Alma, and the 'beloved' Destination Eurovision that brought us two songs by Madame Monsieur. And also Bilal.
As I said above, Steven Clerima (our head of delegation)'s words go in that direction. He said almost a month ago that he was happy that some artists who sent songs a year ago or two are still trying for next year.

? Like how can he say this since they didn't open submissions ? The only possibility is that they offered the possibility by themselves to a few internal artists that they know thanks to their network but they don't want artists to send songs directly by themselves.

John1
12th October 2019, 22:00
As I said above, Steven Clerima (our head of delegation)'s words go in that direction. He said almost a month ago that he was happy that some artists who sent songs a year ago or two are still trying for next year.

? Like how can he say this since they didn't open submissions ? The only possibility is that they offered the possibility by themselves to a few internal artists that they know thanks to their network but they don't want artists to send songs directly by themselves.

In order to avoid singers like Lisandro or Bilal sending their entries to FTV.

FRFanESC
13th October 2019, 14:56
In order to avoid singers like Lisandro or Bilal sending their entries to FTV.

Ok for Bilal but why Lisandro ? I was for Mercy but I have to admit that his song was more Eurovision compatible, he would've ended up at least top 5 with the juries.

John1
13th October 2019, 20:25
Ok for Bilal but why Lisandro ? I was for Mercy but I have to admit that his song was more Eurovision compatible, he would've ended up at least top 5 with the juries.

Oh please, his song was anything but appealing to casual viewers. no wonder he didn't win the televote during DE despite having a quite huge fanbase.

Sammy
13th October 2019, 22:36
Oh please, his song was anything but appealing to casual viewers. no wonder he didn't win the televote during DE despite having a quite huge fanbase.

I had rather the impression, that the public was more seduced by the topic of Madame Monsieurs' song as it was up to date. I'm still convinced he would have done better in Lissabon, but we'll never know.

tuorem
14th October 2019, 15:15

Not only the music was too cookie-cutter to be interesting imho, but the lyrics were also unrelatable and WTH-esque: I wonder who thought "hey, I've a brilliant idea: let's tell the story of a single mother who turns out to be a depressed stripper" :lol: OK, he avoided the "boy meets girl" cliché, but still that was weird.

Visually, they missed the mark as well: between the dance break coming out of nowhere and the model they brought on stage at the end of the performance. :lol:

I never was a fan of "Mercy", but at least it was a tad more authentic and interesting musically and lyrically compared to "Eva". With that being said, I also think we might have done slightly better with Lisandro (not a top 5 though :lol: let's keep it real) simply because juries tend to overrate this kind of soulless stuff. That's the dilemma everyone faces: either send something plastic to maximise one's chances of getting a good placing, or go off the beaten path at the risk of being ignored or underrated. Personally, I'll always prefer the latter.

FRFanESC
14th October 2019, 23:54

You said "huge fanbase" ? His first single wasn't a huge success and his first album barely sold 10 000.

Not only the music was too cookie-cutter to be interesting imho, but the lyrics were also unrelatable and WTH-esque: I wonder who thought "hey, I've a brilliant idea: let's tell the story of a single mother who turns out to be a depressed stripper" :lol: OK, he avoided the "boy meets girl" cliché, but still that was weird.

Visually, they missed the mark as well: between the dance break coming out of nowhere and the model they brought on stage at the end of the performance. :lol:

I never was a fan of "Mercy", but at least it was a tad more authentic and interesting musically and lyrically compared to "Eva". With that being said, I also think we might have done slightly better with Lisandro (not a top 5 though :lol: let's keep it real) simply because juries tend to overrate this kind of soulless stuff. That's the dilemma everyone faces: either send something plastic to maximise one's chances of getting a good placing, or go off the beaten path at the risk of being ignored or underrated. Personally, I'll always prefer the latter.

I didn't say top 5 overall but only with the juries, lol.

tuorem
15th October 2019, 00:16
I didn't say top 5 overall but only with the juries, lol.

I got it :mrgreen: I just wonder who Lisandro could have ousted in the juries' top 5 that year xthink Eleni, Michael, Netta, Benjamin and Cesar were tough competitors.

A 6-10 placing with juries might have been more doable imo, hopefully not to the detriment of Goddessa Nechayeva who deserved more already xcry1

Antho
21st October 2019, 00:56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz8b8t-eW9o
F**k. She has already been mentioned earlier but I'm just saying it again because she's a goddess : Yseult for Eurovision.

tuorem
21st October 2019, 01:40
"Corps" is amazing. And so is her latest EP. Her interpretation skills are so on point and unparalleled in our current music scene, it's crazy.

I thought of posting this video too. I'm really into what she's releasing at the moment, sonically-speaking it reminds me of Sevdaliza.

Eurovision would be a nice platform for her to turn the spotlight on her work through a live performance before a wide audience. But would she be interested in trying her luck? At least she could consider participating in Destination Eurovision, it might give her a boost promotion-wise. It's not like we see her everywhere.

At any rate, I'd be behind her 100%. She's the kind of artist (with a vision) that I'd like to see more of in our national selection.

andimuhammadrifki
21st October 2019, 09:13
I actually hope France sends a "Bim Bam Toi"-like song next year. "Bim Bam Toi" is definitely my favorite JESC 2019 entry.

Preuss
21st October 2019, 12:58
I actually hope France sends a "Bim Bam Toi"-like song next year. "Bim Bam Toi" is definitely my favorite JESC 2019 entry.

It's really great. I hope France will win this year, I'll vote like crazy for it

Edweis
21st October 2019, 15:01
It may be my favorite Yseult's song. Eurovision or not, she's the kind of artist I would like to see as our representative, with a proper identity.

FRFanESC
22nd October 2019, 18:26
Please not Yseult, she must have mental issues. :lol: Something I'd have loved and I'm convinced we could have won with amazing live vocals, this is "Aux étoiles" by Colours in The Street :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUePZ2V91Cw

It's like "Arcade" (that I absolutely love) but even better. It is so Coldayplay-esque, so smooth, it's feels like you're lost in space or like you're looking at the sky during a summer night. The chorus isn't that strong but the end is like "GOOOOOSEBUMPS !!! OMG", a bit like Arcade.:lol: The long version is almost 7 minutes but there's a 3 minutes 30 secondes radio edit version.

Another artist I would love to see (and I think she is quite likely to participate to DE2020) is someone that french people will surely know, I'm talking about the amazing Maëlle :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVz3xR1X9RU

"Toutes les machines ont un coeur" is such a bop, lyrics are amazing and she, is amazing too live. Actually, I really want us to bring a bop to the competition but if there's an amazing ballad (or even something different) like I just posted above that could place in the top 5 according to me, I don't see any problem. The only thing I want is that we finally get THE SONG + The STAGING and not just one of the two like since 2016. :lol:

John1
30th November 2019, 21:05
Still no news about the selection process?

Mainshow
30th November 2019, 21:11
Still no news about the selection process?

Destination Eurovision was dropped and an internal selection confirmed a few minutes ago.
https://eurovoix.com/2019/11/30/france-destination-eurovision-dropped-as-internal-selection-confirmed-for-2020/

John1
30th November 2019, 21:33
Destination Eurovision was dropped and an internal selection confirmed a few minutes ago.
https://eurovoix.com/2019/11/30/france-destination-eurovision-dropped-as-internal-selection-confirmed-for-2020/

xfaint god saves the queen

Mainshow
30th November 2019, 21:35
Even though I think that the French preselections were amazing (songs and soundwise), I wasn't really keen on the outcome. "Mercy" and "Roi" weren't bad but not perfect either... Amir and Alma were incredible, though, and it was the first time that I voted for France after Patricia Kaas again. I am really looking for this internal selection, tbh.

Edweis
30th November 2019, 21:43
Funny, I was wondering about that just a few hours ago, because last year we got the names of the contestants early December.
Anyway, it may actually be good news ? For me both selection processes got their perks and drawbacks, but it's true we got our best results thanks to an internal selection (our worst too). It seems however they really want to win this time, surely the JESC results pumped them up.

Still, putting on a whole show just to present us the entry is kinda strange ?

Antho
30th November 2019, 21:44
Destination Eurovision was a good national final and it gave us the possibility to discover a lot of talented artist, but it definitely wasn't the right way to choose artists. I think an internal selection is way better. Steven (HoD) knows what he's doing, and FTV trust him after the good results he brought for both JESC 2018 & most recently, 2019. I hope we won't disappoint, because I have really high hopes now.

FRFanESC
30th November 2019, 21:47
Omg I'm so happy and very confident after Steven gaving us Angélina and Carla. Let's hope for an amazing bop !!! Yassss !!!!

tuorem
30th November 2019, 21:53
Oh wow, I thought they'd remain stubborn with DE despite the disappointing viewing figures and results. It is a sensible move.

Now I wish we could have a more musically-challenging entry for a change, even though it's more likely to be super mainstream. They should pay attention to live vocals though, for Amir and Alma didn't shine in this department imo.

I'm curious to know what they'll go for. According to the interview, they asked famous French songwriters for songs and, for the first time, are looking for imports.

FRFanESC
30th November 2019, 21:58
For those who want more information and the translation of the article (with google traduction, lol) :

Who will succeed Bilal Hassani to represent France in Eurovision 2020? And above all, how will the next candidate be selected? Answer: not by the viewers or the jury of ten international "Destination Eurovision", as for the two previous editions. According to our information, France 2 has given up this TV preselection, hosted by Garou and produced by ITV Studios France ("The Voice", "4 weddings for 1 honeymoon" ...)

In question, audiences: 1.9 million viewers on average on the three nights proposed last January (10.4% of PDA), a score well below the 4.8 million (30.2%) of the final of the European competition, in May. But not only.

"We want more control over the process, with an in-house selection", says Alexandra Redde-Amiel, Director of Entertainment and Variety for France Télévisions. It is also that this year will be the Spanish and the English (note: arrived 22nd and 26th, in 2019). We will deploy our forces differently. Several tracks are envisaged. "

Carton for Bilal in preselection, but finally falls
At the headquarters of the public group, we still remember the gap between the vote of the jury, which had greatly preferred the singer Seemone, and that of the French public who finally contributed to the victory of Bilal Hassani, giving him more than one-third of the points on eight candidates. Except that on arrival, the verdict was rather harsh for the tricolor camp: the interpreter "King" finished 16th out of 26 competitors.

READ ALSO> French Carla ranks 5th in Eurovision Junior

"By changing our device, we hope to get closer to the podium in 2020" (she already said that a few weeks ago), adds Alexandra Redde-Amiel. In other words, enter the Top 5! What even Amir (6th in 2016) did not manage to do. The last time France reached this goal, it was in 2002 with Sandrine François (5th) and in 2001 with Natasha St-Pier (4th).

To put the odds on its side, the management of France Televisions has also expanded the call for tenders. "We asked French authors and composers to offer us songs, but also to foreign publishers for the first time", announces the director of entertainment and varieties of France Televisions. Another novelty: the broadcast of an evening event to present the future representative tricolor, before the final May 16 in Rotterdam (Netherlands).

http://www.leparisien.fr/culture-loisirs/tv/eurovision-ni-jury-ni-vote-du-public-le-candidat-francais-sera-choisi-en-interne-30-11-2019-8206644.php

Yasss !

Edweis
30th November 2019, 22:06
Now I wish we could have a more musically-challenging entry for a change, even though it's more likely to be super mainstream. They should pay attention to live vocals though, for Amir and Alma didn't shine in this department imo.

Exactly. If we dig a little in our current music scene there are many different genres to look out for. I'm hoping for something a little more risky.

randajad
30th November 2019, 22:07
Although DE was one of the best national finals music wise, French somehow did not know to choose the best entry, and even though the winners were fine, their best game in recent years was when they went internal so you go girl. xheart

ory26
30th November 2019, 23:59
Clearly, it's the best choice, french public is not ready to choice artist trough a national selection.

Now, i trust France TV and Steven Clérima to choose a top 5 song, after all they gave France a 2nd and 5th place in JESC, both selected internaly :)

John1
1st December 2019, 00:06
Ditching Edoardo Grassi for Steven Clérima was the best decision ever made from FTV.

HayashiM
1st December 2019, 00:09
I might have missed something, but I think Eurovoix doesn't interpret this correctly as a "100% internal selection". It quotes leparisien as its source, however the article linked by FRFanESC also mentions this:
"Plusieurs pistes sont envisagées. Notamment un vote du public resserré à trois ou quatre candidats."
So they want to have more internal weight in the selection process, but a final public vote from a very limited number of choices still remains a possibility.
(...or did I miss any additional information? :D )

John1
1st December 2019, 00:11
Oh wow, I thought they'd remain stubborn with DE despite the disappointing viewing figures and results. It is a sensible move.

I'm curious to know what they'll go for. According to the interview, they asked famous French songwriters for songs and, for the first time, are looking for imports.

i expected Carla to fail miserably while performing her song, but i got astonished by the way she managed to nail this f*cking performance. :o i trust steven more than my own mother :lol:

Edweis
1st December 2019, 00:23
"Plusieurs pistes sont envisagées. Notamment un vote du public resserré à trois ou quatre candidats." So they want to have more internal weight in the selection process, but a final public vote from a very limited number of choices still remains a possibility.

It is indeed what they said, they still haven't decided on the final form of the process. It could be a good compromise, but depending on the selectioned artists I don't fully trust the French public vote.

tuorem
1st December 2019, 00:34
What matters is that the DE format is gone. But I agree with Edweis, even if they plan a show with four contestants, I still wouldn't trust the French televoters. :? As we've seen, they're too easily influenced by names and messages, and seem to reject anything modern. So unless every entry selected deserves to go to the contest, that would be a risk.

FRFanESC
1st December 2019, 01:17
I might have missed something, but I think Eurovoix doesn't interpret this correctly as a "100% internal selection". It quotes leparisien as its source, however the article linked by FRFanESC also mentions this:
"Plusieurs pistes sont envisagées. Notamment un vote du public resserré à trois ou quatre candidats."
So they want to have more internal weight in the selection process, but a final public vote from a very limited number of choices still remains a possibility.

Exactly, I missed that too, google traduction cancelled it while translating. I really hope they'll push their idea and go 100% internal, rather than let french people choose between 3 or 4 contestants.

Sammy
1st December 2019, 10:27
It‘s a shame because it was my favorite NF since it began. Most of the acts were better than a lot of songs we finally say at the contest. I will miss the opportunity to get to know so many great french acts. This being said - it‘s true that the artists finally chosen hadn‘t been the best ones so an internal choice makes sense. But they also could have alteres the voting procedure...

AlekS
6th December 2019, 16:45
French Head of Delegation has just resigned.

The new HoD is Alexandra Redde-Amiel:

Loindici
6th December 2019, 16:55
French Head of Delegation has just resigned.

The new HoD is Alexandra Redde-Amiel:

It's obvious. She's the ones giving us virtually all information about France in 2020, and it shows.

FRFanESC
6th December 2019, 18:28
The fact that she won't be full-time dedicated to the contest worries me a bit, I'm not gonna lie. But anyway, we're early december so Steven basically must have done almost everything about the selection of our future candidate (or future national final). They said that they're not sure if they should choose the song on their own or make a televised final with 3 or 4 contestants so at this time, they must be at the point where they shorlisted a few songs but didn't make their final choice(s) yet.

John1
6th December 2019, 18:44
The fact that she won't be full-time dedicated to the contest worries me a bit, I'm not gonna lie. But anyway, we're early december so Steven basically must have done almost everything about the selection of our future candidate (or future national final). They said that they're not sure if they should choose the song on their own or make a televsied final with 3 or 4 contestants so at this time, they must be at the point where they shorlisted a few songs but didn't make their final choice(s) yet.

what would be the point anyway

tuorem
6th December 2019, 19:16
Wait? Does that mean we will start from scratch again musically and visually?

Despite his good work, Clerima didn't stay long. Pity.

Who is that woman? Does she know about Eurovision?

edit: ok, she was appointed HoD, but she is also the entertainment director of the channel... I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

Edweis
6th December 2019, 20:26
Hum... this worries me a little. For once I had faith in our delegation, Steven did a good job with JESC, which was promising for the adult version, but now I don't know what to think of it.