PDA

View Full Version : Are National Selections worth it?

Teaisloveable
25th April 2019, 17:45
Okay, so I know we are out of selection season now, but I've been thinking about their process and whether or not they are good for Eurovision as a whole.

Personally, I'd say they are - They extend the Eurovision season, allow an insight into what is popular and allow the public to choose their countries Eurovision destiny.

Of course Melodifestivalen and Sanremo for example are more than just national selections, they are popular outside of the Eurovision world.
Also, what are your opinions when shows like The X Factor are used as the selection process?

On the flip side, I do understand that the public can and will continue to choose songs that don't do well in the actual contest, and therefore damage a country's chances of winning Eurovision (let alone qualifying for the final)
When you look at the the UK's You Decide, the format for that this year was weird to say the least and if a country isn't going to put 100% into its NS, perhaps internal is the way to go.

A country can succeed whichever way it goes, but I feel NS have the upper hand (in most cases). They invite the viewer into the journey of a participant, way before we've met them at a preparty, or Eurovision itself.
Having said that, I do think some countries benefit from leaving out the NS, and an internal selection suits them better.

Here are two articles I've found on the subject:
Does A National Final Help To Find The Best Eurovision Song? (https://escinsight.com/2015/05/15/does-a-national-final-help-to-find-the-best-eurovision-song/) (2015)
Why I Stopped Watching Eurovision National Selections/ (https://escxtra.com/2018/01/03/why-i-stopped-watching-eurovision-national-selections/) (2018)

I'm thinking in terms of entertainment value and Eurovision success.

LalehForWD
26th April 2019, 21:31
Teaisloveable
It's not so much which format you have, it's how relevant your selection is among foremost the artists and the local music industry. The audience will come if the content is good. This is a point constantly missed by the BBC. If the broadcaster selects internally via its own channels, it is also turning its back at both the audience and the music industry. I guess there are many ways to do a selection but I think the important aspect is to build engagement around it, both professional and fan communities. Fewer and fewer people are watching regular television and so far Eurovision has managed to gain further momentum despite that fact, due to online fan activities I believe.

edit:
I think BBC had that "Top of the Pops" show where you on YT can see legendary artists doing "live" shows in the 60', 70's and 80's. Something like that perhaps.

AshleyWright
26th April 2019, 22:28
What Laleh said above it right, however in some cases I think here is having a NF for the sake of having one, this particularly more applicable in eastern europe in countries like Romania, Moldova, Belarus etc where a solid entry could be internally chosen instead of hashed out mediocre NFs year after year. I think this year, internal selections have proven their worth and are definitely a credible form of entry selection. The same as NF they're only successful if the broadcaster knows what they're doing, and as the BBC has been taken as an example they've proven that the means to a great entry can be done via internal selection (2011 & Hurts in 2012) but if it's poorly executed then there is little point - BBC deciding Hurts were meh and Englebert was the shit and a better choice.

LalehForWD
27th April 2019, 00:00
What Laleh said above it right, however in some cases I think here is having a NF for the sake of having one, this particularly more applicable in eastern europe in countries like Romania, Moldova, Belarus etc where a solid entry could be internally chosen instead of hashed out mediocre NFs year after year. I think this year, internal selections have proven their worth and are definitely a credible form of entry selection. The same as NF they're only successful if the broadcaster knows what they're doing, and as the BBC has been taken as an example they've proven that the means to a great entry can be done via internal selection (2011 & Hurts in 2012) but if it's poorly executed then there is little point - BBC deciding Hurts were meh and Englebert was the shit and a better choice.

One thing is clear though, there will never come any surprises out of an internal selection and all the resources at hand will be spent on a single event. At most occasions, spent and gone forever. Already the day after Eurovision night it is all forgotten. If all your key people involved are hired professionals from say Sweden and Germany, well xshrug ... your local music industry will not have achieved a single step in progress. I still think it's better to struggle on with local talents and build whatever you can if your means are limited. LIke it or not, our music is almost completely managed by American Mega media record companies. All we Europeans can hope for is finding a small edge to hold on to or find an overlooked corner. I think the only way is to build in small steps forward. The Swedish music industry was built in small steps by very committed and determined people from the 1950-60's and onwards (to name some: Stikkan Anderson and Max Martin). To sum up my main point: You need your local music industry involved and interested and the more successful it is, the bigger your chance to win Eurovision.

MyHeartIsYours
29th April 2019, 01:14
If you run a good national final I think they're definitely worth it. Sweden's is brilliant and gets them great results. United Kingdom's was good in 2009 and got a great result too.

But why we still have a national final I don't know. An internal selection absolutely makes sense for us. Internal selection doesn't always get good results (though it can do) but it is able to deliver household names that generate interest in Eurovision and the entry at home and maybe abroad. Blue, Bonnie Tyler, etc, wouldn't have participated in a national final I don't think - Blue got one of our better results lately and generated a lot of support for our entry across Europe, while Bonnie Tyler is a popular and well-liked singer here and her participation raised the profile of the Contest at home. Imo better than an unknown with a poor song from a mid-week national selection...

Serena00
29th April 2019, 17:36
I think in Ukraine people would be pissed if we had an internal selection. But I also think that our people don't vote for the best song in NF, just for their favorite artist. Fanboys/fangirls voted for Melovin (two years in a row) and Maruv and it didn't matter much what song they singed