PDA

View Full Version : Iceland ICELAND 2016 - Greta Salome - Hear Them Calling

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

escYOUnited
2nd May 2015, 20:55
http://s27.postimg.org/t4lvtc6hv/ICELAND.png

http://4lyrics.eu/wp-content/uploads//2016/01/greta-salome-stefansdottir_lead.jpg

::is Greta Salome - Hear Them Calling ::is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwz2xNK1h7A

Greta Salóme Stefánsdóttir (born 11 November 1986), known outside Iceland simply as Greta Salóme, is an Icelandic singer and a violinist in the Icelandic Symphony Orchestra. She represented Iceland in the Eurovision Song Contest 2012 in Baku, Azerbaijan, in a duet with singer Jónsi with the song "Never Forget". They qualified from the first semi-final into the Eurovision final and eventually finished in 20th place with 46 points. She will represent Iceland again, this time as a soloist, in the Eurovision Song Contest 2016 with the song "Hear Them Calling".

Greta released her first album, titled In the Silence, on 16 November 2012. The album contains her Eurovision song "Never Forget", in both the English and the Icelandic version ("Mundu Eftir Mér"). In August 2012 she released Everything Around Me. It was announced that Greta was among the list of participants in Iceland's selection for Eurovision 2016 with the song "Raddirnar". She qualified from the first semi-final to participate in the final of the selection process. Her song was changed to English for the final, under the title "Hear Them Calling"; she won the national final.

Source: Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Sal%C3%B3me_Stef%C3%A1nsd%C3%B3ttir)

tsegaye
4th May 2015, 21:33
I'm still waiting for Iceland's first victory :/

Schlagerman1
7th May 2015, 18:11
2nd in 1999 and 2009....I think we have to wait til 2019 for that sweet victory I suppose. :mrgreen:

popavapeur
29th May 2015, 00:02
Question time : Are the former acts in the NF compete a second time in a row in Iceland ? or there are new people each year?
I thought that Sunday was incredible this year and when I see the results of Belgium and Latvia, i think they could put a great result to Iceland with just the right song in their style. Feathers was already cool but they missed a little gimmick on it to achieve the masterpiece.

I don't know why but i have some tenderness toward Iceland, that's THE country i want to see the trophy in hands.

Krishoes
29th May 2015, 00:57
I thought that Sunday was incredible this year and when I see the results of Belgium and Latvia, i think they could put a great result to Iceland with just the right song in their style.

SUNDAY! I want THEM.

I have some tenderness toward Iceland, that's THE country i want to see the trophy in hands.

Don't know why too, but here the same. I want to see ::is at the 1st place, maybe 'cause I wanna discover the capital city :D

SilviaNight
1st June 2015, 15:59
I am the one and only.

DoctorX
1st June 2015, 16:35
FM Belfast please! :rolleyes:

Quent91
1st June 2015, 18:59
I am the one and only.

you horrible bitch

Halldor
4th June 2015, 03:09
Question time : Are the former acts in the NF compete a second time in a row in Iceland ? or there are new people each year?
I thought that Sunday was incredible this year and when I see the results of Belgium and Latvia, i think they could put a great result to Iceland with just the right song in their style. Feathers was already cool but they missed a little gimmick on it to achieve the masterpiece.

I don't know why but i have some tenderness toward Iceland, that's THE country i want to see the trophy in hands.

You can compete each year, so if SUNDAY submits a song and gets chosen to be in Söngvakeppnin, they could get a better and more righteous placement.

Halldor
4th June 2015, 04:21
People in Iceland believe that Paul Oscar will be returning in 2016 for Söngvakeppnin because of him not booking himself for anything at the time for Söngvakeppnin, so people think he'll be there, and I know about many people in Iceland who believe he'll be the first Icelandic winner...

lavieenrose
4th June 2015, 10:54
People in Iceland believe that Paul Oscar will be returning in 2016 for Söngvakeppnin because of him not booking himself for anything at the time for Söngvakeppnin, so people think he'll be there, and I know about many people in Iceland who believe he'll be the first Icelandic winner...

xheat xheat xheat

whiteshoes
6th June 2015, 10:44
Just like last year I'm hoping for Ásgeir xheya or / and Kaleo to participate in Söngvakeppnin

It won't happen anyway but hope dies last :)

PamSwynford
6th October 2015, 13:42
http://www03.ruv.is/songvakeppnin/
The submission time has started.

popavapeur
8th December 2015, 14:15
i was playing my songs in shuffle when Feathers came (yeah i know i talked about it last page)

SO, i'm going to try to contact Sunday because i want them to represent iceland and i think they could be the winners with the right song. (that's serious)

#TeamSunday

Francis
9th December 2015, 15:09
I agree, Sunday have massive potential for Eurovision with their dark and atmospheric sound, if only the Icelandic people had the guts to send them. I think the problem is they lack mass appeal as their sound is too alternative. Perhaps if they came back this year, people will remember them and it could work more in their favour.
Fjađrir was my absolute favourite Eurovision song last year, from all national finals combined so I was devastated that they weren't chosen. To see them overlooked in favour of safe, bland entries like Fredrik and Maria was extra salt to the wound. Little surprise Iceland failed to qualify. I'm praying they'll come back next year with an equally good song, perhaps one that is slightly more mainstream so that more voters realise their potential.
Does anyone know if they have released any other music? I know Hildur has her own band so I'm not sure if they just got together for the one song. I certainly hope not!

Sammy
10th December 2015, 19:47
i don't know sunday. but "dark", "atmospheric" and "alternative" are not the adjectives i would link to successful entries of the past years.
any video that you could recommend to get a comprhensive impression of the group?

Francis
11th December 2015, 08:11
i don't know sunday. but "dark", "atmospheric" and "alternative" are not the adjectives i would link to successful entries of the past years.
any video that you could recommend to get a comprhensive impression of the group?

Perhaps not traditionally successful, but in recent years there seems to be trend with "different" sounding songs doing considerably well. Sometimes some interesting and quite surprising songs find their way into the top 10 and bring a welcome relief from the safe, inoffensive, more mainstream europop entries. In terms of "dark" and "atmospheric", I think Rändajad in 2009 (6th place), Suus in 2012 (5th place), I Feed You My Love in 2013 (4th place) and Love Injected this year (6th place) all fall within that category. As far as I know Sunday only have the one song.

sp0sim1RVfI

Sammy
11th December 2015, 17:28
Perhaps not traditionally successful, but in recent years there seems to be trend with "different" sounding songs doing considerably well. Sometimes some interesting and quite surprising songs find their way into the top 10 and bring a welcome relief from the safe, inoffensive, more mainstream europop entries. In terms of "dark" and "atmospheric", I think Rändajad in 2009 (6th place), Suus in 2012 (5th place), I Feed You My Love in 2013 (4th place) and Love Injected this year (6th place) all fall within that category. As far as I know Sunday only have the one song.

sp0sim1RVfI

Thanks for the vid!
Neither love injected nor i feed you my love are dark songs in my view. Suus is quite sad, but i wouldn't call it dark neither. As for rändajad this might be the vlosest to call dark. But perhaps i had something different in mind when i read the post earliet.

For me dark is something in the direction of gothic or even some metal ballads....

But having seen the vid, i completely understand your argument. This is in fact quite comparable to margret berger or aminata, and it's proving, that i understood the notion of dark differently, as i wouldn't call this dark either.

Thanks for enlighten me on that pount

ChernyVolk
11th December 2015, 21:22
IcelandMonitor:

the songs and composers will be announced on the Vikan međ Gísla Marteini programme. The announcement will take place at 19:40 Iceland time (so 20:40 CET).

From Eurovision.tv
http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=177093

FoxOfShadows
11th December 2015, 23:07
Sigga Eyrún – ‘Kreisí’ (Crazy) (Karl Olgeirsson, Sigríđur Eyrún Friđriksdóttir)

Helgi Valur Ásgeirsson – ‘Óvćr’ (Uneasy) (Karl Olgeirsson)

Erna Mist & Magnús Thorlacius – ‘Ótöluđorđ’ (Unspoken words) (Erna Mist, Magnús Thorlacius)

Erna Hrönn Ólafsdóttir & Hjörtur Traustason – ‘Hugurminner’ (My mind is) (Ţórunn Erna Clausen)

Ţórdís Birna Borgarsdóttir & Guđmundur Snorri Sigurđarson – ‘Spring yfirheiminn’ (All over the world) (Júlí Heiđar Halldórsson, Guđmundur Snorri Sigurđarson)

Alda Dís Arnardóttir – ‘Augnablik’ (One Moment) (Alma Guđmundsdóttir, James Wong, Alda Dís Arnardóttir)

Karlotta Sigurđardóttir – ‘Óstöđvandi’ (Unstoppable) (Kristinn Sigurpáll Sturluson, Ylfa Persson, Linda Persson, Alma Rut Kristjánsdóttir)

Ingólfur Ţórarinsson – ‘Fátćkurnámsmađur’ (A broke student) (Ingólfur Ţórarinsson)

Elísabet Ormslev – ‘Á ný’ (Again) (Greta Salome Stefánsdóttir)

Greta Salome Stefánsdóttir – ‘Raddirnar’ (The Voices) (Greta Salome Stefánsdóttir)

Sigríđur Eir Zophoniasardóttir & Jóhanna Vala Höskuldsdóttir – ‘Égséţig’ (I see you) (Sigríđur Eir Zophoniasardóttir, Jóhanna Vala Höskuldsdóttir)

Pálmi Gunnarsson – ‘Égleiđiţigheim’ (I lead you home) (Ţórir Úlfarsson)

Greta's back! xyes

AlekS
11th December 2015, 23:30
Gonna cheer for Elísabet and Greta :D

Scooby
12th December 2015, 00:07
I only know Greta so obviously she is my number one.
BTW I soooo fucking love her previous song xheartxheartxheart

Francis
12th December 2015, 00:30
I'm devastated Sunday aren't back. Such a shame. Great to see Greta and Erna Hrönn though. I loved Myrkriđ Hljótt last year.

AshleyWright
12th December 2015, 00:51
Omg Greta. xheat Iceland could yet again top my ranking in eurovision.

whiteshoes
15th December 2015, 18:49
Sigga Eyrún – ‘Kreisí’ (Crazy) (Karl Olgeirsson, Sigríđur Eyrún Friđriksdóttir)

Helgi Valur Ásgeirsson – ‘Óvćr’ (Uneasy) (Karl Olgeirsson)

Erna Mist & Magnús Thorlacius – ‘Ótöluđorđ’ (Unspoken words) (Erna Mist, Magnús Thorlacius)

Erna Hrönn Ólafsdóttir & Hjörtur Traustason – ‘Hugurminner’ (My mind is) (Ţórunn Erna Clausen)

Ţórdís Birna Borgarsdóttir & Guđmundur Snorri Sigurđarson – ‘Spring yfirheiminn’ (All over the world) (Júlí Heiđar Halldórsson, Guđmundur Snorri Sigurđarson)

Alda Dís Arnardóttir – ‘Augnablik’ (One Moment) (Alma Guđmundsdóttir, James Wong, Alda Dís Arnardóttir)

Karlotta Sigurđardóttir – ‘Óstöđvandi’ (Unstoppable) (Kristinn Sigurpáll Sturluson, Ylfa Persson, Linda Persson, Alma Rut Kristjánsdóttir)

Ingólfur Ţórarinsson – ‘Fátćkurnámsmađur’ (A broke student) (Ingólfur Ţórarinsson)

Elísabet Ormslev – ‘Á ný’ (Again) (Greta Salome Stefánsdóttir)

Greta Salome Stefánsdóttir – ‘Raddirnar’ (The Voices) (Greta Salome Stefánsdóttir)

Sigríđur Eir Zophoniasardóttir & Jóhanna Vala Höskuldsdóttir – ‘Égséţig’ (I see you) (Sigríđur Eir Zophoniasardóttir, Jóhanna Vala Höskuldsdóttir)

Pálmi Gunnarsson – ‘Égleiđiţigheim’ (I lead you home) (Ţórir Úlfarsson)

Ooh I read familar names not only from previous Söngvakeppnin's (Sigga Eyrun xheat Erna Hrönn, Greta xlove) but also from The Voice of Iceland. Hjörtur Traustason is the brandnew winner of the edition. Moreover Elisabet Ormslev (Is she actually related to former football player Petúr Ormslev?) was in Semi Final I think. Karlotta Sigurđardóttir did also take part but got eliminated before
Pálmi Gunnarsson is a relatively big name if it's the Pálmi Gunnarsson I think of and he would really be a contrast to the other contenders. He was one of the singers in Iceland's debut ESC entry in 1986 and he also sang a wonderful version of "Island er land ţitt" my favorite Icelandic patriotic song
If it's a different Pálmi Gunnarsson just forget the sentences I wrote before. You never know... It seems that in Iceland many people have the same first name and patronym :D

The other names are unknown for me. Maybe we need an Icelandic user here for further explanations
Apparently also in Iceland the big artist are mostly not interested in joining ESC

theCONWEL
15th December 2015, 18:58

Someone wrote a song about me xfaint This one sounds fun :D

Greta Salome is great, as we all know, but I'm not too keen on returning artists - I prefer seeing what else a country has to offer than the same person again. I'll still rank her fairly though according to the songs of course :)

Elisabet Ormslev sounds pretty good, great voice. I hope her song is nice :D

The rest are unknown to me.

GlamSIMorous
15th January 2016, 18:17
The songs are released! xlisten2
http://www.ruv.is/songvakeppnin/login

AshleyWright
15th January 2016, 19:00
Ok, so Iceland took their DNQ from last year and learnt.....

Absolutely nothing. The NF is as beige as ever and I'm sure all of these could flop in the semis.
http://www.1926woodflooring.co.uk/acatalog/50-shades-of-beige.jpg

However, They have a Hot Hit, which the forum will obviously get behind; "Kreisí" with it's hot videogame beats.

I also quite like "Óstöđvandi" & "Spring yfir heiminn"

I don't mind "Raddirnar" by Greta, but it's a bit of let down after her 2012 entry. Also, it feels like the NF was made for this to win.

Sammy
15th January 2016, 19:21
so, here's my view of the choice....
Augnablik: starts a bit boring, but then it gets better. Still, I don't find it too interesting. The only thing that keeps me from clicking the "stop" button is the wonderful island language.
A ny: another slow start. The voice is not very convincing. The melody neither. But then with the drums it gets something mystical. High pitches, but in a weak falsetto.... well.... wouldn't be my choice either. But I think it will find its fanbase.
Eg leidi pig heim: what is going on here? another slow lullaby.... all the first three songs are interchangeable melody wise. next!
Eg se pig: WHAT? AGAIN? What happens to Iceland? This sounds exactly the same as the others. NEXT!
Fataekur namsmadur: At least some live here. I don't know if I like it because I just hat pure boredom up to now or if it is the song. At least, I'm not asleep, but I doubt, that this would qualify. Weak voice, nothing special.
Hugur minn er: Ok, something happened in Iceland, definitively: another ballad that is just bland boring. It tries to build up with the second voice tuning in, but it goes nowhere. But now it gets some power. Up to now the best one, but still not a good one.
Kreisi: ok, interesting intro. a voice of somebody who is not sedated..... a bit fun, a groove. modern sound. but the melody and the musical background somehow don't fit together. No catchy hookline. Could be interesting with a good staging. But nothing I would vote for in Stockholm.
Ostodvandi: That's a good voice, slow beginning, but with a certain tension. Yes! This is good! this is catchy! Good groove. The first one I really like. Holds the tension up to the end!
Ötulud ord: The woman has an annoying voice, very shallow. The guy is only slightly better. And the song is like the first ones (felt like a hundred). Utterly boring and not well sung. NEXT!
Ovaer: Better. At least, it doesn't put you to sleep immediately. Decent, but not outstanding.
Raddirnar: And the next lullaby. No wait! I'm wrong! She has awakened. That's also not bad, changes a lot, very slight allusion ethnic influences.
Spring yfir heiminn: Boring beginning, sudden rap. I don't get this.

So for me one clear winner. The only song that really makes me want to hear it twice (and even more often) is Karlotta's Ostödvandi. I could live with Greta's Raddirnar also, but I would nevertheless be disappointed if she won.
All the rest is completely forgettable and boring, if not annoying and I had to struggle to listen to the end. The worst islandic line-up for years....

RainyWoods
15th January 2016, 19:23
"Kreisí" for Eurovisionxheat Sonic the Hedgehog will surely sue but let him. It's the only song of the twelve that wasn't a struggle to listen to. The rest did absolutely nothing for me.

AlekS
15th January 2016, 19:35
I'd chose Ţórdís & Guđmundur - not sure about rap parts though :?
Not impressed by Greta. She can do much better than this.
Totally shocked how Elisabet wasted her talent on this borefest :/

RomanFromRussia
15th January 2016, 19:38
A ny xbow
Greta's song is great too xcheer

GRE
15th January 2016, 19:53
A Ny & Kreisi for me. :)

Fred
15th January 2016, 20:00
Wow, what a total let-down with Songvakeppnin...
What happened this year?

John1
15th January 2016, 20:09
Raddirnar is the only choice which should be made imo..

EDIT : Óstöđvandi is the best choice which Iceland can ever make.
I'M FOND OF THIS KIND OF SONG !!

Kairit
15th January 2016, 22:37
Wow... Icelandic selection is completely my kind of national final through and out. This is so full of quality and beauty, songs that go somewhere with their flowing melodies and songs that sound delicious to my ears, they're pretty much all produced so well and with originality. So Icelandic, yet so good. The thing just is, these are the kind of emotions and feelings I expect and love to get from songs. (And the kind of instrumentals I prefer, no cheap EDM beat for 20 songs straight) Thank you, Iceland. xlovexlove Last year you managed to pick my least favourite, though. And I guess you can call this year for Söngvakeppnin a bit too lullabie-ish and it is more boring than last year, but I don't mind much. One song will go to Eurovision and I will most likely treasure it (if they do pick this right.... please :?)

My 5 favourites:

1. Raddirnar (This. Is. So. Good. I can't even describe how much I love it. This would for sure be my nr. 1 this year. Channeling some serious Of Monsters And Men here, the trumpet solo immediately reminded me of "Little Talks" and the whole vibe is similar to their other songs. But they are one of my favourite bands and also Icelandic, so it's fine. I never really liked "Never Forget", too f-ing dramatic, this is a lot better, it has everything in balance.)
2. Ótöluđ orđ (What a beautiful duet... what delicate voices, instrumental and melody. This is very enchantingly pretty.)
3. Augnablik (This song is great, her vocals are pure bliss, the production is amazing and the whole song is just sweetsweet eargasm... I'm flying through clouds. I love songs that give me a positive emotion xlove)
4. Ég sé ţig (Same words as for Augnablik, it's just gets boring more quickly)
5. Spring yfir heiminn (Fantastic. And I'm not bothered by the rap at all, since that gives me Twenty One Pilots vibes a bit here for some reason and I love that. Over-all not as eargasmic at the others, but true quality nevertheless)

Á ný is obviously very good as well, I'm just not that excited about it.

Schlagerman1
15th January 2016, 23:15
What a good NF from Iceland! Many high quality songs. Just wondering, is the first 6 songs the ones that is going to compete in the first semi and the 6 below in the 2nd semi? Then the semi is REALLY uneven if you ask me, since almost all good songs are in the 2nd one. The first six is half of them christmas songs to be honest.

I have a hard time decided which song I liked the best, so here is a shortlist of a few with comments:

"Á ný" with Elísabet Ormslev is actually a class song among the first six. A little touch of Adele, but not too obvious. Really good song that should sail through to the final and do pretty well in Eurovision as well.

"Ótöluđ orđ" with Erna Mist & Magnús Thorlacius is also a classy song. Really good song, that is even good now in Icelandic (even if I am sure they will choose to sing in english in the end. Could be a song to watch out for if it works live.

"Óvćr" with Helgi Valur Ásgeirsson is really cool too. Very 70s over the chorus and catchy, sticks to ones mind immedietly. Don't think it would do that well in Eurovision, but I do like it a lot. :D

And I must mention "Raddirnar" with Greta Salomé. It is quite a weird song, medieval tunes meets modern indie pop, but it is at the same time very cool. But does she has what it takes to change genre like that? We'll find out.

I can see Iceland do really well in Stockholm with any of these songs! Looking forward to this NF! :D

julien4ESC
15th January 2016, 23:25
Wow this selection is very bad :o I don't find any song that I like. No final for Iceland this year again !

EscGeek
15th January 2016, 23:44
Easy choice for me

Ţórdís Birna Borgarsdóttir & Guđmundur Snorri Sigurđarson "Spring yfir heiminn" xcheer

Yoozek
16th January 2016, 01:06
A ny, Ostoovandi, Kreisi or Augnablik - they're all so purrfect. That's such a pleasant surprise since in their selections in the recent years I could hardly find even one song that would suit me.

Oh oh, this Eurovision gonna be good.

DanielLuis
16th January 2016, 02:08
Wow, how much the opinions about this NF differ!

whiteshoes
16th January 2016, 02:16
First of all, great service from RÚV to post the lyrics of the songs as well so one can sing the songs along xup

Now about the songs

Augnablik: Is it just me or is there in every Söngvakeppnin a song called Augnablik? Anyway, it's bland. Three minutes waste of time
Á ný: Very nice Piano play, nice verses but the chorus is disappointing. There is missing the punch. I don't like the drums in the chorus
Ég leiđi ţig heim: Maybe I am a bit biased for Pálmi cause I know other works of him but I really enjoyed this song. A little bit old-fashioned but charming. Moreover I think he would sing in Icelandic which is a massive factor for me
Ég sé ţig: Did nothing to me. Would be okayish as a filling song in an album but not on stage in Stockholm
Fátćkur námsmađur: Started promising. I thought I will listen to a nice indie-rock song. However, the longer the song was played the more disappointed did I become. This song will get a second chance for me, actually I like the tune.
Hugur minn er: Yay, a duet! Why not. A listenable song but very exchangable. It won't stand out at all.
Kreisí: Oh my gooood, my old Game Boy Colour made this sounds when I started it xheart Not my cup of tea but then again I think Iceland would do well with a song like this.
Óstöđvandi: Average song, with a strong final (the last 35 seconds)
Ótöluđ orđ: Yay, another duet! Cute :p Probably too cute xthink I hope this doesn't win I want Iceland to go in a different direction than this one.
Óvćr: Nice tune but also here is missing something special
Raddirnar: Wow! This is what I call powerful instrumentals. This song is passionate and won't bore anybody. Well done, Greta!
Spring yfir heiminn: Yay, another duet! Oh, this is too hip for me :( Rap songs only work for me if Ásgeir sings the chorus or if there is a cute student girls choir (UK in ESC 2006 xheat ). I hope this won't win.

I will cross all my 11 fingers for "Raddirnar". At least this is my conclusion after first listening. "Ég leiđi ţig heim" is my second choice and "Óvaer" my third. "Fátćkur námsmađur" and "Óstöđvandi" might be grower for me. Then there is still "Kreisi"... I am curios how it will be performed live. Although not liking the song it is a little bit fascinating...Hard to describe.
I don't care for the others songs

All in all, the level of Söngvakeppnin is very mediocre again. I wish Iceland would finally step up their game in ESC. Maybe forcing bigger artists to take part by blackmailing them with nude photos or something. It's not a secret that Iceland can do better music than this. :rolleyes:

ZoboCamel
16th January 2016, 05:36
Is it just me or is there in every Söngvakeppnin a song called Augnablik?

Yeah, it definitely feels like that. I think at this point we might have something else to add to the list of 'every Georgian male is named Sopho, half the people in Malta have the surname Borg and each year of ESC must have a Shine'.

Kaz
16th January 2016, 07:34
Yeah, it definitely feels like that. I think at this point we might have something else to add to the list of 'every Georgian male is named Sopho, half the people in Malta have the surname Borg and each year of ESC must have a Shine'.

Don't forget the iconic, 'Russian entry in Junior Eurovision called Dream'.

QwaarJet
16th January 2016, 10:14
Greta has a good song. I'm pretty sure Kreisi is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Palkin
16th January 2016, 11:42
All songs are very dull. Typical Iceland... But in general level "A Ny" is good enough.

Francis
16th January 2016, 14:05
Sunday should've returned this year, they would've had this win almost in the bag. Disappointing batch of very similar sounding, soft and safe songs. Karlotta Sigurđardóttir was my favourite. I was hoping for better from Greta and Erna.

SwissKung
16th January 2016, 14:21
I miss Sunday :( Hopefully they will return someday.

The selection is a bit flat, however I really like Á ný.

theCONWEL
16th January 2016, 14:31
Karlotta Sigurđardóttir or Elisabet Ormslev please xpray Easily the best songs for me!

popavapeur
16th January 2016, 15:51
Yep Sunday would have slayed this snooze fest !
Almost 7 songs are bland ballad, please don't make this ESC like last year...
So... Kreisí or Ótöluđ orđ... Where is Silvia Night :(

Cyberbliss
16th January 2016, 21:46
Here we go! Iceland, you're depriving me of good hooks and vibes. You'll be having trouble - again - reaching the final.

Kreisí 6: Even though I usually like electropop, this is like a "Getter Jaani-like" Pacman drunk in a fridge and the two verses reminding Gloria Gaynor are just embarassing :? As every trashy entry I must admit it's got some magic, but doesn't fully convince me.

Óvćr 7: I like this, I think it's a solid piece of music, it could grow well.

Ótöluđ orđ 6: I like their voices and I like the melody, though the song is quite boring in itself. It could get to the final as Hungary did last year, even though I appreciate the effort I don't think it's enough.

Hugur minn er 3: Oh my, a bland and boring ballad with no hooks whatsoever xbored

Spring yfirheiminn 6: Well, I didn’t expect an Icelandic rap. I must say it sounds quite good, their voices are cohesive. I don’t really like it but this could be a different choice for Iceland. Not the winner for me, but could easily win the NF :(

Augnablik 5: Not another quirky voice, Iceland. Please. The only thing that saves this song is the sound of the Icelandic language!

Óstöđvandi 6: At least this has got some personality, but I don’t get the hype.

Fátćkurnámsmađur 0: Is this a joke or what? x0s

Á ný 5: Classy but boring. I like how the classical arrangement sounds, that’s a good song but no, not in ESC.

Raddirnar 8: Ok, this is my favourite. Unfortunately there are 5 or 6 songs in 2015’s NF that appealed me a lot more. The mood is similar to last year’s “Aldrei of seint”. Just similar, I said :mrgreen:

Ég sé ţig 7: Well, this puzzles me a bit. I still have to decide if I find it a winning song or just a hipster-trick, in any case it’s quite enjoyable listening to.

Ég leiđi ţig heim 3: My dog is howling. That’s all.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AuroraBorealis
16th January 2016, 23:18
Out of these, I've found Spring yfir heiminn the most captivating. A strange mix of ballad & rap that could do pretty well with some good staging I think.

Kreisí is good too, although the backing track kinda sounds like Super Mario Bros sound effects :lol:

pinkchiffon
17th January 2016, 01:40
The only one I really enjoy is A ny. Longing, mystery, and beautiful instrumentation. That's the kind of writing I want to hear from Greta, not this obnoxious folk-pop sound that's a blight on international music (referring to her own entry that she's performing herself there.)

Kaz
17th January 2016, 01:43
My favourites are Greta and Karlotta. They're probably the only two I can tolerate out of the bunch. :lol:

whiteshoes
17th January 2016, 16:07
Á ný is already growing on me. Now my second favorite after Raddirnar xheart

Halldor
17th January 2016, 16:47
This isn't that great of an NF, but I see 6 songs that could do well, and of those six, there are four I believe could have a good shot at doing great things in Stockholm, those are:

Óvćr: It's different from the others and doesn't have any oomph to it, but I don't think it needs it, I loved this song from the second I heard it, it's so good

Óstöđvandi: I can see this be a contender honestly, although I do think all 4 are contenders, this I think is more expected to do well rather than the other 4, a great singer who I believe no one has heard of, same goess for Ovćr's singer and the next song which is

Ótöluđ orđ: Such a cute duo, and a great song with a good melody, it reminds me of "Í kvöld", only good, and might do well in Stockholm

Spring Yfirheiminn: This was the last song I listened to, and I was relieved to hear this last, finally Iceland has an original idea (well, excluding SUNDAY, we haven't had the most diverse selection) this is a relief and will do well here at home, and if it goes to Stockholm, it will qualify, what happens in the final? I think they'll be contenders, but who knows?

Mrm
17th January 2016, 16:51
Really disappointed in the line up, have listened to all of them and I don't care who will win! xcry :(

QwaarJet
17th January 2016, 16:56
Out of these, I've found Spring yfir heiminn the most captivating. A strange mix of ballad & rap that could do pretty well with some good staging I think.

Kreisí is good too, although the backing track kinda sounds like Super Mario Bros sound effects :lol:

It doesn't sound like them, it literally is the effects from (I think) Super Mario Land 2 being ripped and put on the backing track. If Nintendo found out they'd probably have an embolism.

Nikkita
17th January 2016, 16:58
Á ný would be amazing in English. A nice, contemporary ballad. Kreisí, my another favourite would be the most Icelandic entry ever, so cute and quirky. We need much unique stuff like this in Eurovision. Other songs are just mediocre to me.

John1
17th January 2016, 17:38
Iceland could easily win without this selection process...

VikingTiger
17th January 2016, 23:54
I have just listened to all the songs driving my car. And I am not disappointed. It's not much diversity here, that's true.
But there are 4 songs that I really do like;

Alda
Greta Salome
Karlotta
Sigga

Hopefully one of these will win; Greta and Sigga being my favourites.

ParadiseES
18th January 2016, 00:55
Good NF. Much better than last year, so there's hope for Iceland this year. I don't see top-10 material, but I do see many qualifier songs :)

My favourite is Karlotta! It's one of the best NF songs so far <3
But I have the feeling Iceland will choose "Augnablik" or "Á ny" and I wouldn't like it.

PamSwynford
18th January 2016, 18:41
http://www.visir.is/section/MEDIA98&fileid=CLP42493
From 6:00 - English version of Alda's song. The title is "Now".

cripesdude
19th January 2016, 12:08
So here goes, my current ordering:

1. Raddirnar (Rather good, but not sure if it will work out at Eurovision?)
2. Augnablik (A great little song, but is it too similar to last year’s Icelandic entry, could bad vocals kill it?)
3. Spring yfir heiminn (A different style, definitely stands out, but perhaps a little dated?)
4. Á ný
5. Ótöluđ orđ
6. Ég sé ţig
7. Hugur minn er
8. Óstöđvandi
9. Kreisí
10. Óvćr
11. Fátćkur námsmađur
12. Ég leiđi ţig heim

I’m finding it hard to choose between my top 3, and I’m sure they will change around before the national final as I’ve only just had my first listens… Although it is always interesting to note first impressions as that’s what most public voters go on!

‘Raddirnar’ is my head’s choice, objectively I think it’s the best song, very ‘Of Monsters and Men’. But I am worried it might not fit at Eurovision, and could get lost in a ‘ballad/folk year’ or without a very strong performance (specifically visuals/lighting)?

‘Spring yfir heiminn’ is my heart’s choice. Yes it’s a little ‘cheesy’, but it really stands out in this selection and does its own thing with conviction… I like it, but Europe might hate it. This isn’t the sort of song I would normally go for… but hey, you like what you like… am I the only one, or could this be a dark horse?

‘Augnablik’ is my stomach’s choice, a great little song that is perfect for Eurovision and that got stuck in my head after one listen… I’m worried it’s similar to last year’s entry (cute girl, catchy - and my overall 12 points!) which didn’t qualify - but I think that was down to the unfortunate vocal on the night. If this is performed well it could do rather well?

I also like ‘Á ný’ and ‘Ótöluđ orđ’ but they just don’t quite do it for me to be top 3. All the other songs are not options in my opinion…

In summary, for me: ‘Spring yfir heiminn’ is the likeable outsider, ‘Augnablik’ is the safe choice, ‘Raddirnar’ is the risk that might pay off.

…and all this could still change for me, especially after seeing the performances at the NF!

Zorjan
19th January 2016, 12:27
I always love the songs in Iceland, so I can't help but feeling slightly disappointed by the entries competing this year :s
Some of them are quite nice, but unfortunately too easily forgotten.. My favorites would probably be "Ótöluđ Orđ" and "Óstöđvandi" ;)

anto475
19th January 2016, 22:47
Greta has to win, that's the strongest song out of them all. I hope she proves her strength live and doesn't let her arrogance trip her up in Stockholm as it did in Baku.

Lolinna
24th January 2016, 18:59
Three of the songs have already been released in English, so if they win, they will not be performed in Icelandic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyPreQe8yuE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF5Ip0N2mzI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOW-OoaYXVI

John1
24th January 2016, 20:15
As far as I know, I think Iceland will pick an artist (in this NF I mean) who we didn't expect to be chosen.
Like Maria last year instead of Friorik (Sorry for this terrible writing of those names, but Icelandic is still...)

Mickey
24th January 2016, 20:26
This NF is all about Kreisi for me. I just want to see it on a big Eurovision stage with a giant retro video game going on behind Sigga. Iceland do gimmicky stagings (Pollaponk, Paul Oscar, Silvia Night) better than most.

QwaarJet
24th January 2016, 20:55
Out of these songs, Greta is the only choice.

nunaney
26th January 2016, 22:29
I was rooting for Kreisi but the English version sounds so awkward :(

kaarendu
27th January 2016, 05:11
Every single song suck. Seriously. This is a horrible year for Iceland which I don't understand because we've got some really good and solid musicians over here that could do the country proud. The only persons I know from this years bunch are Pálmi, Gréta and Ingó. I have no idea where all of the others came from. Probably Iceland Got Talent and The Voice, neither of which I watch.

Fred
27th January 2016, 07:50
Every single song suck. Seriously. This is a horrible year for Iceland which I don't understand because we've got some really good and solid musicians over here that could do the country proud. The only persons I know from this years bunch are Pálmi, Gréta and Ingó. I have no idea where all of the others came from. Probably Iceland Got Talent and The Voice, neither of which I watch.

I have to say that I really love when people from a country gives their opinion about their own delegation.
I think the same, all the songs are dull and gray.
No exceptions

whiteshoes
28th January 2016, 18:54

Yes, Hjörtur who sings "Hugur Minn er" together with Erna Hrönn won The Voice. I think Elisabet Ormslev did also take part in The Voice.
I wouldn't blast the selection as you do cause I like Greta's song as well as Palmi's song (depsite being too outdated probably) and 2, 3 other songs are grower
However, I totally agree that the selection is disappointing if you look of the quality of Iceland's music industry.
I wonder if the ESC become unattractive also for Icelandic "stars". As a German I can say that many artists don't like to take part in ESC cause their fear a bad result and a "damage" for their career and reputation. Do you think there is any chance in the future that more popular artists like Ásgeir Trausti will take part? What do the "bigger" artists think about in ESC in general? Maybe the RUV has to make more efforts to attract the stars :D

Lolinna
28th January 2016, 21:03
Yes, Hjörtur who sings "Hugur Minn er" together with Erna Hrönn won The Voice. I think Elisabet Ormslev did also take part in The Voice.
I wouldn't blast the selection as you do cause I like Greta's song as well as Palmi's song (depsite being too outdated probably) and 2, 3 other songs are grower
However, I totally agree that the selection is disappointing if you look of the quality of Iceland's music industry.
I wonder if the ESC become unattractive also for Icelandic "stars". As a German I can say that many artists don't like to take part in ESC cause their fear a bad result and a "damage" for their career and reputation. Do you think there is any chance in the future that more popular artists like Ásgeir Trausti will take part? What do the "bigger" artists think about in ESC in general? Maybe the RUV has to make more efforts to attract the stars :D

I actually like most of the songs this year :oops: They are not what Iceland usually send in, I know. Regarding Iceland's popular artists, they will not take part in Eurovision while they are doing well in their career, since it's not looked at favorably by the elite, so to speak:D

Regarding Asgeir Trausti, I love him as an artist, but have you been to concert with him? He is so shy and uncomunicative, that i don't think he will fit in the crazy world of Eurovision. :o Do you think that Eurovision fans would feel his music? I'm afraid most of them would think his music boring.:(

Kaz
29th January 2016, 07:36
Karlotta has overtaken Greta as my first place. The English version of her song is almost as good as the Icelandic version, but I think that it will definitely do better in English if it makes it to Stockholm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jdpnROt74Q

whiteshoes
29th January 2016, 13:49
I actually like most of the songs this year :oops: They are not what Iceland usually send in, I know. Regarding Iceland's popular artists, they will not take part in Eurovision while they are doing well in their career, since it's not looked at favorably by the elite, so to speak:D

Regarding Asgeir Trausti, I love him as an artist, but have you been to concert with him? He is so shy and uncomunicative, that i don't think he will fit in the crazy world of Eurovision. :o Do you think that Eurovision fans would feel his music? I'm afraid most of them would think his music boring.:(

I've been on an Ásgeir concert on a festival in Hamburg last summer. You are absolutely right about him being shy.. the only words he said to the attendance were a silent "Thank you" after every song :D However, even though nowadays ESC is much about show and choreography I still believe that a shy guy with a guitar can win the people's heart especially if he has a great voice.
I like to remember on Germany's entry of 2004: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6jSUb_RvXM A simple ballad but it did very well by becoming 8th place. That was even before the jury voting returned. Not entirely comparable to an Ásgeir song but it is noticeable that Max is shy as well as you can see that his eyes were closed during almost the whole song (Ásgeir use to do this as well). I like to say that you don't have to be a extroverted entertainer to take part in ESC. I also think that Ásgeir himself wouldn't be interested to take part in ESC cause it's too much fuss for him but hope dies last.

If not Ásgeir I at least hope for some nice bands like Kaleo, Dikta or Mono Town to take part one day. The Dikta lead singer was in NF last year, what a pity that he didn't perform with his band.

For this NF as I said, Greta is still my favorite, some parts of this powerful and vivd song reminds me on Of Monsters and Men, and I'm looking foward to see how it works on stage on next week

Nikkita
31st January 2016, 14:14
This NF is all about Kreisi for me. I just want to see it on a big Eurovision stage with a giant retro video game going on behind Sigga. Iceland do gimmicky stagings (Pollaponk, Paul Oscar, Silvia Night) better than most.
And English version is very good too! It would be funny, fresh and entertaining.

Arv
3rd February 2016, 16:05
I agree with some of the above, quite weak songs imo. I like Erna & Magnus, I think the song is different and could do well because of it. :) I'd like it to be in icelandic though.

Schlagerman1
3rd February 2016, 16:24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRxR2epnbKU

Looking forward for their performance, really two stunning voices and such a sweet song! xlove

anto475
4th February 2016, 23:06
Does anyone know if Greta wins will we hear Raddirnar or Voices in Stockholm?

hunty73
6th February 2016, 20:04
can someone put the direct stream please,thankyou

John1
6th February 2016, 20:30
http://oklivetv.com/ruv-tv-live/

EDIT : WOOPS it does no longer work...

QwaarJet
6th February 2016, 20:50
Does anyone know if Greta wins will we hear Raddirnar or Voices in Stockholm?

It's Greta, so I'm assuming English.

QwaarJet
6th February 2016, 22:17
Wow, Greta's performance was stunning.

Zorjan
6th February 2016, 22:19
Is it Greta or Mĺns performing "Raddirnar"? Greta Salome has definitely seen "Heroes" far too many times! :o

QwaarJet
6th February 2016, 22:23
Is it Greta or Mĺns performing "Raddirnar"? Greta Salome has definitely seen "Heroes" far too many times! :o

Mans was hardly the first one to do that.

John1
6th February 2016, 22:25
Qualifiers are obvious tonight...

Zorjan
6th February 2016, 22:26
Mans was hardly the first one to do that.

True... Still I don't believe it to be a coincidence ;)

QwaarJet
6th February 2016, 22:36
True... Still I don't believe it to be a coincidence ;)

Doesn't matter. Everything is a copy of something else. I thought the graphics were spectacular.

Zorjan
6th February 2016, 22:45
Doesn't matter. Everything is a copy of something else. I thought the graphics were spectacular.

Well, I really liked the graphics as well (or I certainly would have, had it been perfectly timed and synchronized).. I was just surprised by the similarities to Heroes; I guess I'd expected a performance a bit more like Never Forget ;)

Nikkita
6th February 2016, 22:51
http://www.ruv.is/ruv I guess that's the live stream. I hope i did not missed many songs :lol:

theCONWEL
6th February 2016, 22:53
Karlotta xheat

Love the song, love her voice xup

John1
6th February 2016, 22:57
Karlotta xcheerxcheerxcheerxcheerxcheerxcheer

lavieenrose
6th February 2016, 23:00
I just fell in love with "Kreisi" xheat

theCONWEL
6th February 2016, 23:01
Kreisi is just the weirdest thing I've ever seen. In a bad way.

This would be ridiculed to shit.

Nikkita
6th February 2016, 23:01
Kreisi was just too good. I want to see freakshow in ESC!

Lupus
6th February 2016, 23:05
Kreisi is just the weirdest thing I've ever seen. In a bad way.

This would be ridiculed to shit.

Couldn't agree more... Just silly.

SwissKung
6th February 2016, 23:06
Kreisi's live was just so perfect! Still a not fan of the song but I wouldn't mind seeing the performance again.

Karlotta is not going to qualify, it was boring.

John1
6th February 2016, 23:31
Kreisi's live was just so perfect! Still a not fan of the song but I wouldn't mind seeing the performance again.

Karlotta is not going to qualify, it was boring.

This moment when you see that kind of post and react badly.
That's not my case, but it's not far away from my reaction...

QwaarJet
6th February 2016, 23:32
I take it everyone missed Greta?

John1
6th February 2016, 23:35
I take it everyone missed Greta?

Not at all..

QwaarJet
6th February 2016, 23:44
Greta qualifies!

John1
6th February 2016, 23:46
KARLOTTA DID IT !

popavapeur
6th February 2016, 23:49
No Kreisi? ...

John1
6th February 2016, 23:50
No Kreisi? ...

Nope.
Thank you God though.

theCONWEL
6th February 2016, 23:50
This must be the first time ever one of my favourites in Iceland has qualified xrofl

John1
6th February 2016, 23:55
This must be the first time ever one of my favourites in Iceland has qualified xrofl

That's the same as my case. :lol:

Sammy
6th February 2016, 23:56
Both of my favorites qualified. xyes

QwaarJet
6th February 2016, 23:58
I'd say Greta is the obvious choice and has this in the bag, but Iceland tend to vote in strange ways.

nunaney
6th February 2016, 23:59
The audience cheered a lot more for Karlotta than Greta so I'm worried.

John1
7th February 2016, 00:03
The audience cheered a lot more for Karlotta than Greta so I'm worried.

That's well deserved.
Greta didn't sing better than Karlotta.

QwaarJet
7th February 2016, 00:35
Here's the video for anyone that didn't catch the start of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN19PiFZT4w

Sammy
7th February 2016, 08:08
Greta clearly was not flawless vocally, but the staging is impressive, though clearly a reaction to Mans.

Songwise I prefer Karlotta, also because she had the better vocal performance.

EscGeek
7th February 2016, 09:38
Iceland,are you kidding me :rolleyes:

Sammy
7th February 2016, 10:09
The biggest present Iceland can make me is sending Karlotta and keep the song in islandic!

Yoozek
7th February 2016, 12:20
Greta performance was NOT good. Those hands.... that smoke. I have no idea what she sang about but it was too much for my taste. I don't like it at all.

anto475
7th February 2016, 20:30
Greta really needs to tone down the dancing if she wants to go to Stockholm, and if she does go to Stockholm then she really needs to not repeat her mistake in Baku and smile throughout the whole song. Voices isn't exactly a sad song but it's not a song of pure joy, and showing off that massive mouth of hers doesn't lend sincerity to the song. Just look at Maria Olafs last year, grinning for 3 minutes while talking about building herself back up again after a bad experience. No wonder she didn't qualify.

QwaarJet
8th February 2016, 00:49
Greta performance was NOT good. Those hands.... that smoke. I have no idea what she sang about but it was too much for my taste. I don't like it at all.

Well, a lot of people had loads of positives to say. It made an impression.

whiteshoes
8th February 2016, 01:57
Oh my god, just realized that I completely forgot about the first SF of Söngvakeppnin... shame on me!
No surprise that Raddirnar made it to the final.. The staging was very impressive and remarkable, even though the message isn't entirely clear for me. However that's not crucial. The song is wonderful and her vocals were - in my opinion - alright. There is still room for improvement but it wasn't distracting in any way. I just don't like her outfit, it looks weird.
I think she would be a good representer of Iceland!

AlekS
8th February 2016, 02:23
Greta has a gr8 graphics behind her but choreo distracts her from performing, very risky. The pragmatic part of me says pick Karlotta and work on her staging but my soul chooses Greta.

CPV4931
8th February 2016, 23:06
I hope, Ingólfur gets the wildcard for the final in Iceland. Great song, my favorite from semi 1. From the qualified entries, Greta Salome was the favorite and stuck in my head for a long time :-)

John1
9th February 2016, 15:03
Karlotta is the real winner of this selection, that's amazing how she sounds like a rising artist !

QwaarJet
9th February 2016, 15:33
Karlotta is the real winner of this selection, that's amazing how she sounds like a rising artist !

Methinks the real winner is the one that goes to Eurovision, which is almost certainly either Greta or Karlotta.

John1
9th February 2016, 15:40
Methinks the real winner is the one that goes to Eurovision, which is almost certainly either Greta or Karlotta.

Will they organize a superfinal like last year or not ?

purplefebruary
9th February 2016, 15:54
It'll be Greta vs Alda in the superfinal, pipe down

John1
9th February 2016, 16:06
It'll be Greta vs Alda in the superfinal, pipe down

Who is Alda actually ? :lol:

Yazy
10th February 2016, 01:16
After listening to all the songs (studio version only), my favorites are: Hugur minn er, Óstöđvandi, and Augnablik.

Some of those entries take a bit longer to start growing on you though.

ES2011
11th February 2016, 01:20
After the crazy strong selection of 2015 (and the not so strong winner), I was quite dissapointed with the songs i heard this year. Since 2011 I've always liked the Icelandic songs................ALWAYS. And this year could be the first time that Iceland won't end up in my top 15...........Untill i saw the life shows.
Greta Salome is my final hope if she keeps this format and more importantly: IF SHE KEEPS IT IN ICELANDIC!!!!! ::is ::is ::is

I swear if they change it to English again this year, I will stop speaking English, learn Icelandic and just start speaking that out of protest ;P

whiteshoes
11th February 2016, 01:25
With her powerful song and that stage performance Greta is a strong contender for the Top 10 in Stockholm, this seems pretty clear to me.
But who knows who Iceland population is gonna vote for? Fair enough, lets wait for SF2. Maybe some songs will flourish through a nice live performance.

QwaarJet
11th February 2016, 12:30
After the crazy strong selection of 2015 (and the not so strong winner), I was quite dissapointed with the songs i heard this year. Since 2011 I've always liked the Icelandic songs................ALWAYS. And this year could be the first time that Iceland won't end up in my top 15...........Untill i saw the life shows.
Greta Salome is my final hope if she keeps this format and more importantly: IF SHE KEEPS IT IN ICELANDIC!!!!! ::is ::is ::is

I swear if they change it to English again this year, I will stop speaking English, learn Icelandic and just start speaking that out of protest ;P

I'm 90% sure Greta will go English if she wins.

ES2011
11th February 2016, 13:21
I'm 90% sure Greta will go English if she wins.

Wishful thinking? :lol:
I just don't understand why they keep doing this. Eg a lif was actually a pretty strong song before they changed it to English. I know that it's to appeal to a wider audience, but I have the feeling that the majority would prefer it in Icelandic. It always give some sort of magic to these types of songs and by switching to English it just turns into one of those forgettable Eurovision songs that end up around 8th place, but nobody would remember in a few years.

GianlucaTomoe
11th February 2016, 13:28
I just don't understand why they keep doing this. Eg a lif was actually a pretty strong song before they changed it to English. I know that it's to appeal to a wider audience, but I have the feeling that the majority would prefer it in Icelandic. It always give some sort of magic to these types of songs and by switching to English it just turns into one of those forgettable Eurovision songs that end up around 8th place, but nobody would remember in a few years.

Uhm, that song was never changed to English tho...

John1
11th February 2016, 13:32
I'm afraid that if both Karlotta and Greta would win the whole thing, they'd change the lyrics of their songs into English ones...

ES2011
11th February 2016, 15:37
Uhm, that song was never changed to English tho...

My mistake, I meant Litil skref :lol: :lol:
Eg a lif was a masterpiece xbow :P

John1
11th February 2016, 15:38
My mistake, I meant Litil skref :lol: :lol:
Eg a lif was a masterpiece xbow :P

Litil skref was a weak/dull song even if they'd have decided to keep it in Icelandic.

QwaarJet
11th February 2016, 15:41

Excuse me? My personal stance is that until I hear both versions it would be impossible to know what it better. I love the song as it now, but my point is Greta has shown in the past she tends to prefer songs in English due to the song being understood by more people.

John1
11th February 2016, 15:45
I don't know if this version of Óstöđvandi was sent to this thread, but in the case it wouldn't have been, here it is :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jdpnROt74Q

Both songs are amazing but Karlotta should keep it in Icelandic...

cripesdude
12th February 2016, 12:13
Litil skref was a weak/dull song even if they'd have decided to keep it in Icelandic.

:(

It was my 12 points last year!

cripesdude
12th February 2016, 12:15
With her powerful song and that stage performance Greta is a strong contender for the Top 10 in Stockholm, this seems pretty clear to me.
But who knows who Iceland population is gonna vote for? Fair enough, lets wait for SF2. Maybe some songs will flourish through a nice live performance.

I think the performance needs a little work and I'm worried the audience will just think it's a copy of Sweden last year with the video interaction but I think this entry is going in the right direction... we'll know soon!

QwaarJet
12th February 2016, 12:17

Well, it got the result it deserved in Vienna, at least. Just a shame Iceland once against selected crap to represent them.

John1
12th February 2016, 12:29

You should've given her your 12 points then. :lol:

nunaney
13th February 2016, 22:05
So I guess no one is watching this? I know there was one song I like from this semi but I don't remember which one it was.

Mii11
14th February 2016, 00:20
I usually don't like this kind of music, but Spring yfir heiminn has really grown on me. :)

Kitakaze
14th February 2016, 04:25
No wildcard this year? I was really hoping to see Erna & Magnús in the final.

DanielLuis
14th February 2016, 04:39
No wildcard this year? I was really hoping to see Erna & Magnús in the final.

There will be a wildcard, but it hasn't been announced yet.

QwaarJet
14th February 2016, 06:08
There will be a wildcard, but it hasn't been announced yet.

It was already confirmed that there won't be a wildard.

DaFlo
16th February 2016, 14:24
just pushed through the finalists, Greta & Karlotta are allright, but there's only one choice for me: The Icelandic Eminem xheat

GlamSIMorous
16th February 2016, 21:50
So sad that most of them switch to English:
1. Greta Salóme Stefánsdóttir – Hear them calling
2. Erna Hrönn Ólafsdóttir & Hjörtur Traustason – I promised you then
3. Karlotta Sigurđardóttir – Eye of the storm
4. Ţórdís Birna Borgarsdóttir & Guđmundur Snorri Sigurđarson – Ready to break free
5. Elísabet Ormslev – Á ný
6. Alda Dís Arnardóttir – Now

QwaarJet
16th February 2016, 21:59
I'm willing to give them a chance, but I admit I was hoping Raddirnar would stay in English, but Greta is obviously thinking about getting the highest result at ESC.

GlamSIMorous
16th February 2016, 22:03
Yep, I guess so too, but I felt like the icelandic give it the mystery it needed to really make it good. Well, we'll see. :)

Sammy
16th February 2016, 23:09
WHY???? The islandic versions were soooooo much cooler!!!! SOOCSOOCSOOCSOOC

whiteshoes
17th February 2016, 11:26
Greta xfacepalm

does the same mistake twice :rolleyes:

Then again, in contrast to Mundu eftir mér in 2012 Raddirnar might work well in English, I think it might be alright

John1
17th February 2016, 12:55
Good choice to change it into English Karlotta.

nunaney
18th February 2016, 05:53
Who is the favorite to win?

QwaarJet
18th February 2016, 09:36
Who is the favorite to win?

Greta is. But you never know with Icelandic voters. They vote for some weird stuff.

John1
18th February 2016, 12:37
Greta is. But you never know with Icelandic voters. They vote for some weird stuff.

Only Greta????

DaFlo
18th February 2016, 12:39

I hope they choose the "weird stuff" once again :rolleyes:

QwaarJet
18th February 2016, 12:43
Only Greta????

What do you mean?

John1
18th February 2016, 12:47
What do you mean?

Isn't there any other favourite?

Kaz
18th February 2016, 13:01

Well, the current betting odds predict the winner will be either Greta or that rap song with the singers whose names I can't pronounce, but Alda Dis and Karlotta are still in with a chance IMO.

John1
18th February 2016, 13:09
Well, the current betting odds predict the winner will be either Greta or that rap song with the singers whose names I can't pronounce, but Alda Dis and Karlotta are still in with a chance IMO.

Sounds great because Karlotta's song is quite good.

Kaz
18th February 2016, 13:12
Sounds great because Karlotta's song is quite good.

I agree, Karlotta is probably my favourite of the bunch, and would probably be my number 1 song in ESC this year so far, if it's chosen. But I mean, there isn't really a lot of competition. :lol:

John1
18th February 2016, 13:14
I agree, Karlotta is probably my favourite of the bunch, and would probably be my number 1 song in ESC this year so far, if it's chosen. But I mean, there isn't really a lot of competition. :lol:

Karlotta's song is incredibly good, better than Greta's one when it comes to perform it on a stage => different vocals

QwaarJet
18th February 2016, 13:23

From what I can with odds and with other ways of measuring, Greta is the favourite. Doesn't mean she will win, but she's the favourite.

whiteshoes
18th February 2016, 17:33
I think also Elisabet isn't completely chanceless. At least I hope so!

Anyway, I'm still in #teamGreta . I guess her performance and staging will be overwhelming enough to forget my disappointment about her renewed language switch

Hopefully Iceland isn't trolling by chosing that rap song

anto475
18th February 2016, 21:21
I like the new version of Raddirnar/Hear Them Calling. But I just hope that she ditches the horrible dancing ahead of the Eurovision in May. It looks like everyone's bad impression of Loreen's dancing.

GianlucaTomoe
18th February 2016, 21:54
Don't underestimate Alda's chances.

Yazy
18th February 2016, 22:00
I´m not really hyped if the winner is going to be translated into English. Songs that were originally in native language and then translated into English never, ever work for me. :?

debemaks
19th February 2016, 13:31
I´m not really hyped if the winner is going to be translated into English. Songs that were originally in native language and then translated into English never, ever work for me. :?

Fully agree!!!

John1
19th February 2016, 20:40

Alda's song is dreadful compared to Greta's one.

QwaarJet
19th February 2016, 22:11

It's a dreadful song, so Iceland will probably vote for it.

Seriously, they only have one thing to do. Vote Greta = success.

https://www.facebook.com/gretasalome.violin/posts/793674160736855?comment_id=794180577352880&comment_tracking={%22tn%22%3A%22R%22}

Greta's response to people's demand for the song to remain in Icelandic.

Schlagerman1
20th February 2016, 02:03
Listening to the english versions of the songs.... and wondering big time what the hell Greta Salomés screen has to do with her song... a song where she is hearing someone calling that they are home and in the background she is being attacked by giant hands...like WHAT THE F**K? :S

To be honest, this final is boring as hell, all my faves I had is out and the one I liked prior is really boring. If I have to pick someone it has to be the rap song, since he is actually quite good (even if the female singer is actually hideous...).

whiteshoes
20th February 2016, 13:01
The English version of Raddirnar is so disappointing xcry
Why, Greta, WHY?

Hopefully Á ny wins, at least it's in Icelandic and has been my second favorite anyway

John1
20th February 2016, 13:23
'Now' and 'A ny' are the worst choice ever for an Icelandic NF...
Just choose Greta and end up the show please

A-lister
20th February 2016, 13:52
The English version of Raddirnar is so disappointing xcry
Why, Greta, WHY?

I hate this selling out, and she apparently didn't learn from her mistake back in 2012 so le'ts hope karma will teach her once more...

A-lister
20th February 2016, 13:54

Same here, and I don't understand the Icelandic concept, if they can't have the guts of keeping it in the original Icelandic versions, then why even have the Icelandic rule in the first place? Makes no sense to me xshrug ... just make it an Anglo-fest like the rest... so much for EUROvision....

John1
20th February 2016, 14:11
I hate this selling out, and she apparently didn't learn from her mistake back in 2012 so le'ts hope karma will teach her once more...

She might not win this NF as Karlotta is the only 'strong' contestant which can take the trophee away from her.

Schlagerman1
20th February 2016, 14:15
But why are you people so sure that the songs are written originally in Icelandic? It isn't so that the songs might be written first in English and then translated for the NF (Greta Salome wrote this on Facebook, and that makes this system of having to sing in Icelandic in the semi quite lame...)

John1
20th February 2016, 14:19
But why are you people so sure that the songs are written originally in Icelandic? It isn't so that the songs might be written first in English and then translated for the NF (Greta Salome wrote this on Facebook, and that makes this system of having to sing in Icelandic in the semi quite lame...)

Singing in English in an Icelandic NF is quite dull when you see that Icelandic sounds better than English in some songs, especially Greta's one.

Schlagerman1
20th February 2016, 14:29
Singing in English in an Icelandic NF is quite dull when you see that Icelandic sounds better than English in some songs, especially Greta's one.

But then you should complain to RUV, since they decide the rules so that you hear the Icelandic version first. If it was completly open to sing whatever language, then you would never hear the icelandic version at all, and never know how it sounds like. Now you get to hear both versions, which seems to be a great disadvantage, cause there is always fans that thinks that either they are prefering the english or the icelandic one.

A-lister
20th February 2016, 14:30

Because one the main rules for songs to even be eligible for the selection is to be in Icelandic, that's why I think it's pretty logical and in most cases apparent that the songs were originally written that way, otherwise they wouldn't even be allowed in the first place.

We already know from the 2012 scenario that Greta isn't really trustworthy on what she says, and honestly that's what they all say when they get criticized for changing the language. I think this might be true in some cases, but I think in the vast majority of cases they are simply just making this up because it sounds "good" in defense.

John1
20th February 2016, 14:32
But then you should complain to RUV, since they decide the rules so that you hear the Icelandic version first. If it was completly open to sing whatever language, then you would never hear the icelandic version at all, and never know how it sounds like. Now you get to hear both versions, which seems to be a great disadvantage, cause there is always fans that thinks that either they are prefering the english or the icelandic one.

I'm not complaining at all, but in this case, there are my personal tastes which are quite weird. :lol:

Schlagerman1
20th February 2016, 14:40
Because one the main rules for songs to even be eligible for the selection is to be in Icelandic, that's why I think it's in most cases pretty apparent that the songs were originally written that way, otherwise they wouldn't even be allowed in the first place.

We already know from the 2012 that Greta isn't really trustworthy on what she says, and honestly that's what they all say when they get criticized for changing the language. I think this might be true in some cases, but I think in the vast majority of cases they are siply just making this up because it sounds "good" in defense.

I am sure that many songs in this national final are written in English first, at least close to 50% of all the songs. Greta, who is pretty known in Iceland and has competed in ESC before, surely writes in focus for Eurovision and not for the Icelandic market. Karlottas song is also written by swedish songwriters, so that one is surely also written first in English. In the past I liked that the RUV had this format, but I see now the problem when fans are judging Icelandic singers for choosing english, which is making the results for Iceland suffer. I like the Icelandic language, but when the rules are as they are in Eurovision, then I think the singers and songwriters has to choose things themselves.

John1
20th February 2016, 14:54
I am sure that many songs in this national final are written in English first, at least close to 50% of all the songs. Greta, who is pretty known in Iceland and has competed in ESC before, surely writes in focus for Eurovision and not for the Icelandic market. Karlottas song is also written by swedish songwriters, so that one is surely also written first in English. In the past I liked that the RUV had this format, but I see now the problem when fans are judging Icelandic singers for choosing english, which is making the results for Iceland suffer. I like the Icelandic language, but when the rules are as they are in Eurovision, then I think the singers and songwriters has to choose things themselves.

The English version of Iceland's 2012 song wasn't worth it while the Icelandic one was though.

A-lister
20th February 2016, 15:18
The English version of Iceland's 2012 song wasn't worth it while the Icelandic one was though.

The 2012 entry is a good example of why translations to English shouldn't be made in some cases, in English the whole essence and soul got sucked out of the song and showing ignorance towards the public opinion surely didn't contribute either and it rightly flopped in the ESC final.

I see a deja vu this time around...

John1
20th February 2016, 15:33
The 2012 entry is a good example of why translations to English shouldn't be made in some cases, in English the whole essence and soul got sucked out of the song and showing ignorance towards the public opinion surely didn't contribute either and it rightly flopped in the ESC final.

I see a deja vu this time around...

The artists which usually compete in the ESC think that the translation of their song into English is rather suitable than the official language of the country which they're competing for.
For instance, there are the songs of Azerbaijan 2014 or Poland 2015 which would've deserved to be sing in Azeri/Polish language.
This is 2 examples among a thousand though, but 'Bir qığılcım' (AZE 2014) or 'Obudź się i Żyj' might certainly do better than their actual results, and if Iceland wants to renew with the final(s), then they should cancel this stupid rule which allows the singers to sing in different languages than English, whatever they're actually.
So... Radirnar would've qualified in 2012 with its English version, but not in 2016.
Too bad Greta.

DanielLuis
20th February 2016, 17:43
The songs should be sung in the language the artists want from the beginning. There's no point in making them sing in a language if they can change it one week later.

QwaarJet
20th February 2016, 19:12
Because one the main rules for songs to even be eligible for the selection is to be in Icelandic, that's why I think it's pretty logical and in most cases apparent that the songs were originally written that way, otherwise they wouldn't even be allowed in the first place.

We already know from the 2012 scenario that Greta isn't really trustworthy on what she says, and honestly that's what they all say when they get criticized for changing the language. I think this might be true in some cases, but I think in the vast majority of cases they are simply just making this up because it sounds "good" in defense.

Except that Raddirnar sounds far more that it was built to be sung in English, whereas Mundu Eftir Mer clearly wasn't, and she made a stupid decision back then. I think going English could benefit her greatly this time.

SpZ
20th February 2016, 19:20
I dont mind it being in English this specific time. The lyrics are not bad (for example like never forget had) and it makes it easier for it to get stuck in your head.

John1
20th February 2016, 19:34
Except that Raddirnar sounds far more that it was built to be sung in English, whereas Mundu Eftir Mer clearly wasn't, and she made a stupid decision back then. I think going English could benefit her greatly this time.

The only asset for a song being in English is its ability to make understand a lot of more people about its lyrics/story than Icelandic (kinda ironical here...).
However, 'Raddirnar' lost its magical aspect here.

QwaarJet
20th February 2016, 19:38
The only asset for a song being in English is its ability to make understand a lot of more people about its lyrics/story than Icelandic (kinda ironical here...).
However, 'Raddirnar' lost its magical aspect here.

Well, obviously I disagree, as do many others.

I would also say that tonight's winner will either be Greta or Alda. Don't think any of the others have a shot.

John1
20th February 2016, 19:41
Well, obviously I disagree, as do many others.

I would also say that tonight's winner will either be Greta or Alda. Don't think any of the others have a shot.

You should focus your attention on 'Eye of the Storm' too...
Just sayin'

EDIT: or just keep your eyes on Karlotta... xbow

QwaarJet
20th February 2016, 19:57
You should focus your attention on 'Eye of the Storm' too...
Just sayin'

EDIT: or just keep your eyes on Karlotta... xbow

I know deep down you agree with me that Greta is the only option. :rolleyes:

John1
20th February 2016, 19:58
I know deep down you agree with me that Greta is the only option. :rolleyes:

From the dephts of my soul?
Really?
ARE YOU A CLEVER SOOTHSAYER? xshockxshock1

Johnny992
20th February 2016, 20:28
I see that Greta is big favourite in Iceland. She may have the best song in Iceland, but I dont see it doing very well in May. It is just an average song with Heroes-inspired stage performance!

hufus
20th February 2016, 21:59
Hullo lovers, here's hoping for a great show :)

QwaarJet
20th February 2016, 22:01
Let's go Greta!

hufus
20th February 2016, 22:03
Litil skref <3

This was my favourite heading in to Vienna. She didn't deserve to make the final, but I kind of wish she did so that she could've been redeemed.

Sochiara
20th February 2016, 22:04
Alright, the 3rd show for tonight :lol: Please win this Greta xcheer I want to have you back at Eurovision

whiteshoes
20th February 2016, 22:05
Greta promotion already at the beginning :mrgreen:

Romeo
20th February 2016, 22:12
They've gone all out this year in Iceland... getting everyone back

whiteshoes
20th February 2016, 22:15
I missed Ég á lif in that medley IOTAP

Probably Eythor Ingi ain't got time

John1
20th February 2016, 22:17
Well....
Hope that Iceland may be able to choose the best act in this small NF!

AshleyWright
20th February 2016, 22:18
oh, they've got the hosts back from last year.

whiteshoes
20th February 2016, 22:21
I think in the introduction video Greta just explained why she chose english version... I'd love to know her reasons. Shame on me that I can't understand Icelandic properly

Dante
20th February 2016, 22:22
This is the first time I watch a NF in Iceland, I hope it won't be also the last time.

John1
20th February 2016, 22:22
Why is her face so bright????
It's a bit better in English though.

hufus
20th February 2016, 22:24
Greta Salonme - Hear Them Calling: Still good in English, better in Icelandic (as is every stong pretty much). 8/10

Musicosity
20th February 2016, 22:25
Ok performance, but the song is nothing to write home about ... next please.

AshleyWright
20th February 2016, 22:25
I think in the introduction video Greta just explained why she chose english version... I'd love to know her reasons. Shame on me that I can't understand Icelandic properly

She said on facebook the song was originally written in English and had to be translated to Icelandic for the semi finals, and that she wanted it in English so people would understand the message of the song. Which imo is a very poor and overused excuse.

QwaarJet
20th February 2016, 22:26
Ok performance, but the song is nothing to write home about ... next please.

If you're expecting anything better than that tonight, you'll be sorely disappointed.

John1
20th February 2016, 22:26
Only the qualifiers from the first semi are quite good, even so I'm not lovin' this duet so much...

John1
20th February 2016, 22:27
If you're expecting anything better than that tonight, you'll be sorely disappointed.

You forgot about Karlotta's song again.
Bad boy. NONONONO

whiteshoes
20th February 2016, 22:27
I thought in one or two occasions Greta reacted little too late to the background effects xcrazy

All in all a very good performance. English still bothers me, especially the title line but I will get used to it. I love the insrtumental part and the super dramatical finish of the song xlove

Musicosity
20th February 2016, 22:28

Knowing the usual taste of Iceland I do not expect the next Mans. But they all deserve a fair chance to impress.

#2 already shows improvement. Solid song & performance. Not spectacular (it's Iceland!) but solid.

John1
20th February 2016, 22:31
Okay, I underestimated this duet, this is a lovely song.
Their voices perfectly fit together along with the melody, that's something I couldn't really explain, but that's impressive though.

QwaarJet
I thought in one or two occasions Greta reacted little too late to the background effects xcrazy

All in all a very good performance. English still bothers me, especially the title line but I will get used to it. I love the insrtumental part and the super dramatical finish of the song xlove

Yes, she was off in the first half of the motions. Hopefully no one will care/is too drunk to notice.

Lupus
I really love the false ending in Greta's song. It works really well!

lavieenrose
She said on facebook the song was originally written in English and had to be translated to Icelandic for the semi finals, and that she wanted it in English so people would understand the message of the song. Which imo is a very poor and overused excuse.

Agreed. If you can't perform the message of the song in your native language, you're not a good performer. But Greta is. She CAN communicate the message of the song in Icelandic. So the excuse is a load of crap.

John1
20th February 2016, 22:32
Time for the Queen of this frozen island, shhhhh! xbow

Matt
20th February 2016, 22:32
That was the best Opening EVER. So many Eurovision legends in one room.

I haven't listened to any of the songs yet but Iceland isn't usually my go-to country in Eurovision terms. Plus it always seems like they randomly select winners, the two songs moving on to the Super Final are always random.

AshleyWright
20th February 2016, 22:33
Agreed. If you can't perform the message of the song in your native language, you're not a good performer. But Greta is. She CAN communicate the message of the song in Icelandic. So the excuse is a load of crap.

Exactly. She can do it easily. Excuses like that annoy me so much. xfacepalm

hufus
20th February 2016, 22:33
I Promised You Then: I find this a bit dull in parts but quite sweet in others. Would probably have been a better fit a decade ago. 6/10

John1
20th February 2016, 22:35
Exactly. She can do it easily. Excuses like that annoy me so much. xfacepalm

This is the worst excuse ever with the worst reasons ever, as Elhaida Dani's producer/composer of 'Diell' told us last year.
A mix of shitty reasons which everyone shouldn't listen to..
'Oh excuse me, my cat ripped the lyrics off which were written on this paper, then we have to write another one.'

Nikkita
20th February 2016, 22:37

I disagree. Greta's song and performance resembles the country-ness and visuals of last year's winner, it would pass through the semifinal but it would stuck in final.

DaFlo
If Iceland decides to go non hip today, then pls go with Karlotta and revamp the song, it lacks a chorus tbh

But I know deep in their heart every Icelander wants to go hip today 8-)

RainyWoods
Is that schizophrenic song with the video game samples still competing? Just so I know whether to watch this or to go and cry in a corner somewhere for the evening. Thank you.

Lupus
'Oh excuse me, my cat tore apart the lyrics which were written on this paper, then we have to write another one.'

That would be the best shit excuse for changing the language EVER!!

On a side note, rather enjoying Eye of the Storm!

hufus
Eye of the Storm: Karlotta was my favourite heading in and this song survives the translation intact, but her vocals were underwhelming. Still going to put it on the same level as Greta cos it has greater potential to improve between now and May into something very cool. Would love this song sung by Greta tbh 8/10

John1
Karlotta's song was flawless and sparkling, this is the only decent choice (along with Greta's song) which Iceland should/could make tonight.

QwaarJet
20th February 2016, 22:38
Is that schizophrenic song with the video game samples still competing? Just so I know whether to watch this or to go and cry in the corner for the evening. Thank you.

Nope.

John1
20th February 2016, 22:38
Is that schizophrenic song with the video game samples still competing? Just so I know whether to watch this or to go and cry in a corner somewhere for the evening. Thank you.

No, this is offside

whiteshoes
20th February 2016, 22:39
The dress of Guđrún (the presenterwith the short hair) really looks weird. It's like she was in hurry and took a random top out of the wardrobe

RainyWoods
Nope.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_DqIg1Rk8YTY/TKlQNos3weI/AAAAAAAAADU/PflB8SVOxbM/s1600/man-weeping1.jpg

Thank you.

hufus

It's out SOOC

Matt
Greta's song is actually the strongest one so far. Eye of the storm feels incomplete, but it's not horrible.

whiteshoes

Thanks god the freak show was eliminated in Semi Final :lol:

toinou03
20th February 2016, 22:40

It's not... You can watch some Amanda Lear archive.

lavieenrose
20th February 2016, 22:40

Nope xcry1 xcry1 xcry1 xcry1

John1
20th February 2016, 22:41

Ahahahahahahhaa, you're so rude with her. :lol: xrofl

QwaarJet
20th February 2016, 22:42
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_DqIg1Rk8YTY/TKlQNos3weI/AAAAAAAAADU/PflB8SVOxbM/s1600/man-weeping1.jpg

Thank you.

I made RW cry...:oops:

RainyWoods
20th February 2016, 22:42
Thanks god the freak show was eliminated in Semi Final :lol:

I do beg your pardon ShoeFlo. Twas a work of fine art, not a freak show. Enjoy whatever dreadfully beige song is pickedxheart

Actually, now I want to watch the show, just so that I can throw shade at everything. I'm in a wonderfully foul mood.

EscGeek
20th February 2016, 22:43
wanna know what that song from ::md is?'

it's my favorite of the whole NF 2016 season!

"Irresistible" xcheer

John1
I do beg your pardon ShoeFlo. Twas a work of fine art, not a freak show. Enjoy whatever dreadfully beige song is pickedxheart

Actually, now I want to watch the show, just so that I can throw shade at everything. I'm in a wonderfully foul mood.

http://fb8eea8e6720e1a7cbf1-62bd5d1d72f968e074436330ad481e2a.r42.cf2.rackcdn.c om/945b90b84ca55fec3e1e77df770e7af4.gif

EscGeek
"Eye of the Storm" is pretty good too

Lupus
20th February 2016, 22:44
I always feel sorry for the people who end up on these shows when they don't speak the local language. It must get really frustrating not knowing what's going on!

RainyWoods
20th February 2016, 22:44

I watch Amanda Lear videos most nights though, and wanted to spend my time doing something different this evening.

http://www.amanda-lear-brief-encounters.com/photos-intro-amanda-lear/normal/100228023542-1-amanda-lear.png

VikingTiger
20th February 2016, 22:45
Karlotta has a very interesting voice, that I really like. But it should have been a bit stronger live. The song is good - her voice is good - but it needs more punch! Both vocally vice and as for the arrangement.

hufus
20th February 2016, 22:45
Iceland has better ads than Austria and Malta