Contact us

Miss Universe (and similar shows)

A-lister

Veteran
So for the first time in a very long time I watched some of this year's Miss Universe. I used to watch it when I was a kid with my mum but haven't really cared much for years (I kinda check out the winner and try to see who the finalists are and the country delegates presentation though, the latter has always been the most fun of the show).

Is it just me or is it completely corrupt though? It's pretty much always the same countries qualifying, no matter how they look even at times and it's like if you don't have some sort of Latin roots (I use the term "latin" a bit vaguely here, as long as it's latin american, "asian latin" aka Philippines, black latin or European latin) chances of becoming a finalist is almost zero (except if you're from Australia, India or South Africa or some random one each year). It's almost comical how made up the contest is.

I mean the concept as it is is a bit dated at this time and age in general, but it can still be entertaining if you don't take it too seriously, but still they should at least try to make it not so obviously made up.

Also why the heck is ruZZia allowed to still enter? I mean the girl was pretty (objectively was in my top ranking) but still, leaves a bit of bad taste.

And when did the so called National costumes go from actually being National costumes (or at least close to it) to just made up Playboy outfits? Also, I thought Miss Universe as a brand didn't allow plastic surgeries, many of the candidates these days clearly had jobs done, a bit sad but I guess reflective of the awful instagram and "influencer" times we live in.

Last edited:

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Asian countries tend to do very well in the competition, though. This year was an exception. And Latin America was in a ~crisis a few years ago because they spent several years getting so close to victory but not snatching it (from 2015 to 2019). No wonder these two continents (particular focus on Spanish Latin America and Southeast Asia) are the ones with the biggest public.

This year's winner was soooooo rigged, though. I was so mad I had to stay awake until 4 am just to see the lady who went over her 30 seconds win whereas the other two did their jobs within the time limit (and DR had a better response, by the way). USA privileges, etc.

Also, national contests also tend to be rigged as well. Brazil's was, at least. Ah, on plastic surgeries, in theory it is not forbidden, just discouraged. As some rule restrictions were lifted up this year (married misses and misses who are mothers can compete), they might change this discouragement soon.

Top Bottom