PDA

View Full Version : Obvious technical problems

Fluke
9th May 2018, 14:55
How can this happen again, year after year? There seems to be serious technical problems in the first semi, each time. They rehearse the whole show carefully and yet it happens again and again?

It was clearly visible and audible that several performers were uncomfortbale on stage. If you've seen it before, you know the signs and it's always in the first semi, for obvious reasons. Of the ones who didn't make it to the final, Belarus may have suffered especially for this reason. It's just hypothetical of course, but the technical screw-up may have robbed them of a place in the fifnal, and the world of a great ESC performance. Austria was also very visibly distressed by something, though they at least made the final, and most of the finalists did worse than expected, in stage presence and vocal performance.

How can this keep on happening? What can we do about this? :geek:

ag89
9th May 2018, 15:25
Maybe they were just nervous?! I haven't seen any visible or big technical issues.

CaraMia
9th May 2018, 16:02
I think in the case of Belarus it was clearly because Alekseev was nervous. I saw the jury rehearsal live and he was much better there (shaking less and the voice was better too). Yesterday when I was watching the performance of the live semi-final he was singing with a deeper voice and the articulation was worse. It was his nervousness and not some technical problem.

Trece
9th May 2018, 16:30
I have seen that special effects on Azerbaijan were in the wrong place

Also those effects werent needed at all in any performance imo, they look rather cheap and cheese

midnightsun
9th May 2018, 16:43
I noticed that too. Audio was not good, camera work not the best (e.g. filming fireworks right in front of Netta‘s face during Toy), special effects went wrong (Azerbaijan moon - the German commentator left a remark in that too), mics were too loud or the other way round...

DanielLuis
9th May 2018, 16:56
I have seen that special effects on Azerbaijan were in the wrong place

Also those effects werent needed at all in any performance imo, they look rather cheap and cheese

Only Lithuania used them well, the others were really unecessary. Especially the big Cesar at the end of Austria's performance, how could the Austrian delegation watch 1494 rehearsals in the viewing room and not cut that part?

henhu
9th May 2018, 19:11
Overhead camera didn't work until last 10 seconds during Estonian performance so many planned shots were replaced.

ChrisOL
9th May 2018, 19:16
Overhead camera didn't work until last 10 seconds during Estonian performance so many planned shots were replaced.

Oh really? :O So they had to replace all of that shots in every performance? Where did you find this?

henhu
9th May 2018, 19:21
Oh really? :O So they had to replace all of that shots in every performance? Where did you find this?

Our HOD said so. https://www.ohtuleht.ee/875826/mart-normet-meie-esituse-ajal-laks-uks-vaga-tahtis-kaamera-katki-ja-see-hakkas-toole-kolm-sekundit-enne-vajalikku-kohta
Apparently it happened only during our performance... producer said that Estonia would have got 2nd chance if it didn't work for spiral effect...

EvNickGR
9th May 2018, 23:08
I'll talk about Greece. Yianna's performance in Jury Night, got screwed. They lit the fireworks in the second verse of the song (not in the bridge) and Yianna lost it. She sang in a lower tone after this till the end. And EBU and Production said a big NO to perform again, I say it that, because I'm 99% sure that Juries killed her.

Fluke
11th May 2018, 18:59
Second semi wasn't much better. This is really below what's acceptable. I can see this becoming a big topic after the contest, if several performers or delegations claim the performance conditions did not fulfill their intent, and maybe result in stricter demands being placed on the hosts to make sure everything crucial to the performance works as intended. Seriously, it was so consistently bad in both semis, i'm not leaving out deliberate sabotage (by technicians or insiders, against certain entries) as a theory. It's been rumored before, but this year had so many out-of-tune or awkwardly performed entries, that otherwise very professional singers "becoming too nervous" doesn't hold up as an explanation.