PDA

View Full Version : Voting System for 2017?

Romeo
15th May 2016, 17:12
What voting system should be used for the 2017 contest?

1. 2016 (2 sets of votes given - Jury as normal then combine televotes)
2. Normal 50/50 (combine the jury and televotes together and present them as one score)
3. 100% televote
4. 100% jury vote
5. Finalists vote as normal (presenting 1-8, 10, 12) then combine the semi-finalists' votes together
6. None work.. something totally different

Romeo
15th May 2016, 17:17
Personally i think we should revert back to the system from last year. I didnt like the voting system last night it was annoying more than anything

Mii11
15th May 2016, 17:28
Even though I was initially opposed to it, I think 2016 system is the best one we have had so far. Im hoping they will stick with it next year

EscGeek
15th May 2016, 17:36
same as this year,just bring back ::8 and ::10 points announcments

WhoKnows
15th May 2016, 17:45

This.

Another thing I would change is have each jury give his top 10 instead of ranking all 26. That way divisive songs wouldn't be punished and you couldn't artificially take a song out of the ranking.

Quent91
15th May 2016, 17:51

This, please. Also, the spokesperson could in the same time announce the televoting results, separetly just after the juries results.

AuroraBorealis
15th May 2016, 18:40
I enjoyed the new system of voting, I just think it would work better to announce the 8&10 as well as increasing the size of the juries.

GlamSIMorous
15th May 2016, 23:18
To me the thing that HAS to change is what goes on backstage, how the juries rate, their location, the way they fill their formular. I dont know. The procedure of the presentation of the points was AMAZING this year, however looking at the scoreboard carefully I have the feeling not everything went fair there. :mad:

Dutchball
15th May 2016, 23:33
Yeah the jury part of voting could do with some restructuring. As we saw from the Russian jury video juries are supporting entries because of the country instead of the song. A jury member who does this is responsible for 20% of the jury score, which I consider too much. Firstly the jury should be expanded to 10 people, so voters like the one I just mentioned have less influence on the final score, which is now more fair/genuine.
I also think jury voting should become more formal. Juries shouldn't know who is on the jury with them so they can't make deals like "let's put (country) in X-th place" On voting nights I think jury members should either be separated or watched over by an EBU official.

As for televoting, it's great to see what the people think, but diasporas are a problem. Poland got third in televoting and I don't think that's just because everyone considered the song great. If we keep the 2016 system this problem will get bigger as countries like these will be awarded many televoting points. They only need half a good song to impress juries and crack the top 3.

Let me know what you think.

CaspianMortis
15th May 2016, 23:50
Revert to the system of last year. This new system allows diaspora voting to ruin the contest!

This is what caused Australia to be robbed this year!

DanielLuis
15th May 2016, 23:53
I support the current system. It's the one that is truly 50% televote 50% jury vote.

Hayato
16th May 2016, 00:18
The 2016 system except something like 35%-75% in favour of the people would be a better reflection of Europe's favourite in my opinion.

Sammy
16th May 2016, 21:42
This, please. Also, the spokesperson could in the same time announce the televoting results, separetly just after the juries results.

At the time of the jury results announcement, the televote is still being counted. Thats why the interval between the closing of the lines and the announcement was so short. That's were they actually save time.

Dutchball
16th May 2016, 23:14
http://wiwibloggs.com/2016/05/16/armenia-jury-vote-grand-final-called-question/142113/

This just stresses the need for jury restructuring. If something like this (juries share the same top/bottom few) we either have a strange coincidence or some deals have been made between jury members or delegations, me thinks. If the jury part of voting would be stricter, when nobody knows any of the other jury members until after the show, I think this wouldn't happen :?

Franco
17th May 2016, 00:24
I'm in favour of the new system of keeping the jury vote and the televote separated, but I would like back the ::8 ::10 ::12 announcement of the jury vote from the spokespersons and they should show, however briefly, where the televotes come from.
If it takes more time, then just remove one of the interval acts. Those, I could do without.

ParadiseES
17th May 2016, 00:48
Voted "none work...something totally different". The voting system will not be perfect until EBU accepts me to decide the whole ranking. That's the only system I wouldn't be disappointed with the results.

MyHeartIsYours
17th May 2016, 02:00
I've voted "none". I like 2016 style, just swap the televote and jury vote around, and replace national juries with one international jury. Let the people be the voice of the nations, let the jury be the voice of Europe.

Sammy
17th May 2016, 08:47
I've voted "none". I like 2016 style, just swap the televote and jury vote around, and replace national juries with one international jury. Let the people be the voice of the nations, let the jury be the voice of Europe.

Any ideas how to select the members of the international jury? I like the idea, but it seems difficult. If you choose members from participating countries, they'll be biased. If you choose members from non participating countries, you'd probably have to look for them in non-european countries. So they won't be "the voice of Europe", as you say.

EliGrant6
17th May 2016, 09:26
Any ideas how to select the members of the international jury? I like the idea, but it seems difficult. If you choose members from participating countries, they'll be biased. If you choose members from non participating countries, you'd probably have to look for them in non-european countries. So they won't be "the voice of Europe", as you say.

I like the idea of an international jury, but not having them replace the national juries. I think each associate member of the EBU should be allowed to send a jury member to make up the jury, so that all of the EBU, associate members included, can be represented.

I also came up with an alternate method for the juries to give their points. Since there's been so much discussion of the televote having more say , I came up with the "70/30" method. The televote will remain the same, warding the top 10 songs 12 to 1 points. The juries on the other hand only award points to their top 5 songs, giving 10 points to #1, 7 points to #2, 5 points to #3, 3 points to #4 and 1 point to #5. With this method, Ukraine would have still come first with 469 points, Russia would have come second with 424 points, and Australia third with 386. (The whole score using this method should be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dfTNTzihE2X4g5BFebx5dqWiNEpZTWYymGt8j446nQo/edit#gid=0)

I also think that the way the points were presented as great, but instead, the televote points should be presented with the national spokespersons and the jury points presented by the hosts. Let me know what you think :)

LesterMalvo
17th May 2016, 10:51
I always wanted juries to be gone. But this year's voting progress was amazing. I want jury votes to stay, just to make it more exciting. But I want spokespeople to present televote, not 5 people's politically effected music taste.

MyHeartIsYours
17th May 2016, 14:25
Each broadcaster could select one, or they could be past Eurovision participants. If you're worried about bias then each jury member could stick to the cant vote for your own country rule.

Sammy
17th May 2016, 16:23
Each broadcaster could select one, or they could be past Eurovision participants. If you're worried about bias then each jury member could stick to the cant vote for your own country rule.

But that's basically done now, isn't it? Each broadcaster selects four jury members and they can't vote for their own country....

LesterMalvo
17th May 2016, 17:48
https://www.facebook.com/EurovisionSongContest/posts/10154196749863007

EBU in action.

AshleyWright
17th May 2016, 21:09
Didn't even know there was a petition going on. :? Typical over dramatic eurofan response to not getting what they wanted. xfacepalm

LesterMalvo
17th May 2016, 21:13
Didn't even know there was a petition going on. :?

Me neither. Although it is pretty obvious on Youtube videos dislikes rates which is pretty immature reaction.

Romeo
18th May 2016, 00:54
what was the peition about? getting the winner to be change? thats never going to happen..

I did reply to the post by saying I hope the system is changed. whether they keep the MF system or change it I think the juries need to be addressed.. Azerbaijan AGAIN had all of their jurors put Armenia in last place.. the 1-26 should be changed in favour of the 1-10 system again because a juror can ruin a country by putting it 26th

Alaska49
18th May 2016, 01:10
this year's system is the closest to best; i'd only make slight changes on the jury procedures (have 10 of them at least, make them choose only their top 10s and combine all ten top 10s into one, have them sequestered from each other, have them vote during the proper shows instead of the final rehearsal). there is no way to filter the televote, so they need to be super meticulous with the juries to ensure no further biases are added to the process; if they give the juries too much leeway on their behaviour i'd rather just have 100% televoting.

A-lister
18th May 2016, 01:16
2016:

Although I'm no super fan of juries I still see their point, I would maybe change to 60/40 in favor of the public though...

The ranking system is tricky, now that the public vote is having its fair share its negative impact is not as big as previous years, but then again the juries still manipulate results by putting some countries last on purpose (and not by objective judging), on the other hand ranking all means that they need to put more attention to each entry and I feel like an issue was that juries didn't pay as much attention to the songs but more to vocal gymnastics etc because they never got the time to build a proper "relationship" with each song. I think the jury process should be longer then, every member would have to listen to all songs carefully and not just judge on the jury finals because if only the latter the songs become secondary, when they should be the most important. Also more members in a jury group would make up a fairer result.

The spokespersons should give out the 8's and 10's like previous years, only giving out 12's felt too rushed and suspense-killing and quite frankly doesn't save much time but instead takes away alot of the feeling from the voting process and makes it slightly confusing and more difficult to follow for the average viewer.

Pay equal attention to all sets of votes from the public. Again it wouldn't take that much longer, but atleast make the public vote look equally important. It felt a little too rushed aswell.

2013-2015 were dreadful, the juries could easily manipulate the outcome, thankfully 2016 erased that aspect and made it more balanced, now atleast public's favorites will get some points even if the juries disagree and can't be totally erased by juries. Also the new system is as close to 50/50 you could get, which is only fair.

A-lister
18th May 2016, 01:33
https://www.facebook.com/EurovisionSongContest/posts/10154196749863007

EBU in action.

For once I agree with them xclap

This petition is just silly and based on nothing other than bitter fans who didn't get their favorite as winner mixed with Kremlin trolls who are just... well... angry that Ukraine won (in particular in this context).

The rules and system were clear to all, and everyone signed up for it, so I'm happy EBU doesn't take notice about this sillyness.

A-lister
18th May 2016, 01:38
Revert to the system of last year. This new system allows diaspora voting to ruin the contest!

This is what caused Australia to be robbed this year!

No, Australia wasn't robbed, although diaspora voting is a problem you can't get really high points and positions only based on that. Australia was a distanced 4th to the top.2 atleast, they were not "robbed", in fact one can question why juries had them so high?

The 2016 is as fair as it could get, the juries shouldn't have more say than people, but I can agree that they are needed somehow, so simply let it be 50/50 as now (2016).

ScarlettGirl
18th May 2016, 17:37
I have a new suggestion for the new voting system. Instead of combining ALL the televotes, why not just hand out two pairs of 12s? One from the jury and one from the public.

Or is that a really stupid idea and I canīt think clear because I am so sick and have a massive hangover.... xsleep xstars xstars
(I still prefer the old system though...)