PDA

View Full Version : Ireland IRELAND 2016 - Nicky Byrne - Sunlight

Pages : [1] 2

escYOUnited
2nd May 2015, 20:43
http://s27.postimg.org/fc7gxpfqb/IRELAND.png

ClassifiedCat
2nd May 2015, 21:49
Whatever happens, I hope that we will have a better national final than the Late Late show!

ClassifiedCat
4th May 2015, 21:10
This was the last winner of The Voice

R4s8brwa3gQ

Nice singer, bit like Guy Sebastian in a sense but not really like any contestant this year.

lavieenrose
4th May 2015, 23:54
Linda Martin singing "Odious Little Man!"

Gera11
5th May 2015, 21:49
Something in gaelic xpray

lavieenrose
6th May 2015, 02:09
Something in gaelic xpray

The upcoming hit "Fear Beag Fhuafar!" Victory #8 right there.

ClassifiedCat
19th May 2015, 03:14
Let's have a Genealogy-like group about the Easter Rising.

Africa - Cait O'Riordan
Americas - Selena Gomez
Asia - Japanese singer I cannot remember atm
Europe - Bjork
Ireland - Mary Byrne
Oceania - Lorde

EvanESCIreland
21st May 2015, 02:18
Since I'm near certain we won't qualify this year, I hope the currrent HoD is sacked and replaced by someone who actually knows how to stage a NF or pick a good act internally, like Queen Mairead Farrell xbow

My realistic picks would be:

Markus Feehily
Melanie McCabe
Ryan O' Shaughnessy
HomeTown
and of course the robbed goddess of Eurosong 2015: Erika Selin xheart

AshleyWright
21st May 2015, 02:34
and of course the robbed goddess of Eurosong 2015: Erika Selin xheart

xcry1xcry1xcry1 don't remind of that injustice.

DanielLuis
21st May 2015, 03:26
xcry1xcry1xcry1 don't remind of that injustice.

I like Molly Sterling's entry but Erika Selin really was great. I still listen to the song regularly!

ClassifiedCat
22nd May 2015, 03:59
Let us get rid of Eurosong on The Late Late Show! xcheer

paddyirl
24th May 2015, 04:35
Agree no more Late Late Show.

I'd love Samantha Mumba and maybe an R&B entry to try something different but can't see that ever happening.

ClassifiedCat
24th May 2015, 15:53
Agree no more Late Late Show.

I'd love Samantha Mumba and maybe an R&B entry to try something different but can't see that ever happening.
Here's a petition I made :D
https://www.change.org/p/rte-michael-kealy-change-the-national-selection-process-for-the-eurovision-song-contest

AshleyWright
24th May 2015, 16:00
Here's a petition I made :D
https://www.change.org/p/rte-michael-kealy-change-the-national-selection-process-for-the-eurovision-song-contest

Signed it for you. :D I'm not necessarily sure that a MF style event would work due to the quality of songs probably being really poor, and when other countries have replicated it, they have flopped. Greece only usually have 4 or 5 songs in a NF, and have done for decades, and until the past couple of years they have got amazing results.

ClassifiedCat
24th May 2015, 16:06
Signed it for you. :D I'm not necessarily sure that a MF style event would work due to the quality of songs probably being really poor, and when other countries have replicated it, they have flopped. Greece only usually have 4 or 5 songs in a NF, and have done for decades, and until the past couple of years they have got amazing results.
With the exception of 2012, at least Greece have it in a studio and is the only focus of the evening, whereas the Late Late Show has cheesy, tacky games on it after all the songs have performed in a cramped studio. Thanks for signing, please share it if you want, we need this to get the attention of our HoD and Michael Kealy. Our winning streak is at stake!

AshleyWright
24th May 2015, 16:08
With the exception of 2012, at least Greece have it in a studio and is the only focus of the evening, whereas the Late Late Show has cheesy, tacky games on it after all the songs have performed in a cramped studio. Thanks for signing, please share it if you want, we need this to get the attention of our HoD and Michael Kealy. Our winning streak is at stake!

Yes of course, I'm not saying the Late Late Show is fine as it is, because it's not I was just pointing a big selection is always what is needed. :D You've already got 29 signatures, but I will help and get a few friends to vote. :D

paddyirl
24th May 2015, 21:29
Signed the petition but dont hold much hope given how they've no creativity in RTE at all.

I also think one of the Eurosong finalists needs to be a song as Gaeilge just to have the option.

Sabrewulf238
25th May 2015, 14:33
DEATH TO THE LATE LATE SHOW EUROSONG FORMAT

Just want to be perfectly clear.

If they can afford a number of Voice of Ireland live shows (for a winner that nobody remembers like a day or two after it's over) they can afford one measly live show for a contest in which all of Europe is judging us.

bstream
25th May 2015, 16:34
Having a national selection in the corner of an already small studio in the dead of night and expecting anything close to the left hand side on the Grand Final is way beyond me.

paddyirl
25th May 2015, 18:00
Agree, surely they could just dedicate a studio in RTÉ to a live final. Use the Late Late studio but delete the Late Late element, have someone like Nicky Byrne or that Sinead Kennedy present and make it look like an actual national final and not some add on to a show that's core viewership is 50+.

BarefootBoogaloo
26th May 2015, 04:35
I apologize ahead if this has already been answered in another thread, but is there any particular reason why the Late Late show keeps getting used? Like, have they written some sort of exclusivity contract? From what I've read in this thread, the selection being on the show does no favors to it, so why is this still RTE's go-to method for the Irish selection? I was going to ask if it's more cost-effective, but if they're spending money (and studio space) to do The Voice, then clearly it's not a problem of money.

paddyirl
26th May 2015, 05:21
Its easy for RTÉ to shoehorn it onto the Late Late, they also likely think it adds something putting it on what they consider their main light entertainment show.

I also heard from someone who has links to RTÉ they don't think a national final like The Voice would generate much interest and there is no desire for that style of show. They'll also cite the You're a Star flops as a reason not to do it. They followed You're a Star with internal selection of artist allowing public choose the song this resulted in Brian Kennedy and Dervish.

The National Song Contest type format returned for Dustin but since then we've had various forms of bad Late Late Show's with tweaks to how the acts are decided but in some cases its a clear ready up as to who RTÉ want to win. I think the worst format was that stupid mentor system, where they had absolute nobodies like Mariead Farrell act as a mentor.

RTÉ is riddled with nepotism and cronyism and frankly there isn't a single show on the channel you could really say is creative or interesting. Creativity is not something that exists at RTÉ anymore hence the regular flop entries. Jedward were only successful thanks to the team of people they had behind them.

BarefootBoogaloo
26th May 2015, 05:44
Its easy for RTÉ to shoehorn it onto the Late Late, they also likely think it adds something putting it on what they consider their main light entertainment show.

I also heard from someone who has links to RTÉ they don't think a national final like The Voice would generate much interest and there is no desire for that style of show. They'll also cite the You're a Star flops as a reason not to do it. They followed You're a Star with internal selection of artist allowing public choose the song this resulted in Brian Kennedy and Dervish.

The National Song Contest type format returned for Dustin but since then we've had various forms of bad Late Late Show's with tweaks to how the acts are decided but in some cases its a clear ready up as to who RTÉ want to win. I think the worst format was that stupid mentor system, where they had absolute nobodies like Mariead Farrell act as a mentor.

RTÉ is riddled with nepotism and cronyism and frankly there isn't a single show on the channel you could really say is creative or interesting. Creativity is not something that exists at RTÉ anymore hence the regular flop entries. Jedward were only successful thanks to the team of people they had behind them.

Thanks for the answer, seems very messy indeed :/ Do you think they'd change any of this if TG4 gets a Top 5 at JESC??

paddyirl
27th May 2015, 03:15
I dunno but it will be interesting to see how TG4 handle JESC, I feel they'll likely be more committed to doing and I expect them to put quite a bit of effort into getting a good entry.

GWTW1939
28th May 2015, 22:12
Linda Martin singing "Odious Little Man!"

Considering their going to Sweden it would be perfect 8-)

"Odious Little Man" fits Bjorkman to a tee ;)

anto475
28th May 2015, 22:44
Considering their going to Sweden it would be perfect 8-)

"Odious Little Man" fits Bjorkman to a tee ;)

Tbh Linda Martin is probably the reason Bjorkman is so odious

anto475
28th May 2015, 22:45
Let's have a Genealogy-like group about the Easter Rising.

Africa - Cait O'Riordan
Americas - Selena Gomez
Asia - Japanese singer I cannot remember atm
Europe - Bjork
Ireland - Mary Byrne
Oceania - Lorde

Bjork is ours??

GWTW1939
28th May 2015, 22:47
Bjork is ours??

Well she is from Iceland after all ;)

ClassifiedCat
28th May 2015, 22:59
Bjork has Irish descent....

paddyirl
29th May 2015, 00:41
I'd rather Mariah Carey than Selena Gomez :D

One person I could see trying for it is Morgan Deane, given her messy divorce from her South African scummy husband and attempt to concentrate on music and her previous backing vocals for Jedward. I feel she could turn out like Kasey though.

Krishoes
30th May 2015, 03:49
Stop with Late Late Show selection. Definitely.

::ie is a country that can achieve a great result (why not a victory, again?) but they need a good act.

Newcomers are good for other countries, I want something big for them. Stop with randomness (don't meant to offend the acts but for me 2013-2014-2015 screamed AMATEUR, although I like the first two).

Mimoliin
30th May 2015, 20:26
I have two suggestions that'll have me spend a fortune on votes for Ireland:

- Boyzone with Mika (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9E4hlxD13E) in the Stephen Gately vocal niche. Swooooon!
- Colin O'Donoghue with a guitar (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQtQvpgzJiA). Simple as that. Double swoooooon!

I realize my dreams won't ever come true, but just imagine... oh em geeee.

Rayman
11th June 2015, 17:08
I would LOOOOVE to see Captain Hook......I mean Colin at ESC. I didn't know he could sing so well.

A pious wish for Ireland: The Script. I am loving more and more this band.

YF98
11th June 2015, 17:50
Hi everyone, new member here :)

Well, I must agree that the Eurosong format is not getting us anywhere, at least in the last 4 years. 2011 was really the exception, where we got an 8th place.. I don't disagree with the Late Late Show but at least a change in the way we select our entries may be the right thing to do?

I personally would love an Irish language song, but no singer applies for it now.. and rather it's more popular to sing in English these days. But I still have hope.

Yazy
2nd July 2015, 17:06
This song is on my repeat button for few last days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTWZlI6eqTc

ClassifiedCat
2nd July 2015, 19:06
This song is on my repeat button for few last days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTWZlI6eqTc
It's eargasmic <3

Yazy
2nd July 2015, 21:04
It's eargasmic <3

Maybe a time for internal selection instead? (if he accepts an offer of course).

ClassifiedCat
2nd July 2015, 21:07
Maybe a time for internal selection instead? (if he accepts an offer of course).
I doubt that A) We would do an internal selection and B) Markus would actually want to represent us.

Romeo
9th August 2015, 20:22
Nothing to do with 2016 at all but I have just been sitting there watching the post-match talks an stuff from the liverpool game and I got a song stuck in my head and it took about 10 mins to realise what it was and how much I used to love this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj5udif7Wso

anto475
9th August 2015, 22:32
Having had customers walk in on me while I was belting out Rise Like A Phoenix and Mizerja to myself in work today, and neither of them laughing, I can formally announce that I will be representing Ireland in Stockholm

muc
12th September 2015, 15:35
I wish we could send this song. I can't see them agreeing to represent us unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t8a0Mx9Y2o

EDC0708
20th September 2015, 16:07
Joseph McCaul (Ireland 2005) was shown auditioning for The X Factor UK last night!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIDUUIxEu_k

I thought "Love?" was a pretty good song, and probably should have qualified

muc
27th October 2015, 00:11
I wonder will Liir try to represent us again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFio2h1QQ5w

Romeo
7th November 2015, 18:43
Ireland are reviewing their performance over recent years before deciding how to go about selecting a song for 2016

http://www.escunited.com/home/ireland-new-plans-for-ireland/

Matt
7th November 2015, 22:49
So that means Late Late Show in the end, right? Isn't that what they're always saying?

Cyberbliss
13th November 2015, 19:47
Well... did you know they're back? So to say... just in case...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zt5E-ue-MA

muc
14th November 2015, 23:19
It won't happen but the Corrs would be amazing.

kamc
30th November 2015, 04:52
The Corrs would be amazing.
They are at that point of their careers too where a bad Eurovision result wouldn't "harm" them at all.

aef
12th December 2015, 20:37
Maybe Ryan Dolan is going for a second try? I coincidentally found this on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6sYnwfsT4

It's already less than 3 minutes long... :o

GianlucaTomoe
12th December 2015, 22:35
Maybe Ryan Dolan is going for a second try? I coincidentally found this on Youtube:

No, thank you. Just... no.

Odalis
13th December 2015, 08:27

Oh, that is sooo much better than anythinhg he's done before, i'd be happy to hear that song in ESC xqueenbitch

Cyberbliss
13th December 2015, 08:56

x0s x0s x0s

PamSwynford
13th December 2015, 13:24
I remember he was rumoured for the 2015 preselection but he didn't made the final cut, so probably that's the song he sended to RTÉ.

Sammy
13th December 2015, 16:28
It would be great to see ryan again. The song is quite good.

kamc
13th December 2015, 20:09
Hmmm no thanks. Austrlaia did that style of song so much better this year so no point in sending a poor imitation. Besides, the songs for the national final never leak beforehand so I doubt that is one of them.

Uvaro
7th January 2016, 10:27
the irish independent is saying that they've scrapped the national final and picked nicky byrne from westlife. :lol:

muc
7th January 2016, 11:47
Please just be a rumour. I don't think I could handle Nicky Byrne being our representative.

QwaarJet
7th January 2016, 12:42
Please just be a rumour. I don't think I could handle Nicky Byrne being our representative.

It seems to be more than just a rumour. Many are saying 90% certainty.

GRE
7th January 2016, 12:47

Well, you did have Jedward (twice).
Not to mention Dustin the turkey.
So, I don't think it will be that bad. :confused:

lowyby
7th January 2016, 13:19
That Nicky would be your best artist since 2006 at least

Schlagerman1
7th January 2016, 13:21
I still think Jedward was a perfect choice in 2011, and is still the best act Ireland sent in Eurovision during the 2000s.
About Nicky Byrne, I am afraid that it would be a rather boring choice and he would still need a great song to qualify. :/

RomanFromRussia
7th January 2016, 15:28
Nicky would be more preferable choice than Jedward, as for me. At least we may have hopes for good live performance.

Sammy
7th January 2016, 15:45
Nicky would be a fantastic choice!!! xheat
I hope the rumors are true!xpray

GRE
7th January 2016, 16:33
If it's true,
Ireland will be the 4th country this year to send a big name (after ::ru::mk::sl)

kamc
7th January 2016, 17:36
I don't think we'd be cruel enough to inflict Nicky Byrne on Europe

Sammy
7th January 2016, 18:04
I don't think we'd be cruel enough to inflict Nicky Byrne on Europe

Do you say this because you think he's a bad singer or because you don't like him as a person?

QwaarJet
7th January 2016, 18:30
If it's true,
Ireland will be the 4th country this year to send a big name (after ::ru::mk::sl)

Wasn't aware Slovenia have selected someone yet.

Sammy
7th January 2016, 18:32
Wasn't aware Slovenia have selected someone yet.

Me neither

GRE
7th January 2016, 19:49
Well, there is a big favorite there.

Romeo
7th January 2016, 22:04
So Ireland could change their approach and get Nicky Byrne...
UK change their approach and get Irish rejects Jedward...

Sim
7th January 2016, 22:10
So Ireland could change their approach and get Nicky Byrne...
UK change their approach and get Irish rejects Jedward...

haha :D

kamc
8th January 2016, 00:00
Do you say this because you think he's a bad singer or because you don't like him as a person?

I think he is a bad singer and not a very charismatic person.
He is also employed as a tv presenter by RTE so it looks bad for them to hand him the Eurovision gig.

anto475
8th January 2016, 01:58
He's just not a good singer. As Westlife singers go he's probably one of the nicest. The only personality thing that I can hold against him is that his father in law played a large role in ruining the country both socially and economically. But I digress, he can't sing, that's the worst part.

theCONWEL
8th January 2016, 02:41
SAMANTHA MUMBAAAAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQMV1iQ-Xsc

ft Jamelia would be the hottest thing in the UNIVERSE

anto475
9th January 2016, 02:16
Honestly I don't understand why RTÉ haven't approached Samantha Mumba yet?? She's the perfect choice!! She's professional enough for us to do well and in need of publicity enough to go for it!

theCONWEL
9th January 2016, 05:29
Honestly I don't understand why RTÉ haven't approached Samantha Mumba yet?? She's the perfect choice!! She's professional enough for us to do well and in need of publicity enough to go for it!

PL[US SHES AWESOME did i forget to mention?? RainyWoods loves her too so thats the seal of approval xfaint

ClassifiedCat
9th January 2016, 15:45
SAMANTHA MUMBAAAAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQMV1iQ-Xsc

ft Jamelia would be the hottest thing in the UNIVERSE
the most amazing thing is, is that she's releasing an ep in 2016 xheat

Mickey
9th January 2016, 15:55
If Ireland go internal, can we at least get a Late Late special for the song reveal? I need my annual fix of arguments, Eurovision mastermind and endless Johnny Logan singalongs.

John1
9th January 2016, 16:03
It'd be fine if Ireland could give up Late Late as their selection process... That's ridiculous how Irish people can believe in a eight victory with only 5 artists which are not so different => music style, how they look like...

Schlagerman1
10th January 2016, 04:02
But if it were no Late Late, then Linda Martin wouldn't get her annual 5 seconds in the spotlight...

http://entertainment.ie/images_content/linda%20odious.gif

QwaarJet
13th January 2016, 09:36
Thread updated. Vote away!

lowyby
13th January 2016, 09:39
in b4 Gianluca rages :P
Decent song!

QwaarJet
13th January 2016, 09:40
In a shocking turn of events, it's pretty bloody good. Well played, Ireland.

sigi
13th January 2016, 10:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Pbnb7Y6AU

RainyWoods
13th January 2016, 10:32
I don't hand out 0's lightly. That one listen i've just had is enough to last me from now until May. A tedious, tired piece of pop that does absolutely everything to rub me up the wrong way. I feel like i've heard this exact song countless times before over the years. He'll do well most likely but this one for sure will go onto my "must avoid at all costs" list. Ireland has found my kryptonite.

ZoboCamel
13th January 2016, 10:38
Eh... very middle-of-the-road. I'll take some time to make a real decision as I usually do, but for now it seems like the usual safe, inoffensive Irish Eurovision fare that'll float somewhere between non-qualification and a low spot in the finals. I think it deserves a 5 for now.

Schlagerman1
13th January 2016, 11:24
Not bad, actually it is a pretty good song. Catchy. Quite good melody. But also quite middle-of-the-road as people said. I think this can qualify, but this ain't something that makes me either angry or happy about qualifying. Just...good, but not even close to my faves. Usually I hate middle-of-the-road-songs, but this is well-made so I can't hate it.

This song gave me a weird feeling, we'll see if my mind changes about it later. :lol:

QwaarJet
13th January 2016, 11:25
I don't hand out 0's lightly. That one listen i've just had is enough to last me from now until May. A tedious, tired piece of pop that does absolutely everything to rub me up the wrong way. I feel like i've heard this exact song countless times before over the years. He'll do well most likely but this one for sure will go onto my "must avoid at all costs" list. Ireland has found my kryptonite.

Your reaction is a shameful display sir. You will be dealt with accordingly. :twisted:

PamSwynford
13th January 2016, 11:48
It's a typical Westlife-song. I'm curious how will he deliver the live performance since we wasn't the best singer in Westlife (#MarcFeehilyandShaneFilansnatchedhigwig)

revallsay
13th January 2016, 11:52
I really like the verses, but the refrain is a let down. Though, it is a song I could enjoy. It will qualify for sure and may even end up in TOP10. I can see Europe and Australia voting for it :)

anselm
13th January 2016, 11:59
Eww.

GianlucaTomoe
13th January 2016, 12:12
Cliché pop song tailored for the ESC-fans... it doesn't and it won't stand out at all

MrJadeEwen
13th January 2016, 12:18
Well, Ireland have definitely tried this year, congrats for not going down the "late late show" route

This sounds like every other Westlife song. Yet that's always been so sucessful for Westlife, hopefully it works for Nicky as well. If this was sung by a non-westlife artist I'd write it off. This is definitely going to be a dark horse this year. How many Westlife fans still exist? We'll find out in May.

Chorizo
13th January 2016, 12:19
It's an okay pop song but it doesn't stand out. I give it 6 points for now.

tuorem
13th January 2016, 12:24
Are we heading towards a breaking record of male singers this year? :lol:

nekoisneko
13th January 2016, 12:36
when I read the title, this thing pops up in my head :'> :'> :'>

http://www.sunlight.co.id/Images/2598/2598-779507-Product_doublepower_bottle_280x540.png

Krishoes
13th January 2016, 12:39
Are we heading towards a breaking record of male singers this year? :lol:

I bet someone here on the forum is already fainting :rolleyes:

GianlucaTomoe
13th January 2016, 12:42
I bet someone here on the forum is already fainting :rolleyes:

If you're talking about me, I can assure you I'm incredibly calm and relaxed ;) Last year I was the only one to predict the flops of people like Kajmakoski or Uzari... while all the other fans were whining... this year we'll see how many of these "incredibly talented male singers" selected so far will make it to the final!

Krishoes
13th January 2016, 13:08
Last year I was the only one to predict the flops of people like Kajmakoski or Uzari... while all the other fans were whining... this year we'll see how many of these "incredibly talented male singers" selected so far will make it to the final!

I didn't like Uzari's song and I've found Kajmakoski's performance a real mess! You weren't the only one to predict those clear flops :? :? :?

And actually I don't like this Irish song :mrgreen: But if Ryan Dolan reached the final, Nicky could make it.

MyHeartIsYours
13th January 2016, 13:09
SO excited about this! Love Nicky, and the song is totally up my street, it's brilliant. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up as my favourite of 2016 - Dublin 2017!!! :D ::ie

Yazy
13th January 2016, 13:10
This song reminds me on something that I would hear playing in the background for mobile phone commercials or some special packages that are involved.

I would probably like this 5 years back when I was crazy for pop tunes like these, but now I don´t have much of an opinion about this.

GianlucaTomoe
13th January 2016, 13:10
I didn't like Uzari's song and I've found Kajmakoski's performance a real mess! You weren't the only one to predict those clear flops :? :? :?

And actually I don't like this Irish song :mrgreen: But if Ryan Dolan reached the final, Nicky could make it.

"Only love survives" is one of the worst ESC-songs ever.... after 3 years I still don't understand how it could qualify to the final.

Krishoes
13th January 2016, 13:12
"Only love survives" is one of the worst ESC-songs ever.... after 3 years I still don't understand how it could qualify to the final.

Err... yeah, I can't describe his song as an ESC-"masterpiece"... :rolleyes:

However, if Donny Montell will represent Lithuania we'll have two similar songs. Who will survive?

ZoboCamel
13th January 2016, 13:18
Cliché pop song tailored for the ESC-fans... it doesn't and it won't stand out at all
Really? It doesn't seem all that ESC-tailored to me. If anything, this feels much more like a push to get the mainstream, non-ESC-fan audience by sending generic, harmless pop. I'm not saying that this kind of song is entirely hated by the contest's fandom, but it's also not the kind of thing we tend to love (as shown by the mixed reactions in this thread).

If you're talking about me, I can assure you I'm incredibly calm and relaxed ;) Last year I was the only one to predict the flops of people like Kajmakoski or Uzari... while all the other fans were whining... this year we'll see how many of these "incredibly talented male singers" selected so far will make it to the final!
Are you remembering the same predictions as I am? I was a big supporter of Daniel with Lisja Esenski, which I continue to love, and even then I wasn't sure about his qualification chances due to the lukewarm response from everyone else... then when the revamp came I sat pretty firmly in the 'won't qualify' camp. As for Uzari, I remember most people seeing him as a kiiiinda likely qualifier until they revealed the lifeless staging, at which point he was largely written off as a qualifier. I don't think predicting either of those NQs was exactly prophetic.

QwaarJet
13th January 2016, 13:21
SO excited about this! Love Nicky, and the song is totally up my street, it's brilliant. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up as my favourite of 2016 - Dublin 2017!!! :D ::ie

This can't be...I agree with MHIY. Well, except it's not winning, but it'll do better than some here think.

MyHeartIsYours
13th January 2016, 13:23
Really? It doesn't seem all that ESC-tailored to me. If anything, this feels much more like a push to get the mainstream, non-ESC-fan audience by sending generic, harmless pop. I'm not saying that this kind of song is entirely hated by the contest's fandom, but it's also not the kind of thing we tend to love (as shown by the mixed reactions in this thread).
I agree, to me the song seems more like something you'd hear in the charts than at Eurovision.

And I can't believe that people aren't more excited about the fact it's Nicky Byrne from WESTLIFE?! :lol:

aef
13th January 2016, 13:27
However, if Donny Montell will represent Lithuania we'll have two similar songs. Who will survive?

Btw is there a connection between ::ie and ::lt I don't get? ::ie gave ::lt 10 points in 2011, 7 points in 2012, 1 point in 2012 and 7 points in 2015! This looks quite strange to me?!

QwaarJet
13th January 2016, 13:34
I agree, to me the song seems more like something you'd hear in the charts than at Eurovision.

And I can't believe that people aren't more excited about the fact it's Nicky Byrne from WESTLIFE?! :lol:

I actually hated Westlife and wasn't particularly excited when I heard it was probably him. But this song is so catchy, and the chorus is superb. I agree also that this isn't a "Eurovision" song. The reaction here demonstrates that. Most people here don't like it. Go on twitter and facebook? Different story. This is one the casuals will love.

Gera11
13th January 2016, 13:42
Well I guess Ireland tried :lol: It's a nice song, but I'm not exactly impressed. 7 points :D

Chorizo
13th January 2016, 13:45

I think it sounds like something that can actually be played on the radio, which cannot be said about many typical Eurovision songs, but it doesn't sound like something that could top the charts.

Scooby
13th January 2016, 13:47
Finally one great entry for Ireland. This is the only Irish entry in last ten years I really really like. Good job RTE

MyHeartIsYours
13th January 2016, 13:50
I think it sounds like something that can actually be played on the radio, which cannot be said about many typical Eurovision songs, but it doesn't sound like something that could top the charts.
Well this song is actually far better than like 90% of the rubbish in the charts nowadays lol.

But yeah radio is what I meant to say :p

Nicfedy
13th January 2016, 13:59
for some reason when I saw the name I was expecting a female singer. Oh well it's not bad , I agree with the last post. It doesn't stand out but it's not awful. Needs a a good original presentation to make any impact.

toinou03
13th January 2016, 14:01
This is a nice song, but it's really really bland. 3 minutes of generic old pop that will be forbidden 2 songs later... I'm disappointed...

Krishoes
13th January 2016, 14:02

Westlife here in Italy were just known, but actually not really successful compared to other bands/boy bands. Only two of their albums entered our album chart: "Coast to coast" at #50 and "World of our own" at #68.

They had only one top 10 hit, their cover of "Uptown girl", that reached the #10 (other charted songs: #23 I lay my love on you, #28 Queen of my heart, #29 Love, #41 World of our own, #45 Bop Bop Baby).

WhoKnows
13th January 2016, 14:05
How is he live? This is really good - current and catchy. Best Irish entry in a LONG time. Best of luck.

John1
13th January 2016, 14:09
If this wouldn't end up in a top 10, Ireland in ESC would be really robbed !

QwaarJet
13th January 2016, 14:10
for some reason when I saw the name I was expecting a female singer. Oh well it's not bad , I agree with the last post. It doesn't stand out but it's not awful. Needs a a good original presentation to make any impact.

So you had no idea who Nicky Byrne was?

Cyberbliss
13th January 2016, 14:23
Well, finally! This will grow on you. It's perfect for the stage, it fits ESC really well.

I'm getting quite tired of all the people saying "it's just pop". I don't really understand what do you expect... this is 100% well crafted pop, it's not trashy pop, if you want a contest with 40 complex music masterpieces switch to another channel (if you find it). It's ending up with you whistling this song in the shower, despite all the critics.

toinou03
13th January 2016, 14:39
Westlife here in Italy were just known, but actually not really successful compared to other bands/boy bands. Only two of their albums entered our album chart: "Coast to coast" at #50 and "World of our own" at #68.

They had only one top 10 hit, their cover of "Uptown girl", that reached the #10 (other charted songs: #23 I lay my love on you, #28 Queen of my heart, #29 Love, #41 World of our own, #45 Bop Bop Baby).

Yeah, in France they are not far for being completely unknown. They had only one hit with Uptown girl as well. That's the only thing I knew from them, I'm even actually surprised to discover that they are Irish xrofl3

John1
13th January 2016, 14:43
This is a nice song, but it's really really bland. 3 minutes of generic old pop that will be forbidden 2 songs later... I'm disappointed...

forbidden ? :lol:
did you mean forgotten ? :P

Alevender
13th January 2016, 14:48
Btw is there a connection between ::ie and ::lt I don't get? ::ie gave ::lt 10 points in 2011, 7 points in 2012, 1 point in 2012 and 7 points in 2015! This looks quite strange to me?!

I guess it is because thousands of latvians and lithuanians are living in Ireland.

JamieBrown
13th January 2016, 14:53
One minute is enough to know everything about that entry. Not really bad, neither good. Actually this is full of all the clichés of this genre, especially looking at the lyrics.

theCONWEL
13th January 2016, 14:53
I really really like it! :D really catchy and a powerful chorus xwoo

I absolutely love the tone he has to his voice, so I just hope he can deliver live.

Alevender
13th January 2016, 14:54
Well, the song is not bad. I like it and I hope that it will reach the grand final.

Lietuvis
13th January 2016, 14:56

Tons of Lithuanians in Ireland.

Lietuvis
13th January 2016, 14:58
Regarding this years Irish entry, I kinda like the song, but I think it has some dynamics problems. There just doesn't seem to be a climax. The whole song is at the same level.

popavapeur
13th January 2016, 15:08
Not a winner but still a great song, Final for sure for Ireland.

Yoozek
13th January 2016, 15:10
IN THE SUUUUN............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....LIGHT!

Nikkita
13th January 2016, 15:17
Good but predictable. At least it's uptempo, a great start :lol:

muc
13th January 2016, 15:18
More or less the sort of song I was expecting. It will probably get a good score if he can deliver a good performance. I just wish we had been able to get a different Westlife member because Nicky isn't great at singing.

Nicfedy
13th January 2016, 15:22
So you had no idea who Nicky Byrne was?
Well no and I still don't. I've heard of Westlife but kind of switched my ears off if they came on the radio.

realist
13th January 2016, 15:55
The song itself is not bad, but to be honest.. No time for Ireland to win esc 2016 yet...
I really wanted to Ireland or UK to win ESC2016...

Johnny992
13th January 2016, 16:10
Well done, Ireland! Great song :)

hugh
13th January 2016, 16:17
Perfect background music, generic, bland, safe and Nicky Byrne has ZERO charisma. Don't like this song one bit. I want to support Ireland but they're almost as bad as the UK at their Eurovision entries now.

Johnny992
13th January 2016, 16:22
Perfect background music, generic, bland, safe and Nicky Byrne has ZERO charisma. Don't like this song one bit. I want to support Ireland but they're almost as bad as the UK at their Eurovision entries now.

Honey, Irish songs are masterpieces for the UK ones........ :)

QwaarJet
13th January 2016, 16:26

Agreed. Ireland have had some stinkers, but UK is almost constantly bad. It'll take several good songs to make up just for Electro Velvet alone. Ireland are still apologizing for inflicting Jedward though.

hugh
13th January 2016, 16:30

:D So true, I've cringed too many times at the UK entries in recent years. I just hope the BBC give me a break this year.

GRE
13th January 2016, 16:32
This esc season didn't start well for me.
0/2 up to now, and i don't like the belarussian songs and most of Finland's also.

aef
13th January 2016, 16:40

Really?? Why are there so much Lithuanians in Ireland? :confused:

After a few listenings, I really like Nicky's song! I think it's a good sign that he seems to focus on a proper staging and a good promotion...

ZoboCamel
13th January 2016, 16:43
Well, finally! This will grow on you. It's perfect for the stage, it fits ESC really well.

I'm getting quite tired of all the people saying "it's just pop". I don't really understand what do you expect... this is 100% well crafted pop, it's not trashy pop, if you want a contest with 40 complex music masterpieces switch to another channel (if you find it). It's ending up with you whistling this song in the shower, despite all the critics.

I don't think anybody is asking for 40 complex musical masterpieces - just songs that make some vague effort to distinguish themselves and be memorable. Yes, Sunlight aims to be a by-the-book pop song, and it ticks all the necessary boxes to do that, but we shouldn't have to heap praise upon it for reaching such a lazy goal. It'd be like an athlete confidently assuring the crowd 'I can clear a metre in the high jump!', succeeding to do so, and then looking smugly around for praise just because they've done something any other person could do. Similarly, Sunlight does manage to be a functional pop song, but when the only successes it's got to its name are 'get a semi-famous, good-looking guy' and 'have him sing a predictable, repetitive, by-the-numbers pop song', I'm not exactly wowed.

Again, I'm not asking for masterpieces here - I love myself some trash, some schlager, some terribly-pronounced Belarusian power pop - but I just like my music to be able to distinguish itself from the pack in some way. This feels like it's been churned out from a mass production line of some factory, and so there's no individual soul, for better or worse, for me to cling onto and enjoy. It starts, it sounds nice enough, it ends, and then it falls into the void of a thousand similar songs in my memory.

Maybe I'm sounding a bit harsh here, but don't get me wrong - it's not like I loathe this song. It's serviceable, vaguely enjoyable, and so on and so forth. I won't be mad if it qualifies to the final, I bear it no ill will, and I may end up liking it a bit more with time (I do already enjoy the verses, I suppose - my issue is mostly with the chorus). All I'm saying, really, is that nobody should be obligated to like it just because it fulfils its purpose - it may be '100% well crafted', but when you're only aiming for a 5/10 to begin with, 100% of your goal is still a 5/10. It's there, it works, and I can completely understand how people like it, but I think you're going a bit too far if you're looking to silence the critics; by no means is this such a masterpiece that we should have to shroud it from complaints.

EscGeek
13th January 2016, 16:46
so far ::al is better,but i like both

kamc
13th January 2016, 16:53
Same old generic crap from us.....very disappointed in RTE's lazy decision to pick Nicky.

aef
13th January 2016, 16:58
Same old generic crap from us.....very disappointed in RTE's lazy decision to pick Nicky.

What did you expect after all the crap you have sent in the last years? Getting a masterpiece from RTE? :rolleyes: Step by step is the device - Nicky's song is a decent song and he's a well-known artist so you'll at least get a better result than in 2015 or 2014...

AshleyWright
13th January 2016, 17:02
I do like it a bit on first listen, but tbh it's quite generic and bland and if this turns into an uptempo year then I can see this sinking like the titanic at Eurovision.

kamc
13th January 2016, 17:04
What did you expect after all the crap you have sent in the last years? Getting a masterpiece from RTE? :rolleyes: Step by step is the device - Nicky's song is a decent song and he's a well-known artist so you'll at least get a better result than 2015 or 2014...

Well Heartbeat and Only Love Survives were both "masterpieces" compared to Nicky's rubbish song:oops:

aef
13th January 2016, 17:06
Well Heartbeat and Only Love Survives were both "masterpieces" compared to Nicky's rubbish song:oops:

Haha, not at all in my opinion... xhand

kamc
13th January 2016, 17:17
Haha, not at all in my opinion... xhand

haha, well we have our opinions NONO

blein
13th January 2016, 17:20
6p from me. Don't like it and dont hate it , mby in future it will grow on me... +it's radio friendly song.

VikingTiger
13th January 2016, 17:21
I am not the first to write it; This sounds very generic; nothing original here. Sounds like something I have heard a million times before. This is not good enough for me. I do like pop music, but to catch my ears there has to be something in it that appeals to me; it might be the melody (as is most often the case with light pop music), it might be the singers voice or it might be an interesting arrangement. I am afraid Sunlight has neither of these.
There is a reason why pop music does well in the charts; it's easy accessible to a large number of people. I do not thing Sunlight will have the mass appeal needed to make it to the european charts. And I do not think it will have the power to stand out in the ESC.

Smudy
13th January 2016, 17:45
Seriously, Ireland?

cassio
13th January 2016, 17:46
Ok once again we are confirmed ......... a famous artist is not enough to win, we need a catchy song too!! Ireland I'm nice 6 points

John1
13th January 2016, 17:50
How can you like Ireland less than Albania ? My god !!!

Sabrewulf238
13th January 2016, 18:22
So I just realized we've already confirmed our song. Where did that come from? I'm disappointed we won't have a national final to watch. :(

I just listened to the song, it's really dull. I don't think we deserve to qualify with that.

Kairit
13th January 2016, 18:30
Meh... Nothing special in this song and the production is very average. :? The lyrics are uninspired and the melody is annoying. But I can deal with this one, sort of, it's not bad at all in that sense and it creates some sort of mood and feeling, which I can appreciate. But I don't know what they're hoping for when they pick songs like this. Just another song in the ocean of songs. Nothing intriguing. It's not even particularly a final song. I don't think they'll make it for another year. :/

Cyberbliss
13th January 2016, 18:52
All I'm saying, really, is that nobody should be obligated to like it just because it fulfils its purpose - it may be '100% well crafted', but when you're only aiming for a 5/10 to begin with, 100% of your goal is still a 5/10. It's there, it works, and I can completely understand how people like it, but I think you're going a bit too far if you're looking to silence the critics; by no means is this such a masterpiece that we should have to shroud it from complaints.

I'm not silencing all critics :) I'm silencing the "ABSOLUTELY NOT" critics. I'm not into integralisms of all sorts and one can agree 100% with your analysis. It makes me sad the equation POP=the Devil. That wouldn't be ESC. This song is far from being a masterpiece, but it's enjoyable! Could have Ireland done better than this? Of course! But it's not that disaster some have already wrote, I mean this

Rayman
13th January 2016, 18:55
I voted 7.
It's quite efficient and pleasant to listen to. It's the kind of song that will get its fans while other people would find it a bit bland. For Ireland, everything is possible in Stockholm.

AuroraBorealis
13th January 2016, 18:55
It's really catchy omg :D

I can't tell if I prefer it to Albania's song or not though

lavieenrose
13th January 2016, 19:02
IOTAP IOTAP IOTAP IOTAP
This is an unoriginal, uninteresting, and perhaps most damagingly, uncomfortable piece of music. The lyrics carry an air of pretension to them as though each one is an earth shattering observation, and the production is clunky and underdone. To add to that, god, Nicky Byrne has an annoying voice. It's bland as all get out and doesn't draw me into the song or what he's feeling at all.
"But it's a well crafted pop song! You're just biased against catchy pop music."
But it's not, and I'm not. It lacks any of the clean production or catchiness that great pop music has. I can't drive down the highway and sing along to this with my friends. I can't even say "ugh, I hate this" then drive down the highway and sing along to this with my friends like I could with "Call Me Maybe" a couple years back. It's inexcusable and irredeemable.

Yazy
13th January 2016, 19:04
Albania or Ireland?

So far, I´m not a fan of either of those two.

Albania sounds like something that I would prefer more, but the chorus sounds repetitive.
Irish song has kinda promising build up, but the chorus is a letdown as well.

I really can´t rank these two songs because they are completely tied for me. I´m gonna wait for more entries first.

QwaarJet
13th January 2016, 19:05
The lyrics are terrible, but does anyone really give a flying fudgecake about lyrics in Eurovision songs?

Carrie
13th January 2016, 19:07
Amazing entry from ::ie xbow

lavieenrose
13th January 2016, 19:07
The lyrics are terrible, but does anyone really give a flying fudgecake about lyrics in Eurovision songs?

Not usually, but I do when they're trying to convince me that they're the best lyrics ever written.

Yazy
13th January 2016, 19:20

Well, if it is in a language that I don´t understand, I usually ignore, because words usually flow well with the rhythm.

But, with English (that pretty much everyone here understands), its a bit different case.

QwaarJet
13th January 2016, 19:21
Not usually, but I do when they're trying to convince me that they're the best lyrics ever written.

Are you telling me "Come turn me inside out, upside down, I'll be your lover boy" aren't the best lyrics ever? Robert Burns couldn't have written shit this good.

John1
13th January 2016, 19:27
Amazing entry from ::ie xbow

Finally s.o who understands the quality of this song. xheya

Lupus
13th January 2016, 19:28
OK, just heard this for the first time and I have to say I am struggling to see where all the hate has come from! It's not the best thing I've ever heard and I doubt it would make my top ten for the year, but it's nice enough!

Anthony Tesla
13th January 2016, 19:37
Cute, catchy, but maybe too generic. This is the kind of song that will be sold (The Netherlands 2014) or not (France 2011) according to the staging and live performance.

7/12

Cyberbliss
13th January 2016, 19:40
"But it's a well crafted pop song! You're just biased against catchy pop music."
But it's not, and I'm not. It lacks any of the clean production or catchiness that great pop music has. I can't drive down the highway and sing along to this with my friends. I can't even say "ugh, I hate this" then drive down the highway and sing along to this with my friends like I could with "Call Me Maybe" a couple years back. It's inexcusable and irredeemable.

xwave1 There's no need to be angry! I myself had the same reaction last year with "Goodbye to Yesterday" and it all ended up with it being one of my favourite ESC songs ever (not to compare with this entry, though: I'm just talking about how first reactions are sometimes unmistakably wrong). I don't find it badly produced. It's just bland, ok. Won't go very far. Who knows, maybe in a week the hype will be already over, it won't last until May.

And, given the fact that you mentioned it, "Call me maybe" is imo the most disturbing pop song of all times. So... anyone of us is writing the laws, don't get mad at it :rolleyes:

Cyberbliss
13th January 2016, 19:44
Are you telling me "Come turn me inside out, upside down, I'll be your lover boy" aren't the best lyrics ever? Robert Burns couldn't have written shit this good.

The song has a true meaning, if you listen to it backwards :lol: ok, let's say it. The song is catchy, the lyrics are embarassing.

John1
13th January 2016, 19:48
Why is everyone hating this song ?

lavieenrose
13th January 2016, 19:52
Why is everyone hating this song ?

Not everyone. It's really kind of just me, and I'm loud.

Cathairawr
13th January 2016, 19:56
Whatever the opinion of the song, Kudos to RTÉ for actually giving a try.

I like the song, it's a nice bop and feel good song. That being said, I'm worried in case he does a Ryan Dolan and can't hit the high notes. If he hits them well, with good staging, I will be happy. Best since 2011, I feel.

I give it an 8. It's good but I am sure it won't be the best of 2016.

John1
13th January 2016, 19:59
Not everyone. It's really kind of just me, and I'm loud.

That's not the point, it's really made on not viable arguments...

Lietuvis
13th January 2016, 20:04
Really?? Why are there so much Lithuanians in Ireland? :confused:

After a few listenings, I really like Nicky's song! I think it's a good sign that he seems to focus on a proper staging and a good promotion...

Lots of people (hundreds of thousands) emmigrated to Ireland searching for (better) jobs.

Dante
13th January 2016, 20:06
Well this song is actually far better than like 90% of the rubbish in the charts nowadays lol.

But yeah radio is what I meant to say :p

I can't believe I'm saying this, but no, I don't think it is. Better than 50%, best scenario.

Oh, and by the way, regarding Albania vs. Ireland, I don't think there is a big gap between them. They are somehow on the same level, only on different genres, so it's more a matter of taste.

I don't mind a pop song with light lyrics, sometimes I even feel like ESC should have more of those, but as some of you said, this is incredibly common.

GWTW1939
13th January 2016, 20:09
The song has a true meaning, if you listen to it backwards :lol: ok, let's say it. The song is catchy, the lyrics are embarassing.

Sounds like a Eurovision song to me 8-)

http://media0.giphy.com/media/GCLlQnV7wzKLu/giphy.gif

AuroraBorealis
13th January 2016, 20:14

Is that the same for the UK too? I noticed that we ranked Lithuania 1st in televoting in 2015 (though it was probably the gay kiss that got them there.. the UK saw it mostly as a middle finger up to Russia and there was some anti-russia sentiment in the UK at the time though it's slowly getting lesser)

lavieenrose
13th January 2016, 20:30

Alright, didn't know I needed to justify my thoughts on a song with a dissertation, but if that's what we're doing, what are your arguments in its favor?

r3gg13
13th January 2016, 20:35
It's like a Heroes's inoffensive and plain-Jane cousin. It's not bad, it's just not particularly great. If this were a dinner meal, this would be a take-away from a mid-range Chinese restaurant- it will do, but I'm certain there are better choices out there.

AshleyWright
13th January 2016, 20:39
It's like a Heroes's inoffensive and plain-Jane cousin. It's not bad, it's just not particularly great. If this were a dinner meal, this would be a take-away from a mid-range Chinese restaurant- it will do, but I'm certain there are better choices out there.

That description though. :lol:

Lietuvis
13th January 2016, 20:39
Is that the same for the UK too? I noticed that we ranked Lithuania 1st in televoting in 2015 (though it was probably the gay kiss that got them there.. the UK saw it mostly as a middle finger up to Russia and there was some anti-russia sentiment in the UK at the time though it's slowly getting lesser)

Yeah, UK has 2nd most Lithuanians right behind Ireland. In fact my father emmigrated to UK too.

Mrm
13th January 2016, 20:42
Not that thrilled, but it's OK, not bad, not GREAT, I gave 7 in the poll, for studio version, live singing will be pivotal!! :mrgreen:

Karhu
13th January 2016, 21:05

You mean, besides the:

- lyrics that were designed to hit on every possible tired Eurovision cliché?
- copy-paste melody that has no unique qualities and that we've all heard a thousand times before?
- singer chosen mostly because of name and appearance, and not because he can sing well live?

John1
13th January 2016, 21:23
You mean, besides the:

- lyrics that were designed to hit on every possible tired Eurovision cliché?
- copy-paste melody that has no unique qualities and that we've all heard a thousand times before?
- singer chosen mostly because of name and appearance, and not because he can sing well live?

Those three arguments are based on people's opinion, and I know how it does work, because of my hateful behaviour with Mans' song last year.

Lupus
13th January 2016, 21:30
Those three arguments are based on people's opinion, and I know how it does work, because of my hateful behaviour with Mans' song last year.

Surely all arguments on music are people's opinions? I doubt there's a single song from Eurovision ever that doesn't have someone who loves it and someone who hates it! It's all people's opinion at the end of the day!

John1
13th January 2016, 21:32
Surely all arguments on music are people's opinions? I doubt there's a single song from Eurovision ever that doesn't have someone who loves it and someone who hates it! It's all people's opinion at the end of the day!

Indeed.

Karhu
13th January 2016, 21:32

Well, you asked why (some) people hate this song so much, so of course it's a matter of opinion.

And I dislike "Heroes" as well but it was clear that entry was going to be successful because of the memorable backdrop and performance. And, while the song itself is not original, it sounds like a modern pop song that wouldn't sound out of place on the radio, which is clearly what the juries are trying to promote.

With "Sunlight" I don't get the sense that it's modern at all, in fact it sounds about 10-15 years outdated. I think even a very strong and professional performance (which isn't necessarily guaranteed given Nicky's live singing) wouldn't bring it higher than midtable in the final.

John1
13th January 2016, 21:34
Well, you asked why (some) people hate this song so much, so of course it's a matter of opinion.

And I dislike "Heroes" as well but it was clear that entry was going to be successful because of the memorable backdrop and performance. And, while the song itself is not original, it sounds like a modern pop song that wouldn't sound out of place on the radio, which is clearly what the juries are trying to promote.

With "Sunlight" I don't get the sense that it's modern at all, in fact it sounds about 10-15 years outdated. I think even a very strong and professional performance (which isn't necessarily guaranteed given Nicky's live singing) wouldn't bring it higher than midtable in the final.

Wait and see. :)

Sammy
13th January 2016, 21:45
I am very happy with this choice! Ireland should easily qualify with this an get a decent, even a good result in the final. To the contrary of some of our friends here, I can't see why he should be a terrible singer. He has a rough, but a strong voice, which gives him an interesting timbre. And he's an experienced live-performer...
The song is catchy and easy to link onto. Once again I get the feeling, that some negative remarks about this choice would never been made, had it been a song from another country.

anto475
13th January 2016, 21:50
Well, Ireland have definitely tried this year

A lot of people are saying this, we didn't try at all!!!! Nicky Byrne more than likely went up to our HoD and said "I'd like a go" and they figured "big name, this could be good!". He's being pushed a lot by RTÉ here for some reason, he's not an amazing singer and as far as presenting goes his only skill is that he looks great in a suit.

The reaction here is mainly negative. Though I can't tell if that's out of public anger at RTÉ or genuine disliking of the song, it's hard to tell.

It's trash. It's not even trash because trash is its own special thing, this is just bland and boring and cookie-cutter pop. There's no emotion here, there's no passion, just a plain pop song stuck to a famous face. As a song it sounds like a horrible mash between Autumn Leaves and Heroes that got watered down. I hope they change this, or at least call him "Nicky Byrne (from Westlife)" when he performs, otherwise we don't stand a chance at qualifying at all

BarefootBoogaloo
13th January 2016, 22:09
A solid 5 from me: not terrible, but could easily be overshadowed by another entry in the drawing order. I really do want it to fare well though, if anything, so that RTE stops using The Late Late Show as their selection process.

Hele.
13th January 2016, 22:24
Together-never-forever as rhyme for like 1000th time (only in esc)?? Why someone who sings it would accept such cliche?? If this was like 2000s song, maybe it should be considered, but this nowadays?? :confused:

Although song is not that bad but that general feel of cliche ruins it a bit...and I was so excited when saw thread title and was expecting some Westlife's kind of ballad with Irish touch. :( Such a shame but all in all - mediocre and it might qualify. Depending on its performance but others too. Definitely not too strong to already see it as qualifier. xshrug

ParadiseES
13th January 2016, 22:30
It's good, but.....that's all. Pretty in the middle of the road. Ireland is going with sort of a softer version of "Heroes" (they did something similar in 2014 and the result was not good...), but this really doesn't stand out.
Since I kinda like it, gonna give it 6 points and it's my fave so far, because at least it's better than Albania, but that's all.

But heeey, ESC 2016 sexiest guy award is probably in Ireland's pocket :p

CPV4931
13th January 2016, 23:16
So no "Late Late Show" and no "Odious Little Man" this year... was always kind of fun.

"Sunlight" is not a very special song, but it´s an ok, solid pop song I like more and more I listen to it, so 7 points from me.

GWTW1939
13th January 2016, 23:25
So no "Late Late Show" and no "Odious Little Man" this year... was always kind of fun.

Since you've brought up Linda Martin :mrgreen:, has she volunteered her opinion yet?

I feel like we should have heard it by now unless she still in RTÉ's office giving them hell for robbing her of a television appearance where she can give the world the pleasure of her supreme presence xqueenbitch

theditz83
14th January 2016, 00:17
This is pretty decent - but for me the chorus seems a bit weak compared with the verses. 7 points for now.

ESCPOLAND
14th January 2016, 01:15
12 points for me ! :D :)

VikingTiger
14th January 2016, 01:22
12 points for me ! :D :)

xshock

Johnny992
14th January 2016, 01:44
Song is great for me now, but everything will depend on stage performance in Stockholm!

GWTW1939
14th January 2016, 02:41
"touch who you wanna"

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/dc/7c/2a/dc7c2a22565a96548a20ec0369f2d322.gif

Okay now that I got that out of my system :oops: I want to know why he sings Sunlight like it was 2 words instead of 1 :? It doesn't bother me but it definitely caught my attention when I first heard it.

ayzelto
14th January 2016, 03:01
And Ireland wants to win with this?? I'm afraid he will even struggle to go through the finals... 4 points from me.

Gera11
14th January 2016, 04:28
And Ireland wants to want with this?? I'm afraid he will even struggle to go through the finals... 4 points from me.

Honestly it's like the 5th year in a row when I'm asking myself that :lol:

RevNet
14th January 2016, 05:31
THE GOOD:

-This is a fun song. I'll give it that.
-It has a Tiesto "Red Lights" vibe, which I can dig.
-The lyrics are slightly better than the instrumentals. Both are good, though.

THE BAD:

-Musically, this song is not a risk-taker. I believe more could have been done with it.
-Because of that, it's not a very exciting song.

THE VERDICT:

While this song is good, it won't win Ireland #8 because it'll probably be labeled as the song that just exists. 7 points

John1
14th January 2016, 18:41
Why did I go to this thread ? That's kind of deception when you see that everybody is judging this song wheras no one saw him performed in live.
That's... erm, everyone can have its own opinion but that's too early to criticize everything about 'Sunlight' though.

wyq614
14th January 2016, 20:20
An 8 point

julien4ESC
14th January 2016, 23:09
It's very bland... sounds like rejected song from Melodifestivalen. So 5 points, no final for Ireland.

SpZ
15th January 2016, 00:14
It is a very generic and average song. And it is not even a high production value average sounding song that you could hear in the radio. It is an average production value average sounding song that is really not going anywhere.

cassio
15th January 2016, 05:43
Why did I go to this thread ? That's kind of deception when you see that everybody is judging this song wheras no one saw him performed in live.
That's... erm, everyone can have its own opinion but that's too early to criticize everything about 'Sunlight' though.

no its not, there is no substance in this song that can be preformed better live...... His voice ...... Sound better live no I don't think so. However if there change the song to an upbeat song yes then maybe..... but we are talking changing the tempo and adding some catchy effekts to it !!

QwaarJet
15th January 2016, 07:52
It's very bland... sounds like rejected song from Melodifestivalen. So 5 points, no final for Ireland.

Literally impossible to predict that when we only know 2 songs.

John1
15th January 2016, 09:15
no its not, there is no substance in this song that can be preformed better live...... His voice ...... Sound better live no I don't think so. However if there change the song to an upbeat song yes then maybe..... but we are talking changing the tempo and adding some catchy effekts to it !!

What would you say if he suceeded to do very well ?

Palkin
15th January 2016, 14:54
Cool song. First cool song from Ireland since 2011.

EscTurkey
17th January 2016, 00:21
I was really hoping for Ireland to finally win ESC 2016 but this song let me down, I couldn't even believe this is the actual song that was produced by worldwide known songwriters, I see no reason why someone would cast a vote for this amongst all 43 songs.

Johnny992
17th January 2016, 01:41
Every time I listen to this song, it brings so much pozitive enegy!!! :D It is really good, awsome!!!

p.s. last year winning song without that stging was a typical pop-house song and irish song 2016 (with no performance seen) is much better for me... :D

anto475
17th January 2016, 03:00
My bf gave this a listen today and texted me back "but no one in Ireland actually knows about sunlight??!"

Nikoreindeer1973
17th January 2016, 11:37
12 points.

Stargazer
17th January 2016, 23:55
It's not terrible, it's not amazing. 6 points.

Matt
17th January 2016, 23:56
Dont' forget, you can now vote in our Ranking Game.

http://www.escunited.com/threads/14506-2016-RANKING-GAME-Round-1-Deadline-Saturday-Jan-23rd-2016

Meckie
18th January 2016, 11:01
Is just average.

busybee
18th January 2016, 13:56
I like it, it has potential. 7 pts.

Sandy
18th January 2016, 20:00
Not bad i like it ..

Shmelsasha
18th January 2016, 21:32
I like all Irish entries since 2009 and this is no exception, 7pts

lilka
19th January 2016, 09:36
Not bad, but nothing special. 3 points.

kengaIME
19th January 2016, 17:32
This is not a bad song, I think. Certainly has a better chance of qualifying than Ireland’s past two attempts.
For now 5 points.

greece
20th January 2016, 17:37
It isn't bad but nothing special tbh. It's just another pop song. His voice is just fine too

Em idk I think a ::4 is fine for this one

megzpegz
21st January 2016, 14:56
Really like this! good catchy pop song 10 points for now:)

sapsan
22nd January 2016, 20:46
I hope I'll finally find songs better than this one :| for my TOP-10. 1 pt.

susanhm
22nd January 2016, 23:11
4 points from me.

Jeansy
23rd January 2016, 23:49
8 for now, but if nothing better comes out maybe this will get my 12 points.

Scooby
24th January 2016, 17:09
For me this is the best song for now. For now gave it 10 points

anto475
4th February 2016, 21:27
Just noticed the day that we would have normally chosen our entry (last Friday in February) is the day they've chosen for the General Election. Conspiracy???

toinou03
4th February 2016, 23:18
Just noticed the day that we would have normally chosen our entry (last Friday in February) is the day they've chosen for the General Election. Conspiracy???

So Linda Martin will be prime minister ! :o

http://www.vauxhalltavern.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Linda-Martin.jpg

anto475
4th February 2016, 23:47
So Linda Martin will be prime minister ! :o

http://www.vauxhalltavern.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Linda-Martin.jpg

Rumours spreading that her first act will be to expel all odious little men from the country, presented as an anti-corruption act. Meanwhile the national anthem will change to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZYQluJW-dM

toinou03
5th February 2016, 00:01
Vote for the woman who has brains !!! xrofl3

GWTW1939
5th February 2016, 00:51
Vote for the woman who tells it like it is! Beware odious little men your time is up! 8-)

Sammy
14th February 2016, 11:16
Nicky performing "sunlight" live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6pjLRyKIpg

Honestly I think it comes across a little bit as a routine, not to much passion in it....

Lenny1993
14th February 2016, 12:13

Honestly I think it comes across a little bit as a routine, not to much passion in it....

I guess you're right, but his vocals are quite good. I think he wanted to deliver a good live performance, so that everyone isn't worried about his vocals. I think they have to spice up the performance. It's a dance track, he shouldn't just stand there singing. But if he does that, I'm sure his vocals will suffer under that. Having mixed feelings about this entry but it's still in my Top 3 :)

MyHeartIsYours
14th February 2016, 14:17
Great live performance from Nicky... when he was chosen everyone said he wouldn't be able to do it live, but he did just fine! :D

Scooby
14th February 2016, 14:30
Having mixed feelings about this entry but it's still in my Top 3 :)

+1
Plus studio version is much much better. I'm afraid this is radio friendly song not intended for live performance on big stage.

WhoKnows
14th February 2016, 17:33

Hmm, that's kinda disappointing. There's no energy. It's my favorite song so far but they will need to work on the performance if they want to do well. This was pretty limp.

Johnny992
14th February 2016, 18:43
I am sure that Ireland are quite serious this year. They wanna do well. It is clear that they are exploring many possibilities for staging and this performance shows that!

Ireland has the best song so far!!! 8-)

RainyWoods
14th February 2016, 19:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_eaX_Fmohg

Romeo
14th February 2016, 20:04

hahahaha I LOVE the 'up up up up uuuup' part and her little hand dance thing pointing up

MyHeartIsYours
14th February 2016, 20:20
hahahaha I LOVE the 'up up up up uuuup' part and her little hand dance thing pointing up
Haha this reminds me of dancing to it back in my student days... no matter how hard one tried you just never managed to look cool on the "up, up, up" bit :lol:

SpZ
14th February 2016, 20:34

He can not really sing the song live. The only thing the studio version had going on for it was being well polished (although made übergeneric by it), then now it just sounds bad.

Dante
14th February 2016, 21:35
I've just watched the live version. I don't think it's that bad actually, not very good either (he plays it a bit safe), it's just incredibly boring.

toinou03
14th February 2016, 23:47

This a great present you offer us tonight !
Grazie !

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BCviVbl2eEo/Uofv416i3HI/AAAAAAAAHWs/4Ushes5VOLc/s1600/02+Amanda+LEAR.jpg

anto475
15th February 2016, 16:49
I'm just going to give Nicky the benefit of the doubt on his live performance and say that it was only dire because it was in RTÉ's terrible studios. But yeah, I think we'll have to wait til 2017 to qualify for the final. At least RTÉ are realising that they can play with the lights and effects

Nikoreindeer1973
16th February 2016, 10:57
I thought Linda Martin did not sing anymore.

DiabloRoma
16th February 2016, 11:21
I'm just going to give Nicky the benefit of the doubt on his live performance and say that it was only dire because it was in RTÉ's terrible studios. But yeah, I think we'll have to wait til 2017 to qualify for the final. At least RTÉ are realising that they can play with the lights and effects

Well, I'm sure Nicky will change his performance in Stockholm. All the way.