PDA

View Full Version : Why do a lot of countries ruin their songs?

midnightsun
20th August 2018, 20:34
While I'm constantly rewatching different song contests of all decades throughout the years I've been noticing something very interesting. It's my personal opinion though.

There were lots of countries in the past that had a great song with the potential to win. Or, at least, do well. But they ruined it. Sometimes it even led to not qualifying.

Because

- the performer(s) had an awful dress / looked ridiculous
- the singers could not sing properly live / were screaming too much on stage / voices didn't harmonize well
- they tried too many special effects that didn't come out great on tv
- they danced too much and were out of breath
- the staging was plain too boring
- the performers were less enthusiastic than in their national finals

[...] [what else can you think of?]

So - why is that? I mean, come on, in some cases I'm still asking myself was this really their best effort? why of all things did they have to choose THAT?

Just a recent random example because I'm doing my favourite Azerbaijan top 10 videos right now: Aisel !

This song actually had the chance to at least qualify. But they did everything wrong they probably could. Aisel actually has a decent voice. So why choosing the probably most challenging piece of device in the form of a seesaw? She struggled to keep her balance thus struggling to keep her voice straight. Her "dress" looked like she was wrapped in toilet paper and was no benefit for her body.
Why didn't she wear a simple flower dress, dancing happily around like in the video (of course not too much so she could breath properly) and sprinkle some sparkles?

Why is everyone going the hard way when it could be easily done otherwise.

musicfan
22nd August 2018, 02:03
Revamps don't help some songs, most of the time with songs I like I just wish they'd kept it as it was.

But if there's something I really like about a song some of that will still come through even if the performance or staging isn't that good.

Romeo
24th August 2018, 22:32
Just briefly looking at that Romania 2018 springs to mind. I love the song, it is haunting and reminds me of The Cranberries but that staging was horrible

Stiven
24th August 2018, 22:38
I don't know if it's true for other countries but for us(::mk) it's a simple case of nepotism because our government has free control of the state TV it often times hires people based on loyalty rather than merit and the same thing goes for our ESC team, which is the main reason why our performances suck.

Preuss
25th August 2018, 12:07
Azerbaijan 2014.........

I mean, I find the performance pleasant to watch really, but I can't help to think what could've been for Azerbaijan...

anaraqueen
25th August 2018, 19:00
Serbia 2013 not qualifying because of their clothes........................................... ....... I still cry every time

LesterMalvo
26th August 2018, 15:01
Triana Park failed to bring out what they had to serve. I blame it on the live performance that vocally didn't help enough.
Jüri Pootsmann did have a characteristic song which wasn't understood because he was just too nervous.
Amandine Bourgeois just experienced the disadvantage of going on stage the earliest with nice but apparently not-a-perfect-fit-for-Eurovision song of hers.

tuorem
26th August 2018, 15:11
Serbia 2013 not qualifying because of their clothes........................................... ....... I still cry every time

What were they thinking though? :lol: Was that so hard to show up with normal clothes? I don't have anything against eccentric tastes in fashion, but what they wore was ugly and rather ridiculous to me. Whoever told them it was a perfect match should have been fired right away.

anaraqueen
26th August 2018, 23:26
What were they thinking though? :lol: Was that so hard to show up with normal clothes? I don't have anything against eccentric tastes in fashion, but what they wore was ugly and rather ridiculous to me. Whoever told them it was a perfect match should have been fired right away.

even the cheap clothes from the nf were better, at least people would understand the performance!!!!! (and they would have qualified for sure)

midnightsun
31st August 2018, 01:24
I agree with many of you. Though I don't think Ljubav je svuda‎ would have qualified with better dresses.

I'm talking especially about really obvious fails. For example, why do they often choose singers who can't sing properly? Why? Germany got punished for this a few times. "Verliebt in dich" (1995) and "Run and hide" (2005) were dead last, as a reason. Macedonia's "Lost and found" flopped for different reasons, one being the outfit (again, what were they thinking?) but also because Marija Ivanovska didn't seem to be the most gifted (live) singer. Azerbaijan had to deal with that often too (Niki, Safura, Samra etc.)

I'm actually surprised that Cyprus did so well in the final this year. Sure, the song is catchy and I like it. But I would not have her ranked at no. 1 because Eleni was often out of tune and/or out of breath. A winner song is not full of such "flaws". There were other songs that didn't make it to the final because of heavy breathing and such. Macedonia 2017, Estonia 2014. Talking about the latter, the studio version of "Amazing" is amazing, hehe. I really love this. But why did they have to dance on stage? I mean... why did SHE have to dance? There are background dancers for this, right?

So tell me, what is going on in these (responsible) heads?

tuorem
31st August 2018, 09:53
I'd say in Azerbaijan's case, I feel like they have always picked most of their representatives based on how they look first and foremost, not how well they can sing, hence why we sometimes have singers with weak vocal skills (Aysel, Nikki, Samra)... I'm not saying it's a fact, it's the feeling I have. They seem to care a lot about physical apparearance.

Ezio
31st August 2018, 21:09
Songs are easily ruined with creepy staging. Attempts to come across as cool as edgy fire back as creepy and unrelatable, examples: Latvia 2017, Estonia 2016, Belgium 2018, Netherlands 2015.

Stage designers have to test whether their concept is clicking with the audience and artists have to take care of their facial expressions.

midnightsun
31st August 2018, 21:42
I know they choose "weird" oder "creepy" stagings/outfits to be remarkable, with the voting in mind.

But does it really matter? Would love to know from you guys if a dress ever stuck in your head for the better of a song/result?

All I know that an edgy outfit is a risky thing, mostly rather stuck in the head for the worse! Jamie Lee from Germany, Nina from Croatia (2016) (she was sooo weak vocally live too, so that's a prime example for what I mean that countries ruin their songs - Lighthouse [the song itself] had everything to be a huge success!), Sennek, Trijntje, Eye Cue... or said Latvia 2017 for example.

Ezio
1st September 2018, 14:37
I just watched this Top 10 of "last places"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0pTdNyeffQ

Some other good examples for perfect songs that are terribly staged:
Finland 2009 (my pre-contest favourite and my heart still aches over this result, but the staging was awful.), France 2014 (the show was a big mess, but was supposed to be fun)
Portugal 2018 did itself no favour with this distorted facial expressions that should express grief and pain, but the audience did not get it, also the co-singer seemed a bit odd

tuorem
1st September 2018, 18:15
Personally, I think it's easier to remember the clothing fails because it is distracting in certain circumstances and thus is likely to prevent you from focusing on the song.

When an act is well dressed, it's always nice but no one cares generally because there's no visual oddness that interferes with the music.

Most of the time, I don't believe fashion alone is playing a part in the results for better, however it is an element of the staging that has to be in line with the atmosphere of the song to enhance the visual experience. It all depends on what kind of image or emotion one wants to convey, hence why acts should be more aware of what their clothes tell.

LesterMalvo
1st September 2018, 18:19
Attempts to come across as cool as edgy fire back as creepy and unrelatable, examples: Latvia 2017, Estonia 2016, Belgium 2018

Two of them are my personal winners, another one is in my top 3. And I watched two of them first time live on TV, didn't recognize the profile of songs before the performances. I don't know why, but I thought they were catchy and well enough to at least qualify, yet two ended up dead last lol.

Preuss
1st September 2018, 21:20
I'd say in Azerbaijan's case, I feel like they have always picked most of their representatives based on how they look first and foremost, not how well they can sing, hence why we sometimes have singers with weak vocal skills (Aysel, Nikki, Samra)... I'm not saying it's a fact, it's the feeling I have. They seem to care a lot about physical apparearance.

Yes Azerbaijan always send beautiful singers looking like models

Samra, Aisel, Dilara... xheat

r3gg13
3rd September 2018, 00:52

To be fair, they still wouldn’t have qualified even if they had better attire :lol:

That was a mess galore. Everything you could think of, they messed up

For me the worst case of ruined by entry is ::be 2018. They had everything calculated so well. The song is perfectly balanced and calculated from a musical stand point. However, they ruined it with the staging and the camera angles, never mind the window blind dress she wore. They had all the opportunity to recreate that wonderfully subtle music video on stage, and they chose this.

anaraqueen
3rd September 2018, 01:02
To be fair, they still wouldn’t have qualified even if they had better attire :lol:

That was a mess galore. Everything you could think of, they messed up

For me the worst case of ruined by entry is ::be 2018. They had everything calculated so well. The song is perfectly balanced and calculated from a musical stand point. However, they ruined it with the staging and the camera angles, never mind the window blind dress she wore. They had all the opportunity to recreate that wonderfully subtle music video on stage, and they chose this.

they almost qualified with a non-understandable staging because of their clothes, so i'm almost sure they would qualify with suitable clothes

(or i just want to believe that because the song was in my top 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

mauve
3rd September 2018, 11:00
I know they choose "weird" oder "creepy" stagings/outfits to be remarkable, with the voting in mind.

But does it really matter? Would love to know from you guys if a dress ever stuck in your head for the better of a song/result?

All I know that an edgy outfit is a risky thing, mostly rather stuck in the head for the worse! Jamie Lee from Germany, Nina from Croatia (2016) (she was sooo weak vocally live too, so that's a prime example for what I mean that countries ruin their songs - Lighthouse [the song itself] had everything to be a huge success!), Sennek, Trijntje, Eye Cue... or said Latvia 2017 for example.

For me personally, there is actually one song that increased its value because of the dresses AND staging: this year Moldova. I couldn't stand DoReDoS' My Lucky Day as a song, but I just enjoyed watching the whole performance. But I think there were many people who liked that song itself as well, so I am only speaking for myself. :)

tuorem
3rd September 2018, 14:26

It's their fault tbh: why did they blindly trust Hans Pannecoucke for their staging? I mean he did a good job for "Calm After The Storm", "What's The Pressure" and "Do It For Your Lover", but he also was responsible for the visual mess that "Walk Along" was.

This year was a miss for him imo, because the staging of "Outlaw In 'em" wasn't great either. :?

It's not enough to hire someone who managed to stage some entries right in the past, we also have the example of Sacha Jean Baptiste whose work proved to be pretty uneven from one year/nation to another. They should test the waters before they arrive for the contest and see if the concept works.

Honestly, it didn't even seem like Sennek had an actual presentation. Apart from the beginning with her face, it was just her on the catwalk... :? It's the height of absurdity for a song that's supposed to be cinematic.