ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

MopManMoss

Veteran
Tbh I always forget Eurovision is advertised as a family show

Put the little shits in bed and LETS SEE SOME MEN
To be fair we live in some of the only countries where it is on at a reasonable time and is more accessible for families, most of Europe it's on pretty late

HarryUK

Veteran
To be fair we live in some of the only countries where it is on at a reasonable time and is more accessible for families, most of Europe it's on pretty late
You say that as if my friend in Croatia wasn’t doing the Rim Tim Tagi Dim dance with her 4 year old niece during the split screen :LOL:

Aitonimi

I don't get why brits got 0 from public. The show was pretty amazing as a live performance, that was a pretty complex choreo, and well done with the camera work! Song was pretty great! Singing not too bad! Deserved more!

MooseShoes

Tbh I always forget Eurovision is advertised as a family show

Put the little shits in bed and LETS SEE SOME MEN
As someone with kids I was going to complain about this.

Then I remembered that neither of them liked Luktelk so they can sod off.

ArmpitOfEurope

Im still shocked about the result this got, I -....
I mean, not a single tele point with impressive staging and a memorable, provocative theme? It seemed impactful to me ( I ended up voting for it )
Of course it had its cons ( not competitive enough as a song, weird facial impressions ) but not even 30-40 tele??

Last edited:

toinou03

Well, there was all the controversy around the staging, which I liked for its originality, although being dubious on "that moment".
At the end of the day, the audience choses... and hated it.
I would have never imagined it getting 0 from the public ! Because it is a good song, but not impactful enough, and the vocals in the final were very very bad.
It's a shame because for once the BBC tried very hard (and not picked some random people in Yorkshire with a random ballad...) and chose a biggish name. And it had a James Newman effect... Probably people expect more from the UK, I'd say...

jatojo

It's a shame because for once the BBC tried very hard (and not picked some random people in Yorkshire with a random ballad...) and chose a biggish name. And it had a James Newman effect... Probably people expect more from the UK, I'd say...

The problem is that the relation between being a succesful pop artist and getting success at Eurovision has weakened. The average successful pop song is doing badly at Eurovision because the public and the juries are looking for something extraordinary. Midtempo songs are almost per se not extraordinary.

I'm not a fan of this tendency, but that's how it is. If I were an established pop singer, I wouldn't risk participating at Eurovision these days.

SpiritofKeiino

The problem is that the relation between being a succesful pop artist and getting success at Eurovision has weakened. The average successful pop song is doing badly at Eurovision because the public and the juries are looking for something extraordinary. Midtempo songs are almost per se not extraordinary.

I'm not a fan of this tendency, but that's how it is. If I were an established pop singer, I wouldn't risk participating at Eurovision these days.
It is high risk alright. It has paid off for Slimane (an established French artist), but he came to Malmo with a much stronger package than the UK. I'm sure there are other names who regret participating.

jatojo

It is high risk alright. It has paid off for Slimane (an established French artist)

He is an example of an artist who can do it relatively risk free: He has a very strong voice. And you can't take that away from him even if people don't vote massively in his favour. Same with Hera Björk. But if you are a, say, Zara Larsson kind of artist, then many will look at what you did wrong if you don't get a top result. And the disappointment may stick to you.

That's one of the reasons why Norway and Sweden are successful at song contests. Many of their best singers are used to participating at shows that involve some kind of voting, and although many of them don't win, they just come back the next year or at some other contest. In many other countries, it's not like that at all.

Top Bottom