PDA

View Full Version : Sami people

Fluke
4th May 2014, 21:52
I'm curious, are there anyone else here of Sami descent, or pure Sami ethnicity? I don't know many others online, and none IRL at all, let alone any who care about the ESC, so i'd be really interested to know if there's anyone else here.

Fluke
10th April 2015, 03:07
We were almost in the ESC this year.... :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZhQ_L9iXNY

GRE
10th April 2015, 11:54
Fluke are you Sami ?

Schlagerman1
12th April 2015, 21:26
If I am not totally off Fearnavigatr have some sami origin in the past on some side? :confused:

Fluke
12th April 2015, 21:41
Fluke are you Sami ?

Partially, i don't know anyone, or even met anyone who speaks the language.

Fearnavigatr
12th April 2015, 23:37
If I am not totally off Fearnavigatr have some sami origin in the past on some side? :confused:
Very very very very little, something like one ancestor eight to ten generations back.
I personally know quite a lot of people of sami descent though, including my cousins who are half-sami on their father's side. Only a few of the people I know actually display or talk about their ethnicity, and a lot of them were at least very vocally supportive of Jon Henrik in MF.

Schlagerman1
12th April 2015, 23:52
Very very very very little, something like one ancestor eight to ten generations back.
I personally know quite a lot of people of sami descent though, including my cousins who are half-sami on their father's side. Only a few of the people I know actually display or talk about their ethnicity, and a lot of them were at least very vocally supportive of Jon Henrik in MF.

There Fluke , you got your sami now! :lol: :mrgreen:

Fearnavigatr
13th April 2015, 00:06
Identity-wise though, nah, not me. :P

Fluke
1st February 2018, 23:47
There seems to be a real wave of Sami getting exposure in Sweden right now. Not just the movie "Sami Blood" (which btw is a bit overrated in my personal opinion - i understand that people are mostly touched and shocked to see how Sami were treated in Sweden, but the story just don't work very well IMO) and the documentary series "Samernas tid" (which can be seen on urplay.se and is really excellent, a must see) but also TV shows like "Smaker från Sapmi" and "Studio Sapmi" (the later being pretty good, the former not so much IMO) and a number of other minor things. Do you think there's a real paradigm shift in how Swedish society (and to some extent Norwegian, but it seems Sami are and have long been slightly better treated there) is viewing Sami people taking place?

VasilijeM
2nd February 2018, 01:42
This thread made me google and learn a bit more about Sami. Their struggles somehow remind me of Romani people.

Hegepege
9th March 2018, 13:23
I am not sami, although I live in the north of Norway where the sami culture is quite strong. My father is of the "kven" people, the finns that settled down in our area. My grandmother even spoke Finnish. know countless people of sami descend, many of them speak the language, and those who wants, gets to learn sami language in school. All public signs in this city has a sami translation as well. It haven't been like that always. Sami people have been heavily discriminated, and forced to live by norwegian culture. This is an old TV-series, but it's really good, and describing what it was like for small kids to be sent off to norwegian schools to learn how to fit in: https://tv.nrk.no/serie/ante

Fluke
9th February 2019, 01:53
A short review really worth watching. Didn't realize so many Sami artists had been in the ESC.... and now Sweden may get another one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TVhZBHNgP4

tomos2019
9th February 2019, 12:37
^ Yeah, I watched that video the other day! Norfin's uploaded some quite good stuff actually.