PDA

View Full Version : Things to know about your country. SAY NO TO THE STEREOTYPES

JEANP
24th May 2013, 22:59
Share there facts on your country that foreigner don't know or for correct the wrong vision on your country.

Mine (France):

We are taking shower every day (well soe are not doing it but well genrally we are doing it)

We are not all pretentious. It's generally parisian and Paris it's not all France .(well and it's genrally don't forge that everyone isu niqueand have diferent caracter)

France is compose of a metropolitan part and a other sea part compose of different territories situate in Africa, the Pacific and America.

French is the official language but we have also different regional languages which are genrally in the metropolitan part exept for breton catalan , alsacian and basque disapearing. And generally (I don't know for all) but for my regional language occitan the languages is changing since the place where you ar but it's understable.

Baguette is not the only bread. We have many bread which are as , more or less good than baguette.

French are not all romanticc , it's sad but more and more men are thinking with their s** than their head.

Well it's my opinion done wwith my personal experience (sorry for my english)

Jim
24th May 2013, 23:11
Share there facts on your country that foreigner don't know or for correct the wrong vision on your country.

Mine (France):

We are taking shower every day (well soe are not doing it but well genrally we are doing it)

We are not all pretentious. It's generally parisian and Paris it's not all France .(well and it's genrally don't forge that everyone isu niqueand have diferent caracter)

France is compose of a metropolitan part and a other sea part compose of different territories situate in Africa, the Pacific and America.

French is the official language but we have also different regional languages which are genrally in the metropolitan part exept for breton catalan , alsacian and basque disapearing. And generally (I don't know for all) but for my regional language occitan the languages is changing since the place where you ar but it's understable.

Baguette is not the only bread. We have many bread which are as , more or less good than baguette.

French are not all romanticc , it's sad but more and more men are thinking with their s** than their head.

Well it's my opinion done wwith my personal experience (sorry for my english)

You say that you take shower every day, but here in Greece everyone says that if you don't have the time to take shower every day then you should buy a perfume, the French people do the same, they don't take a shower every day...! :lol:

JEANP
24th May 2013, 23:34
:lol: Depends of people but I know many people who take shower everyday. I take shower everyday. ^^

dragvision
24th May 2013, 23:44
the italian when think at the France think a the frech women, here many actress are from france, corinne clery, Edwige Fenech...And the italian think the frenche people have ever bad humor

JEANP
24th May 2013, 23:52
Yes maybe ahahha . diditalian lie France ? ( Even i think know the answer.)
but i want to know facts on other countries. let's broke the stereotypes.

Quent91
25th May 2013, 00:06
We, Belgians, don't eat every day mussels (I actually hate seafood) with fries and we don't drink beer all day long xshrug

We don't all have that horrible "Belgian accent" that the French love to make remarks about (actually, it's the Brussels accent cuz there are different accents in Belgium, and I kinda got it - the Brussels one - but the French generalize all of them in one they call the Belgian accent :lol:) xshrug

Archer
25th May 2013, 03:57
Turkey:

- We don't wear Fez
- We don't ride camels
- There are no deserts here
- It snows here too
- We are not arabs and do not speak Arabic
- Women don't wear veil

Celia
25th May 2013, 10:53
::es

-We are not lazy people and sleep "siesta" all day long.
-Most people don't know how to dance flamenco :lol: (in fact many people don't like nor identify with it because it comes from the South)
-Fortunately many people are against bull-fighting.
-Most people aren't dark-skinned (I'd say the most common type is fair skin and brown hair and eyes. But you can find darker people as well as blondes)

SRBIJA
25th May 2013, 11:07
We are not vandals. :)

WE have a good taste in music, every year in ESC, winning song receives a lot of points from us (if not the most at all).

JackBauer
25th May 2013, 16:40
That thing about French people not washing is hilarious really.

It started after WWII. Women (& men of course) were freed by Americans after years of occupation without perfume, soap and after you got half of your city destroyed, water.

You can imagine the physical state of people at the time and yes, i can imagine they did smell. Girls were happy, they slept with Americans.

And here came a reputation for French people and women to be a little smelly despite those strong attenuating circumstances.

And still in 2013, you have some douchebags who hates us for being us, most of them who never went to France, (and the rest of them surely too ugly to have laid down with anyone while here) who are stupid enough to say people are reeeeeeeallyyyyyy smellyyyy in France, that we don't wash at all.

That's the only thing that gets on my nerve while speaking of France, i can forgive all the others cliches, but that one is just so unfaire it's almost racism.

Yoni
25th May 2013, 16:59
lalala.

- It's not a constant war here, we don't live in that much danger as people think :lol:
- Most Israeli guys do *not* dress or look like this - http://www.nrg.co.il/images/archive/465x349/1/101/942.jpg
- We don't have camels in our backyards.
- Only HALF of our country is a desert, the rest is pretty much green.
- A lot of people here are against the government (and it's funny to see every time after an election when governments change :lol:)
- Most of the Jews and Arabs here do get along.

aletem
27th May 2013, 10:05
- In the summer time, we can get 40C temperature in Canada. So it's not always cold! :lol:

Venage
27th May 2013, 14:30
- Germans aren't Nazis
- We understand irony and are quite humorous at times.
- We're not grumpy all day long
- Our trains aren't always on time.
- Only 70% of our autobahns don't have a speed limit
- Not all Germans are Bavarians and we therefore don't wear lederhosen/dirndl all day long
- We don't drink beer and eat schnitzel everyday
- Even Germans (especially us young ones) hate sandals SOOC http://bilder.t-online.de/b/42/21/56/86/id_42215686/tid_da/index.jpg

Quent91
27th May 2013, 15:25
- Not all Germans are Bavarians and we therefore don't wear lederhosen/dirndl all day long

That's too bad :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67rc96joOz8

r3gg13
27th May 2013, 16:19
::us

Not all Americans are fat, ignorant or just plain stupid
We do have literature, art, and other high culture things
We don't all support wars and interventions

nofuxCZ
27th May 2013, 18:16
- We understand irony and are quite humorous at times.
- We're not grumpy all day long
- We don't drink beer and eat schnitzel everyday
- Even Germans (especially us young ones) hate sandals SOOC http://bilder.t-online.de/b/42/21/56/86/id_42215686/tid_da/index.jpg

This can be applied to ::cz as well :lol:

But look, sandals might become cool again xrofl3
http://i.lagardere.cz/evropa2/img/edee/louis.jpg

Venage
27th May 2013, 18:25
Haha, seems like Czech Republic and Germany have quite a lot in common.

But sandals + socks from Louis Vuitton? Give me a second, I have to vomit SOOC Well, at least some of the older Germans aren't recognized as Germans anymore during holidays if everyone wears them in the near future xrofl3

Gera11
27th May 2013, 18:50
::ro

- Not all romanians are gypsies(Romani - ethnic group)
- Not all romanians are thiefs.
- Bucharest is Romania’s capital city, while Budapest is actually Hungary’s. This is something that many people get wrong. xrofl2
- There are no vampires in Transylvania. Vlad the Impaler was a Wallachian Voivode, and it was called "vampire" because he was member of House of Drăculești, voilá, Dracula :lol:
- The communist era is over by more than 20 year here :lol: We are a democratic republic. :D
- We are a latin country. Yeah, we have some slavic words(because of the slavic migration from Middle Ages), but we are still a latin country. So, no russian is speaking here, as some are thinking :lol:

r3gg13
27th May 2013, 18:58
Bucharest is Romania’s capital city, while Budapest is actually Hungary’s.

My mom gets confused about the two :lol:. When I told her that I was in Budapest, she told me, 'oh so how's Romania like?' xrofl2 :oops:

AdelAdel
28th May 2013, 18:03
Not all people drink vodka
Not all people steal cars
There are no polar bears here

Yoni
28th May 2013, 18:32
Not all people drink vodka
Not all people steal cars
There are no polar bears here

BUT HOW COOL WOULD IT BE IF THERE WERE :(

Leaf
29th May 2013, 21:49
We don't live in igloos
We don't say a-boot
We don't all say eh
We do, however, eat poutine 24/7

anto475
30th May 2013, 00:41
Only a tiny minority are anti-British
We're not all crazy Catholics
Leprechauns don't exist
Oddly enough we're a very modern country, infrastructure-wise
No one says ,,Top of the Morning"

doctormalisimo
30th May 2013, 01:56
Oddly enough we're a very modern country, infrastructure-wise
youve never been north of Monaghan I guess? :p

Tinchey
30th May 2013, 02:30
::hr

- Not all Croatia is on the Balkans, only the south parts are... both geographically and mentally. :) Don't mention anything about it.
- We've had more influences from Austria, Hungary, Italy and Germany than from our slavic neighbours and Turkey - that's why we hate to be considered as a southeastern european country.
- We have no good cuisine like some think, most of the things our restaurants offer are either turkish or italian cuisine. Other than some pies, štrukli, fish of all sorts I can't think of any other typical Croatian dish.
- We don't like our neighbours as we do in ESC, well the xenophobic, post-war population doesn't. But they do like turbofolk.
- Most of Croatians speak english well, unlike our politicians.
- Our nature isn't as beautiful as it might seem in the pics... although it's really nice, but it's kinda overrated.
- We're not Ustashas
- We're very patriotic.
- Our society is not as homophobic as people might think.
- Even though the officials say there are 90% of religious people here, I'd say it's more like 45%.
- Dubrovnik is overrated.
- We're not thieves, convicts, murderers.
- We're extremely lazy.
- We're not talented in sports as some may think, our athletes are individuals.
- We're not annoying like some fellow Croatians on ESCUNITED.com

I think that's it. :D

wyq614
30th May 2013, 04:17
::na

- We are not so thin and short with a little dark skin (e.g. I'm 1.85 metres tall).
- Chinese isn't equal to Cantonese, Chinese language isn't equal to Cantonese language.
- We who live permanently in China, may behave very differently to the Chinese people living in your country.
- We don't eat child or make dishes with human flesh.
- Yes, only one child is permitted per family, but if someone gave birth to two, we never kill one of them, the only problem is that their parents may be fined. And moreover, actually this policy is made more flexible. If you are the only child in your family and your spouse is, too, then you two can have two kids.
- Abortion is legal in China, but it is ilegal to force someone to abort. Sadly, a few similar incidents have happened, but again, this is not policy, this is against our law.
- We don't work in Sundays, only some owners of private restaurants or grocery stores do, not because they enjoy doing so, but they believe that as people don't work on Sundays, there may be more time to go shopping and leisure so they can earn a lot of money during weekend.
- We are 1300 million people, but only some 65 million of them are Communist Party members, with only a few of them being real communists.
- Beijing's air is not ALWAYS that bad, you don't have to wear anything to cover your nose and mouth.
- There are nice and very polite people in China, they neither smoke in public (or don't smoke at all) nor spit on the ground.

EDIT: We don't eat cats (but some Cantonese may do), nor dogs (Koreans in China do eat dogs anyway)

anto475
30th May 2013, 04:36
youve never been north of Monaghan I guess? :p

i thought the six counties were actually very well developed! anyway i meant as in that we have paved roads and electricity and all mod cons etc. given that a lot of the tourists over for the Navy v. Notre Dame match that i met in work last year were all Ireland is SO modern! Your stadium was so high-tech! :/

Hegepege
30th May 2013, 09:58
- We don't have polarbears on mainland Norway, just at Svalbard
- It's actually quite mild along the norwegian coastline during winter, harbours don't freeze
- Not all of us are filthy rich and bathing in oil
- Norway doesn't turn into wilderness as soon as you're furher north than Trondheim, we do have cities up north as well
- Not all of us are tall and blond with blue eyes
- Even though a great amount of norwegians are members of the church of Norway, very few consider themself as christians. The average norwegian is either agnostic og atheist.

vatroslav_cro
30th May 2013, 11:01
::hr

- Not all Croatia is on the Balkans, only the south parts are... both geographically and mentally. :) Don't mention anything about it.
- We've had more influences from Austria, Hungary, Italy and Germany than from our slavic neighbours and Turkey - that's why we hate to be considered as a southeastern european country.
- We have no good cuisine like some think, most of the things our restaurants offer are either turkish or italian cuisine. Other than some pies, štrukli, fish of all sorts I can't think of any other typical Croatian dish.
- We don't like our neighbours as we do in ESC, well the xenophobic, post-war population doesn't. But they do like turbofolk.
- Most of Croatians speak english well, unlike our politicians.
- Our nature isn't as beautiful as it might seem in the pics... although it's really nice, but it's kinda overrated.
- We're not Ustashas
- We're very patriotic.
- Our society is not as homophobic as people might think.
- Even though the officials say there are 90% of religious people here, I'd say it's more like 45%.
- Dubrovnik is overrated.
- We're not thieves, convicts, murderers.
- We're extremely lazy.
- We're not talented in sports as some may think, our athletes are individuals.
- We're not annoying like some fellow Croatians on ESCUNITED.com

I think that's it. :D
plus:

we don't listen turbofolk ALL...and Severina.....it is true, because I really know many people who really DON'T listen it:)
the rest it more-less true, like Luka said, although I don't agree about the nature because we have a lot of "untouched nature" and undiscovered parts, which are not known by the tourists yet.

FrachellyJelly
5th June 2013, 21:18
::uk
- We're not all Cockney or Mancunian
- We don't all know the Queen personally
- Okay... so most of us do drink A LOT of tea...
- Our oral hygeine has improved significantly, especially amongst the younger generations.
- We don't hate Europe
- We're not all cricket playing, prawn sandwich eating, fox hunting, Tory voting, upper class twits.
- Some of us take Eurovision seriously.
- We're not all football hooligans

FrachellyJelly
5th June 2013, 21:19
No one says ,,Top of the Morning"

That was the sound of my heart breaking.

Stargazer
6th June 2013, 05:48
::se

Not all of us have blonde hair and blue eyes (even though I myself have both blonde hair and blue eyes :lol:).
We do not speak like the Swedish Chef on the Muppet Show.
No one under the age of 70 is named Ulla, Inga, Sven or Olof despite what Hollywood will have you think.
We're not promiscuous harlots. Sex and the naked body is just considered a natural thing here, as it should be.
Only really wealthy people and businesses pay 50% in taxes, the rest of us pay about 30-35% in income tax.
We do not have the highest suicide rates, despite countless reports on this. We've just been keeping a record of suicides longer than other countries because they don't have the same kind of stigma or shame attached to them here.
Not everyone shops at IKEA, listens to ABBA or watches Ingmar Bergman movies.
There are actually Swedes who are not interested in ESC or MF whatsoever (I know, shocking! :lol:).

Nikkita
8th June 2013, 20:18
::tr
Only SOME women wears hijab.
Not all of our guys are macho men with moustache.
We all are not brunettes.(Atatürk was blonde,for example!)
We don't eat kebab or döner every day.
We don't see camels on the streets.
We don't live in a desert.

LakZaNokte
9th June 2013, 16:02
in croatia, we often say "smokes like a turk" :mrgreen:
so, is it true, do ppl smoke a lot in turkey? xbow

Gera11
9th June 2013, 16:12
Only SOME women wears hijab.
Not all of our guys are macho men with moustache.
We all are not brunettes.(Atatürk was blonde,for example!)
We don't eat kebab or döner every day.

In Romania, when two people are arguing often one of them is saying " We are understanding like turks" xstars. I don't know from where is this expression, but it's used quite often :lol:

nekoisneko
9th June 2013, 16:28
::id (Indonesia)

most of us take bath twice a day :lol:
corruption, corruption everywhere xcrazy
most of Indonesian people are Moslem
we have 3 different time zones : West Indonesia Time Zone, Central Indonesia Time Zone, and East Indonesia Time Zone
we are conservative, so nudity, sexually explicit, etc are still taboo in here
different place, different ethnic group
Indonesian Language is still the second language in some part of Indonesia (we have our local language, which each ethnic group has a local language)
poverty is still the main issue in Indonesia
our total population is 240 Million (number 4th in the world), but around 135 Million people live in Java Island
Unity in Diversity is really happen in here :D

Little
9th June 2013, 17:30

Also in Italy we say this. :D

toinou03
9th June 2013, 18:17

In ::fr we don't say that but we say "strong like a Turk" :lol: Actually, Turkish and Caucasian do great in wrestling and weightlifting ! :lol:

r3gg13
9th June 2013, 18:38
most of us take bath twice a day

OMG, that's the same in the Philippines! :lol:. Long live nice cold baths/showers! We really are cultural brothers!

It's a cultural + practical thing I guess! We like being symbolically clean, and we love the cold water especially during the summer months :D. It's a nice way to cool off when there's 100% humidity! :lol:

escandesc
9th June 2013, 22:28

How on earth could people think about Turkey that way? We have Google at least. :o

"smokes like a turk"

::fr "strong like a Turk" :lol:

In Romania, when two people are arguing often one of them is saying " We are understanding like turks" xstars. I don't know from where is this expression, but it's used quite often :lol:

LOL

well, I made a little search and it says 31% of Turkey smokes. :) :?

LakZaNokte
9th June 2013, 22:42
but the question is, how much do those smokers smoke :mrgreen:
cause the saying refers to that; when u "smoke like a turk", u smoke a lot xbow

Venage
9th June 2013, 22:53
::de During Oktoberfest we Germans really DO drink a lot of beer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hhy9AD1K70

escandesc
9th June 2013, 23:01
but the question is, how much do those smokers smoke :mrgreen:
cause the saying refers to that; when u "smoke like a turk", u smoke a lot xbow

oh, right! :) most probably they do. :D

LakZaNokte
9th June 2013, 23:22
::de During Oktoberfest we Germans really DO drink a lot of beer.

yeah, that won't be breaking news for anyone :mrgreen:

wyq614
9th June 2013, 23:55
How on earth could people think about Turkey that way? We have Google at least. :o

LOL

Lower rate than China

nekoisneko
10th June 2013, 02:22
OMG, that's the same in the Philippines! :lol:. Long live nice cold baths/showers! We really are cultural brothers!

It's a cultural + practical thing I guess! We like being symbolically clean, and we love the cold water especially during the summer months :D. It's a nice way to cool off when there's 100% humidity! :lol:

I think all South East Asia countries have this culture :lol:

r3gg13
10th June 2013, 06:20
I think all South East Asia countries have this culture :lol:

Definitely! I haven't met a person from SEA who hasn't taken 2 showers a day at one point in their life :lol:

Do you also find it better to keep your hair wet than blow drying it? :mrgreen:

Amir
10th June 2013, 08:45
::ir

Iran is not an anti-semitic country. Jews are a recognized majority in the country, part of the government and Iran has the biggest
number of Jews in the middle east after Israel.
Israel offered money to jewish Iranians to move to Israel, but they refused

Avalon
10th June 2013, 09:57
::be

- We don't eat French Fries, mussels, chicory, chocolate or waffles every day. (Do you know how FAT you can become of that? :lol:)
- We don't all drink beer with our meal.
- We aren't that stupid (we have still a nice education system)
- It doesn't rain every day here. :p
- Not all Flemish people hate the Walloons and vice versa.
- We don't hate the Dutch/French/German people.

That's all for now :)

Nikkita
10th June 2013, 15:36
LOL
Actually like all of my friends and some of my family smokes so i can understand this saying :D

nekoisneko
10th June 2013, 16:52
Do you also find it better to keep your hair wet than blow drying it? :mrgreen:

OMG,

this one is also true !! xrofl2 xrofl2

it's better to keep our hair dry naturally than using hair-dryer :mrgreen:

Sultana
11th June 2013, 22:29
::ru okay then it comes my turn :D
- Russia is not the coldest country in the world and there is no snow all year round. We have hot summers +40 in the Asian part and +32 in European
- We don't drink vodka and play balalaika. Vodka sometimes but balalaika oh hell no :)
- We don't eat pancakes and pelmeni every single day and also we don't use samovar ( a heated metal container traditionally used to heat and boil water)
- Siberia and Taiga are not so dangerous. Siberia has a great number of big cities where people live. There are no bears and dangerous men. I heard foreigners think that in Siberia and Taiga there are men who eat bears and sometimes humans oO
- We don't struggle by hunger. We have a great number of different products we eat enought and we have enough clothes to wear ( even more then enough)
- Women here are not prostitutes and men are not Mafioso! And children here are not junkies! ( again I heard that Finnish newspapers think so)
And we don't dream about USSR life or something like that, and we don't think that Stalin or Lenin or another leaders are gods and etc :D
I think that that's all what I know:D

Little
11th June 2013, 22:37
It was a lot of time I wanted to ask to russian users a thing... (but maybe it's ot :oops:)
How is going Tatiana Drubich's career? She's a russian actress I knew watching russian desyat negrityat (with eng sub, obviously :p) that I liked a lot (I think the best version of Ten little indians).

randajad
15th June 2013, 20:16
::ba

We are not savages & do not neither hate nor kill each other every day.
Actually, we had influences from Austria as much as we have had from Turkey, although our land was part of Turkey much longer.
We like to hear someone trying to speak our language(s).
The most of us do know the difference between č,ć,ž,š,đ and dž.
We do not eat ćevapi, baklava, sarma or burek all year long.
There is no such thing as burek sa sirom (burek with cheese), there is only sirnica.
We do not have two capitals. The only one is Sarajevo.
Brčko is not part of any of the 2 entities.
The most of ex-yu music stars came from our country. (Sorry drugovi Jugosloveni, deal with it. :P )
We do not know Turkish, although the most watched series are from Turkey.
There are not so many Gastarbeiter here.
Once we were kingdom, and before that Banate (aka Banovina) and people find this part of our history so good that there is a saying "Za kulina bana i dobrih dana" meaning "it was the good time of Ban Kulin".
The only Yugoslavian Nobel prize winner was Ivo Andrić from Travnik, Bosnia and Herzegovina. He was awarded the prize for his book Na Drini ćuprija (translated int English like The Bridge on the Drina). That bridge is one of the most visited places here, but it is overrated.
Mostar is the most beautiful Bosnian city.

If I remember something, I will add. :D

vatroslav_cro
15th June 2013, 20:20

The only Yugoslavian Nobel prize winner was Ivo Andrić from Travnik, Bosnia and Herzegovina. He was awarded the prize for his book Na Drini ćuprija (translated int English like The Bridge on the Drina). That bridge is one of the most visited places here, but it is overrated.
. :D

Ohohohoh no no no! The only one Nobel prize winner in LITERATURE you mean? We had Vladimir Prelog (Nobel prize for chemistry)...watch it!:)

randajad
15th June 2013, 20:22
Ohohohoh no no no! The only one Nobel prize winner in LITERATURE you mean? We had Vladimir Prelog (Nobel prize for chemistry)...watch it!:)Ups, I've meant that. But, he was from here too as far as I know. :oops:

vatroslav_cro
15th June 2013, 20:24
Vladimir Prelog? Yes, from HR:)
Ivo Andrić was from Bosnia but went to Serbia fast, I think, not sure about it.

randajad
15th June 2013, 20:27
Vladimir Prelog? Yes, from HR:)
Ivo Andrić was from Bosnia but went to Serbia fast, I think, not sure about it.I thought Prelog was born in Sarajevo.
And about Andrić: yep he moved to Serbia, and had been writing in ekavica, and was Croat. :D

LakZaNokte
15th June 2013, 21:44

We do not eat ćevapi, baklava, sarma or burek all year long.
why? xrofl2

There is no such thing as burek sa sirom (burek with cheese), there is only sirnica.
ah, yes, the eternal question xbow
i have seen discussions about that in every possible internet site xrofl2

The most of ex-yu music stars came from our country. (Sorry drugovi Jugosloveni, deal with it. :P )
thinking...xthink
this would make a interesting discussion u know :mrgreen:
cause we had more than few huge names :mrgreen:

randajad
15th June 2013, 21:53
why? xrofl2
Acutally I really do not know. But the truth is that all of our neighbors & the rest of the World think that we are zagriženi baklavo-ćevapojedi. :P

ah, yes, the eternal question xbow
i have seen discussions about that in every possible internet site xrofl2
Prosto ko'o pasulj - burek je pita sa mesom, sirnica je sa sirom. Plus dodaš malo bosanske duše i od obične pite dobiješ burek ili sirnicu. Lupam. :P

thinking...xthink
this would make a interesting discussion u know :mrgreen:
cause we had more than few huge names :mrgreen:
I know, I know, but... I always thought about Sarajevo as Musical capital of Ex-Yu. Ne kaže se džaba: "Kroz Bosnu ne pjevaj, kroz Srbiju ne igraj, a kroz Makedoniju ni jedno ni drugo." :lol::oops::mrgreen::p

Yoni
15th June 2013, 21:58
burekas (that's how we call it) is the best ever omg, I can seriously eat it all year long (burekas pizza, that is :D)

r3gg13
23rd November 2013, 22:16
Perception of America from visitors

I think what's said here are pretty interesting observations.

Quora.com recently asked ”What facts about the United States do foreigners not believe until they come to America?”

What followed was a compilation of things that make our country unique, provided by those who experienced it when they or their relatives came to the United States for the first time.

I sifted through the extensive list of responses and pulled quotes, particularly those concerning money, that I found interesting, thought-provoking, charming or otherwise noteworthy. Following, in their own words, are things about America foreigners find amazing:

We’ve got a big country

“Foreigners cannot believe how vast the country is. I am from the West Coast of the U.S. and my Italian relatives come here thinking they can visit me in Seattle, plus also see New York City, Miami, the Grand Canyon and Hollywood all in a week — by car.”

Our priorities are different

“At least until the 1980s in Guyana, dog food was not a thing that existed. Dogs got table scraps and mostly were outside. They are surprised by how in America, people actually avoid feeding their dog “people food.”

“There is almost no public transportation except in a few large cities. People actually have to have cars to get places. Cars are necessity, not luxury.”

“Bottles of water. For some reason, people carry huge bottles around. And the funny thing is, there’s a (refrigerated) water fountain in almost every corridor.”

“Biased media: Political bias, economic bias, geographic bias, etc. Clear misuse of freedom of speech. If all I hear is inaccurate news, my perception of the world will be grossly inaccurate. How hard is it to realize this?”

“The U.S. preserves its nature: I was thrilled to see how far ahead America is in preserving its beautiful nature. Absolutely terrific, kudos to you guys.”

We have some weird rules

“Coming from India, I found it amazing the way traffic behaved without any intervention from traffic policemen. Just everyone following the rules.”

“You’re not allowed to just cross the road when it’s safe? Crazy. You’d get nowhere in a city like London if you had to follow the rules you do in the US. No one believes you can get arrested for crossing the street.”

“An intern at work was saying he couldn’t go to the pub with us. I assumed it was because he was allergic to something or religious or something. It turns out he wasn’t 21. So you can vote, get married and serve in the military but can’t have a beer? Seriously?”

“The credit system in America will create a numerical value (credit score) to assess everyone’s financial fitness. No one know how the score is calculated but you need that to get a loan… or two… or three… and beyond. The irony: despite all this credit score stuff, 2008 Financial Crisis still happens.”

We’re heavily into ads

“My god how do people watch anything on TV in America without going insane? We watched half a movie, about an hour in length, but it took nearly two hours due to the adverts popping up every 8 or 9 minutes for 6 or 7 minutes. It wouldn’t have been so bad, but it was the same adverts EVERY TIME.”

We’re both friendly and trusting

“The niceness of strangers. Nicest people in the world, even in New York which is supposed to be one of the rudest cities in the world.”

“In bars I’ve been in the situation where everyone hands over their credit cards and the bar staff keep track of how much everyone has spent and will hand you back a bill at the end of the night. This doesn’t happen anywhere else. In England you’d not trust the bar staff to do this at all – they’d probably steal your card.”

“Every cashier will greet you with “How are you today? You find everything okay?” with a smile, and you’re quite thrown off the first few times.”

“There is no culture of philanthropy in Russia and many view American philanthropy either as a waste of money or as some intricate plot to get some additional benefits.”

“That Americans make what they call “friends” in a matter of minutes — and ditch them just as fast.”

“How people feel it’s important to immediately know your first name and use it.”

“Two of my friends were visiting from Moscow, and they quickly grew to appreciate the concept of valet services. Voluntarily giving your car keys to a complete stranger is a risky proposition in many other countries.”

Some stuff is cheap, some expensive

“Petrol is around $9 a (US) gallon in England. No one from England can believe how cheap fuel is in America. Stop complaining when it’s $3.50 a gallon.”

“The cost of healthcare in this country is insane. It seems that all aspect of healthcare is designed with ‘patient must be insured’ assumption – read: charge as much as possible. Any uninsured small procedure will leave a lasting impression in your financial health for many years to come.”

Family life is different

“Many Americans would rather stay in a hotel, or at least the Americans we know. Guyanese people (or at least my family) think it’s strange that you would pay money when you have relatives to stay with, even if you can afford it.”

“Many children, even in well to do families, work in fast food, car washes and do a lot of other things to get money and it is not an embarrassment.”

“You haven’t spoken to your family in more than a month?”

“The children here are allowed to do whatever they want, without corporal punishment, and are largely disrespectful to their elders. In Philippines, there were four generations of one family living under the same roof — sometimes the same bed. Here, children leave home and put their parents in nursing homes.”

We have it pretty darn good

“I’ve noticed that most Americans roughly have the same standard of living. Everybody has access to ample food, everybody shops at the same supermarkets, malls, stores, etc. I’ve seen plumbers, construction workers and janitors driving their own sedans, which was quite difficult for me to digest at first since I came from a country where construction workers and plumbers lived hand to mouth.”

“I don’t think there’s any such thing as a car seat in India. And parents carry their children mostly, most people can’t afford strollers here.”

“How well elderly live, even those on SSI and Medicaid. How many services are available to them.”

“My Russian in-laws were shocked when they found out that we get packages left on our doorstep and no one steals them. They were also shocked by buffets. My father-in-law told everyone back in Moscow, “No, really! You just pay to enter!”

“The typical supermarket has at least a hundred varieties of frozen pizza, 50 brands of trail mix, etc. I was just astounded by the different kinds of products available even at small gas station convenience stores.”

“The cashier gave me an empty cup when I ordered soda. The concept of virtually unlimited soda refills was alien to me, and I thought there was a catch to it, but apparently not.”

“Why individual houses are so large? We always get into discussion that house is not just a shelter, but also a manifestation of one’s financial achievements.”

“My garbage disposal eats better than most of the children in the world.”

Were any of these surprises a surprise to you? What do you think about the way people from other countries view ours? Leave a comment below, or on our Facebook page.

32 Quotes Revealing What Foreigners Find Amazing About America - Yahoo Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/32-quotes-revealing-foreigners-amazing-150030107.html)

SRBIJA
24th November 2013, 02:31
::rs

Not everyone likes Novak Djokovic here
We are not Russian pets
We are not all brave
::at/::ch/::de are our favourite immigration destinations
Most of us like to spend their summer holidays in ::gr
Not everything is happening in Belgrade here
We are not uncivilized

Will try to add some more someday :p

Sultana
24th November 2013, 08:40
We are not Russian pets
lol what? Show me people who think so :lol:

r3gg13
24th November 2013, 09:38
::us

More from personal experience:

People

- You might know how your neighbors look like. You might have talked to your neighbors. You might have even given them home-grown fruits or veggies. HOWEVER, it is highly likely that you don't know their name.
- Fast pace of friendship. You detach as quickly as you warm up to someone.
- Family members are distant from one another. Even at home, people tend to stay in different rooms, eat at different times, and barely talk to one another.
- People are generally private which is ironic because we are generally social as a society.
- People have small talk everywhere. Whether you are waiting in line or looking for a book in a library, you will end up having small talk with people around you.
- People are generally courteous. People smile, and nod to strangers upon making eye-contact.
- THOUGH, staring is considered a big taboo.
- Personal bubble is big. If at all possible, we prefer having an arm's length of distance in all directions from one another.
- People don't carry much cash on them. We use debit or credit cards on everything.
- Materialism and Consumerism are practically religions.
- Contrary to what media might portray, we aren't violent people.
- Although we tend to be conservative by Western standards, we are very tolerant.
- No one ever refers to themselves as American when in America. You refer to yourself as your heritage or your ethnicity.
- However, we are loud by default.
- We are also a very competitive nation.
- When people say amazing they don't really mean amazing. That's just our way of saying "ok" or "satisfactory."
- We go home relatively early after a night out. A late night out would be going home at 2 to 3 in the morning.
- People are over medicated. The view of medicine here is mostly reactionary than preventative.

Food/Commodities

- A lot of variety of the same exact thing. For instance, there are about 10 brands that peddle items that resemble Cocoa Puffs. They taste the same too! :lol:.
- This was the same with cars, but much less now. There was a point when badge engineering was so prevalent. There were cars that looked exactly the same but with different badges. i.e. Dodge Caravan / Chrysler Town and Country / Plymouth Voyager. Same exact car, different badges.
- You can take your left-overs home, even from a higher-end restaurant.
- A lot of stores and restaurants are open 24/7.
- The soda cups are huge BECAUSE you fill 3/4 of it with ice!
- Refill! You can refill your glass/cup with soda as much as you want.
- Due to the refill policy, all soda cup sizes are the same price in most fast food chain.
- We put ice on everything. Want water? We'll fill the glass with ice. THEN, we put water.
- Everyone carries a Nalgene/Camelbak bottle everywhere.
- BULK buying. People like to buy everything in bulk and in sizes that can last you for years. People seriously go to Costco to get 48 rolls of toilet paper and 1 liter shampoo bottles.
- Price match. Stores will match their competitors' price if they're selling the same exact product. Show them an ad from a competitor with a lower price, they will give you the lower price.
- Return policies. As long as you have the receipt and tags for things, you can return them to the store, even clothing items.

Random tidbits

- Distance between work/home/stores is big. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to walk to the nearest grocery store to my house.
- You never walk anywhere. Instead you drive.
- American houses are rarely built out of brick, cinder blocks, or "heavy-duty" materials.
- You don't see high-rises outside of major cities. Urban planning here is mostly horizontal, not vertical.
- Clothes dryer is not viewed as a luxury here.
- Forming and respecting the order of a line/queue is a big thing.

LakZaNokte
24th November 2013, 11:21
when it comes to americans, i was mostly surprised how polite they are xshrug
and the competitive thing too, that is off the scale for my standards :lol:
(btw, big difference between being competitive and bragging (or bragging with lies :roll:); competition can be healthy on a normal scale while bragging is always unbearable xpuke)

r3gg13
24th November 2013, 17:22
Lak, some Americans have the tendency to put themselves on a pedestal. It's just that we are made to think that we are exceptional and wonderful individuals. We hear this from home, from school, from sports, from all sorts of competition that we participate in as individuals. So, that idea gets stuck on our minds.

About bragging with lies, it's almost like an extension of the "fake it until you make it" attitude. It does happen.

dragvision
24th November 2013, 20:10
how we think about usa
Usa mean america, we use the world america for usa
many sit com and telefilm but real tv from usa here
the best friend for italy
so modern laws about many question like gay, procreation and generally many modern and slow for the work words.
many mixed people and races from around the world.
puritan people.

LakZaNokte
24th November 2013, 21:22
Lak, some Americans have the tendency to put themselves on a pedestal. It's just that we are made to think that we are exceptional and wonderful individuals. We hear this from home, from school, from sports, from all sorts of competition that we participate in as individuals. So, that idea gets stuck on our minds.

About bragging with lies, it's almost like an extension of the "fake it until you make it" attitude. It does happen.
i was actually trying to explain that u can be very competitive without bragging but now i see i failed xrofl2

r3gg13
25th November 2013, 10:52
i was actually trying to explain that u can be very competitive without bragging but now i see i failed xrofl2

I see, sorry about my misinterpretation :oops:. Though both types of Americans exist! :mrgreen:

Charly
25th November 2013, 16:11
::ma

We're not poor
We're not woman beaters
Woman & Men are Equal
Muslims Jews & Christians have no hate against each other including Muslims & the current Islamic Government funds Jewish synagogues
Over 95% Approve the King and his reforms for more freedom
We are the only 1s who knew how Argan oil works
We are not cheap, the price for a car is triple the price of the cars in UK and other EU Countries, the price of Smoke salmon is double the price and other goods
We are soon to become a mini Dubai

Our views on ::us
We view them as a friend and ally
We have no intention of breaking the longest friendship treaty in the world which started in the 1700s
They bring us money and tourists, we bring them gifts and welcomeness

Our view on ::il
We have no hostilities on Israel
Many Israelis visit Morocco for either holiday or to visit family we have no problem with that
Israelis are welcome to visit and so Moroccans when visiting Israel

vatroslav_cro
25th November 2013, 18:27
Short about us, this time in pictures......:p
http://i44.tinypic.com/2ymircy.jpg

Some people here maybe won't agree (of course some things in these pics are JOKE) :)

Scooby
25th November 2013, 19:32
::rs

Most of us like to spend their summer holidays in ::gr

We are not uncivilized

We are not normal :lol:
Jebeš mu mater ako smo mi normalna nacija

Actually we love Greece like that is our country

SRBIJA
25th November 2013, 20:11
We are not normal :lol:
Jebeš mu mater ako smo mi normalna nacija

Actually we love Greece like that is our country

Fully agreed :lol:

AshleyWright
27th November 2013, 00:08

-We're not all snobbish, southern living, fox hunting, Margaret Thatcher loving, conservative voting, royalist fanatics.
-We don't all think our language is the best in the world.
-We do clean our teeth, despite popular belief.
-We love tea, get over it.
-We do like Europe, and we're not obsessed with America and aspire to be the 51st state. In fact many brits have a very low opinion of America.
-We're not all super nostalgic of the glorious good ol' days when Britain ruled the waves and much of the globe.
-English are not slave driving, power hungry, Scottish/Welsh/Northern Irish suppressing, Scottish hating people.
-Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish people are not all country folk who spend too much time with their sheep.
-And we all do like each other and get along. *shock* *horror*

esc87fan
27th November 2013, 06:46
::ca
* We don't say "eh" or "aboot"
* We love more sports than hockey (we DO have a professional baseball and basketball team in Toronto!)
* It's not always cold here
* Canadians are NOT always polite
* No, we all don't live in igloos
* Our main exports are not back bacon and maple syrup

r3gg13
27th November 2013, 09:59
::ca
* We don't say "eh" or "aboot"

But you guys say "shedule" right? :mrgreen:

aletem
28th November 2013, 08:05
But you guys say "shedule" right? :mrgreen:
shedule? You mean schedule, right? If schedule, then yes. :D

aletem
28th November 2013, 08:18
::be

- We don't all drink beer with our meal.

But Hoegaarden is a great beer!! :mrgreen:

zoyuxi
4th March 2014, 18:02
On Urban Dictionary, there is one definition of "Estonian" that has this: You can distinguish "kodu Eestlased" native Estonians from non-Estonian born Estonians by their lanky, disproportionate limbs (ex. legs and arms looking like the appendages of a daddy long leg spider)....Karl has long disproportionate arms and legs and appears to be a Viking. Karl must be an Estonian.

Urban Dictionary: Estonian (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Estonian)

I'd like to know: where did the long limb thing come from? Did people actually make that observation? Estonians, what do you say?

lilka
4th March 2014, 20:30
Such a nice thread!

::pl
- we are not drunk of vodka all the time
- we do complain about nearly everything, this one is actually true :lol:
- we are not hostile towards foreigners
- we speak foreign languages
- "kurwa" is not our favourite word
- we are not lazy
- there are more cities and other places worth seeing in Poland than just Cracow and Warsaw
- Fryderyk Chopin was Polish, Maria SKŁODOWSKA-Curie was Polish
- we are not thieves, only our politicians are.

greece
4th March 2014, 21:19
Such a nice thread!

- we are not drunk of vodka all the time
- we do complain about nearly everything, this one is actually true :lol:
- we are not hostile towards foreigners
- we speak foreign languages
- we are not lazy
- there are more cities and other places worth seeing in Poland than just Cracow and Warsaw
- Fryderyk Chopin was Polish, Maria SKŁODOWSKA-Curie was Polish
- we are not thieves, only our politicians are.

One friend of mine said my like that today and he said that it's a bad word in Polish...
What does it means?

lilka
4th March 2014, 21:37
It means "whore", but we use it as the English "f uck". An example: "f uck, I'll miss the bus again".
However, "kurwa" is stronger than "****" and more vulgar.

SRBIJA
4th March 2014, 21:48
Basic meaning of kurva in Serbian is: woman who sleeps with men for money. But nowadays it's also used to describe girls who change their partners very often.

But I've heard that in Polish it's more like 'Oh sh!t' or something. :lol: I was indeed very surprised seeing that Poles use that word way too often but then I found out about its meaning. :lol:

lilka
4th March 2014, 23:14
Basic meaning of kurva in Serbian is: woman who sleeps with men for money. But nowadays it's also used to describe girls who change their partners very often.

But I've heard that in Polish it's more like 'Oh sh!t' or something. :lol: I was indeed very surprised seeing that Poles use that word way too often but then I found out about it's meaning. :lol:

A nice euphemism. :lol:

Celia
5th March 2014, 00:17
kurva seems to mean the same in all Eastern European countries. It's one of the few things my Romanian friend taught that I still remember :lol: (she taught me even worse ones :lol:)

r3gg13
5th March 2014, 03:40

-We're not all snobbish, southern living, fox hunting, Margaret Thatcher loving, conservative voting, royalist fanatics.
-We don't all think our language is the best in the world.
-We do clean our teeth, despite popular belief.
-We love tea, get over it.
-We do like Europe, and we're not obsessed with America and aspire to be the 51st state. In fact many brits have a very low opinion of America.
-We're not all super nostalgic of the glorious good ol' days when Britain ruled the waves and much of the globe.
-English are not slave driving, power hungry, Scottish/Welsh/Northern Irish suppressing, Scottish hating people.
-Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish people are not all country folk who spend too much time with their sheep.
-And we all do like each other and get along. *shock* *horror*

Funny thing, the Brits that I've met during my abroad-term either totally loved or totally hated USA.

One of them would make fun of the whole "Walmart Culture" and the odd things that happen in Florida :lol:

Another one was head-over-heals about New York City :lol:

Both of the ones I talked about have been to USA, so I would say that their opinions are based mostly on their experiences.

nofuxCZ
5th March 2014, 05:55

Lies xbeee

:p btw, we use that word very often and it also has a "universal" meaning here too :D

greece
5th March 2014, 06:05

But I've heard that in Polish it's more like 'Oh sh!t' or something. :lol: I was indeed very surprised seeing that Poles use that word way too often but then I found out about it's meaning. :lol:

So I have to kill him now xjason
Thank you :D

AshleyWright
5th March 2014, 08:27
Funny thing, the Brits that I've met during my abroad-term either totally loved or totally hated USA.

One of them would make fun of the whole "Walmart Culture" and the odd things that happen in Florida :lol:

Another one was head-over-heals about New York City :lol:

Both of the ones I talked about have been to USA, so I would say that their opinions are based mostly on their experiences.

A lot of "hate" is based on stereotype and religious/walmart culture (also Americas love of guns), it's the same how some call Brits Slave driving imperialists (which is ironic considering how history with slavery) some "hate" does come from how America always seems to interfere with everything, everywhere and then expect the UK and other countries to help. Anyway I wouldn't say people hate America, just get annoyed with it.

MyHeartIsYours
5th March 2014, 11:32
^ I've always found that interesting, because rather it is us who love to involve ourselves in things the most, but depend on America to come with us because we dont have the force to do it alone anymore ;). I guess they're just politically uniformed people however, you cannot expect much more from them.

r3gg13
5th March 2014, 16:38
A lot of "hate" is based on stereotype and religious/walmart culture (also Americas love of guns), it's the same how some call Brits Slave driving imperialists (which is ironic considering how history with slavery) some "hate" does come from how America always seems to interfere with everything, everywhere and then expect the UK and other countries to help. Anyway I wouldn't say people hate America, just get annoyed with it.

About the interference it's pretty much a double-edged sword. If we interfere we get flamed for it, if we don't we get flamed for that as well. We usually just laugh at it and take the "hate" lightly.

^ I've always found that interesting, because rather it is us who love to involve ourselves in things the most, but depend on America to come with us because we dont have the force to do it alone anymore ;). I guess they're just politically uniformed people however, you cannot expect much more from them.

Sure there are politically uninformed people in USA, as there are in any country. BUT, saying that you can't expect Americans to know any better (or expect much more than ignorance from us) is just plain condescending. I'm perfectly fine with criticism, but I won't take outright condescension...

AshleyWright
5th March 2014, 17:13
Sure there are politically uninformed people in USA, as there are in any country. BUT, saying that you can't expect Americans to know any better (or expect much more than ignorance from us) is just plain condescending. I'm perfectly fine with criticism, but I won't take outright condescension...

I think he meant the people in the UK who moan about America interfering everywhere.

MyHeartIsYours
5th March 2014, 20:25
I was talking about some British people :p

r3gg13
5th March 2014, 22:32
I was talking about some British people :p

Well, I apologize for my rather harsh comment, then :mrgreen:

MyHeartIsYours
5th March 2014, 23:29
Dont worry bout it ;)

eerik
15th March 2014, 01:29
On Urban Dictionary, there is one definition of "Estonian" that has this: You can distinguish "kodu Eestlased" native Estonians from non-Estonian born Estonians by their lanky, disproportionate limbs (ex. legs and arms looking like the appendages of a daddy long leg spider)....Karl has long disproportionate arms and legs and appears to be a Viking. Karl must be an Estonian.

Urban Dictionary: Estonian (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Estonian)

I'd like to know: where did the long limb thing come from? Did people actually make that observation? Estonians, what do you say?

Wait, what? I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.

zoyuxi
26th March 2014, 15:46
Wait, what? I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.

Yeah, I don't know either.

greece
30th March 2014, 16:15
I will try...so about ::gr

-We are not so poor as the people think (we are even more :lol:)
-We are not lazy
-Our tranditional food isn't gyros but beans soup
-We belong netiher Balkans nor in Mediterranean.We are something in the middle
-We have many common words with Italian and Turkish

I can't remember something else