PDA

View Full Version : Barbara Dex Award 2019

Fluke
9th May 2019, 20:31
No thread about this yet, strangely, so who are the contenders? The obvious ones of those we've seen so far:

Belarus
Cyprus
Iceland
Portugal

Austria, Romania, Switzerland and Greece could also get high spots, especially if they add something more we haven't seen yet.

And of course we haven't seen the DTF countries yet, but i got a feeling Germany and Spain might be contenders, possibly France if they try to be adventurous.

Out of them, i'd say Cyprus personally. Absolutely dreadful, and even worse than the first rehearsal outfit, for an equally dreadful song!

Grinch
9th May 2019, 21:04
Portugal.

Also France can be good contender.

Gitte
9th May 2019, 21:57
Euhm, Belgium?

anaraqueen
9th May 2019, 22:16
portugal
belgium
cyprus
these pants of sebastian from finland

gingerale
9th May 2019, 22:46

I just can't with them. Give him the award.

RainyWoods
9th May 2019, 23:08
Easily Belgium. The whole point is it's supposed to be who was blind as a bat when they looked in the mirror. The terribly misguided looks that spoil the chances of a song. I hate when the award goes to artists like Conan and Hatari. They might be weird and crazy but they're artists with clear visions and it's part of their thing, their persona. The only thing that orange.... whatever it's supposed to be wrapped around Eliot's body is a part of is what's called a mistake. Might be able to use it to stop some traffic after the contest is over at least.

BorisBubbles
10th May 2019, 00:02
the idea of Bdex is singling out the acts that completely destroyed themselves with awful, avoidable fashion choices. The first semi is a fashion DISASTER but neither Conan nor Hatari are even close to the most insipid outfits of the crop. Belgium, Belarus, Cyprus, Poland, Montenegro (I'm surprised they aren't mentioned more often, but bad couture is a tier 4 concern with them, I guess) and Finland are all worse and would effortlessly win BDex in most years.

EscTurkey
10th May 2019, 00:11
My candidates are

::fi
::pt
::mk
::be
::al

joancamo
10th May 2019, 04:11
The whole semi 1 contestants deserve the Barbara Dex, the clothes this year are hideous

njdevils94
10th May 2019, 06:57

Yes the pants-boots combo on Sebastian is so weird so I would put ::fi on the short-list as well.

tomos2019
10th May 2019, 11:00
This is quite a controversial opinion but to be totally honest I don't agree with the Barbara Dex award, the story of why it was invented makes me think badly of the people who came up with it and it certainly doesn't make me want to visit the House of Eurovision website. What were they even doing spending all that time on the internet in 1993? It's things like that that make me think I need to spend less time on the internet.

Ezio
10th May 2019, 16:30
My pick for Barbara Dex award is Tamta. She looks like a sex doll.

LesterMalvo
10th May 2019, 19:39
Portugal is supposed to be authentic but it is just weird. It doesn't really have any sorts of disposition unlike how it is intended to be. It would have been a fair winner.

randajad
10th May 2019, 21:01
There are quite a few terrible choices this year, but Id chose the winner from one of these: Portugal, Macedonia, Iceland.:lol:

PinchyCrabstina
10th May 2019, 21:28
Since Verka Serduchka once received this award I just can't take it seriously.

As for bad outfits in general though Montenegro probably takes the cake for me.

blue00eyes
10th May 2019, 22:56
Belgium, Portugal or Iceland

edit: and Croatian wings

BorisBubbles
10th May 2019, 23:01
My pick for Barbara Dex award is Tamta. She looks like a sex doll.

She looks like a mail order bride.

GermanBango
11th May 2019, 17:01
::pt

ag89
11th May 2019, 21:11
I assume somebody from the Balkans will take it, we are good in winning this.

midnightsun
13th May 2019, 15:12
Belgium, North Macedonia or Portugal. In this order.

r3gg13
13th May 2019, 18:48
Montenegro takes the cake on this one. That one guy's deep-cut v-neck + coat combo is just not working for me

Fluke
14th May 2019, 23:34
Greece is a contender too now....

Nicfedy
17th May 2019, 09:42
Not so keen on Sweden’s outfits

opinionsigotem
17th May 2019, 11:54
Portugal is FASHION and the real winner is Finland for those awful fake boots

Dessi
17th May 2019, 12:10
Taste is subjective. What I think is trashy and a complete disaster could to someone else be artistic and inspiring
:D :mrgreen: xhii

midnightsun
17th May 2019, 18:11
Portugal is FASHION and the real winner is Finland for those awful fake boots

Or Romania‘s. I honestly thought they‘d do a Montenegro 2014 and start iceskating.

Fluke
18th May 2019, 15:26
Still think Cyprus in the worst, but Romania must be a contender now.... they may have NQed now entirely because of that hideously unflattering outfit and the even more ridiculous dancers!

Chorizo
18th May 2019, 17:03
Cyprus

Belgium was pretty bad too.

joancamo
19th May 2019, 01:38
Romania, Belgium,

Alaska49
19th May 2019, 05:21
the true ugliest outfit is sebastian's hotness-ruining disaster (right when he finally had the first good haircut of his life!) but my mission this year is to vote strategically to stop conan and hatari from winning since it is not the point of the award to give it to them who had a concept in mind. it seems people want to give it to eliot the most, so he is getting my vote. PROTECT CONAN, PROTECT HATARI.

Ichbinjari
19th May 2019, 17:18
I think Montenegro or Austria deserves this award.

Franzilein
19th May 2019, 17:42
Belarus, Belgium, Romania, Finland, Croatia, Montenegro... boy what a fest.

Iker
19th May 2019, 17:44
I'd give it to Sebastian Rejman ::fi

Or Tamta ::cy, Zena with those kitschy white moon boots also is high on my list ::by

FilipFromSweden
19th May 2019, 20:47
Eurovision fan: Eurovision has become so watered out, we need to protect the weirdness!

Also Eurovision fan: pOrTuGaL HaD SuCh uGlY ClOThES! tHeyRe cAnCeLLed

alca
20th May 2019, 15:54
My vote went to ::cy I love Tamta but the outfit was terrible. It wasn't even part of a concept (like Hatari's for example) so yeah... Tamta it is.

Citelis
26th May 2019, 13:48
Conan won Barbara Dex Award.

njdevils94
26th May 2019, 14:24
Confirmed.

https://escxtra.com/2019/05/26/conan-osiris-barbara-dex-award-2019/

LesterMalvo
26th May 2019, 16:42
My two candidates-for-vote ended up in top 5 nonetheless. But then again, I would never vote for BD and it shouldn't be a thing to begin with.

Ichbinjari
26th May 2019, 18:10
Seriously, Portugal on 1 and Tamta on 2? And why is Montenegro not in the top 5? They looked like freaking flightattendants.

FilipFromSweden
26th May 2019, 18:27
Some Eurovision fans can be so narrow-minded. Those outfits are not ugly, just unconventional and avant garde. There is a big difference between what Conan and his guy wore and an outfit that is actually ill-fitting, unflattering and straight up atrocious.

Preuss
26th May 2019, 19:24
I don't understand why Tamta's second? :?

Alaska49
26th May 2019, 20:47
she looked terrible lol

still yawn another bdex result that missed the point. sometimes i wonder if the award still has any meaning if people just vote for the weirdest rather than the ugliest.

randajad
26th May 2019, 22:00
He really did look terrible, so yay. :lol:

anaraqueen
27th May 2019, 03:16
tamta looked like she was wrapped in plastic, it's a fair second pleace.

that being said
where
are
the
kinky boots from sebastian IOTAP

EscTurkey
27th May 2019, 14:16
Some Eurovision fans can be so narrow-minded. Those outfits are not ugly, just unconventional and avant garde. There is a big difference between what Conan and his guy wore and an outfit that is actually ill-fitting, unflattering and straight up atrocious.

Being unconventional and avant garde doesn't grant you a wildcard that saves you from having the worst dress of ESC 2019 tho.
Those who criticized his green SF dress all had favourable opinions about the white NF dress, which was also unconventional, weird and avant garde. So we don't have anything against dresses that go beyond the ordinary.
The thing is that his dress was not suitable with the red background and dark lighting. Also his black mask made him look like a neckless jihadist, the golden one in the NF was much better.

All in all I think it was a very well deserved Barbara Dex Award. Perhaps the most deserving winner of the decade.
North Macedonia was robbed, they definitely deserved top 3.

gingerale
27th May 2019, 14:47
that being said
where
are
the
kinky boots from sebastian IOTAP

Still glued to his jeans.

lavieenrose
27th May 2019, 15:11
Still glued to his jeans.

Eurovision fashion idea inspired by this post: footie pajamas. Straight to the top of the Barbara Dex leaderboard.

FilipFromSweden
27th May 2019, 16:42
Being unconventional and avant garde doesn't grant you a wildcard that saves you from having the worst dress of ESC 2019 tho.
Those who criticized his green SF dress all had favourable opinions about the white NF dress, which was also unconventional, weird and avant garde. So we don't have anything against dresses that go beyond the ordinary.
The thing is that his dress was not suitable with the red background and dark lighting. Also his black mask made him look like a neckless jihadist, the golden one in the NF was much better.

All in all I think it was a very well deserved Barbara Dex Award. Perhaps the most deserving winner of the decade.
North Macedonia was robbed, they definitely deserved top 3.

First of all, it is by far not the worst costume of 2019. Second of all, it is hypocritical as hell that Eurovision fans whine about how the competition is getting watered out and too western, but when something different is presented the same fans trash it. Just because it's not fashionable or ''good looking'' doesn't mean it lacks impact or that it's the wrong choice. Fashion is an artform that is supposed to make you think, question and feel. He looked like a video game villain and it worked well with the song.

BorisBubbles
28th May 2019, 11:40
I'm shocked Ester didn't do better in BDex lol. She looked like a secretary.

Tamta is a very deserved second place though. Wow. Vajewellery. How tasteful. xqueenbitch

Alevender
28th May 2019, 14:01
I'm shocked Ester didn't do better in BDex lol. She looked like a secretary.

xyeah By far the worst if you ask me, it did not make any sense xshrug

Citelis
28th May 2019, 15:28
Of course it made sense. Not all women have to be dressed with ugly dresses.

Citelis
28th May 2019, 15:40
And Belgium i don't get why he is so high!

anaraqueen
28th May 2019, 15:42
Yeah, Ester deserved a spot there.

My top 5 would have been Portugal, Belgium, Cyprus, Finland and Romania. In no particular order.

lavieenrose
28th May 2019, 15:57
Okay here's my take: the Barbara Dex Award deserves to go to the outfit which most hindered/mismatched the performance/song and made it the hardest to transmit what was good about an entry. Using those criteria, Conan and the stiff, heavy fabric he was wearing deserved to at least contend for Barbara Dex because the outfit made it harder for him to communicate the buoyancy and energy of the performance.

HOWEVER.

I know full well that the hindrance the outfit provided Conan had roughly zero role in winning him the Barbara Dex Award. I'm dumb but not that dumb. He would've won Barbara Dex wearing just about anything he would realistically wear onstage. Heavy Barbara Dex Award voters OGAE are simply too basic for that not to have been the case. Besides asking for an OGAE number while voting and discreetly throwing votes that come attached with one into the trash, which wouldn't be fair either, I don't really know how the Barbara Dex Award can stop being anything but a badge of honor in practice. Until better minds find a solution, I salute Conan and his award-winning fashion choices, problematic as I found the one he ultimately made.

hawadharma
28th May 2019, 16:39
Conan attire is art. For the first time I disagree with the Barbara Dex award result.

The awards should go to Cyprus, Croatia, Montenegro.. the list goes on but NOT Portugal.

Wow, Portugal really making big waves this year with all this undeserving results for them

FilipFromSweden
28th May 2019, 18:47
Nobody can tell me that this:

https://i.imgur.com/SzK17Uq.png

is a better outfit than this:

https://pix.eurovisionworld.com/pix/portugal-2019-conan-osiris-4.jpg

Citelis
28th May 2019, 18:55
I believe that Conan is fair winner for this prize.

tuorem
28th May 2019, 20:51
I saw this outcome coming a mile away, but Tamta and Eliot were robbed. Their outfits were award-winning material imo.

musicfan
29th May 2019, 07:06
The sad thing is that Barbara Dex arguably had a great song and performance and yet all many hear about her is that she wore bad looking clothes.