PDA

View Full Version : ESC Youtube Reaction scandal!! - which country is it??

hawadharma
23rd March 2019, 07:58
Was shocked with this revelation (but not too shocked)

https://youtu.be/6BnTu7f7l4g

Which country was it??????

Realest
23rd March 2019, 08:49
My prediction is ::mt
But I hope Im wrong of Course.

PinchyCrabstina
23rd March 2019, 10:49
I see plenty of people elsewhere accusing Russia, and while I might be a bit biased (I love Russia lol) I don't think it's them. Calling random youtubers and offering them money seems like a really desperate move. Russia doesn't need to do that and you'd think that their corruption game would be a bit smoother lol. I'd put my money on some smaller country that has never won before.

Also I have great respect for Jake due to his honesty and tranparency. He has a very sincere way and that's why I also find him so likable.

PinchyCrabstina
23rd March 2019, 10:53
My prediction is ::mt
But I hope Im wrong of Course.

What makes you think it's Malta? I'm not questioning you or anything, I'm genuinely curious.

Zonne147
23rd March 2019, 10:57
Can anyone tell me what happened?

PinchyCrabstina
23rd March 2019, 10:59
He deleted the video :o

PinchyCrabstina
23rd March 2019, 11:01
Can anyone tell me what happened?

He said that he recieved phone call from officials in a undisclosed country who offered him money to react to their country's entry as well as other songs by the artist.

HayashiM
23rd March 2019, 11:03
I don't think he made this up, he was indeed very shaken on the video (I now wonder why he took it down?). On the other hand, it doesn't make any sense to pay so much to a youtuber with 21 thousand subscribers. I mean, I really don't want to offend/belittle him or his channel, but if I were to use that much money (he spoke of about a triple of his annual teacher salary) to promote a song, there are soooo many ways of doing so more efficiently... So I wonder maybe the offer was fake?

Zonne147
23rd March 2019, 11:07
He said that he recieved phone call from officials in a undisclosed country who offered him money to react to their country's entry as well as other songs by the artist.

Oh, I understand now. Thank you! When I woke up the video was already deleted.

EscGeek
23rd March 2019, 11:10
I'm more shocked that people are so easilly influenced.

"Oh, my favorite youtuber, likes song x, therefore, i must like it too, even though i secretly hate it" xrofl

Preuss
23rd March 2019, 11:12
Why Malta though? I know they love ESC there but why is everyone pointing at them?

Realest
23rd March 2019, 11:33
Why Malta though? I know they love ESC there but why is everyone pointing at them?

Because there have been several jury-scandals around malta in the past and this year they have a realistic chance to win.

Citelis
23rd March 2019, 11:53
Yaeh why people think that the reaction of a random youtuber is important to them to decide if they like the song or not?

Lindon
23rd March 2019, 11:57
It doesn't make much sense.

Soul
23rd March 2019, 12:06
Yaeh why people think that the reaction of a random youtuber is important to them to decide if they like the song or not?Let's say you're on the fence about one of the entries and then you're watching a reaction that goes into detail about why the song is obviously good, gives insight on the lyrical content and the connection to the artist...wouldn't that change your opinion at least a bit? And couldn't this bit be the difference between liking the song and actually rooting for it and its artist and thus really, really wanting it to do well?

Citelis
23rd March 2019, 12:12
Let's say you're on the fence about one of the entries and then you're watching a reaction that goes into detail about why the song is obviously good, gives insight on the lyrical content and the connection to the artist...wouldn't that change your opinion at least a bit? And couldn't this bit be the difference between liking the song and actually rooting for it and its artist and thus really, really wanting it to do well?

Usually if im on the fence about an entry i listen to it many times and usually it either grows on my or fades!

Schlagerman1
23rd March 2019, 12:15
Wow, more Eurovision-draamaa!
https://images.cdn.yle.fi/image/upload/w_1024,dpr_1.0,fl_lossy,f_auto,q_auto,d_yle-tv2.jpg/v1523450713/13-1-3332544.jpg

I saw the video tonight, and I have watched quite a lot of him and he seems like a very geniune guy, so I don't believe he has made this up. I am glad he didn't mention the country, and even put the video down, cause this is something that EBU should at least keep an eye on and they don't need our "hatestorms" for that. Surely they can't do anything about this, this has nothing to do with the contest itself or the voting (I don't think that many would change their minds if they looked at him saying differently). But it is good though if the EBU contacts him, just to know which country it is and note this, just to make sure the broadcaster or the people behind the entry plans something else, more inclined with the voting in may.

Teaisloveable
23rd March 2019, 12:35
I don't think he made this up, he was indeed very shaken on the video (I now wonder why he took it down?). On the other hand, it doesn't make any sense to pay so much to a youtuber with 21 thousand subscribers. I mean, I really don't want to offend/belittle him or his channel, but if I were to use that much money (he spoke of about a triple of his annual teacher salary) to promote a song, there are soooo many ways of doing so more efficiently... So I wonder maybe the offer was fake?

I do wonder, maybe a smaller channel would be more likely to take a bribe? If you asked a larger channel they may be in a better financial position to call the country out, but a smaller channel could be convinced about the money and viewer/ subscriber count they could see. Although I'm just speculating!

People are very impressionable. In general, people are swayed by what those they look up to say. Sure, I personally am not going to be swayed in this way. I like what I like when it comes to Eurovision, but I can definitely see how some would, perhaps younger viewers?

Schlagerman1
23rd March 2019, 12:37
Oh and he has now answered us on a comment through youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6C-ZfilKOaNved3A3XAwvA/community?lb=Ugz_WLb-6rekRbgUjYR4AaABCQ

"Well...I asked you all for advice on how to handle the situation, and I got it. I’ve handed this over to the EBU to investigate like so many of you suggested. They have everything I have, and I will let them do the investigating. I will move forward doing what I do which is reacting.Thank you all for the advice and support. The situation I was put in was not of my choosing. I decided in filming the video that I in not reveal the country in question because I did not want what happened to me to have any impact on the competition, but I reluctantly chose to address it as a means of getting advice from y’all on what to do. Let’s give the EBU a proper chance at sorting this out. I will definitely keep y’all posted.��✌️"

Good, now everything is on EBUs table at least. :)

Clinty
23rd March 2019, 12:54
I was sceptical but I guess if he's actually told the EBU about it then I doubt he'd go that far if it were all bullshit?

I will CACKLE if it's Cyprus and it leads to them getting kicked out or something lmfao

A-lister
23rd March 2019, 13:06
Let's say you're on the fence about one of the entries and then you're watching a reaction that goes into detail about why the song is obviously good, gives insight on the lyrical content and the connection to the artist...wouldn't that change your opinion at least a bit? And couldn't this bit be the difference between liking the song and actually rooting for it and its artist and thus really, really wanting it to do well?

Nope... sheep-like people are pathetic and that's just that... if someone makes up their choice based on someone else's opinion then they are just weak. Taste is a personal subjective matter. Don't get me wrong, I like to sometimes watch reaction videos and am interested in the opinions of others, but that shouldn't effect my own. Also I like Jake, but still his opinion is his and that's it.

A-lister
23rd March 2019, 13:09
I do wonder, maybe a smaller channel would be more likely to take a bribe? If you asked a larger channel they may be in a better financial position to call the country out, but a smaller channel could be convinced about the money and viewer/ subscriber count they could see. Although I'm just speculating!

Considering Wiwibloggs takes money from Kirkorov's team it's not about the size of the channel but the moral of the people running it...

BorisBubbles
23rd March 2019, 13:10
Eh, if true it wouldn't shock me. Some nations are desp enough to approach youtubers (and some youtubers are morally impaired enough to accept the offer). IF it's not a hoax, of course.

Soul
23rd March 2019, 13:13
Guess, I'm pathetic then :D I don't say that reactions can turn your opinion 180° but sometimes they change my opinion in one way or another. As in: "Maybe I should give it another listen and see if it grows on me"

A-lister
23rd March 2019, 13:17
Guess, I'm pathetic then :D I don't say that reactions can turn your opinion 180° but sometimes they change my opinion in one way or another. As in: "Maybe I should give it another listen and see if it grows on me"

:lol: I didn't really mean it like that, so sorry if it came across harsher... I mean to give songs a second chance is one thing, we do it all the time I guess and songs can grow on you or fade surely... but to be shallowly persuaded to change one's taste / opinion based on someone else's it's something else...

EscGeek
23rd March 2019, 13:28

You should do that regardless! Why do you think there's a 2 month-ish break between the last song release and the first semi final? xbike

Etanna
23rd March 2019, 13:31
both Matt's and Jake's videos are down. Do you think it's the EBU who made them do it?

Soul
23rd March 2019, 13:42
^Jake took his video down because he "resolved" the issue by reporting it to the EBU and most likely doesn't want it to derail the actual purpose of his channel. And I guess Matt took his video down, because it features scenes of the now-deleted Jake-video.

:lol: I didn't really mean it like that, so sorry if it came across harsher... I mean to give songs a second chance is one thing, we do it all the time I guess and songs can grow on you or fade surely... but to be shallowly persuaded to change one's taste / opinion based on someone else's it's something else...Don't worry - I see what you mean and I actually agree. :D Of course those reaction videos shouldn't be able to change ones opinion too much.

PinchyCrabstina
23rd March 2019, 13:51
Jake said in the video that he had been asked to react to not only the specific entry but also other songs by the same artist. This could be a clue. Do we have any reaction channels that has reacted to multiple songs by an artist this year?

Teaisloveable
23rd March 2019, 13:56
Nope... sheep-like people are pathetic and that's just that... if someone makes up their choice based on someone else's opinion then they are just weak. Taste is a personal subjective matter. Don't get me wrong, I like to sometimes watch reaction videos and am interested in the opinions of others, but that shouldn't effect my own. Also I like Jake, but still his opinion is his and that's it.

The opinions of others absolutely should effect your own though? Not just because they belong to someone else, but because listening to other view points allows you to look at things in a different light. Maybe someone says something that you had not considered before. You aren't going to agree with everything you hear of course (that would be pretty scary) but to set your opinion in stone just because it is yours. I don't know, it doesn't sit right with me. In terms of Eurovision/ music/, but also for pretty much anything really.

I would say though, that it isn't good at all to like/ agree with something just because it was said by someone you follow/ look up to. You absolutely need to form your own opinions, whilst being open to other arguments.

As for Wiwibloggs, I don't know about that. Morals probably play a role too in many situations - but I don't know enough about that situation to comment on it.

BorisBubbles
23rd March 2019, 14:20
Wiwibloggs loving Russia last year had nothing to do with politics. William Lee Adams has a brother with cerebral palsy, I think? Anyway, a certain medical condition that confines his brother to a wheelchair + personal care 24/sevs. He projected his love and concern for his brother onto Julia because she's in a similar predicament and he empathises with her; which isn't the same as accepting bribes.

Anyway, I don't really watch reaction vids all that much anyway (not even Matt's, though I do tune in on his livestream rehearsal reactions; that's how I found this place, after all.). I find them often forced and fake; randos analyzing any music while also *talking over the song during that alleged """""first""""" listen* is annoying as hell to me.

and besides, their taste and opinions are never as good or elaborate as my own. :( Sad. :(

Alaska49
23rd March 2019, 15:12
quick someone find out if any entry this year is sponsored by a known attention shore whose countryis already involved in petty controversy about wiwibloggs polls

Antho
23rd March 2019, 15:55
I think this is Armenia. Well, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's really them.

EscTurkey
23rd March 2019, 16:16
the question is, how the hell did they find his phone number?

Fast
23rd March 2019, 17:06
He seemed to be more shocked about what "they" proposed him, than how they actually got his phone number!

hawadharma
23rd March 2019, 17:31
the question is, how the hell did they find his phone number?

We live in the era where you can even be recognised from a photo on facebook with all details entailed. Even back then we have the phone book directory. Not shocking at all.

AshleyWright
23rd March 2019, 18:21
Well you can rule some out by logic. I don't think it is Malta, as they say they were asked to react to other songs by the singer. Michela only has her x factor performances and a few random live cover videos on yt from a quick glance. If it's true it will likely be someone with a more established artist I imagine.

Matt
23rd March 2019, 18:59
^Jake took his video down because he "resolved" the issue by reporting it to the EBU and most likely doesn't want it to derail the actual purpose of his channel. And I guess Matt took his video down, because it features scenes of the now-deleted Jake-video.

That.

I will talk a little bit more about it in my Live Stream today but I took it down for that exact reason.

Tinchey
23rd March 2019, 19:24
I think this is Armenia. Well, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's really them.

Could be especially considering their video is being overplayed because it pops up as an ad on yt, and I loved how Srbuk was surprised the video got 1,5 million views in just one day. :')

A-lister
23rd March 2019, 22:38
The opinions of others absolutely should effect your own though? Not just because they belong to someone else, but because listening to other view points allows you to look at things in a different light. Maybe someone says something that you had not considered before. You aren't going to agree with everything you hear of course (that would be pretty scary) but to set your opinion in stone just because it is yours. I don't know, it doesn't sit right with me. In terms of Eurovision/ music/, but also for pretty much anything really.

I would say though, that it isn't good at all to like/ agree with something just because it was said by someone you follow/ look up to. You absolutely need to form your own opinions, whilst being open to other arguments.

As for Wiwibloggs, I don't know about that. Morals probably play a role too in many situations - but I don't know enough about that situation to comment on it.

For something as subjective as music, sure one can listen to other people's opinions (nothing wrong in that), but if one person can change their taste 180 based on what someone else's say then yeah, it's odd.

I wouldn't mix musical taste with for instance changing one's world-view or political views based on new facts or experience... not the same thing really.. .. anyways I explained in my second comment what I meant more in detail.

A-lister
23rd March 2019, 22:40
Wiwibloggs loving Russia last year had nothing to do with politics. William Lee Adams has a brother with cerebral palsy, I think? Anyway, a certain medical condition that confines his brother to a wheelchair + personal care 24/sevs. He projected his love and concern for his brother onto Julia because she's in a similar predicament and he empathises with her; which isn't the same as accepting bribes.

You think or you know? Anyways what does that have to do with the annual pro-Russian and anti-Ukrainian articles they spit out every year since Euromaidan? Coincidence? And other random articles about Kirkorov and his music and team? And now about Maruv... is he personally involved there too? ... nah...

Anyways, it was just a comment that the size / popularity of a blog/channel doesn't necessarily mean that there can't be any shady backdoor sponsoring going on... in the end of the day these people also need to earn money, just some got low morals.

randajad
23rd March 2019, 23:15
quick someone find out if any entry this year is sponsored by a known attention shore whose countryis already involved in petty controversy about wiwibloggs polls

Jacques? xheat

Tbh, who really cares about this and does it really matter? It is not nice and noble thing to do, but that country just wanted a bit more promotion, and not that it is not already quite common in the review genre on YT. Just chill :lol:

DaFlo
23rd March 2019, 23:17
This fake.

How do we know this was a real offer? How does he even know it was real? Probably just some obsessed fan calling him and tryna push their favorite. The amount of money that was apparently offered is ridiculous lol :lol:

Stay woke people

Ezio
24th March 2019, 00:08
cheating is a sign of the times with jupiter square neptune. Jupiter in sag also bloats egos while neptune in pisces is a very fishy fellow

Pawhlen
24th March 2019, 00:27
I guess I most have missed something here,

But if I were to guess (in case this is not fake), wouldn´t ::nl feel at least some suspect (thinking about that massive hate that girl got when she put up a video showing her reaction to the ::nl entry)

BorisBubbles
24th March 2019, 00:40
You think or you know? Anyways what does that have to do with the annual pro-Russian and anti-Ukrainian articles they spit out every year since Euromaidan? Coincidence? And other random articles about Kirkorov and his music and team? And now about Maruv... is he personally involved there too? ... nah...

I don't quite understand your point? I know the basics of psychology and I know that William has a brother in a wheelchair (he has mentioned him several times on his vlogs). His lyrical praise for Julia was always about Julia's resillience and inner strength, not about her song (something which he always deliberately avoided discussing whenever possible). He empathised with whom she was as a person and defended her because of his own personal background. That's all.

No idea what your anti-Russia Witch Hunt / Ukraine rants have to do with that, but idk, perhaps you've gone too far down that particular rabbit hole to see anything else. Perhaps I'm too ignorant and naive to notice the truth. Ain't the point tho. ESC Bloggers often have human motives for their actions, moreso than bribery.

Now as for *this* instance of alleged bribery. No clue whether it's true or not, but in any case, the EBU appears to have been informed: if valid charges can be made, there will be a follow-up behind the screens of sorts (presumably a fine. This offense, if true, is hardly grounds for disqualification)

BorisBubbles
24th March 2019, 00:41
Also, Alaska is probably right, it's probably Houdek (or Armenia whom we know have employed fake likes), if valid.

A-lister
24th March 2019, 01:04
I don't quite understand your point? I know the basics of psychology and I know that William has a brother in a wheelchair (he has mentioned him several times on his vlogs). His lyrical praise for Julia was always about Julia's resillience and inner strength, not about her song (something which he always deliberately avoided discussing whenever possible). He empathised with whom she was as a person and defended her because of his own personal background. That's all.

No idea what your anti-Russia Witch Hunt / Ukraine rants have to do with that, but idk, perhaps you've gone too far down that particular rabbit hole to see anything else. Perhaps I'm too ignorant and naive to notice the truth. Ain't the point tho. ESC Bloggers often have human motives for their actions, moreso than bribery.

Now as for *this* instance of alleged bribery. No clue whether it's true or not, but in any case, the EBU appears to have been informed: if valid charges can be made, there will be a follow-up behind the screens of sorts (presumably a fine. This offense, if true, is hardly grounds for disqualification)

I didn't know about William's personal story to be frank, and now when I know I can understand why he is emphasizing with her (in fact I think we can all do in some sense), however not sure why making sob stories about how Ukraine is practically this supposedly " evil dysfunctional country " though is the same thing as emphasizing with a singer in a wheel-chair? but ok, each to their own... just read their stories about Maruv and their videos on the matter... or is this also a " personal human motive "? xshrug

I won't go much deeper into that though as it is no news any more what I think, however you can always go back and check their old articles (and newer as well) on the topics Russia / Ukraine / Kirkorov and make your own mind up... that's all I can say on the matter... maybe I'm in a " rabbit hole ", but if you run these stories annually and push a certain narrative you can find a pattern and I am not sure as to why the biggest Eurovision blog would have to do that if it's not about money as they have no personal interests in the matter other than that...

hawadharma
24th March 2019, 01:28
My real question is, how did Jake know that the person is an official representing the said country? Did he/she present his/her ID?

For all we know, it might be just a fanatic fan with wild imagination

Clinty
24th March 2019, 02:09
This was some pretty boring drama tbh
I need more oomph. More scandal

Ezio
24th March 2019, 10:14
This was some pretty boring drama tbh
I need more oomph. More scandal

This your time to get a life

ESCada
24th March 2019, 11:31
I think it's all made up for attention tbh.

The whole story seems fake and random, if a delegation is actually gonna offer that type of cash for a 3 minute video review of their song they could actually bribe juries and score REAL points.
Drama channels on youtube are big and I am pretty certain this is just a REACH.
Also, didn't he mention something like I don't have receipts in the video? What did he submit to the EBU? A napkin with a flag drawn on it?

PUH-LEASE

https://media1.tenor.com/images/af39c4e227cc94c7fcec21593607f165/tenor.gif?itemid=9819946

Matt
25th March 2019, 05:10
I think it's all made up for attention tbh.

The whole story seems fake and random, if a delegation is actually gonna offer that type of cash for a 3 minute video review of their song they could actually bribe juries and score REAL points.
Drama channels on youtube are big and I am pretty certain this is just a REACH.
Also, didn't he mention something like I don't have receipts in the video? What did he submit to the EBU? A napkin with a flag drawn on it?

PUH-LEASE

https://media1.tenor.com/images/af39c4e227cc94c7fcec21593607f165/tenor.gif?itemid=9819946

He said the exact opposite, he has evidence and has submitted it to the EBU.

aef
25th March 2019, 09:20
Hahaha I just now read about the "scandal" in this thread and tbh it's pretty ridiculous... Why would anybody offer that guy money, his videos are pretty bad and useless.

Lindon
26th March 2019, 15:14
There are other ways to influence the outcome of the ESC which are much more effective. In Romania, you can hire call centers for relatively little money, which technically pretend to call from any country, with ever-changing phone numbers.

Gera11
26th March 2019, 16:53
In Romania, you can hire call centers for relatively little money, which technically pretend to call from any country, with ever-changing phone numbers.

Really? You'd think TVR would have bigger televoting numbers if it was so easy

Lindon
26th March 2019, 17:05
I worked in a very big company in Germany in the early 2000s. We had our own Call Center. But the people were laid of, because is was cheaper to hire Romanian Call Centers that pretended to be German. Most customers didn't recognize the difference, because of their excellent German and the displays showed German phone numbers.

Sammy
28th March 2019, 23:19
And remember a couple of years ago, when one country issued prepaid sim-cards through their embassies to enhance the diaspora vote.

hawadharma
29th March 2019, 04:03
And remember a couple of years ago, when one country issued prepaid sim-cards through their embassies to enhance the diaspora vote.

Yasssss

DenizESC
29th March 2019, 13:54
I'm pretty sure this is real tbh!! I have a friend that's really big in social media and she had been offered some crazy things as this also for big money (not esc), it happens very often in the social media world. And guys trust me, you, me, everyone we do get influenced by tv, social media/internet, simply by other humans! Yes others do not entirely change our perspectives always but they can influence them a lot, which is why corrupt countries want monopoly over media and even internet. Even in ESC I have noticed this, even in this forum...

With that said I have some countries in my mind who could do that but I will keep that to myself to avoid any unnecessary drama on it.

DenizESC
29th March 2019, 13:55

Yes. Truest thing said in this thread! Bravo