PDA

View Full Version : What's your mum's favorite?

lavieenrose
26th February 2017, 00:01
Carrying this over from the past couple of years & starting early in case any of you want to weigh in on national selections as well as the main show. Mums, dads, siblings, partners, casual hookups, grandparents, children, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, cousins, unconverted-to-Eurovision friends, and dachshunds have opinions, too. What are they? :D

lavieenrose
26th February 2017, 00:07
I'll get us started. :) When I sent ::ua's entry over, my mom's response was as follows:
"Wow, calvin, this is brilliant. It is an anti Russian manifesto. Check out the Police, Ghost in the Machine."

I don't really know where she's getting either "anti-Russian manifesto" or "The Police" from anything there, but to each their own. Now I feel terrible because I threw shade at it as I sent it over, in which I described it as "a really touching tale about a band who really, really, really wanted to be Green Day but just couldn't pull it off."

She also really liked "Statements" in ::se.

MyHeartIsYours
26th February 2017, 00:20
My Mum has only heard the British entry, she thinks Lucie is a great singer, and the song is a good strong one (though she's not that big a fan of ballads). Interestingly neither me or Mum thought much of Lucie when she was on The X Factor - though she definitely shouldn't have been eliminated over Jedward :lol: But I think we're both in agreement that she had definitely blossomed since 2009 :D

Apart from the UK entry, a few of my friends have heard the Italian entry (mainly coz it features a gorilla :lol:) - the general sentiment is "this is so Eurovision" :lol:

Tinchey
26th February 2017, 00:25
My sister liked Occidentali's Karma, but I really can't make anyone to listen to anything. ;____;
I'll try with my dog.

Fierro
26th February 2017, 18:07
My grandma adores "Boogieman Blues" from ::se MF. Also she really likes Robin Bengtsson, Boris Rene, Dismissed, "Statements" (she said that Loreen copied Jamala), Jon Henrik, Nano. As for Mariette's song, she started crying during her performance. Hates Ace Wilder.

From ESC entries, I didn't show many of them. Only first ones. Grandma was impressed by ::ge ::al and liked ::by. I wonder if she will like Italian entry, gonna check it later.

Also grandma didn't really like any performance from ::ua NF (except Salto Nazad) but rather satisfied with O. Torvald winning. After watching Melodifestivalen she feels disappointed in quality of Ukrainian music and wants STB to replace Meladze with better producer.

Schlagerman1
26th February 2017, 18:24
I don't play any ESC or songs from other NFs until easter, when my family do our annual Eurovision-listening. ;)
But in MF, mom likes Ace Wilder a lot, while my little brother is a big Loreen-fan. :)

ESCada
26th February 2017, 21:05
My mother really really enjoyed ::fr and the ::uk and she said that the ALWAYS in the FINAL countries are better than the rest.

Really disliked ::by lol

ZoboCamel
8th March 2017, 05:20
I've shown my parents a bunch of things recently (and I've been spamming my Eurovision playlist in my room of our small-ish house), so here goes! They're both pretty picky, but they do have stuff they like.

Dad:
::ee Verona - "This one's not bad. I wouldn't mind seeing that at Eurovision."
::lt I'm Like A Wolf - "This is by that Aminata, right? She's pretty good. I like it."
::ro Yodel It - "What the... it's weird. But this is what Eurovision needs more of."
::uk Never Give Up On You - "It'd be an average song, but she's got an amazing voice, doesn't she? That makes it good."
::hr My Friend - "Hmm, this might be the best one from this year so far." <-- Hot taste, Dad xheat

Mum:
::al Mos Harro - "Yeah, this one's quite catchy. I might get it once the studio version's out."
::au Don't Come Easy - "It's pretty good! I'm happy with it, at least. He's got that 'X factor', as they say."
::ee Verona - "Hmm. Yeah?" <-- She does like it, but couldn't think of anything else in particular to say :lol:
::fi Love Yourself - "I can't help myself, I like this. I'll have to listen to this some more."
::fi Helppo Elämä - "This one's interesting. It'd be good for exercising to."
::fi Blackbird - "It's not something I'd usually like, but it's a great performance, and the lyrics tell a good story."
::it Occidentali's Karma - "I didn't like it at first, but it's growing on me the more I hear you listen to it."
::se Statements - "I'll have to get this one from you. It's good."
::se En Värld Full av Strider - "I've heard you listening to this one a lot. It's pretty decent."
::ch Apollo - "I actually quite like this. It's not anything new, but it's catchy."

midnightsun
8th March 2017, 11:22
My family or husband did not listen to any ESC songs yet other than Germany. But all of them think the German song is bland and boring.

But I can see my Mum loving Romania. But I was always wrong the last years concerning her favourites, so I wonder what will be the best song to her.

Eulaliya
8th March 2017, 11:30
As far as I know, my mom's faves are old ESC classics, like ::se 1974, ::it 1958 and ::dk 1996 (dat more popular English version by Michael Learns to Rock).

midnightsun
12th March 2017, 18:09
So, I made my hubby listen to half of the songs yesterday. He doesn't know anything about Eurovision and is usually not interested. He wanted to see the music vids to judge music AND performance.

His favourite: very clear, he said. Belgium! He loves the song so much, especially with her voice.

Closely followed by Italy ("this guy is SO funny!"), Moldova ("best performance") and Germany ("I didn't like it back then during the German finale but compared to the rest of crap it's quite good!")

He also thought that Cyprus & Austria are quite okay.

Malta, Australia and Poland are "songs that don't bother me when they are playing in the background. Poland could be a James Bond final credits background song!" he said.

He didn't like:
UK, Georgia, Switzerland, Romania ("Oh - my - God - what - is - this???"), Croatia, Serbia, Denmark, Netherlands (apart from the girl on the right in the music vid :D), Latvia, Estonia ("Oh my god, don't tell me Modern Talking are back! This song is written by Dieter Bohlen, isn't it??!"), Greece, Czech Republic, France, Hungary, Spain, Finland.

popavapeur
12th March 2017, 20:03
it's not really a mum's favorite cause she only heard 8 songs : Sweden, Italy, Belgium, Australia, F.Y.R Macedonia, Iceland, Azerbaijan and France. I choose to show her Sweden for the staging, Italy and Belgium for their odds, FYR Macedonia and Iceland cause I Liked them, Azerbaijan to have kind of an opinion of this song and France cause it's her first language. I didn't give her the countries before even if she could have guess only with the languages for Italy or France and I didn't give my thoughts on the songs before she gave hers.

Her favorites were ::be , ::mk , ::is and ::se (staging impressed her)
she didn't like at all ::it and she found ::fr 's song far better and entertaining but not as good as the countries above . ::au after the chorus she told me "I can't say for now, I'm waiting for the chorus" "- mum, that was the chorus" but she liked it anyway. For ::az she just said " I rank this after Italy"

She had a hard time making a ranking but it would look like this.
1 - Iceland ° 2 - Belgium ° 3 - F.Y.R. Macedonia ° 4 - Sweden ° 5 - Australia ° 6 - France ° 7 - Italy ° 8 - Azerbaijan

She couldn't believe how Italy was first in odds but she add "maybe we'll have to see the staging to judge but songwise there's nothing happening while Belgium, FYROM or Iceland had some mood and feeling attached to it before any staging".

(FYI Last year her big favorites were Russia and France)

midnightsun
15th March 2017, 15:52
Update. Husband listened to the rest of the songs (Hey, he asked first, probably hoping for another masterpiece like Belgium :D).

He liked Macedonia a lot. Montenegro and Israel were okay ("yeah, the music is slightly better than most of the songs you made me listen to last time!").
He was reluctant about Sweden. He finally said "If you used to like the Backstreet Boys, then it's a good song. If you don't (like me) it's not that good".

He was not too fond of all the other songs.

Conclusion: His top 3 are Belgium, Macedonia and Italy.

[edit] and Ukraine. I forgot to mention. He loves rock music but he said, it's a bit generic for a rock song, though one of the better songs this year.

Chorizo
15th March 2017, 18:20
My sister liked Occidentali's Karma, but I really can't make anyone to listen to anything. ;____;
I'll try with my dog.

I would really like to know how your dog responds.

I imagine it like this:
::mt fell asleep
::ro started to bark
::hr ran out of the room

ESCada
16th March 2017, 04:54
I would really like to know how your dog responds.

I imagine it like this:
::mt fell asleep
::ro started to bark
::hr ran out of the room

::es did NO.2, you know .......... For His Lava :lol:

mgru
16th March 2017, 06:50
My boyfriend refuses to listen to any new songs since I pranked him that Serhat will be competing at 2017 Eurovision too :lol:

He is die-hard fan of him and now his feelings are hurt :lol:

But before that he heard Yodel it! and thought it's dreadful (agreed).

I also showed him Hungarian song, he was interested but said its weird.

Italy was ok to him.

I'll try to show him more. Last year he claimed he hates Eurovision but now he still randomly sings Serhat (after last years final he was singing it CONSTANTLY for a month) and 'thunder and lightning its getting excitiiiiiingggg' :lol:

midnightsun
16th March 2017, 11:30
:lol:

My husband has been constantly singing "stop, don't say that it's impossible, cause I know it's possible" for YEARS now to make fun of it because he thinks those are the most ridiculous lyrics he has ever heard. :D But Thunder and lightning, it's getting exciting are close to, he said.

Alevender
16th March 2017, 18:10
My mum's number one last year was ::hr, this time I predict ::ee or ::mk :D

DaFlo
16th March 2017, 18:32
My mum won't listen to the songs till May, but I predict ::pt ::ee and maybe ::sm will be her favs. :mrgreen:

julien4ESC
17th March 2017, 00:56
It's not my mum but a colleague. She doesn't really care about Eurovision. I just played three songs for the moment:

France: "The song is bad and goes nowhere. Why do we always send dull song like this? Why does she sing in english during the chorus while it is typical french variety?"
Belgium: "I really like this song. It is a perfect song to relax. I will definitely listen to this song again."
Sweden: "Wow this guy is so hot. I want to visit Sweden. I will definitely vote for him in May." (no comment regarding the song actually...) :roll:

theditz83
17th March 2017, 01:55
Yep, so glad that everyone else in these comments seems to trash Yodel It as much as I do. I can't even bring myself to listen to it all as the intro just irritates me so much - just a horrible mess of a composition, can't believe so many people are liking it.

My mum loves San Marino and Estonia so far, but she always was a sucker for a duet ;)

lavieenrose
17th March 2017, 22:54
My mum won't listen to the songs till May, but I predict ::pt ::ee and maybe ::sm will be her favs. :mrgreen:

Sweetie, don't forget to take the garbage out. I've told you three times now.

Lupus
18th March 2017, 01:47
I played ::it to my family this evening. Despite the gorilla (long family history with a gorilla called Gerald; don't ask) and "NAMASTE" (my Mother is a teacher of alternative therapies), I think the most positive I can say the reaction was is "bemused" :p

r3gg13
18th March 2017, 03:41
My borfriend really likes ::hu and ::az. He finds ::it tacky

He thinks ::dk will is perfect for ESC stage.

lavieenrose
18th March 2017, 03:41
I played Occidentali's Karma for my parents a couple weeks ago, and TIL that they hated it :? They asked me who was most likely to win and were horrified when I said that people think it'll be Italy.

carl1
18th March 2017, 11:47
So my mom and my brother listened to some songs (brother's idea actually :D )
Mom was very surprised to find out ::it is the favourite "So why this is the favourite for the win and not ::ee, they both have the retro vibe"
She really liked ::ru "They always have beautiful songs". Disliked ::se, said she got bored of it by the 2nd minute.
Epic reaction to ::pt, after 20 seconds asked to change the song.

Brother's absolute favourite was ::fi "very beautiful lyrics"
Liked ::it, said it would be a good winner, also liked ::ru ::az::pt, didn't get the hype about ::be. Said ::ro is the worst song chosen.

midnightsun
20th March 2017, 14:06
My mum really likes Belgium, but didn't like Estonia at all. I'm surprised as she's always listening to songs like the Estonian, only in German language. German schlanger songs are quite like that nowadays. Apart from the two songs I haven't made her listen to any other song yet.

ScarlettGirl
20th March 2017, 16:07
My mom doesn´t like the eurovision :( :cry: xcry xcry

(Somebody adopt me xpray xsos )

My dad likes Romania though :mrgreen:

Fierro
21st March 2017, 10:15
Recently I've turned Eurovision Recap video to my grandma. Finally she has heard all songs, at least partly.

Her favorite: ::pt. She even asked me to show full video and download it on her mobile phone. She wants him to win.

Songs she really liked, noticed or reacted positively: ::se ::be ::ee ::hr ::gr ::ge ::hu ::ie ::by ::lv ::me ::ro ::es

Special comments:

::ru - she always likes Russian songs, no matter what they send. "She has beautiful voice and we shouldn't ban her or this will be shame".
::is - "I will definitely remember this girl, her look and bald head are very memorable" xfaint
::am - "cool video and she's copying Jamala a little"
::fi - "oh my god, is she singing about death?"
::at - "very nice song, i even want to cry, don't know why"
::au - "very good, he looks like Rybak"
::fr - "we should have sent Mirzoyan, so that there were 2 French songs on Eurovision this year".
::it - "i would vote for that monkey!"
::md - "saxophone is cool"
::sm - "this man is hot"

::ua (after watching video with subtitles) - "now that I understand what is this song's meaning I think we deserve good place this year. But they should get rid of those ruins in staging"

ZoboCamel
22nd March 2017, 14:16
Update on my previous post! (http://escunited.com/forum/threads/15931-What-s-your-mum-s-favorite?p=1695010&viewfull=1#post1695010) Mum asked me to make her a playlist of Eurovision songs from this year, and she's starting to get more into them.

Previously she'd said she liked ::au::ee::fi::it::ch - now, with some time to grow and some more songs out, that's expanded to include ::bg::be::am::no::md::se::uk::me::al::ro. Of those, she commented most on Montenegro ("That braid! I hope he still has that in May. He needs to be whipping that around everywhere."), Norway ("You said this one isn't very popular? That's a surprise, I think it's really catchy.") and Armenia ("This one's really really good. The atmosphere and the ethnic bits and all that, it just draws you in so well.")

I also came across her earlier watching the videos for Armenia and Italy on YouTube, so... that's a good sign!

carl1
22nd March 2017, 14:49
Update on my previous post! (http://escunited.com/forum/threads/15931-What-s-your-mum-s-favorite?p=1695010&viewfull=1#post1695010) Mum asked me to make her a playlist of Eurovision songs from this year, and she's starting to get more into them.

Previously she'd said she liked ::au::ee::fi::it::ch - now, with some time to grow and some more songs out, that's expanded to include ::bg::be::am::no::md::se::uk::me::al::ro. Of those, she commented most on Montenegro ("That braid! I hope he still has that in May. He needs to be whipping that around everywhere."), Norway ("You said this one isn't very popular? That's a surprise, I think it's really catchy.") and Armenia ("This one's really really good. The atmosphere and the ethnic bits and all that, it just draws you in so well.")

I also came across her earlier watching the videos for Armenia and Italy on YouTube, so... that's a good sign!

Your mum has great taste. :D

Uvaro
23rd March 2017, 03:51
my mum hasn't heard the songs yet, but some of my friends and i listen to all the songs before the contest every year. their favourites were ::fr ::hu ::by ::at ::lv ::pt and they couldn't understand why ::it was doing so well in the odds! :lol:

Jim
23rd March 2017, 04:03
Russia

scratchthat2009
23rd March 2017, 05:22
My mom's current top 3:

1. The Netherlands
2. United Kingdom
3. Armenia

Her comment on my favorite, Finland: She doesn't like it much but sees how it has a huge impact live.

AshleyWright
24th March 2017, 05:36
Meant to post this early got distracted.

Ok so I managed to force my mum to watch the recap, its about as good as it will get. Anything more is out of the question. :lol: For the most part she had a blank facial expression and a total lack of interest. :lol:

Loved
::ro She broke her blank facial expression sat up, smiled, gave out a little laugh and said it was great. Loved how they mixed the music.

enjoyed/sounded interesting
::mk
::mt
::hr :rolleyes:
::sl
::ee
::ru I explained what was happening, and she said its sad because she has a nice voice and a lovely song, but she agrees with the decision Ukraine made.

Despises
::pt Declared hate 0.5 seconds in
::hu same as above
::ua

The rest is just ok to mediocre, and nothing of interest. She said for the most part the songs are poor and all blend into one, nothing stood out for
her apart from Romania and that it was a really disappointing line up (not that she expects great things from esc)

notable remarks
::ie that voice, lord.
::by this is fun and positive, but i'm not a fan of the hey-ey-ey-ey even if it is catchy
::es this is catchy
::be I hate her voice, its dull and dreary, and so is the song.
::se blends with the rest, uninteresting. I remember that song from the other year. That was far better. (which song, which year idk)
::lv is she meant to be singing in English? I suggest she stops trying and goes back to school to learn it properly.

NNR
25th March 2017, 13:21
My mother thought that ::it was overrated and that she didn't really like it that much, she liked ::au , and she loved ::bg , she liked ::pt , she thought ::al ::am and ::es were poor, and she considered ::be to be overrated. Altogether, ::bg was her fave. She didn't see why ::sl was getting so much hate really.

Ellen
27th March 2017, 22:45
My mum's favourite is ::at, followed by ::hr ::cz ::fi ::md ::pt ::sl and ::ee, but just because she's from Verona :mrgreen:

DanielLuis
27th March 2017, 23:19
My roommates favourites, besides ::pt, are ::fi ::be ::uk ::fr ::bg ::by. They don't get the hype for ::it

My family only listen to the songs in the contest, so I don't know theirs yet

Schlagerman1
2nd April 2017, 13:49
This weekend, my family had our first listen to this years Eurovision songs. :D This is the 11th year we do this, and this time it was just me, my little brother and my mother who gave points to the songs. This year we were very divided about this year, where my brother thinks this is a really strong year, my mom got rather disappointed while I am sort of in the middle. :P
Anyhow, we listened to the songs in running order, gave points from 0-5, and here is how it ended (Me = Yellow, Mom = Pink, Brother = Green):

SEMIFINAL 1:

http://i68.tinypic.com/vhrl3p.png

SEMIFINAL 2:

http://i63.tinypic.com/2l87m36.png

BIG 5 + Host:

http://i66.tinypic.com/14bkb2t.png

Total top 43 result:

http://i64.tinypic.com/20gmc91.png

So our top 5:
::se ::mk ::be ::az ::cz :mrgreen: But we all say that everything might change when we do more listenings. :)

GRE
2nd April 2017, 17:18
A friend listened to the 43 songs and said...

..he didn't like anyone xfacepalmxshrug

Nicholas123
9th April 2017, 03:04
As is customary, my mum only listened to ::gr and ::es and she disliked both :mrgreen: I'll have to wait untill the contest to find out her faves. My younger bro became my victim for second year in a row xcheer xrofl3. So, here are his favorite songs

From the 1st semi, the song he liked the most is...
::am
His second favorite is... :rolleyes:
::se
Did he like anything else? :o
Yes, ::be ::lv ::az
What's his opinion on the greek song? :o
https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEduPQqbpT1LqVOz6/giphy.gif

From the 2nd semi :D

His most favorite song is...
After this, he liked...
::il::sm::chYes, that's right! https://imgfast.net/users/2512/12/05/58/smiles/2107382653.gif

Big 5

His favorite is...
Surpise!!!::it :lol:

GermanBango
9th April 2017, 04:28
Gonna post the results of my annual prediction panel soonish ... still have to convince my mom to listen to all the songs. :lol:

Mykola
9th April 2017, 07:27
Peace xhug

JSSArcos
9th April 2017, 15:20
My mother loves ::pt::pt::pt
and likes to::de::it::mt::pl::rs::be::hu::al::ch (Not by order)
do not like::ro::ro::ro

randajad
9th April 2017, 19:26
My cousins liked Iceland, France and Bulgaria. They thought Italy was good, but they did not like it. One of them said she likes Estonia. Both thought Romania was crap, but fun and that Croatia was the worst, while other ex Yu countries left them unimpressed. And they hated Portugal, like a lot. :cry: Also they said Belgium sounds familiar and it could win.
Edit: I showed them Swedish performance with enthusiasm, but they were like meh.:lol:
Edit2: One of them was very fond of Swiss song. Even said she will download it. xheat

midnightsun
15th April 2017, 12:23
I made my mum listen to Romania because I thought she'd like it. Well, I was right. She even thinks it's top 10 material.

GRE
16th April 2017, 11:04
Since 2009 and on, I persuade my nephew to listen the eurovision songs and tell me his opinion (he snobs eurovision songs).
Each year, he selects only 3-4 "just ok" songs.
The point is that each year one of these songs IS the winner of the contest !
Yesterday he listented the songs on this year.
As always, he didn't like more than 3-4.

ZoboCamel
16th April 2017, 15:33
Since 2009 and on, I persuade my nephew to listen the eurovision songs and tell me his opinion (he snobs eurovision songs).
Each year, he selects only 3-4 "just ok" songs.
The point is that each year one of these songs IS the winner of the contest !
Yesterday he listented the songs on this year.
As always, he didn't like more than 3-4.

But which 3-4? You're leaving us in suspense!

GRE
16th April 2017, 17:22
But which 3-4? You're leaving us in suspense!

This year he liked: (in alphabetical order)

::az

::dk

::fr

GermanBango
16th April 2017, 17:45

I could live with that :lol:

Neo
16th April 2017, 18:12

OT but can someone explain the thing with the spoiler buttons? There's surely nothing to be spoiled here? Am I missing something? Why click 5 times to see the post?

ParadiseES
17th April 2017, 15:53
My mum listened to the Portuguese entry on the radio before and she loves it. Then she asked me for the favourite, I put her Italy and she was pretty indifferent. She doesn't like Spain either.

Krishoes
17th April 2017, 16:12
OT but can someone explain the thing with the spoiler buttons? There's surely nothing to be spoiled here? Am I missing something? Why click 5 times to see the post?

Because one of these five will be for sure the winner, since his nephew selects each year 3-4 just ok songs and one of these is the winner of the contest. So he did not want to spoil the real outcome of the contest.

Neo
17th April 2017, 16:34
Not sure if you're serious or not.. http://i.imgur.com/hYZyzVO.png

GRE
17th April 2017, 17:02
Not sure if you're serious or not.. http://i.imgur.com/hYZyzVO.png

He is joking of course.
The real reason why I put spoiler, is because there is a game in the forum,
where the winner with the most clicks will earn a ticket to Kyiv and have a tea with Jamala.
So, I just helped you have more clicks. :)

Krishoes
17th April 2017, 18:24
Excuse me, I was not joking at all, I am serious as much as other people in this thread (and their mums, relatives and friends)

Ezio
17th April 2017, 19:21
My mom loves ::pt

My sister loves ::pt ::it

My nieces love ::it

My husband from ::es loves ::pt although he is generally jealous about Portugal. Maybe it is because lately I sing this song for him in Spanish all the time, which totally melts him.

Matt
17th April 2017, 19:35
My mum passed away when I was a child but the rest of m family is very keen of ::pt and ::nl
Works for me :D

Kairit
20th April 2017, 22:25
She has only heard about half the songs, but from the ones she has heard she likes ::it ::ro ::ee ::fr ::ie ::pl ... I thought she'd like ::sm, but she thought it was sh*t :lol: She hasn't heard ::mt and ::sl yet, though... Maybe she'd like them. Her favourite last year was ::pl and her favourite in 2014 was ::sm and her favourite in 2015 was ::it xhmm

Uvaro
21st April 2017, 19:28
just got my mum to listen to this year's songs while we cleaned the kitchen :lol:

her favourite was ::pt because she said it sounded different and unexpected, and she also liked ::it ::rs ::fi ::by. her least favourites were ::hr ::sm and she doesn't think there's a clear winner this year

julien4ESC
22nd April 2017, 00:53
It's not my mum but a colleague. She doesn't really care about Eurovision. I just played three songs for the moment:

France: "The song is bad and goes nowhere. Why do we always send dull song like this? Why does she sing in english during the chorus while it is typical french variety?"
Belgium: "I really like this song. It is a perfect song to relax. I will definitely listen to this song again."
Sweden: "Wow this guy is so hot. I want to visit Sweden. I will definitely vote for him in May." (no comment regarding the song actually...) :roll:

I have continued today playing some songs to my colleague during the lunch break. So here are her comments:

Italy: "Nothing really special, I don't understand why he is the favourite to win. The ape is funny though."
Macedonia: "I really like this song. I will download it"
Bulgaria: "I really like this one too! I will download it too!"
Portugal: "Please stop it, it is very bad, I hate this song"

Jasi
22nd April 2017, 21:33
My mom loves Italy!!! xlove It's her favourite!!!! ::it xcheer
(.... right after Slovenia ...) xhmmm xsos

Schlagerman1
26th April 2017, 21:41
My boyfriend has now listened through all the songs (even Russia) and it ended up with this list:

1. ::pt
2. ::fi
3. ::it
4. ::ru
5. ::lt
6. ::au
7. ::al
8. ::fr
9. ::gr
10. ::is

Bottom 3:
41st ::ro
42nd ::ua
43rd ::il

JonnyWest
27th April 2017, 00:04
My boyfriend has now listened through all the songs (even Russia) and it ended up with this list:

1. ::pt
2. ::fi
3. ::it
4. ::ru
5. ::lt
6. ::au
7. ::al
8. ::fr
9. ::gr
10. ::is

Bottom 3:
41st ::ro
42nd ::ua
43rd ::il

Your boyfriend shares the same last place as Gianluca :twisted:

Mimoliin
27th April 2017, 17:55
If my mother was alive I'm pretty sure she would've liked Portugal the most this year. She probably would've enjoyed France and possibly Poland as well. :)

NNR
1st May 2017, 11:25
So I've showed mother some of the songs from this year, here's what she said.

Sweden - Not a fan
Albania - Nothing special
Italy - I can't really see the hype. His voice doesn't suit the song.
Belarus - It's cute, but nothing special
Finland - I don't like these kind of songs
Germany - I am titanium!
Hungary - It's different, I guess.
Denmark - Great voice, boring song
Austria - Pretty generic
Cyprus - No.
Netherlands - No.
Poland - It's okay
Czech Republic - Aww, this is a cute one.
Greece - Nope.
Romania - *Within 4 seconds of hearing yodelling, she demanded I turn it off.*
Australia - Good. I actually like this one. He has a great voice..
Belgium - It's good!
Azerbaijan - Not really a fan
Slovenia - I like this. Even though he looks like he's having a seizure, I love the song.
Norway - It's catchy, but not great.
Serbia - This is good.
Macedonia - I'm divided on this one.
Portugal - Aww, he's so cute. I like this a lot.
Ireland - Too high for my liking. Bring back Dustin.
Spain - My ears are bleeding.
Ukraine - I like this, it's different.
Bulgaria - Oh my god! He's so cute! I like this one a hell lot.

In the end, she settled on a top 5 of:
1. Australia
2. Belgium
3. Slovenia
4. Bulgaria
5. Portugal
(Ukraine and Serbia just missed the cut)

ag89
2nd May 2017, 04:00
My sister heard most of the songs. She is not into ESC, but Australia is her absolute number 1. She totally dislikes Italy. :D Dislikes Belgium. Finland is a copy of Adele. France is copy of Indila. She complains that overall there are too many copies and nothing really authentic. She really likes Lithuania. :D And Bulgaria as well.

randajad
2nd May 2017, 14:45
My mum likes Romania. Like how? And why?

midnightsun
9th May 2017, 20:40
My mum just whatsapped me she likes Cyprus a lot! :O

Kairit
9th May 2017, 20:55
Both my mom and dad love Romania! :D It's their favourite haha. It's funny because they don't usually comment on songs much, especially my dad, but they liked it immediately.

midnightsun
9th May 2017, 21:03
But my mum's favourite is Belgium.
She just texted me she loves Italy also (obviously she's watching the pre-semi-final show on German television right now where they show all the music vids)...

Jay25
10th May 2017, 00:57
After the first semi, she liked Moldova, Finland and especially Czech Republic... :D
From the Big 5, Spain was her favorite..

JonnyWest
10th May 2017, 02:08
::pt ::md ::uk ::pl
She hated ::fi :?

midnightsun
10th May 2017, 02:32
Funny (or NOT :D) that all Mums like Moldova. My mum loves it too. Being a mum myself I love it, too. :D My 4yrs old son loves it as well and he sings the "hey Mamma" part all day long. He doesn't speak English, but you understand HEY MAMMA in every language. Maybe a big advantage for them! The official vid is really funny.... and epic sax guy being epic! Loved everything tonight concerning Moldova. Right now it's climbed to #2 in my list/ranking!

RainyWoods
10th May 2017, 03:06
Sweden - Missed (cake baking is apparently more important, and i'd agree)
Georgia - Missed
Australia - commented on his impressive eyebrows.
Albania - Was very impressed by the song and vocals. Surprised me actually as she's not usually one for that diva style.
Belgium - We were both sat there shading it. We couldn't believe how poor the performance was. My mother commented on how flat Blanche was throughout, and said it's the horrible "x-factor" style of singing. Thank god I don't watch talent shows anymore then if they all sing like this.
Montenegro - My mum thought this was hilarious. She thought he couldn't sing but the song was catchy and entertaining, and loved how Slavko looked.
Finland - My mother thought this was absolutely beautiful. She asked me to vote for this for her, which I did (was going to vote for it myself anyway). We were both sad when it missed.
Azerbaijan - Didn't like this.
Portugal - My poor mum had to experience me breaking into a full fit of tears about two lines into the song. I told her about this song months ago, and she'd already fallen in love with it and was looking forward to Salvador's performance. She said I remind her of Salvador (girl be on point with her compliments), and that it was the most beautiful song. I actually had a small breakdown during the performance and my mum was very sweet. I was dreading that i'd cry but it turned out to be a full on weeping session. I felt embarrassed as I don't cry in front of anyone, but it was a touching moment listening to it together. I don't know if I can handle the final.
Greece - Said Demy was really beautiful but the song was bad.
Poland - Didn't like the song, and didn't appreciate the flashing imagery.
Moldova - I think my mum strangely kind of liked this. She enjoyed the performance and dancing. Actually I was sort of won round a bit, even though the song is trash.
Iceland - I think my mum sort of liked this. She liked her outfit.
Czech Republic - Missed, which is a shame as I think she might have quite liked this one.
Cyprus - Missed but shaded it from the kitchen as it was playing (go mum!)
Armenia - Came in at the end of it and said nothing.
Slovenia - Liked this one.
Latvia - Didn't like the song I don't think, but we commented on how great the staging looked.

Tinchey
10th May 2017, 03:14
Dad liked Belgium (said it's a winner), Poland and Armenia. My sister loved Belgium. #blanche2win

Tinchey
10th May 2017, 03:16
Australia - commented on his impressive eyebrows.

I K R
Also, love your mum's taste. She seems like a lovely lady to spill the t with. <3

Nemesis
10th May 2017, 13:08
So, my parents watched all the performances except PT for the first time, and besides Portugal their favourites were:

Mum
::md::fi ::pl

Dad
::az::lv::cz

SirPeterGriffin
10th May 2017, 14:16
Portugal - My poor mum had to experience me breaking into a full fit of tears about two lines into the song. I told her about this song months ago, and she'd already fallen in love with it and was looking forward to Salvador's performance. She said I remind her of Salvador (girl be on point with her compliments), and that it was the most beautiful song. I actually had a small breakdown during the performance and my mum was very sweet. I was dreading that i'd cry but it turned out to be a full on weeping session. I felt embarrassed as I don't cry in front of anyone, but it was a touching moment listening to it together. I don't know if I can handle the final.

Why does everytime i read your comments about our song it gaves me chills? How moving.xcry1xcry1

94ayd
10th May 2017, 17:42
Yesterday we enjoyed the same entries: ::az, ::pt, ::md, ::am, ::is & maybe ::lv.

tuorem
10th May 2017, 20:10
I watched the first semi-final with my aunt yesterday and here is what came out of it:

-Her top favourites were ::al ::pl and ::am
-She moderately liked ::az ::cz and ::lv
-She was undecided about ::au at first, and then she eventually ruled them out.
-She clearly disliked ::pt saying it reminded her of 1930's old-fashioned movies, she expected more given the hype.
-She despised ::be because it was flat and it reminded her of Armenia 2015 (that she hated) for some reason :lol:
-She liked none of the ::it ::es ::uk extracts :mrgreen:

Kicker
10th May 2017, 20:24
She liked ::se ::me ::md and ::cy, while totally disliking ::fi ::be ::pt

It's quite funny, my mum and me basically have the same taste (with a few exceptions though ;) )

EscGeek
10th May 2017, 20:30
she liked ::al ::az ::md ::cy ::sl and ::lv

and she hated ::pt and ::au
:D

JSSArcos
10th May 2017, 20:37
In my house we saw the Festival.5 people !!

(Qualified are not in order )

My qualifiers ::pt::pl::cy::am::au::az::be::fi::gr::se Via these two qualified countries (my 11 and 12) ::al or ::ge !!

Mother ::pt::be::am::fi::al::cy::gr::az::pl::ge

Aunt ::am::az::cy::fi::pt::pl::be::al::se::is

Friend ::pl::pt::fi::am::au::se::lv::gr::be::me

Friend ::se::pt::am::az::cy::gr::lv::md::au::ge

revallsay
10th May 2017, 20:41
My Mum loved ::ge ::be and ::cy.

SwissKung
10th May 2017, 22:42
My mom could only see the end of the show so that means recap + Italiy/Spain/UK

She liked ::pt & ::it and absolutely LOVED the ::uk

Stiven
11th May 2017, 10:12
Not my mum, but my classmates hated everything about ::lv and ::me.
Luckily I didn't mentioned that ::lv was guilty pleasure of mine, while I agreed on ::me.

realist
11th May 2017, 16:32
I was looking at my mom's reactions:
Sweden: she liked it, she said it's catchy and fun.
Georgia: she look at TV for few seconds and she was back on her phone (no impact)
Australia: same as ^ no impact
Albaina: she was still on her phone, only listening, no impact
I've asked her: did you like anything so far? she said the first one was ok. Anything else? -No.
Belgium: She commented; her voice is weak with no power what so ever.
Montenegro: For the first time she was looking at the TV for the whole time. -commented at the end; why are there always freaks at eurovsion, like WTF is he doing? Freaks always do well at ESC..
Finland: She was back on her phone for most of the song (neutral)
Azerbaijan: Chalk? what the hell..
Portugal: She was laughing at his moves.. saying what is he doing? She watched the whole performance (success?)
Greece: She was taking the piss out the two dancers in the water
Poland: Isn't as bad comparing to all of them.
Moldova: She didn't say anthing. Looked like she liked it.
Than she was busy chatting to her friend on the phone for the rest of the songs..
After the recaps, she didn't like the rest of the songs.
She said it is a very weak year overall.. and she was expecting Slavko to go through.
Cannot wait to watch GF with her on Saturday..

Love you Mom xrose xlove

JamieBrown
12th May 2017, 10:27
I finally got friends into watching the semifinals, and here are their results from yesterday.

We all liked Bulgaria, Romania (somehow :D ) and Hungary. Belarus and Austria were also a lot appreciated. From semifinal 1 the friend who watched with me liked Belgium and Portugal, but also Finland. And we had a lot of fun, not only with Romania, but also with Montenegro, Moldova, Croatia, San Marino and the horse.

popavapeur
12th May 2017, 13:33
So I just talked to my mom (she's 57) and she was "Oh I watched both semi finals, it made me think of you as you like it". You'll see she has a weird taste and was super bitchy.

Be prepared :lol: :

SF1 :
She LOVED Sweden (I loved the 3 guys on treadmill... like it was a band ?) and Australia, said Belgium has a good song but the girl has no expression, that was very cold. She HATED Azerbaijan : "the creepy girl with the chalkboard, wtf ?" , she didn't like Portugal "was he acting or singing, that was ridiculous". She didn't remember Finland when I talked about it. Then about Italy : "I heard on the radio he was the favourite and I don't understand why, that was one of the worst Tuesday, 30 seconds of it was enough, it's gonna be my toilet break". So obviously she won't like this year's winner as it won't be Sweden nor Australia.

SF2 :
She is very upset about Switzerland and Estonia not qualifying. She didn't remember Bulgaria at all. And that was it for SF2 like "I don't remember what I watched yesterday, that was bad or I was tired to be focused on the show"

I'll give you my BF pov as I was with him yesterday and we watched SF1 and SF2 in a row.

SF1 with comments when he did
Liked : Sweden, Georgia (loved the James Bond vibe), Albania (good singer), Montenegro (he loved it : a campy gay act should be prequalified for the final instead of the big 5 haha), Greece (finally an upbeat song), Poland, Cyprus (quite basic but efficient)
Disliked : Australia (but it's Australia, I'm sure they're in the final), Belgium, Finland (He found that was the most boring one), Azerbaijan, Portugal (Are you kidding me ? that's a favourite?), Moldova, Iceland, Czech Republic, Armenia, Slovenia ("why did they even tried?"), Latvia

SF2 :
Liked : Serbia, FYR Macedonia, Denmark, San Marino, Estonia (LOVED IT), Israel (with Estonia that was the best for him)
Meh - not good not bad- : Austria, Romania, Ireland, Croatia, Switzerland, Belarus (but cute)
Disliked : Malta, The Netherlands, Hungary (It was the worst of both semi finals for him, that song he disliked the most), Norway (is this a joke ? how can people vote for that, he took Estonia's place in the final), Lithuania

balizeg
12th May 2017, 21:16
My mother's faves were ::cy & ::nl, and she said that semi2 was much better than semi1 :D

tuorem
12th May 2017, 23:51
My aunt watched the second semi-final with me: :)

-Her absolute favourite was ::bg. She told me she wants Kristian to win the whole thing. :D
-Her other favourites were ::hu ::hr and ::ee
-She also happened to really enjoy ::ro and ::il even though it's far from the music she usually likes. :o
-She despised ::ie (not impressed), ::at (an idiocy) and ::nl (she preferred to mimic yodel rather than listen to O'G3NE's entire performance :lol:)
-Her favourite Big 5 extract of the night was ::fr, she thinks Alma has a chance of winning.

randajad
13th May 2017, 00:07
"The yodelers are in the final" she said happily. :lol:

Sabrewulf238
14th May 2017, 00:20
My mums favourites are the UK and Romania. (and she voted for them too)

She didn't like Belgium, she said it was monotonous.

Most of the others just got a general "it's alright/nice" sort of response.

Also I don't know if this counts but she liked the sleeves the Bulgaria kid was wearing. :lol:

Edit: I forgot my mum said she liked Moldova too.

Nicholas123
14th May 2017, 00:22
Mom : ::pt::be::se::bg
Brother : ::pt::az::am::se
Friends around here : ::se::pt::be

::it was not received well after the live performance xthink

DaFlo
14th May 2017, 20:20
Bless my mum's taste, her favs were ::ro ::hr ::hu xheat

She absolutely hated ::pt :o :lol:

midnightsun
14th May 2017, 23:28
In the Grand Final:

Mum
1.Belgium
2.Bulgaria
3.Moldova
4.Portugal
5.Hungary

Brother:
1. Belgium
2. Croatia
3. Greece
4. UK
5. Azerbaijan

Sister:
1. Portugal
2. Armenia
3. Belgium
4. Netherlands
5. Moldova

Father:
liked Romania and Belgium

So overall, in my family Belgium was liked the most!

JSSArcos
14th May 2017, 23:36
My family that I liked the most was Belgium,Croatia, Belarus, Hungary, Italy, Bulgaria,Netherlands

JamieBrown
15th May 2017, 11:28
Some impressions my family and friends got during the night.

My mother wrote me some messages during the show. She liked Portugal the most afaik.
My father also wrote me his Top 4. He also liked Portugal, as well as Belgium, France and Romania
My sister liked France and Belgium the most and thought that Italy would've been the best winner (With all my love for the portuguese song, just bless her :D)
And with my friends I watched the show, the faves were Moldova, Hungary, Romania, Australia (for the looks), the UK (for the stellar LED) and France (at least a bit).
And an old friend spammed me with The Netherlands. The. Whole. Week.

Simon87
16th May 2017, 20:37
My mom faves were Israel and Belgium
She also liked Armenia, France, Hungary, Romania
She didnt like Portugal, Belarus, Italy, Poland (my fave :lol: ), Croatia, The Netherlands...

Simon87
16th May 2017, 20:39
Bless my mum's taste, her favs were ::ro ::hr ::hu xheat

She absolutely hated ::pt :o :lol:

Our mums would be good friends :lol:

Franzilein
17th May 2017, 19:42
My mother loved Italy, Moldova and... Spain, haha. She just likes about anything which has a guitar and summer vibes involved; -P

She was sorta disgusted by Portugal however. "What is that? Is this supposed to be a joke? That's no singing, that's just crying! What's with his weird gestures?"
Haha, never change, Mama :-)

burrito
17th May 2017, 20:34
My mom loved ::no and was angry that they did not receive more points :D
On the other hand she hated ::pt with passion and was so outraged by their win that I had to left the room to watch Salvador and Luisa's performance in peace :lol: