PDA

View Full Version : 2019 shaping up to be a bad year

Playfulmitch
5th March 2019, 08:30
Sad to say that this is shaping up to be the most boring Eurovision in about 10+ years!

This has been such a great decade for Eurovision with each year building on the previous one and more and more credible, quality songs get selected.

But I feel we are closing out the decade with an overwhelming batch of bland, forgettable songs.

Does anyone else agree?

BorisBubbles
5th March 2019, 09:09
Yes well, not every year is going to be strong. This year is mediocre so far, but I'll enjoy it never the less. It's still far off from actually bad esc years, so...

KingJulian
5th March 2019, 10:24
Well I can see why people complain about quality of entries but let's be real this ESC won't be boring. We'll probably have plenty of over the top performances, music genres never seen at Eurovision before and (like in 2018) quite many non-english songs.

GlamSIMorous
5th March 2019, 10:37
OH GOD YOU GUYS! Stop it! No need to start a thread again!! :?

mauve
5th March 2019, 10:48
It was a really bad year until this past weekend when the bangers came! xcheer There are many songs I really can't listen to, some mediocre and a few very good songs. And these "few" make it to an "okay"-year. Compared to for example 2009, this is a very weak year, but not the worst anymore.

Edweis
5th March 2019, 11:50
Yes there are some deceptive choices, but for me it's not as terrible as people make it out to be. We have quite a few interesting entries with various genres we still hadn't seen in Eurovision, a good number of songs in the mother language (it's actually one of the main reasons I follow Eurovision).
Most songs didn't get more than a 6 from me, but it happens every year so no I'm not too disappointed.

Schlagerman1
5th March 2019, 11:58
With last year being extremly good in my opinion, I did get the feeling that it would be slightly weaker. Though thanks to last weekend, the quality did improve quite a lot and now I really looking forward to the show in Tel Aviv.
However, all these complains, not only on this year, but also on people liking songs that people don't like (like France for example) is completly pointless, let people like what they want. I always try to be positive and even if I have a few songs that I don't like or don't care about, I always give them a chance to grow. Cause there have been a few in the past that on the night, made a complete 360 and went from the bottom to the top (Iceland 2009 and Albania 2012 are the biggest examples of this).

EscGeek
5th March 2019, 11:59
There it is! Our annual thread makes a return after one year hiatus:lol:
I agree this time though. I hope i'll like at least more than 50% of songs in the end. (Which is still a low number)

SwedishFailurez
5th March 2019, 12:29
Yeah... Another ''This gonna be a bad year''-thread even if we only have heard 26 of the 41 entries yet.
Even if I agree this year is more on the mediocre side of song quality overall, but we have to see what the remaining entries have to offer.

EscTurkey
5th March 2019, 12:29
Actually it's not that this year is full of horrible songs. It's just that there are many mediocre middle ground ones that I rank around 5-7. 2017 and 2018 were so good with many different genres and expremential songs, they put the stake so high. 2019 was a downfall compared to them.

popavapeur
5th March 2019, 13:15
the songs aren't bad at all, it's just they're beige. So it feels weak.
during the 00's we had a lot of BAD SONGS but some were entertaining. So it depends on what side you are : A quality ESC to make the contest look more serious and relevant but with a lot of beige quality radio songs OR an unbalanced ESC with a lot of entertaining crap and a few hits that will stand outs but it will look like a freakshow-circus from people outside the bubble.

aef
5th March 2019, 13:46
Normally I'm quite annoyed by those threads but I tend to agree this year. Well it's not exactly bad but there are MANY very boring or bland songs... Or songs I just don't like. You see, I'd say that topic is always deeply relying on personal taste... So I think it's quite an useless discussion.

I like it that 2019 could be a very open year though... I don't really expect ::ru to send that strong frontrunner (but of course they will stay in the group of possible contenders I guess). Countries like ::at ::ch ::am ::az and so on could still totally surprise of course but I think that's not very likely. I looks like there will be a bunch of favourites, just like in 2011

Realest
5th March 2019, 14:02
This year will be like 2015 and 17 where 9-10 good Songs will get 85-90% of all Televotes.

aef
5th March 2019, 14:16
This year will be like 2015 and 17 where 9-10 good Songs will get 85-90% of all Televotes.

Yeah you might be right with that and maybe it will be also more like 2015 than 2011 in terms of having kinda tight race at the top but not such a diverse voting like in 2011...

Kruto
5th March 2019, 15:17
Last year is overrated, I only loved one song and liked a few others, now I already have two that I absolutely love.

Alaska49
5th March 2019, 15:36
someone KILL THIS DAMN NARRATIVE ALREADY it's beyond dumb lmao it's like people actively want the year to be bad at this point

BorisBubbles
5th March 2019, 16:00
someone KILL THIS DAMN NARRATIVE ALREADY it's beyond dumb lmao it's like people actively want the year to be bad at this point

Precisely. Spoiler: this year was OKAY even before Saturday and guess what, it's still fucking OKAY right bloody now.

Ichbinjari
5th March 2019, 20:54
The best still has to come. Sweden, Russia, Netherlands, Austria, Azerbaijan are always serving it! (with exceptions ofcourse). I also think Switzerland and Greece can suprise us in a good way :)

njdevils94
5th March 2019, 20:57
I quite like this year ;)

Realest
5th March 2019, 20:58
The last 3-4 days saved this year.

midnightsun
5th March 2019, 20:59

Why? There've been some years which are known as "poor years" by a large Eurovision audience resp. the ESC bubble. I think many agree that 2008 and 2013 were some of the most disappointing in recent years (feel free to disagree, i KNOW there will be some saying this was such a GOOD year how can you say this...). Also 2017 was not that appreciated as far as I can remember but 2018 actually was. Most people will say so. Exceptions confirm the rule.

I'm not the usual "this year sucks" member. When I dislike a year, I will firmly tell you as much as I show my enthsiasm when I love a year (happened last year; I was so thrilled and couldnt choose between many of the songs to be a favourite).

I think this happens to most of the members here. So this thread has its right to be opened. It's good to discuss whether others feel the same or not.

This year I have a feeling this will be one of my worst ESCs ever. And I've seen a lot. Actually almost all at one time or another. So yeah, this time I say it:

THIS YEAR SUCKS - so far. :-)

But I will watch it anyway. There will be some country at some point I will be rooting for. Don't know yet which one as I don't have any favourite so far, but we will see.

0scar
5th March 2019, 21:06
I don't like this year so far
There's literally one song I vaguely care about and listen to sporadically, while last year I've been listening to several songs for weeks at this point before the contest

The songs to come might be the change but I'd definitely say it's a bad ESC year for now

njdevils94
5th March 2019, 21:21
The last 3-4 days saved this year.

Overreaction :p

Alaska49
5th March 2019, 21:36
we don't have all the songs and everyone's opinions on everything can change drastically once eurovision staging comes into play anyway. saying this year sucks is 100% tunnel vision, not that i expect better from this board at this point lol.

opinionsigotem
5th March 2019, 21:36
2019 is definitely shaping up to be a bad year because Brexit is about to happen oh no

Iker
5th March 2019, 22:06
It's the same talk every year ... I feel. :lol: Isn't it?

DanielLuis
5th March 2019, 22:08
we don't have all the songs and everyone's opinions on everything can change drastically once eurovision staging comes into play anyway. saying this year sucks is 100% tunnel vision, not that i expect better from this board at this point lol.

This is literally, and I mean literally, the narrative of the forum during february-march every single year.

Preuss
5th March 2019, 22:23
2019 is definitely shaping up to be a bad year because Brexit is about to happen oh no

Do UK citizens know what EU and Brexit is by this point though? :lol:

Ezio
5th March 2019, 23:19
Sad to say that this is shaping up to be the most boring Eurovision in about 10+ years!

This has been such a great decade for Eurovision with each year building on the previous one and more and more credible, quality songs get selected.

But I feel we are closing out the decade with an overwhelming batch of bland, forgettable songs.

Does anyone else agree?

All I can say to you is "Hvala, ne" for this thread.

We read it every year but Eurovision keeps getter better.

Eurovision this year will only end up badly and boring for Australia.

anaraqueen
6th March 2019, 00:35
it's the first time i've heard this!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've seen worse years

CaspianMortis
6th March 2019, 12:34
So far, this year is a disappointment for me and the song quality seems much worse than last year, but I do like some songs.

Franzilein
6th March 2019, 12:48
These threads keep popping up every year and it's so ridiculous. There will always be people who don't like any of the songs, you cannot please everyone. Doesn't mean it's a bad year however. You can still appreciate the variety of music we get presented. Just try to compare Iceland, Australia, Portugal, Spain, Hungary, Norway, Italy, Slovenia... super diverse.
Many people consider 2016 to be the best ESC quality-wise (at least that's what I gather from comments I read) – to me it's the one that's most radio-friendly of all years. A lot were actually easy to listen to, so of course people will remember it as a "good year".

theditz83
6th March 2019, 12:52
There have been a lot of safe choices in NFs I think, but what we have to remember being stuck in the Eurovision bubble as us fans always are is that as soon as the Eurovision pre-shows start up and we gradually get a feel for how the performances will look on-stage in May during the rehearsal weeks, we really can't be sure just how the whole Eurovision experience will look overall just by analysing the songs and NF performances/music videos. Personally, I probably have around half of the songs currently selected that I enjoy with 4-5 that I am actively looping on my Spotify playlists as my faves, but I'm sure that will change as we get closer to the contest.

I know that some of the outstanding countries still to reveal or select their entries will bring some fire as well, so no panic for me just yet xup

Clinty
6th March 2019, 12:59
asdfasdf get a life yall try writing a song this year's perfectly fine

Tinchey
6th March 2019, 16:58
IMHO this is the best year of 10s, and I know more good/amazing entries are coming up... literally only ::lt::ee::fi and ::no suck imo.

RainyWoods
6th March 2019, 17:41
Last ESC year I properly enjoyed was 2016. The problem with this year thus far is that there's just so much middle of the road stuff that's doing nothing to entice me, and I'm fairly certain never will interest me. I have four songs I love this year, which is alright. I don't need to love everything. Serbia meanwhile I think is a nice song but that's pretty much it. In good years I'll have seven or eight songs I love and then at least could fill or come close to filling a top 20 with songs I find enjoyable (the nice songs I'm happy to put on a playlist). When a Euro trash connoisseur can't even get into whatever Australia is trying to be, there's a problem.

Eurovision has also reached this really uncomfortable point in its lifetime when countries seemingly are trying to add a touch of something alternative to their entries. Listening to X Factor/Voice rejects mumbling to unadventurous, heavily watered-down synth/indie pop isn't exactly my idea of a good time. In fact, it's high-key my idea of a nightmare. The bastardizing of genres I'm passionately into outside of the contest is challenging for me. It all feels so cold and plastic. I can let go of myself for Eurovision (it's part of the fun and you have to) but I just can't listen to some of the stuff we've been getting lately.

Of course, this is all subjective though. A bad year for one person is a good year for another, and vice versa. If Serhat and Tamara deliver the goods and two or three other decent internal picks happen then the year will at least be survivable for me. I'm not having a great time though this year. For 2020 I think maybe I should follow things less intently. Might stop me moaning as well which would be good for everyone <3

Karhu
6th March 2019, 17:52
I don't know if my standards have dropped or what, but for my tastes this is the best ESC year in a really long time :D And that's not counting a lot of potentially promising entries from countries like Greece, Poland, Azerbaijan, etc. that haven't been revealed yet.

A-lister
6th March 2019, 18:31
I think many agree that 2008 and 2013 were some of the most disappointing in recent years (feel free to disagree, i KNOW there will be some saying this was such a GOOD year how can you say this...). Also 2017 was not that appreciated as far as I can remember but 2018 actually was. Most people will say so. Exceptions confirm the rule.

2008 disappointing!? How very dare you!? xgaah :lol: ... It's probably one of the best ESC years period ...

Anyhoo... 2018 was surprisingly great coming off some kinda meh years... I am not sure though why people think 2016 was this great year? What am I missing here? It was decent I guess xshrug

Anyways, ESC goes in cycles I guess, for me years tend to come in pairs (2004-2005, 2008-2009) but then I have those stand-alone years 2012 and 2018 that were surrounded with kind of meh years for me but still managed to be good years...

I'll come back on my verdict on 2019 when all songs have been chosen though...

VikingTiger
6th March 2019, 22:52
A bit too early to tell how 2019 will eventually turn out. But as for now it doesnt seem to become a favourite year of mine. So far I've handed out only one 12... to MARUV... :(.... So I still dont have any 12p for now....
I think that throughout these last editions of the ESC we have seen and heard quite a few rather good pop songs, with good productions and good vocals on stage. That is a good thing, but too few of the songs stands out, any most are not very memorable.
I did find 2018 to be a good year. And more so 2015 before that. But no edition comes close to 2009. 2008 was also a very good year for me - although the winner was obviously not the right one...

FilipFromSweden
7th March 2019, 19:15
First of all, I feel like this is a discussion every year. If it's a good year or not can only be said once I've seen everything on the real stage. Every year I think some entries are amazing and some are complete trash and a good 80 % of my opinion changes once I see it live on TV.

I haven't heard all entries as well, I enjoy saving some and not listening to everything before it's time. What I have heard though seems rather standard quality-wise. Is it a bad year? Too early to call. I guess last year is hard to top, a year where I enjoyed almost every entry in some way.

Citelis
7th March 2019, 19:32
I think that it is going to be a good year in the end! Well not everything is good but lets be honest its not possible for someone to like everything among 40+ songs. It could be a better year but i believe its unfair to call it a bad year overrall!

LesterMalvo
7th March 2019, 19:32
"The worst year in the past 10+ years" is a bit extreme. We still have 2013 for a reason.

Realest
7th March 2019, 19:40
The last 5-6 days saved it, but before, the Song was really bad.

EscGeek
8th March 2019, 10:43
I can't believe how much has 2019 improved xfaint
My top 10 right now consists of 8 songs from March. Only Joci and Ester are still holding on.

Not only that, but my top 5 has 3 songs from yesterday and one from today! xyaay

Laepo1
8th March 2019, 14:00
Every year there are oly 10-12 entries who are worth, and of those maybe two or three i will listen to after the show

Alaska49
8th March 2019, 14:23
these last few days didn't add anything that broke into my top 10 rofl. netherlands, switzerland and greece are close but not there.

glad people are happy now tho

Iker
8th March 2019, 14:52
these last few days didn't add anything that broke into my top 10 rofl. netherlands, switzerland and greece are close but not there.

glad people are happy now tho

The same here. It's not shaping to be a bad year neither in my book.

Ezio
8th March 2019, 15:40
My trash bin for generic bops is overflowing this year. I need to recycle.

LastDreamer
8th March 2019, 15:48
My # 1 is Australia with 7 / 10.

ZoboCamel
9th March 2019, 01:11
I can't believe how much has 2019 improved xfaint
My top 10 right now consists of 8 songs from March. Only Joci and Ester are still holding on.

Not only that, but my top 5 has 3 songs from yesterday and one from today! xyaay

Yep, similar case for me too - 8 out of my top 10 are from this last week (only Hungary and Slovenia still holding on).

I said previously that these final weeks would really have to bring some good stuff to make this more than just a meh year for me, so I was concerned; but the turnaround has been real!

It's still not a super-strong year or anything, but as far as the best years of this decade go I think this should at least beat out 2011 and 2013 for me now (it would've been last in that ranking if things had continued as-is). Here's hoping the last few songs are good enough to maybe push the year up by another position xpray

anaraqueen
9th March 2019, 01:30
2013 is great wtf

Alaska49
9th March 2019, 03:34
2013 APPRECIATION ALWAYS AND FOREVER

Clinty
9th March 2019, 04:42
the mere presence of Petra Mede can elevate any year to incredamazing heights regardless of song quality, and then 2013 had good song quality anyway sooo....

midnightsun
9th March 2019, 11:25
Okay. I guess I have to deal with it. With only 5 songs left to be released my hopes for someone to save this contest for me are low. Only Sergey can save it, so PULEASSS Sergey... do it!!! If he won’t then this year is for sure the worst year ever for me. So far I have no 12 points - I‘d give my „faves“ this year a maximum of ten. My faves are a few songs (4 to 5 only) that I like much but I don’t LOVE them to pieces. Which is sad because I had at least 2 songs each year in the past I would stan.

Anyway, the biggest advantage is I can lean back and watch the contest unexcitedly, can concentrate my votes on the only one I‘ll support most and don’t need to get upset about the winner! :)

LastDreamer
10th March 2019, 08:04
It's the second year in all Eurovision history (after 1988), when the highest song in my ranking will get somewhere near 6 out of 10. Based on the current-line up I will not watch Eurovision in this year and with high probability in the future too. I lost my hope in this contest.

Only Australia sent a song, which I like in this year.
Serbian entry is very boring and nothing special, Irish singer is a victim of bad plastic surgery, the others are average, awful, male singers. xfacepalm

Hayato
10th March 2019, 10:27
Really? I think this is shaping up to be the strongest year ever! For the first time, I love all the favourites: Italy, Norway, Netherlands, Sweden, Russia (in that order). The stage and production looks great to match, too.

I also really want Hungary and Switzerland to do well. Not sure how everyone else does it but I measure the strength of the year not only based on my favourites but the strength of the depth of songs. Even my no.20, Slovenia, is a good song. There are a lot of safe songs and we're missing some guilty pleasures but it's still a very strong year to me.

I've watched/ranked all the Eurovision's from 1990 onwards and this just seems like the strongest ever at the moment. 2012-2014 were strong years, as was 2009. 2015-2018 were OK.

randajad
10th March 2019, 10:44
I was very very very sceptical about this year, and then internal selection happened, and now my opinion did a 180 degree turn, so we good now. xcheer

Ianp16
11th March 2019, 02:22
For me this year's songs are the best since I became a superfan in 2014. I'm excited for this year. The best since 2016.

Lonter
11th March 2019, 03:10
Definitely an excellent year, and it kind of has always been one? Starting with Albania and Spain already was excellent.

PostGameParty
11th March 2019, 04:13
2019 is shaping up to be a great year!

RainyWoods
11th March 2019, 04:25
I like how I complained so hard about this year and then right at the end I've been gifted a couple of depressing piano ballads, a Georgian man screaming, whatever Ireland is supposed to be, and the greatest, probably most me-suitable pop treat imaginable courtesy of San Marino. Austria even providing me with the classic slightly weird entry that fans don't like and that I feel the need to defend at every possible moment. I thought I'd escaped a year of being me, and now I've got the most me Eurovision top 10 ever. This is both sad and invigorating. Everyone is now going to be looking at me like.. "aw.. bless, that's Rainy right there. Never changes....... tragic".

JonnyWest
11th March 2019, 04:30
I still think that overall 2018 has better songs. But the top songs of this year are REALLY good, so this year is not bad at all :p

A-lister
12th March 2019, 16:43
This is a peculiar year, coming off an unusual strong 2018 with a strong top. 3, it seems most countries are aiming for very basic and bland ballads or midtempo songs this year, surprising to be honest imo. Is it because they don't want to win or they think juries will support the safe choices? With that said, we also have some bops this year (::mt ::cy ::no ::es) but most interestingly we have some entries that are really out there, feel fresh not only to the contest but generally and are unusually daring for ESC like ::it , ::is , ::pt for instance so it all comes down to how the juries will act here, will they go for the safe as usual or will we see risks finally paying off? But yeah, in general the year is pretty basic but it has some standout entries that makes me hopeful.

Alaska49
12th March 2019, 17:20
it seems most countries are aiming for very basic and bland ballads or midtempo songs this year, surprising to be honest imo.with THAT third placer plus jury winner of last year you are surprised? absolutely not surprising. everyone who enabled the success of that beige dirge of a song is to blame for the higher number of ballads this year. most of them this year are better though.

LesterMalvo
12th March 2019, 17:57
I've changed my mind. In the past week, this year ended up being a good one.

There are 21 songs I won't complain watching at the contest and 20 songs I don't geniuely care about and won't listen to again after the contest. This is pretty much what an ordinary year goes like for me.

2019 contest, we're all good. xheart

A-lister
12th March 2019, 18:00
with THAT third placer plus jury winner of last year you are surprised? absolutely not surprising. everyone who enabled the success of that beige dirge of a song is to blame for the higher number of ballads this year. most of them this year are better though.

I think Austria last year was ok, obviously not a top. contender but top. 10 for sure, I hear your point though but then it really proves that countries only care about the jury votes now... but still you forgot the top. 2 ...

MyHeartIsYours
12th March 2019, 18:09
Throughout the entire NF's period this year was looking absolutely terrible (quite possibly the worst Eurovision ever) then right at the last minute we had a flurry of great entries that has really turned things around. Certainly my favourite Eurovision of the last three/four years!

The most common score I have given this year's entries is 10 points, and over 2/3 of the songs I would rate 6 points or above.

midnightsun
13th March 2019, 02:22
Russia and Israel saved this year. So I can say I will at least have someone to root for. It’s still a bad year though but I knew this was going to happen some day, that the day would come many songs are not my cup of tea anymore. But glad to see it gets a little more peaceable in the end.

popavapeur
13th March 2019, 12:38
Are we really sure broadcasters are aiming at some certain genres due to the previous contest ? This seems so far-fetched (unless for like 3 countries that always follow some trends) to me it's just like what the musical industry nowadays is. Are they now taking bold choices when they can ? it seems to (Italy, Iceland, Portugal) but at the same time the amount of beige entries just seems bigger.

in some national finals we had a wide variety of genres and the public tend to pick the safest one and I don't think the televote is picking while thinking about what worked the previous year. Could it be just some sort of coincidence + the reflect of our musical industry ?

Realest
5th August 2019, 11:49
Looking back it was one of the strongest Years in the 2010s. There are around 15 Songs I still keep listening. Last Year (which was extremely overrated) there were only 4.

anaraqueen
5th August 2019, 20:04
lmao it's one of the worst of the 10s music-wise and by far the worst one production-wise

Citelis
5th August 2019, 20:08
It was a good year but out of 41 songs there is only 1 i still listen daily.

Realest
5th August 2019, 20:19
::ie?

Citelis
5th August 2019, 20:20
::ie?

Yes!

Alaska49
9th August 2019, 16:46
2019 had easily the worst hosting of all time. it's not even an exaggeration lol. it was worse than 2009 in every aspect, and that year was a nightmare, so that seals it. musically it's good, as i have always said pre-show, but it's not special for the decade, which has given us strong rosters every single year from 2013 on. this year was fine, but gets lost in the big picture of eurovision history easily.

Israeliboy
10th August 2019, 19:42
Interesting whats wrong with Brazilian ppl here or they are not even Brazilians lol

anaraqueen
11th August 2019, 07:08
Interesting whats wrong with Brazilian ppl here or they are not even Brazilians lol

taste? sense? not being biased because our country wasn't the host country this year?

we'll never know

randajad
11th August 2019, 13:50
I looooved 2009 song and organisation wise :lol: I liked 2019 organization quite a bit, and there were quite a few nice entries. Imo the worst organisation was in 2010, and even then I liked it; the songs however were very bad in 2010. :lol:

BorisBubbles
14th August 2019, 11:04
I mean the hosting in general encompassing the organization, technical diffucties and the entire shitshow going on in the background? Yeah, defo one of the worst hosting jobs. It's indisputable. Utterly embarrassing hosting effort by KAN.

As far as the actual hosts go, the 2019 set wasn't very good (though I really liked Bar), far from the worst. If we follow the mathematical theorem that positive infinity is equal to negative infinity, then Toto and Gigiola are still the worst (and best) hosts of ESC. If not, then it's a toss-up between Eldar Gasimov and whoever the 2009 semi hosts were.

Alaska49
14th August 2019, 18:54
oh, i definitely think this year had the worst hosts ever. four hosts is already a bad situation by itself, and then one of them was assi azar, who made me wish i was born straight. the non-bar ones were pretty bad too and she wasn't nearly good enough to make up for it. and unlike the 2009 semi hosts, we didn't have green room reprieves with Russia's Best Human Dmitry Shepelev nor did we get rid of them in the grand final.